Why don't controllers have pressure sensitive buttons anymore?

Why don't controllers have pressure sensitive buttons anymore?

Attached: PS2 Controller.jpg (768x512, 51K)

they sucked to use in mgs2 and 3

The only thing that sucks is you suckin on big peepee's. MGS is the main reason why pressure sensitive buttons are good

"release the button quickly to fire and slowly to not fire." genius

People would rather have gimmicky features like touchpad or rumble on shoulderpads.
Also the feature is lost on multiplats where another platform doesn't have pressure sensitivity and they either have to drop the planned feature using it or come up with some other way to implement it.

it's a shitty gimmick that pretty much ruined any chance of BC

That's not how it works dumbass. It's "pressure" sensitive, do you not know what the word pressure means? The gun only fires when you put full pressure on the button, like an actual trigger.

It was cool/useful, but objectively speaking, no devs fucking used it aside from a couple. That's literally it. Not much else to say.

Idk, with platformers and racing games (before analog triggers were a thing), pressure sensitive buttons were pretty much mandatory.

Sort of related, I was impressed in Destiny 1 that the hammer for revolvers matched how much you squeeze the trigger on the controller until it's fully pressed.

These are the only games I remember them actually doing much with it. Kojima's pretty good with system gimmicks and shit.

that's how automatics work (and it's also unreliable and annoying), pistols and the tranq gun work the way i described

No one fucking uses them. If you want to do an action you hold that fucker down. No one does a "half-press".

Driver - Parallel Lines used them for driving.

No they don't. What version of the game did you play? You can bring up any gun with a half-press of the button and lower it without shooting.
Every gun works the same on the ps2 and ps3 version.

Gran Turismo 3 used it too but yeah almost nothing else
It was a novel idea but you could hardly tell the difference

>No one does a "half-press"
I do in games like Jak and Daxter when I wanna do a slight short jump, and like I said racers and games like GTA used pressure sensitive to control acceleration before analog triggers were a thing.

What are you talking about?

Mad Maestro and The Bouncer were built around it.

He's asking why controllers don't have pressure-sensitive buttons anymore.

Scram zoomer

>port MGS2 to PS3
>some of the VR missions require holdups (aim without shooting)
>can't fucking doit with the ps3 controller

Attached: poppingout.gif (688x382, 615K)

>aim without shooting
>can't fucking doit with the ps3 controller
You can though, unless you're an oaf with ham hands. I've played through 2 and 3 multiple times on the ps3 remaster and had not problem holding people up without shooting.
Just be gentle user.

Only that you're wrong and the PS3 controller has pressure sensitive buttons. Maybe you are talking about the awful 360 version.

because they suck and barely any games used them

It's "possible" but pain in the ass
talking mainly about the "Virtually Impossible" trophy

platformers existed for a long time before DS2 and none of them use triggers that way regardless. to begin with it's difficult for users to gauge how much or how little they're pressing a button as the stroke is too shallow

Like I said, it's not a problem if you don't have ham hands.
Be gentle with the rabbits, Lenny.

>platformers existed for a long time before DS2 and none of them use triggers
True, but that's not to say that pressure triggers didn't improve the genre (they did, massively)
>to begin with it's difficult for users to gauge how much or how little they're pressing a button as the stroke is too shallow
Maybe if you're a simpleton

explain how platformers benefited from triggers
>Maybe if you're a simpleton
no, you're the one swallowing a placebo

Being able to control the height at which you're jumping is pretty nice

and which platformers use the trigger for that? i tried google and the only hits that came back were about smash bros.
jump height for a standard platformer can be controlled to some degree by polling, which has been done since mario on NES. did you even own anything before a PS2, zoomer?

I'm not going to lie. I didn't even notice they took them away.

>and which platformers use the trigger for that? i tried google and the only hits that came back were about smash bros
Ha and yet you call me the zoomer?
Also you are fucking retarded, we are talking specifically about platformers on ps2, which it sounds like you didn't even own one. I already said Jak and Daxter is a prime example. Along with the Ratchet and Clank games and the newer Crash Bandicoots.

Too awkward to do an analog input on a button that barely has any other perceivable states than "not pressed" and "pressed", on something like a modern analog trigger you can clearly feel the different states of the trigger as you push it down gently and it's easy to half-press so that's where pressure sensitive makes sense.

>can be controlled to some degree by polling
Not that guy but I much prefer "pressure sensitive" jumping compared to holding the button down

When did they?

I wish they'd stuck around and triggers had never become popular.

Before you were born

because hardly any games used them, which is probably why they stopped.