How do you justify buying games on Steam knowing that you don't actually own them and may not be able to play any of...

How do you justify buying games on Steam knowing that you don't actually own them and may not be able to play any of them in 10 years?

Attached: RDFHoCt.png (400x594, 486K)

user half the appeal of playing Monster Hunter is the multiplayer aspect.

Because I look at my shelves of games I purchased 10 years ago for consoles as old and try to remember when I even opened one of those boxes up. Most of my PS3 games just gather dust.

If I haven't played the game within 10 years then I probably won't play it. I have too many games already as is.

I pirate

>open up steam
>nothing but ports

i don't own my life either, so who cares

I can pirate them.
Watching jojo doesn't make you smart btw

>you can't back up digital games

is gog a meme?

Why would I want to play them in 10 years?
Why do you think I need to justify my purchases to you or anyone?
Why do you think you own physical games that are locked by hardware DRM which is actually far more restricting?

I own your life

i dont care who owns my life, just as long as its peaceful and quiet

chew

the main reason I prefer PC over console is that you don't have to keep buying your favorite games again when the new console comes out.

You're right, but reading it sure does

but you should still have the old console so you dont need to buy them again. where as with PC you might need to buy all your games again when steam dies

>you should collect plastic garbage

and here is the point where you don't understand you're not the same type of person as us.

I rarely play games after completing them and don't mind buying them because I can afford it.

>us

Attached: 1345612411949.jpg (330x330, 35K)

how autistic is it to say i just like watching the numbers get bigger?

Attached: 3352c74abeffad5e235da7fd278bd81d.png (246x57, 26K)

but the PC version is superior anyway most of the time

Haven't lost any of my games yet.

Attached: Screenshot_20190311-040153__01.jpg (1080x409, 49K)

I have to make I new steam account because my old one's username is too cringy

this is 100% true which is why its a tough dilemma

best version where you're paying the same price but getting nothing physical and dont actually own the game? or shitty version that gives you own physically and forever for same price

>306 hours

equally as autistic as liking the amount of boxes on your shelf increasing

but much more autistic than actually caring about the permanence of the products you buy

what game?

I can't wait for y'all to freak the fuck out when all your discs start eroding. lol.

Hope you never sprayed mosquito spray in your house one time or walked into a room with discs while wearing it

new to PC games

How do physical PC releases work? Like is there actual permanence to the product? Could i install and play the game again without internet on a new computer in 5 years?

Attached: 1372728613942.png (500x500, 295K)

external hard-drives. only reason why I don't care anymore.

>wearing mosquito spray

>How do physical PC releases work?

Why? lol

PC isnt the childrens platform dude if you feel the need to "own" your games physically then just stick to consoles

just want to be able to play them when steam dies

The last time I used a physical copy pc I got a key and I could use it to install on different machines.

99% of the games on steam are complete and uther trash and the world will be a better place if they disappear. Any worthwhile game will live on thanks to piracy until the globe turns into a ball of fire and everything dies.

user, steam isn't ever going to die before your ability to power a computer with electricity does.

Physical copies of games do not ensure your ability to play them in the future. At all.

It stops being fun when you start reaching over a thousand

What about over 9000?

i could see your first point being true but why do phys copies not ensure your ability to play them? assuming nothing damages the disc or console isn't there total permanence?

I don't, steam is shit

Because i buy games to play them, as opposed to buying games to own them, which is a retarded reason.
Even if steam goes belly up, and if they don't reimburse steam users, which are two REALLY big if's, i still played the fucking games. Maybe it's because i only play games through once most of the time, but even then it's not that big a deal. How far down the spectrum do you have to be to be triggered by this?

Attached: 1512790520591.gif (480x480, 3.7M)

I don't care if I own menial shit like videogames. In fact, I'd be perfectly fine with subscription based models like origin premium or Xbox pass but for steam.

I hope that in the future all games will be f2p anyway, relying on advertising and mtx to make money.

To me its no different than paying to see a movie or going out with friends for a night.
I'm playing for the experience whether I own it or not.
Only hoarders and people with attachment issues would even care about this.

damn. fuck this. why would you spend money on a game that you wouldnt expect yourself to want to revisit later down the line. you guys are just buying garbage. no wonder people hate video games here you guys just buy shit just to run through it and forget about

>I hope that in the future all games will be f2p anyway, relying on advertising and mtx to make money.

jesus christ. i should block this fucking website. this is zoomer city

Attached: 1408974789307.png (700x700, 571K)

this might be the worst opinion I've ever come across

I never replay games. It's just a thing. I play through it once and sell it.

I don't even play now them now, am I gonna wanna play em in 10 years?

Attached: cop kid.jpg (1600x1548, 328K)

No, i buy it to experience it. What's the point of replaying a game when you've already experienced it? Especially when there's other games to experience? In that sense i fucking love games. Are you sure you're not the one that hates them? Plus, I have a life to live i can't be playing the same shit over and over. If i'm going to be playing videogames it might as well be something new and exciting.

Attached: 1526497629988.gif (200x200, 1.89M)

based "I have something in my life other than owning video game plastic" bro

Attached: brofistcover.jpg (600x600, 38K)

>Especially when there's other games to experience?
>implying

Theres games Ive owned for 10 years that I still haven't played
Steam as a service is not gonna die anytime soon

Ive mostly been buying indie games on switch instead since the prices work out pretty similar and I'd just rather play on a system i can carry

What a worthless post
like not even stupid, just devoid of any real purpose
Damn dude

if you truly loved experiencing a game you would want to experience it again later on. but that part i can understand if you'd rather just play as many different games as possible instead

the part i dont get is like, do you just never play action games? games where the first playthrough is essentially the tutorial? or fighting games? i mean i guess if you just dont like those kinds of games then thats that but i sure pray to god you aren't one of those people thats played DMC or ninja gaiden once on normal, or played a fighting game's story mode and then said "that was the entire experience of the game and ill never touch it again"

CD rot is a thing.
Discs deteriorate over time unless you kept them like hermetically sealed.

>cannot even fathom the perspective of someone not addicted to filling his life up with plastic junk

You have a row of japanese toys too, don't you? anime girls and stuff?

>the part i dont get is like, do you just never play action games? games where the first playthrough is essentially the tutorial?

Are you saying someone should play God of War 3 again because they can do bigger combos the second time around?

>or fighting games?
obviously not what he's talking about when he says play through once and move on.

it's the second line that's more offensive

No, just, why bother posting?
Its just
ah well?

that line was an obvious troll user. i dunno how some of you don't have trolldar on this board. you want to believe the other poster is really someone stupid/inferior.

ive never played god of war but for any of the good platinum games, any good DMC, any good ninja gaiden, viewtiful joe, god hand, etc. playing the game once is nowhere near "experiencing the game in full".

there's nothing wrong with playing it once and stopping if thats what you want to do, but any complaints or critiques you may have are essentially the same as a journalist who played a game for 3 hours before reviewing it. and if you enjoyed playing the game the first time, you really owe it to yourself to play it more because you're no where near the peak of the game's enjoyability

not to mention A LOT of big titles these days dont even have physical dvds, just a code to download which pretty much defeats the purpose there
and depending on the game you have to download a proprietary launcher to play it, or only a fraction of the data is on the disk so that you have to download the rest after installing the base/patcher
physical media is going away and that wont change

>playing the game once is nowhere near "experiencing the game in full".

To you. And this is where you are literally autistic. Everyone doesn't love everything and want to devote hours "mastering" it. And many people, such as myself, see that behavior as pointless at best and pathological at worst.

I've seen so. many. people. on this board say they played Nioh for 800 hours. Like, what the actual fuck? The game was good for about 15 for me.

If you want to "fully experience" something (your words) that means you want to master it (everyone else's words)

You seem to want to master everything you play (pathological obsessive behavior) when normal people just want to enjoy it and move on

I'm not gonna be here in 10 years, why my games should?

I have like 2-3 hours a day max to play vidya. Sometimes not even that, and it's gonna be even less when I get older.
It makes perfect sense for me to pay for games when I use them. There are lots of games that interest me but I know I probably won't be spending more than 2-3 hours playing them, so I don't buy. If I could pay

"there's nothing wrong with playing it once and stopping if thats what you want to do"

seems like you missed this part

"if you enjoyed playing the game the first time, you really owe it to yourself to play it more because you're no where near the peak of the game's enjoyability"

is what i said, i never said "you havent beaten the game until you SSS rank everything on the highest difficulty"

I think that if you want to "fully experience" games and then throw them away, never to be revisited, then you should play action games more than once before tossing them aside, because that's how they're designed to be played. Playing them once and dumping them is kind of like playing an RPG without reading any of the dialogue. like, cool, if you enjoyed your time and thought it was worth the money, then obviously there's nothing wrong here. but if you care about "experiencing a game fully" then it doesnt make much sense that you'd play it that way, and i would suggest you try going back and reading the text before throwing the game away forever, because you're missing out on a lot.

and just for me and anyone else who knows their shit, when talking about action games specifically, nothing you have to say will be taken seriously for a second if you only played the game once. even positive things you have to say. it's just like somebody praising/criticizing the game of chess without knowing how the knight moves.

>nothing you have to say will be taken seriously for a second if you only played the game once

user, I have competed in high levels in the hardest FPS games on PC during their classic eras, I could not really care less how good you think I am at single player console action games.

so then there are absolutely no problems here. if you dont care about understanding action games, then feel free to pump and dump them if thats what you enjoy, as i said. plenty of people do that, its just that some of them think that they do actually understand the game fully, and that i find problematic

>problematic

You need to understand two concepts: Ratios and empathy.

Sally plays Devil May Cry 3. Sally beats Devil May Cry 3. Sally has attained 99% of the satisfaction she can ever possibly attain from Devil May Cry 3 because that is her personality. "mastering" the game does not lend additional enjoyment and is moreso rote mechanical labor

You play DMC3. You beat DMC3. This is literally 5% of the satisfaction to you. You have to master the game for the other 95%.

Based on your prior statements you assert that Sally did not "Fully enjoy" Devil May Cry 3. This is incorrect. Her enjoyment is different from yours, and you need to understand that to be able to interact with people

wow you should work on your reading comprehension. i said "fully understand" not "fully enjoy". Sally understood 5% of DMC3's depth. Im guessing Sally doesnt give a shit cuz shes a casual action game player, so she drops the game forever. totally cool, glad she enjoyed it. but that doesnt change the fact that she didnt understand it anywhere close to fully, and that shes not in a position to make useful comments on the game's content

>wow you should work on your reading comprehension. i said "fully understand" not "fully enjoy".

>ive never played god of war but for any of the good platinum games, any good DMC, any good ninja gaiden, viewtiful joe, god hand, etc. playing the game once is nowhere near "experiencing the game in full".

"experience" is much more synonymous with "enjoy" than "understand"

thats a pretty huge stretch. experience and understand are much more similar than experience and enjoy. you can experience something without enjoying it, but "experiencing fully" i think at least lightly implies that you came to understand it decently well.

anyway, think about all that you understand about your hardcore competitive FPSs. now imagine somebody who played csgo for 10 hours tries to critique the game's competitive meta. im guessing its likely that you wouldnt take them too seriously. "you havent played enough to understand the game as well as me" would probably be a fair statement to make, right? but im sure you have no issues with somebody playing csgo for 10 hours and stopping because they have a life.

its the same thing. i dont care if you enjoy playing games without putting effort into understanding their depth. However if you think that you are understanding their depth without putting any effort in, then you are wrong. that is all. i think you would agree the same goes for your FPSs. somebody playing csgo for 10 hours and then saying "yeah it was kinda fun but its just spray and pray randomness" would not be taken seriously, and doesnt understand the game at all. doesn't mean there's anything wrong with thinking that, it's only bothersome if that person genuinely believes they understand the game clearly, and have nothing more to learn from further play.

>thats a pretty huge stretch. experience and understand are much more similar than experience and enjoy

sorry, that's factually wrong and i would put money on it in front of a legion of english professors. didn't read rest of your post. night.

you dont own any game youve purchased since the ps2 era, literally none of the games since then will run without updates, anything after ps3/360 requires huge downloads just to play it and the disks basically just have a license and a bit of the game. This is why piracy is superior