How the fuck did Horizon Zero Dawn sell 8 million units?

How the fuck did Horizon Zero Dawn sell 8 million units?

Attached: 1488722997903.jpg (3840x2160, 621K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.us.playstation.com/2019/02/28/horizon-zero-dawn-celebrates-second-anniversary-10-million-copies-sold-worldwide/
dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/593742/PS4-MEGA-DEAL-Argos-selling-Slim-with-Horizon-Zero-Dawn-and-controller-for-under-200
psnprofiles.com/trophies/5879-horizon-zero-dawn
psnprofiles.com/trophies/3431-bloodborne
gamstat.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sonywhores will literally eat any shit that sony hands to them, it's hilarious.

I don't know, but I bought the Complete Edition for 20 bucks last year. Played it for about 7 hours, I was really liking what I played, but then I just stopped. Haven't went back to it. I gotta say, it reeks of that nu-millenial hipster shit that's all over games now. Like the hairstyles they give to men now, like the dude on the front of BLOPS4, and how they ugly up girls faces now on purpose. It's all over that game.

The appeal of fighting giant robot dinosaurs is strong enough to carry a game to that many sales apparently.

it's fun and the savvy consumer has learned that sony exclusives are almost always good

Attached: 1551916302428.jpg (577x927, 303K)

ironic

Attached: a.jpg (259x195, 11K)

t. Xbox senior executive

>talks about superficial, nonsensical bullshit
>says absolutely nothing about the gameplay

>Bundled with hardware
>PS+
>Counting shipped as sold-through

You can do that in ARK and I don't see anyone clamoring about that game.

Graphic whores.
It might sound like a PC thing at first, but ALL consoles have graphic whores.
Even the Wii had graphic whores (remember the conduit?)
They bought this game just to see "the peak of the PS4 power"

I liked it. The story was neat and the combat was alright. Not amazing but it did okay. I'd give it a 7. Aloy was a crap MC, though.

The gameplay is the same shallow waist-high cover TPS you've played 1000 times

But oh, wait, we have a SKILL TREE! So different!

PC and X cucks literally seething

>being too broke to afford a PC
>still care deeply about graphics
Must be suffering.

>muh graphics
>muh deep and intensive story
>muh open world

There's a few more "muhs" down the line, but I think that does it for the most part. Ironically it's similar to why Breath of the Wild sold, except it also had the Zelda brand and Nintendo seal on it, so it was far more successful.

The Conduit was the only video game I have ever played that made me motion sick. It made me physically ill to play it, like when brain was swelling up inside my skull. I've played games for 30 years, it has never happened to me before that or since.

This. Especially that last one.

It was a goo game. If Aloy was cute it would have sold 16 million.

If Aloy looked like a prehistoric Lara Croft, it would be talked about as one of the best exclusive games of this generation.

Can I have some Ryona content?

They forced a free copy on anyone who bought a PS4 and that counts as sales

It's not always about money, sometimes is just fucking sheer dumb hype.
Last generation had an entire army of people that would believe that no PC on earth was able to go against a PS3 because it had the CELL PROCESSOR, and that it would beat any PC any time of day.

Also dropped to bargain-bin prices after ~6 months

Thats like calling Vanquish a Third-Person cover shooter, You *might* have the option, but its hardly the encouraged or even the optimal way to play

Attached: Horizon Zero Dawn™_20180311040143.png (1920x1080, 2.42M)

it was a pretty good game with an interesting concept and gameplay for the most part

Zelda actually tried to do something with its gameplay and systems and wasn't the same Ubisoft automated crap every western open-world game seems fascinated with that prioritizes visual fidelity above all else

they are completely different games. I don't want to dig in mud for 15 hours before I can craft a stick and kill a beaver. then I have to sit around a sleepign dino feeding it or some shit what the fuck is this even I just want to fight shit

has anyone ever been gone do to look more like etc

The old Tomb Raiders were good because the gameplay was good, they tried something new or at least focused on gameplay before anything else

Horizon is the opposite, it cares way too much about its presentation and story while gameplay is the same shit we've seen a million times

Game still isn’t optimized for shit

Should have sold more than 8m units with Sony having sold 80m+ PS4 consoles

They do that with pretty much any exclusive. Doesn't mean Bloodborne went far past 3 million sales by 2017 after they dropped it to 20/35 for the standard and complete editions respectively

dem buttcheeks doe

>8 million
it's 10 million
blog.us.playstation.com/2019/02/28/horizon-zero-dawn-celebrates-second-anniversary-10-million-copies-sold-worldwide/

Attached: Talanah.jpg (640x640, 106K)

Prices drop because the games stop selling, western AAA games not named GTA or FIFA tend to sell most of the copies they ever sell in their launch window. Horizon had pretty decent legs relative to other western AAA games.

People always crap on Nintendo for not dropping prices but the games sell for years, but why should they drop the price to $20-30 before the game has sold even half of what it will sell over its lifetime?

I never understood the hatred of the Game.

I remember those days, shame this gen had potatoes for consoles but it helped PC do well from the get go

10m is still low compared to the marketing and media attention this game received along side 80m consoles

There was no fucking games at all when it came out. The months around it was dry as well.

And its not just Sony, MS loves to count people using its gamepass too.

It sold ten million my bad. How the hell is it the top PS4 game in sells

Attached: Screenshot_20190307-180513.png (480x854, 69K)

You can tell you haven't played the game.

It has has SJW/Fourth wave feminism all over it

It's interesting how horrificly ugly odyssey looks on consoles. I'm playing the game at 4k 60 with mostly ultra settings and it looks like a completely different game.

I never understood why you can't romance in the game.

Woke garbage should be doing bad not good In the term of sells.

Seething. I can tell you're seething really hard.

Lol coping

First of it didn't have abundle on release, also there are many bundles to choose from yet they chose this game also there are cheaper non-bundle options

It was not free on PS+

and finally retailers bought 10 million cause of high demand, doesn't matter if every single copy doesnt go to someones hands. Sony got their money from the retailer

I wish these list were more updated
Uncharted 4 would have easily past 10 million by now
it did 8.7 from not even a full year, and has been out longer than HZD
the God of War numbers are only from the launch month

Attached: sarah and deacon.jpg (1280x720, 129K)

I ended up just rushing through this game as fast as I could because I paid for it, might as well complete it. It had its moments but it was mostly mediocre.

>retailers bought 10 million cause of high demand
that's not how it works, retard

Attached: tenor (6).gif (498x249, 2.39M)

You didn't get that far, but you are right about it reeking of nu-male shit. If you play it again you'll notice that every single man in the game are bumbling retards and every single woman you can talk to is strong, smart, and independent. It's also funny that all the men in this post-apocalyptic game except for the antagonists have californian sòyboy voices, like they just plucked the VAs from the dev team.

Horizon gets a lot of shit here, mostly because it’s a solid Sony exclusive that PC fags will never be able to run on their *superior* machines. Fighting the machines is genuinely fun and intense, the stealth is ok and the visuals are stunning. The story takes a very strange and retarded turn when you discover what Zero Dawn really is.

7.5/10 game I enjoyed it.

So why did you shitty weeb garbage like nier automata not ship out 10 million units :)

Nice try.
Why are poeple saying that Aloy is unattractive?

Why do snoys type like Neanderthals?

dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/593742/PS4-MEGA-DEAL-Argos-selling-Slim-with-Horizon-Zero-Dawn-and-controller-for-under-200

Maybe not officially a "bundle" but there were plenty of "buy a console, get this game for free" offers at release.

My question is about the politics in Western games like this and why are people buying it if most people are complaining about the politics

Because the average video game consumer is a brain dead retard, a child, or both.

The biggest problem this gen was not hardware, but money.
Basically, it is a lot cheaper to invest in new ways to rob money from the kids than pushing the statest of the state of the art graphics, so that's pretty much what everyone but the first party sony games did.
And they only did it to convince people the PS4 was somehow more powerful than the other consoles and PC.

I got a copy for 7 dollars, that's why I bought it.

Attached: 1445605187844s.jpg (125x100, 2K)

I'm glad, that's always done horribly in games
it's always forced and not needed
romance options are what ruined bioware, every interview with them always devolves into who can your characters fuck, and if all npcs are bi, or gay
then the usual outcry from making everybody gay, or not enough people gay, or being gay the wrong way
fuck that shit

>games that other people play is Nintendo fans eating shit
I don't get it

Because they knew it wouldn't sell 10 million copies, they shipped what they thought they'd sell

Publishers overship games all the time, the first Destiny, for example, saw millions of its copies rotting on shelves not long after release leading to Activision getting tons of them back because it sold under their expectations

Attached: Switch_NintendoLabo_VRKit_ToyConBlaster.jpg (800x800, 40K)

Ass so phat it bends shadows

>Basically, it is a lot cheaper to invest in new ways to rob money from the kids
This is the industry from now on, and we have people who bought or were ambivalent about DLC and loot crates to blame

>Played it for about 7 hours, I was really liking what I played, but then I just stopped.
That describes every Ubisoft-like game, including Ubisoft titles of course. It's fun for a few hours and then bam, you're just done with it because there's nothing new from then on. Horizon, Far Cry 4+, AC: Origins, etc. are all the same in that way.
The story is usually boring as balls in those games too, AC: Origins was the worst for it.

Bundles and Sonnyggers have incredibly low standards.

Wow a non nane retailer you got me, why is hard to accept people like the game?

You realize Horizon was developed in the Netherlands, right?
Because people on this board like to act that every female in games with modest imperfects is a scorn on society or that they don't find them hot even if the girl looks perfectly fine

And its because they focus almost entirely on visuals and story instead of the actual game itself

Gameplay is there because it has to be and is as accessible as possible so as many people as possible will buy the game

>like they just plucked the VAs from the dev team.
the devs are from Amsterdam, not California

Attached: Erend.jpg (1024x576, 105K)

>No-name retailer
>Argos
I'm a fucking Amerimutt and I know Argos, they're a huge chain

>8 million
it's "well over" 10 million

>how
HZD is a good game with fun ranged combat and great robot enemy design. If the sequel improves melee combat and human AI it'll be top tier

Attached: 626b792c19845fa604fd2fe29119dc6f[1].jpg (236x393, 16K)

Yes us high standard pc gamers were buying PUBG in mass

>fun ranged combat
The projectiles aren't even actual projectiles, its an animation

all sales figures are reported as shipped, get over it. PS+ doesn't count shipped either

Attached: apu.png (671x519, 146K)

Horizon Zero Dawn is the definitive PS4 game for me. Angry shitters on this website talk about alloy being ugly or something about SJW but it's a legit fun, challenging and engaging video game. Every piece of equipment is useful, the world doesn't feel empty, higher difficulties require strategy, the variety in option is fun, the game's full of lore that is accessed in a organic way and the story is 8/10.

Have you guys fucking played it? It's a masterpiece.

Attached: 1396168683461.gif (352x199, 1.79M)

this, Yea Forums will get butthurt at this statement though

and?

are you saying HZD was overshipped?
the game sold 7.5 million in the first year
and then continued selling another couple million in the next
that's clearly not from just launch copies, retailers ordered more reprints

But the politics

Because it was a good game. Not the best, but all around solid.

Except for fighting human enemies. Ungodly stupid and nowhere near a problem as robots.

Playing through it now and it is visually stunning at times. Gameplay is basic but the robodinos are fun to fight so it hasn't got boring yet. About 20 hours in and the story hasn't hooked me yet. Every time I talk to someone and the game goes into the bioware -conversation system, I want to die because of how badly everything is animated. Aloy is also incredibly dull and I think a silent protagonist would be more interesting.
Finding it hard to find motivation to pick the game back up anymore.

>cause of
Average snoy is 12 apparently

this

easily one of the best games of this gen

That price drop helped, but by principle I'm not touching it for more than 5$.

bundles
People buy a PS4, get HZ for free but it still gets counted as a sale.

Alright, it was a Californian voice acting agency then. Are you really going to the voices you hear in this game Dutch?

>no argument so fixated on grammar

Are you 10 year old on youtube circa 2008?

>Why are poeple saying that Aloy is unattractive?
Because Sony intentionally made her uglier to please SJWs

The protagonist is seriously ugly. Like, downs syndrome tier.

Why isn't Aloy not attractive looking?

They're generally twitter deep.

Thats one of the issues when they didn't introduce Gyro Controls. Since you aim with a mixture of dual analog, and dual analog in slow mo, you'll often see arrows curve to the left or right as a form of aim correction. Not ideal, I hope for a Horizon 2 that they take a queue from BotW for having projectile based arrows, but for a first go around, hitscan worked. Especially since you have arrows that need to go so fast as to actually damage metal robots.

Attached: Horizon Zero Dawn™_20180310224605.png (1920x1080, 2.99M)

But what does this mean for the video game industry in the west if the woman aren't attractive looking?

are there any ps4 games that utilize gyro? Seems weird that the ps4 controller has it but none of the games I play utilize it

Why did he like her?
>uglier
realistic
Fix it for you.

ive probably spent at least 10 hours in this game just using photo mode desu

When you have nothing else to play, you get desperate.

>ESL wants to be taken seriously
Lol

Are you blind?

Don't be rude to Bully in drag.

no one said the voices were Dutch dumb ass
you said voices sound like they were picked from the dev team. that makes no sense considering where the studio is from
but keep moving those goal posts

Bloodborne didn't sell anywhere near 8 million though, normies just eat up open world games even if they're generic shit.

>realistic
Nope. Uglier

Just Say SJW, that's what it is. HZD is one of the most Resetera games ever.

Because of all the hawp fans. Not only that but all the sjw hype as well.

but the female lead tribe is shown as being fucking retards compared to the male led one

SunhiLegends gifs

>Especially since you have arrows that need to go so fast as to actually damage metal robots.
the arrowheads are made from the same metal as the robots
speed matters, but it's not like normal arrows can't do this

I liked it. :)

normal arrow speeds I mean

Fucks a ESL

>one of the best graphics of this generation
>original gameplay concept
>solid art design
>backed by Sony
>open world with high potential
>female lead

Its a highly marketable game. And despite what you contrarians say the game delivered on a lot of fronts.

Astrobot and any Media Molecule game are the first that come to mind, but not any shooters. Even the VR version of RE7 uses the Gyro of the head instead of the gyro of the controller for aiming

psnprofiles.com/trophies/5879-horizon-zero-dawn
>sub 400K owners
psnprofiles.com/trophies/3431-bloodborne
>over 500K owners
I don’t understand

Attached: DAD8FEDA-A77C-487D-B516-013422A41114.jpg (498x499, 40K)

Bloodborne was free on PS+

is this an official site

Is it locked to a certain region? The information compiled by Gamstat says ~11 million bloodborne players and ~14 million Horizon players had trophy information on their accounts. Does not mean every account bought the game, bit probably a lot closer to the actual sales numbers gamstat.com/

So basically teenagers in adult bodies?

Shit taste I see.
Also I don't understand where SJW and 23 feminist wave is coming from.

it's all about PS+
that site doesn't track every single owner of the games, only those that are manually updated in the first place
there's less than 4 million gamers tracked in total on there
the numbers will always be flawed
Bloodborne was given on PS+, while HZD wasn't
the people who trophy hunt will absolutely take advantage of PS+ games, so it skews heavily towards that
if you notice in the popular games of this week, MW2 remaster is up top, and The Witness is in top 20
both are on PS+ this month, Hitman and For Honor were last months and still in top 10 as well

Attached: yakuzies.webm (1920x1080, 2.93M)

>like they just plucked the VAs from the dev team.
Rost was literally the same person who did Dojima in P4

Attached: 1357526774895.png (600x600, 110K)

>sony exclusives are almost always good
gee I sure do like AAA moviegames

>How the fuck did Horizon Zero Dawn sell 8 million units?

There was literally nothing else to buy for the console at the time.

>PSNProfiles is not affiliated with Sony or PlayStation in any way
literally on every page of the site

>Breath of the Wild

Pretty incredible that BoTW is probably at 12M sold by now

I'm sure people bought zelda for the story and shitty nintendo graphics

you can say the same for horizon, the combat has a lot of nuance and depth compared to ubishit

Turns out it's a good game. And it makes incels seethe which is a nice bonus.

Fucking ugly cunt

It's a game that promised you would fight giant robot dinosaurs with a bow. It had excellent graphics, good gameplay and passable story. So yea, it was a solid 8/10 that had good marketing and a fun gimmick.

Nier Automata, Resident Evil 7, Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush and Nioh all released around the same time as Horizon Zero Dawn
plenty to play

Attached: 1546474434124.jpg (2560x1440, 1.51M)

>MUH SJW HORIZON
>tribe led by females are retarded while the male led tribes are the only shred of civilization

>MUH GOD OF ONIONS
>all testosterone, importance of father/son relationships, biggest retard is the only female character in the game who isn't dead

I will never tire of how asshurt sony makes Yea Forums

Attached: kratos punch.png (631x544, 442K)

it had the non-shit version of nier automata (still not fixed on PC without mods), yakuza, and nioh. I'd say that's more games than what xbone/switch have had in a similar timescale with the exception (march-december 2017 switch was good though)

hilarious that people still perpetuate the no games meme for playstation when consoles like the xbone exists. Switch has been shit too outside of a great 2017

Attached: malos laugh.png (564x594, 483K)