"We weren't surprised by the layoff considering how rocky the launch was," he wrote...

pcgamer.com/richard-garfield-among-those-not-working-at-valve-any-more/

>"We weren't surprised by the layoff considering how rocky the launch was," he wrote, "the team was enthusiastic about the game and were confident that they had a good product but it became clear it wasn't going to be easy to get the game to where we wanted it. The layoff makes sense for a number of reasons. To name a couple; now that the game is out there time is more critical, so more voices within the team that you have to navigate may not be as good as making less considered decisions faster. Another - the expertise that 3 donkeys brought is less critical after listening to us for 4+ years."

JUST

Attached: artifact 2.jpg (877x926, 156K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamer.com/richard-garfield-among-those-not-working-at-valve-any-more/
youtube.com/watch?v=R0qZTS38cjw
store.steampowered.com/sale/steam_machines
engadget.com/2019/03/07/sony-ps4-remote-play-ios/
boards.fireden.net/_/search/text/You better believe that was a flop/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dude looks like the state of Valve right now

And who the fuck is Richard Garfield?

lasaga

created Magic The Gathering

time for you to go, Richard

Attached: gabek.jpg (610x458, 78K)

Best way to shoot yourself in the foot by snitching to journalists. It doesn't matter what the company you worked for did or didn't do, if you talk you lose all credibility.
Nobody will hire this hack in a high position again.

>And who the fuck is Richard Garfield?

He was the king in the movie, remember?

Attached: richard garfield.jpg (1400x2100, 647K)

what happened?

Attached: gamo.jpg (850x400, 34K)

Made Magic the Gathering so people treat him like some kind of god.

What people don't realise or just ignore is he's made about 50 games since then and all of them have failed. He basically got lucky once and has coasted off this luck since then.

how many PHD's do you have, user?

One hit wonder shits out another failed game, reminder business model has nothing to do with the shit gameplay

Rofl

PFFFFFFFFFHAHAHAHHAHA
REMEMBER ALL THOSE ARTIFACT SHILLS?
OHNOONONOONONONO
*INHALES*

Now where could my game designer be?

Based

People will say "created Magic the Gather". In actuality he's that stoner friend that wants credit because he was in the room when it happened.

MTG isnt exactly a complex or well designed game either, it just happened to get popular

name a better tcg lol

LONG HAUL

not that user but this is definitely a big hit to his reputation. before artifact, i thought he really understood game design since he came up with MtG, but artifact seems to have proven otherwise. he seems to think himself infallible even though artifact perfectly demonstrated how antiquated and flawed his idea of good game design is. it seems like he has some basic ideas of how to make game mechanics and how to combine them, but he has no idea how to make those mechanics actually fun, or what people actually liked about MtG.

Its pretty complex and well designed. Tho the question is how much he had to do with it since the first iterations of mtg werent either.

It literally started popping off because they were giving out free decks wherever they went. Then it slowly got better and better. And even trough the uears with a bigger team and knowledgable people on it they had plenty of failures.

you make a fair point, now that I think about it. i was just pointing out that a PHD is quite desirable for high ranking positions.

> i thought he really understood game design since he came up with MtG, but artifact seems to have proven otherwise. he seems to think himself infallible even though artifact perfectly demonstrated how antiquated and flawed his idea of good game design is. it seems like he has some basic ideas of how to make game mechanics and how to combine them, but he has no idea how to make those mechanics actually fun, or what people actually liked about MtG.

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement.

I don't think he cares, he is set for life with those sweet Hasbro bucks.

fag boy

So the one guy who bothered to make a game for Valve in past 5 years is the one to get fired? Not those people sitting on their ass updating localization files?

completely wrong, i started playing MtG in 2016 and it's still by far the best card game i've played in my life in terms of flavor, mechanics and rules. it's the only card game with actually creative design while also maintaining very consistent rules

faggioli

>pcgamer.com/richard-garfield-among-those-not-working-at-valve-any-more/
What was he supposed to do, pretend like he still works there?

Objectively a lot of TCGs like Kaijudo and Force of Will are mechanically better because they're similar TCGs that have systems in place that remove big RNG aspects like getting mana flooded/drought without bandaid fixes in a mulligan system.

A lot of Japanese card games are better at the game or trading card aspect since some bushiroad games have amazing quality cards or card art with support in supplies and Pokemon is a multimedia merchandise king. Gamewise, something like early Vanguard was incredibly well designed, cohesive, and deceptively complex without just adding new things to the game to make it more complex.

The sad part is, most of the complexity and mechanics were introduced to MTG long after Richard Garfield had stopped working on it.

everyone was skeptical about the game

If you spend five years making a fucking shit failure of a game why wouldn't you fire him you retard

the sets designed by him (dominaria) are still good though

it seems like he can only work well when wrangled by people who understand that games should be fun, which is why he probably failed at valve and succeeds at wotc

The game was booed the moment Valve announced it all those years back to a live audience. Why Valve continued developing it after that I have no idea.

and the "comeback" sets aally regarded as some of the best of the era (Innistrad for example)

Yu-Gi-Oh

NOPE. Yea Forums was flooded with valve shills.

If you spend five years making an OS no one uses, hardware that no one uses, VR that no one uses, why wouldn't you fire them?

Pokemon :^)

Garfied has good ideas, but bad execution. If he has a good team working with him then his sets come out great. Dominaria was rad, but if they went with Richard's Sagas then it would be a lot worse.

I don't think they ever announced that he was brought in for anything other than a slightly prolonged contractual agreement. Not sure why the headlines are reporting "FIRED FROM VALVE".

The game came out and it failed to catch on. No big deal, life goes on. Hopefully Valve take notice of this and shift into making products that people will connect with again.

>Garfied has good ideas, but bad execution
>if they went with Richard's Sagas then it would be a lot worse.

???

surely you mean the opposite then, bad ideas but good execution

RNG is what makes the game fun. If your deck played the same way every time, the game would get boring fast.

prove it

Jesus Christ the game's gonna be under 500 24-hour peaks soon.

What a fucking disaster.

Artifact isn't even that bad, it's just mediocre and it has a few problems. We are spoilt for choice and are just going to gravitate towards the better games.

-Games go for too long
-Heroes being tied to cards causes deck building problems
-Not enough viable decks
-Not interesting game modes

>os
Linux fork
>hardware
Literally raspberry pi
Also it's software now
>vr
wrong

>similar TCGs that have systems in place that remove big RNG aspects like getting mana flooded/drought without bandaid fixes in a mulligan system.

What you're failing to realize is that the RNG aspects are part of what make MTG widely popular.
For the health of the game's player population, mana screw/flood is important precisely because it can let an less experienced player (like a brand new player) win occasional against their more experienced friends.
And since everyone likes winning, this means this player is more likely to keep playing the game.

Meanwhile, for the health of the competitive aspect of the game, you just never play bo1's.

lolno, nice cope though drone

I meant that they're good at the core, but they need someone to refine it.

Funny how this seems to happen frequently to people who have made great things. I can think of george lucas and richard garriott off the top of my head.

They made something great, then when they were given more control over their project it bombs.

Artifact itself, the gameplay, was pretty well liked, it really was the Monetization scheme that killed it.

Valve can fuck right off, their entire business model from top to bottom is absolute garbage, I'm so glad they no longer get a free pass with audiences like they did when they were actually making real games.

Eh, shame. Got my money's worth so I guess it's fine

Fatty fag fag

>obvious shitposting
>shilling

Yes but I got flooded once and it hurt my feelings.

>the expertise that 3 donkeys brought is less critical after listening to us for 4+ years
what did they mean by this

He fucking hates mondays

Lucas didn't do shit for Star Wars. All the stuff people liked was the responsibility of Gary Kurtz and Marcia Lucas. The original version of Star Wars was considered a trainwreck.

fuuuuuuu

No, seriously.
Before it came out, the big question was "where's the mobile version?" because if it wants to compete with Harthstone, it MUST have a mobile version

Anyone could have told them there wasnt a market for a new card game, especially not a bad one

Attached: 1526942542941.jpg (183x250, 7K)

Not so fast faggot

Attached: 1485493521506.png (500x409, 318K)

>People will say "created Magic the Gather". In actuality he's that stoner friend that wants credit because he was in the room when it happened.

Care to elaborate on this user? Or are you just making shit up

I spent 400 dollars on artifact

I'm so FUCKING mad

Attached: maxresdefault (4).jpg (1280x720, 102K)

MtG is only successful because it's literally slot machines/gacha in physical form. The game itself is terrible nonsense. All people care about is the thrill of the cards

Arena is doing pretty well, all things considered. The problem is that they came in 3 years too late.

And somehow.. Nobody was EXPECTING it to fail.. What were they thinking. That since Blizzard made Heartstone that they could so easy just copy them and make it work... Forgeting that Blizzar had the card game for a WHILLE... before they made Heartstone. What were they thinking at Valve.That they can just copy what everyone else makes and then instantly..Just because it has the Valve name behind them it being a success. If they had years behind them of having a card game. Sure, it would have worked. But not like this. This is a fucking card game based on Dota 2... a moba.. But most important based on another game. Not to mention also having people pay for the game. I can guess they were thinking, that since Blizzard sold Overwatch as a paid game.. That Valve could get away with it as well.With Overwatch it was a game that you can get stuff for leveling up and even purchasing the chests... Whille in Artifact.. you HAD to purchase new card packs.. IN a game that is MORE dependant on drops. Making it pretty much a pay to win game. As you pay for new cards.. That will make you either strong or weak.

Attached: 1537535131117.jpg (258x360, 37K)

>pcgamer.com/richard-garfield-among-those-not-working-at-valve-any-more/

What the fuck is Valve even doing at this point?

son of a hecker

Whats your point they are all financial failures

>started in 2016
>talks about complexity
Sweety no...

lmao

dont worry user the game will become populair eventually and by then you have some collecter stuff

Throwing piles of money at retarded vanity projects that goes nowhere.

You forgot the biggest problem with competitive card games: the endgame is shit.

>We weren't surprised by the layoff considering how rocky the launch was
>rocky

that's maybe the biggest understatement I've read so far this year

you are everything that is wrong in this world

Attached: 1547229097617.jpg (480x600, 41K)

umm...it's sweaty, thanks.

Going deeper than that the problem with artifact is that it has a really fucked curve where everything you do in the early game doesn't matter to shit and you win only when you have the specific set of cards or buffed enough of a lane to make it basically an unbreakable board unless the opponent draws into annihilation which is a rare fuck card

It needs a large look at it's balance and mechanics

L-lewd

Why?
I thought it was a fun game and I hoped I could collect enough cards to sell on the market bringing back my investment

But nope
The moment I did they buffed the fuck out of the shit cards, ruined the meta and then fucking ditched the game

They killed me

Attached: 1538093456190.png (700x700, 718K)

Shut up you dumb bitch, I hate card games because they are MP only games that heavily rely on RNG.

I bet you bought bitcoin at 20,000 too.

How
Like legitimately how could you even spend that much? I know that's nothing compared to the bigtime whales but what on earth justified that money in your head? At least $400 in beer provides some calorific intake. I'd rather spend that money on scratch off tickets.

no my aids immunity im balls deep in a nigger right now

If you're wondering why people thing you're everything wrong with the world while simultaneously commenting on how you dumped $400 into a game you thought was fun to try and gamble back an investment that later ended up turning to shit, you're beyond saving.

Gay

But he never "worked" there, he only contracted for one game then went back to work on some other tcg somewhere else.

>financial failures
Are you actually retarded?

Nice try, but no dice on that immunity cancel! YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE!

Attached: Immunity dog..jpg (480x600, 53K)

No please enlighten me to the massive success of Steam Machines, Steam OS, Steam Link, Steam Controller, and Vive.

I'M SORRY I TRIED TO HAVE FUN user

MAYBE I SHOULD BE LIKE YOU JUST SIT AROUND AND BE JUDGMENTAL ALL THE TIME AND NEVER DO ANYTHING

Attached: fuck dude.png (1419x785, 2.08M)

I guess he's just another artifact.

Fuck

You can try to insult me all you want, but I didn't go onto Yea Forums to whine about dumping $400 into a shitty game in some pathetic attempt to earn the money back I wouldn't have lost otherwise.

You're obviously having so much fun to come into this thread and bitch about such a thing.

Good, now fucking give us L4D3

Man I haven't seen a picture of him in years. What happened?

Attached: 1545158850766.jpg (512x340, 62K)

>every single card game is free to play
>the game they're spinning it off of is also free to play
>"let's charge $19.99 for this"
Is Gaben too unhinged? Valve is in no danger with Steam being a money printer, but he really needs to get a heart attack and die by this point if we're ever going to see Valve innovate again. I might even say that this company really needs to be publicly traded so there's more pressure from shareholders to do anything even better, instead of just being content with infinite money flow from a digital store.

Do you honestly believe that if Valve were to go public, shareholders wouldn't force Gabe to monetize the absolute fuck out of literally anything?

t. valve cock sucker

Wow

youtube.com/watch?v=R0qZTS38cjw

Asshole

>Get on the virtual card game bandwagon legit only for profit and nothing else
>Make yours pay to play while all the most popular ones are free to play
>No truly free way to get new cards
>No one even asked for it
I hope this is a wake up call for Valve when it comes to in-house games.

>shareholders
>having positive non-monetary influence on anything at all

Attached: 1524939865241.jpg (1375x749, 125K)

Read the op you stupid npc retard.

i animated several batman comics, now ask me about gay dicks.

10005% LOL

>steamOS
It's free.
>steam machines
They don't even exist lmao. They never made one. Just plastic prototypes.
>steam link
accessory for steam
made into software
>steam controller
accessory for steam
made into software for all controllers
>vive
???

then stop being a tiny anime girl in vrchat

Do you guys even know that shareholders have absolutely no operational control over a company whatsoever? They don't even control hirings and firings. All shareholders do is remind the company they are supposed to be successful at what they do and if the company isn't successful then the shareholders will take their capital somewhere else.

No, you see it's actually good because he was just a temporary worker and surely there are capable people working on artifact right now.

The man has made over 40 Card Games, do you know how many of them were a success? Two, 3 if you want to be charitable and count King of Tokyo.

People just keep shoving money down his mouth simply because he made magic, you can't ruin his reputation.

Attached: 1445110439515.jpg (578x737, 146K)

don't yell at me dog like that you silly nigger

The Lucas-Garfield analogy actually works very well. Both of them are great idea guys who legitimately can come up with very interesting and engaging ideas and elements for a project, but have a hard time combining it all into a cohesive package. Their best work is done with someone whose not afraid to tell them no but recognizes that their partner has many diamond in the rough ideas. With Garfield its Mark Rosewater, the best MtG sets are the ones that were a collaboration between the two of them as they both cover each other weaknesses in game design.

okay, Valve finally released a flop
how will this affect their future? personally I don't feel like this is enough to change much, we'll have to see a couple more flops until they start releasing good stuff again

i am not gay

seems you have enough fear to be

Steam makes them so much money that even if they themselves release a flop it doesn't matter.

shut up discord train

Again you haven't disproved them being financial failures, even if they started giving away the shit it still cost money to develop, that how losses work.
Also
>They don't even exist lmao. They never made one. Just plastic prototypes.
store.steampowered.com/sale/steam_machines
And since you seem unaware Valve is partnered with HTC on Vive

>pcgamer
lol theyre being paid to make these articles

Netrunner is fucking GOAT though

Valve never makes another game again.
40 years in the future after gabe's successor fucks up with steam and the platform starts failing, they finally release half life 3, but it sucks and valve dies.

not so fast, faggot

Attached: immunity.jpg (500x860, 219K)

this pretty much. they killed it with their greed

Attached: 1467049846145.jpg (1920x1080, 465K)

fagboi

Yeah the 'entry fee' is a really weird choice. It wouldn't have been so bad if that actually got you the full game but then they sell you fucking packs for money and also charge for trading them. Greedy ass tripple dip bullshit

>valve shills.
Braindeads or cucklords, not shills. Unless you actually believe that valve invested and, jesus fucking christ, paid money to people to promote the game. They outsource everything they "do" since years in the cheapest way possible... but surely they paid posters and streamers to promote the game, right?

>snitching

are you retarded?
they asked if he worked there and he said no
what the fuck was he supposed to do?

he also tried to say that is not a big deal because now that the game launched they don't need them anymore this much.

You think that the 99.6% of people that bought the game and then dropped it within 2 months all did so because the monetization?

You are more delusional than Valve.

Attached: 1384433313989.png (300x162, 29K)

people here were saying artifact is going to get huge and the value of the in game items is going to explode
basically Yea Forums is fucking retarded, thought this was the new buttcoin and they would all get rich by giving money to valve

It's a clear declaration of the intended audience. It worked since you could read even here cucks praising the lack of poor third worlderss playing and how it was good model because people with real interest (meaning: pay for it) will keep playing the game.

>within 2 months
more like 2 weeks

discussing a game, any game, is shilling
we're all shills now, and we do it for free

are you one of those axefags keeping the card to sell it later?

In 2 weeks they lost 80+%, for the 99+% you get into the month+ range

fuck you gabo

>Again you haven't disproved them being financial failures, even if they started giving away the shit it still cost money to develop, that how losses work.
engadget.com/2019/03/07/sony-ps4-remote-play-ios/
look
financial failure
>store.steampowered.com/sale/steam_machines
They just slapped steam machines on them lmao.
And
>They never made one. Just plastic prototypes.
is still correct.

Dammit

>>Because steam has ALREADY succeeded.
>Steam machines? Flop
>Steam controllers? Flop
>SteamOS? Flop
>Steam Link? Flop
>Shartifact? You better believe that was a flop
>Source 2? Not even made to even be a flop
>Steam Videos? Flop

noooo

fuck you gabe i hope you rot

This seems like a big flop that Valve hadn't experienced in a while, if ever. But then, I doubt they have spend a lot of money on Artifact, they'll make some new cash shop driven multiplayer game soon.

faggot

No wonder Gabe hired him, both guys who got lucky.

OBESSED
boards.fireden.net/_/search/text/You better believe that was a flop/

our last hope is that they release something good with the vive knuckles peripheral. Supposedly there's still a half-life prequel floating around for it.

They just fired a bunch of VR people but they were all hardware developers, and I choose to believe that that may be because the knuckles are basically done development.

yes?

also remember that valve sent out a shitload of keys
probably more than 30% of the players got the game for free
the rest just bought it out of trust with valve tried to play it and got turned off because of the monetization.

a tier one deck costed more than 50$ on launch
that on top of a 20$ pricetag

so 70+$ to play one single deck
all the competitive modes required money to play

but no i'm sure everybody dropped because the gameplay

Attached: 1548917813913.png (900x1020, 925K)