Nintendo is boycotting their mobile games: devs wanna make more money

wsj.com/articles/nintendo-to-smartphone-gamers-dont-spend-too-much-on-us-11551864160

>TOKYO—Smartphone game makers working with Nintendo Co. are finding the home of Mario the plumber is putting up obstacles to scoring high revenue.

>Since 2015, Nintendo has had revenue-sharing agreements for smartphone games that it creates with partners like DeNA Co.

>(...)In some cases, players can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars trying to win special items. Fearing such behavior will damage Nintendo’s brand image, the company has asked its partners to adjust the games so that users won’t spend too much, according to people familiar with Nintendo’s strategy.

>CyberAgent officials say Nintendo asked the game maker to adjust the game to avoid excessive spending by users.

>“Nintendo is not interested in making a large amount of revenue from a single smartphone game,” one CyberAgent official said. “If we managed the game alone, we would have made a lot more.”

That explains why their games are so generous compared to other stuff like Granblue and FGO

Attached: Super_Mario_Run.0.0.jpg (365x416, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

geek.com/games/japanese-gamer-spends-6065-unlocking-mobile-rpg-character-1649554/
youtube.com/watch?v=z-fxfuWhff0
outline.com/Zu4cBe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How are Nintendo's mobile games anyway

Dragalia Lost looked kind of interesting but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to play gacha

Attached: 1521880189314.png (622x617, 678K)

>Granblue
lmao granblue is more generous than feh

it's gonna be one of those threads, right?

Attached: man touching chin while his eyes melt off his face.png (321x322, 39K)

You mean a dragon thread?

I've spent over £400 on Animal Crossing Pocket Camp leaf tickets lads I'm in too deep

Well its somewhat true.

Intelligent Systems practices in FEH has lowered my opinion of them drastically.

What the fuck is wrong with you

My camp site looks sweet now though :-)

Based, typemoontards BTFO.

They have always been jewish imo. Back when Nintendo was new to dlc ISIS didn't think twice when they wanted to add some to Awakening

Attached: lucina.jpg (1280x720, 99K)

AC I've heard is a barebones experience.

FEH is pretty okay though the new content they've been adding is mostly just PvP oriented stuff (with some grind needed to obtain the rewards for it due to how the lift system works).

Mario Run is a game you buy once and can play through it as much as you like IIRC.

Technically Dragalia is Cygames and not 100% Nintendo, which is why in order to do the hardest content of the game, there may be some money spending required unless you slave away at it or get carried by other players.

It'll be interesting to see how they release MK Mobile this Summer.

>"Nintendo is not interested in making a large amount of revenue from a single smartphone game,”

i.e. Nintendo is literally swimming in money right now that they don't want to squeeze their IP too much as they have other cash cows to offer sooner or later.

I can't tell if the devs are complaining or not. I mean, intuitively, I know that the people making exploitative gachashit have no souls and care about nothing but making money, reasoning that, since they're successful, they must be in the right. But some part of me deep down rejects the idea that, somewhere out there, there is someone who is upset that they aren't being allowed to abuse gambling addictions to make $100m instead of $20m.

Based fucking Nintendo
Literally been the good guys since their very inception.

Attached: 1242333474574545.png (396x505, 227K)

>>(...)In some cases, players can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars trying to win special items. Fearing such behavior will damage Nintendo’s brand image, the company has asked its partners to adjust the games so that users won’t spend too much, according to people familiar with Nintendo’s strategy.
Is this supposed to be a bad thing? Sounds pretty based to me

this must be some kind of PR stunt

>dude lets make an autoscroller 10 bucks lmao

I like Nintendo but this is just stupid. If people are stupid enough to waste time and money on cellphone games let them. As long as they keep that cancer far away from their real games

Maybe nintendo should start by not selling ports of old games for 60$ and selling dlcs with 15$ plastic trash.

The devs are complaining because when they heard "nintendo smartphone games" their brains and dicks interpreted it as "ten billion dollars a year, the next FGO, exploiting children and grooming them into loyal slaves".

It is, of course, their fault for thinking that Nintendo would ever let an outside company print money at the expense of Nintendo's goodwill, but that isn't going to stop them from being angry that they aren't getting the free money they were never promised.

>Nintendo is not interested in making a large amount of revenue from a single smartphone game
>You want Mew? That'll be an extra $50 plus tip

They wanted the smartphones games to underperform/fail a bit but they underestimated whales who will go out of their way to bypass Nintendo's imposed limits on mobile dev partners.
They did it to shut investors up and make a little on the side. If they make too much on mobile it could actually hurt their image, consoles, and make investors even greedier and demand more and more mobile games because they can only see the short-term gains of such a venture on their stock portfolio and not the long-term damage such attitude has to relationship management and their brand image.
Nintendo are still very much an estarn-style company for better or worse. Reliant on their core competencies and delivering products they think people will want not what they vocally demand for. Its part of their image to be a bit family friendly.

>Neko Atsume
>but for Pokemon

>gamefreak and pokemon company
>nintendo

Nintendo is very protective when it comes to keeping their franchise with a perceived high value. That's their reason to almost never give their games a price cut unless they become one of "Nintendo Selects"

Nintendo may own some shares of Pokemon but in practice both Gamefreak and TPCi are completely autonomous.

Is there even such thing as GOOD GACHA games?

Attached: feelsmeh.png (1106x1012, 71K)

Gachas are inherently not good by design. It's intentional in order to get you to spend more money on them. Even removing the money spending aspect you're just left with disjointed progression based completely on random chance. It is not good design for anything but nickel and diming.

I wish the Pokemon Company's existence was common knowledge.

Nah, this is pretty based, not like they need the money.

Dude, stop. Play good games instead.

>As long as they keep that cancer far away from their real games
That's exactly what they're doing. If they make too much money in the mobile market then their investors will demand those practices be put in their normal games. If people are stupid enough to spend all that money then you should let them, right?

mobile games are made by subhumans.
its not surprising at all.

do you understand how cheap that is compared to your average gacha shit?

I'd rather people not get ripped off, for the sake of people who play video games and for the health of the industry as a whole.

So what I'm getting here is that Nintendo are using mobile as a sort of advertising and marketing tool to get people to buy their actual consoles and games?

Because it makes no sense to hinder your own profits otherwise. Why the fuck should they care about the retards that waste their money?

It depends entirely on whether you consider if there are good gambling games or not in the first place

fuck off kike

image. also long term over short term.

Because they don't wanna devalue their brand?

Nintendo isn't full of white demons so they care more about not pissing off their fans than they do about making money.

Granblue Fantasy is the most generous kusoge on the market though? They're literally about to give away millions of dollars worth of free rolls in 3 days.

(((white)))

That and Nintendo games tend to stay on Nintendo consoles. Without any cannibalization from other systems, they have zero reason to give discounts and doesn't screw over early adopters as hard as other systems.

>Granblue Fantasy is the most generous kusoge on the market though?

It wasn't always that way tho: geek.com/games/japanese-gamer-spends-6065-unlocking-mobile-rpg-character-1649554/

This episode literally sparked a whole gacha controversy and legislation in japan if my memory serves me right

Hasn't Cygames, the gacha giant, been struggling more and more lately? Not a rapid descent by any means, but a descent nonetheless? It's like they've had to cut corners after corners, axe games completely, and they appear to retreat more and more to just their core, core franchises. For better or worse.

Likewise Type Moon with Nasu himself is bailing on Fate/Grand Order. It has been and is making him mad cash, but I am guessing he might have grown worried about whether or not it might have hurt the longevity of his franchises due to the fast burn on Grand Order. That or he is just tired of it.

Anyway. I really do not think that the whale catching practises are particularly good for brands in the long run. Even if they might make ridiculous amounts of money in the short term.

The same reason why Nintendo doesn't run pachinko, or even licence it's shit out to pachinko.

Nintendo is one of the most anti consumer companies out there. Don't believe the nintendgaf narrative.

Wrong. Nintendo are probably worried about a story where some kid spent $1000's of their parent money on one of their mobile games which would work against their image and possibly damage their brand.

>Nintendo actually caring about the well being of their image and user base over exploiting idiots and making as much money as possible.
Remind me again why people hate Nintendo again. This type of quality control is the same thing that put Nintendo on top during the video game crash of 1983 and will be the same thing that makes mobile games considered a viable gaming platform.

Because they make shit games with weak shit hardware. And they have the worst fanbase. They thread proves it.

>so mad he forgets to proofread his post

Nintendo has a tremendous amount of pride, and they're pretty much the most stubborn company in the industry, for better or worse. To them, their image is just as important as money. If they'd change their practices a bit, they'd probably earn more money than ever, but their stubborn adherence to pride means that they're only gonna make money THEIR way.

Nintendo is the only company that will charge $80 for controllers. They're the worst company in the industry.

Says the seething tendie mad no one else treats his toy company like their friends.

And keeping a good PR and perceived value is how they've been able to get away with it. It's no coincidence Nintendo fans are as obnoxious as they are

>Nintendo GOOD
>Everyone BAD

The state of the Nintendo cult.

Based Nintendo btfo the mobile developers and their shitty practices.

Attached: 1517386609947.jpg (409x355, 46K)

>To them, their image is just as important as money
Then why do they keep putting shallow bing bing wahoo and weebshit on their underpowered kids toy? Their image is already in the shitter

Honestly I support Ninty making mobile games long as they are a one time purchase like mario run which was really good, ill still pick it up for a bit here and there to play. Or if its like FE or Dragalia where you forget you can pay for stuff because it just throws so much at you for free.
I really wonder how Dr Mario is gonna be, and how Mario Kart will be.
I imagine Dr Mario will be like a bar that determines how much you can play in one session, you can pay more for a refill or something maybe. Not sure how theyll monetize it honestly.
Mario kart id be surprised if they picked a model besides buying "track packs" or something.
Interesting to see how the future will go. Been good so far besides pocket camp.

>bringing their IPs to mobile in the first place

Nintendgaf treats them like the good guy even though they tried to make money with mobile.

>Shit games
General majority opinion says otherwise
>weak shit hardware
Technically, it's one of the most powerful portable systems. Also, you don't need the best hardware to make good games.
>worst fanbase
Pretty sure Sony fanboys have been proven to derail more Nintendo threads than vise versa.

Another day. Another thread where Nintendo cultists praise their childrens toy company for ripping them off.

it's not the business practices that are bad, it's the platform itself?

The hardware is objectively weak though. There's a reason it can only run simple games like this. And can't do any better than 720p 30fps in 2019. I can understand if you like their games if you're under 10. The bright colorful simple graphics were made for children.

Attached: la remake.jpg (298x169, 14K)

But Dragalia's gacha is already pretty damn terrible. What more could they have wanted?

Nintendo literally tried to bring their IPs to mobile to make money. You're giving them a past because they're not as bad as the other greedy companies. You're literally saying it's okay when Nintendo is greedy for fanboy reasons.

microsoft charges over 100

every company releases their games to make money, user.

>Nintendo asks it's mobile developers to make it so people spend less money through their games.
>"Lol Nintendo is ripping you off"
Are you retarded?

>nintendo arent as greedy as other companies and thats a bad thing

>asking them to make games for mobile in the first place
>t-they're not greedy like the other companies!

Cope.

I'm not a nintendo guy but that's pretty based

Does it get you off to post like this?
Genuinely curious, because I see your kind often enough everywhere that it worries me.

>"The bright colorful simple graphics were made for children."
Hmmm.....

Attached: tetris99.jpg (800x450, 163K)

>charge $300 for a fisher price tablet
>$80 for controllers
>$60 for old games

They are the most greedy.

so, let me get this straight, when a video game company releases a video game, it means they are greedy?

Mid-90s Nintendo was definitely not "the good guys" unless you consider modern Sony's behaviour to be acceptable.

>Stop hurting my feelings. only Nintendo safe space here.

point to the doll where the plumber touched you

>Sell out to their ips to cell phones to make a quick buck
>Not greedy

Yikes. We're on nintendgaf alright.

Considering it's a Nintendo thread, you generally just come off a retard when you purely spout illogical garbage.

>Based fucking Nintendo
>Literally been the good guys since their very inception

Well thats debatable. They were cunts in the 80's and were accused of price-fixing. They had to give out money-back vouchers to every NES owner.

But generally speaking, yes they're one of the least repugnant company's in the industry.

On the flip side it's because of Monkeygate, and HRT's constant "compensations", that grubble ended up being as generous as it is today.

so if they had developed it internally, it wouldn't be greedy? you're honestly not making much sense

So you're only allowed to praise Nintendo in a Nintendo thread. Oof. No wonder you're known as a cult.

Just came out in Europe and I've not had to spend money at all, also raids are fun and give you a shit load of the currency needed for summons at first

Yes and no. Some higher up was/is pushing for a service that is failing hard and basically just leaking money. And Dragalia Lost is underperforming expectations by the looks/sounds of things and then there's the Uma Musume franchise that was initially gonna be a game then an anime and everythign around it, well everything but the game is out so it's quickly falling into a dead franchise.

Shadowverse, Granblue and Princess Connect Re;Dive are the current outliers and it's possibly Cygames might turn their attention back to those three and focus more on them (at the cost of other shit). Granblue is also already aiming to get big with Versus and Relink, but the original game felt like it was on the backburner for a while but might turn around as it's legit more profitable than their other games.

This entire thread is about how Nintendo clearly isn't interested in making maximum profits from mobile games. Do you have ADD?

>business tries to make money
>but does so without being absurdly greedy and preying vulnerable people.
>somehow thats bad

Yup we're on 4channel alright.

The point is that they watered down their first party IPs to make shallow experiences on cell phones in the first place to make a quick buck. They didn't have to do that. Yet you'll defend them for that practice saying they're the good guys for fanboy reasons. That's cope if I ever saw it.

No, he clearly stated you posted illogical garbage, your post reading skills may need brushing up.

so it is the quality of the product you have a problem with? why can't you just say so? why all this dancing around? dude, companies do things for money. not your sweet words or anything.

>This entire thread is defending Nintendo for being less greedy than other companies while ignoring the fact that they brought their IPs to mobile in the first place for greed reasons.

Fixed that for you.

Because the market in the mobile industry is all about cheap games like that.
You can't put a 60 dollar game on a phone and expect it do sell.
Are you dense?

>new market opens up
>it grows very fast
>releasing products targeting it is greedy and not just a business decision
you're not rational user

> dude, companies do things for money

So it's okay for other companies to do things for money. IE other mobile companies hence why you're attacking them menawhile defending Nitnendo. Meanwhile you're defending them for destroying the brand by bringing their games to mobile.

they are still less greedy lmao

Mario Run is the only one I have and it's solid

Based

>so generous compared to other stuff like Granblue and FGO
Well when it comes to standards being more generous than FGO means the game exists as a default baseline. What blows me away is how a game can be more generous than Granblue. How can you be more generous than the game that throws away free sparks and guaranteed SSR units like its going out of style?

Are you incapable of making a constructive argument instead of useless, biased banter?

That's not the point. Nintendo brought their first party games to cell phones the first place for a quick buck. You're the dense one.

who am I attacking?

nobody disputes that. you have failed to explain why that's a bad thing however.

>they watered down their first party IPs to make shallow experiences on cell phones in the first place to make a quick buck. They didn't have to do that.

Yes they did have to do that.

Nintendo are not a mutli-armed conglomerate with various business lines like like Sony or Microsoft.

Nintendo's business is video games and thats it. And over the past few years its been obvious to everyone that they were going from two systems (home and handheld) into one system (Switch). That means a loss in revenue.

Mobile games, amiibos, LABO - these all just new revenue streams for Nintendo to support their business.

You may not like it, but that's only because you have the mind of a child and can fathom how the real world works.

Attached: 1551730250177.jpg (534x712, 56K)

>Tendies try to make a thread praising Nintendo for being greedy
>gives them fact
>they get mad at you for not agreeing with their fanboy narrative

wasn't it basically proven that they did that just to shut up investors from constantly bugging them to go mobile

You have failed to explain why it's a good thing except it's okay when Nintendo does it.

video game companies releasing video games is generally seen as a good thing in video game circles.

>6K
You are like a baby. Watch this
>youtube.com/watch?v=z-fxfuWhff0

They did it for greed like any other company. Nintendo is not your friend. Stop trying to spin everything they do into a good thing to fit your narrative that they're a good company that only cares about you.

See

Literally can't say anything positive about Nintendo or their games without getting called "Tendie", "Yikes", "Oof", "Cope", or whatever buzzwords these post electionfags use these days.

So much for Nintendogaf. And I say this as someone with a healthy amount of resenment for Nintendo.

>releasing their first party video games on cell phones to make a quick buck when all their past games were on consoles

Keep coping.

I think it's fun to see them squirm and struggle to form coherent arguments like itt

Sorry your upset not everyone blindly praise your company like a fanboy.

so what you are saying is

MOBILE BAD
CONSOLE GOOD

have I finally gotten your opinion right or would you like to change it again?

See
What is is there to cope with? Why can't you understand simple business decisions? Why do react to everything like an emotionally stunted baby rather than an intelligent adult?

I'm not the one praising Nintendo, but keep crying.

>mobile is okay when Nintendo does it
>when any other companies do it it's greedy

Yikes.

It's not fun when they use the same buzzwords to hide their lack of an argument and just go full "YOU MUST HATE EVERYTHING I HATE OR YOU'RE A (insert buzzword here)"

Cope.

Yes, mobile is bad and console is good, you would be actually retarded to think otherwise, which you clearly are since you are only capable of thinking in memes

I disagree. Look at his post above yours. Now he's making shit up nobody ever said.

But OP's post proves Nintendo are NOT being greedy. They're remarkably restrained and should be appaulded for their example.

so doesn't that make it a good thing they use third party devs for mobile titles? it's not like you're forced to buy a product you're not interested in.

Yeah, I just saw that after I posted. This idiot should either point to the exact posts or stop making himself a stupid nigger.

>someone with a healthy amount of resenment for Nintendo.
Why would you resent a Japanese video game company that doesn't know or care that you exist?

The devs probably are fine with the model, but are saying that so they don't look incompetent when they look for more work.

>nintendo makes mobile games
IT'S OVER THEY'VE GONE FULL JEW NINTENDOOMED
>nintendo doesn't want people spending thousands of dollars on gacha
somehow this is still bad

I guess nothing is okay when nintendo does it

Seething this hard because no one is as mindless of a fanboy as he is.

>Mobile game monetization practices so morally dubious even nintendo won't fucking touch it
pottery

Obsessed.

Triggered and seething.

I think the credit card fiasco was their worst controversy

Long terms. The industry is sort of in a bubble and its gonna pop eventually. Nintendo is keeping their brand safe and their image clean so that their loyal costumer stays loyal to them. It's a good way of doing business if you ask me.

>let's bleed them dry slowly but surely or they might die otherwise and we get nothing

great strategy. sasuga nintendo.

damn. nintendo are the good guys

Elaborate.

Not as a game itself, it’s a nice enjoyment into a good game already, when you add like a casino or something.

Link for those interested in reading the whole thing: outline.com/Zu4cBe

>Nintendo sees smartphone games primarily as a way to increase interest in its game characters so that players will consider buying traditional console games, the company’s main business, according to one Nintendo official. The company is concerned it might be criticized for being greedy in smartphone games, the official said.

>For the game makers, that can mean missing out on revenue.

>CyberAgent Inc., which developed the role-playing smartphone game “Dragalia Lost” with Nintendo, slashed its fiscal-year earnings forecast for the first time in 17 years in January due in part to the game’s disappointing performance. While player numbers for the game have grown due to an aggressive advertising campaign, revenue from each player has fallen short of projections, the company said.

>When the game was released in September, some users complained about the difficulty of winning rare characters during in-game lotteries, which might lead some people to spend more as they keep trying. CyberAgent officials say Nintendo asked the game maker to adjust the game to avoid excessive spending by users.

>At DeNA, which has created many games with Nintendo like “Super Mario Run” and “Animal Crossing,” the smartphone game business is in a slump. Chief Executive Isao Moriyasu said in February that most of the company’s smartphone games are struggling except for “Megido 72,” a game it developed alone which has strong user revenue.

>Investors praised Nintendo when the company entered the smartphone game market. But it has a modest goal for the business: ¥100 billion ($895 million) in annual revenue. Some top-ranked games, including Sony Corp.’s “Fate/Grand Order,” generate more than that on their own. In the financial year through March last year, Nintendo earned ¥39.3 billion from smartphone games and other royalty income.

I thought dragalia lost had godawful 5 star pull rates though?

Super Mario Run is the perfect model of how a mobile game should be, Nintendo really hit it on the head with this one all those years ago. It starts off free, with rally tickets being given to you rarely and only having a few tour levels to do, then if you purchase the $9.99 tour level pack, you get 6 worlds of levels and constant rally tickets. My only gripe is that it requires an internet connection to play.

Attached: 1470165811853.jpg (480x360, 10K)

>Internet connection to play
I think AC does too. For Mario that's nonsense, for AC it makes sense as the friend features are heavily integrated into the game.

No, just a terrible pity system

> money means they're right
No, they're not. This practice in long run will destroy game industry. Just like cutting all the trees to grow crops, it will blow back in one century.