Was this the best console generation?

Was this the best console generation?

Attached: consoles.jpg (4350x1025, 254K)

No
> PS1, Saturn, N64, PC
This was

There is no definitive best generation but sixth gen sure did have a lot of great hits

>Dreamcast
I literally bought every fucking dreamcast game released back then but it's not really same generation. It was dead before that gen even started.

Possibly, I lot of my favorite games released during this gen so I'd put it up in the top 3.

6th gen may have been the last great generation but it's also the one who ruined video games by virtue of all the newfags it brought in, looking at you Ps2. If you started gaming on 6th gen kill yourself because you're almost certainly a cancer on the industry

i started enjoying games with the NES but i was a late adopter. i skipped the SNES then got an n64 and ps1 somehow. honestly, those consoles were pretty wild and having demo discs of MedEvil and Twisted Metal was pretty neat, same with Spyro, and crash bandicoot. it's weird how everything is so content driven. it really felt more like you popped in a disc and that disc held an entire world. its cringy to say but it was the legit feeling i had growing up with a game system that let you explore in 3d with analog sticks. looking for secrets, exploring, without any real notion of good or bad or what's 10/10 supposed to represent. i really have mixed feelings about that kind of experience being shunted. i can't deny games have improved drastically, but some aspects are missing from them that existed back then that i feel were pretty crucial in enjoy a simple platformer. something like not really caring about much else, not being bombarded with information, and just playing. is that just nostalgia goggles? i think it is but i wanted to discuss it since i really have a strong feeling for the experience. maybe its just not having to buy the game physically anymore that kinda kills the incentive. that and the saturation of so many games? people might try one and say it sucks then drop it after five seconds due to lack of investment on their part, or lack of investment on the developers part too. it's so weird.

4th gen was the best.

Probably just a side effect of getting older and more aware. When I was a kid during the 4th and 5th generation of games, I wasn't really old enough to give a fuck about people going crazy over the jump to 3D. Maybe I found something in N64 and Ps1 games that made them stand out from my SNES games but I played and enjoyed them all in equal measure.

No it's the second best. Current gen is the best

In terms of balance, yeah. Overall though? I wouldn't say so. Other gens were more memorable but were really heavy on one console like the NES or PSX. Only bad choice in the 6th was the XBOX

>Was this the best console generation?
Was I 12 years old during this generation? Then yes. Yes it was.

Attached: 1495651237888.jpg (655x527, 38K)

i can respect that. i've actually planned to emulate a bunch of NES and SNES games due to losing access to my main pc. i was thinking of checking out Link to the Past and Mario World, and Contra III.

based and redpilled

Attached: file.png (382x234, 62K)

I owned all four consoles that gen and xbox was my most played. Please dont talk of things you know nothing about.

Partially. 1998-2002 was the peak of video games.

Xbox had a number of excellent exclusives, though. And the best online and hardware.

>Otogi
>Breakdown
>Phantom Dust
>Panzer Dragoon Orta
>Crimson Skies
>Ninja Gaiden Black
>JSRF

Attached: 2e42b7dcdf903e9a689d2c28f72599a9ab2354b01c0aa63479cf09bfe546f9c4.png (270x400, 148K)

Voodoo Vince

Xbox was a better console than the Dreamcast, in terms of overall game choices. Dreamcast was still good, but it only lasted 2 years and got overshadowed by the rest of the gen.

>Only bad choice was the xbox
Oh you poor fool...

lol go back to resetera, fucking xcucks. retards wish your dumb brick as good as the PS2 or gamecube

Technically speaking the huegbox was superior to both consoles.

I always mistake that for one of those generic multiplat games that came out from that era. But it was published by Microsoft! I might check out the remaster. Those type of gimmicky platformers were very comfy.

Attached: 1548078589861.jpg (500x500, 21K)

>resetera
???
I wish resetera would burn along with the rest of modern "progressivism".

>DURR DURR DURR
that's you guys.

Attached: dumb wojak.png (645x729, 82K)

If you're sonyfag yes.
If you're a nintendofag the SNES
If you're a PC fag the early 00s were the dawn of the golden ages.

Alright wojakposter, whatever, but the question still stands. What does Xbox have to do with resetera?

Yes
/thread

God just shut up and stop replying to me. Fucking retard lol you have no idea where you ever are or who you're even talking to right now

I played it for the first time on PC recently and it's pretty good. I'd highly recommend it if you're a fan of the genre

>Xcuck
Thats how i know you were a fucking baby during sixth gen or possibly not even alive. My original ps2 is still hooked up. OG xbox was based though.

>God just shut up and stop replying to me
Wait are you that shitposter from /vr/? The one that got pissed off over people using flashcarts because they're "illegal"?

Best generation right here. If you haven't beaten every level of Adventure, you will never be more than a filthy casual.

Attached: MzE5OTc0Ng.jpg (1240x694, 241K)

Don't forget the Game Boy Advance

Attached: boombuster.jpg (968x645, 154K)

Better than now at least. Digital distribution killed gaming, fuck Valve

>ITT: Boomers acting like the console their parents bought them for Christmas when they were 12 is still the best thing ever.

Move on, gramps.

Attached: boomer01.jpg (675x601, 106K)

how much of a richboy were you to have your parents let you get a snack and a drink with your movie? It was always "we have food at home"

>tfw your parents did not buy you any of te 4 systems and you missed all the classic of the gen

Attached: 1551032132216.gif (500x324, 2.49M)

I play on PC and thus dont follow peasant generations.

Digital distribution saved gaming from AAA megapublishers by making it easy for smaller developers to self publish. But yes, fuck Valve.

based

not him but my parents bought copied vhs's

Ps4 is the most powerful console and can run 4k at 60 fps do its todays generation.

With mom the treats were just for special occasions like sleepovers. On the one weekend a month I got to stay at dad's house we'd go to the grocery store next door to Blockbuster and fill the cart with junk food and candy and soda and spend all weekend playing games and watching movies and pigging out.

Attached: CIA_boomer.jpg (422x422, 114K)

>MFW it was my heyday
All I have left is playing the modern incarnation of the same PS2 games I played then.

Attached: 795.jpg (300x345, 21K)

Pre made engines like unity are what allow small developers to make games, good indie games would make profit even if gaming were still physical only
>indie games
A and AA was replaced with indie trash

They were killed the minute AAA publishers stopped working with freelance studios, instead choosing to buy out everything in their path. As a result, they became more insular, more incestuous, and overall more scummy towards the end user. We've actually seen this transition happen since as early as the 1990s, when Infogrames was buying out everything imaginable. Now the era of big budget publishers working with development studios, instead of buying them outright is over, and we're in an era where everything is either run by AAA publishers who don't really give a shit anymore, or indie devs who lack the budget to really do anything.

>wojak poster has zero arguments
like clockwork

Unity/Unreal is part of it but it wouldn't help too much if they were still signing 80% to a publisher for any chance to get noticed. AA games didn't go anywhere and A games are basically just high production value indie games these days.

>low-poly 3D ends as developers finally have enough resources to make what they more or less intended to ever render in 3D
>Dreamcast goes out in a blaze of glory with one of the greatest arcade perfect port libraries ever conceived but marred with a shit controller
>Gamecube is Nintendo at their most experimental for better or worse, but ultimately shat the bed thanks to retarded disc format choice and questionable controller that only shined for Melee
>PS2 utterly dominated the format by not being completely retarded and just shoveling out 7-9s all around even if it came with a metric fuckton of shovelware
>Xbox had virtually no exclusives worth a shit that weren't from SEGA or Halo, but made up for it by having a fucking Hard Drive, custom soundtracks for games that allowed it, and almost always the best multiplats
It was a very good gen overall, but 5th gen was still the best.

Xbox had a tonne of great exclusives

wii was waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy more experimental. gamecube was the last non gimmicky console

8/10 bait, made me reply

I'd say it was the last of the best generation of consoles.

Attached: 1550112193661.png (555x644, 553K)

But mode 3 is sometimes unbeatable on account of the randomizer.

Get good.

the gamecube at least was definitely the creative peak for nintendo.

This nigga gets it.

Attached: 1356011272588702.gif (280x250, 2.58M)

For me it's 4th generation, but gens 2-6 were all rad af.

Every console was great and PC gaming was at it's peak. Take me back.

Objectivity, yes.

SNES is objectively the best console ever though.

Attached: 64564564.png (532x398, 367K)

man any family that had a VHS copier must have loved blockbuster

SNES/Genesis > PS1/N64/Saturn > This gen > DC/Xbox/PS2/GC > NES = 360/PS3/wii

Attached: 1419916172292.jpg (609x767, 72K)

yes, but solely because of the PS2

What was the last "Real" era of gaming here?

Attached: 1549505718815.jpg (2590x4061, 1.27M)

yes, today, the console industry has no soul

i'd say this or 5th gen yeah

You could endlessly debate about which was the best but I would say with confidence this was the last console gen before it all went to shit.

7th gen

everyone here is too cynical. this gen was good.

Early zoomer still had some good stuff but went sideways at some point mid-way through. Things then somehow managed to get even worse towards the end of core zoomer.

yes

Id say around 2010 for the wii and 360. The ps3 just had janky shitty cinematic games for trash in new york and san fagcisco. Just failed abortion games from failed cucks who couldnt make it to hollywood. And now this style of game, games where you slowly walk and theres a narrator, or where youre hammered with story, or are supposed to feel emotions run rampant with the ps4 as the industry leader. Ninja gaiden 2 is probably the most pure game experience of 7th gen and i love it.

The one made for CRTs

Attached: nucolor_slow.gif (320x240, 263K)

>$8 for a fucking candybar
i miss blockbuster for the niche nostalgia but godamn

yeah uh, do you have a brain tumor or somethin?

The original Xbox is the best XBox. They haven't come close to being that great since.

Is the current generation the worst?

Attached: 1536620314583.png (2560x1440, 1.11M)

>yeah uh, do you have a brain tumor or somethin?

What's wrong with that grouping?

This was the last gen where making video games was halfway affordable, after this came PS3/360 which sent the cost of game development through the fucking roof. a single ps3 game reportedly costed millions to publish

In terms of the experiences games can deliver, there is a lot to dig into and quality is through the roof

socially though? i fucking hate the community and industry that surround this hobby, i hate that games are being altered before AND after release thanks to moral harpies

Nah, the golden ages are right now if you're a PC fag.

>actually being retarded enough to buy literally ANY snacks at a Blockbuster
>not getting snacks from the nearby grocery or convenience store that was always connected to the Blockbuster
It's like you DON'T want to get the most bang out of your extremely limited allowance buck.

Attached: 1549013543819.jpg (500x465, 36K)

PC golden age already passed, it was when there was no Denuvo and ROM sites / TPB were fully alive and active. Now Denuvo makes piracy more tedious, ROM sites were killed by Nintendo, and TPB is seemingly on proxy-lifesupport

arguably 4th gen is really bad, outside of Genesis and SNES every other console was absolute trash

>Poorfag detected.
Pirating games was and still is a pain in the ass. Why would PC gamers do that now that they have real jobs and can afford to by hundreds of games on Steam?