The new younger devs that took a crack at this game had ZERO idea what they were doing...

The new younger devs that took a crack at this game had ZERO idea what they were doing. They copy themes from old 64 and Sunshine worlds and just drape over a geographical equivalent from Earth over it. Suddenly its THE BEST SHIT EVER HOLY CRAP. No, it isn't.

The maps are bad. There is no hub world. No proper missipn structure. Its just BotW: Mario Edition. All you do is scour around for Moons with no interesting set up. In 64 or Sunshine levels are replayed with specific challenges and gimmicks, levels themselves change drastically, anf you can fuck about and do anything other than get that mission's star/shine. Hell you can get multiple at once.

Snow Kingdom is shit. Generic ice world, tiny empty boring map hiding 4 3D World levels underneath. Cloud, Bowser and Ruined Kingdom barely count as levels. Tiny ass levels like Cap, Cascade and Lost Kingdom exists. These would have been cool bonuses in a hub world like finding a secret world in the castle in 64 but now you're strung along a linear path. It says a lot when Nintendo only markets this game with New Donk, Luncheon, Wooded and Sand Kingdom because those are the only big levels that go tow to toe with 64 and Sunshine levels. And even then they suck ass, especially Sand Kingdom which is a fuckhuge empty desert that feels like a walking simulator. There are no organic challenges baked into the levels. You have to find doors and secret areas that break off into 3D World type levels for any type of challenge. Having no fall damage and no 1up lives fucks things up even harder.

Attached: SMO_Lake_Moons_0000_Layer_80.0.jpg (1200x800, 127K)

Ok, this is epic

Mario Odyssey is a good tech demo and a good starting point for a 3D mario engine, Mario himself controls really well, movement feels awesome, and the concepts introduced were neat. I'm excited to see what they do with the engine for later games and what they could do with MO2.

>"Agrabablabla NEW GAMES BAD OLD GAMES GOOD!!"
>(Reddit space)
>"Map are shit because OLD GOOD"
>(Reddit space)
>"World are crap because NEW GAMES BAD AAAAAAAAH I HATE ODYSSEY AAAAAAH FUCKFUCKFUCKFUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!"
once again, cope

When do you think Mario Maker will add a 3D option so people can just make thier own games?

The only reason this game was a hit is because everyone was thirsty for a good 3d mario game after the boring fest that 3d world was. Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are still the best mario games.

Attached: 3411437_60x60.gif (299x298, 377K)

I always laugh at seething faggots trying to convince me I didn't have fun.

user, get your console war out from here.

Attached: 1552157665092.png (625x626, 16K)

I played it after AHIT in time and honestly Odyssey was a little disappointing after that game.

Yeah I felt the same way, I wish the game had more levels. At least every level was very unique, unlike the moons.

Attached: 1551982513299m.jpg (1024x732, 82K)

I haven't played a platform game in 10 years i had a blast and still currently with mods.
I did wish it was longer seems to short a bit.

Mario 64/sunshine levels were notable for having multiple routes to the objective (top of the mountain, end of the cave, etc) with just a dirt path suggesting where you need to go. DK64 was like this too. On the contrary, you had slower movement and a less fluid camera. The "difficult controls" and "getting lost" made for a longer game to us dumb 90's kids.

Odyssey's levels are just Galaxy's--indisputable obstacle courses with the required power-up/gimmick waiting close by. Controls are faster, everything is faster, NPCs and prompts tell you everything and the player doesn't need to think or imagine anything. It's a game for a 2010's audience.

The key is finding a balance between the two, but Nintendo's never going to figure this out; they've already got sales figures.

I agree, I didn't like how segmented and separated all the mini rooms were to the main kingdom areas. Not having a hub wasn't a big deal to me, however.

the two water kingdoms being back to back was a pretty dumb decision.

Yea dude it’s trash but it’s Mario you think you’re gonna convince these idiots? Odyssey feels like I was teleported to an alternate dimension and their new Mario game came out didn’t feel right in the slightest couldve told me it was fan made only thing that was good was the movement

>old Mario
>"Get to the top of the summit."
Ah, yes. This is truly the most based of comfy. *sips*

>new Mario
>"Get to the top of the summit."
OHNONONONO Now that the dust has settled what went wrong what were they thinking the devs don't understand what I wanted old games were better back then I miss the 90s [image of crying wojak]

Oh no nigger we're NOT doing this shit again. You gaslighted all of Yea Forums into hating BOTW but you're not doing the same with Odyssey. Fuck off.

What

tl:dr
Mario 64/Sunshine autists are truly cancer because they still believe their subpar experience full of nostalgia is somehow better than the newer games

i actually expected it to be pretty good, but from the small amount i played on my friends switch i really dont like it. i only tried out the water world and some small mountain with mario blocks and shit. i dont like the hat mechanic especially, but at least some of what youre saying about level design is true too

Wow, imagine writing so much, and being so wrong. :)

I agree. I was so hyped for this game, it was one of the main games I bought the switch for. Eight hours into the game, I started wondering when things would get fun. Four hours later, I was done with the game. Game is overrated as fuck, easily the worst of the 3D Mario games. I had more fun with 3D World.

Attached: 56D567A6-E89D-4C16-9573-01A6B1D4F748.png (1024x1024, 13K)

Eh, I'd equate Odyssey more to Banjo Kazooie with Mario controls than trying to compare it directly to previous 3D Marios.

>pledging loyalty to a piece of plastic

Shame that a thread with actual discussion on a game as widely fellated as Odyssey is going to die earlier than mindless shitposting cancer threads.

What most of you don't take into account is that Mario Maker allows players to create absolutely any challenge they want, and was already out before Odyssey came along. There was no need to make Odyssey needlessly difficult in the face of today's generation that has access to a great variety of entertainment when Mario Maker exists. Granted, MM is a side-scroller, yes. I live in hope that like others hold, Odyssey is a sort of test for future products. Hopefully a 3D Mario Maker. I hope to fucking GOD they make a 3D Mario Maker with Odyssey as a base.

How can someone be this much up their own ass?
You haven't made a game, you know jack fuck about game design.

I mean, I liked BOTW despite its flaws but odyssey bored the piss out of me desu

tldr just say it sucks, dont waste time. it does suck, but its still cool and liked it