youtu.be/_q-LO7bfOGQ
youtube.com/watch?v=9cdR8Ryn4wE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>shit console
>shit game
and nothing of value was lost

Shit wtf mines are like that too

Its the label they used for the disc.

Multiple games will rot because of this.

None of mine are like that. What kind of swap do you live in?

>Regular CDs-DVDs are meant to last 20-50 years (RW even less).
>Carbon CDs as of the original playstation can last 1000 years.
Why is this allowed?

I have old CDs from the 80s that are still perfectly fine.

My Tekken 3 CD that I left at the bottom of blank cdr cds still works.

>TTS
good.
SSDs are the superior physical format anyways.

Define 'disc rotting'

Are they still readable?

>hating the second best console of sixth gen
Hello zoomer

fpbp

After looking it up apparently it's a super common problem with TTS. My copy has some minor bubbling on disc 1 but it's also perfectly playable according to everyone that's talked about it. I'd test my copy but I'm too lazy to bother with getting my GC wires out of my closet.

WE'RE ALL BORN WITH AN EXPIRATION DATE

Attached: maxresdefault (2).jpg (1280x720, 50K)

I don't own physical games, but I own hundreds of music cds, some form the late 80s... will this inevitably happen or is it something special about gamecube labels?

Better start ripping those fuckers anyway, I guess.

Attached: 1552065322807.png (460x460, 429K)

Yeah I still have all my games and non of them are doing that. Maybe you are just a fucking retard and don't know how to properly store you stuff. Ever think of that you fucking retard?

Attached: low_poly_gonzo_by_the_titan-d4rwr31.gif (96x94, 58K)

Not a single one of my PS2 games have disc rot.

Disc rot is so fucking uncommon you shouldn't even worry

You won't be able to prevent it you fucking dumbshit.

same. They're not exposed to air or sunlight or in contact with the ground

That aint disc rot though

rip them and put them on a hard or solid drive? Fucking retard

Its specifically a problem with mgs on gamecube. Something with the label they used. Effects a large majority of the discs out there.
Yes

kojima knew it was irredeemable trash

It will eventually happen.

Disc rot will eventually destroy every cd. However, storage conditions, temperature and moisture are huge factors.

If you keep your shit in relitive room temp, keep them dry and don't just toss them around out of their cases, they could last for decades.

>I have over 1000 games on my shelf
>They will all rot away
What have I done

Attached: disgust.png (1000x850, 655K)

A+ cherry picking OP

it is well documented and known that GameCube games in general but especially MGS twin snakes specifically was manufactured poorly so are prone to pic related.

None of my CD games or CD music discs have any issues at all. My metal CDs from the 80s all still work despite spending a lot of time in a hot humid truck glovebox most of the time. All my PS1 and PS2 games are fine.

stop fear mongering.

Aren't you that user from 2008 who was arguing with me in favor of physical media over digital? I fucking TOLD YOU BRO. I told you that was gonna happen.

>have kept a gamecube disc that I've been too lazy to move near my window on a nightstand for years now
>window constantly leaks moisture which causes rot which I have to bleach from time to time
>hot or cold moist air depending on the season
>disc is fine somehow

Attached: 1503788249499.jpg (1200x1200, 266K)

>physical media over digital
>games are on digital video discs
u want ur games on tape user?

They'll outlast you unless you haphazardly handle them.

what's the point in physical media these days when every game you buy comes with a 50gb patch you need to download in order to play?

As will we, user. but the discs will probably outlast us.

Attached: 1548036793079.png (1602x1080, 1.66M)

Fucking retarded zoomer. Don't you have another board to shit up?

Well, no. There's ways to prevent disc rot provided the discs haven't started rotting. Specifically, it's advised to keep your cases upright and in room temperature with low humidity. It's not a perfect solution, but it'll preserve them as best as possible and lower the risk of the discs warping or rotting

just store them on an SSD and shelf them for backup, dingus.
Nothing short of an EMP in your house will destroy that.

Silicon Knights fucking you from beyond the grave.

I'm 26.

post 6th gen, yes, there is no reason to own physical. Every game releases broken as hell or missing lots of stuff and needs a day 1 patch to finish or fix the game. For 7th, 8th, 9th gens just go all digital.

Twin Snakes is the only gamecube game that does this and nobody knows why this shit is rampant with it though it doesn't effect gameplay at least.

I just checked mine and it looks perfectly fine. I've owned it for like 15 years now. What causes that?

Exactly. A ps2 Zoomer. You were hardly around for this stuff so stfu already.

So that our descendants will get to only play the actually good vidya

I've heard that save files on GBA games will eventually delete themselves and saving won't work anymore. Something about internal batteries running out. Is this true?

Attached: 1480905301417.jpg (1224x1445, 125K)

Underrated post

Wasn't bootfighter just some random indie game someone shat out?

Should have collected cartridges. Nothing lasts forever but at least I'll be dead before they start failing.

I actually had a Mega Drive first.
Stop being a tech illiterater doomsayer.

The DC was the best 6th gen console, you flighty nigger.

Or a fire?

>26
>Zoomer
I thought in order to be considered a Zoomer you had to be born after the PS2 at the very minimum.

Attached: 1429696396135.jpg (343x356, 52K)

So what if the label rots off? Unless you're a collector fag.

not gba but original game boy, like pokemon red and stuff because the game saves are on a watch battery. They are super easy to replace but you will lose your save.

I've got a pretty decent ps2, xbox, ps1 and dreamcast collection and have no issues.

Degradation of the data layer, usually due to living in a shit tier overly humid climate and taking zero measures to mitigate this

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1040x1040, 145K)

Will cartridges make a return someday?

>collect closets worth of plastic clutter when they all fit on a thumb drive
why

>Used copies of TTS going for $95 on amazon right now.

I considered buying it back in 2008 when I was hype as fuck for MGS4 but didn't because barely any Gamestops had it and the ones who did were selling them for over $50.

sure then you're fucked either way I guess.

apparently this is very common with that game for some reason. TTS actually has FoxDie holy fucking kek

>zero measures to mitigate this
what exactly can you do
running a dehumidifier 24/7 isn't exactly practical

There isn't one, other than maybe nintendo games just because they have ass backwards account systems that are tied to hardware. Physical media pretty much died with the PS2. Even PS3/360 games often had critical patches that are gonna be impossible to get without piracy in another 2 years or so.

it's shit compared to the original game anyways.
Be glad you missed it.

I borrowed a friend's. It wasn't THAT bad

freeze them

there are plenty of 360/ps3 games that never released digitally

If an EMP or fire fucks up your PC I guarantee no matter how much of a fat worthless fuck you are you will have far far bigger concerns than "but muh game collection! nooo!"

Building houses such that they control their own damned climate is a start.

But seeing as how it's a third world problem and governments in charge of building codes will therefor be horribly corrupt, it's on you to take sensible measures in storing your media.
Something as simple as a tupperware bin with a slilica gel canister will work wonders.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (425x425, 38K)

I have PS1 games from 1996 and they're still in perfect condition. I have music CDs from 1993 that are still in perfect condition.

Did Nintendo jew out on the Gamecube discs or something?

Saying "eventually" they will rot is like saying plastic will "eventually" break down. Most CDs, especially anything from like the mid to late 80s onward, will not rot in the owner's lifetime if they're not living in Jamaica with their CDs exposed to the elements.

Depending on the platform, the label rotting off will make the disc unable to read.

Filling the boxes you store them in with silica packets is about the only other thing you can do. You should probably do that with anything you store though really.

>Segafags still seethin 20 years later

Attached: c44.jpg (782x440, 61K)

zoomer is post 95

Live somewhere good

>not keeping your video games in the freezer
wow. i forgot how casual nu-Yea Forums is

the melodic OST was gone, replaced by diamond dozen ambience and spy techno crap, the sound effects were literally public library garbage without a kick, the balance was COMPLETELY broken by using MGS2's engine, and no effort was put to mitigate it.
Voice acting and cutscenes are also unironic soul vs soulless meme

youtu.be/qgzdj1lYQhw

youtu.be/_q-LO7bfOGQ

Attached: a78.jpg (854x859, 372K)

Physical versus Digital is a debate for brainlets. Both are shit with DRM, and both are great without DRM.

Disc rot? Yeah, it sucks. But if the game were DRM-free, you could have just made a back-up of it.

Digital retailer going out of business? Yeah, it sucks. But if the game were DRM-free, you could have just made a back-up of it.

Attached: physical-vs-digital.png (905x473, 52K)

You can replace the battery with the game running and preserve your save

Attached: download (1).jpg (259x194, 8K)

I have a 20 year old copy of RE2 that i still play to this day. Stop being apes with your stuff and it will last.

Attached: AF34E0E3-575C-4496-9501-10C2A7158CB5.jpg (1537x2048, 564K)

Your hand me down trailer trash console from when your older brother went to prison does not mean you're a proper gamer from the era. 26 puts you at not even alive. Your opinion is worthless.

that sounds like a good way to get electrocuted

probably easier to just copy the save with one of those transfer cables

I won't argue with most of that but the voice acting was unironically better. Naomi and Mei-Ling had no reason to have their accents and they didn't have them in MGS4 either.

The cutscenes blow, but that's Kojima's fault. They were going to do a shot for shot remake but Kojima wanted it to be like one of his japanese animes

>disc rot is caused by "being apes"
I don't think you understand what it is.

Under normal circumstances CD/DVD have a lifespan of 50 to 200 years so you can all calm down

I don't think the power running through a GBA is really a danger

holy crap, didn’t know that

t. zoomer

>I own hundreds of music cds, some form the late 80s...
so did i, then i secure ripped them to lossless and mp3 and tried to sell the discs at a used cd store and they were worth less than the gas i burned in my car to get to the store. physical copies of music, unless its a super rare limited press with fucking awesome cover art that never reproduced is fine to keep, but any mass produced popular albums just secure rip them while you can.

>playing on your shitty lagging crap emulator
>in the year 2019

You've had 30 years to get these games. I should ask you why. Do you live in a tin can with no space? Nothing beats playing on original hardware. Only poorfags who pawned their shit for crack would argue otherwise.

50 years isn't comforting user

thats basically telling me when I finally have retired and can find the time to replay all these childhood favorites they might not work anymore.

Though honestly finding a working TV that even has the connection ports and can display these games at an acceptable resolution in 50 years will probably be the really daunting part.

most people don't collect 30 year old plastic garbage, user, hence why it's a niche hobby.
Convenience trumps your feelings, gramps

Nothing inside a gameboy poses an actual threat

Now a CRT (which I also work on while on) will kill you if you don't do things right

>Dreamcast
>literally the last console Sega ever made
>stopped being produced almost a decade before ps2 did
>the best

OK, I took the bait, now what?

I dont think you do either because everytime some retard makes a thread like this i am yet to see a single irl example of a video game being affected by disc rot with doomsayers repeating nothing but "heh. ONE day" like gleedul little faggots.

well if you hardware status boomers are such horrible people towards the current generation I'm glad this trash dies with you.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Things that exist start to not exist after a while?! Holy shit! This is insane news!

Most people already have the games. Jesus do you even know how to comprehend what you read? You would have to be a full retard to buy any retro cartridge based game the last few years. Another retarded fucking zoomer.

FPBP

It'll be tough to find a new TV with AV cable ports in a few years. You can forget about it in 50 years

MGS4 doesn't even exist in my radar, user.
You have garbage taste, don't @ me anymore.

Attached: Girugamesh01.png (452x391, 122K)

Enjoy not owning anything that you use.

>that sounds like a good way to get electrocuted

Are you a house fly?

Why would you own overpriced collectables when you could probably sell a single one of them at current eBay prices and buy enough flashcarts to convert your entire setup over to something sane?

Feel free to play on original hardware, but holy fuck, if you're using original software you're an absolute fucking retard. Nobody has a legitimate use for carts in 2019, if you're sane you sell them, if you're a dumb bagholder you preserve them and hope in 50 years they'll be worth even more than they are today.

no they don't.
Most normal adults tossed that shit out in ther late teens to mid 20's. Why do you think there's so many pawned and on ebay?

I still have sega cd games on perfect condition

Oh shit my Twin Snakes disks are like that too, thought it was just mine. Is there a way to seal it up to help slow down the disk rot? I've heard clear nail polish but I'm not so sure.

Attached: 48411786_331423507451989_4764207625732620288_n.png (680x675, 232K)

based and redpilled

Who ever said I don't have modern consoles lol. Just called out an idiot that wanted to talk like he was there and knows. When he doesn't obviously and I'm sure my kids will sell off my shit when I die. Idc I just hope they don't sell the other collections.

>Saying "eventually" they will rot is like saying plastic will "eventually" break down. Most CDs, especially anything from like the mid to late 80s onward, will not rot in the owner's lifetime if they're not living in Jamaica with their CDs exposed to the elements.

Absolute nonsense, Dreamcast disc rot is already starting to be a massive problem for collectors globally, not just in "Jamaica", it's easy to find PS1 stuff suffering from disc rot and now we're starting to see PS2 stuff going bad as well.

>will not rot in the owner's lifetime
If you own Dreamcast, PS1 and PS2 stuff, I guarantee it WILL rot in your lifetime. 95% of collections will be trash within 20 years.

Keep your discs in a hermetically sealed box when not in use guys, its not that hard

I own multiple backups of all my games in storage, and it takes up one (1) drawer.
Also I didn't pay for them either since games are free online, so I don't care either way.
I sold my childhood shit years ago to get a dirtbike

>But seeing as how it's a third world problem and governments in charge of building codes will therefor be horribly corrupt
Ah, so it’s just an american problem. That’s a load of my mind.

Inevitably anything on this earth rots away, look how difficult art preservation or old book collecting is, most things collected now will not last our lifespan. But in a reasonable time frame? Most discs will survive probably your lifespan before they give out, despite common belief care of disks has more to do with quality of the CD than disc rot, disc rot is usually a factory issue meaning games like Twin Snakes and a portion of the Gamecube library, certain PS1 games, a decent amount of Dreamcast/Saturn and a good portion of early disc based gaming like SEGA CD. Music CDs usually had better printing than games did so they'll mostly be fine, but some niche or indie labels might be fucked.

The real danger will machines that play disc based media due to their high rate of failure even without use and manufacturing of the parts needed to fix or replace them becoming less and less.If these things are failing in less than ten to twenty years imagine what 40 and 50 will do to them. Not to mention minor parts where they cut corners failing like the weird Xbox capacitor leak of doom that'll brick all Box's in the next few years if you don't pull it.

I think once all these old CRTs start dying off there might be a niche market making new ones just for video games. But 50 years is a long time and they'll probably be done doing that by then too.

Pretty much everybody knows that physical media will eventually degrade to a point of unuseability.

That's why backups are a great idea, and things like SD card loaders for old cd based consoles are awesome.

They're my games. I have money, house, cars etc so I have no need to sell them. You're not making any sense user and no... most people didn't toss that shit out. They're parents did and they traded in, sold them for crack. Why do think this shit tossed in the trash is worth so much now. Just stupid the shit you're saying, you missed the boat. Enjoy your downloads lol.

You know children lick 9volt batteries for fun right

I actually own my physical games which will easily last me 30+ years. All your digital games are legally rented, and Steam can and will take every single one away from you within the next decade, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Attached: sfadsfasfdad.jpg (278x181, 9K)

>weird Xbox capacitor leak of doom that'll brick all Box's in the next few years if you don't pull it.
explain?

I have a storage unit in Antarctica.

>walked his fat ass over to the shelf to take a picture of his game to make a point
Dunno why, but it's making me laugh.

i've had cds from the 80's that are fine still and games from the 2000's that are going bad

I'm not him, but yeah, it's a thing.
youtube.com/watch?v=9cdR8Ryn4wE

You can easily back up digital games an infinite amount of times.

You can't physically manufacturer and produce new original copies of your collection.

My copies are fine.
OP is a bitch nigga.

Attached: IMG_20190310_183220.jpg (1840x3264, 986K)

They cheaped out on this little buddy right here and its useful lifespan is ending right about now.
If yours hasn't already swollen and burst, leaking acid everywhere that will ruin the mainboard, then it soon will and could blow at any moment.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1600x1200, 401K)

Games were typically printed on extremely cheap discs, Dreamcast stuff being the cheapest of the lot is why we're seeing them lead the charge for gaming, I suspect Wii stuff will start to rot way ahead of schedule as well.

>Absolute nonsense, Dreamcast disc rot is already starting to be a massive problem for collectors globally, not just in "Jamaica", it's easy to find PS1 stuff suffering from disc rot and now we're starting to see PS2 stuff going bad as well.

I own games from each one of those consoles. All my discs look exactly the same as the day I got them.

The capacitor used in Xboxes to keep the time is of poor quality and will leak all over the console. Mine was bulging but hadn't sprayed acid everywhere just yet.

Also my launch PS2 can only read some disks while vertical.

Attached: leaky-clock-caps.jpg (600x800, 120K)

>You can't physically manufacturer and produce new original copies of your collection.
Except you can. Very easily in fact.

The super cap is only rated for like 50-100 charges. Not sure what they where thinking not just going the coin cell route to keep the clock up.

That's rotational velocidensity for you.

Man, some other old CD systems have these doom clocks.

The phillips CDI has one and it's killing what's left of those left and right.

I pulled my PS2 out for the first time in years to play my old Ace Combat games after 7 came out and I had a sinking feeling it wasn't going to work. It's been chugging along good but I get nervous everytime I turn it on. The last time I tried playing it, my controllers didn't work and I had to buy some shitty nu-Madcatz substitute

Game Gear units also have a capacitor problem so well known people sell kits for repair.

>I own games from each one of those consoles. All my discs look exactly the same as the day I got them.
>works for me
That's nice user, but anecdotal personal experience doesn't disprove the harsh, physical reality of entropy.
Just because you're alive today doesn't mean you're immortal.
Retard.

If you keep your ROMs stored in a cool, dry place then you'll be fine.

They put a fucking coin cell IN a chip.

Only time that has been done I think.

HURRDURRHURR DISC ROT XDDDD

Enough with this goddamn stinky-ass maymay already. Hell, my copy is even used, I don't know what the fuck OP did to their discs. Probably shoved them in his asscrack and let them sun-dry, fuck off with your doom-posting.

Attached: MGS.jpg (862x1149, 164K)

Quit being a clumsy sloven and take care of your belongings. The label disappearing isn't disc rot.
My music CDs from the 80 are still fine. You are trying to justify paying for a download, but nothing can justify paying for a download. Damn I wish PC got DRM free physical releases, I would start paying for games again.

No, those are reproductions, not original copies, and they'll be cheap, poor quality reproductions at that.

Games were never going to last forever you stupid fucks. This happens to all goods. The only way to keep our favourite games alive is through emulation, or by badgering Jewish game companies to make digital backwards compatibility a absolute staple of future gaming.

>not keeping your collection in a fridge.
Your own fault user

I still have the exact game and mine looks fine. I legitimately don't know how this could happen to someone. All of my GameCube, ps2, and even psx discs look fine.

EMPs?
more like a kid playing with magnets

Emulators aren't laggy and generally you can play most pre ps2 era games in pretty much 100% accuracy easily,with good scanlines,and ps2,GCN and even Wii games emulate pretty much perfectly and can be played rendered at high resolutions making them look better than many of their HD remasters.I also collect some of my favorite games but usually when I actually play older games it is on an emulator,at 100% speed and good accuracy and scanline options.

Even with eventual rot issues, physical media is still the way to go. How the fuck does anyone trust digital media that they don't own, on platforms where licensing and rights can be pulled, and so on.

Physical + personal backups is probably the best bet.

>26
>Zoomer
oh he's retarded.

I'm somewhat paranoid of my HDDs dying which is why I want to burn my anime collection on DVDs.

Haha edgy, you must get like 13 boobs and 7 vaginas.

That's a good point. Didn't they patch out half of GTA4's soundtrack last spring?

Bitch to be you right no-
Oh FUCK mine is doing it too.

Owning shit is for schmucks. Live a minimalist life style anons. Its the way to peace of mind.

Burnable DVDs/CDs use heat to change the color of a dye. They work ok but won't last anywhere near as long as a properly pressed CD with actual pits.

Where do you see yourself and your vidya in 20 years, Yea Forums?
What will you do when your old consoles fail and arent made anymore?
When your internal batteries die, your hard drives fail, and your discs rot?
When console companies give up pretending about backwards compatibility?

Attached: 1551285877952.jpg (960x960, 92K)

who tf cares if your pantytheft hentai collection gets deleted literally lmao @ ur life incel

swamp livin.

This is why piracy is a necessity.

That is because of digital distribution though, being able to release an unfinished or unplayable game because they can patch it through some platform later is one of the main reasons digital distribution is still being pushed so hard. Why financially reward that cancerous practice? Boycott any game that doesn't have the entire playable game on the physical media. I play on PC so I pirate now, fuck paying for a download.

I think burnable archival dvds should last for decades.

Who cares nigga it's kideo games. Download the ROMs.

The only way disc rot can happen is if you're a simian who stores you discs in a moist environment/where water can get to them.

I have early PS1 games that are still in top condition. Played some Crash 1 last night in fact.
Are GC discs just bad? That doesn't look like your typical disc rot either.

>electrocuted
by four AA batteries you fucking faggot?

Fake news. The metallic surface inside of the disc will reflect the rays.

By that, I mean, if you paid for it in the past. Download it, and if it's no longer on any online stores. Download it.

I'm buying a new PC to play old gamecube games. Console was the tits.

I think the whole PT thing is a great example of this. But even the idea of something like Spotify losing, say, a major record label would fuck over a ton of people and block out a ton of music. Which is why just owning the CDs is nice. You don't run these companies and you have no say in what happens to them. Don't be a victim.

Man Blu-rays and HD DVDs are rotting FAST. In a few years all those physical copies of PS3/360 games will be useless. A lot probably already are.

Attached: gpiq7dm2oe8y[1].jpg (1200x953, 355K)

Stuff I burned in the early-mid 2000s don't work anymore.

>Man Blu-rays and HD DVDs are rotting FAST
The disc there that is rotting has a crack in it. That's why.

Did you burn it on normal dvds?

>I really OWN my games, stupid digital consumer!

Sitting over here lmao'ing with my steam library.

>Gabe dies/retires, most likely within the next 5 years.
>Gabes controlling share of Valve is sold to chinks or EA
>Literally overnight your Steam library is now an Origin/Tencent library, if it still exists at all.
kek

yeah it was hillarious watching Yea Forums sperg when rockstar patched out the music from grand theft auto san andres on steam

Dude... The label is the thin silicon layer the data is etched into. Most of the disc is just a layer of plastic. How the fuck old are you?

No one remembers PT when they defend digital games.

i forget what its called, but there's this vault in northern Norway, that has a bunch of CD/DVD/Vinyl/Floppy Disc media, etched into clay tablets. They have millions of copies of shit. Anyone remember the name of it? Some billionaire made it in case we lose all disc based media forever or if Apocolypse happens and we don't have electronics, so we can retain the knowledge.

Weird only my disc 2 is chipping and excuse the garbage quality it's not a crack just a shitty android.

Attached: guessilldie.jpg (4032x3024, 3.28M)

>Dude... The label is the thin silicon layer the data is etched into

This is incorrect. Data aren't etched into silicon in optical discs, either.

Nobody is talking about consoles when they defend digital games, ever. Consoles are hardware DRM.

>Everybody loses
It doesn 't matter, then.

Reminder that pirates are the good guys whilst your good goy overlords sell you dying physical media and hardware and lock digital purchases to servers they can switch off at any time and snatch away your collections.

Attached: savesgaming.png (297x337, 127K)

>storing your discs in a bucket of acid

lmao'ing at you paid digital distribution drones with all my pirated media. I don't like financially rewarding the tactic that killed game and I don't like communism (Karl Marx' labor theory of value) so I'm not willing to pay for a download
You can't take care of your shit, how is that the blu-rays fault? Using your logic, the shirt I'm wearing is unreliable because I can cut it with a pair of scissors. Blu-rays should last even longer than CDs. I have all my important data that I don't want to lose backed up on M-disc.

>Trying to act like a moralfag
>Muh gommunism
You act exactly like a nigger, user.

Based blackbeard.

>Have a copy of TTS
>Its been stored in an attic for 5+ years

It's kill isn't it?

Paying for a download is communist, see Karl Marx' labor theory of value. Makes sense that Valve is the one popularized it considering Gabe is a jew

>You all fell for the digital vs. physical meme
You FOOLS. The true goal is PRESERVATION. No matter what medium. Any game that isn't preserved both physically and digitally is doomed to disappear forever.

Attached: UnimportantEmptyDwarfmongoose-mobile.jpg (300x400, 10K)

The technology won't be forgotten as such, there's a big enough niche for enthusiasts to construct and most likely sell converters. TVs/monitors becoming incompatible should be the least of peoples worries.

Unless the truly 100% authentic 90s CRT experience is an important factor, I guess.

>we have 5000 year old stone tablets
>1000 year old books
>discs start rotting in around 20-30 years
It's probably for the best.

>Emulators aren't laggy

Yes they are and to anyone who grew up playing these games it is immediately noticeable. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise unless they just have terrible senses.

A stone tablet only holds a few KB of data though.

you're either using a shitty emulator or have a shitty computer

define laggy

>A stone tablet only holds a few KB of data though.
Then we'd best get started backing everything up, we've got a lot of work to do.

More specifically the difference between a millenial and a Gen Zer is their experience with 9/11. If you can recount exactly what you were up to when it took place, you're a millenial. If you can't remember, you're apart of Gen Z.

Or I just have better senses. We aren't all made the same. After all I'm not the idiot who sold his games.

>projection

well? are you going to define laggy or just pretend to be a superhuman compared to uncountable other people

The LABEL? Dude, it reads data on the bottom side of the disc. Where all the 0s and 1s are. Are 0s and 1s on the label part of the disc? No. There are things as double sided discs though.

fpbp

you probably didnt read the thread. Nearly all copies of MGS Twin Snakes have a factory defect and most will have the label start to peel off. No there isn't much you can do about it, just be sure to keep the game properly stored and be careful when handling the discs themselves.

Yeah, I got my collections in great shape, I am not an idiot who lets the discs in humid places. Maybe is why those others have the trouble of their discs failing.

Nintendo quality

people that suffer this kind of problem are probably the same retards that have their controllers or handhelds broken and fucked

Jesus christ dude seriously? I.can.feel.the.latency.

Now read it word for word... very slowly if it will help you.

If there's more latency than there was before, there's something wrong with your setup. You can even get less latency than real hardware now with stuff like Retroarch runahead.

What kind of latency? are the frames stuttering? input lag? tearing? Superhuman autism causing extreme angst?

They are. The Vita and Switch already uses them. I bet the next generation will either be fully digital or go to a cheaper cartridge medium.

Why would I be angry? I own the games you have to steal. Projecting much user? Something going on you want to share? I'll listen.

Those who are apes live in a jungle.

>cheaper cartridge medium
correct me if I'm wrong but aren't cartridges more expensive than discs manufacturing-wise?

that's not angst bro. still waiting on what you perceive as latency. for all i know you're using a bluetooth controller that drops inputs because you sit too far away from the receiver

Learn to repair stuff. By the time it becomes a problem there'll be fifteen other ways to run the games on the original hardware, or ways to easily repair / mitigate common problems. I'm not too worried. I am worried about CRTs though.

More expensive to start out but the pricing gets better the bigger the cart.

I dont like collecting physical. Digital backups are better in every way. People keep talking some doomsday scenario where your digital backups on servers will vanish. My argument to that is that if my fucking backups and all torrent sites vanish or the servers blew up then you have more things to worry about then some video games. Physical media is a pain to pack up and move and they make you look like a manchild to women. Collect books instead and have barely any video game shit around and you have a more aesthetically pleasing hone.

this but unironically
fbf
based
*treahd

>2119-100
>He doesn't keep his vidya collection copied to M discs that are kept in a secret underground vault shielded from NBC and EMP attacks along with a small private army to keep it safe
When the apocalypse hits I'll playing all kinds of cool vidya while you losers will have to play with sticks and rocks lmao.

Attached: 1535832155799.jpg (540x720, 33K)

piracy is always the answer. I don't use a digital middleman.

Attached: Devilish_4a1cb5_6238404.jpg (470x595, 81K)

>it’s current year and tech illiterates still can’t figure out how to make dumps and backups
Fuck off, come back when you’re old enough to post.

What is this on my Chrono Cross discs? Manufacturing defect? Early disc rot?

They md5sum fine right now

Attached: IMG_20190310_170821505_HDR.jpg (4160x3120, 2.37M)

Deep. Born in 91 and I remember clearly.

What if I remember sitting in kindergarten class watching it on tv? Does that still count?

not everyone has a BBA and PSO ep 1&2 (non plus) to do backups, but I think there is a new backup method now, can't recall if it still needs a BBA

Or you could make things easier and use a Wii.

good point. I didn't even think about that

My Smash 4 disc started having light shine through the label from the other side of the disc and eventually stopped working. Splatoon started showing signs of it too but never had any disc read errors. First time I saw that happen to a disc I own.

SSDs don't last forever either. They are actually a pretty bad choice for long term storage.

They tend to degrade if they aren't powered on somewhat regularly, its not just the amount of "writes" that degrades them.

What a cringe post.

I just checked my copy of this and its pristine

The most retarded thing I've read on Yea Forums today, congrats.

How do you usually clean scratched up disks, Yea Forums?

I assume these people either smoke in their home or let sunlight touch the cases. All my discs are fine.

It's really hard to get a photo of this

It's disc rot isn't it

Attached: 324A3030.jpg (2000x1335, 353K)

Is 95 boomer or zoomer? I remember local multiplayer and not many games having online.

95 and up is zoomer

Like.... Tears.... In rain

Attached: 284026AE-C354-4CF2-90E7-C16C74F34967.png (1157x865, 1.2M)

>mines
Fuck off nigger

Fuck, I don’t want to be a zoomer, I don’t even like online games.

Enjoy your cracking dry items. Do it with shoes, your soles will crumble apart the day you wear them again.

>engaging in capitalism is communist

Attached: 1538950730563.jpg (2917x2083, 822K)

One way to avoid this is to buy the Japanese versions of games, which are typically manufactured in Japan. It irritates me to no end that games on optical disc in the U.S. are typically manufactured in shit holes like Mexico. If you even get a chance, examine a game disc manufactured in Japan and compare it with one manufactured in Mexico. Astonishingly, there is a difference you can easily see with the naked eye.

What the fuck do people do in their homes?
My old discs from the 90's are still perfectly fine.

are xbox discs fucked if they have a brownish tint to the back of them now? I have some that work no problem but then stuff like my copy of vice city that looks fine but won't boot.

>watching Yea Forums sperg when rockstar patched out the music from grand theft auto san andres on steam
it was modded back in within hours.
same with vice city and 4.

Attached: 1539251900346.jpg (634x693, 63K)

>Original xbox was made like a fucking computer
>made to last
>endless memory space so you can play all the games made for that console
>easy to use without any online drm like the one or 360
>theres a fucking clock battery added on top of it that kills the motherboard in 7 years after production

Attached: FEED ME CHECHENS.jpg (886x591, 153K)

This might be off topic but it got me thinking. When I was young gaming was still relatively new. I started during gen 5 with the ps1. A lot of the games I played back then are considered classics now, but at the time it was just shit I was playing. Of course I also used to play games that were considered classics back then too, older Mario games for example. Realistically will these games die off soon? I mean consider how many games come out per year, how much the industry has changed, the fact that unlike a movie or book a video game is a more time consuming investment, coupled with the fact that some of these games are harder or don’t have the QOL improvements most modern games have, will anyone be playing shit like Dino Crisis in 10 years? Then take into account how most games are unavailable through official means unlike how easily available movies and books are. It’s sad to think about how we don’t really have a way to keep these things alive. People still watch The Godfather and read literature from hundreds of years ago, but what asshole is gonna play Kirby nightmare in dreamland today, let alone in 25 years.

The disc art is paper-based and will disintegrate if exposed to humidity for prolonged periods. It's a problem if you're serious as a collector. People here will try to tell you that the data itself rots but they're just memeing you.

I had this happen with breaking bad and lotr blurays but never with ps3 games.
Some manufacturers like Sony cheaped out.
Glad optical media is dead who wasn't to fuck around with piddly 50-100gb blurays when 5gb rips and fitgirl repacks shit over everything

my ps1 discs from the 90s are all fine aside from the scratches because i was a dumb 5 year old kid

I can’t understand why faggots like you want to not own shit.

>mines

HOOTY HOO ooga booga

Because we don't own reprints of discs moron you don't own anything you just buy a copy with limitations.
Also waiting for blu rays to load takes forever and 50-100gb per side per disc is a limiting factor.
Plus 4k hdr uhd support on pc is a absolute joke

some people keep track of if games have patches and if they're necessary to know what games are worth buying for a complete offline experience. ports of games from previous generations are usually a safe bet.

>buy digital game
>say word
>money stolen
>buy physical game
>say word
>account banished but you can make a new one and still play the game

Attached: 9fa8a9c6483cfe7cfa21c7ac39e30234.jpg (357x434, 36K)

vita and switch also have serious issues with games being too large to affordably manufacture, so i think rather than switching to cartridges for physical games, consoles with likely switch to digital distribution only

Stop collecting games, everything will rot away with time, but the only thing that wont is friendship, love and your hard work towards your dreams.
So have fun, use your money to ask that girl out. Go watch some movie with her, maybe Captain Marvel or some generic shit like that. Play games, but not because you want a big collection, but because you want a memorable experience.
Enjoy life.

Attached: 1550623105725.png (1280x888, 1.37M)

360 is fortunately pretty easy to update games offline for. a lot of updates aren't dumped but most popular games' are, and you can just download them and copy them to USB storage to run.

this. twin snakes was the first of many defecations on the series

your physical games are also legally rented, special ed. crack your steam games and burn them to discs, you'll own them just as much.

Disc rot is a meme. The labels themselves might degrade, but your games will be fine.

even without a wii, if you can launch swiss on your gamecube somehow, you can dump to an SD card with adapters that are just a few dollars.

Probably bitching about input lag, which is more likely a product of the monitor or controller than the actual method you use to play the game.
Emulation isn't perfect but you honestly can't expect people to shell out for every game they want to play that probably hasn't been in print for over a decade.

Meanwhile carts last forever as long as you replace the battery and keep them in good environments. Ordered a copy of Chrono Trigger for SNES a few days ago. I'm doing a battery holder mod on another few games I have.

>SD adapters
nice. that's amazing.

I personally find emulation to work perfectly fine on just about everything, a few games are the exception, but not the rule. honestly at this point the only real gripe I have is newer emulators need to compile shaders, which is an unfortunate necessity. But knowing that it will only lag the first time, im patient about it