Phantasy Star Thread

Attached: Phantasy_Star_Online-art3.jpg (1024x768, 277K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ucsfnbsDv9c
youtube.com/watch?v=VwIDdmUczqM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: Phantasy_Star_Online-art.jpg (1024x768, 273K)

Do the right thing, Sega.

Make this back compatible on xbone.

Do it.

Please.

Clementine when

Isn't it already playable?

Good fucking question.

Honestly they’re being assholes by not releasing what they have worked on and updating it when needed.

Can you play the story mode of PSO:BB offline? Like if I downloaded a client of PSO:BB without logging in to any server whatsoever. Can I still play the singleplayer component?

Attached: phantasy_star_portable_2_french.jpg (2560x1600, 509K)

There is a crap server with barely anything working while they work finishing the proper server. But like I said, it would be better if they released what they have and updated it when needed.

>tfw nobody ever bothered to do a translation patch on infinity or Nova

Wat.

There is a translation of nova on arks layer.

Episode 5 when?

heh

Attached: smug_asuka.png (1280x720, 412K)

One that hasn't been touched in 3+ months and barely has anything

>not playing one of several fine private servers

This game is still alive

I’m surprised there’s a translation for vita pso2 on there. Might get a vita and put that on.

WHAT DO YOU WANT SEGA TO DO NEXT, PHANTASY STAR-WISE? After PSO2 slows down,
1. Another MMO, i.e. PSO3?
2. Pure singleplayer ala the original quadrilogy?
3. Another online-focused but with single-player component, ala PS Nova and PS Portable?

Attached: wrong_neighbourhood.jpg (682x247, 157K)

Attached: Phantasy_Star_Online-art2.jpg (1024x768, 268K)

Something online for sure. I love teaming up with people in these games.

To start, fuck online and mmo shit. I want another Phantasy Star portable

Portable was really fun. I never got around to playing Portable 2 even though everyone says it's an improvement over one. I did actually import the Jap version of Portable 2 Infinity though, but lo and behold just as I'm about to play it, my PSP's stick started acting up and I still have not fixed it.

Attached: phantasy_star_online_logo.jpg (350x164, 22K)

I reckon the Phantasy Star games could make a decent strategy game imho. Can be tactical ala Advance Wars or role-playing like Shining Force. That'd be fun.

Attached: advance_wars_clones.png (934x1618, 2.21M)

I'll take anything as long as the designs don't look like PSO2. What a fucking trash fire. Also I'm happy with jumping being removed entirely. We have dodging and other abilities

You can run your own local server and connect to that, yeah. I wouldn't bother. Surely it is better to just do it online (you can password your game if you really want) and when you do feel like not being an antisocial wanker you can play with the same character.

But yes, if you download the server and the client that goes with it you can play without an active internet connection.

>tfw I'll never experience 4 player local splitscreen on this game ever again
I miss it so much. What a goddamn legendary game.
Was PSO2 a worthy successor? I never tried it

Attached: 1420349254.jpg (550x366, 28K)

>Was PSO2 a worthy successor?
It is a very different game and always was but it was good nevertheless. Please do notice I speak of it in the past tense.

PSO2 is shite and it resembles Sword Art Online more than it does the aesthetic and gameplay of the previous games.

>"They're assholes"

You have no right to their work.

Remake PSOBB basically.

>Make sure your server runs stable before release, your servers are managed like ASS. Hire some westerners who know networking, you japanese devs have NO IDEA what you're doing, its quite obvious.
>Fix the hackability of your game before release, like seriously. Fuck your "japanese pride", let western developers work on your security. Sonic team has no idea what its doing when it comes to hacking prevention
>add areas
>update some of the mechanics, add new enemy attacks, give them better movement AI. etc. Give characters the PSZ dodge roll, and let players recovery roll after being knocked down ala smash brothers to get back up quicker
>Fix stat growth
>Fix the class imbalance
>Fix how broken charge is. A special should not invalidate "End game" weapons, just because it sacrifices money. Or remove charge entirely.
>add at least 3-4 more faces for each class, and clothing/head options.

Also
>Fuck your cash shops
>Fuck your dressup game trap degeneracy

>I'll take anything as long as the designs don't look like PSO2
Not happening for a long time. Phantasy Star's art design just follows whatever the trends in manga and anime happens to be.

Bullshit, the Phantasy Star series shared the same aesthetic until Phantasy Star Universe. That's a whole 19 years it stayed the same, since PSO was clearly a Phantasy Star title going by the enemy, weapon & outfit designs.

Then suddenly Universe has everyone looking like faggots and you tell me it was always like that?

I don't think Universe's artstyle was *that* far removed from PSO's.

Attached: Phantasy_Star_Universe.jpg (256x324, 27K)

Thanks mate. I already have downloaded and backed-up a local client but I wasn't too sure if I could play the story mode offline.

>Fuck your dressup game trap degeneracy
But I liked that aspect in PSO2

Attached: fag_sniffing_hair.jpg (2335x2507, 685K)

Man, the art for PSO was legendary-tier.

Attached: Phantasy_Star_Online-art4.jpg (1024x768, 287K)

CASTs are cool. Best race.

>suddenly no class wears armor
>clearly designed more for dress up than combat
Yeah, no difference at all

option 3 because pso2 is malignant cancer and everything wrong with a mmo.

its a button mashing adhd anime waifu dressup game wearing a pso skin

>1. Another MMO, i.e. PSO3?

Don't make me choke you. Just give me another PSO game like the 1st one.

Attached: 1352263766841.jpg (629x817, 96K)

Emulate the GameCube version and have some buds over, that shits split screen and could be a blast. Otherwise yeah you can do it solo

A release of something in the west besides switch ports.

Attached: images.jpg (137x204, 9K)

Now hang on, that's *too* optimistic.

Attached: loli_let_me_tell_you_why_that's_horse_shit.jpg (1024x672, 191K)

Is GameCube emulation decent enough for an action game like PSO?

Reminder that PS Zero exists and is a decent entry in the series. Although, I have to say that the technical limitations of the DS really holds it back imho.
>low draw distance
>shit resolution makes differentiating enemies from afar difficult
>areas and locales too simplistic due to memory constraints
But it's still a good PS game.

Attached: sarisa_phantasy_star_zero.jpg (553x674, 197K)

Zero was pretty good, I only wish that my friends would have played it with me. Not nearly as fun when you're solo.
I'd enjoy a sequel or continuation.

The story ended up being enjoyable enough in my opinion. I wouldn't mind a sequel or even a prequel. Also Sarisa a cutie.

Wasn't there a tentacle reference with her?

guys lets just make our own pso game with everything that made the original good.

Yes there was. It was innocuos enough, unless you chose *that* dialogue choice. It was something like "wanting to watch her" or something like that. Sarisa's cute though, personality-wise. Wouldn't mind a MILF Sarisa if they make Zero Part 2.

Attached: phantasy_star_artbook.jpg (500x705, 147K)

I definitely chose that option.

You monster.

Attached: waah.png (609x632, 300K)

so..... you gonna dump it or just post the cover

I love Nei!

Attached: 027c6ddaaa11b8b0904127a5fcc0efb2729241ac.jpg (800x1200, 310K)

Nei's pretty cute.

Sorry, no plans to scan it. Only have one copy and don't want to spread it wide open out of fear of damaging the spine. I suppose I can take a couple pics of the contents though.

Attached: 20190311_224433.jpg (3264x1836, 2.48M)

I want another game with the aesthetic of PSO and PSU.
Looking at Plant Wisp from Sonic Colors I kind of thought that's what that game would be, but Planet Wisp is the only area in that game that embodies PSO's artstyle.

Attached: 1545308266952.png (752x1350, 2.41M)

Attached: 20190311_224608.jpg (3264x1836, 2.26M)

Realistically speaking, when's another Phantasy Star gonna come out? I suppose both PSO2 and Idola are doing well enough that SEGA does not feel pressured to put out another entry.

Attached: 20190311_224615.jpg (3264x1836, 2.2M)

Attached: 20190311_224628.jpg (3264x1836, 2.44M)

Attached: 20190311_224639.jpg (3264x1836, 2.07M)

PSO2 has a 10 year plan and we are on year 5 or 6 so you'll be waiting for at least somewhere in the region of 5-7 years

I'm going to tell you an uncomfortable truth: PSO2 is a better game than PSO.

PSO has great visual design, music and story, but PSO2 is more fun to play as an MMO. It's just a straight upgrade in terms of gameplay and character customization. Don't even try to call me a newfag or zoomer. I've been playing PSO since version 1. In fact, I was playing PSOBB on Ephinea until about two months ago before I made the switch to PSO2. I can't go back. I can't ever go back.

Attached: 1551845094883.png (1920x1080, 2.56M)

>psu

haram

Shame it's not translated, but thanks for showing pics it's nice to have a peek at least

Haven't played since EP2 or so, planning on coming back for EP6, how is the power creep in PSO2?

>Haven't played since EP2
>how is the power creep in PSO2?

Attached: 1551387996022.jpg (512x738, 44K)

Attached: 448836439.png (528x1100, 324K)

Oh no

I lost faith in PSO2 when they went Isekai fantasy over Sci-fi
fuck Episode 5

This is the truth, anyone saying they played Pso1 alot tried 2 and hated didn't actually play it when Pso2 was really good, they jumped in at Ep4-5 when the damage to the game's rep was way past done.

>Shame it's not translated
Yeah thats a bummer. There's even an interview in here that might hold some nice tidbits.

Attached: 20190311_231322.jpg (3264x1836, 2.15M)

PSU looks great though.
I know it's not very popular to those who grew up with PSO, but it's far more true to the PSO identity than PSO2 will ever be.

I got my start with the series playing PSU:O before eventually being introduced to PSO from friends I played PSU with.

Attached: 03-03-06-27.jpg (478x358, 78K)

Attached: 1552264753428.jpg (597x643, 95K)

PSOfags are literally the worst. They will continue to hate anything that isn't the original PSO+BB for the rest of eternity. I say this as someone who grew up playing PSO but isn't a faggot.

At least Sega can acknowledge when they fucked up

Okay, one more pic. The artbook has like 30 pages dedicated to rough sketches. Very nice.

Attached: 20190311_231603.jpg (3264x1836, 2.35M)

It took them a whole episode and only with a new director and a year of japs bitching

>Even Sega knows and acknowledges they fucked up and strayed so far away from this games intended path.

>not EP4
haha dude what if the first 60% of the story is SoL garbage with awful characters xDDDD

Hitsugi was cute

Attached: 1548929485808.jpg (1072x1500, 551K)

And they still can't officially announce and apologize to the west that they fucked up in trusting the overseas release to a chinese company which lost them the rights to localize the brand.

>mfw watching the Episode 6 trailer and seeing that they stopped the isekai shit
Like yeah it was cute in Ep4 to run around Tokyo and Vegas and the like but Episode 5 just flat out went full Isekai. Sega's even doing an anime about Ep1-3 of the game instead of the dumpster fire the original anime was so they definitely seem to realize they fucked it up.

Attached: 1531266553244.gif (165x142, 100K)

People like to do a ton of PSO vs PSO2 comparisons but the true tragedy is there will never ever be another story-focused single-player Phantasy Star RPG.

Attached: Phantasy_Star_EotM_cover.jpg (256x355, 126K)

>it's far more true to the PSO identity than PSO2 will ever be.
true

story mode was awful though

>Sega's even doing an anime about Ep1-3 of the game instead of the dumpster fire the original anime was so they definitely seem to realize they fucked it up.
Source? neat if true

>Sega's even doing an anime about Ep1-3
that's what the first Anime should have been about to begin with

I want to play phantasy star again, I played zero when I was younger, never beat it though, what is the best one?

NEW PSO2 ANIME
NEW PSO2 ANIME
NEW PSO2 ANIME
youtube.com/watch?v=ucsfnbsDv9c
NEW PSO2 ANIME
NEW PSO2 ANIME
NEW PSO2 ANIME

Attached: crows_zero_serizawa.jpg (800x534, 39K)

Portable and Portable 2 were basically just a ports of PSU which was PSO's successor

Attached: 1551042550138.jpg (385x385, 27K)

shes cute but thats about her only good point

Itsuki and Rina where cute but the anime was garbage
But how bad is this new anime gonna be with Self insert-kun and his pseudo harem?

Attached: 1541349281502.jpg (850x850, 231K)

Nice

>what is the best one?
Depends on what you want.
>a singleplayer experience
Phantasy Star 4
>old online goodness
PSO:BB on a private server
>portable experience
Phantasy Star Portable 2. Has online but it's likely dead.
>the most active community right now
PSO2

Attached: phantasy_star_portable_little_wing.jpg (2560x1600, 504K)

I liked the anime
I liked the isekai

What's so bad about them? You got 3 episodes of "sci-fi" and then two episodes of alternate worlds. That's fun. I think you people get upset about things that doesn't even really matter just because you just want to be angry and seem like you have "patrician" views on things.

PSO2: Episode Oracle is the name of it

>story mode was awful though
True, but I always felt it was meant to be just a shallow battle shounen anime thing, it even had the same episodic structure with each chapter.
I absolutely love how it looks though.

Attached: Parum.jpg (1280x720, 110K)

Yeah just saw thisThanks though

HOW ABOUT A NEW GAME

Attached: 20190223153922_1.jpg (1920x1080, 277K)

Because Phantasy Star is about it's Sci-fi setting, It's a Sci-fi game series.

Here, have Idola.

Attached: phantasy_idola.jpg (1000x563, 181K)

Phantasy Star has always had fantasy and medieval elements, though. Also, alternate dimensions is a sci-fi concept. A sci-fi character being put into a fantasy setting is as old as sci-fi itself.

>barely has anything
I'll give you story but as far as gameplay goes Nova is very playable, you'll only really start having issues with SH+ which is beyond plat trophy

This person here is correct. As good as PSO2 was at launch up till EP3, the game is too bloated and no longer salvageable.

*ahem*

FUCK BLACK HOUND AND FUCK BLACK PAPER

Old Phantasy Star and it's Medival fantasy was meshed and complimented nicely into sci-fi. Episode 5 was literally nothing but generic fantasy bullshit and no Sci-fi. That's the whole problem

>and no Sci-fi
The plot revolved around the fantasy world misidentifying photons as magic.

>droplets in a cup count as serving water to a customer

At least you Phantasybros still have a game. Us Shiningfags have been suffering for a very long time.

Attached: 1461126907406.jpg (1000x500, 249K)

Attached: ss_book1_simone.jpg (500x476, 86K)

PSO2 is by no means a bad game, but it is not better, at least in the state I left it in (ep5). Both are good for different reasons. PSO2 is basically monster hunter in space with fun to fight bosses, but the rest of the game where you run around in circles killing weak trash is extremely boring. And this is what PSO did well. Instead of "spam aoe PA" you make specific choices of weapons to use,status, and in general you have to make choices on how you approach a group of enemies. But PSO's bosses were utter shit. I also prefer how the economy and hunting items work in PSO. PSO2 last I played was just "fuck my inventory up with as many useless stones as you can".

The sad part is the formula is there for PSO2 to not be boring as shit half the time. The original release of challenge mode proved this and was probably the best content they ever released. Power creep seriously hurt the game starting with multi class.

Haven't touched PSO2 since playing the new broken Hero class. Worth getting back into for Ep6?

Is Nei best girl across all games?

>but it is not better
It's vastly better in terms of gameplay.
>PSO2 is basically monster hunter
MH is PSO.
>I also prefer how the economy and hunting items work in PSO
Ridiculous statement. The economy was dupes and hunting items was 1/1xxx with the appropriate badge only. Absolutely terrible.

I'm just sad, this franchise is basically dead.

>try this a while ago
>nostalgiagasm for the first several hours
>beat dark falz in the ruins
>leveling already taking a fuck long time
>haven't even tried multiplayer and have no friends that played
>lose any desire to keep playing past normal
I don't know if other games have just ruined it for me. But 4 levels in >current year just doesn't feel like enough content without friends.

No it isn't

PSO2 is still very alive

>PSO2
its dead jim

they gutted it

Where have you been? Wii emulation is so perfect that it boosted GC emulation by miles. Just need to not have a toster from more than 10 years ago.

>PSO2 is a better game than PSO
No, that's just your mental illness talking. PSO2 is a very low effort gacha skinnerbox made specifically to wring money out of addicted mentally ill weeaboos like you.

>they jumped in at Ep4-5
PSO2 was complete shit since the beta. All of the problems from Ep5 were present since the game first went live.

I think a new Phantasy Star RPG with the classic style would be fucking rad. They should do that.

PSO is hardly like MH at all for reasons I already said (Bosses). PSO2 has better gameplay when you aren't running in circles murdering everything in milliseconds or managing the nightmare of tekking/inventory which was combined was over half the game last I played.

And I prefer hunting enemies, helping people hunt, etc. over jewing markets, running the same missions for money, and waiting the next EQ to start. But yes, the dupes hurt it pretty hard to the point where you needed to trade within small groups, though this is better now on servers today.

Last time I logged on I tried to find people to play with. From what I can tell people still almost exclusively party for EQs and doing anything like a buster quest was impossible. Is this still the case?

It needs and deserves an official rerelease with brand new official servers to revive the community

and a switch release
The private servers are always dead when I play

Nah, PSO is borderline shit nowadays. You spend more time adjusting your camera than you do mashing the same 1-2-3 combo against braindead enemies who just walk at you en masse and make really slow attacks while you desperately hope they drop a red box with another weapon so that you can farm for more red box weapons while you go through the ridiculously padded out exp grind towards max level (you'll never get there) in the same 9 stages that you'll run a million times with your borderline premade character with little customization other than your mag and weapon. The PSOBB community even had to artificially make the game more difficult by pumping enemy damage and defense just because it was so braindead.

This better not be about high school kids playing Phantasy Star again.

>PSO is hardly like MH at all
Dumb zoomer.

all colors report in!

Purplenum reporting in

Attached: file.png (435x424, 143K)

What's the best way to play phantasy star in this year of our lord two thousand 19?

That bad feeling when we'll never get Phantasy Star V.

Not that it's possible to top IV, but still

skyly

Attached: Kireek.jpg (900x1600, 347K)

The original, or online?

If the original, the Sega Ages version on Switch has great quality of life updates, great extra features, and the option to play it completely un-updated if you want to go in pure. It's also cheap and convenient.

>Fire everyone who worked on PSO2
>Make a new Phantasy Star dev team
>Make Phantasy Star V, a single player RPG with PSO1 art style

would be amazing

somehow i alwas got viridia

Attached: raf,750x1000,075,t,101010-01c5ca27c6.jpg (750x1000, 54K)

>retards don't know about Nova
Retards

I'm talking PSO. That shit was so fucking comfy on dreamcast. Only other phantasy star I've played was on master system.

>tfw I'm one of 4 people in the world that likes, even loves PSO3
>tfw PSO3 private server literally never

Attached: 98534767.png (633x758, 16K)

Well creatively.

>using the OCs from the intros
This is what the first anime should have been in the first place. I mean, having what was essentially a prologue to EP4 is whatever, but it shouldn't have been the first.

Attached: 1530882642629.webm (480x300, 2.84M)

Default-kun looks sexy

Enemies in PSO2, bosses aside, have the AI of shitty Musuo enemies, and if they even try to up it (original Ult Naberius) they nerf it because their players didn't want it, partially because it has massive issues. PSO did this right in making enemies predictable and not require you to react to what they do, but where they are and their formation. You know what they will do and you manipulate them as such. This works poorly vs 10 enemies having 4 different attack patterns that they will execute at any random time. It might have worked if status effects outside zondeel meant anything.

Nice argument.

>DICE
>2 and 1
Literally its only big flaw. Never got to play this one online though.

>PSO2 has terrible 14* grind were you are a slave to a schedule SEGA makes if you want to have a chance of anything unless you want to grind in EF free field
>then have to do the Affix grind which is just hoarding metesa
>can't even trade high level shit you can't use
>PSO1 feels clunky and basic as shit now

Fuck dudes, I enjoy PSO2's combat but its gear progression sucks so much ass it ruins it completely for me.

Like almost no one plays buster quest nowadays, except for some medal farmers and they usually don't run the quest all that much thanks to Buster EQ 2 give some medals upon quest clear.
There's not much to do outside of EQ so there's no point being in party all that much.

But it's easy as shit to get yourself some *15 of your own choice nowadays, though.
Weapon affix is pretty cheap as well thanks to SSA system.

youtube.com/watch?v=VwIDdmUczqM

Ah, the game that made me both love and hate MMOs. It'll always hold a special place with me (and that soundtrack is awesome), but I'll never return to it.

Attached: Seaside.jpg (1600x1200, 2.03M)

C A R D
A
R
D

REVOLUTION

Attached: 1530080388727.jpg (1280x1024, 272K)

I'd like episode 3 more if combat didn't take forever to finish.
>summoner plops themselfs in a tight spaced corner
>"Can't touch me, I'm hiding behind 7 monsters"
And then there's that 1 mission where it was 3 mission in 1. Seriously fuck that shit and, making and swapping out decks was horrible too.

its too early for this

Attached: [002800].jpg (300x57, 3K)

And garbage hitboxes