You know, when Epic Yarn came out it was a big disappointment. Everyone wanted Kirby GCN. (1/2)

You know, when Epic Yarn came out it was a big disappointment. Everyone wanted Kirby GCN. (1/2)

Attached: Kirby's_Epic_Yarn_Title.png (256x360, 193K)

That was the game that would have mixed design conventions from Sakurai and Shimomura to a new style of presentation. Everyone was hoping and praying for this next step in Kirby to resurface. Instead of that game, we got a spin-off with completely new and different ideas and design conventions. Then, it became the black sheep thanks to mostly context. But it's been almost 9 years. After RtDL being assempled from bits and pieces of GCN's corpse, releasing, and getting three Kirbies that are just like that, followed by an Epic Yarn remake that tries to force it into "feeling more like a Kirby game," you realize you WANT Kirby to experiment with bigger games. You want Kirby to rethink its presentation, conventions, design, and approach to game design every couple games. And let them be actual platformers. Mix up what characters it uses and how it uses them, how it approaches the setting, how it approaches what Kirby does and how the world can be interacted with in new ways. Even adding "normal Kirby" things to Epic Yarn just distracts from what kind of gameplay and mechanics the game was DESIGNED around. Abilities just ruin level design and make the intricacies of how enemies were placed and beads scattered pointless and mindless. Lives and health don't increase difficulty along, because the focus is on keeping beads. There are more ways than death to punish mistakes. A boss rush would have been pointless because you can refight any boss you want. You think back to how experimental and varied the series could be from game-to-game, how refreshing and inspired that is, and how it gives mainline titles more room to feel better and feel more creative for having more room to do come up with stuff that's new. Less trends and rigid traditions, no ruts, no going stale. At least it's a systemcamd mentality that works against sterilization and fatigue, encourages creativity and soul.
(2/2)

What was that downloadable Kirby game on 3DS where you mostly sucked up enemies on a 3D field, kind of puzzle like? That was good.

the added abilty's in extra epic don't make it harder but it does make the game more fun.

What the fuck is this pasta shit?

And who the fuck could have possibly watched the Epic Yarn trailers, played the game, and then been disappointed?

Like, what the fuck did they expect?

Kirby Battle Royale.

Epic Yarn is my favorite Kirby game, it's supremely comfy.

Blow out blast

Context of the time and what people were hoping for.

Kirby's blowout blast, somewhat of a callback to dreamland 1
no battle royale is the game where you use abilty's to fight in a three dimensional space.

Attached: 1521616965073.gif (500x517, 63K)

Yeah that was it, nice.

I was there at the time and those people were fucking morons.

It ruins the actual design of the game, it's really boring with standars generic powers in a game that isn't designed around testing and challenging them.

That's not constrictive nor insightful. It's a fallacy.

Man if it was a real game that wouls have been cool, instead of like a paid demo that rehashes DL1.

Kirby's Epic Yarn is literally the best Kirby game and I don't care what you think

>After RtDL being assempled from bits and pieces of GCN's corpse, releasing, and getting three Kirbies that are just like that, followed by an Epic Yarn remake that tries to force it into "feeling more like a Kirby game," you realize you WANT Kirby to experiment with bigger games
I've been wanting that since the first GBA game was a pointless remake and Amazing Mirror was a rather shallow attempt at expanding on GCO.

that is true, they can be totally busted in certain levels even in devilish mode.

it's pretty clear that this game was a rush job because the vehicle abilities don't use gyro and touch screen even though they'd work really well with it, for example the train power you draw lines on the top screen with the A button, very strange.

Attached: 1469857282210.jpg (600x580, 87K)

Exactly the same is true for OP's opening statement. Wooptidoo.

Am I saying I'm better than that? No. I'm saying it's a question of opinion, and that my opinion is that people who were disappointed by Epic Yarn ought to have done a bit more research.

Wonder why they didn't just port to Switch like all the other crap of they were going to half ass that stuff anyway. At least it would have a better resolution.

I disagree.

Epic yarn on 3ds is pretty epic.

That's okay.

But is it extra epix?

You could even say it's extra epic.

Did Hal work on extra epic or was it good feel or both? Hal seems like they'd be busy with box boy + box girl then again this seems like a minimum effort port with a few features slapped on.

I mean really, 4 stages for metaknight and dedede seems kinda lame, even the yarn kids in the apartments have more then that.

Attached: 1461313005320.png (438x380, 62K)

And that's a retarded generalization, because there are a thousand different reasons that a thousand different people could have been disappointed in Epic Yarn at that specific point in time. You shouldn't form opinions based in your own fallacies.

Attached: 1548062465516.jpg (720x697, 60K)

Obviously the full statement there would be "people that were disappointed with Epic Yarn for not being Kirby GCN ought to have done a bit more research" and by extyrapolation "as it was always quite obvious from the trailers that the games wasn't anything like that."

I had hoped this would be implied from me mention OP's opening statement, which includes the statement that people were disappointed about not getting Kirby GCN.

But seeing as that didn't work out, I hope this clarification helps.

Dunno. But any Box Boy game could be made in a week. And enhanced ports/remakes are almost always made by B-team monkeys.

>and by extyrapolation "as it was always quite obvious from the trailers that the games wasn't anything like that
Thank you for joining us.

?

I just hope that extra epic is the swan song of the 3ds it's had a good run but they really should focus on the switch, I get they don't want to give up the golden goose just yet but the 3d's has had it's time in the sun though I am glad we got Wario gold but they need to let the system die out.

Attached: 1502172527716.png (600x285, 80K)

wtf in the thumbnail it looks like he's carrying a guitar

Yeah, it's one of those you only see it once pictures, you can save it if you want.

it has 270 stages all with unique puzzles I'd imagine it'd take more then a week to make the game.

the splash screen of extra epic does say produced by goodfeel and hal/nintendo is separate to that so that could be a good indicator though it's kinda hard to say for sure.

It's not even 3D. A 3DS Swan Song would try to creatively and boldly recapture the wonder of that feature one more time.

As I recall it, it's drawn on top of a photo of a guy carrying a guitar. Making what you're experiencing "the joke".

I adored it but 100% completion or bust. There's no point in playing it at all if you settle for anything less, it's the ONLY way the game has any challenge to it.

For a team of people? That's a handful of levels each, then just ordered based on how they turn out.

>level design doesn't take any time

Pls to die.

It really doesn't for something as basic as that, especially if there's at least 2 people to bounce ideas around.

That's a lot of fallacious assumptions, user.
But if you're so smart, then why aren't you rich?

the yarn kid's challenges can get really brutal when they are 5 stars.

You're wrong, and hilariously so.

Maybe, but honestly they should just stop and call it a day there's nothing else they can really do with it considering even third parties have moved on from making anything for it.

You're a very fragile creature. This offended by an observation on how basic and simple developing a game like Box Boy is. This is the reason why it's easy for Hal. They already havw an audience. They can make the most simple, basic game possible, put their names and "by the developers of X series!" and it'll sell based on what they've made in the past, not the new game's own merits. Not that there's anything wrong with basic, simple games that can be made in a week. And Bkx Boy is great at what it does. You just chose to take it really personally

but you have to remember they have to actually take time to test those levels to make sure they are complete, have music, have no glitches, correct amount of difficulty, put them in the correct places, make sure they function well with the other levels, etc

I'd kill for a box boy puzzle maker though maybe they should make that next I fell like that'd work well.

Attached: 1520987396454.jpg (1300x766, 102K)

Did you think I would read all that?

No. You're too fragile to risk reading something that'd upset you because you take it very personally.

You are the one taking it personally that you are wrong, user.

They would just make level creating software for something this basic. After developing that (long done), getting it to work on the new hardware, and designing the levels, development is a cinch. And the assets are so bare minimum effort they take no time at all as well.

Says the boyman cowering over reading a simple post.

I was just informing you that you were wrong.
Not asking to read your diary.

Air Ride was trash. People just wanted more classic Kirby that RtDL had to provide

You reject a truth because you take is as a personal attack on the gods of Hal, and therefore a personal attack on yourself. So you'll keep repeating "nuh-uh" like the little cry baby bitch you are. Go ahead. This is the reason why you couldn't just have a conversation about it. Yoy have the intellectual honsety and maturity of a toddler throwing a fit.

It'd still take time, there's only so many times you can solve a puzzle in a particular way while still being fun and/or challenging.

Attached: 1517285207683.png (700x500, 72K)

Half the Kirby fanbase doesn't and has been sick of that style for a while.

I'm not reading all that.
Have a good one.

Stay in school.

You know how many decent Super Mario Maker levels could be crankes out in a week by 20 people? Hundreds. And Box Boy is a lot simpler and more restrictive to design, which inspires more outside approaches and easier designing. A literal week is clearly hyperbole, but really making this game would be extremely fast and somewhat easy.

You're a colossal fucking idiot, and one day you will come to understand why.

Pussy.

Stay offended, Hal dicksucker brat. Keep crying.

There are game jam indie games made by one person that are a lot better than Boxboy.

Funny man.

Sure. That's not what we are talking about though.

Any new furniture? I liked home decorating.

>Sure. That's not what we are talking about though.
Yeah it is. Try to connect the dots, it's a conversation. Good games and even deep games can be made quickly by one person, right? Gamea even simpler than that made by big development studios obviously wouldn't nees that much time. That amount of puzzles isn't even very imoressive considering the size of them.

Yes, you can get new interactive stuff by doing the delightfully devilish mode, you get unlocks based on how much health you have left a perfect run in a level gives you a reward.

Attached: 1425156692728.jpg (491x509, 60K)

Like what is it?

a few things like neon signs, rugs that give off particle effect when you walk on them, interactive goodies like party poppers party balls, crystal ball there's also a hat rack for abilty's if you need it and a perch for the angel thing that picks you up out of death pits and you can talk to it.

there's also a Kirby cafe sign but I have not unlocked it yet.

Attached: 1457411316312.gif (612x522, 321K)

So no plushes of characters like Rick or Chuchu? Or even Chef Kawasaki?

Not that I know of but I have not unlocked everything.

though you can unlock some plushies of waddle and such in the furniture shop late game

Attached: 1464635256119.png (1200x969, 1.47M)