Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamer.com/1997-horror-shooter-blood-is-coming-back/
nukeykt.retrohost.net
youtube.com/watch?v=UwHRPVrZVgM
twitter.com/ProdeusGame/status/1071853679672733697
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why not use a newer engine

?
Last Darkplaces update was in 2014 and this is a custom version.

Looks like quake engine

Here's my (shit) opinion on all these "90s" style shooters like Dusk Ion Maiden etc., i like the idea of giving us something that resembles what we loved but when i a baby user i always envisioned "Woah imagine the next Unreal or Quake in the future they're gonna look amazing!!" if only i had known that dated pixelated graphics and making the same game over and over would become a legit selling point for some people...
These games are fun but they don't have a single original bone in their bodies it's all "ah ah dude remember the 90s where you go in hell and you kill the evil bad dudes and cultists and there's the chaingun, the railgun, the supershotgun and all that shit"
Like Jesus is it possible to come up with something that's actually original while still maintaing the style of an oldschool shooter?

>Woah imagine the next Unreal or Quake in the future they're gonna look amazing
I used to be that guy until the future happened

>Wraith AND Ion Maiden
2019 finna be great.

Clearly haven't played the games. Clearly haven't even played any recent wads or paks for older games.

Get out of here zoomer.

3D Realms just announced that Wrath is going to have 3DFX support.

Attached: WRATH_3DFX.png (1920x1080, 2.63M)

>i always envisioned "Woah imagine the next Unreal or Quake in the future they're gonna look amazing!!"

You and me both, but then shooters ended up regressing in every aspect except visuals. There's a reason why people are coming around to ape 90's shit instead of cowadoody and what-have-you.

It's Wrath, not Wraith.

Cool, buth where's my Blood remaster?

pcgamer.com/1997-horror-shooter-blood-is-coming-back/

nukeykt.retrohost.net

Attached: image0.png (2048x2048, 756K)

Mostly its just 3d realms being lazy fucks.

But tbf. Trying to create something original is almost impossible nowaday, especially fps. They just used almost every cliche/cool ideas ever. Remember when every fps started doing “military” crap since ww2 games? They already ran out of ideas back then.

Honestly i'm sick of both, there's never an inbetween either you pander completely to casual modern military/console fags or completely to boomers
FPS games have come to a point where no one is ever going to take risks and create something original and with soul

t. actual zoomer trying to fit in

>time for another arena-like shooter that nobody but a bunch of autists will play
>said autists then will just go back to quake after a while
>thus "ARENA SHOOTER 20xx TOTALLY NOT QUAKE NUMBER 39821965823629349238628692586239842396829" will die again
You guys never learn, do you?
The future is Battle Royale.
Embrace it or perish like the dogs you are.

Attached: 1446182825772.jpg (600x598, 52K)

They'll update MP post-launch, so a Battle Royale mode is actually possible

>Wraith
>theets

What is wrong with you and what is a "theet"?

Battle Royale is a fad just like every other fad before it.

It's just the bait in case the thread doesn't work.

Darkplaces is quake dipshit

This genre is dead for over 20 years, give us a break to enjoy quake clones once again.
It's such a niche market, let us be happy.

Attached: i got sweats of steel.png (250x250, 69K)

>niche market

DOOM 2016 sold MILLIONS. Brutal Doom has been downloaded MILLIONS of times. There are more people playing single-player FPSes than you might realize.

There is literally no fucking point making game as ugly as this one in 2019. Back when Quake was made that was a compromise, not a free decision. That just looks ugly af.

>Doom'16
But that's not retro.

Yep, it's why I am interested in Doom Eternal and am skipping all these nostalgia projects.

And for Doom mods, it's still a niche thing.

Shhhh, the stone is sleeping

Attached: grave.jpg (383x301, 14K)

Yea Forums will complain about literally anything. Anyway, fuck you. This is the renaissance I've been waiting for. My favorite genre has been dragged through the mud for the past 18 years and now its getting what it deserves, but there you are, front and center, whining about one of the best changes in the industry.

Both games are based on the same fundamental - and incorrect - assumption, that communityfags leveldesign better, than they circlejerk.
Hint: they don't, a "loudmouth knowitall" doesn't equal either "expert", "authority" or "artist".

Or, you know, it's a sound idea to hire the most prominent modders of a particular community to make a game similar to the shit they've been making over the years.

Oh shit I'm sure Arcane Dimensions is pure circlejerk

Attached: arcane.jpg (620x465, 97K)

I haven't seen any of these "communityfags" act like "loudmouth knowitall". Maybe they were hired because they're actually good?

>>Metroidvania influences

Metroidvania invented the concept of hub levels

Attached: 1551554266133.png (644x573, 68K)

Yes, and?

> i always envisioned "Woah imagine the next Unreal or Quake in the future they're gonna look amazing!!" if only i had known that dated pixelated graphics
Why are you blaming these games for that? They are indie titltes. They don't have the money for high-fidelity graphics.

You should blame triple-A developers for making shitty FPS for the last 15 years

Attached: 1549216076277.png (454x453, 332K)

>Yes, and?
Hub level design was common in first-person shooters before the term 'metroidvania' was even coined.

community level designers are the experts/authorities.

no commercial FPS game has had good levels since half-life 2 episode 2

>no commercial FPS game has had good levels since half-life 2 episode 2

>half-life 2
>good level design

Attached: bEg6vDQGBxcgDfXjY3JnAXtRA_LVBGiV9iM-3OioTFg.jpg (1280x1024, 237K)

I expect Prodeus more.
youtube.com/watch?v=UwHRPVrZVgM

Notice how Hubs and Metroidvania are different statements in OP's copypasta

Brushbuilding is a lost art, though. No AAA dev can do it these days

They're fun and that's all that matters to me. For the time being, they're merely a stepping stone to greater games. I welcome more to be made. Less grafix and more satisfying, replayable gameplay- and more singleplayer for that matter- is all I request for now.

that's actually the sequence that i'm talking about since i specifically said epsiode 2

the antlion lair sequence there, that you posted a picture of--great job, because that's one of the single best, if not the best, paced sequence in FPS history.

No, they JUST engage in circlejerking and produce stuff only they value, and that has only very passing resemblance to those professional levels from those old commercial games, those communities are typically dedicated to.

Expect what, it to suck more?

>the best, paced sequence in FPS history.
So you play FPS for 'experiences' and 'sequences'?

Half-Life 2 level design is garbage. It's way too scripted and on rails.

95% of the HL-2 playtime consists of waves of combine soldiers (one of the most boring fps enemies in existence) predictably charging in

> Half-life 2 episode 2
> good levels
Thanks for the laugh user.

Attached: 1551540966697.jpg (330x330, 35K)

Why do the only exclusives PC gets look like they're from the 90's?

Attached: 1528638014332.gif (379x387, 71K)

Attached: fucking consoles.png (406x69, 12K)

>So you play FPS for 'experiences' and 'sequences'?

yeah i play video games for experiences for sure, what do you play them for, rote input/output? do you record yourself?

lets be honest here, youve never even played the golden era fps games and you hate on half-life because you think it makes you cool or seem knowledgable on Yea Forums. charades up when you are talking to a boomer though :(

Don't you love it when there's a retard like that tries to school all these hobbyist level designers who've been making maps for years for a game/genre they love and know by heart, and are (rightfully) praised for their work?

I think it looks good but is this going to be some early access shit like Dusk and Maiden?

My opinions based on what I've seen and read so far:
>the Metroidvania elements are an amazing idea, especially since we're supposedly also getting new abilities as well (hoping it will be similar to something like Jedi Knight)
>Sound design is fucking stellar
>Movement has to be verified, could honestly be clunky but I'm hoping for proper feeling controls
>Some weapons feel underpowered (is there a fucking reason to not use the teeth thing's secondary fire, aside from some Shambler-tier shenanigans?) unless you use the charge-up thing, this may also be a result of enemies' health not being scaled up properly
>Enemy design and animations seem a bit weak
>Save system is a pretty good idea, same with the other collectible weapon

I was also worried about the level design (especially after playing Ion Maiden, I can only cum so many times) at the beginning of the 11-minute gameplay video but then he quit the cave and entered the open area. I was like - "fuck, shouldn't be anything to worry about anymore". I'd say I'm hyped at the very least and cautiously optimistic.

Attached: 1536187124712.gif (275x206, 1.7M)

Good luck seeing anything with this ultra pixelated gore and monsters.

>especially after playing Ion Maiden

its possible to play ion maiden?

It has like four levels available right now.

Attached: Untitled.png (268x119, 44K)

Not confirmed for now, but it looks like the summer release is actually an early access

It's on GOG, if you don't feel like paying for a demo

The first campaign (three rather long and proper levels) and a teaser level for the new campaign (only one level but also rather long and with new added shit) have been released on Steam.

They should have pixel filter off option.
twitter.com/ProdeusGame/status/1071853679672733697

that isn't how Wrath works. There's no "pixel filter".

You probably have the most generic understanding of what good level design is

I'd rather not have an in between with older shooter and AAA trash.
Why the fuck would anyone want that? You don't need to compromise with those focus group made games to be innovative. Stop wanting to live on the shadow of that tumor, that's centrist talk.

Arcane Dimensions is pure trash by a fartsniffing hack who has like one and a half good maps, and those exact one and a half good maps are explicitly inspired by McGee's maps (which is surprising, since McGee wasn't even all that good a leveldesigner).
Knowing how map editor works doesn't mean having anything noteworthy to express through that editor. At best some of those cunts could take a role of a techical advisor or some kind of polisher working in conjunction with actual mappers purely in order to make shit look good.

>community level designers are the experts/authorities
at adhering to community standards, created by said community authorities.

Smell anything fishy, no?

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant by circlejerking.

Ah, you're that braindead faggot in the /vr/ Doom thread that thinks the level they showcased is trash because it's obviously a tutorial level. Nevermind then.
Also McGee being not even that good a level designer is lols.

>Arcane Dimensions is pure trash
We're reaching embarrassing levels of contrarianism.

Attached: 7893429823.png (441x344, 14K)

we're reaching the point where you should recognize and not give (You) to obvious troll posts.

>Stop wanting to live on the shadow
How fucking ironic

Okay, let's talk guns.
>lol lets add triple shotgun which lets you gib zombies without explosives or quad
>lol lets make shotguns non-hitscan (I know about the console command that reverts it back); what? they can't now be used for sniping on moving targets, which was a utility not covered by nailguns? can't hear you!
>lol let's introduce plasma rifle instead of thunderbolt too

The first two severely homogenize the overall gameplay, the first one destroying significance explosives had, the second making a choice between shotguns and nailguns purely a matter of personal preferences and whatever you happen to have ammo for.

I'm super excited user, 3Drealms is back, they're publishing period piece shooters, this is a great time to be into shooters. We've come home boys, at long last

the community decides what is good and what is not, that's for every game

just stop

figure out another way to get attention in your life dude. this will not last forever

Okay, so the games in question are effectively designed by the committee.
Not interested.
Next.

You sound like a little bitch who can't handle an ounce of criticism. Got anything to actually counter my arguments?

>CoUnTeR mY ArGuMeNtS

Attached: 16-spongebob-explainer.w700.h700.jpg (548x548, 94K)

The graphics are fine, I mean it's 3d but it's not ugly 3d like Dusk, I mean actually has a resemblance of style

Attached: LdJ4o88nev.jpg (650x650, 208K)

dusk looks so god awful

its like alone in the dark tier models...quake1 looked thrice as good as dusk

>quote

>cat_gags.jpeg

Looks like a bullshot

I am reaching embarrassing levels of having a personal taste and not considering my obligation to like whatever you, or SimonOC, or whoeverthefuck happens to either like or pretend to like.

It's alright Spud, we know Swampy Fogbottom touched you inappropriately.

I happen to think that your sense of humor sucks monkey's balls as well, by the way.

"Stop" using so "many" "quotes".