It was actually a very good and well made game

It was actually a very good and well made game

Attached: breath_of_the_wild_cover.jpg (350x471, 46K)

Yes it was.

its been 2 years stfu already faggot cunt

Well it was made by Monolith so duh.

well if you are feeling the necessity to say this,it probably wasnt

>Ubishit games are okay when Nintendo does it

>empty world
>four tiny dungeons
>only content aside from dungeons is hundreds of scattered shrines that are all exceedingly repetitive
>three different enemy types, all killed the same way
Wasn't for me

It is.

Did you beat it user?

Objectively true

It has significant downfalls if you are a player who enjoys extrinsic rewards.

It's a solid 7/10.

Everyone who is spouting the ubishit meme hasn't played the game. It has flaws yes, as you notice the lack of enemy variety and the world is a tad too big for its own good but the towers were great.

>Ubisoft, EA, Rockstar, etc. have been making open world games for a decade or even longer
>genre is stagnating
>Nintendo shows up
>having no background in AAA 3D open world development, they decide on a whim "Here, let me try that"
>right off the bat, Nintendo make the best open world game ever made on their very first attempt using a fucking toaster.

This will never not be hilarious.

Attached: 1538802026609.jpg (640x640, 126K)

I wouldn't call it "very good". It's "good" and a step in the right direction, but it has way too many small issues that the whole game suffers as a result.
>few, uninteresting rewards for anything you do (spirit orbs, bag space and temporary weapons are the most interesting items you'll find past the plateau)
>koroks as a secondary world filler
>world way too big for its own content
>all shrines look the same and no difficulty curve exists among them (your 5th shrine can be harder than your 120th)
>way too many bag slots for meals
>climbing isn't implemented well (reaching high areas isn't rewarding when you can just hold forward into the mountainside)
>way, way too few enemy types and the three most prominent are all humanoid
>very washed out visuals

I'd love to see Nintendo try this formula again instead of scrapping it entirely, but they have a lot of issues to tackle before I'll deem their attempt at open world "very good".

>I'd love to see Nintendo try this formula again instead of scrapping it entirely

I'm pretty sure that another "open air" zelda is confirmed by Aonuma. They hired new dungeon designers too so I'm keeping my hopes up if they can strike a good balance with content. Exploring was super fun in botw but what if you got lost in lost woods and stumbled upon forest temple or something? That would make the experience more enjoyable when there's really big discoveries to be made

>It was actually a very good and well made game

Its an exceptional gaming experience and it makes a complete mockery of every other AAA developer making these types of games on high-end hardware.

Yes Nintendo are quite good at making video games. Can we please move on now?

Actually Monolith soft did most of legwork.

>Monolith soft did most of legwork

No Monolith did the donkey work. They were brought on board to execute Nintendo's design mandate. Thats why Monolith haven't yet produced an open world game as good as BotW.

Are you aware that XB2 was in development around same time as BOTW? And they had to outsource because 90% of staff was working on it?

Attached: 1548429793447.png (409x445, 231K)

I'm playing through it for the first time. It's an enjoyable game so far but not the perfect masterpiece people have been saying it is. If I hope they can iron out the flaws for the next release

And? Nintendo OWN them.

>Weapon deterioration

False.

>everyday the same OP
>everyday the same replies.

Is this the curse of Yea Forums where you must act exactly the same after midnight everyday? Which posts like these we could train an ai to defend and attack botw.

Actual criticism:
>four tiny dungeons
>shrines are repetitive
>not enough different enemy types
>way too many bag slots for meals
Largely subjective:
>world is too big
>visuals are too washed out
>koroks are filler
Flat-out bullshit:
>world is empty
>only content aside from dungeons is shrines
>climbing isn't implemented well
>spirit orbs, bag space and temporary weapons are the most interesting items you'll find past the plateau
Learn the difference folks, it just might save you from another 500-reply shitpost thread.

I just ordered it today, it is my first Zelda game what am I in for? How many hours of content does the game have, is it a game you can just screw around on for hundreds of hours like GTA and skyrim etc?

My only advice is to avoid becoming too powerful too quickly (go for more stamina upgrades over hearts, don't rush to upgrade your armor, don't rush to the Master Sword, etc.). Now stop and leave the thread. The less you know the better.

and water is wet and your mom is a whore

>spirit orbs, bag space and temporary weapons are the most interesting items you'll find past the plateau
He's partially correct, you can find different arrow types and unique armor sets although the amount of armor types is limited

WTF is it another Nintendo shit made for kids that is so easy it is unenjoyable?

Wrong. Get good.

Attached: 1544483851605.png (351x373, 85K)

I've been playing it for about 16 hours so far. It plays somewhat like an immersive sim where you're given a set of tools and an objective and can use those tools to complete the objective in many ways
it would have been better if you could repair weapons and they deteriorated slower, You's think the steel weapons were made of cardboard with how quickly they break, it gives system shock 2s weapon degradation a run for it's money

No, the first half of the entire game is actually pretty hard but you eventually reach a point where you become ridiculously overpowered.

>it is my first Zelda game what am I in for?
Its easily the best adventure game in years on any system.

>How many hours of content does the game have?
Depends on what you want to do. The game doesn't hold your hand. You get one object; save the princess in the castle and beat the bad guy. The whole game is about you figuring out how to do that all on your own. So the game can last 1 hour or 200 hours. Its up to you.

>Is it a game you can just screw around on for hundreds of hours like GTA and skyrim etc?

Yes. Yes it is.

Attached: 1537176985016m.jpg (1024x576, 70K)

Try exploring Hyrule castle early on - it's one the most fun experiences I had in a videogame. Follow the quest to second "big" village if you want to start unlocking upgrades for your ipad. Be creative in enemy encounters because the weapons are made of glass - or make attack up +3 elixirs to compensate. Enjoy, user.

>Link's Playground with Interesting Physics
It's well made, yes, but I can't agree with the core design choices.

Without dungeons and other content that grow in difficulty and complexity and without being able to gain new critical abilities this game goes from honest 10/10 to stale way to quickly.

I hope the sequel takes a more Metroid-vania-y approach to the world, where certain items can be found in certain places that make other areas more accessible
it would be tough to pull off but say there were like 4 items that would allow you to explore a mountainous area, a grappling hook, hookshot, climbing claws, and a deku leaf
and depending on which one you find first you'll have a different experience with trying to get around the area
permanent equipment upgrades were something I really missed in BOTW

>Without dungeons
The game has 8, 10 if you include DLC.

I highly doubt it is better than Gta 5 or Skyrim, I can get thousands of hours out of those games easily

BotW had the second most playtime of all Switch games in 2018, right behind Fortnite. Strange for a stale game a year after release, right?

BotW is simply better designed and a lot more fun.

>I hope the sequel takes a more Metroid-vania-y approach to the world, where certain items can be found in certain places that make other areas more accessible

I honestly hope they don't. Nintendo pioneered that type lock-n-key game design and now its been run into the ground by everyone for 30 years, including Nintendo's own games.

Its actually kinda lazy and insulting. You think you're making a progressional milestone but its really just a door with a lock. Its childish.

BotW is on the rightr track. Say for example, you find yourself in a cold region, in regular games you would be forced to backtrack until you find or gain a particular item which will let you move forward. But in BotW you can figure it out on your own with your resources and wits. Its a far more mature, rewarding and emergent experience.

Nobody who isn't a contrarian or a butthurt Ocaria loving nostalgiafag would argue with you, OP.

I enjoyed it a lot. But there were so many things I wish it had that it lacked. Large dungeons, bosses, fairy sidekick, more character stories etc even the chest opening ritual is gone.

Other than bosses, all of that stuff is bad.

>The game has 8, 10 if you include DLC.
Not him but I can only think of the four beasts, Hyrule castle and the DLC dungeon. What are the rest?

keywords: more accessible
the ideal situation would allow players to persist if they were creative enough, but at the same time reward them for having visited other areas, and even reward them for braving the current area by giving them an item that will help them push into another region
not giving a player all the tools for finding all the secrets right away would encourage them to give these other areas another go-over to see if there are any ways to use their new tools creatively
and no I don't believe that backtracking would be an issue if the movement and combat are satisfying and the enemy variety is shaken up between visits

Great Plateau
Yiga Hideout
Eventide Island
Trial of the Sword

I would argue that it is the best and most well made game.

If I included armor as one of the few interesting items you can find past the plateau, which tier of criticism would you move my statement to?
How come noting the repetitiveness of the shrines is "actual criticism" but the world being empty is not? Aren't both subjective and "flat-out bullshit" unless the only other game you've played is Minecraft in a superflat world?
People don't mean the literal definition of "empty". At least I don't. It has more to do with the density of interesting things to find. There are tons of areas in BotW the size of previous games' Hyrule Fields with literally nothing in them except for grass and maybe brushes.

>There are tons of areas in BotW the size of previous games' Hyrule Fields with literally nothing in them except for grass and maybe brushes.

Except Hyrule Field in other games is just a flat plane and you're literally boxed in with nowhere to go except very specific exits. Everything you do can be predicted.

>Except Hyrule Field in other games is just a flat plane and you're literally boxed in with nowhere to go except very specific exits. Everything you do can be predicted.
I don't see how this excuses BotW's empty areas. The fact that you can put down a log and start a fire with an updraft so that you can leave the empty area?

It was an average game, which means IT'S THE GREATEST GAME EVER MADE BY ALL OF MANKIND FOREVER because it has Zelda on it.

>If I included armor as one of the few interesting items you can find past the plateau, which tier of criticism would you move my statement to?
Still bullshit because there is still shit like everything in the champion powers, everything in Kilton's shop, the Hylian shield, all the horse-related shit (Horse God, Lord of the Mountain, Ganon's horse, Zelda's horse, horse gear), the upgrades for runes, the ancient gear 'crafting', cooking and monster materials and a bunch of other shit I can't list off the top of my head.
>How come noting the repetitiveness of the shrines is "actual criticism" but the world being empty is not?
Because shrines have the same aesthetic and music. The world is very dense - and the burden of proof is extremely against you on that. Your definition of 'empty' can be anything you choose to be - you could argue it's empty if there wasn't a fully fledged unique dungeon at the peak of every mountain.

That doesn't make any sense because it's the first good non-portable Zelda game since 1991.

>implying
WW and TP have 96 on metacritic, and SS has 93.

I don't see how that makes my point incorrect.
Also, it's still technically portable, so, hey, there you go.

I don't think the game is as 'empty' people would believe. Having played the game at great length, its impossible to go more than 20 or 30 seconds in any direction without finding something or seeing something of interest in the distance - whether its enemy camps, npcs being attacked, shrines, koroks, mini-boss battles or whatever, there's always something carefully placed to pull your attention. And the point about verticality is that the simple process of navigating through the world is more engaging and involved than other Zelda games. You don't feel boxed in. It feels like a real world you can explore. And the various dynamic weather systems also feed into how you explore.

There needs to be space and breathing room between everything or else it would just feel ridiculous.

Ghostbusters 2006 has a 74% on RT, what's your point?
Your point was that every Zelda game is "the greatest game ever made etc etc" or least you're insinuating that others think that way. In reality, Zelda is a very divisive series with a very divided fan base. In fact, most of the people who hate BotW are, in fact, Zelda fans. Stupid nostalgiafag Zelda fans, but still Zelda fans.

I'm not trying to make a sweeping statement about all Zelda games, I'm just saying it's a pretty average open world action game that gets hyped as a masterpiece solely because it's a Zelda game. Not every Zelda game gets hyped like that, I'm just saying that's why this one is. Nothing about it is especially standout or special.

People like Zelda for different reasons. Its impossible for Nintendo to make just ONE Zelda game which will satisfy everyone.

Explorefags love BotW.
Dungeonfags hate it.

Why can't people just agree that BotW is a good game with flaws, just like almost every other good game? It's always consolewarriors who say the game is shit or drones who think it's the best game ever made

I love exploring and don't love BotW. Exploring in BotW feels like shit since almost everything you find is uninteresting and unrewarding. Once you realize you'll only find koroks, shrines and bad fetch quests, the motivation to explore is gone

>this series is overrated
>but only when it fits my narrative
Lmao

>I'm just saying it's a pretty average open world action game that gets hyped as a masterpiece solely because it's a Zelda game

Actually mainline Mario and Zelda games get scrutinised far more than others because people always expect each game to be a genre-definimg masterpiece.

This. But I really wish they went all out for the map. Though I can understand it should stay Zelda, and not become a high fantasy setting. But Zora's domain was fantastic, from the geography to the architecture, it screams Monolith all over. I wish all areas were this well crafted. I'm wondering how Nintendo will manage, if Monolith aren't there for the next BotW-like Zelda

Attached: Kinoblade 2.jpg (2132x1200, 1.28M)

God dammit, I'm not saying Zelda isn't overrated as fuck, I'm saying that BOTW is lauded as a masterpiece. Other games are also overrated, but usually to lesser degrees.

I want you to read your own post, Read it reeeeaaaal slowly. I wanna make sure we're on the same page here.

But there are flaws. Huge flaws even, that I expect Nintendo to fix in their next game. Can't be perfect on first try, after all. But even with all those flaws, it's still better than the competition. It's really telling.

>it's still better than the competition
Wrong. The Witcher 3 is better than BotW