English dub of jap game

>english dub of jap game
>they still use words like senpai and sensei

why?

Attached: 160927210830-tk-ah0927-large-169.jpg (460x259, 19K)

Why not? I find it charming.

Because terms like 'senpai' have a meaning that doesn't quite translate into any one English word. 'Senpai' and the etiquette and culture around it can't be easily translated, so they just leave it untranslated.

user, no one cares what you think is or isn't charming. Get out of my thread and never post on our board until you figure out what you objectively got wrong with your post.

Ok user-kun.

Thanks, fampai.

that's retarded you fucking weeb and Judgement proves that idea wrong considering they literally are allowing you to play the game completely adapted for western audiences(meaning all dialogue is changed to match western culture), they leave all that shit in there because they are just lazy, nothing more.

Attached: breaking the raww.jpg (1280x720, 151K)

How exactly is the entire concept illustrated in the word 'senpai', heavily steeped in Japanese culture (which is quite different to western culture) supposed to be translated into one English word?

Literally just replace "senpai" with "[character's name]" Nobody would care at all.

Yes, it's actually cringe to listen to honorifics while speaking English.

it's not you dummy, the west has different ways of conveying these ideas than Japan, a good localization would understand that difference and not confine themselves to simply changing things 1-1 and instead would ADAPT to convey the same ideas.

the big issue with localizations is that the job requirement asks for too little, the only real requirement is "speak Japanese and x language" I personally believe that you shouldn't be allowed to be involved with a localization if you have no grasp on actual writing because simply knowing what words mean and how grammar works doesn't do shit if you don't understand how to apply those meanings to a different context.

Then you're missing a dynamic to their relationship, one that is around plenty in Japanese culture but not American culture. Removing or failing to explain the character relationship is a bad localization because it's not properly conveying what the original was trying to tell its audience.
This is true. But I don't really see the problem with allowing the use of 'senpai' and honorifics and things like that. They're complex cultural concepts which are easily explained by simply looking up what each thing means, and although it may sound awkward to hear these terms used in English, sometimes it's just plain the simplest and most direct way to convey those concepts to people playing the game. If you pick up this blatantly Japanese video game, you're probably at least somewhat familiar with the concept of a senpai anyway, so when they use the term, you understand the connotations that go with it.
But yes, for localization's sake, conveying these relationship dynamics in a different manner that's also understandable to western audiences would be for the best. I just don't think just going with honorifics and 'senpai' and stuff is bad. It's better than just not attempting to translate/localize those things at all.

>Then you're missing a dynamic to their relationship
If the dynamic of senior and junior relationship can ONLY be conveyed through the word "senpai" and not through other dialogue, tone, body language, then it's just a piss poor script.

>my subtleties are lost if they leave out this honorific
if you honestly believe this then imagine if dubs had to hold on to OTHER markers that convey different meanings like counters(shit like mai, tsu, hai, hon) those carry meanings too, if we drop THOSE are we losing out on something we should've noted

Like I said
>They're complex cultural concepts which are easily explained by simply looking up what each thing means, and although it may sound awkward to hear these terms used in English, sometimes it's just plain the simplest and most direct way to convey those concepts to people playing the game. If you pick up this blatantly Japanese video game, you're probably at least somewhat familiar with the concept of a senpai anyway, so when they use the term, you understand the connotations that go with it. But yes, for localization's sake, conveying these relationship dynamics in a different manner that's also understandable to western audiences would be for the best.

...Like I said
>They're complex cultural concepts which are easily explained by simply looking up what each thing means, and although it may sound awkward to hear these terms used in English, sometimes it's just plain the simplest and most direct way to convey those concepts to people playing the game. If you pick up this blatantly Japanese video game, you're probably at least somewhat familiar with the concept of a senpai anyway, so when they use the term, you understand the connotations that go with it.
>>>But yes, for localization's sake, conveying these relationship dynamics in a different manner that's also understandable to western audiences would be for the best.

>seniorship
>complex cultural concept
お前大丈夫かい

if you have to look up external sources to understand something, then the game has a really bad script, you shouldn't have to look things up from other sources just so you can play a video game.

You people are terrible at reading
>If you pick up this blatantly Japanese video game, you're probably at least somewhat familiar with the concept of a senpai anyway, so when they use the term, you understand the connotations that go with it.

Some meanings and context only exist in certain cultural settings.
For instance, calling someone by their first name. Big deal in squintland, burgerbros only give a shit if they're trying to prove a point.

you're making an assumption here that every single person that will try out a Japanese game is as weeby as you.

I think Japanese media could befit from dropping honorifics when they are in a foreign land or alien world. The foreign characters seem confused to why they include those terms or something.

It just seems weird when you are watching something about Europeans and they are calling each other by various japanese honorifics.

I'm just saying the kind of games that keep in the 'senpai' and all that probably are aiming for an audience who is already familiar with Japanese properties and is fully aware that that's what they're getting into. The target demographic for this stuff isn't your average joe who doesn't know anything about Japanese culture.

again though, a good localization would understand the MEANING behind the action and would adapt that to a cultural equivalent(through words).

Same reason why in American properties that take place in other countries they still use American slang and American culture norms

you're blatantly finding excuses to defend poor localizations here. you CAN convey this ideas without the need for honorifics, localizers choose not to since it's easier, and because weebs eat that shit up because "haha they called me senpai like my animes!!!!!" so they blindly accept it.

I just think it's better than not attempting to translate/localize the concepts at all. I don't even know what reason I could have to 'find excuses to defend poor localizations'.

Everyone knows what those words mean anyways so why the fuck does it matter retards

Attached: 1551840379252.jpg (1334x749, 199K)

also just going to say, "senpai" is probably the worst example you could've picked here since like what said, if you seriously cannot get the relationship dynamic through any other means than just the word "senpai" then the game itself is doing a really bad job at characterization

Bro you'd better be prepared to post a pic of your JLPT N1 certificate if you're gonna talk about shit like this.

Attached: 大人のお姉さん.png (160x144, 2K)

I'm saying that they can, but localizers choose not to.

You guys just hate weeb too much.

I never see anyone complain about spanish or german character using their native words like "senõr" or "herr doktor" when they speak english. Why are you upset when jap characters use the word the same way?

Here's just the outline of my thoughts
>Not even trying: Worst result possible
>Leave Japanese cultural concepts untranslated: Acceptable because at least the original intent is still being conveyed
>Localize Japanese cultural concepts a way that is understandable to Western audiences without just using the original terms directly: Best result possible

>need to have a certificate in order to be able to discern that Japanese culture and American culture are different from each other

Attached: 1551500162046.gif (200x150, 1.47M)

but the original intent being conveyed through non translation is by far the biggest example of "not even trying" like your JOB is to translate, and you were like "fuck I can't"

>they are just lazy
They translated the ENTIRE FUCKING GAME. Except for those few words.

Either japs are unironically retarded or you’re a huge faggot for believing this

Stupid dubnigger

Japanese and English are so fundamentally different you’re really asking for a lot

I don't know how many more times I can say "it's better than if those character dynamics weren't translated or localized at all".

>your job is to translate the game and adapt it for the language of the country the game is releasing in
>doesn't actually translate EVERYTHING for the language the country is releasing in
>B-BUT IT'S FINE SINCE JAPANESE CULTURE IS JUST TOO HARD TO CONVEY TO THOSE STUPID WESTERNERS!!!!!!!

thats a dumbass take though, thats literally how their culture works, they dont have to express it via subterfuges when honorifics exist, remaking an entire set of animations just for something that doesnt need to be there and makes no sense in the culture is fucking retarded

you act like Japanese is from another planet, if it really WAS that difficult, it would be theoretically impossible to actually learn the language since you would need to be able to understand the cultural concepts to even learn the language.

>playing the dub of a foreign game
First mistake.

you don't need to change animations, the way characters speak to each other can still convey that same dynamic without needing to use senpai.

>playing a foreign game
That's the real first mistake.

EOPs think Japanese is ridiculously difficult to learn (don’t bother posting the language difficulty scale, I know it’s a tier 5 language, no, that doesn’t mean it’s not easy to comprehend.)

I mean it is, I don't know anyone in America that gives a fuck that someone is their senior. We're both working in the same shitty warehouse making shit money I have no reason to respect you for being 20 years older than me.

no matter what they do someone will gripe

Attached: bb4.jpg (3185x1348, 1.47M)

The set of reciprocal obligation is completely different.
Seniorship elsewhere is a job only thing whereas sempai kohai is a social standing.

That isn't equivalent, a lot of detail and nuance is lost in just using the person's name.

英語圏に住んでる人が日本語のニュアンスを考えすぎるんだろ。
「先輩」・「後輩」などを付ける事は普通の人は気づけない(と思う)程日常的である。また意味があるんだけど意味なしっぽくなりそうな言葉と思うよ。

一方、タイトルを付けないことは変な気づけやすいんです。ネガチブの意味が当然にある。

意見ばかりだ。