This game was nowhere near as bad as people made it out to be

This game was nowhere near as bad as people made it out to be.

Attached: star-wars-the-old-republic-game-box-cover.jpg (763x636, 111K)

Being a jedi was comfy. The voice acting really did add a lot to the world, it made it feel real and alive despite the crappy graphics and animations.

You don't what you have till it's gone, as they say.

:v)

Attached: ebin.gif (500x500, 1.71M)

its a great single player mmo

The problem is they sunk a shit ton of money into it and it didn't really go anywhere. Yeah, Tortanic is a fucking meme, but it's honestly only ok at best despite it all. I still enjoy playing through the stories now and again.

Sith warrior storyline is unironically kino and every storyline is better than Nu-Wars garbage

Star Trek Online did “single player MMO” better. I will play devils advocate and at least say I was pretty jaded about a SW MMO after they fucking ruined Galaxies for the fuck of it. It was a pretty piss poor follow up either way

To be fair Bioware had nothing to do with Galaxies being ruined.

Sith Warrior, Bounty Hunter, and Agent are top tier.

Nah it was pretty mediocre
>uninspired tab-target gameplay
>only decent Republic story is the Trooper
>barren maps with little to do inbetween speeder stops
>everything interesting about Voss scrapped
>complete disappointment with Belsavis and Ilum
>asinine curb checks with planet traveling in F2P
>Travel to Hoth
It's not like it was all bad. PvP was decent, the dungeons and raids were great, and Starfighter was fun while it lasted, but overall it was as much of a letdown as people made it out to be.

True but i was still pissed about it and TOR looked like a new version of the same generic MMO that they turned Galaxies into

I didn't mind Consular past act 1, I just wish Nolan North would wake the fuck up in that fucking booth as the voice actor for the male. I like diplomacy shit and the whole "rally an army for Corellia" scene was fucking great. Also in my opinion the biggest problem with the Smuggler story is that you're literally just Han Solo. Like yeah the rest are all archetypes but you are literally JUST Han Solo, you even get a wookie. They should have had more fun with it.

It's a based game, I only downloaded it a couple weeks ago and play it every other day. I won't be paying for a subscription but I've been enjoying it thus far. Makes you wonder about the retards freaking out when it launched as if it is the worst thing in the world, it's not bad.

I just wish Knights of the Old Republic 2 weren't pretty much ignored in the game.

>retards freaking out when it launched
The knock on SWTOR wasn't that it was bad. It was that EA spent a shitload of money on it and it wasn't a WoW-killer. It was just a generic MMO with some good writing and VA.

What do you mean?

I honestly can't blame Nolan North. The guy has amazing range, but they probably asked him to act like that to fit the Jedi character and because they wanted people to recognize the actor.

I guess, but it's kind of hard to tolerate. I mean yeah I get it, he's a jedi keeping passion in control for tranquility and yadda yadda. But even when he's doing emotional shit, and his lines reflect as such, he's still mundane and bored-sounding. I actually believe you're correct and they merely told him to voice the lines like that, but it wasn't a good idea.

>only decent Republic story is the Trooper
Most people consider Trooper the worst pub story, with Consular only slightly higher.

I would play it if it were totally free

Based

Attached: STO the sci-fi mmo that doesnt take all your money.jpg (719x544, 313K)

They're both pretty terrible. JK is probably the best Republic-side, and it's not that good either.

JK is basically closest to Kotor3 would have been like, the others can be enjoyed depending on taste and how you play.
I played Trooper as a loose cannon who plays by his own rules, making the whole storyline into an 80s action movie, and a slutty smuggler who flirted and fucked every option available except Corso, good times.

in the beginning yes it fucking was

Fuck Jedi. Light Side Sith was maximum comfy.

Unless your playing Sith Sorcerer, DS all the way for the amusing dialogue and [shock] choices.

Attached: Sheev.gif (600x255, 3.67M)

At launch, it most certainly was.

>never played the game before but its been on my radar
>game suddenly goes f2p
>decide to download it to try and imitate the fun I used to have in Galaxies
>cool I guess I will RP as a rodian bounty hunter like before
>enter character creation
>no rodians
>the will to keep playing leaves before I even start playing
>exit game, forget about it for a month, then uninstall

Attached: Greedo.jpg (505x714, 441K)

is it still alive? what happened after that alien dyson sphere-like planet that i killed Scorpio on?

Attached: gamingrig.png (974x539, 696K)

There have been hints they might be switching to another engine soon

>>the will to keep playing leaves before I even start playing
I feel bad for you. Not because you might've missed out on an alright game, but because they didn't have a simple species that could've easily been put into the game. SWTOR really is bare bones.

>that image
pls be ironic

oh it's real

Attached: auction.jpg (956x1166, 328K)

ok, this is epic.

Nah. It was pretty shit. But I enjoyed my time choosing [Force Lightntning] as a dialogue option as much as possible on my Inquisitor, and cartoonishly turning a jedi master evil in about 5 minutes.

Attached: thank you jesus.png (439x546, 524K)

Yeah. It was a little disappointing. I'll be waiting patiently for someone to make a star wars RPG with good character customization and some fun non jedi classes. I think I'll be waiting for a long... long time. Thankfully my hopes of that game are getting easier to forget the longer time goes on.

Attached: SWG.jpg (530x284, 69K)

The Jedi Knight Story is basically Kotor 3, with the Yavin 4 and Ziost as expansions

For starters, you have to consider the things it had going for it: $300M budget, set in one of the most popular media franchises ever, sequel to a classic game, the next WoW, you name it. It would be nonsensical to judge it on the standards of "just another game": we're not talking about yet another cargo ship no one gives a shit about, but an ocean liner that was supposed to represent the pinnacle of luxury.

Then again, even if you did unreasonably lower your expectations, it's still bad. For starters, aside from pretending to be a single player RPG (which is fundamentally incompatible with theme park MMO aspects of the game, compromising both), it's a pretty strict clone of WoW. That's kinda damning on its own right, but somehow it managed to fuck up everything WoW is actually good at (like responsiveness, UI, etc). In some regards it was a critical failure, like built-in .5s latency at launch (+I have a general objection to lightsaber ballet animations as opposed to WoW-like clear and instantaneous feedback to your input: after a hundred hours novelty wears off, this is one of the prime reasons for WoW's longevity and why other games don't "feel right" in comparison).

And besides the game and its content being mediocre to bad at their core, there is/was a bunch of exceptionally pathetic bits that really earned it status of a laughing stock. Like dancing making you invulnerable. Of course there's the reactions of Biodrones as well that made the game particularly easy to mock.

But seriously, if you consider what the game perfectly reasonably could and should have been like, I think even people mocking it were giving it too much credit (like, you had ONE JOB of cloning WoW, but then you miss all the good bits). And if you treat it "just another game", it's still pretty bad. Whether you managed to gain some enjoyment from one aspect or another, that doesn't change the objective fact that it's just a generally poorly designed and made game.

Attached: 1340592080373.jpg (525x755, 93K)

The Blizzdrones is out in force today.

>GT 520

Well christ with all that power at his fingertips how could it have problems?

I only play it to romance Lana

What happened to star fighter?

Yes it was.

No. It was far worse

I loved the sith warrior storyline. Being a sith on the light side was really great.

fuck all of tor. shouldve just been kotor3 instead im still mad

Saying TOR trying to clone WoW is "damning" doesn't sound like a very Blizzdrone thing to say to me. Indeed, I think neo-WoW is sickening, and I kinda object to general theme park style of game that WoW represented since the beginning. Certainly in the context of Star Wars.

But if you were to accept it as a valid design goal, you should at least have the decency to do it right! And there unquestionably are many things WoW does very much right, and TOR has none of that.

Attached: Tim Buckley quits TOR.jpg (765x915, 414K)

What did he say that was wrong? I was here for TORtanic and hes essentially correct.

Tortanic thread?

Attached: bioware cinematic experience.webm (854x480, 2.86M)

>another Sith calls you weak for being LS
>kill him
>Jedi calls you stupid for being DS
>kill him
>still Light Side because you chose not to rape that baby

I still play this from time to time to get my light-saber slashing need and do feel he is right about the game. They got like 2 class stories that are decent and then everything else in the game feels like a goddamn chore.

>being a jew is a bannable offense
Ah, it is as it should be

Attached: leah.gif (207x207, 1.37M)