Why did fighting games die?

Why did fighting games die?

Attached: skullgirls2.jpg (658x890, 581K)

they didn't, Black African Americans love them

arcades dying and casuals

>Black African Americans
as opposed to?

Yknow you could just say "video game tits thread" and people would actually give you what you want

Hey, use White African Americans love them too. Now the Brown Asian Americans are a different story.

Two reasons:
1. Fighting game communities are cancer
2. Difficult for newcomers to get into, regardless of the fighting game because of fundamentals, so the genre can never grow, only shrink

a race that garners respect

lol boom roasted

white africans are rhodesia

Maybe skullgirls sure, but you're retarded if you think fighting games are dying. If it were we wouldnt even be getting any, and in the past 5 years has been a constant influx of revivals and titles from every single renowned fighting game dev outside of Sega and Virtua Fighter.

I'm sad Skullgirls died, I didn't find another fighting game I liked as much until UNIST. I still miss Squiggly, Eliza, and Big Band.

>rh*desia
no thanks

but i want butts

hello discord tranny

We are in the middle of a fighting game renaissance that is so crazy that games not even released yet are getting featured at EVO. If anything it's fucking taking over.

Attached: samuraishodown2019-screenshot9.png (1920x1080, 1.82M)

Me too. Skullgirls was the only game I got gud at

Berber immigrants (I.E Libyans). Black Americans don't really understand their ancestors came from the west african coast and think Africa is entirely black.

>fighting game renaissance
this aint 2008 fool

They didn't die, they are just more niche now. The fact that the average skill ceiling for fighting games is much higher now than in the early 90s doesn't help though. If anything excessive complex combo systems are what forced the genre into its niche status.

Attached: 1545702843856.png (700x700, 247K)

>implying there can only be one renaissance
The genre was on the verge of dying when SF5 came out and that turd along with MVCI nearly killed it. Then they actually finished making the game and all the other franchises started putting out new entries. And not only that but they're all fun and competitive. The only game that's shit is DOA6 but I expect that to get better when mods and other editions become available.

Honestly the fgc community is dead is because of so many huge ego'd niggers

>The fact that the average skill ceiling for fighting games is much higher now than in the early 90s doesn't help though
no it's not you fucking retard lol they're more dumbed down than ever

no arcades

Way too many barriers compared to the competition in vidya. Ignoring the execution barrier entirely, I'd blame the rise in team based games distributing responsibility for wins or losses more than anything. If you lose in a fighting game, 99% of the time other than maybe the connection, it's entirely your fault so it feels like shit to see the ~YOU LOSE~ at the end of a round for the majority of players. The amount of people who actually watch replays and try to work backwards and learn from their failures is rare as fuck in an swathe of games with constant positive reinforcing feedback

Anytime you lose in Dota/League/Overwatch/CS:GO/Apex/etc, a loss gets compartmentalized a good bit since you're just one member of a larger team, so surely it wasn't entirely your fault you lost. Making it just that much easier to mash out another few quickplays

Attached: 1481163186927.jpg (377x615, 105K)

Nigger wtf are you talking about? How was it dying, aside from maybe mvc3 not being sold anymore due to Disney buying them or something I guess? Yeah sfv killed tons of scenes and continues to be a trashfire, but we had gg, uniest, nrs(if that's your thing), KI still had updates, blazegreen was still shit but popular, tekken 7 was about to be a thing, etc.

Ignore that, it's pasta and will never cease to be retarded.

Attached: 1546102091646.webm (530x530, 1.43M)

If you want fighting games to be more popular remove setplay and make them about actual spacing and actual skill instead of flipping coins like a fag

Attached: 31508-touhou-komeiji-satori.854d8ba0be32f6e576e8f9a4cbbe530f.jpg (600x718, 43K)

skullgirls fucking sucks

Kids today love multiplayer games. But they hate one-on-one multiplayer games. Primarily because there's nobody else to blame when they lose.

Attached: 17441952.jpg (1052x744, 613K)

when i said "early 90s" i meant way back... like pre-Killer Instinct and pre-MK3 which are games that influenced more modern titles like MvC, Guilty Gear, and KOF to become more combo-heavy. Back when arcades mostly just had games like SF2, MK2, Fatal Fury, etc, everyone and their mother were playing fighting games because those games had very simple combo systems with extremely short button strings. who won was determined by footsies/spacing/zoning more than anything else.

>Fighting game communities are cancer
It always seems to be mixed when I go to events or local shit. I've been around dudes that are just straight up obnoxious or shitty. The best time I've had in a tourney was a throwback 3S one. Every person there was polite, just loved the game and wanted to play.

The same reason RTS died. Beginners are just gonna get fucked because the only ones playing are already good at the game.

>Kids today love multiplayer games. But they hate one-on-one multiplayer games.
solo play became mainstream again with battle royale shit.

Fighting games literally have no content.
Here pay 59.99 for two modes, 10 characters and 6 maps (that are all functionally the same)

The death of starcraft and the eventual rise of league and dota that followed was just a general wake up call to developers in general that "shit, we gotta get the normies to make money"

Because most of the big titles weren't even out at that point and the most popular ones have been out for a while. It's like how horror games were dying off because AAA publishers moved away from them and then Outlast and Amnesia brought it back and AAA and indie bolstered it even more.

Genres don't outright die but there are times where it's comparatively at its lowest point. In addition to your examples you still had DOA5 and Soul Calibur 5. Now you have DOA6, Soul Calibur 6, Smash Ultimate, Fighter EX Layer, Tekken 7, and not only that but now there's DLC of several characters coming out and keeping older fighting games like Tekken 7 and SF5 fresh. New big name fighting titles, indie fighting games, and digital content for older fighting games. Everything is either new or feels new.

I'm so fucking sick of season passes and dlc characters in every single fighting game. If it was one or two I wouldn't mind at all but it's getting harder to find games that don't charge you $30 more to have the entire roster. If you're going to have more than half the fucking roster behind a paywall than at least stop charging $60 for the incomplete base game. I love fighting games so much but this shit makes me seethe.

Attached: 98468513.png (437x438, 115K)

Oh and I forgot MK11 and Injustice 2 along with MKXL before that. And there's that Power Rangers fighter coming out too. And Samurai Shodown deserves another mention.

Battle royal is a special case, because even if you lose, you dont "lose" lose. You're able to say "hey, at least I did better than X amount of people", and that's a lot less discouraging than getting fucked in a simple 1v1

Skullgirls isn't dead
>just a two player game
>top tier netcode
>150+ simultaneous players on steam
>several online weeklies and monthlies around the world
>many discords
>that one MikeZ weekly
>WNF monthly

Attached: clutch caio.webm (640x360, 2.75M)

Because arcades died, and because the home audience were sold on story based games instead.

Also, fighting games have had a bit of a hard time reinventing themselves, and staying accessible to new players. Even Smash is now an uninviting mess.

>hurf durf why feghting gum die?? The retarded 17r OP typed as he believes his own stupidity

They arent dead dipshit. In fact its being alive, considering that ESPN broadcasted EVO and most tourneys getting more attendees than the previous year, its pretty damn evident that its not dead. In fact the worse fucking thing is that its too alive for its own good. The shit is being flooded by normal shits that bitch about FGC culture like pop offs and the core of the damn genre itself by complaining the need for inputs, or zoners, or combos. All while pushing the cancer esports shit thats plagued every other genre.

So no it aint dead but you wish it was.

>Honestly the fgc community is dead is because of so many huge ego'd niggers
Outside of Sonicfox and that one guy from Tekken I can't think of anyone.

Mostly the scene has been dominated by Asians for the good past decade and few white people such as Chris G.

The reality is fighting games isn't dead because of any race.
It's simply the fact fighting games is a thing of the past for mainstream gaming, the modern mainstream gamer hate learning anything that will require time to get good at.

This is why CoD back then and Fortnite right now is so popular now, you're able to pick up the game without learning anything and play with a group of friends.

Along with what this poster said. While fighting games have been dumb down over the years most of the mainstream audience still refuses to learn a simple huddken input.

I know people and have friends that bought Dragon Ball Fighter Z the most simple fighting game of the decade and dropped the game once they learned they would need to practice after story mode and not button smash just to be half way decent.

Personally I believe this poster got everything correct, fighting games won't fade away they simply would become niche over time.

Attached: Street Fighter.gif (500x281, 344K)

>150+ players is a lot
oh wait ur serious let me laugh even harder hahahha

Skullgirls is also a main stage game at Combo Breaker and CEOTaku every year

Attached: smoked.webm (640x360, 2.79M)

Both skullgirls and lethal league blaze aren't dead, but they ARE hanging on by a thread.

that's just the amount of players on at the same time. There's way more than 150 players

Attached: triv triv.webm (640x360, 2.82M)

>fighting games dead
>super smash brothers is huge
heh, its almost like a good game wins out in the end. They aren't dead, your garbage game with complex inputs just aren't popular anymore grandpa.

>You're able to say "hey, at least I did better than X amount of people"
You can say that about anything including 1v1 games, tournaments especially.

FG developers need to realize there's more than a 1v1 multiple in barren arenas. The genre needs to have more than what it was in the 90s. There's nothing to fucking do if you're not grinding the same matches in the same mode over and over again

>self improvement is nothing
(You)

Attached: 1284689708611.png (367x403, 161K)

Why not just admit you know nothing and don't play these games? Your on the level of those journalists that can't hear the music in DMCV

Stick to lane pushers

This, to be honest when Valve announced Artifact I was hyped for a Fighting Game in the Dota Universe, not a card game.

Even though I'm not a fan of IV or V, SF is interesting since they switch it up every entry.

>lethal league blaze
don't remind me user :C

>think Africa is entirely black.
More like America as a whole painted Africa as entirely black skinned people. I didn't figure out this was crap until the mid 2000s. Schools are bullshit for accurate history.

Cause the fights look lame to an outsider observer or even the player.
Touhou Hisouten had the right idea of making the stage larger and giving you bigger field for movement and generally looking cooler than a traditional fighting game with its tiny jumps and tiny arena and uncool awkward attack animations.

Attached: 1524370368397.png (1140x1252, 1000K)

Hello fellow judaic

Attached: Screenshot_20190311-022548_Wikipedia~2.png (1056x1649, 217K)

Attached: 1551639371596.png (1067x800, 680K)

fighting games aint taking over unless it has twitch presence, the closest game to being relevant is maybe smash ultimate

Plus, they've really been returning to an iconic art direction, instead of the mish-mash happening for a full decade.

user pls, it's not Thursday yet.

If you like them you get way more mileage out of them than any other genre, $40 (what I last paid, not on launch) is really nothing for a game you can play for years and not run out of shit to learn or do, unlike any other genre.

Skullgirls is one of those games that everyone says they like but never plays

You know it in your heart to be true.

Attached: 1527933967352.jpg (1075x1434, 435K)

because the only game that fucking understands "simple inputs but you can input them REALLY fast so execution is really important, which makes the skill floor low but the ceiling is high so new players can get into it really easy but it still satisfies expert players" is fucking SMASH

every other game takes a long fucking time to get good at and you're playing with 30 year old dudes that have been playing since the SNES days

How many years have people been saying they're dead?

Attached: 1537734587851.jpg (768x768, 72K)

Attached: 1550036852354.jpg (517x800, 83K)

fuck you, I never thought about that but now I want it

Same amount of time people have been saying pc gaming is dead while spamming threads about the newest hot fps loot shooter or battle arena game.

>simple inputs but you can input them REALLY fast so execution is really important, which makes the skill floor low but the ceiling is high so new players can get into it really easy but it still satisfies expert players

Sounds like marvel

>thumbnail deleted

Imagine being a discord tranny and a mod for some shitty Taiwanese sweatshop telegraph for free

Whats more devastating is to watch your waifu get fucked over by another waifu or another character you hated. Its the reason why its harder to use a character who is a hero in canon because the burden of winning is weighted upon your shoulders.

>no Melee at EVO.

Attached: disgust.jpg (1651x1100, 254K)

>because the only game that fucking understands "simple inputs but you can input them REALLY fast so execution is really important, which makes the skill floor low but the ceiling is high so new players can get into it really easy but it still satisfies expert players" is fucking SMASH
Smash hasn't had anything close to a high skill ceiling since 2001 but keep being delusional, dumb smashtard. The dream of muh imput simplicity is and always has been a waste of time.
>every other game takes a long fucking time to get good at
This isn't a problem
>you're playing with 30 year old dudes that have been playing since the SNES days
You have no goddamn clue what you're talking about, why do smash players even try to talk about fighting games?

Attached: SLASHvSLASH_and_fgs.jpg (4370x4852, 4M)