Why are there guys in American football gear in Super Mario World...

Why are there guys in American football gear in Super Mario World? How could anyone in Mushroom Kingdom know what American football is?

Attached: chuck.jpg (1280x720, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/n32p3#
mariowiki.com/Brooklyn
popularmechanics.com/culture/gaming/a4690/4334387/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They grabbed the princess.

Attached: hqdefault[1].jpg (480x360, 10K)

>He doesn't know the deep lore
>He doesn't know that the Mushroom Kingdom is actually a post-post apocalyptic United States

their koopas in baseball gear, they throw baseballs not footballs, japs like baseball,

its a catchers outfit

ok why are there baseball players in Mushroom Kingdom?

What a strange game of baseball

Attached: b1LWlIR.gif (500x500, 86K)

mario is from nyc you cretin. So clearly america and the mushroom kingdom share a connection. Also, in super mario odyssey, mario wears his us golf outfit, which is the american flag.

last but not least it's not "American football", it's just football. No one important cares about soccer.

>mario is from nyc

Attached: dobson.jpg (400x400, 38K)

>How could anyone in Mushroom Kingdom know what American football is?
Because you enter the mushroom kingdom via pipes in Brooklyn.

>chuck
is that simpsons reference?

Like they say in Brooklyn

Mario is no longer from Brooklyn

Attached: dobson nintendo.jpg (800x1153, 360K)

Chuck

Attached: 3lj6s5l.gif (652x562, 392K)

Yes he is. OG Donkey Kong still takes place in NYC sewers.

>How could anyone in Mushroom Kingdom know what American football is?
What is television

Because the mushroom kingdom and real world are linked via certain pipes. watch the mario cartoons and/or read the story of mario bros arcade. It's not unreasonable to assume some of bowser's minions snuck into the real world, observed football and then brought it back to the mushroom kingdom

Why would there be a gorilla in NYC sewers? How does that make any sense? Was Miyamoto high when he came up with this shit?

He is
archive.is/n32p3#

why did they rename toadstool to peach anyway.

Koopa football players

Why do you think the American football players are enemies?

It doesn't make sense because donkey kong takes place at a construction site, not in the sewers

Pretty sure the lore is that Donkey Kong somehow entered NYC, and kidnapped Mario's gf Pauline. From there Mario chased him and DK led Mario to Mushroom Kingdom.

revenge for hiroshima

NOPE
Odyssey retconned that, it's New Donk City.

New Donk City is the location of the original donkey kong now. It has been retconned as of Odessey.

>DK led Mario to Mushroom Kingdom.
Then why is DK not in any of the Mario games? Also wouldn't it had made more sense that DK would be the guy doing the kidnapping thing instead of Bowser?

There was not retcon. New Donk is a different city that just resembles Brooklyn.

mariowiki.com/Brooklyn
>One of its first mentions in a game is in Mario's Time Machine, in which upon being asked if he was from Italy (due to his accent) by an imperial ruler in China, Mario says that he is from Brooklyn, New York. Of course, granted the time period, the feudal lord didn't know what Brooklyn was.

>According to Mario is Missing! (both the original PC version and console instruction booklets) and the Super Mario 64 Player's Guide, in addition to the DIC cartoon shows and Nintendo Comics System, the Mario Brothers are from Brooklyn.

>catcher wearing a football player helmet

Mario was raised in New York as stated in the guide to Super Mario 64, and until directly stated otherwise, that is canon.

>he’s never beat Donkey Kong on Gameboy

The “real world” and the Mushroom Kingdoom coexist, you know.

Attached: 819C21D5-BBEE-4476-865E-272C1C45D0D6.png (256x224, 4K)

>Then why is DK not in any of the Mario games?
He's in a lot of Mario games. Outside party titles he's in the Mario vs Donkey Kong series.

>Why are there two italians in plumber' s gear in Super Mario World? How could anyone in Mushroom Kingdom know what a plumber is?

This is how you sound.

Probably to distance from the "Frog shit" way of interpreting the name

Fuck off Dobson.

>toadstool
>frogshit
>peach
>peaaach
which would you rather bite into?

THE GREEN HAIR IS JUST THE VARIA SUIT.

WHY DOES EVERY SELF-DESCRIBED RETRO GAMER GET SUCH BASIC SHIT WROOOOONG.

Attached: febdae5d347b8c5ca18c5f72ac0a56d4.jpg.png (402x312, 9K)

>how does anyone in the Mushroom Kingdom know what tennis is?
>or golf?
>or baseball?
>or basketball?
>or volleyball?
>or participate in the Olympics?

It's a stone.

>American Football
LET'S JUST FORGET

Those games are not canon.

If you still get mad about fucking Dobson, it's your own fault.

if mario and luigi are from brooklyn then whats with the mama mia and the fucking italian accents, are they italian american or something

>90s Mario took place in a flinstones type universe.

Attached: 1526639453205.jpg (250x229, 17K)

Parallel universe.

> Canon in Mario
Retard

>Super Mario 64 isn't canon
y i k e s

Because they are hipsters that don't actually play games.

They enjoy being racists.

the bigger question is why would they expect Samus to "pray". To whom? How has Dobson not fedora'd even harder into that?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 9.32.12 AM.png (533x367, 166K)

According to Charles Martinet he basically came up with the goofy Italian accent at the audition for Mario because he thought it would be more appealing and friendly to children than some gruff and growly "Hey I'm walkin here" Mario that the previous VAs like the cartoon did.

The only game officially stated to NOT be canon in Mario lore is Hotel Mario.

Retard.

Attached: baseballcatcher.jpg (1280x720, 101K)

they are goombas

Mario 64 and Mario Bros Arcade are canon

I thought only one of them enjoyed it

Attached: 707.jpg (487x376, 116K)

>New Donk is a different city that just resembles Brooklyn.

Kinda like Dinohattan in the movie.

I always thought these guys were just made entirely of sports equipment and had basketballs for heads
I didn't find out what they actually were until 3D World

Attached: 1450281446608.png (708x537, 239K)

mario is from brooklyn
why is it hard to imagine that football exists in the mushroom kingdom? football is a pretty popular sport so why wouldn't it be in a video game?

They are. There is a "real world" which has all earth countries, but it's a fictional rendition. So New York and Italy exist but it's not governed by laws of reality like irl is. There is also the mushroom realm, which most Mario games take place in. I belive it goes like this
>storks kidnap Mario bros but they are returned to proper parents
>Parents live in Italy
>later the Mario Bros immigrate to America and start a plumbing business
>DK kidnapps Pauline
>Mario locks up DK
>DK jr. saves DK
>Mario chases DK jr and DK into a sewers
>He is lead to the mushroom world
>permanent contact is established
*tips fedora*

Attached: super-mario-odyssey-costumes (17) (1).jpg (1010x640, 232K)

>parents live in italy
>inside a mushroom
???

>Real world
>Storks supposedly collect Mario in this world
Then where the fuck do the Yoshis live? Do Dinosaurs still live in modern day cities too

I just think it's funnier that Bowser's army just happens to have a football team that gets mobilized to be another piece of cannon fodder in Mario's usual "Let's kill hundreds of koopa troops to rescue Peach's dumb ass again" rampage.

{{citation needed}}

Attached: fuckingpissed.jpg (1280x720, 57K)

Nah but mostly because of redlining.

there's both koopa football players and koopa baseball players

>WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO TODAY COACH?
>throw footballs and baseballs at a midget
>YEAH!!!*headbutts each other*

>why is it hard to imagine that football exists in the mushroom kingdom?

It isn't, plenty of real life sports are played in the Mushroom Kingdom. Tennis, golf, the ACTUAL football...

yoshi's fucking island takes place in the mushroom world on yoshi's island itself, user.

Attached: 1548357680921.gif (400x300, 814K)

Italy has houses that look like mushrooms irl. It's called Trullo style.

Attached: 1200px-Alberobello_BW_2016-10-16_13-43-03.jpg (1200x808, 264K)

the mario universe exists on a boundary plane which has access to all other universes

You've never seen a mushroom IRL.

To play baseball?

youre the retard if you think those guys are catchers, theyre clearly football players. they even kick footballs in the game.

Yoshis live on Yoshi Island.

Guys, it's pretty obvious that Nintendo Power isn't canon. Those guides were only meant to supplement the games, not be the final word like the games themselves are. So the Brooklyn thing was never actually in Super Mario 64, it's just a loose connection to the cartoons/comics that some intern made up.

Attached: pot.png (180x178, 40K)

they picked it up from the shy guy tribes

Attached: Baseball_Boys.png (180x154, 5K)

My point is that all those sports exist in the Mushroom Kingdom, so it's not unusual that they're familiar with the pathetic excuse for a sport the Yanks have the nerve to call football.

popularmechanics.com/culture/gaming/a4690/4334387/
Miaymoto himself says that that Mario Bros takes place in NYC sewers
>PM: When was it decided that he was a plumber?

SM: When we first created Donkey Kong, I kind of looked at him as your average, everyday foolish guy. The setting of that game was a construction site, so I kind of matched him with the setting of the game, and decided in that game that he was a carpenter. And then when we made the original Mario Bros. game, that was the first game that had pipes in it, and the enemies would come out of the pipes into this dark area and Mario would try to hit them and knock them out. Looking at the setting of that game, it had the feeling of an underground New York sewer system. And so with the pipes and the idea of it being an underground New York sewer system, I thought what kind of guy would be there working on the pipes? A plumber! So rather than saying Mario was a plumber, really it was a matter of what's his role in the game and what's the setting of the game and kind of occupation would put him in the setting to be doing what he's doing.

Mario Bros Arcade still is canon, that's the whole story of the game is mario and luigi are clearing out pests from the sewer

Aren't those bandits?

Attached: yoshis island.png (600x367, 276K)

And that still doesn't change the fact that the Super Mario 64 reference is a guide localization. The idea was long abandoned by the Japanese since Super Mario Bros.

considering mario has multiple sport spin-offs, it isn't really a stretch

Attached: CharginChuckMarioMania.png (875x522, 1.01M)

[Citation needed]

An interview with the creator himself saying it takes place in brookyln.

>football fream

>Confused Chucks
why is that so fucking funny

Japan never specified Brooklyn you illiterate. That's a totally western exclusive that the Americans ran with. In context, Miyamoto was thinking of the Manhattan sewers.

the end of SMO with the chucks was pretty epic.

>In context, Miyamoto was thinking of the Manhattan sewers.
you are resorting to mental gymnastics.

It's a football! He chiseled it.

Is there a Sneering Sneed character?

Lore gettin deep here

Attached: BiS.png (367x275, 126K)

Except Manhattan sewer monsters was a popular urban legend at the time, which is why Miyamoto turned it into a game. The cartoon probably went with Brooklyn because someone's grandma lived there.

d e e p e s t

it's a very diverse city

there formerly was but they removed him

here is what I can gather from this thread.
>Mario is Italian, as in the real world ethnicity. He is not a fictional race.
>Mario is logically Italian-American, not merely Italian. He clearly associates himself with American regalia like stars and stripes.
>Mario is associated with NYC style architecture.
What muddies the water
>contradictoary game info
>A neglect of any "real world" roots in favor of focusing on the fictional mushroom kingdom
Every boomer will forever believe the Mario bros are Italian American plumbers from Brooklyn. Although it is vague enough to where you can make your own headcanon.

imo the fact that Mario continues to appear like this is a dead giveaway that his real world origin isn't entirely abandon. it's just kept vague.

Attached: Mario-American-flag-Super-Smash-Bro (1).jpg (660x400, 77K)

>Little Mac is from the Bronx
>Little Mac is also Mario's son
Really makes you think.

Attached: lil mac.jpg (1280x720, 119K)

You're the only retard here if you think that looks like obvious fucking football gear

Attached: sAlb6sb.jpg (1015x945, 60K)

No, Mario was born in the Mushroom Kingdom, he moved to NDC where some people have accents similar to italoamericans, that's where he met pauline and DK, the rest is what happens in the games. Dismiss all american localization.

>Miyamotos own admission that Mario bros takes place in NYC is American localization
yikes.

All the while I'm just waiting for someone to explain where Jumpman fits into all of this.

Mario "Jumpman" Mario?

Attached: d4nqtjv.png (800x837, 186K)

japs like football, too, not sure if they still have their own branch of nfl

Miyamoto was high on mushrooms and wanted to confuse baka gaijins with his magic words.

>Clappin' Chucks
See they're fucking American Football players!

*claps rapidly*

mistranslation

Things can change at any moment's notice. See these guys? They were Bowser's kids. So were the Koopa Kids (all 99 of them). You can't tell me that New Donk City ISN'T the replacement for NYC in Miyamoto's "current story".

Attached: previously.jpg (300x232, 18K)

I can. He never said anything like that. Also New Donkers look different from Mario and Paultena's cartoony style.

New Donk is merely a place which happens to be very alike NYC in custom and style.

The chozo were spiritual as fuck OP.

Samus is a devout bird god religion follower and hopes to one day find a good bird god fearing man to settle down with and become a devoted wife and raise her kids in the way of Bird God.

underrated

Attached: marios stomach ulcer practically explodes.jpg (1600x1194, 243K)

That's Dinosaur Land, not Mushroom Kingdom.

Fuck off dogfucking tripfag

>You can't tell me that New Donk City ISN'T the replacement for NYC in Miyamoto's "current story".
And it's not even the first one!

Attached: BC.png (256x224, 5K)

Or second, since donkey Kong Land had 'Big Ape City'.

That's Big City, can't you read, also, NYC isn't NYC without the twin towers.

>NYC isn't NYC without the twin towers.
So... NYC is not NYC?

It was always peach in the Japanese version.
Toadstool was just the American localized version.
That's why.

Why does everyone forget to mention that Mario was inspired by NOA's landlord Mario Segale?

Attached: Mario Segale.jpg (480x360, 17K)

I meant in the context of the picture and time it was made, every depiction of NYC before you know, had them.

Except New Donk City is retroactively the setting on the original Donkey Kong, and Pauline was previously stated to be from "New York".

Attached: also she was two people.jpg (1142x1654, 549K)

Oh yes, yes, that image clears things up.

Mario and Luigi were clearly being carried by the stork in the Mushroom Kingdom. I don’t get how anyone can pretend they were born in Italy or the US any more.

Geez, what version of DK is that top screenshot from?

I think it’s been thoroughly retconned.
Mushroom Kingdom humans, like Mario and Peach, are probably all just wops. Then Mario and Luigi spent many years in New Donk.

>can't you read
can you?

Attached: retcons everywhere.png (459x131, 116K)

Wops?

Italians, dumbass.

The place you are born is not always the place you are raised.
I don't read Japanese but if this really says Pauline was from NYC I feel even more confident. Pauline never claimed to be from New Donk, she is just the mayor there.

This isn't the Mushroom Kingdom, it's Dinosaur Land.
...So why does a land full of dinosaurs have random football players

Brooklynfags btfo

>I feel even more confident
Then you're really not going to like what Nintendo said about New Donk...

Attached: representing donk history.png (565x576, 512K)

Why would they be born in the Mushroom Kingdom then dragged out to Brooklyn or NDC and come back?

Same reason I was born some place but grew up someplace else?

How can "Mario is from Brooklyn" dobsonites still exist when Yoshi's island happened like 2 decades ago?

Do we have our new Koopaling crisis? We still have people latching on to the New York storyline even though it's been clearly and obviously retconned? Just like the state of Bowser's parenthood between 2002 and 2012?

Attached: because fuck the koopalings.jpg (256x363, 125K)

What, his dad got transferred to the Earth division of his oil refinery? It doesn’t make sense in the context of the Mushroom Kingdom World to go to “our” world for normal “moving to another place” reasons.

They were tired of living among Yoshi and their stinky eggs.

SMO was the Majoras Mask of Mario games. the whole thing is a spiritual journey through Marios life, death and rebirth. Each world representing some aspect of Mario's life story or personality. New Donk is a conglomerate of Marios young adulthood on NYC, Marios memory of Pauline and his memory of Donkey Kong. that's why all the streets are named after DK characters.

I loled

Because they charge at you. The design reflect the function.

How would Mario know the names of all of DK's Animal Buddies?

Because he is close friends with the DK crew. the names of the streets are only the typical crew and Krool. I don't remember an obscure DK names popping up.

Looks like it. Someone even used a strategy guide as "proof".

Hey, kids! The New Super Mario Bros. Wii guide says that the Koopalings and Bowser Jr. are Bowser's children! And that Bowser Jr. is the super secret special eighth Koopaling! That means that the Koopalings are safe and we can keep writing fagfics about how former royal heir Ludwig plans to usurp King Dad's little favorite!

Attached: Bowser's bratty kids.png (671x180, 149K)

Mario enemies always have a tendency to be function first in terms of design. There’s no required characteristics to being a mario enemy. Some are based on myth, some on regular animals, some on existing enemies, some on normal stuff with googly eyes. But nothing gets rejected for not fitting in. The whole angle of the Mushroom Kingdom lets them get away with completely bizarre things that exist only to fulfill a game need without any explanation to their behavior or look. I always found that kind of cool.

Attached: 436CB1FF-CECC-4A00-A846-084492A0D6A8.png (250x230, 49K)

Only dinosaur island though. Rest of the world had castles and karts and flying clown machines.

To be fair, he kinda has a point with the blonde hair. Why is Nintendo so obsessed with blondes?

Link always had some shade of Blond hair. The only thing that varies is how dark or light it is. NES Link tended towards dirty blond while OOT Link tends towards honey blond.

Attached: kisspng-the-legend-of-zelda-link-s-awakening-zelda-ii-th-the-legend-of-zelda-5ac2f5e9d3b671.38038890 (900x780, 166K)

NES Link's hair always looked brown to me.

Attached: thinking.png (336x591, 308K)

>post fanart instead of official art
yikes

Mario's father

That's Mario Sr.

no

Attached: links hair.jpg (856x1100, 394K)

I love how land was ancient aliens

American football is just rugby for faggots

They are his kids and Bowser's dad is Morton Koopa Sr

Mario is from New Donk City

Link is canonically dirty blonde

My nigga that's a hockey style facemask, not an NFL style helmet

>yikes
Fucking goddamn you fake retro gamers.

Attached: READ A BOOKLET.png (493x377, 351K)

We need a proper Luigi-only platform in Sarasaland.
Luigi is bored in his mansion in the opening, then gets a call from Daisy. She wants to hang out, so Luigi drops everything and gets running. E. Gad supplies some gear to make the game unique. Waluigi sees him across the street and chases Luigi down. Then some of the other second-rate characters can appear.
And throughout the game Daisy could “call” you and say cute tomboy lines.
After getting to her castle, you open up a two-player mode with mini-games and stuff.

In the Japanese version they're kicking rice balls.

not in the first two games

Breath of the Wild is just a remake of Zelda 1

What are rice balls? I only know jelly doughnuts

Zelda 1 has content though

BoTW has an equivalent amount of content

>I don't read Japanese but if this really says Pauline was from NYC I feel even more confident.
In the the second blue box, the big red text says "Pauline" (literally, "Po-ri-n"), and the next line says "Birthplace: New York" ("Nyu-Yo-Ku").

I dunno. Let's ask this nice kendoist and this nice Football Cheerleader, and maybe the Football players in the background, too.

Attached: tumblr_kyfngkJPRg1qa5kxw.jpg (500x437, 121K)

>Ludwig plans to usurp King Dad's little favorite!
No joke, I think I remember this theory floating aroung because Junior got left behind in World 6, when Ludwig was the last one on the airship.

Attached: left to die.png (786x383, 142K)

>encounter american football player
>he starts clapping
>charges at me for not clapping with him

Attached: 1536739024135.png (526x615, 379K)

>Super Mario World
>Mushroom Kingdom

Isn't it the Dinosaur Kingdom?

>mushroom kingdom
>not dinosaur land

Attached: uncomfy.jpg (407x286, 20K)

Let's be real, tho, isn't Dinosaur Land in the Mushroom Kingdom? Or at least, there's overlap where Yoshi's Island is supposed to be located.

Attached: Partners in Kingdom.png (224x160, 16K)

My intellect is too puny to grasp Mario lore

My sides.

I kind of wish they kept Lady as character separate from Pauline. I actually prefer her original design.

Attached: Jumpman's_Lady.png (457x650, 434K)

There are crashed Bowser ships in the ocean so yeah.
Pic unrelated?