Thoughts on tactical role playing games Yea Forums?

Attached: ss_ad960fdca800ceccf4fbd9b40faec2ad2a5d4c2e.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 473K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E3AuEpT3KSM
youtube.com/watch?v=cwBZQNKeG5w
youtube.com/watch?v=BlP8cUlPwvw
youtube.com/watch?v=AfH3qsczpFI
youtube.com/watch?v=kB52ole0BgI
youtube.com/watch?v=fnHJtmygl4o
nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/
luis-guzman.com/downloads.html#OG
youtu.be/Vm4SRF4ppvg
gbc.zorbus.net/
youtu.be/oAdTAsWfmVg
youtu.be/yCvwiyEYHs0
youtu.be/9c3CmbYtT7E
youtu.be/tuy_ncoBhGM
youtube.com/watch?v=fZoTlcdMBx4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fire Emblem does it right, baby.

Octopath Traveller on the other hand is shit.

the best kind of turn-based games

Disgaea does it worst, as it's designed to be grinded to the point that tactics are pointless due to sheer digits.

By miles and miles my favorite kind of roleplaying game. I am never more engaged than when I think of not only what my characters are going to do, but also where the best position would be to do it from.

That being said I'm not particularly good AT them though. I tried one of the FFT hack mods about a year ago that promised to scale the enemies of the game to my level and I quickly realized that I wasn't exactly much to write home about performance-wise.

I'd love to see a game that sort of mixes tactical rpg with turn-based or semi-action rpg.

or something with large-scale army campaigns like ogre battle but more intense / realistic ish

Octopath isn't a T/SRPG. It's just an RPG.

SRPGs are fun
Does Yea Forums love Front Mission 3?

I presently playing Suikoden Tactics. It's pretty GOAT.

Attached: tactics.jpg (1491x1080, 830K)

>I don't know how Disgaea works
Grinding is literally a means to an end. If your party composition is solid, you will be able to destroy anything within a particular level range, and once you've figured out how to actual set up a proper level farm, you're set against enemies that oftentimes don't give a shit that you grinded to level 9999, especially in Disgaea 5.

bastard bonds is an underappreciated gem

Probably the best genre in video games to be quite fucking honest.

What's really making me all warm and fuzzy inside is how the PC gaming marked it picking up on these types of games too. I'm not trying to turn this into a console war thread (don't worry, I own a PS4 and a Switch too) but it feels really nice to play these games by mouse and keyboard.

Attached: 1545249265993.jpg (1280x720, 134K)

This. In my principle in Disgaaea is to never grind until I am defeated. Never grind until it is absolutely necessary. Part of the challenge is seeing how far you can get BETWEEN having to grind. Any idiot can overlevel.

>I'd love to see a game that sort of mixes tactical rpg with turn-based or semi-action rpg.
Like growlanser series?

I thought they were fun until I played Disgaea. It's like it tried to be as monotonous as possible with all the numbers and tables and pages upon pages of tutorials for all those pointless mechanics.

March of the Black Queen?

Xcom really was a nice diving-off point for western devs to get back into it. Mechanicus was an amazing game.

Attached: 1543529297413.webm (800x450, 2.82M)

yes, but also, something like myth II, but with an rpg flavor. or the tactics of myth II incorporated into an rpg.

FM3 is alright but it's objectively the weakest mainline Front Mission. 5 is a fucking masterpiece.

I would enjoy them a hell of a lot more if I wasn't mentally retarded

I tried that but I was turned off with the randumb gear and I dunno if the node options only makes sense if you're a 40Kfag unlike say FTL where you can get some idea of the risky or safe option.

I can't get over the way FM5 looks. It's not that it looks bad, it's just that the technology used to render the 3D models leaves such a massive ghosting after-image. I don't know how people are overlooking that.

youtube.com/watch?v=E3AuEpT3KSM

Attached: 53-BF43-137.jpg (600x340, 66K)

It's a bit different than what you described but have you tried Dominions? It's got huge battles and one of the most diverse selections of magic in vidya.

Attached: dominions.png (797x600, 336K)

I used to love them, pic related was my favorite. I lost interest with the genre over the years, though.

Any titles for the 3DS I should play?

Attached: 220px-Vandal_Hearts_Coverart.png (220x208, 97K)

I'm not heteroconfident enough to play it without blushing

Fucking this. I was excited to finally play a Disgaea, but holy shit it was an endless amount of tutorials, an absurd amount of ridiculous mechanics and infinite numbers. I liked the visuals and characters seemed enjoyable enough, but I couldn't put myself through it.

it's all right bro, it's got lots of tits too

I don't think the 3DS got that many. Stella Glow is pretty good if you liked the Luminous Arc series in DS.

It's not on 3DS, but did you play Vandal Hearts 2? It's very different from the first but just as great if not better.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but didn't that game get really fucking dark at one point? I remember a village being burned down and soldiers raping the women or something.

They announced a mobile port in Japan, but I wonder if they'll release in English and maybe hope for a translated Blaze Union ins't dead. Seriously amazing game even if I had to claw through it with guides for the moonspeak.

The wacky mechanics are great fun though
Throwing people is vital

I like it, but the story/ in between battles stuff is kinda shitty, especially on a replay

I've only played 3 but what I liked the most was ejecting other pilots and capturing their wangzers, any other one let you do that?

Vandal Hearts was my jam back in the day. One of the first games I got for the PS1 and I played it constantly. I played it again recently. It was great.

That was 2. 1's still pretty dark at times though but nearly that bad.

>Vandal Hearts 2
fuck simultaneous turns and fuck the cheating AI

>simultaneous turns
This is such a fucking cuntish idea. Either you HAVE to bait the AI (not hard, but not fun either) or you just have to accept that the nigger is going to cheat. Fuck this ruined 2 for me.

Attached: 1529841519567.jpg (400x779, 31K)

Thank you.

I tried it when it first came out and was turned off by the simultaneous movement mechanic. I'll give it another shot, thanks.

There's plenty of civilian massacres but no rape that I remember.

>game where you couldn't git gud

Attached: 1546284987853.jpg (500x500, 68K)

Same. After fapping to Etna for so many years I finally had a chance to play the game she was from, but trying to memorize all those different explanations was just a chore. I could've forced myself to continue but what's the point if I have to do that.
I can still whack it to Etna though.

Tried this game way back on release when it came out for GBA, got absolutely buttfucked by it. So many goddamn systems and you don't even fully recover between fights unless you sacrifice items that you'll never get back? C h r i s t. It's a cool game, but fucking ludicrously hard.

>There's plenty of civilian massacres but no rape that I remember.

Man fuck the Crimson Guard.

Etna's not even the best fapbait in the series

Has my wife in it.

Attached: 1543105387517.jpg (800x1131, 71K)

I love them.

Tell me more.

Metal gear acid. Best shit out there

How well do Disgaea 3 and 4 emulate?

I thought Flames of Judgement was okay.

Definitely the worst of the PS catalog

Was my favorite genre at some point. But I grew to hate it. Most of them, especially nowadays, play far too straightforward. Meh.

Pretty much perfectly. I beat 3 on RPCS3 and noticed only very minimal visual glitches.

I've been meaning to get around to Acid for years. I dont typically like card based combat, but Yggdra Union used cards and I love it. It probably lends itself better to the tactics genre

This game is so unplayable with a mkb, it's fucking saddening.

Is Wild Arms XF any good?

Agreed with everything in your post. Thankfully Etna will always be there.

True, but she's the entry point for everyone so she holds a special place in our dicks

The simultaneous movement is tricky to get the hang of but it's pretty satisfying once you figure out the intricacies.

>So many goddamn systems
Check out their newer game, Knight in the Nightmare's systems.

It's... interesting. Very few of the battles are "kill all enemies" and instead has meme-objectives of "go here and do this then this then exit through here". If that's your jam then it's alright.

The other really big weakness is that there is a VERY spesific class settup the game has in mind. If you don't have X class at level Y in a fight then you might as well go back to grind because you're not beating that stage without it.

KitN is such a clusterfuck of genres and mechanics that really shouldn't be mixed that it somehow works, against all odds.

This one is cool. It has big monsters.

Attached: ps1-brigandine-the-legend-of-forsena.jpg (500x500, 93K)

you only need to know like maybe 5 mechanics and the purpose of all the numbers is easy to get. How much of a dumbfuck do you need to be to stop playing the game for such a stupid reason lmao

Fond memories of this game. My brother was also obsessed with it.

Attached: Dark_Wizard_Cover.jpg (220x366, 27K)

>Atlus
Atlus was into some really weird shit huh?

>there are people on Yea Forums that genuinely believe their weeb shit is tactical and not just filler between low quality VN segments
>this opinion is held by the majority of Yea Forums now
What went wrong? BRs? Reddit? Neogaf?

Attached: x.gif (480x300, 194K)

Leonia > Norgard > New Almekia > Iscalio > Caerleon
Fuck magic.

Atlus would publish basically any and everything back in the PS1 era. It was kinda neat, though there was a fair amount of trash.

>Iscalio that low
I take it you played the Grand Edition?

Surprised no one mentioned the Ghost Recon game for 3DS. It's pretty straightforward as far as tactical RPGs go but it's a solid game overall.

Played Grand Edition? Lizard Kangz are amazing and Esgares having a proper story campaign is great too among other things.

Based. Carleon can eat a dick.

Wish there were more tactics and/or roleplaying in these games
Like if you had a game that was the invert of this, like instead of Fire Emblem there was a game where you actually had shit to do and were involved, not just in the overarching narrative, but like in the battles and development of your character. You know, a game that was actually balanced, that isn't a visual novel with embarrassing dialogue and characterization (or lack thereof).
that'd b cool

they are fun
my favorite is still Hoshigami

Please stop making XCOM look bad by associating your abhorrent posts with it. It's one of my favorite games.

Attached: Chryssalid.gif (155x200, 12K)

Why aren't JRPGs labeled as SRPGs anyway? The gameplay is fundamentally the same, the main difference is a singular overworld versus instanced maps.
Because JRPGs have no strategy
Then again, neither does Fire Emblem

>>this opinion is held by the majority of Yea Forums now
You mean when the board was created? Retard.

WHY DOESN'T TACTICS OGRE HAVE A PC PORT YET?

My post is absolutely true. There is not a single jap tactics game that is above mediocre.

DOES PPSSPP NOT EXIST IN YOUR WORLD?

This post also works as a response to an XCOM2WOTC OP

>You mean when the board was created?
You are confusing Yea Forums's taste with Yea Forums's.

Nah, I just have my old, scratchy, barely functional disc of the English release. Maybe once it finally shatters into dust I'll play the updated version. It does sound cool though, that multiplayer especially I'm curious about.

>not liking Front Mission 4/5
>implying Tactics Ogre: LUCT isn't great
I can get hating the more VN-type stuff but there's more to jap SRPGs than trash like Stella Glow that barely even qualifies as tactical.

Yeah, that's how I beat it but the graphics look ass and true mouse and keyboard support would be nice. Also, having one version to easily support mods considering how good the gameplay is.

True, but the real xcom 2 comes out in like a week so whatever.

Attached: QR7Skie.png (741x413, 707K)

Why are you acting like its surprising not to like these games? The tactics are absolute dogshit. The core gameplay is tailored for drooling retards.

Attached: 3a3d0e3d855eb5fa55c5343a6c6d9116cc0d1ff87f74f4626c169f67c4ccade5_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.j (639x361, 96K)

The main reason I remember that game is because Amon had a fucking amazing theme.

>spam smoke and scout/snipe
WOW TACTICAL!!!

Xcom is great but don't hold it up as some example of 200 iq gaming

What are some 200 IQ games?

I love SRW but outside of some of the winkysoft titles, it's a real stretch to use the word "strategy" to describe them.

wait what's this?

Is this Xenonauts 2?

>spam smoke and scout/snipe
even if you play on a low difficulty and cheese the game this is 1000x more tactical than anything you'd ever do in a jap tactics game.

yes

I don't think there are any

D&D, but a videogame that's actually like D&D, unlike all the D&D videogames.

Attached: d3186a87a8a563754298d3429d98cfaa-700.jpg (1120x700, 82K)

Shit I didn't know that was coming out so soon. The first one was decent enough fun

>What are some 200 IQ games?
x-piratez

Attached: xpirate3.jpg (620x386, 78K)

???

Attached: 51m4RP6gFhL._SY445_.jpg (253x445, 31K)

Check out Zachtronic's games. Not 200 IQ but should be higher than normal.

>Oh hey

i accidently started disgaea 5

send help

Attached: spiral power.png (579x329, 252K)

ATP my man
Always
Throw
Prinnies

Just be aware, if you want to get through missions "stealthed" you literally need to stock up on stealth gear, and pray to the RNG. AC!D is definitely an action game. Haven't played 2 though.

Are the anons who consider Fire Emblem to be the pinnacle of tactical games trolling? I'd wager they have an incredibly poor gaming experience, probably console-focused, because there are plenty of PC games that are so much better it's not even funny. Or is it just because of "muh waifus" retardation?

>thread
>1% discussion, 99% UR GAM IZ DUM LMAO
>JRPGS
>WRPGS
>XCOM
>NU-XCOM
>OCTOPATH (what the fuck)

Yes I can read thank you.

Any good tactical RPGs that don't punish you for slightly grinding like FF Tactics seems to? No real experience with them.

There aren't honestly that many that fuck you in the ass for grinding outside of stuff like The Last Remnant. FFT at least rewards you with better loot from the scaled random encounters, too.

I would like a fire emblem or xcom that was truly fucking huge, all these new games keep focusing on small squads.

Fuck that, give me 24 cunts storming out of an Avenger like the original XCOM, all decked in powered armour and heavy plasma. The remnant bad asses of 100 dead retards.

Then make sure the enemies are numerous enough or scary enough that you've still got your work cut out for you.

Ogre Battle probably

>24 cunts
XPiratez!?

>Tactical RPG
>RPG with turn based combat
What's the difference? Is one just a weeb thing and the other a western thing?

Attached: 1375124746248.gif (294x233, 1.54M)

I think it's pretty obvious, there are plenty of TB RPGs that have very shallow combat, not nearly enough to call it "tactical". This does mean those are bad games, however, just a different focus. Fallout 1/2 and Arcanum (TB mode) have very primitive combat with few options.
You'd be more accurateyto equate party-based with tactical since this more frequently results in something tactically engaging (but again, not always).

March of the Black Queen makes you evil if you overlevel.

I kinda get why they ditched that out-of-place tune but it rocked
youtube.com/watch?v=cwBZQNKeG5w

I like the genre a lot more in theory than practice. Only ever finished Lyn's game and Awakening. I think it was just not being able to get any of the games until late in the PS2 lifecycle that made the grass greener.

Attached: 185.jpg (1125x1500, 227K)

1.3 mod for FFT. increases the difficulty quite a bit while rebalancing vanilla. expect restarts and long-term unit planning

Attached: shining_force_iii-wallpaper6.jpg (800x600, 147K)

There's some 2D SRPG that came out not too long ago, I told myself to remember the name of it, but I didn't. Soemthing like, Doomchasers, Doomguards, or something? Ring any bells for anyone? The art style seemed a bit cartoony, if I recall correctly.

oh yeah, i know what you're talking about
there's a bat girl, right?

Battle For Wesnoth? Unit customization is fairly limited in most of the vanilla campaigns, though.

Fire Emblem actually does it totally fucking wrong.

It's extremely deterministic. You often only have one or two ways of playing through a level in an optimal fashion. That's fucking stupid. There shouldn't even BE an optimal method that works every time.

No replayability and downright fucking boring because it's not a test of creativity or skill, but rote memorization.

I've played each and every Disgaea to death and they really aren't complicated and they don't have difficult mechanics to understand.
You attack shit, attack shit as a group when next to an ally, lift shit, throw shit, buy gear, upgrade that gear with the item world, can create units and prestige those units so they get better stats. Thats basically it for Disgaea 1. Later games add a couple of other things like magichange but its not hard to follow unless you're a mouth breathing retard.

>All the characters finally meet up
>For literally one battle where they don't fight together on
>Can't even mix and match units from all three armies
>Final battle is only the Scenario 3 army, doesn't even involve the previous two MCs
I will always be disappointed by this.

I always found the series very dry. Inch forward, reset when you learnt he map layout because it spams shit you can't predict that can one shot you.

>Get a prinny who doesn't explode when thrown
>Name him Lucky
>Give him undead traits on top of tank prinny stats
>Singlehandedly eats the majority of enemy forces

Goddamn, that is pretty radical.

i miss FFT

Attached: 335437d7bf2f173ee3a0d814417bd445.jpg (394x403, 16K)

1st SRPG love was FFT:A
Current favorites are the devil survivors and Soul Nomad. Also a big fan of FE:POR.
Love disgaea 4 but the rest of the series, i usually get burned out by the midpoint. Is Disgaea 5 good?

XCOM and Valkyria Chronicles are GOAT.
FE is nice.
Disgaea is annoying.
FFT is okay.

Soul Nomad will always have a place in my heart for having the most balls-out evil of all evil routes in vidya.

Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis is a very fun video game.
I'll try Let Us Cling Together one day.

Attached: definitely not lans.png (240x160, 15K)

SMT: Devil Survivor 1 and 2

The best

The tactical aspect is great but more often than not they lack drastically in the RPG department.

>No one's posted Jagged Alliance 2 yet
What a shit thread.

>Rent

???

Gebrochen?? Was zum Teufel ist diese Scheiß-Tier-Übersetzung? Ich wette, ein Scheiß-Skin hat das getan. Ich dachte, dass dieser Mist der richtige sein sollte

Attached: UlzMxBovXvh89TY8L_pyfXv1h-wu5z2M4efDW-5tGbc.jpg (677x673, 86K)

Knight of Lodis is pretty neat. The emblem system was a really cool form of character development, albeit a way too abusable one with some very annoying aspects like taking a big intelligence penalty for getting the emblem you get for hitting someone really hard in melee or permanently fucking up male units' luck if you screw up trying to recruit too many women.

so youve never played dnd

It's SRPG, you faggot.

TRPG is the shortening of Tabletop RPGs. Hence why anyone worth their shit calls them SRPG games, instead.

Attached: rpgtools-990x589.jpg (990x589, 96K)

Still a bit confused as to why Sony never gave this a PAL release considering the subject matter and how disproportionately that France and Belgium eat up Japanese media.

Attached: 220px-Jeanne_d'Arc_Coverart.png (220x385, 171K)

because there no strategy or tactics in normal jrpgs

Are there any tactical RPG games that are not weeaboo shit?

Agreed, i adore a games that offers a villain or evil stroyline. Part of the reason i adore alpha protocol

Lurk for at least two years before posting, or fuck off back to wherever you came from.

>MILLENIAL RAGE INTENSIFIES
youtube.com/watch?v=BlP8cUlPwvw

Attached: Mechanicus Game in a nutshell.jpg (849x589, 80K)

I've been here since 2006, how about you?

It's clearly TTRPGS, you no neckbeard cunt drip

>Why aren't JRPGs labeled as SRPGs anyway?

because SRPGs are stuff like this, not traditional turn based RPGs

Attached: ForNoReason.png (683x728, 467K)

They're very very enjoyable to play if they're done well
Alicesoft has made a bunch of them and this side of them is rarely talked about compared to their Rance titles

Dalk
Mamatoto
Kaeru nyo Panyon
Mamanyonyo
Dalk Gaiden
Wide-nyo
Blade Briders

Everything I listed you have to try even once, but if there's only one thing on that list you play, go for Mamatoto. I think there's nothing else like it to this day and I don't know why they haven't made a true sequel to it.

Attached: 2d9da3b[1].jpg (800x600, 200K)

>I love SRW but outside of some of the winkysoft titles, it's a real stretch to use the word "strategy" to describe them.

Especially with more recent titles where the "strategy" boils down to: "Send out Mazinkaizer/Demonbane/OG Character/Neo Granzon/00 Raiser/other OP unit" to tank shit for 1 turn and then use everyone else to clean things up the next turn

I really hate permadeath. Having to redo a map in Suikoden Tactics because the enemy got a lucky bullshit hit on one of my units and killed them is no fun. And this is a game that lets you build your units up, it's even more rage inducing in shit like Fire Emblem were its a constant forward progression. Yeah I know it gives you other characters in the same class but it's still not fun to have to waste exp kitting them out.

this is anime waifu board, gtfo you filthy casual

I played the first OG game on the GBA, and I too noticed there wasn't much "strategy" to it.

I think it's partly because the terrain is just flat

I dare you to finish Dalk Gaiden

>I think it's partly because the terrain is just flat

there are terrain bonuses but you need to examine the tiles to see what bonuses they confer

>backed unsung story
>5 years ago
there are so few decent tactical rpgs these days that I'll dig through trash just to play one.

Attached: 1549976924572.jpg (776x1000, 95K)

>disgaea
>tactical
yeah, no
disgaea is a braindead farmfest

Have you played Gungnir on the PSP?

well there are always battle brothers
still i wouldn't name it rpg

Attached: 1491088587202.jpg (540x417, 228K)

I know there are terrain bonuses. I finished the game.
It's just that the effect of terrain in SRW games is very one-dimensional compared to other tactical RPGs where they have different elevation and can have other effects. This is also why I'm not a huge fan of Disgaea series as it's like the reverse of SRW. Elevation shit but mostly random nonsensical or no effects from terrain.

I didn't own a psp so I played their other game knights in the nightmare. I suppose I'll check it out.

Eh, BB is totally an RPG.

it has very limited global map interactions
and practically no permanent characters in the world(outside hoggart)

Attached: zombie noble.png (980x544, 1005K)

Battle brothers is such a missed opportunity holy hell.
>no player character
>no horses
>no sieges
>terrain is basic as fuck, no dungeons, settlements, no architecture whatsoever
>no interesting emergent gameplay options or politics
>traits are way too simplisitc, boring and as a result easily gamed for no fun meta comps
>random generated map as cherry on the shit cake

Ah, I was thinking more in the terms of character development. You've definitely got a point there.

Try it, it's not only demanding on the tactical side but also your decisions and battle deaths carry over from battle to battle. Also it has 20+ different ailments and battle statuses.

BB really does feel like it just needed a bit more to become something truly great. I wonder if the devs ran out of money and rushed it out the door or something.

how do i beat heros graveyard? Also is there a better early grindingspot than jotuns?

Here's another one you guys probably haven't heard of
it's kind of barebones, but it's challenging. Weird that it got an english translation. It's a remake of an old version on PC-98 which is just top-down

Attached: 21006[1].jpg (800x600, 187K)

Jeanne D'arc is the greatest
fuck roger

Attached: ucus-98700-game-ss-23.jpg (627x353, 79K)

I have one question.

Is it porn?

and when I say challenging, I mean X-com levels of frustration in terms of shot accuracy

I haven't really played a TRPG I liked since I was a kid playing FFT, but I've been playing a shitload of Into The Breach recently and been wanting to test the waters a little more. Is there anything out there that plays a little more heavily on the puzzle side of things?

>no player character

There will be on in an upcoming DLC. Same rules as Persona too, if he dies than it's game over.
Completely agree on terrain tho, I want some fucking dungeons in this bitch

Oh, speaking of PC-98 SRPGs, Power Dolls is pretty neat, albeit tricky to understand at first. It was part of that brief era where most turn-based strategy games' main inspiration was Panzer General.

Attached: powerdolls2.png (640x480, 27K)

they are pretty turn based

Hmmm.. Disgaea sometime does that

Power Dolls have plenty of waifu material.

Attached: PD 2.png (722x565, 383K)

Only the first one is translated, right?

yea, but the porn isn't anything special when I played it way back when. Play it for the challenge of finishing it.

Here's what the old version looked like

Attached: 130395[1].png (640x399, 59K)

It's got a lot of neat stuff for the time, too, like being able to call in strikes from your artillery unit and having alternate deployment options for each mission.

Attached: powerdolls.png (640x400, 21K)

It's just weebs and nuXcom faggots shitting around as usual.
Favorite 1.13 mod? Arulco Revisited for me, it just adds so much new shit to explore.

Yeah, the first one got an official english release back in the day.

Nope.
Only one start would have it and its just leading char not a player char.
It was just one guy coding and he get fed up with all that shit.
>no horses
Well actually I am fine with this but you are completely right on the rest
old version (0.5 build) has much interesting economy and no scaling, to bad combat was much less polished

Attached: orc boss.png (404x601, 474K)

I seriously love the mechanical designs for this game but never got into it, what's the best way to play it?

you guys probably don't know, but the same company made a series that has Fantasy mecha

youtube.com/watch?v=AfH3qsczpFI

Attached: 008[1].jpg (800x600, 662K)

Actually, this reminds me that there was another old jap SRPG I was meaning to play, since it got an english fan translation not too long ago. It's sort of a proto-Front Mission, from what I understand.

Attached: CRW.jpg (640x402, 176K)

I don't really recommend it
its dated as fuck and age as milk

Attached: 590375-power-dolls-2-dash-pc-98-screenshot-or-this-excellently-outfitted.gif (640x400, 32K)

JA2 is more of a tactical RPG than a strategy one
Though that might be a bit of a retarded/autistic distinction to make, I dunno.

youtube.com/watch?v=kB52ole0BgI When?

It runs fine on dosbox. It's janky and pretty slow, I'll warn you.

Tabletop is a single word you ESL cum stain. It's TRPG and always has been.

It also seems to have a lot of mech vs infantry stuff, which seems neat.

Attached: CRW2.jpg (640x396, 162K)

the gimmick in this game is that you pair you characters into the mecha to pilot them

I liked Legends of Eisenwald

You know what else is a single word? Roleplaying. But we don't call RPGs RGs.

Ooh, is that destructible terrain I see in the trailer?

i like this game fellas
grids are based

Attached: 9b40fec44234126ec95b8d991b6a6252ba9c0a0f.jpg (616x353, 43K)

Jap ones, minus the obvious best ones, are often boring grindfest or puzzle games.

Aside from that, it's a great genre

>women conquistadors
also Mexico is kind of meh
still better than vikings

it's a video game my man
there's aztec wizards and shit too, in my mind you just put women in there to mix up the party and whatnot

I honestly can't remember since it's been years since I played it, but I downloaded the iso again last year, but if you're talking about what I think you are then yea I think that spell just destroyed the trees.

That's because roleplay is a neologism. Tabletops have been a thing for as long as tables themselves. Role-playing is a new word that was created recently and the acronym predates the merging.

Attached: スクリーンショット_2019-03-08_11-13-30.png (1920x1080, 2.29M)

I was a bit sad when I finally figured out that the perfect combat party has almost none of the gimmick classes. It's been a while since I played but IIRC it was something ridiculous like 1 ranged guy 1 healer and the rest were all frontline tanks with swords

What are some good mecha srpg that also translated to english?

Hladat Googlom!

Attached: 1536865073288.png (540x540, 378K)

The Front Mission games are all pretty excellent- even the weakest one, 3, is still solidly above-average.
There's also the recent Battletech game on the western side of things.

Attached: front mission.png (2213x1694, 1.58M)

Attached: golgom.jpg (640x480, 39K)

Drone Tactics, which nobody else played but it's fun and actually fairly challenging despite seeming aimed at kids. It's about giant robot bugs which is inherently pretty rad. Emulates pretty decently, too.

Attached: Drone_Tactics_Artbox.jpg (333x299, 27K)

Isnt yggdra union getting a rerelease or something? I remember it being fun/hard. I remember my brainlet friends in college who couldn't even get past the first few stages

There is 0 grinding until you beat the main story unless you are actually that much of a brainlet.

On one hand I like the challenge permadeath implies, on the other i always end up resetting to save a character

Maybe i am brainlet, but at second to last mission in game i just stopped dealing damage to enemies even with best available equipment bought.

Play Kong's Bounty.

Attached: 2011-08-28_00001.jpg (1920x1200, 874K)

How many units did you have in your party? EXP distribution can get fucked if you have too many characters on the field.

Also one of the default decals for your robo-bugs is moe eyes.

Attached: Drone Tactics 2016-12-19 11.44.26.png (512x768, 317K)

youtube.com/watch?v=fnHJtmygl4o

Attached: 8nDXiQE.png (256x384, 56K)

Tactical RPGs are a fun concept, but it can never get even close to it's full potential vs AI as you can always easily cheese them.
The only way to have tactics any meaning vs AI is to have bloated health and dmg on AI while the player is kept relatively low.

Did you let yourself get geofucked? Final areas are always when you're supposed to have mastered dealing with them

>Suikoden tactics
>Permadeath
Just use the permadeath immune characters user

>Stuck with all the faggot characters
>Can't use Jeanne, Milay or Charlemagne
Hahahahah fuck you.

been getting my ass handed to me in tactics ogre. the only way I can win most of these fights is by dumping all my finishing moves on the target. still loving the game though.

whats the best mecha srpg?

Attached: Dfmok9DUcAAWRRj.jpg (1126x1200, 129K)

Front Mission 5, though it's a sendoff to the series and shouldn't be played before the other games.

Attached: front mission.jpg (1086x1600, 872K)

Add the worst
>No modding

Name?

JRPGs can be Tactical/Simulation RPGs, just as they can be ARGPs and Blobbers.

Pretty Soldier Wars AD 2048

I don't think you want to know, user...

Attached: 1531075587693.jpg (1332x720, 351K)

>tfw dorf fort and zacktronics games barely faze me but Aurora is like a solid brick wall

I actually heard there are some mods for it, although not sure if they are officially supported.

I tried playing this once because it looked like great fun. I'm still pissed off that the game simply doesn't give you enough information to survive on your own without reading the wiki
>design ship
>turns out you need one high res and one low res scanner to be able to detect large ships far away and small fast ships close to you
>literally impossible to figure this out
>every single component has tuning shit like that which you have no way of knowing what to do with

Fft only scales random battle, story missions dont scale

Got so bored of this game

Hey any of you played stella deus or sacred blaze? both for the ps2

What version? cause I heard the psp remake is way easier/broken, but I never played the original.

I don't like isometrics and sprites so I've stayed away from the genre entirely.

Rejoice then.
Some autist called Adam - bless his name - broken the encryption and now all game files are open for modding.
There is already dozens of mods with quality of life improvements.

Attached: 3.jpg (788x247, 117K)

the psp version

Is that the Big Bad BeetleBorg font?

Turn everyone into archers.

Get more archers. also try recruiting enemies to get their better equipment

I guess 3 archers might not be enough.
> try recruiting enemies to get their better equipment
I should probably do this, I've been using only the units I started with plus some of the guests you recruit

>Enough
>Archers

Pick one.

>SRPG thread
I'm playing Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection in PSP, oddly enough, Sting is involved on here and it shows. Apparently, its base gameplay came from Yggdra Unison.

Then theres also Rondo of Swords in DS. Balls to walls hard in early game without ZoC but once you got a character with it, its becomes bearable enough. Still hard without an archer with 10+ range, sniper mage, rush attacker and defenders.

Attached: Rondo of Swords__1332.png (256x384, 56K)

Actually, I just memeing about the archers, I only use one (Arycelle) and have no problems with most of the battles, just use whoever you like and it usually works out, even a beast.
also clerics and people that can use white magic are also cool cause boon of swiftness, being fast is important

Holy shit, that's fantastic.

>D&D specifically made an entire edition to emulate video games, and everyone fucking hated it
>But they never made any video games based on 4e's mechanics, despite it pretty much being a video game on paper.

Attached: boredlink.jpg (184x184, 8K)

only trannies care about D&D now

Yep.
Although it just happened in January so there is not that much.
nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/

Attached: retirement_04.jpg (1920x1080, 1.04M)

>MUH TRANNIES

you can greentext all you want but you can't deny they're pushing more and more of their shit every single day in as many forms of media as they can

>trannies playing a game where the whole point is pretending you're something you're not.
hmm

glad you agree with me
there's nothing more to talk about

The Generations of Chaos games feel pretty obtuse but with enough head bashing it does get pretty interesting.

Tactics Ogre > FFT
Anything decent and under the radar relative to the usual mentions? I liked Jeanne d'Arc for what it was. I prefer isometric RPG-heavy stuff instead of Fire Emblem/Advance Wars generally.

Battle Brothers(now with modding)
X-Piratez(not recent but updated)

Attached: 20160907065629_1.jpg (1920x1080, 512K)

What are the best tactical RPGs with "natural" mechanics? I don't care if it's simple or complex, I just want something that isn't tacked on with arbitrary mechanics. For example, I found Front Mission 3 off-putting because of the RNG-activated skills.

I recently started Shining Force and I'm enjoying it a lot even though it's pretty simple. No weird and hokey synergy bonus combo bullshit. Healers can heal themselves because why the fuck shouldn't they be able to?

Silent Storm is also pretty good, but its skill trees are an example of what I dislike from RPGs. If a game is going to have skills, there better be a damn good reason why one character is locked out of other skills if he learns certain ones.

Panzer General II is probably the most complex turn-based game I enjoy, and I like it very much because although it has a lot of underlying mechanics, all of them feel natural and have some basis on reality.

Love the genre and I really fucking miss a TJRPG on the market, they arent made anymore aside from the trendmill simulator called disgaea, and fire emblem

loved devil survivor

I played this for about 2 hours and it's just too weird
What's the point of units having HP if everything not only oneshots them but also burns through like 5 of them at once?

Are the Mercenaries games on switch worth getting? They look generic but solid. I only care for the gameplay, so a weak story is irrelevant to me.

DeSu3 when.

Attached: airi-ban-49670.jpg (400x615, 163K)

>DeSU 3 on switch
Oh boy a man can dream

A shame I believe the series got trauma team'd

higher level units have more HP
If you pick your team properly you can finish the game without taking losses as an enemy stack will not do enough damage to even kill 1 unit in yours.
Units also have unique skills so for the same leadership you can get a unit with more HP but less (or worse) special talents or vice versa.

>Panzer General II
You tried Open General?

>Hey any of you played stella deus or sacred blaze? both for the ps2

never heard of those, how are they?

Holy shit time to download BB again

Also X-com Files mod for old xcom.

luis-guzman.com/downloads.html#OG
Enjoy.
X-com files are practically prequel to the x-piratez
X-piratez lore is top tier especially that it don't treat itself serious and still make sense

Attached: screen000.png (1920x1080, 25K)

Fuck off wirh your ugly ass westaboo shit user. Nobody cares.

Bahamaut Lagoon and shining force feather are like exactly what you're looking for. Although SFF is only in nip. BL is pretty freaking impressive though (especially considering its a snes game that came out in the early 90s), not only is it a pretty good srpg but you can fuck with the environment with magic spells. Forest going to hamper your movement, or the enemy is moving through it? Burn it down. Bridge a choke point and you want to rush the enemy? Freeze the water and walk across.

I honestly wonder why it isn't more popular. The only thing I don't like about it is you have a dragon that you raise that joins you in battle and theres no way to control it.

>they arent made anymore aside from the trendmill simulator called disgaea, and fire emblem

Did you hit your head in the morning?
Super Robot Wars is pushing out games almost yearly.
Valkyria Chronicles 4 came out last year and we're getting a new Sakura Wars game either this or next year.
Gundam is celebrating its anniversary with yet another SD Gundam SRPG game.
Wargroove is a mix of Advance Wars and Fire Emblem. It's not made by Japanese, but the game is as close as you could possibly get.
Langrisser series is getting new remade games on Switch and PS4.
There's an SRPG set during the French Revolution in the works, for fuck's sake.
And that's just the top titles without going into any enthusiast titles and completely ignoring about a dozen or so mobile games in this genre coming out by summer.

Attached: 20180813215539_d384bcca.jpg (1600x900, 960K)

Started playing shining force 3 about a week ago. Been meaning to do a run through of it ever since the translation patch was finished a few years ago.

My Hayward is turning into a fucking beast this playthrough. He hits like a truck and crits more often than not, which in turn makes him even stronger because his weapon experience goes up faster.

Attached: 1454217087341.jpg (2428x3493, 3.25M)

Anything japanese like the games I mentioned? Onimusha Tactics is another example. I'll check out BB though, thanks.

>Bahamaut Lagoon
>tfw my dragons always end up as these
not having internet or a friend that plays it too back then was a pain

Attached: uniuni9.gif (186x198, 6K)

My man! Rhapsodia/Suikoden Tactics is stealth one of the best TRPG's ever (to help make up for how shitty IV was).

Did you upload your IV save and get the Hero? He fucking wrecks!

Attached: 1541339435562.gif (246x264, 69K)

Front Mission 2 and 5, 4 is also good but more flawed than the other two, Power Dolls is also a good mecha SRPG series with great looking mechs too.

dunno
stopped playing jrpg some times ago
>brigandine

I dont speak cantonese user

i like them in theory but in practice they are kind of tedious and grindy. disgaea is one of the worst offenders for this.

why hate on 3?
it was one of my first psx games and i greatly enjoy it
even later when i replay them

Jagged Alliance 2?

>why hate on 3?
Because it's a massive step back from everything else in the series, with the worst balance, worst maps, worst story and worst cast, even 1 is more playable than the mess that is FM3, and on top of that it has a better cast, story and music.

there's this one called Saiyuki by KOEI (the ones that made dynasty warriors games), though it might be obscure because it was just mediocre.

Attached: saiyuki-journey-west-2-555x416.jpg (555x416, 48K)

it wasn't that bad
didn't played 2 tho
but couldn't not digest 4

Energy Breaker.

Try any of the numbered shining force titles. I love the series but its pretty much babbies first srpg. 99% of fights have the enemies spread out, its easy to grind and theres barely a penalty for death.

Attached: shiningforce3part1-1.jpg (797x488, 168K)

Exquise moi.

Attached: Banner-of-the-Maid-8.jpg (854x480, 96K)

>it wasn't that bad
Oh yes, it was.

NO.
4 was bad.

You may want to check out the Order of Battle series. It's an evolution of Panzer General with a nifty supply/front line mechanic in addition to everything that made the original great. Now you can't just park yourself any old place and expect to get fully resupplied, you need to control a route to a stockpile, and that stockpile has to have enough stuff in it.

RoTK 11 is a good one too. There isn't any divide between the space on which you battle and the management portion of the game (which consists primarily of recruiting new officers, and building up stockpiles of arms and food) and while there are special abilities, they're tied to the novel and characters from it, and are generally fairly sensible (IE, setting fires, pushing, pulling, or breaking through units)

don't listen to that guy
3 was never bad

weebs have the shitties taste in everything

>4 was bad.
4 didn't have absolute nonsense like skills being better at low level than high level, it had proper maps, a decent story and a good cast, which is already more than 3 brings to the table.

It's got something for everybody. Also it's legit one of the best SRPGs made in a long, long time so you should totally play it.

I saw her panties on Smash.

That and the fact that when Julian fights the sc1 and 2 forces his group is about 7 or 8 levels higher than them so you end up walking all over your dudes. They probably should have had them scaled to your levels at the very least. That probably would have made those fights on par with the chess battle in sf2.

Attached: masquirin Shining Force 3.jpg (528x756, 119K)

Immediately jumping into three after finishing the first one, I can say at the very least that it was an immense disappointment. There is a gross lack of equipment for Wanzers and only being able to deploy four units for every map makes every combat feel low stakes and dull. The only thing going for it, in my opinion, is the virtual web, but it's hard to interact with today, given how damn slow it is to navigate.

>can't even mix and match units from all 3 armies

I think you can do this on the premium disk, but thats only a boss rush extra thing.

Attached: 1446705439328.png (990x900, 1.33M)

Same. I must have started to play this like 3 times and just quit around midway through.

>What's the point of units having HP if everything not only oneshots them but also burns through like 5 of them at once?

Attached: s1.reutersmedia.jpg (450x307, 14K)

Rent is the past tense of Rend. Its obscure as hell but technically still correct.
Simple example:
"I will rend you asunder"
"His armor was rent asunder"

those are PGII mods tho

Also forgot about Master of Monsters series
shame I lost my copy of it on PC and can't find one available for download
Not sure if it was 4 or 3

Attached: 06mm403[1].jpg (640x480, 222K)

that reminds me of Vantage Master

Attached: fullscrn.gif (800x562, 118K)

KOEI used to have TW games before Total war.
with three layers strategic/operational/tactical

>SRPGs will forever be associated with rancid shit because weebs have tainted them
>they completely ignore genuinely tactical weeb games like Growlanser, Langrisser, Gemfire, and Brigandine
>basically just casual retards that don't belong here using "THIS IS A JAPANESE BOARD FOR JAPANESE ANIMES" as an excuse
Yea Forums gets worse every day

Attached: thinking-wizard.jpg (1798x2379, 568K)

Favorite combat system

Attached: 51GHXZY99JL.jpg (500x375, 45K)

You obviously haven't read the thread.
Stay mad, you miserable faggot.

Sometime I feel like the only person who genuinely dislikes ToEE.

>Nope.
>Only one start would have it and its just leading char not a player char.
What's the difference?

I like VM too but MoM is more like your typical SRPG because your units carry over from battle to battle as far as I remember and I think you can even equip stuff on them and they even evolve

Attached: 005_2[1].jpg (800x600, 260K)

Not special perks, events, skills etc.
Its just gonna be a hedge knight start. imagine making your axebro a lead and then ending game when he die.

>You obviously haven't read the thread.
I have and its 95% shit.

>tries to sound superior but hasn't played the actually deep Japanese SRPGs
LOL fuck off
you're no better than the casual weebs you hate

Fire emblem is the worst of them all. Rope yourself.

How do you choose a team in Disgaea? There are too many qt waifus to just choose one.

did this series ever unfuck itself? because i distinctly remember everything following the genesis title being pretty terrible.

Have you played Divinity Original Sin? It’s exactly as you describe. A full RPG with quests and exploration that goes into tactical mode for combat. It has a heavy emphasis on elements so you can for example cast a rain spell to make the enemies wet then send a lightning bolt to fry them. It’s fucking great.

when I played Disgaea 3 and 4, I just tried to have one of every unit type and leveled them mostly equally

>hasn't played the actually deep Japanese SRPGs
lol ok

Dwarf fortress

Have you tried Panzer Corps?

You don't say!?
Are you telling me a bunch of British people, living in a country which literally censored words like samurai or ninja on TV, did not come up with the idea to set a game during Sengoku period Japan with all the samurai and ninja running about? As if they, by complete accident, also got the whole overworld campaign map and separate battlefield concept down. When there's this really old and well known Japanese series which was doing that for decades by then, and doing so in the exact same way Total War does to this day?
Stop talking nonsense, mate.

For real though, Total War is Nobunaga's Ambition set in Europe and with real-time battles (which were also taken from an older Warhammer game, IIRC).

Attached: nobunaga2-4.png (256x239, 14K)

I really wouldn't be able to tell you, as I didn't do any kind of comparison of each title nor would I have been able to
I wish I could get another chance to play it now

Attached: 007_2[1].jpg (800x600, 215K)

all you've listed are console games you fucking casual faggot
ok your pathetic face

Is there a list of SRW translated games?

Attached: 1541961702749.png (488x426, 95K)

there is also centurion

>I really wouldn't be able to tell you, as I didn't do any kind of comparison of each title nor would I have been able to
>pretending to like obscure untranslated games you haven't even played or understand
So this is the power of weebs, whoa....

Not him but I hate divinity world and plots
Its shallow high fantasy and light hearted, its like a dnd table with people you dont like

and as so, i usually cant play it for long

>All these faggots posting unstranslated games itt

Kill yourselves
This is a recommendations thread, not your "I can speak taiwanese" masturbatory thread

>recommendation thread
>wants to play the good stuff
>isn't intelligent enough to learn the language to play them
not our fault you're a piece of garbage
you and belong with each other

FFT is the only one I was ever really able to tolerate.

Yeah, that could have been a decent starting point for the battle system as well.
Overworld-wise, Centurion is more akin to RotK in that you're just another commander, not the de-facto leader of everything like in Total War or Nobunaga.

Just like most things in life.

Valkyria Chronicles.

good games for laptops

how is UX? i've only played BX

I think all of these would be good on a laptop as they're not hardware-intensive

>Learning a language just to play obscure games
I also had the mental age of a 15 years old once too

Fpwp

base on how you reply, you still do
end of discussion

>Is there a list of SRW translated games?

1 - Game boy (Fan)
2 - NES (Fan)
3 - SNES (Fan)
Gaiden - SNES (Fan)
Alpha Gaiden - PS1 (Fan)
J - GBA (Fan)
Original Generation 1 - GBA (Atlus)
Original Generation 2 - GBA (Atlus)
Moon Dwellers - PS4 (SEA)
V - PS4 (SEA)
X - PS4 (SEA)
T - PS4 & Switch (SEA) (Comes out later this month)

>BRs? Reddit? Neogaf?
Yeah western bullshit came from there and infected Yea Forums

>tactical role playing games
>Disgaea
>Tactical
>Where the only tactic that ever counts is having bigger numbers than your oponent

Attached: 1511462589232.jpg (354x352, 49K)

also because you don't really need a mouse and can just use a mousepad and keyboard while you chat on aim to your weeb gf

>how is UX? i've only played BX

It's pretty good and one of the few SRWs where when you get a secret unit, you automatically get that unit on NG+ and the game remembers what routes you went on (except for one or two secrets) so you don't have to worry about that stuff on NG+.

Also, The Tactician is more busted in UX because it basically boiled down to this question:
Are you going for a secret that requires a tactician for this stage?
Yes? Use them
No? Use Zuage Liang

I also forgot AP Portable (PSP)

I sunk about 450 hours into let us cling, its an improvement in every way over Lodis.
Shitloads of endgame too, 400+ hours worth if you decide to start playing with time travel in the post game.
It has a very interesting endgame idea where you can pick characters that die in the main story, and attempt to twist time by changing specific missions like a medieval groundhog day until they survive to the end and become party members.

But user the real X-Com successor comes out later this year.

Attached: Phoenix-Point-3.jpg (620x349, 94K)

FFT only punishes you for grinding if Ramza is the only character you focus on.

That looks cute af.

To be fair, that's like the first thing you should account for in a real war.

Holy motherfucking moley. With autism all things are truly possible.

Langrisser 2 is the best SRPG ever made,you can't prove me wrong.

>fuck roger

Hey fuck you too buddy.

Good, but the second one is not translated, however the menus are half in eng so is definitely playable

If your tactics RPG doesn't have god tier generics I'm not going to bother with it.

Attached: TO Dragoons.jpg (818x1000, 329K)

Opinions of space hulk ascension?

I love how Terror Knights look but they're so shit so I never use them, real shame.

If they weren't slower than Knights they would be a lot more useful

Attached: Terror KnightM.png (550x544, 245K)

we getting way too many of them this year but I'm not complaining, digimon, sd gundam, SRW T, Fire Emblem, the new disgaea that's getting announced in a few weeks just to name a few coming out this year

Der Langrisser

Which is your personal favoirte? I'm most looking forward to the Sakura Taisen game.

Partly because I just love giant robots and partly because I enjoyed Valkyria's control mechanics a great deal, less so their execution (ubalanced as all fuck in 1 and 4, slightly less so but still not ideal in 2 and 3).

Attached: MV5BZDNhZTlmNTMtNGQwMS00ZTUyLWE1MmItZTNmZGIwYWQ5ZGIwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU3OTI4MDU@._V1_.jpg (460x379, 98K)

I always liked Tactics games that let you have a lot of customization over your generics, from their name, to their colors, and of course abilities.

So I've played FFT, TO, Disegaeas, and Wild ARMs XF, what else could be suggested?

Attached: TOClasses.png (1500x1398, 2.19M)

all those buildings are destructible too

any game that doesn't really on randomness in its calculation? I feel like shit like crits or dodge mechanics only drags the tactical aspect lower than it should.

Tactics and RPGs don't mix well because you can just grind the tactics away

After playing the mobile gacha I'm interested. Are the other games good?

Played Stella Deus a couple times. Tfw all your work pays off and you get Vizer or w/e his name is to join you

>those games are so easy man, I looked at the gamefaq page and I could totally do it myself easily lmao

not if there's no free battle or similar feature

That would be ideal. Are there any games like this?

Langrisser 1 and 2 are great,4 is good and i heard that 5 is pretty solid too,don't know anything about 3.
Langrisser Re:Incarnation is mediocre

They can also put a level cap so you can't overlevel

fire emblem

What? I only played the GBA games but I definitely remember them having free battles for grinding

Only the last GBA title had that feature, if I recall correctly. Various newer titles also have it. Most games that don't have the coliseum anyway.

Anyone played this? Interested because it's in humble monthly.

Attached: MV5BNjlkMGYwYWEtZjRjOS00NjY3LWFlZTgtYzEyMGM4Yzc0M2M4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIzNzc1ODY@._V1_.jpg (3276x1843, 3.4M)

>all you've listed are console games you fucking casual faggot
as apposed to what? basic as fuck koei games that work exactly the same as their console counterparts? you're a real dipshit if you think there is any jap strategy game on the PC remotely comparable to western games made on the same platform.

Attached: chexapic_010213.jpg (480x272, 79K)

Eternal Poison.

So I take it you never played Heroes of Might and Magic.

Based on the negative reviews on Steam, I wouldn't take a chance on it.

I like them but I hate it when they give you unique characters that are a head-and-shoulder above generic units

Play Langrisser Mobile

it's unironically good

Attached: langrisser mommy.jpg (768x1024, 601K)

This! Position, defence, hitrate, evasion means NOTHING. The only thing that matters is your attack power and one-hitting your enemies. In the best possible situation a defender gets 40% penalty to their defense. In the same situation, the attacker still gets a maximum of 10% penalty.

High ground, facing the enemy etc does not matter if you are on the receiving end of an attack.

Would I be missing anything if I jumped straight into FFTA? I've been interested in Final Fantasy Tactics for a while and I'm about to get a flash cart for my GBA.

SRPG's are my favorite. The old Arc the Lad games for the PSX got me into SRPG's. We need more of them t b h

Anyone enjoy Stella Glow, I don't see it talked about much?

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x271, 30K)

No, FFTA is its own self contained story.

Would Into the Breach be considered SRPG?

what's a TRPG that is easier than xcom long war and harder than ffta?

Nope. FFT, FFTA, and even FFTA2 are all completely separate stories that can be played on their own without missing a single thing.

Neat. I looked around online a little but couldn't get a straight answer while avoiding spoilers.

This franchise continues to confuse me with its naming schemes.

Blessed user

Its really not that confusing. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance uses the mechanics established in Final Fantasy Tactics, and was released on the Game Boy Advance.

>tactics
>tactics advance since it's on the gba
>tactics a2 since it's in the same universe as advance, but calling it advance would be weird for a ds game so a2 it is
works well enough for me

Final Fantasy games in general have never really been interconnected unless they specifically say it's a sequel to the entry.

Late to the thread but can anyone recommend me some good western Tactics RPGs?
Some games I already played and enjoyed
>XCOM (old and new) + XCOM2
>Jagged Alliance 2
>Silent Strike
>Battle Brothers
These games are all great and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Is there anything else I'm missing out on?

I'd say normal Fire Emblem games fit the bill.
XCOM takes a lot from Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem doesn't have an RNG that is stacked against you for comedic effect, but on the other hand it has a brutal AI that really doesn't do any stupid moves like the one in XCOM.
Both games' optimal strategy is to pick apart enemies by slowly aggroing small pockets and picking them apart.

Depending on which game you choose, Fire Emblem is going to be either about as hard as normal XCOM, but the tougher games make even the most retarded settings in XCOM look like cakewalk in comparison.

I still remember the magazine ad for this game with the big splash banner of "PEOPLE OF EARTH, YOU ARE THE ENEMY!"

silent storm 2 is awesome, try that

OpenXCOM mods
Age of Wonders series
For varying definitions of good, Temple of Elemental Evil and Knights of the Chalice might count.

I've been meaning to go back and finish that, I stopped after Scenario 1 due to my computer getting fried.

Surely by NOW there's a decent Saturn emulator that doesn't make me want to scream!

>Silent storm 2
Meant to post that but wrote silent strike instead for some reason.
Played it and it's awesome.
Played Age of Wonders a fair bit. I'll have a look at some OpenXCOM mods. Might come back to XCOM 2 as well since I never actually finished that

Ninjas with double attack and steelstance are the broken. Get a few of these winged dudes as archers. A mage who can petrify tanks. The lobber weapon is better at healing,buffing and debuffing than any class that specializes in it.
The AI will chase low level targets. Keeping one on the edge of the map will prevent them from playing defensively as they try to reach the low level.

Actually what makes me mad about FE is that it's too little deterministic. There are a LOT of random things that can screw you. It's basically RNG screwed: the game: if an enemy crits you, reset or lose your unit; if you miss a hit, your character will die and you'll have to reset; characters can be stuck with shitty stats because of rng; etc. Not to mention, if you're playing blindly, reinforcements from nowhere can appear and screw you.
For a game where you can get one-shot so easily, I'd like something more deterministc, like Chess (which, by the way, doesn't mean there's only one way to win).

Mate, that's the point of the design.
These games were made to be replayable because your units would always behave differently in different walkthroghs.
You could lose a critical unit and have to deal with it just because of a crit.

The only problem is that games got a little too good at making characters, so everyone just resets everything compared to XCOM or the like, where you couldn't give less of a fuck about hordes of rookies eating it.

try x-piratez man
its really good
settings is kinda wacky at the start but its actually good
i was avoiding it because meme babe pirates but hell it really really good

>xenonauts
>expeditions: conquistador
>king's bounty armored princess
>temple of elemental evil
>gorky 17
>gold box games
>arkania (remakes are shit, avoid)
>7.62 high calibre
>banner saga
>warhammer 40k chaos gate
>dungeon rats

There are tons. Don't shy away from pure strategy games, either, Some of them have genuinely cool tactical combat like MoO2 and HoMM3.
youtu.be/Vm4SRF4ppvg

Attached: MV5BZmY3YTkzNjMtMjI5OC00Y2MzLTkxOWEtOGM1YTNkMWQxMzU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjA2ODYyMDQ@._V1_.jpg (640x480, 154K)

>Gorky 17
Christ, I haven't thought about that game in over a decade

>warhammer liberation of volistad

>gold box games
As in the D&D ones? I thought those were all dungeon crawlers that played kinda like Ultima Underworld?

>As in the D&D ones?
yes by SSI
>I thought those were all dungeon crawlers that played kinda like Ultima Underworld?
nah dude they are fucking insane tactical games. start with pool of radiance. probably gunna want to use this add-on with them:
gbc.zorbus.net/

Attached: pool-of-radiance_9.png (640x400, 6K)

Any guidelines on Fire Emblem games? Where does one start?

Who /gorky17/ here?

Attached: ss_6d15156c07ff413c9e250dcc96d779bd5124cd79.1920x1080.jpg?t=1512659017.jpg (1024x768, 346K)

Incubation

Attached: incubation01.png (640x480, 273K)

>Christ, I haven't thought about that game in over a decade
Gotta admit the game is pretty brilliant for what it does. Unique aim patterns for all weapons and enemies, bosses with special gimmicks,
all encounters appear random but actually aren't, open map design that encourages exploration, resource management, non-retarded AI, weird as fuck horror game aesthetic. I like it a lot.

they're all irredeemable shit, just pick anything

3DS' Awakening or GBA's Fire Emblem.
I tried to start with both. Awakening has really high production values, but eeh... standard difficulty gets too easy too quickly, a lot of characters take a long time to stop being completly one-dimensional.
GBA's Fire Emblem is a better starter in my opinion. The maps are more varied, the story and introduction to it handled better, less obnoxious characters,...

It's up to your own tastes, but I recommend GBA's FA more. And I only got into the series recently, so it's not childhood nostalgia half of Yea Forums has for one of the biggest GBA titles. There's even a Yea Forums banner for it, so it's moot approved.

Attached: 9KaxLYY.gif (300x100, 11K)

The people that made the translation patch suggest ssf and I've been using that for this playthrough. It seems a bit basic as far as emulators go but everything seems to work properly. Some of the music seems a bit weird but I honestly can't remember if it was like that originally on the saturn.

Attached: 1393818243834.jpg (1000x900, 421K)

I just want to try a fantasy\medieval tactics since none of them captured my attention so far. Setting is not really enjoyable for me unlike sci-fi\modern time.

My thoughts are that theres a ridiculously short supply of coop ones

gbaFE. Fire Emblem 7 or Sacred Stones. Be warned FE7 has a long forced tutorial

Don't you mean ODIUM?

Is it better polished than x-com files?

youtu.be/oAdTAsWfmVg
youtu.be/yCvwiyEYHs0
youtu.be/9c3CmbYtT7E
youtu.be/tuy_ncoBhGM

Yes.

yep but its also bigger and have more stuff
x-files bored me fast, x-piratez on the other hand not

youtube.com/watch?v=fZoTlcdMBx4

Cool, thanks man

literally just total war

how is this game Yea Forums

Attached: file.png (460x215, 259K)

Because it's the most RNG-heavy game in the series. Every hit having the potential to be a multi-turn stun or an ejected pilot in a game where you only have 4 wanzers is an absolute pain in the ass.

Front Mission has excellent customization.

>tfw no problem playing aurora and dorf fort but can't seem to get myself into zacktronics games

Another case of "dev locks their game down but when an autist opens it up for everyone to use how they like it breathes new life into and saves the game from the devs own autism"

On the original xbox there was an absolute gem of a game called Gladius

Play that. Easily one of the best games I've ever played. Underrated and unknown as fuck even though it has outstanding reviews.

I heard luct has a very compelling story but lacks combat.

Makes sense. Aurora and Dorf are all about large-scale abstraction. Zachtronics games tend to be about the nitty-gritty minutia.

Boring, and stupid. Just play chess.

Give me all the good ones you have because this genre is absolutely the best. Even though i already played all of them.

What's your opinions on Battle For Wesnoth, anons?

Does anybody have any idea why this game restarts my PC. Like what the hell, with those requirements?

Gimmicks remove all strategy and tactics when theres only one specific way to win. Might as well just call it a puzzle game when theres only one way to beat a the map.

>all the moves has been documented for centuries
>not boring

Are there any new ones since the one where you played as a bad guy?

>uses wrong element and loses battle
>positioned on a geo that weakens you, loses batttle
there are PLENTY of examples of missions in disgaea where you beat a more powerful opponent than you using tactics.

must hurt to be thick as shit eh user

I think I finished the game with lvl 80 Star Mage being the strongest character (Laharl had something like 75 lvl at that point) but I had to re-do the final fight 15 times and the only reason I eventually got through was getting lucky with positioning and RNG (strongest attack was fire-based and I lucked into the boss taking bonus damage from these attacks). Second game is nearly impossible at the end without grinding unless you get the DLC characters.

Which game, other than FE, lets me eugenic my characters to absolute perfection?

the nucom games have tons of customization

it's almost better as a dressup doll game than a tactics game...

Crusader Kings 2

Wait a minute this isn't a Disgaea themed cunny thread what's going on here

For the vast majority of FE games (barring those which have difficulty levels like Lunatic+, which is legitimately a little to reliant on RNG manipulation in places) you can usually minimise risk to the point where you shouldn't need to worry about losing a unit to a stray crit. A lot of them are also capable of being beaten with 0% growths, so even the most unlikely scenario in which you get fully RNG screwed you can still push forward with a little more thought. Same turn reinforcements are BS, I'll give you, but they also aren't present in most of the games.

There is also Agarest War series, but it's quite shit.
Sadly, I don't know SRPG with eugenics other than FE. To think of it, it's quite strange that there isn't any SRPG porn games with this gimmick.

OP did the right thing and didn't post a pic of Etna. It would have devolved into a porn thread if that happened but as it stands we have one of those rare threads where we actually talk about videogames. Even that one shitposter guy was pretty much ignored completely. Threads like this are the reason I keep coming here but they're getting rarer and rarer.

Attached: king gives his opinion on Sega's treatment of the shining force series as a whole.jpg (138x190, 5K)

I wish Sting still made real games, each and every Dept. Heaven game is great (okay, maybe Riviera is a little too generic).

Anybody tried SRPG Studio?

yeah I know, just poking fun is all
For the actual purposes of this thread, I like fresh Disgaea playthroughs for tactics. It's true that the post-game is almost entirely grinding but there are the few levels like the dark world stages and some encounters in the item world at high levels that can be fun too
where the FUCK are the majins god dammit NIS

Youtube-tier comment. You're like that guy that just repeats what people say

>Finath Fucking River

My tactics game of choice.

Are games just doomed to be uglier the more complex they are? I'm sure there's fun to be had it's just a shame we can't have both depth and aesthetics

Scared of a few Chocobos, user?

Have you ever even played Octopath Traveler? There's no positioning/environmental stuff at all. It is just a normal JRPG with a simple/retro aesthetic.

>few (more like 5-6)
>Level 99
>RED FUCKING CHOCOBOS
On a side note, was nice being able to capture a pig for the poaches.

Nothing beats drinking tea in outer space.

damn, this thread is still up? sometimes you guys are alright.

Attached: 1536589287385.gif (200x177, 811K)

the hype around this game comes and goes rapidly, always forgotten every other month

Would Divinity Original Sin count as a tactical RPG? What about Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall?

Don't forget:
>research Psi Tec
>automatically win the game
>op heavy laser
>op blaster launcher
>Braindead AI
>Easy airgame and geoscape section
>late game is a cakewall
As much as I love UFO Defence, it have a bunch of little problems that make this game preaty boring sometimes.
But X-Piratez, Xcom-Files and Final mod fixes all of this bullcarp.
But to be fair, some Jap's TRPG's are good.

Attached: (YELLING AAYLMAO).png (194x248, 138K)

There is a nu-XCOM type game called Massive Chalice that tries to do eugenics. I'm just not too sure if it's any good.

>Massive Chalice
Holy shit I forgot about this. It was quite nice game, getting new classes by eugenics was a fun idea.

Is warlord 3 heroes of eteria and heroes of might and magic 3 count?

Is Phoenix Point going to be released this year?

Fire Emblem is extremely bland, you should try Disgaea instead since there's actually variance in it's settings.

It's pretty telling that when you search for TRPG your search turns up predominantly Japanese sites whereas searching for TTRPG will turn up a bunch of English speaking websites.

Has no one else played Phantom Brave, Soul Nomad or Makai Kingdom? It's odd to me that people complain about Disgaea's grind when NIS made a trio of games focused way more on individual unit placement over numbers and yet no one played any of them. I have to beg people to give Soul Nomad a try when it's one of the best SRPGs to ever exist, fuck.

Attached: D0YFGOEX4AApTE2.jpg (500x500, 51K)

If you were an adult you would understand time management. Learning a language properly takes a FUCK LOAD of time, so doing it just to play video games is kind of stupid. Better than the things most people do, but still stupid.

Attached: what is going on i dont even.jpg (1320x1015, 162K)

>strategy or tactics
I'm sorry retard, but are "maps" and "moving on a grid setup" and "Attacking specific tiles" your definition of "Strategy and Tactics"? Or is it just because you associate that kind of gameplay with games called SRPG and TRPG?

Any game can have strategy and tactics. Theyre called formulating a plan and using your options to overcome a challenge.

Granted, theres less strategy required in a brute force RPG but some games like SMT require apt usage of your press turns and buffs/party to overcome battles otherwise you take a big demon cock down your twink throat.

Attached: Image402.png (691x542, 82K)

I wish Banner Saga was more popular, though I can understand why a lot of people didn't like it.

Attached: notready.jpg (295x333, 30K)

I will tell you why. Because third game was absolute shit. Short and with most shitty conclusion. Waiting like 5 years for another "love story", lol fuck off seriously.

I can understand that. It spends a lot of time building up to an uninteresting conclusion. I still liked it.

It's mentioned every now and then. Mostly positively.

Attached: Stella Glow.gif (679x521, 24K)

Still need to go through NG+ on that game.

I am about to get Sakyua

Its more like Fantasy Star Online Episode 3 but better where you equip cards like weapons or armor to a character and try to run through a map. Its pretty fun. 2 really fixed up the gameplay but personally I liked 1's story better.

Good unless Japanese

I love this genre and I'm just straight up trash at playing it
>feels bad man

Just put GE on my PSP last month.

Iscalio uber alles!

Most SRPGs are more VNs than actual games. Those Tactics Ogre/FFT clones are piss easy and hardly challenging at all (although the isometric graphics and story is good). Fire Emblem is the only SRPG that actually makes things challenging, but only if you care about keeping everyone alive.

Attached: 1375727809022.jpg (200x200, 7K)

Look up Voidspire Tactics on steam. It's like FFT meets Divinity meets a traditional JRPG. Abilities can be used on the overworld for navigation/finding secrets (freeze water to walk across it, grow vines to climb them, light torches to solve puzzles etc). It has the FFT multiclass system with XP to buy skills, and transitions to tactical battles on the same overworld screen when you get within range of roaming monsters. It has Divinity elemental interactions (soak and then shock for big damage, create a turret and then teleport it across the map with a different ability), lots of flexibility.

Shittiest taste of the year.

What is this French Revolution game?

>I'd love to see a game that sort of mixes tactical rpg with turn-based
What does that even mean? Tactical rpgs are already turn-based.

Attached: 1549152541649.jpg (1200x1386, 118K)

Really underrated but its not for everyone. In XF you do more than just bringing out your strongest classes and kill everything on a map as you need certain classes to preform certain task. In a since, every class is useful in some way and not about having the strongest characters all the time. You can also mix different job skills from jobs you've already learned similar to FFT. You basically have to think more and examine the map before you send out your characters and even then, you aren't punished for fucking up because you didn't know how something worked or forgot to equip something and sent back to the title screen.

>Fire Emblem is the only SRPG that actually makes things challenging, but only if you care about keeping everyone alive.
Ok so you've played like 4 SRPGs tops, thanks for exposing yourself.

Attached: 295160581.jpg (256x256, 8K)

>Fire Emblem is the only SRPG that actually makes things challenging

>play fire emblem for the first time
>enemies don't charge you unless you're in their immediate attack range, so you can slowly crawl forward at your leisure and pick off enemies one by one
>one particular enemy didn't even react when I shot him through a wall with an archer. He just stood there motionless in the 3 turns it took to finish him off with ranged attacks.
>bosses similarly don't pose a threat, because they remain glued to the gate/throne they're guarding, so you can just have all your characters surround them and take potshots at them.
>flying units have to move around ground-based enemy units. Why can't they fly over them like they do over obstacles?
>archers can only fire from 1 square away. That means they're essentially not really archers, but just a different flavor of melee attack.
>even magic functions exactly the same as physical attacks. I have yet to see any spell that does anything other than deal single-target damage. And for some reason spellbooks weigh as much as a steel spear.
>some things are just mindless busywork, like having to use healers to constantly cure 1 point of damage just to ensure they don't fall behind xp-wise. Oh, and apparently you have to wait 50 billion turns for units to unlock their support conversation. Are these games designed for autists?
>game consists mostly of dead space, maps are massive but because encounters only happen in close quarters (even archers have a laughably short range), most of your time is just spent mindlessly moving units forward rather than making interesting decisions

Mind you, I am actually finding the game enjoyable to play. It's just that I find it relaxing and pleasant. Which, in a turn-based tactics game, is not exactly a good thing. I should be mentally challenged to come up with new approaches. But that just isn't the case here, with how simple the mechanics are and how downright braindead the A.I. is.

Attached: 1551554266133.png (644x573, 68K)