How come this game's melancholy is so comfy

how come this game's melancholy is so comfy

Attached: 200px-Silent_Hill_2_-_North-american_cover.jpg (200x285, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE
widescreenfix.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/
youtu.be/fFVwI487ORo
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc
pastebin.com/6B3qZs4S
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because it's oldschool survival-horror, which is comfy and non-rushing.
At the same time, it's made in Japan, in early 00s, and thus lacks all the identity-politics drama modern, western trash suffers of.

>which is comfy and non-rushing.
That only applies to silent hill, though, Resident Evil 2 was full to the brim with speedrun modes. 2B and 3 had tyrants chasing you constantly, also.

>That only applies to silent hill, though,
Nope. Even Resident Evil included, or rather, INVENTED, the comfy- horroran', filled with human emotions and politeness.
Even SH has plenty of speedrun potential if you're into that, and PH is pretty much the same as the Tyrants, which BTW were NOT chasing you 24/7 nor unbeatable like in the nu-RE2.

Nemesis pretty much is, Mr. T usually isn't. You won't get that nigger off your back until the very end of the game. And they do exactly what was described, keep you from exploring at your own leisure.
But let's stay on topic and talk about Silent Hill, and how the first one is horribly underrated.

>Nemesis pretty much is,
You can both run and gun him away, and he doesn't get in your way during puzzling sections.

>let's stay on topic and talk about Silent Hill, and how the first one is horribly underrated.
It's the best game, one of the spookiest games ever, and plebs ignore it just because "muh graphix", and because most YT e-celebs don't foam about it nonstop like they do with 2.

Attached: SH1 -Darkie.jpg (2540x1429, 382K)

it's the recognizable and textured sense of place

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 11.45.43 AM.png (635x475, 257K)

He gets in your way during backtracking, which is especially grating if you don't know the game well. The entire point is to keep you moving and to force you to find alternate routes. The objective is clearly to get you going and establish a sense of urgency in the game.
As for Silent Hill, I think it's amazing how it managed to deliver much more atmosphere and creepy visuals without using pre-rendered backgrounds, and used fixed camera angles as a stylistic choice and not out of necessity.

Silent Hills and many other horror titles of the late 90s and early 00s inherited a lot of the old adventure-games' DNA. They put a lot of attention on the environments, and ensure that players get familiar with them, encouraging and enforcing exploration. Thus, the locations themselves become like "main characters" of their own, with whom you may end up wanting to spend time with, rather than rushing forward towards the next setpiece of some sort like in modern games.

Attached: sh2 PC 60fps heaven's night club.webm (960x540, 2.84M)

>most YT e-celebs don't foam about it nonstop like they do with 2
SH2 is gonna be one of those works that end up a victim of their own reputation. a lot of this comes from people who hear the informed opinion is to talk about what a masterpiece it is, but they're indifferent to the series or genre. 1 and 3 are way too good to go overlooked solely because 2 tried a couple original ideas with its storytelling.

I will finish it on PSP during my next assignment trip

Melancholy is comfy.

>He gets in your way during backtracking,
Nemmy's appearance's pretty damn well timed and partitioned throughout the game. He pops up just when you're getting too comfy, and if you got skills and / or gear, you can also have him take a nap for the entire section you're in.

Attached: 1551545072383.jpg (1823x2048, 328K)

>will finish it on my PSP
A bit of waste on such a tiny screen. Hope you're at least using headphones.
Also, didn't PSP lack L2 / R2 buttons? I feel like that could slightly hinder the experience, though I guess ya could just live without the totally optional strafing.

Attached: 1542695184073.jpg (1907x1790, 224K)

I played it recently for the first time and thought it was shit. Graphics are dated, the plot is basic and the main character is an obnoxious faggot.

DMC1 is like that for me too. Sometimes I'll just sit around in an area after defeating everything to just enjoy the atmosphere and music.

>and the main character is an obnoxious faggot.
so you identified with him? lol

Just got a new PC. Can someone post the Silent Hill images?

One of the reasons I still prefer the 1st game over the sequels.

>graphics are dated
Wow, a nearly 20yo console game has "dated" graphics? Color me surprised!

>plot is basic
on what level? Also, this game pretty much invented the tropes that might be overused nowadays.

>MC is obnoxious
how so?

Also, did you skip SH1 or something?

That'd be at least possible if he had a personality of some sort

GOT HIM

Attached: Mike.jpg (640x360, 28K)

The SH PC Guide? Sure:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

>SH2 PC fixes site:
widescreenfix.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/
>tl;dr how to install this shit video tutorial + bare essentials pack:
youtu.be/fFVwI487ORo

SH3 DDL:
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
DON'T use W10's own virtual disc app! Don't install under C:\Program Files\ !
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.

All the info & links you'll ever need:
pastebin.com/6B3qZs4S

Follow the SH2 widescreen fix site's instructions to the teeth, and you should be fine.
For 3 & 4, check the Guide.

Play the games in release order, and don't play on Easy mode.
Multiple playthroughs per game is very recommended.
Lower the in-game Brightness, crank up volume.
Turning OFF flashlight helps a ton!

Attached: SH PC Guide 3th July 2018 v2.1 sml.jpg (1900x8087, 2.72M)

It borrowed heavily from Twin Peaks in terms of atmospheric direction, which basically codified how comfy melancholy is done. David Lynch's sense of aesthetics is absolutely fantastic and pretty much everything that manages to successfully realize a similar feel is guaranteed to be an engaging experience.

Attached: King Harkinian cigar.gif (360x238, 2.17M)

He has personality. You apparently just don't quite understand the idea of nearly PTSD-tier grieving and delusional minds.

Because of art and music.

I replayed SH3 couple years back and was actually surprised how well it held up. SH2 on the other hand is sub-part on many levels. The music is god-tier though obviously.
>how so?
The voice acting is partially to blame for that. Also some lines he says are pretty dumb and he was even tricked by little girl at some point, I dunno.
>on what level?
I kinda expected more from it. Turns out he killed his wife and even had somewhat good reasons for that. To me it wasn't enough to create this kind of personal hell. I expected something more disturbing. Also the character wasn't really that well explored

If he does how he expresses it throughout? Most of the dialogues are not even about him

Yeah it reminded me of Lost Highway

because you are an self-pitying self-loathing depressed individual

>The voice acting is partially to blame for that.
I don't understand. The acting's pretty much on-point, full of subtle nuances, rather than having the nowadays generic over-acting or nonstop monotonous groaning to the mic.

>I kinda expected more from it.
I guess I can understand that, but I'm not so sure about the reasons for your case.

>To me it wasn't enough to create this kind of personal hell
But to him, it was. I also guess that the ending you got can also greatly affect your viewpoint on the game's story and James' character.
Also, back in 2001, next to no games had even played with the idea of letting the player play as the story's "bad guy".

>Also the character wasn't really that well explored
Oh, it is explored alright. It's just not spoonfed to you.
You really need to start exploring the environments, the documents you find in the world, and even realize the blatant, visual symbolism in every element of the game.
That's all mirroring James Sunderland.

>dialogues
You are a bit too focused on generic cutscenes.
Just examining a random pile of alcohol bottles in the Heaven's Night reveals much more of Jimbo's behavior than half the acted script.

Attached: Mary1.jpg (1280x718, 237K)

i love this post

>The acting's pretty much on-point, full of subtle nuances
It's possible that I played some shitty version of the game then. Alright I won't hold it against it
>But to him, it was
Regardless, I found this kind of pay-off pretty underwhelming.

>They put a lot of attention on the environments, and ensure that players get familiar with them, encouraging and enforcing exploration
LOL Gone Home did exactly that and you faggots hate it

>It's possible that I played some shitty version of the game then.
The only "oh nonono..." case would be the notorious "HD Collection" on the PS3 and X360, though I would have hoped that the decade-long preaching against that turd would've worked by now.

>I found this kind of pay-off pretty underwhelming.
The thing is, what he's going through is exactly what he wants.

Completely different thing, you know?

>The only "oh nonono..." case would be the notorious "HD Collection"
It was a PC version. Some Director's Cut

Anything before the 2010's 7th gen HD ports are a-OK, all original and good.

So yeah... I guess it's just you.

SH1 is top comfy.
I love just floating around in the empty houses and shops.

Attached: 1544050117556.jpg (604x409, 28K)