Thoughts on Splatoon?

Is it a good competitive shooter?

Attached: share_icon.jpg (1200x630, 360K)

Good competitive shooter? No.

Attached: update rate.png (756x811, 72K)

Honestly thank fucking god they aren't interested in making it an e-sport.

The game itself is fucking great though. It's easily a better competitive shooter than overwatch.

I think the game is good but the multiplayer is bad.

They are though. Nintendo host regular championships along side smash

Tried Splatoon 2 when a friend temporarily stayed at my place. Getting used to the gyro controls took time but it was a surprisingly fun game. The wind got taken out of my sails and I stopped playing once I realized I'd lose progress (no save back-up or cloud) once he left.

It's a good game but not that great as a competitive shooter for many reasons.

As in, getting into the competitive scene, or just casually playing on a high level?
the games design doesn't truly shine until you hit A+ in ranked and you're fighting to get into S

I think its a good game because its still fun no matter how much effort you put into it

name some of those reasons?

What's your ideal comp shooter?

It is a good game, but not really good for any sort of serious competitive play because of Would still recommend as a more casual game though since it's fun.

Attached: 1522144093026.jpg (172x241, 21K)

Its good fun instead

it would be better if ranks meant more than just a mix of consecutive wins and time played

sad thing is even with its network setbacks it's still the best shooter on consoles right now

No, fuck no. Splatoon is a horribly balanced, questionably designed mess of a game.

Splatoon would've been game of all times if it was managed by literally anyone but Nintendo.

Attached: disappoint.jpg (599x486, 59K)

It's fun but competitive is practically a misnomer.

Attached: purdy rina.jpg (708x1000, 403K)

Don't know, aside from the refresh rate and being peer to peer, there isn't really anything negative about Splatoon. They seem to care about the game.

Attached: 1529457306584.jpg (800x450, 85K)

I think it is, as a person that loves using mouse and keyboard for shooters, gyro controls are amazing, I mostly focus on PC gaming but Splatoon is one of the console games that I actually play a lot.

Sadly I think it's bare bones (nintendo in general) in some aspects to be enjoyable as a competitive game by the fact that the competitive scene is still niche. As it is right now, it can work as competitive shooter but as people said in this thread it lacks the necessary stuff.

>retarded map rotation
>stupid splatfests for babies (or straight up shilling splatfests if you're in Japan) that also disable all fun modes
>bad online
>NSO in general
>haphazard balancing, some weapons or kits haven't been usable the entire lifespan of the game

Does it matter?

Overwatch needed more time in the oven to be a competitive shooter yet THAT game gets to have competitive leagues.

Overwatch needed more time in the oven for fucking everything. Infact, I'd go as far to say that the game is fucking unsalvagable. But, I guess that's a point for Splatoon, because as badly balanced as may be, it's nowhere near as bad as Overwatch.

the map rotation has pros and cons. I’d rather play from a pool of two stages over a pool of 23. I think a pool of 3 would be best. and maybe make the rotations an hour instead of 2

Most of my problems with the game stem from its poor quality of life. Locking a fan favorite mode behind an on/off rotation, map rotations, and the fact that even in those rotations you can find yourself playing the same map in the same lobby 3-5 times in a row, a really messy match making system with friends, the inability to back out of a lobby and only having one chance before you go back into the lobby to change your weapons after a game, perfect gear being hidden behind a roulette grindfest that would have been an excuse to have micro transactions if this game were under any other publisher, the fact you have to sit through the news every time you boot up the game. I can't remember if thats all my complaints, but the game overall goes too far into building a fun world and ends up sacrificing QoL, or excuse their bad QoL decisions with said world building, like with Salmon Run specifically. The other bits once you're in match making, are just incompetence. Especially when you rarely actually play with your friend instead of against them in turf war if you join in on their lobby.

Attached: 1547677111005.jpg (460x540, 168K)

Is the tickrate the same even in LAN play? I googled it but no one adressed that? Isn't weird?

What necessary stuff does it lack?

>no dedicated servers
>two hour map rotation
>not adding more signals to make Clam Blitz playable
>no dedicated severs
Did I mention no dedicated servers?

No.
But it's a fantastic game.

I liked it for the first 6 months or so when it was only about 8 maps in rotation so I learned and mastered the maps, then like most other modern games they started releasing new maps and balance patches every other week, undoing everything I had learned, so I quickly lost interest.

Salmon run lockouts are necessary to avoid/diminish salmon run only players and keep people in the base game.
If you could skip the news, nobody would watch the news and nobody would care about the idols.
Perfect gear being hard is good because it fucks with minmaxing autist and the result of that system creates gameplay and decisionmaking where it wouldn't be anyways.

QoL creep is real and can damage the integrity of a game in subtle ways.

No, not really.
Nobody but Nintendo does gameplay-first games.
Nobody else could make this cartoony artstyle successfully.
Cosmetics would be locked behind a gatcha or loot crates if it wasn't Nntendo.
No other platform has Nazi-tier QA so game-breaking or just major bugs pretty much never happen.
Sure, online got the short end of the stick.

>nobody would watch the news
Good
>and nobody would care about the idols
Octo Expansion literally made everyone love them

Well, good for you, faggot, they stopped updating the game now.

In my opinion it's fine, my complaints are mostly with in the game itself than multiplayer, I think other games are worse than Splatoon but they have bigger scenes and are considered competitive.

Dedicated servers with a tickrate above 32hz
Netcode that isn't atrocious and doesn't result in me being killed by a dude I killed 5 seconds earlier
A ranked system that counts more than wins and losses and isn't ineffective at keeping shit players out of high ranks
A matchmaking system that actually fucking works and doesn't almost always result in hilariously imbalanced matchups
A matchmaking system that actually lets me pick what mode and map I want to play on instead of waiting hours if not days for the system to randomly rotate to a selection I like
A devteam that actually knows how to balance instead of never touching weapons that have been useless for the entire game's lifespan while either nerfing the meta dominating weapons so slightly it doesn't do anything or nerfing them into complete uselessness
Old-era Valve
Seriously, someone show the Splatoon devs TF2

Is being competitive really necessary? The top players are going to feel like you go up against "pros" anyway.

It is an enjoyable videogame.

how about some servers and good matchmaking

Another bad thing about Splatoon is you won't be able to realistically compete in the game unless you use gyro. Being a pain in the ass to use, and in turn making you suck at normal twin stick shooters. It turns you into a retard.

Is it true that Japan has better servers?

>better servers
There are no servers. In any region.

>better servers
hehehehehahahahaha

By the virtue of having better players, yes

Attached: lFZK59I.jpg (800x800, 135K)

They have a better online experience because there's a lot more players, and they all live fairly close to each other on a small island. Compare that to the US, where ISPs are often shitty and where people can be seperated from each other by thousands of miles and still be put in the same lobby, and you'll see why the P2P system works better in Japan than here.

Matchmaking does not take regions into account per se, only latency. There are no region restrictions for it.
I play with Japanese most of the time being in Russia with EU copy of the game.

>why the P2P system works better in Japan
It doesn't because even the Japanese can end up with Miguel down in his Mexican basement and that Brit who drops out after 30 seconds.

They end up with those guys far less often, because there's a lot more players there. And because it does work off of latency, 9 times out of 10, they'll be playing more with fellow Japanese than foreigners.

My bad, I had my memories mixed up. I remember I was watching a Splatoon player that always rages and blocks everybody. Plus smashing everything around him, the day that Nintendo online came, he decided to call customer service out of rage. He complained about japan customer service being better, increase the block list and asking why the nintendo servers in the US where host by amazon.

but he meant Nintendo servers in general, not Splatoon p2p ''servers''

That guy is fucking insane and you probably shouldn't listen to anything he says

>that also disable all fun modes
but salmon run is active during splatfests

>fun modes
>salmon run

stop freelancing and play with friends
>inb4 >friends >on Yea Forums

This is because they decided to get rid of Miiverse and make posting drawings require a Twitter account, which thanks to the election is now a political fucking shitshow and the worst media platform in the history of mankind. If Twitter vanished overnight, humanity would be better off.