Why do people play games on old tv's? why would you want worse picture quality? plus they're super heavy and big

why do people play games on old tv's? why would you want worse picture quality? plus they're super heavy and big

Attached: 1551622229243.jpg (1920x2560, 1.09M)

Other urls found in this thread:

neslcdmod.com/roms/
vgdensetsu.tumblr.com/post/179656817318/designing-2d-graphics-in-the-japanese-industry
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I am not a fan of doing it but I can respect it. Some people wanna remember games they played back in the day.

They have convinced themselves that the games were "meant to be played on CRT" because of like 2 examples in history where CRT's shit image quality was used as a form of gaussian blur.

They're retards. People from the CRT era couldn't wait to escape CRTs. we didn't give a flying fuck about "black levels" because we were playing video games, not fetishizing them.

I have my consoles plugged into a CRT just because I can't be bothered to buy a normal TV, not because I think they're better.

older games dont have antialiasing. crt smoothes jagged edges.

N64 games look superior on a CRT. The trademark N64 blur o vision interacts with the low res analog image and seems to cancel it out.

Everything else you can play just fine with a Retrotink or a OSSC.

240p/480i gets upscaled on a flatscreen and looks like complete garbage.

No it doesn't. Upscaling behavior is specific to each display.

Good displays have been able to run inputs at 1:1 forever.

>We
Speak for yourself homo

Some older games were designed with CRTs quirks in mind. The most obvious example would be duck hunt but there are other games that used crt behavior to get their look. Unfortunately I can't remember which ones. There's also fighting game autists (specifically melee) who's games experience lag in HDTVs

>Upscaling behavior is specific to each display.
Its just different degrees of trash. That's why third party upscalers exist, but then again why bother with those when CRTs are free currently and look better?

Some older games used crt for special sprite effects although these days you can emulate that too.

because N64 needs CRT to look right
N64 looks very clear on CRT plug it into a large flatscreen and it's awful

Old games look and feel better to play on.
>heavy and big
Stop moving your furniture around constantly. Are you a methhead or something?

>Some older games were designed with CRTs quirks in mind.
Name one.

>The most obvious example would be duck hunt
Not "designed for CRT quirks in mind" in any way. It was simply the way things worked. Nobody had projection TVs.

Because it's old garbage, user, maybe one day when you have your own place you'll understand not wanting to fill it with old garbage. Bonus if a woman is involved.

Simply put they do not look better period. We clawed and screamed away from CRT technology because we wanted crisp and clear graphics.

The fetishization that happens here happens exclusively among people that didn't have to use CRTs their entire childhood. And that's that.

>worse picture

That's not how it works, OP.

Playing standard definition content on a standard definition TV provides superior visuals.

Trying to play 240p content on a fucking 2160p TV will look like fucking blurry shit. You'll have artifacting up the ass, and nothing will be scaled correctly.

Attached: IMG_20181223_143117.jpg (2048x1536, 433K)

>You'll have artifacting up the ass, and nothing will be scaled correctly.

except that's incorrect as, once again, scaling is per-display and countless displays have 1:1 modes

Look how you live, it's no surprise you fetishize shit like this.

>1:1 mode
If it works the way you think it works, that would make the 240p image 4x4 inches on a 55inch 4k TV lmfao

Fatal Frame would be a decent horror game if the English VA wasn't so shitty. Nice set up btw

>Name one.
Sonic 3

You can adjust scaling in the TV bruh.

Not him, but I'd rather "fetishize" my hobby than only being able to cum by being an angry douchebag online about the exact same topic.

I own both a professional crt monitor and an OSSC. If you use RGB with high quality cables, it doesn't look substantially different between the two of them. They have their own pros and cons but I don't think if you get a good quality modern TV and use decent scaling that it looks at all bad or even that different. In some ways I actually prefer using the OSSC

Attached: 1552137086953.gif (422x633, 3.61M)

Some people are faggots

>Simply put they do not look better period.
You'd have a point if we weren't primarily in the midst of LCD TVs. Had Plasma won out or when OLEDs become more affordable there'd be much less of an issue. That said, while CRTs do look better, the difference, even compared to the shittiest LCD, isn't enough to outweigh the benefit of a TV of decent size that doesn't weigh 200lbs.

>he cant lift

OLEDs are affordable right now. your perception of how TVs should be priced is skewed, they have only been cheap in extremely recent history, like last ten years.

Old game look better on the hardware they were designed to be displayed on.

Same now newer games look better on newer TV's it's not rocket science.

AI is going to make CRT's redundant in a few years.

Attached: 1550193988580.jpg (1440x1080, 867K)

T. Zoomer.

It’s the low latency.

Attached: 1434162053758.png (1328x360, 1.39M)

Good thing there's a filters so you can pretty damn close to how the right looks.

good lcds have not had latency for years

fetishizing latency is another thing you actual zoomers do, everything is about numbers to you, but you have zero understanding ever of what's actually behind the numbers

my giant 55" oled has like 12ms input lag and you couldn't perceive it if you tried.

>worse picture quality
Not if you're using rgb/ypb and the tv isn't some bottom line chinkshit garbage.
The games were designed for crt's.
If you've never seen one of the older game systems hooked up to a trinitron through ypb/rgb, the difference is night and day, it really has to be seen to believe.

but why would you want to look at the right instead of the left?

as a person who actually grew up in this era we wanted the left more than anything.

and i find that ONLY younger people do this "its how it was supposed to be" bullshit, no the fuck it was not, you were not even there to understand perceptions at the time

Right but for decades most households would only have one, maybe two TVs. Buying a TV for a specific purpose like gaming wasn't something people did. The point I'm making is that LCDs are the worst "flat" technology which makes CRTs more valuable than they would have been had Plasmas won out. And as OLED takes over that too will narrow the gap.

In what world does the left look better then the right?

Most consoles support RGB, and the ones that did not, had DevKits that supported RGB. Hell, even the fucking GAMEGEAR had a devkit with RGB-out.

If a console can, or at one point could, natively support RGB, then its absolutely intentional, you mad cunt.

xD Your not very smart are you. Just kinda let shit fall out of your mouth much?

Crt's and HDTV's both have there uses.
Don't try and sway it based on "moving on" or "advancing tech"

OLEDs are not LCDs. Unless you mean LED backlit, which isn't the same thing.

I've done it. I wouldn't say it's that different visually. I guess the biggest difference is how obviously flickery it is. As long as you used a scaler on your modern TV that is. I mostly recommend CRTs out of convenience or if you don't want to emulate

>Buying a TV for a specific purpose like gaming wasn't something people did.

that's really fucking confusing since i had a commodore 1084s RGB monitor in 1992

we also had a TV in basically every room of the house

the fuck are you talking about? I ordered custom SCART cables and had an RGB monitor a fuckin decade before you were born

you know what i meant you fucking nigger a flat panel display jesus

PS oleds will burn in like *fuck* do not believe what the companies tell you about the screen fresher system or blah blah blah BUY WARRANTY

im 37 and when i was a kid i sat on the floor in front of the tv and played games. part of this was the limitation of the controller cord but i never pulled up a chair and i never saw any of my friends ever sitting in a chair on on a couch. Even when my dad would play nintendo he would sit on the floor.

fags want gratification for being old idiots who cant accept technology is changing
>much true blacks
shut the fuck up nostalgia fag

If you think that there's no reason to separate LCD from OLED then you don't know shit.

>I ordered custom SCART cables and had an RGB monitor a fuckin decade before you were born

Okay? That literally doesnt change or address anything about my post, lmfao.

Also, 37 is a bit old to be on Yea Forums. Go home and be a family man. Stop getting pissy at people a decade younger than you.

Wait, no, disregard literally everything. I'm a retard with zero reading comprehension. I just realized we have the same stance and I'm a dumb cunt.

Commodore monitors were ancient even by 1992 standards. Most people, myself included, gamed on hand me down televisions. Generally speaking people didn't throw TVs out as long as they worked. They just moved them to other rooms as they continued to upgrade the "main" TV.

if you can't gloss over colloquial speech on a message board then you're a retard. I have a 55" oled sitting next to me, was called the best display of all time, are you sitting next to one user? hmm?

I am a different guy from that guy. We had chairs. I'm 36.

You didn't give anything to address in your post you were just meaninglessly blathering that "consoles supported RGB" to a person who literally *sent his consoles off to have RGB ports installed*. No idea what the fuck your point is.

>fag because I found a mint sony wega on the side of the road.

CRT's are pretty easy to come by, many people still have them in their homes. Yes games do look better on them. Wii games look better on CRT then on a 1080 screen. If you want to play PS2 games, they look way better on CRT.

I have played them on both, even my wife agrees with me.

ancient or not they provided the best possible viewing quality at the time. good ole tempest 2000 jaguar on a fuckin RGB monitor, fuck yej

Nope, we didn't throw out TVs, went to poorer relatives usually. One time my house got struck by lightning and my parents paid like $300 to have a 27" CRT repaired.

You literally said "LCD" and "OLED" in the same sentence when discussing something specific like latency and then get pissy when people clarify.

Because especially retro games tend to look WORSE on square-pixel monitors.

Attached: lcd vs crt.jpg (2048x949, 724K)

You're not wrong. Commodore monitors on RGB look great. But they're also 13 inches. Most people don't want to play on anything that small these days. You can get a 9 inch Sony PVM for about $100 but who the fuck cares about image quality when you're playing on a postage stamp?

CRT for anything 480i and under

Attached: 20181101_154307.jpg (1920x2560, 1.86M)

Wii doesn't necessarily look better unless you're only using it for 240p games

>Simply put they do not look better period
They objectively look better for 240p/480i.

It was 14 inches.
>these days

nigger i am talking about the NINE TEEN NINETIES

the point i am speaking

is that people who were forced to use CRTs in youth *did everything possible* to try to get the image an LCD would later give

Nobody fucking wanted games to be blurry like asinine CRT fetishist faggots think

>hurrrrr these games were DESIGNED for CRT because sonic uses dithering on one sprite!

wow how much did the disk system run assuming thats yours? and what is next to the superfami?

CRT fetishists also try and get the best quality possible, retard.

Hence the popularity on component CRTs, PVMs, and BVMs, as well as the popularity of S-Video and SCART.

My wega can use component cable. Games look better on the 480 wega then a 1080 screen. I have tried component with both.

My experience is different. 90s kids were more concerned about the sheer size of the TV. Big screen projection screens looked like hot buttered ass but getting to game on them was a highlight.

have you ever tried playing a ps1 game on a 50 inch tv?? using an old tv is better quality

Same. I got a pretty huge CRT that has component for free. Basically brand new and just sat in a game room for years. The only downside is it's a bitch to move.

>CRT fetishists also try and get the best quality possible, retard.

e...x..cept you don't...because otherwise you'd be spending on oled...

>shit looks better on this device that was the absolute top of the line in the TV world all-time
>it doesn't look as good on my $114 walmart vizio tv

gee, i wonder. common sense lost in the shuffle of faggotry.

maybe kids who played with others more often, i was playing jrpgs and shit, just wanted to nerd out alone

my arcade had a 50" projection screen when i walked in one day, with a neo geo MVS hooked up and World Heroes. It was a fucking breathtaking moment.

Off Topic but since OLEDs can be turned on and off would it be technically possible for an OLED display to "scan" like an electron gun drew the rasters on a CRT? It probably wouldn't make the image look any different but it should in theory make lightguns work again, right?

no sorry. you're a retarded who don't know shit and are just spouting retardness because you're also a faggot. go kill yourself, ignorant zoomer.

many displays have technology similar to this already that blacks the display between every frame to make motion look more crisp

I'm not sure how that applies to your question, I don't have enough technical knowledge to answer it. But the capability is seemingly there.

240p/480i content will literally always look bad on fixed pixel flatscreen displays. This isn't even an opinion, its a straight up fact.

Talking about how games were "meant to be played" is a complicated topic because a lot of games didn't just rely on CRT displays but also shitty composite or RF connections. Genesis games were notorious for using crosshatch patterns designed to bleed into entirely different colors or transparencies when played on composite. Sure, RGB on a PVM looks "the best" but that's not how the game was meant to look.

that's obvious. games made for crt tv looks horrendous on lcd. these fuckers probably only played on emulators and don't know shit.

"The LCDMOD project is working on software patches to NES light gun games, that might allow them to be compatible with flat-screen TV’s. I’ve been corresponding with the creator Aleksey and his goal is for people to use the original, unmodifed Zapper and only require a ROM patch! He’s just opened the public beta for the Duck Hunt ROM and is asking for feedback: neslcdmod.com/roms/

To use the ROM, simply load it on a ROM cart and boot it normally (controller in port 1, zapper in port 2). My suggestion is to try it in “auto” mode at first and if you don’t have any luck, press Start on the controller, the use the up and down arrows to manually toggle the delay.
mixed results with my TV – I’m using an Analogue NT Mini and while it did work, it was only a fraction of the time."

I emulate bad dudes on LCD in your general direction

it's a shitty LCD too the contrast ratio is like 21:1

There is no reason to be upset user. I'm not even saying I wouldn't play these games on a flat screen if that's all I had. I just happen to have a really good CRT that I got for free, and it is not debatable that all standard def games look better on it.

>OP makes his thread here because he knows he'd be effortlessly BTFO on /vr/
You're a pussy, dude

What I mean is most displays show the entire screen all at once. That's what breaks light guns since a light gun is attuned to the electron beam hitting the phosphors essentially one by one. It's all lightning fast, obviously, so our eyes don't see that but a CRT "draws" the image from top to bottom, left to right. Modern displays just light up every pixel all at once. I'm asking if OLEDs could "turn on" each LED in succession, one by one, line by line at the same speed as an electron beam. And if that would make lightguns work again.

>Genesis games were notorious for using crosshatch patterns designed to bleed into entirely different colors or transparencies when played on composite

source

I don't understand how that could possibly work

Oleds are great and if you're into simulation and shaders they essentially replace crts outside of lightgun games. You get the perfect blacks, can emulate shadow mask sets at 4k, and runahead has reduced latency to CRT levels for compatible emulators

But lcds are trash user. They were straight up inferior to high quality crts when they came out in every way outside of weight and size. They had inferior colors, bleeding, poor blacks, non variable refresh rates. Just shit all around

Is that a Duke statue?

>at the same speed as an electron beam

I doubt it

>only require a ROM patch!
Ehhh. That doesn't sound so promising. Sure, the NES library might work but there are a shit ton of light gun games for a shit ton of consoles. I doubt they're all going to get patched.

But I do have my own place

Attached: 20190201_230010.jpg (4032x3024, 2.78M)

Look at sonic. Look at streets of rage. I'd post pics but I'm lazy

Attached: 1391943540629.png (1292x532, 153K)

Because when I plug my older consoles into my OLED tv the picture looks like ass and is so blurry I can’t read anything.

A question with retardation built in. Wunderbar.

fuck off zoomer faggot. this is a well known and established fact. why provide source? google it, lazy fuck.

Because they look different, and you only have a limited amount of time to enjoy this experience because one day not too long form now all of the CRTs will be broken and unrepairable.

so once again sonic games are the only actual example...and not only that but like 1/2 things in sonic games

>my giant 55" oled has like 12ms input lag and you couldn't perceive it if you tried.
lol. Try playing any game with twitch reflex competitively.

Attached: Streets of Rage 2000.png (640x480, 14K)

Attached: vlcsnap-2017-10-16-22h33m02s714.png (720x480, 325K)

It's all over Vectorman.

Attached: genesis-vectorman-screenshot.png (648x409, 29K)

>all of the CRTs will be broken and unrepairable.

doesn't really matter when oled and microled can replicate the most important parts of the experience and filters can be tweaked infinitely

we are not losing aynthing with CRTs. anyone who thinks we are never had an electron gun go out.

Attached: comp.png (1381x476, 239K)

dude, just kill yourself.

Jesus man, seek help.

The blend is not the intent of this one, it's simply the only way to represent the art they wanted to represent. Genesis has no translucency

that's just dithering as a result of palette limitations. Not same thing at all.

The sonic one is definitely intentional, streets of rage could be argued but I don't agree. vectorman is not a case of this.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x448, 83K)

Funny you saying that. I remember the old family crt tv we used, it's older than me and still works.

I was gonna start looking around locally for a crt to watch old anime and other 4:3 shows on. Is it still as easy to find them as it was ten years ago?

just regular dithering, blend was not the intent

I get that you don't understand dithering because everything has alwyas been in 16.7 million colors to you, but the way digital art was created was very different in the past

>There are a finite number of things
>People constantly throw them away
>The rate at which they throw them away is accelerating as a geometric function
>Are they still as easy to find?

Are you sure your feeble personage is capable of transporting a CRT?

Man the only good thing about the old tv is the sounds. Flat screens just forces you to buy speakers or headsets.

>just regular dithering, blend was not the intent
Are you actually retarded? The first statement contradicts the second.

Attached: Comp 2.png (1360x480, 237K)

Depends where you live.

>that's just dithering as a result of palette limitations.
That's exactly the same thing. Nobody was meant to see the dithering. It was intended to blend over composite or RF.

You still need an upscaler for those, and until we have 4k upscalers you won't be able to do integer scaling from 240p. Even then you are introducing input lag, which is not desirable.

Also, OLED is retarded and will be dead faster than Plasma (which wasn't retarded).

the dithered one looks better imo. :)

No they don't. The intent of dithering is not to cause blending on CRTs. the intent of dithering is to express color gradiation with limited palettes.

there is a clear and hard delineation here between dithering being the intent or not. stuff like the sonic waterfall it was obviously the intent. stuff like earthworm jim it's just how you make the background not be huge strips of solid color.

>blend was not the intent

Off yourself immediately you waste of space.

my 55" TV costs more than everything you own, combined.

:)

>The intent of dithering is not to cause blending on CRTs
Objectively 100% false you utter retard. How do you even come to such stupid conclusions?

That's a bizarre reason to go online and lie about old video games.

Seriously. The limited colors of the Genesis was *why* they dithered so much. When played over composite they could generate three shades of green by using only two. Look at the crescent to Jim's right.

I while ago I had a dream where mommy made me visit an old couples house with her, and there was a TV and carpet that looked EXACTLY like this. The only difference was that there was a Nintendo 64 and no dumbwaiter.

>the intent of dithering is to express color gradiation with limited palettes.

Yes. By causing a blend.

>Good displays have been able to run inputs at 1:1 forever.
>1:1
ok

Attached: snes9x2.png (3840x2160, 19K)

what game is this? i want to play it in my oled emulator using a crt shader.

>The limited colors of the Genesis was *why* they dithered so much

right, functional limitation, not intent to have it blend.

we're now to the point where people who weren't born when these games game out are trying to override game development theory knowledge from someone who went to CES, so i'll be seeing you

Reminder this is why your board has dipped to being one of the lowest-post-quality discussion forums on the entire internet: You, despite knowing and accomplishing fucking nothing, can't learn from anyone.

>Good displays have been able to run inputs at 1:1 forever.
No modern TV even knows what the fuck 240p is, so it just runs it as if it's 480i, and that introduces issues all on its own.

>The intent of dithering is not to cause blending on CRTs. the intent of dithering is to express color gradiation with limited palettes.
This is the same thing. The color gradation was specifically generated by dithering colors together over composite. The end user was never meant to see the individual pixels like you get on an emulator. That's ultimately the end result when you play over RGB but so few people did back then the game designers never took that into account.

lmao, you are really retarded, aren't you?

Alot of people have cheap televisions so they just think old consoles look like trash. That's just where they corner cut because normie reedus doesnt give fuck unless it's on netflix.

>not intent to have it blend
[citation needed]

>right, functional limitation, not intent to have it blend.
What does "intent" mean to you? They knew the Genesis had the functional limitation of 64 colors on screen at once. They *intended* to circumvent that limitation by blending colors with dithering.

>not intent to have it blend.

I weep for our children's future.

cringe

looks like PC engine CD

>Some graphic designers toyed with these specificities and mastered the 0.5 dot technique. The word “pixel” translates in Japanese to “ドット” (”dot”). It seems that Hiroshi Ono (AKA Mr Dotman) was the first to use that word to describe his work, talking about dot-e (ドット絵, the “e” is the same as in “Ukiyo-e” and means picture) and dot character (ドットキャラクター or ドットキャラ) in the February 1983 issue of Namco NG.
>“It’s a technique where by slightly changing the color of surrounding pixels, to the human eye it looks like the pixels move by around 0.5 pixels.” explains Kazuhiro Tanaka, graphic designer on Metal Slug (1996). His colleague Yasuyuki Oda adds that “Back in the old days, we’d say [to our artists] "add 0.5 of a pixel”, and have them draw in the pixels by taking scanlines into account. But with the modern Full HD monitor, the pixels comes out too clearly and too perfectly that you can’t have that same taste.“
>Ayano Koshiro (Streets of Rage 2), Eiji Koyama (Galaxy Fight), Yoshinori Yamamoto (Marvel Vs Capcom) as well as some people who worked with Nobuyuki Kuroki at SNK said that they used this half pixel technique back in the day. Tatsuro Iwamoto, graphic designer on the first episodes of the Phoenix Wright / Gyakuten Saiban series released on Game Boy Advance, explained that he took account of that (sometimes unwanted) effect on Nintendo’s portable console.
vgdensetsu.tumblr.com/post/179656817318/designing-2d-graphics-in-the-japanese-industry

Attached: 1541815029363.png (1831x504, 877K)

Just get a 1080p 144hz 1ms input gaming monitor you fucking idiots. Most CRTs have 8ms and are worse.

try asking in local buy/sell/junk facebook group, I couldn't find one locally in-person or online so I asked there and got ten offers in an hour, all for free. i know >facebook but its one/last option at very least.

>doesn't read thread at all
>comes in to call people fucking idiots over something unrelated

k

what about ebay?

story of my life

I wouldn't recommend

Attached: ss+(2019-03-11+at+07.48.42).png (1843x153, 24K)

Keep in mind getting a pc to output to a 15khz CRT tv is a giant bitch that sent me down a rabbit hole I still haven't crawled out of. You'll be fine if you actually have them on DVD or want to use a wii/ps3 to output video and are okay with interlacing. A VGA pc monitor is a much simpler solution overall.
I bought a 14 inch JVC from ebay and it came in perfect condition in its original box. Experiences may vary, but always contact the seller and get them to take extra care in packaging

>find old shitty black and white Daewoo TV with just coaxial and UHF screw hookups, missing the front panel door, broken permanent antenna and scratches and scuffs all over
>List it for $200 on eBay "RETRO GAMING TV PRISTINE CONDITION SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY I KNOW WHAT I GOT"
>$80 shipping

The right image is awful though, you dumb nigger.

I didn't know that. Guess I'll have to use my old ps2 to watch them.

if we're lucky we'll all die before the crt does.

Obviously Chrono Cross

user......with stuff like anime..its art that was drawn..the resolution in real life is infinite...this is literally the use case for not viewing on a crt...

this is what i mean by "fetishism"

Not obvious to me, I never played it.

Literally nothing wrong with watching 640x480 video on a crt
>the resolution in real life is infinite
stop

>using a PS2 to play burned anime DVDs on a CRT
Soul overload.

CRT's have a more comforting presence.

PS3 is better for that. It's the only bluray player I know of that can connect to crts without needing an HDMI to composite converter.

480i output only though

ps2 has composite cables by default.

While I really do hate hipsters, I still prefer you dumb faggots over sjws.

I like that the OP chose that image, because chrono cross is one of the games that looks absolutely beautiful on a crt tv and horrendous on lcd.

I meant that the PS3 also uses the same cord as the PS2 while being a bluray player on top of being able to play DVDs and avi files stored on a flash drive. It really is the most versatile system to play media on a crt.

ah okay. cool.

Should I just buy a 10” cheap CRT from a thrift store for $10 or should I blow $100 on a Sony PVM?

10"? holy shit.

This discussion is mostly about the technical aspects of creating graphics targeting CRT displays, but I'll take a compliment when one is handed out.

Buy $10 local crt and use that until you come across a local PVM. Fuck the PVM hoarding cartel, don't buy their shit on eBay with inflated prices.

he called you a dumb faggot.

>10"

???
Smallest I would ever see in daily use in a household used to be something like 14".

Don't by anything smaller than 21", user.

he meant dollars

JVC i'Art or Sony Wega w/ component inputs are the practical, dirt cheap option.

No see, of the three groups mentioned, I identify as a SJW, and the compliment consists of the drama-pandring off-topic user staying the fuck away from me.

how much they cost? where are they sold?

I don’t actually know the size it looks maybe 13 inches. I used to have a 12 as a kid and it was fine. I live in an apartment with not a lot of space for a giant super heavy TV

8-9" is optimal size for a desk setup, I'd say 10" is pushing it but 12-13" is too big for a desk and too small for a TV stand.

???

So he was asking if he should buy "a 10$ cheap CRT from a thrift store for $10" ?

That's a lot of redundant information.

Attached: f.jpg (1123x800, 512K)

I have a 22" crt tv from when I was a kid. I can assure you, it's not that big and it's not that heavy. People exaggerate.

The sonys can be found for free in thrift shops/craigslist etc, just make sure they accept inputs okay and have component in. The JVCs I'm not sure about the asking price but there's one on my local CL without a price. Shouldn't be too expensive.

I did used to keep a 15" at the end of my bed for playing Metroid Prime, so if 13" works out for you, do what you much.

Try saying that to my face and not over your 56k modem.

A nice collection of consoles, but the space they take up kinda inspires me towards emulators. I've got an old 32 inch GE CRT TV that should look nice with some retroarch running out to it. I should have enough parts laying around to hook an old p4 system to it. If the concept runs well on testing, I may splurge on an ssd and a fresh video card.

>le "I don't get what people are talking about but I will try to make them look stupid anyway" meme

for the most part they're outdated garbage but there are a few reasons to still use them today. 4:3 games and latency.

cringe and bluepilled

>tfw live on Vancouver Island and no thrift shops accept them anymore and I can’t find any local ones on Craigslist/kijiji, etc
FUCK

What you "must".
I am a retard.

well, that's good to know. I honestly thought they would be expensive as shit and I would have to buy them on ebay or similar.

CRTs have much worse image quality(especially their black levels) than LCDs. Only delusional boomers and gullible zoomers think otherwise.

>le pills meme

Reminds me of the time some bozo claimed to have "come up" with that one.

ROAD TRIP

That wasn't what anyone was talking about, however. So you're having this dramatic name-calling discussion with yourself.

Don't forget to dilate, tranny.

PVM market has been completely run into the ground, and is not going to recover anytime soon. No shame in using the more pragmatic alternatives when they're just about as good barring RGB input while being 50x cheaper.

that's because /vr/ is an echo chamber

what's PVM?

/vr/ knows their shit, sorry, zoomer.

Anyone have thoughts on the Sony Wega KV27FS120? It’s the only one in my area for 2 hours.

Are you retarded? Did you read the thread? Did you even read the opening post?

>tfw was starving myself to save up money for a specific crt on ebay but now I'm hesitating cause I'm afraid it will break while being shipped and seems like too much of a hassle to get a refund if it happens
I wish I could just go to a thrift store but they don't take crts anymore and I don't want to get mugged responding to a Craigslist ad.

crt monitors made by sony

Professional video monitor, the expensive monitors that were used in corporate settings for editing/monitoring and such. Overhyped and overpriced nowadays but the sharpness and RGB inputs are nice (and they look cool)
Looks good as long as it's very cheap, I have a very similar model. Be wary the geometry may be funky since it's a flat screen and not convex
What model?

Attached: pvm.jpg (1600x1200, 410K)

Did you?
People are adressing OP immediately on the idea that it should look "better," by clarifying that it merely looks different, and that graphics were quite often designed to utilise this difference.

From what I understand they're monitors that were mostly used for security cameras and hospitals. Theyre ugly boxy looking things that look like they slide into a metal casing and they also have prominent scan lines that some people love.

It’s $30 and it’s a 27 inch. I just gotta get someone to help me lift it since I’m a lanklet

>le tranny meme

Classy.

I have a 32" widescreen crt tv. Is it good for retro gaming?

Might be.
Depends a bit on whether it forces that aspect.

Boomers stuck in 1994

$30 isn't the end of the world but you should try to talk them down a bit. You're basically doing them a favor taking the tv off their hands, especially since you can't simply dump them anymore.
I was actually able to lift my 27 inch solo since there are conveniently placed handle formations on the underside but I had to keep taking breaks every 15 feet and was sore the next day.
What really matters are the inputs on the TV. RGB>Component>S-video>composite. If you can get a good picture that you're happy with on it then there's no need to fall into the crt meme market

>I just gotta get someone to help me lift it since I’m a lanklet

Attached: soyboy.jpg (757x114, 14K)

>meme
How can it be a meme when it's true?

>/vr/ knows their shit, sorry, zoomer.
lmao no they don't /vr/ is a bunch of brainlet dadshit collectors with no skill.

Attached: sega mesh.png (500x240, 33K)

Go to /g/ if you want to be a tech elitist.

And they are wrong. CRTs don't only look different, they look considerably worse in every aspect.

The Genesis(at least earlier models) have immaculate RGB quality, and that was put there for a reason. Saturn and PSX games tend to use dithering/mesh effects as well and those systems had officially sold RGB cables straight from Sega or Sony.
Personally I use RGB for most games but switch to composite for games that use heavy or full-screen dithering, which is usually more of a 5th gen thing.

All good memes have an amount of truth to them, user.

But again, that's not what we were talking about.

it's not crt meme market. It's a tv my family had and I sort of inherited it. It's big and it's widescreen and I never used it. I was thinking of playing PS2 games on it since I don't know how to hook it up in a computer to play with emulators.

Well I was saying there's no need to get anything else if the one you have works well! Do you know what inputs the TV has?

>that's not what we were talking about.
You got me. Pretending to be retarded. Hilarious.

games made for crt tvs look much better on it than on lcd and that's a fact.

imagine being this much of a zoomer brainlet.

We really weren't.
And if we had been, your initial input wouldn't really have been helping anyone. So why you're still here continues to be a mystery.

Nostalgia googles.

user, no.

During the congressional meetings over Mortal Kombat, the game was observed on a Sony PVM-2530, with the stupid rare chassis speaker addons too.

Attached: 20190311_024720.jpg (1883x1614, 1.37M)

Component and composite, I think. I don't know if it has rgb.

Component is good, will be perfect for all basic usage. Pick up a ps2 component cable and get to work!

>waahhh don't criticise crts they're just different than lcds not worse

It's pure nostalgia, or in the case of zoomers, the kind of faux nostalgia that made vaporwave so popular.

Those are both me, and you're directly misquoting on purpose.

I am unsure of why.

Good thing our PRs aren't gaming like n00bs.

Try to play a 1-6 gen game on a widescreen, stupid brat.

I honestly think you're the faux boomer.

You have to be underage if you don't understand how bad a 240p/480i image looks on a LCD compared to a CRT.

Consumer TVs almost always use the SCART connector if they're compatible with RGB. If you live outside of Europe or maybe Japan you can expect 99.99% of all consumer CRTs you find to not have RGB support.

They don't look worse. They look much clearer. You are just living in a fantasy world like the people who think 24 fps video looks better than 60 fps video.

Then I guess it doesn't have rgb support.

what a bad zoomer analogy.

maybe super expensive high end tvs now can compete, but try playing any 2d sonic game on a crt vs lcd and u will notice that there is absolute zero motion blur on a crt which makes the game feel so much better.

>They look much clearer
So you haven't attempted to display 240p/480i on one. So you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about yet you keep posting.

Wasn't SCART a French invented stardard mostly adopted in Europe?

I only ever see US gamers talk about component cables.

This is the time where you either back up your ramblings with supporting images, or just leave.

it's the samefag with the same nonsense. scroll above and you can see anons telling him to kill himself. it's a waste of space. stop feeding yous to this retard.

I have. They look much clearer than playing on a CRT, but playing on original hardware is really another dumb nostalgia meme. If you want optimal clarity then you need go the emulator route.

>whaah stop bad mouthing CRTs
>j-just leave
Pathetic.

Imagine living alone in a smelly gross dungeon full of 25 year old garbage

nope he didn't say that. he asked you to support your retardness with image comparisons.

Standard definition does not look anything even remotely close to clear when upscaled on a HDTV.
Also
>emulation
>on an LCD
Its like you want input lag.

It was, it was standard in pretty much all of Europe since the 80s and most modern HDTVs still have these inputs. Since the early 90s, even the low-end CRTs in Europe had support for RGB which makes it pretty easy to find a good tube for old vidya. Doesn't really make up for the slow 50hz PAL games we got though.

America got S-Video which is slightly inferior but still a huge upgrade over composite.

Living the dream. *Pffssht* yeeep

do people not understand upscaling? 240p/480i is gonna look better on a sdtv than a fucking 1080p screen.

>pathetic
lol

how about you cry harder, you nigger

it's not peiople, it's one solitary troll who has no life.

i prefer the first

I never claimed it looked clear, only that it looked much clearer than on a CRT. This is the whole argument for CRTs, that they blur the image in a "pleasing" way, which is of course nonsense. You are just getting worse image quality and then using mental gymnastics to try and convince yourself that it actually looks because you don't want to admit you're blinded by nostalgia.

Using a low latency LCD and an emulator with runahead enabled, you can now actually get less input delay than on original hardware.

Wish you dudes would post more pictures of crts or something instead of arguing.

>only that it looked much clearer than on a CRT
Which is objectively wrong and incredibly obvious if you've ever seen both in your life.
>runahead
>wanting on demand frameskipping
Just play the way it was intended and you won't need such silly things. I'm not even saying buy the original games because they're way overpriced these days, pirate the games but use original hardware.

>only 55"
lol

For me personally I prefer old kit 'cause there's an anti decadence to it which I enjoy.

Final Fantasy Tactics

Attached: CRT root menu.jpg (1716x1140, 705K)

>no images
I guess you were wrong.
I hope you enjoyed the (you)s.

I don't wanna play retro games on my 55 incher. You're practically doing the exact same thing these "fetishizing zoomers" are, by desperately trying to preach wrong information about latencies and your supposedly nice OLED. Go throw your cum on it, and let me use my 55" for modern gaming and my cheap ass black box for retro gaming.

Aight then.

An man, the whole 50/60 == 576/480 debacle was a nuisence. I'm glad that HDMI stadards finally killed that shit off.

You should brighten the room up, getting eye strain just looking at that pic.

image clarity is not the only aspect of image quality

CRTs have a "glow" that modern screens do not replicate at all

That used to be half the fun of video games.

Name the game on the screen or fuck off newfags.

Already been named in the thread, Moustafa.

>Which is objectively wrong and incredibly obvious if you've ever seen both in your life.
You have just retreated into delusion completely now so there's no point in trying to reason with you.

>on demand frameskipping
You'll only get frame skipping if you set the amount of runahead frames too high. You have to set it individually for each game. because different games have different amounts of input lag. You've probably just set it to three frames or something, and then not changed it when playing a game that only needed one frame if you're experienced skipping.

I don't need to post images. It's like you asking me to post an image to prove that a picture taken with a Game Boy Camera isn't clearer than a picture taken with a DSLR.

>I don't need to post images.
Yes you do.

are crts generally brighter that LCds or is it just because i never calibrated it?

Is this bait? Learn the difference between your/you’re and there/their before you imply that anybody else isn’t smart, you fucking retard.

So where does coaxial belong in the tier list, is it worse than composite since it's older? There's a lot of cool looking tubes out there that only have coaxial hookups.

Check our r/crtgaming on Reddit before asking something this stupid

I think its time you posted proof of your ridiculous claims. Also runahead is still frameskipping no matter the amount of frames skipped.

Generally much brighter. A CRTs is literally a powerful and constantly recalibrating ray of light being fired at you.

Sounds dangerous.

Attached: 1545072197626.png (938x507, 429K)

Coaxial is the bottom of the barrel, yes. This is because video and audio are carried on the same line, degrading the signal. Composite separates video and audio and RGB or S-Video further separate the video in different ways.

Fatal in a few indicents even.
Though not because of the light, but because of the vacuum housing impoding.

The switch to flat panels was generally a good thing.

Coaxial didn't HAVE to be bad.
It mostly was because of the adopted standards. Which -did- allow for people to receive over 50 channels through the same cable, but still.

Nowadays, many internet users still get their broadband service through the old coaxial cables.

Damn that sounds like shit for video games but maybe still passable for watching old TV shows and movies. I really like that rounded aesthetic 70's crts have.

CRTs typically have a peak luminosity of around 176 cd/m2 while LCDs can range from 276 to 1460 cd/m2.

>Also runahead is still frameskipping no matter the amount of frames skipped.
Look up how it works. It skips a frame, but then before that skipped frame would be displayed on screen, it rolls back to a state before you pushed the button and pushes it "before" you did from the game's perspective so no frames are actually skipped from the viewer's perspective. So for example if you're playing a vertical shooter with one frame of input delay and the background is scrolling at 60 fps, when you push the fire button, before that frame is even sent to the display, it will go back to the sate the game was in before you pushed the button, input the button press and then send the frame to the screen. All the while the background will be scrolling at a continuous 60 fps and there will be no gaps in its movement.

True, but in the case of video game consoles that output RF it's always going to look like dogshit. You don't really have a choice if you're using a 2nd gen console, Atari 7800 or NES Toploader though, unless you mod them.

Imagine living with a bossy cunt and her PILLOWS PILLOWS PILLOWS fucking everywhere and some cheesey framed picture from Walmart that says "live laugh love."

Much truth.
I'm lucky to have one of the Master System models with SCART output around. It still isn't the best in the world, but a lot easier and cleaner than RF.

No him, but living with my gf for six years, I've had to put down the foot several times on shit like that. Empty vases for decoration as well. But that shit away unless you have flowers in it. Same with candlesticks.

Our neighbors though... Fucking framed quote collages from movies and faux-worn prints of old coffee brand posters.

Sega really was ahead of their time with the Master System video outputs, I wish others followed their example a little sooner.

Some meme about niggers or something

>mfw i played halo 4 and still used CRT then

Attached: 1523707893798.png (992x940, 415K)

Why the fuck do you keep saying "we"? Nigger I'm 32 and I play my old systems on my CRT.

>we wanted the left more than anything.

We didn't know that such a possibility existed. Home computer monitors were CRT at the time as well.

They put a VGA-out on the Dreamcast like real men. Took the other console makers seven/eight years to improve on that.

Same, even turbonerds have better taste in decor than women trying to play interior design with $100 and a trip to a department store. Covering everything in pillows that you have to move to sit down is my biggest pet peeve.
Also fun fact, those pillows are amazingly flammable.

The fucking pillows, man.
She tried allowing one of these freak shows into the living room one time and we had to have "the talk".

Attached: 91Mc0PVaBFL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 38K)

imagine actually thinking this

Attached: 1551312778152.jpg (600x600, 78K)

What settings do I have to use on an emulator in order for games not to look like shit? I don't have a CRT in this house and I want to play PS2 Ace Combats

Of course we did, because we were not retarded. the forthcoming nature of LCD displays was known in the 80s

there is no benefit whatsoever to playing ps2-era games on crt vs lcd

Well it looks like total shit on my LCD and you can't make out half the radar so what do

If you mean more modern flat panels, sure, but LCD? Hell nah.

GameCube and PS2 games look much better on a CRT than an LCD as they sport little to no AA, they color ranges were designed with deep black in mind, and the image delay on most LCDs from component/composite input ranged from noticably less fun to barely even playable.

Why do you think so many people took issue with the Wii's IR cursor? And the Wii's absence of an HDMI output in general? By that time, most had invested in flat-panels, only to find that their new TVs made a fucking mess out of older signal types, AND there was a noticable delay.

>why would you want worse picture quality?
But it looks better on old TVs.

>8bit/16bit
CRTs
>32bit/64bit
PVMs
>the rest
OLED HD TVs

>all those faggots saying right isn't the best
How to spot underageb& that never played on OG hardware.

now do a trinitron not a 1950s shadow mask on the right

A pixel is a pixel. You can't say it's only a half.

This is more how emulating think it should look like IE choice, all better than superSAL or xbr puke. However I wouldn't fault anyone playing the raw output on the left of yours.

Attached: emu.png (1068x369, 282K)

Its mostly nostalga fags. Older consoles with composite cable output dont look good in hd lcd widescreen tv. CRT also have low latency.

As an old fag i dont miss crt for a second.

It's a Duo.

>ITT: PEOPLE ACTUALLY DEFENDING HUGE BLACK LINES THROUGH THEIR SCREEN
NO NO NO HAHAHA

Attached: 50064-compare.jpg (862x432, 150K)

looks pretty comf

Attached: battlestation2.jpg (1200x900, 167K)

ok.....

What I think happens is this

When you see a medium crt, movies from actual film, at a young age your Brian adapts in a particular way to seeing them, it add layers and associations of enjoyment realism an cues.

When this changes eg to LCD HD or 4K or digital movies, your brain does not have the same ques or adaptation.

For instance when I watch a recent Disney type movie on 4K tv, and it recent digital animation, it looks like a bundle of stills and not a movie and not visual engageing.

However when I watch eg alice in wonderland or the old mill yes great.

Similar to when I play mame on a HD monitor, it looks not like I enjoyed even if objectively better.

The blur did something as well as the lower rest (sorta) you brain paints part of the picture for you in a way that reading a book does and a movie cannot.

I also think its part of that was the media the game was made for and so some how it optimized for that vision both consciously and subconsciously and gives a certain

je ne sais quoi

that is hard to replicate.

Put all of that together and you can get quite a heady mix of nostalgia goggles that actually work

kill yourself tripfag

I think nintendo wii looks pretty good on 1080 Plasma

ahh I feel legit now
thanks

You sound absolutely delusional and retarded. Don't post again.

you knew I you do this
and yes I maybe delusional and retarded,

but that does not speak to any point I made

Attached: Panasonic FT2700.jpg (1536x2048, 748K)

I actually got my Xbox one to work on a coaxial CRT, it took ages but I’m proud of myself

It’s comfy
>HDMI to AV conversion
>emulation in an old CRT
>4:3 aspect ratio VHS rips of tech tv
It’s really nice OP

Thats a sony bvm you fucking retard, you only wish you could afford one

Why do you make retarded fucking threads like this? Are you too stupid to think for yourself and formulate answers or are you a retard meme poster who shits on his keyboard every morning?

Frankly, a CRT is only good for 240p games because the scanlines are a necessity due to most modern TVs not recognizing said resolution and needing the scanlines to make the look appear more coherent. Your mileage varies on 480i/p on CRTs and LCDs.
Lastly, anything 720p and up is better off on a LCD.

Or, you could just bite the bullet, get an OSSC and have the best of both worlds anyway minus the rich blacks of a CRT..