Just started this game a couple of days ago

just started this game a couple of days ago
when does it actually really get good, Yea Forums?

Attached: 220px-MorrowindCOVER.jpg (220x293, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Level
openmw.org/faq/#mods
youtube.com/watch?v=6YIme0559do
youtube.com/watch?v=b8Xtbj0uCHk
autismspeaks.org/expert-opinion/getting-evaluated-autism-adult-where-go-who-see
youtube.com/watch?v=oWPAGuPsQ4A
youtube.com/watch?v=U58gC1EAtMI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It doesn't.

About the best it gets is your first walk to Seyda Neen to Balmora. All downhill from there.

Dumb zoomers. You just don't have the right mindset to enjoy a game like Morrowind.

When you remember it 10 years later.

im trying to be open minded as much as i can
i really d0 wanna enjoy the game

Almost instantly
If you're only playing it because you like skyrim or oblivion then you're never going to enjoy it though.

when you have a character in mind you really want to play and come into it already liking the game world and wanting to explore

this, about any whens it good thread

i didnt really like skyrim
my first impressions for this game is way better than skyrim

Immerse yourself in the world, read the books, learn the lingo.
Magic is king here, but you still want decent skill with a weapon as a backup, just in case you run into an enemy with reflect. Always keep a decent unenchanted weapon handy too for the same reason.
Accept and embrace jank. It's an old game and it's not perfect and most quests can be summed up as "Go here and get this/kill this."
Always keep your fatigue up, but I imagine you already know that.

Sry Kid you Got memed

thats literally waht im doing right now
i havent progressed much but im starting to learn
also ive played it for like 10 hours already annd im still level 1 wtf?

uhhh
have you slept?

When you throw money at the trainer npc's for your weapon of choice to stop missing every swing

i rest almost every minute

>You just don't have the right mindset to enjoy a game like Morrowind.
yes you have to be fucking brainlet to still enjoy this crap

On a bed?

i did
still havent progressed ?

Its not oblivion or Skyrim in which you take an sword and start blitzting trough enemies with every skill you use.

Here you have to have a good build and the start is gonna be painful very painful.

For your first playthrough is better to get a class that is good at combat and also the redguard race. If you feel confided make a dark elf and take an hybrid class that gives you combat skill with the weapons of that race or a ranged class with the wood elf.

Then you will need to advance through the ranks of a guild, when you feel confident you should start the main quest (there is no hurry in this).

Morrowind is a game with a very slow progress and certain power spikes.For one part it rewards your boldness if you can kill enemies over your level, for the other part is not an accesible game.

So if your are look for curazee you will be dissapointment, but its has toons of story and lore ands secrets and you will need to take your time for that.

gotta level them major skills
its a bit wonky though

how can i level them?

use them a lot, also trainers are a massive help and unlike skyrim/oblivion you can train as many times a level as you like

If you really want to cheese you can make a spell that drains whatever skill you want to train for 1 second, then talk to a trainer and have them train that skill for like 1 gold

not to be lazy but i would consider reading this if i were you, especially the part about efficient leveling. adhereing to the efficiency perfectly would make the game boring, but knowing the information would allow you to progress your character with a bit more structure

en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Level

If you haven't already, check out OpenMW.

It's not a mod. It's a new binary that replaces the old one, for windows, mac, and linux. It increases load times, frame rates, and other stuff like that. You still need the morrowind assets though.

I know that doesn't answer your question. I just wanted to let you know you can improve your overall experience with it.

Attached: tumblr_nr2569nqX01qze3hdo1_r2_500.gif (500x708, 600K)

You have to progress in skills relevant to the class, and get a combination in 10 levels in them.

Also when you level up, your atributes will increase more the more skill levels related to the atribute you got.

For example if you are the warrior and you got:

3 skill levels in armorer
5 in long blade
2 in blunt weapons

You would be eligible for level up and when you rest you will get x5 increase in streght.

Also in this game, trainers are a must!. You will understand when you get to balmora, read everything the npcs tells you

I tried giving Morrowind a chance multiple times, recently with OpenMW, but it's just flawed as fuck, even if you ignore the combat which is beyond help, the caves feel like they all look the same, some monsters and maybe a corpse around or a chest with predictable items inside them, the NPCs are wikipedia pages that often give you the same responses so the same question. The game just feels robotic as fuck to me. Your walkspeed is brutally slow to compensate how the game is very small in reality, and "running" around, which is hardly fast, drains stamina rather fast and I just keep resting all the time, it becomes a chore.

It's only interesting if you like games where you're free to do what you want and explore. If you like being lead around and told to do shit, you won't find it enjoyable. There's a story, but it's not really that great. Worth doing, since the loot you can find is great, but otherwise I enjoy doing everything else more.

The level system isn't like anything else out there. Your 10 major and minor skills are the only ones that matter for gaining levels, but for every point you get in a skill, you get a bonus to that stat when choosing 3 at level up. So, normally you'd get only +1 point to strength, endurance or whatever, but if you level up strength or endurance skills enough, you can get the bonus up to +5. The most effective way to level is to make sure you're getting +5 in three different attributes when you decide to level up, so just don't rest until you train or spend some time building up some misc skills until you get the +5 bonus for the 3 stats you want.

i find most of these flaws thoroughly excused if you remember its basically just an immersive first person take on the rest of the rpgs directly before it in the same era which basically all have these 'problems'

The dungeons are really weak in morrowind I agree. honestly the big strong points for morrowind are the lore/setting and the magic system and what you can do with it. If you could take those two and throw it in a modern game with dungeons with skyrim-detail you'd probably have a GOAT game

It starts off strong and only gets better. From my experience: MQ gets good when you visit the first ashlander camp. Cult gets good when the oracle calls on you. Temple gets good before you even start. TG gets good with Jim Stacey. Great Houses are good throughout, though I only did Hlaalu and Telvanni; Redoran looks more boring to me and I never played a primary melee fighter so who knows. Mages Guild never really gets good in my opinion, except for a brief moment in the Vivec branch. Can't say anything about the rest or the expansions because I never played through them.

The joy of the game for me is the freedom of it. It's great for players who can self direct since it provides a lot of varied content and a lot of interesting tools to interact with that content. My fondest memories of the game was shit I did purely for myself; robbing the great house vaults, stealing the soul of the local living god and stuffing it into some shoes to give them nearly limitless super jump powers, or walking into dungeons and befriending everyone inside for the hell of it, then taking all their smuggled goods with no complaints, or the first time I could afford to put a constant "restore fatigue" on my robe (costed like 40k gold which took a long while for me to get because most merchants only carry a few hundred) which let me run and jump as much as I wanted without it ever draining, opening up a new acrobatic playstyle that wasn't viable in combat before.

Best part is finally making it into Red Mountain

it gets good when you stop looking for some autistic revelation and just enjoy the game

But the issue is that it isn't very immersive. I mean come on, the game could have made the NPCs to have more unique dialog to at least attempt to make them feel more like real people and not repeated-paragraph-dispensers. I'm totally fine with a game lacking voice acting, and Morrowind has all those books, yet the devs couldn't be bothered to make the NPCs reply like real people do?

I went with a mage style character in my recent OpenMW playthrough, but magic feels like it was designed by a boring math geek or something. All destruction spells are just recolors of the same template, touch -> small ball -> medium ball -> big ball with aoe effect. There's no uniqueness to some ice spell that slows down enemies, or some chain lightning spell or something more interesting you know. I know you can create spells combining many of them but it just feels like shit when your base spells are lack creativity.

I just enjoyed the world overall. Read the books i found. I also loved NPC conversations, they have much more stuff than Oblivion and Skyrim, and no bad voice acting to cringe on.

>also ive played it for like 10 hours already annd im still level 1 wtf?

You need to level up 10 major skills then rest to level up your character.

>game is so bad that you have to force yourself to like it
lmao

Attached: 1521408181148.jpg (909x1200, 130K)

Will my mods work with it?

Game was released in 2002, quit being a snobby fag.

The important npc do.
And by important i mean everyone that is in a quest.

when you managed to immerse yourself in the atmosphere and when you realized that all items are hand placed all over the world, making exploration worthwhile

>Being told that you have to explore the game
is the same as
> but..but... you have to force yourself into

Come on....

Based.

So what? I've played Ultima VII recently, it uses a similar conversation system to Morrowind of topics, and NPCs have unique dialog, and much superior writing to boot. That game is a decade older than Morrowind. Both lack voice acting, you're just making excuses for Bethesda's laziness, since talking to NPCs is a big part of the game, that's how you get quests and complete them.

I'll just give you an example of how this makes the game dull.
>mage guild quest
>you gotta find who's the spy in one of our guilds around the world
>countless NPCs reply to the spy topic with a "not me" response
>only 3 out of a double digits number actually say anything important
Shit like this just makes the game look lifeless as fuck.

Attached: file.png (640x400, 68K)

openmw.org/faq/#mods

>So what? I've played Ultima VII recently, it uses a similar conversation system to Morrowind of topics, and NPCs have unique dialog, and much superior writing to boot. That game is a decade older than Morrowind. Both lack voice acting, you're just making excuses for Bethesda's laziness, since talking to NPCs is a big part of the game, that's how you get quests and complete them.
Jesus christ, you just whined about graphics and then brought up a game with even worse graphics. You're just a nitpicky fag.

I never mentioned graphics as an issue, lay down the crack pipe.

for what it's worth there is quite a bit of unique dialogue in morrowind, similar in quantity to other text heavy RPGs, but it just ends up very spread out despite that because there's so many people in the world to begin with, and most of it is locked behind quest progress or a topic that needs to be learnes elsewhere that most people you meet won't share it with you unless it happens to be in their greeting. though even the generic topics are filtered in various ways that makes you consider who you're talking to. members of different factions, residents of different places, different professions and classes, etc. all influence both what topics are available and what response you'll get for them.

after you've played for a while, take a peek in your journal and look at the topic browser. pick some random topics and you'll see that most of them will have several different entries recorded from the perspective of various groups. for example the mages guild, temple priests, non-dunmer savants, and house dagoth members all can potentially tell you about "necromancy" but each group will have very different things to say about it.

>I went with a mage style character in my recent OpenMW playthrough, but magic feels like it was designed by a boring math geek or something. All destruction spells are just recolors of the same template, touch -> small ball -> medium ball -> big ball with aoe effect. There's no uniqueness to some ice spell that slows down enemies, or some chain lightning spell or something more interesting you know. I know you can create spells combining many of them but it just feels like shit when your base spells are lack creativity.
>I never mentioned graphics as an issue, lay down the crack pipe.

You're fucking dumb.

also just to smear shit in your face even more
Deus Ex
>release date: June 2000
>has full voice acting and lots of NPCs
>unique dialogue for all of them

Morrowind
>release date: May 1 2002
>lacks voice acting and has lots of NPCs
>NPCs repeat the same lines over and over

It's pretty much been established that you're a moron, so go ahead and keep trying, but your opinion is shit and doesn't matter in this thread.

Get some reading comprehension, the issue isn't that they look bad, the issue is that mechanically the ice spells function the exact same as the fire spells. There's no uniqueness to the elements, someone just used the color paintbrush and hey there's our ice ball spell, now let's use the color green for our poison bolt. Therte's no poison spell that creates a cloud in an area or some shit like that, that's why it feels like it was made by a boring mathematics geek who lacks creativity.

It has only been established you fuckers cannot read and are unable to comprehend games older than Morrowind did what Bethesda could not do.

lol, you are such a babby. Have fun shitposting babby.

>y-you're just shitposting
I'll take that as a W, stay in denial bethesda drone.

>t.zoomer

Take it how you want, nerd, no one in this thread likes you, you're not proving anyone wrong, you're just sperging because people like a game you don't.

I work a fulltime job and manage a family, if you seriously think I'm going to play this shit on minimum acrobatics and athletics on this godawful engine then you're actually retarded.

>mommy look! i won on the internet again!

Being disliked by brainlets who cannot have an argument and can't even read properly is a good thing. You're just sperging because you cannot refute a single point I have made, I've heard deflection because the game is old, I already showed a much older game that does it better. You gotta escape the conversation somehow to avoid facing the reality the game has flaws, the horror.

When you casually walk out of Seyda Neen to explore and some wizard dude falls to his death out of nowhere.

Sorry, I can't cure your level of retard, so I don't bother trying. It's much more fun to prove how immature you are and laugh at how you think you beat someone on Yea Forums.

great post as always

Nice blog. Tell me about your kids.

What a fucking cop out.

He has a big point when he says that most npc are copy pasted template text dispensers that are not believable. You have to dig really deep to find enjoyment in the game and even though it takes a lot of patience, it's not an achievement of any kind. On the one hand you can understand the limitations of an open world game at that time and the lenses we view it through today but that doesn't take away that once you chip into the game as a whole, aside from specific quips like this there really isn't much to do in it other than finding your own fun and that is not a mark of a good videogame at all.

How about you tell me how do you enjoy playing this hover simulator in this godawful engine on snail speed? It's not even an issue that it doesn't have sprinting, it's just completely awful to exist in this game as a proverbial air baloon every time you jump.

Not everyone can be a special kind of dumb like you, slithering your way into a thread about a game you dislike just to cry about how other people enjoy it over your favorite shit game that you think does everything better. Maybe you should fuck off and go make your own dead thread, right after you get done sucking off Lord British.

I'm not even that guy, dummy. I just want to know about your children. Can I get a photo? You can blur their faces, obviously.

The game is not to blame for your poor life choices loser

a better comparison would be Gothic 2
it also has full voice acting, you can actually finish quests multple ways, and NPCs don't just stand around all day doing nothing

You still haven't addressed a single point I have made, and have resorted to name calling to protect your dear game, yeah I'll take that as a win, I just sent you into total damage control mode over some mild criticism of a game.

I don't think any fan of TES games would argue with you or that other fag about how the writing in Bethesda games is poor and uninspired, but that's never been the draw of their games since fucking Arena. If you don't like "finding your own fun", more power to you, go play something else, but TES games have 90% been all about big open world exploration with a do what you want mentality. It's obviously not for everyone.

That's a disingenuous comparison because those so-called "lots" of NPCs in both games are orders of magnitude apart. Deus Ex had approximately 10,000 lines of dialogue total, less than half of Morrowind's. Giving a world of Morrowind's scope Deus Ex's detail would have required many times the effort that was put into Deus Ex itself. You're presenting it as if the problem was Bethesda being too lazy to write more dialogue, which is far from the truth.

Whew, you're dumb.

>half of Morrowind's
But are you counting different NPCs repeating the same lines multiple times or not? You also have to factor in how DX has full voice acting even for the protagonist and VA drives the costs of the game up.

Bethesda could put all those books in the game, yet they couldn't be bothered to make NPCs look more believable than some bizarre wikipedia hivemind.

once your speed and acrobatics are 100

>look mommy! i won again!!!1

I seriously doubt this is your favorite game and I seriously doubt this passion is a reflection of that. It looks more like you're just an angry manchild that will just shit at someone for having a different opinion just to feel some emotion in your dead boring life.

Morrowind is not a sandbox experience and is not even marketed as such in any way whatsoever. It is a role-playing game with world-building and setting interaction put off on the background of the experience. You have to dig very deep in almost everything and the pay off is not as good as the effort involved. It has a lot of issues with player-interaction with the world, and generic text being one of it, it doesn't deserve as much critically acclaimed recognition and no amount of mods have been able to polish those issues for two decades.
If you want to see a successful formula of a game that was never marketed as a sandbox experience become one of the most interactive and player-involving activity, including with storytelling and setting interaction look at Stalker and the mod derivaties. Tesfags could learn a lot from them.

Look at this boy trying so hard.

is that any worse than U SUK I was told after explaining the problems of the game? I was replied with scorn, the user will get scorn in return

you need to read the lore to appreciate this game.

lol, u mad

I prefer a game that is bigger but has less content than a smaller game with more content if it means I get a better sense of exploration and I am not confined to the main story.

Oblivion is better than that piece of shit

>arguing with retards
I swear you lads never learn.

But Deus Ex has better exploration than Morrowind, that ends up feeling formulaic with its repetitive caves, temples with the same sceptims and torches and other trash loot inside over and over again. It ends up becoming a stale formula to me.

>It ends up becoming a stale formula to me.
I'm glad we've established, yet again, that you dislike Morrowind. Maybe now you can finally fuck off to your own shit threads and stop tarding up this one.

the game starts off good. if you are having problems you are doing something wrong. Its not a terrible thing, you can learn, assuming you are not some zoomer fag.

I like how STALKER has roaming packs of people from different factions going around doing their business, one flaw of all Bethesda games is how they lack that kind of stuff, little details that showcase this is a living world with events happening outside of you being the sole agent of everything. Perhaps the lack of them is related to the open world approach of TES games, while STALKER uses gated hubs that allow them to be more detailed, I don't know.

the cool thing about morrowind is you never know what you are going to find in the caves. the fact you think they are all the same just goes to show you never really played the game.

Dues Ex isn't even a fantasy setting.

They look incredibly similar visually and yes the loot is also similar in many of them.

So what? Exploration is exploration regardless if you're in fantasy, medieval, cyberpunk or sci fi.

>But are you counting different NPCs repeating the same lines multiple times or not?
Obviously not. Hell, if we counted all the repetition it's probably be in the millions and that's no useful metric at all. To be clear: Morrowind has over 20,000 lines of distinct non-copypasted dialogue distributed across its 3,000-some NPCs. Though a little over 1000 of those NPCs are just bandits in dungeons that only get counted because they're not randomly generated like in the other games. About 2000 is the population of all of its settlements, and over 800 of them have at least one unique line not shared by anyone else.

Also worthy of note is that these numbers do not count the voiced lines at all, of which there are over 7,000. This isn't as impressive as it sounds because those mostly consist just the greetings, combat callouts, and idle lines they say randomly when in range.

>WRPG
>Good

Attached: 1550794512153.png (371x320, 60K)

>They look incredibly similar visually and yes the loot is also similar in many of them.
Clearly retarded.

morrowind has some of the most diverse looking locations in any open world game. You just hate the game, played it for 2-3 hours and decided you didnt like it and now are reaching for reasons.

You expect someone who has clearly never playes a game he is criticizing to not be retarded?

Going to correct myself big time on the voiced lines thing: that was before filtering out the repeats. It's 2953 voiced lines total, and that's still with noting that only a small handful of them are "real" dialogue (primarily from the daedric and main quests) instead of just idle banter.

It's already better the instant the game starts. It's not a mass appeal shallow superhero game.

youtube.com/watch?v=6YIme0559do

dude every single cave and black temple looks the exact same

I guess they just have different priorities, they added all those books to the game, but they couldn't be bothered to make the NPCs more interesting than they are. SOme people might prefer lots of books to expand the lore, whiler I'd prefer some more unique dialog.

The story is 10/10 you tastelet.

I ate the Akulakhan and I now the end cutscene won't trigger. I was so hungry

Attached: nyoron-churuya-san-dorothy-binder.jpg (900x720, 91K)

There are several very visually distinct styles of cave in Morrowind, but he's right that there's also a ton that are virtually indistinguishable from each other. Kwama egg mines are the worst offenders, if you've seen one you've pretty much seen them all.

I feel like you two are arguing different points. On a large scale there is a lot of envrionmental variety in Morrowind but, on the smaller scale you actually play at, if you just walk into every dungeon you come across in the wilderness you're going to see the same stuff over and over again. They made a lot of different dungeon types but then put together 50+ of each of them with little variation within each type. The only memorable exceptions I can recall are that tomb in azura's coast with the hidden passage into the volcano and the grotto hiding a sunken dwemer ruin.

Now I didn't explore anywhere close to every dungeon in the game but I know I've visited at least 100 and for every one that did something unique or interesting there were two dozen more that just had the same set pieces arranged in different ways. Maybe you fondly remembered Daedric Shrines for their powerful scrolls and rare enchanted weapons lying around, but the actual layout of the dungeons were almost all the same: a small hallway leading to a big square room with the statue in the center and three offerings of valuables, one of which is a cursed item that has a chance to summon a dremora lord on pickup. You will have immediately memorized this routine by the time you visit three of them, yet there's still over 30 more you could potentially run into with the only differences being which statue is in the center and occasionally an upper level you can levitate to with a second entrance/exit.

As a fan of TES games, the story is never good. Sorry, but you're wrong.

it*s actually 17 years old user

Attached: 1550248918753.gif (500x324, 2.49M)

Daggerfall, Redguard and Morrowind all had good stories.

You fell for the meme, user. Elder Scrolls was never good.

Nah.

It's literally Kirkbride doing Hindu mythology on psychedelics and amphetamines. The Tribunal and the creation of Mer are literally the best parts of the ES Lore. There has never been a better story in a Bethesda game.

>tfw almost halfway on a 30 year old break from morrowind so I can forget as much of it as possible and then replay it again

nope, the game is simply bad, and your taste is deficient.

I won't disagree with you that it's the best TES has to offer, but it's still not a good story.

based and restless pilled

Attached: paradise.png (1440x1080, 1.39M)

I got into Morrowind after i played both Oblivion and Skyrim and while it's slower it has a lot more progression to it. It get's really good when you're travelling north to the Urshilaku camp in my opinion.

Make sure to read books and talk to NPCs about stuff you want to know more about

Attached: ashland_3_by_ogilac-daks3gr.png (1600x823, 1013K)

reminder to try out multiplayer

Attached: tes3mp_dagoth_ur.jpg (1920x1080, 606K)

>increases load times
I think you meant "decreases"

Why isn't there oblivion multiplayer?

Because Oblivion is easily the shittest TES game.

>Never believed the zoomer shit.
>This thread made me believe
>Mfw 20 years from now I'm gonna be reading this same thread but about RDR2 and GOW
It's a 17 year old game you dumb fucks.
No one in their right mind goes back to shit like FF7 and compliments shit like the dialogue or combat.
It was dope for it's time don't look too far into it.

Attached: R390EId.jpg (528x623, 59K)

tes3mp multiplayer mod is probably one of the best multiplayer RPG experiences on the market right now. it's insane how fun it is with friends. it reminded me of pen & paper roleplaying when we played it, same kind of dumb shenanigans

are you implying it's impossible to enjoy a 15 years old game 15 years later?

Some people are never satisfied.

>Mfw I said don't look too far into it
>Obviously this is Yea Forums so I get straw manned into something I never said.
I'm implying 90% of the fucks in this thread can't enjoy a 15 year old game.

Attached: Trump.png (903x556, 658K)

Levels 1-3 feel the slowest. I've always felt that.
Also, there's no shame in using console commands when the dark brotherhood glitch happens and they try to assassinate you at a way too low level.

how the fuck am I supposed to level my enchanting if it's one of my leveling disciplines if the soul gems are so rare and already out of stock pretty much anywhere?

I think I always get the mod that turns that off or delays it for a long time. If you manage to kill them, the gear sells for way too much, or can be used, so it destroys the challenge.

>when does it actually really get good, Yea Forums?
never, it only gets worse

elder scrolls games are glorified walkin sims who only got popular because muh open world

5 minutes in and you realize there is nothing to do in that open world because the combat is garbage

That's not how you spell Skyrim.

Not an argument.
Better games with better dialogue, combat and literally everything else have been done 17 years ago.

Best way is to just train it. You'll be swimming in gold pretty easily later in the game, and earlier if you know where to look. Visiting all the shops and buying all their petty gems to create crappy items also works, but takes effort.

You that same whiny fag from earlier?

Also, cast on use items raise enchanting, and you get some skill from recharging items.

>It was dope for it's time don't look too far into it.
its shit compared to baldurs gate games

the combat just sucks and the loot is boring

>Forgets about subjectivity when talking about games
>Doesn't list any games with a similar rpg approach to compare it to

Not an argument.
Sorry facts over feels faggot.
Might wanna go back to the tranny discord.

>sucking Biowares dick this hard
Wow, user.

you can get enchanting experience in morrowind simply from using enchanted items

get something cheap like the amulet of stamina at the balmora mages guild branch which costs 1 charge point to cast and restores a little fatigue. because of its low cast cost it automatically charges up another cast every 15 seconds or something like that, so you can set it to a quickslot (press F1 to open quickslot menu) and use it whenever you want, it'll level your enchanting at a decent rate with the added benefit of helping keep the green bar full longer when you're running and jumping.

>Lists baldurs fucking gate of all games
>Good combat
>Good loot.
>Mfw

Attached: WPMY6fO.png (479x455, 288K)

what? they tell you to silt strider your way there, why the fuck would i walk?

I drank an extremely strong speed potion and now I'm too fast. Also all my weapons break in one hit from my retard strength.

someone who just started a character for the first time here. I am just exploring and doing side quests while leveling my combat. I recommend that.

dont give a shit about bioware, but infinity engine games are literally the only good rpgs, because they are the closest to actual pen n paper and actually have good gameplay

shit like elder scrolls or the witcher are just sandboxes to show off graphics and muh open world

Baldurs gate was shit
youtube.com/watch?v=b8Xtbj0uCHk
I could barely make it through to end game.

You don't get skill from using cast on hit items.

Fair enough

in baldurs gate you actually can controll a party and must think strategic on higher difficulties

elder scrolls games however dont require any strategy at all, just grinding

i don't even like morrowind but voice acting for rpg's is a meme

I really don't remember Morrowind being this hard to understand when I first played it, and i probably didn't bother to read the manual because I was retarded. You should read the manual.

This game was aimed at people with intact imaginations.

BG1 and parts of BG2 are good, but ToB shouldn't have existed. It's way beyond the scope of P&P and just gets ridiculous.

That's just downright wrong though.

Oblivion was my first ES and I didn't like it that much, Skyrim was my second ES and the lore hooked me then I went onto OpenMW then Daggerfall.

There's no doubt a large amount of people like myself that played Skyrim first before moving onto Morrowind and enjoying it a lot more. In many aspects, Skyrim borrows a lot more from Morrowind than it does from Oblivion.

any "rpg" without party based combat is shit

it is fucking boring when you only controll a single character
you fight against way less enemies, have less options, and everything becomes way too easy and obvious

People still unironically enjoy the Illiad or Lang's Metropolis or Arcade Games, because they're fucking good you faggot cunt. Only plebeians like you need "better" graphics and controls. Morrowind's optics are both aesthetically and artistically superior to all RPGs of the last 10 years.

>No strategy
>Not aware of the games diseases that require certain potions to counteract or going to pray at a alter
>Certain undead mobs can permanently lower stats
>Not aware of enchanting certain items for either healing or certain spells like levitate
>Not aware like most RPGs mobs are resistant to certain status effects like fire/ice if they are based around said element

Holy yikes. I can go on user.

In other words, you must have autism and imagine that the NPCs aren't repeating the same lines of script over and over, or that there isn't a heavy feeling of similarity after you explore your third cave, how the entrance to those temples with higher level fags in them are pretty much identical, copypasted.

I never said they weren't good you dumb faggot.
I said that the faggot OP is retarded and looking too far into outdated shit.

Attached: BlD3bWQ.jpg (700x512, 57K)

>diseases that require certain potions to counteract
what has this to do with strategy? are you retarded?

there is no strategy in elder scrolls, because they are wannabe action games

in baldurs gate you have way more possibilities, and also fight against way more enemies at once

Oh so like baldurs gate?

right, should clarify that only applies to ones you literally "use" from the magic menu like that amulet. CoS benefits from but does not train it, and CE neither benefits from (due to having no charge cost) nor trains it.

I've never played Baldur's Gate

>Only addresses one of my points
>Doesn't know that certain areas in the game are more prone to give you diseases
>Doesn't know that reading books or talking to NPCs about said area gives you an idea of it
>Doesn't thinking working around the possibility of an outcome is strategy

You need help, sorry buddy.

Skyrim is a less shitty oblivion, sorry to tell you.

>Going this far to shill baldurs gate
>muh strategy

Baldurs gate was alright at best.
It falls into the trap all RPGs have, where by the end of the game you feel like you haven't accomplished shit and every npc is like "lol thanks for saving the world."

wow you can get deseases in an rpg, how revolutionary

the combat is still piss poor and boring compared to baldurs gate or even dragon age origins

rpgs only work with party based combat
otherwise they either turn into action games, like dark souls, or the combat just straight sucks ass like in morronwind

>by the end of the game you feel like you haven't accomplished shit
only retarded storyfags care about shit like this
go read a book if you want excessive dialogues and story

i like infinity engine games mainly because they actually have fun gameplay, which is really rare for rpgs

>Still only addresses the disease part of the argument

Have you played the game user? Wanna come back after you've played it buddy? Because it's obvious as fuck you haven't played it.

Here is the last (you) you get from me.
Facts over feels.
Enjoy shilling baldurs gate for the rest of the thread.

autismspeaks.org/expert-opinion/getting-evaluated-autism-adult-where-go-who-see

That's bullshit, the start is not even that painful. Just stick with whatever skills you picked and you'll be good in no time. I don't get why people pretend that Morrowind is a hard game to get in to, when it is not. The hardest thing to get used to is the rng hit based system, but even at skill level 20 you have fairly good chance at hitting. There's also a ring very close to beginning that gives you like 20 intelligence or something buff lmao. If you take magic route along with heavy armor and some melee skill, you're basically indesctructable tank. That's how I played my altmer the last time and could destroy everything that I came across no problem.

You know, for someone who tries to pretend to be rational you sure sound like an overdefensive bethesda drone who can't take a shred of criticism towards Morrowind. You already called some other user lord british cocksucker (I haven't played anything made by him other than Ultima VII), and thought I was the guy who prefers Baldur's Gate. Todd, get the fuck out of Yea Forums and go fix your blunderous Fallout 52 metascore

I don't understand why arguments about Morrowind's combat so often revolve around the chance to miss. Even with a proper build and proper stamina management that consistently hits and kills enemies it is beyond dull to spam a power attack at something until someone falls over. I get that people don't play Morrowind for the combat mechanics, but it hurts exploration too when new enemies I find won't be fun to fight and new weapons I find won't be fun to use.

Skyrim is Oblivion but dumbed down for the Assassin's Creed and COD generation.

Ignore the main story until you've actually got good shit, user. Walk around, explore, do what you want, take what you want, kill who you want. Remap the controls if you need to, the default feels kinda weird. Overall Morrowind is a game about offering unparalleled freedom, which is why it's daunting to people who are used to more linear games. As a new player, go around and talk to people, exhaust all the dialogue options. They'll tell you about various local things, places of interest, other people to talk to, etc. Again, you can do all of this, or you can just slaughter everyone if that's more your speed. It's your world, so go nuts.

>I don't understand why arguments about Morrowind's combat so often revolve around the chance to miss.
Because implementing chances to miss is beyond retarded in such real time combat.
It's like they tried to shoehorn an rpg into some shitty action game.

It really only works with some form of turn based combat.

What makes it crap aside from the shitty combat?

Honestly, if you didn't play this back when it was released you're probably not going to like it. The appeal of Morrowind when it came out was that it was the deepest open world game that existed at the time, it was amazing. There was endless wonder as you explored an alien world in what felt like astounding graphics. It's been outdone by a lot of games now, it's still a great game, but it has aged. If you're younger than 20 it will probably hurt your eyes with it's 17 year old graphics.

Attached: 2609750_300.jpg (300x300, 19K)

>What makes it crap aside from the shitty gameplay?
do you really need any more reasons?

elder scrolls would be awesome, if they just would get the main gameplay right, the combat

Bethesda have literally never made a good game. It was shit at release and it's a laughing stock now.

>it will probably hurt your eyes with it's 17 year old graphics
baldurs gate games STILL look awesome
but of course bethesda had to be trendy and go full 3d

It's dumb and a bad design decision but it's only the very tip of the iceberg when it comes to Morrowind's combat being boring. So much attention is brought to something ultimately pretty negligible beyond the first fistful of hours when the entire rest of the combat system is the real problem.

>Being unable to enjoy a game if it does not contain some sort of weeb aspect
user, your retard is showing again

sure, but that one flaw is so obvious and clear that it's a popular flaw
it just looks funny too

skyrim is better

>Makes complete judgement on an rpg from one aspect
Okay buddy. The combat gets better really fast if you're not utterly retarded with your skill distribution. Besides, if that's really your only problem, you can easily mod the game to take that out entirely.

when you wake up in the ship
i always walk, it's fun and get to find shit

>from one aspect
except that one aspect is literally the main gameplay you fucking retard

>The combat gets better really fast
it really doesn't

>you can easily mod the game to take that out entirely
i've already spend hundreds of hours modding elder scrolls games
you can't really fix the combat in them

picking flowers for that dumb khajit is comfy

Attached: 1546114061238.jpg (550x550, 46K)

>equates gameplay with combat
so you really went full retard...

yea, because pacifist runs are soo fun elder scrolls

then stop asking every single npc what the local services are if you don't want to hear the same line telling you what the local services are. contrary to what people claim, the npcs dont all share the exact same dialogue. the dialogue is different when it matters and there's more than enough of it to differentiate the many factions and groups that have their own takes on things. go ask anyone about their own race for a glorification, then ask a dark elf of the "noble" class (you find them often in great house offices or manors) about that same race to hear why they're shit and what use, if any, they can be exploited for, then talk to a "savant" (typically the best dressed person in a tavern) for the academic take on that race (this one really is like a wiki entry, savants and scouts are full of those), and then ask the same of an ashlander wise woman to hear why they're extra shit and useless and should just gtfo their land.

most topics that aren't literal directions are like this. yes, two egg miners aren't going to have any disagreements about the goals and challenges of egg mining, but at least you can ask the egg miners what those are instead of all of them having nothing to say, which is basically the only alternative you get in games with thousands of npcs. except maybe longrunning mmos which continue writing content for many years after release.

it's a game both with a lot of unique dialogue and a lot of systemic dialogue. the unique dialogue is used for all the quests and major characters and the systemic dialogue is used for everything else. they both serve their purposes well. if you always talk to everyone you find and ask them everything you possibly can, then you're going to get the impression that the systemic dialogue is all there is and you're going to have a bad time hearing the same shit over and over again when you visit your first city. if you break that habit and keep visiting new places, you'll find there's a whole lot going on.

is the thinking men's game. The ultimate litmus test to see if a man has patrician taste or belong in the row of pathatic plebs or zoomer shits.
>HURR I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO KEEP WRITTEN NOTES ABOUT A FUCKING VIDEO GAME
THEN YOU ARE DOING YOUR LIFE WRONG ASSHOLE

when you start playing Arx Fatalis instead

Is it cheating if you play the trading game with the drunken mudcrab?

Probably, but at some point you need to ask yourself how much your time is worth and how often you want to spend running from town to town cleaning out merchants of their coin.

nah, but play it with caldera scamp instead, same "buy=>sell one session" trick
damn, I haven't done this since 2004 still remember the little details, this is why I can't replay the thing

to be fair, you needed to do that only pre tribunal when journal was a giant unsorted book

you are stupid if you think 15% of gameplay is what make the game

Yeah, Scamp is an option if you feel lame for using the mudcrab. He's not even hidden really.

Yep, ok zoomy. Keep eating your bland sugary food, maybe in another decade or so you'll start to develop some taste.

I played this game at release, I was 13 I think. I never actually played the main quest, only guilds and mods.

>dial up internet for crazy money
yep, I downloaded those player houses.

Actually high speed internet was common around 2001 unless you lived in rural area or 3rd world. I downloaded mods at wiwiland.

we got fiber only in 2005

Why haven't you joined the winning team yet?
>OpenMW
>Fully open source
>Built in multiplayer
>Soon to allow for a dehardcoded Morrowind
>Can be used on Android
>Eventually will support Oblivion and Skyrim

Attached: 746483.jpg (816x979, 93K)

>Eventually will support Oblivion and Skyrim
what?

Morrowind has no appeal to the average modern gamer.
Just play Skyrim and go slay some dragons instead, you’ll have way more fun that way.

>youtube.com/watch?v=oWPAGuPsQ4A
>youtube.com/watch?v=U58gC1EAtMI

For the standards back then it was probably pretty awesome (dat water) but thanks to Yea Forums I forced myself through that game and well, it has not aged well and theres plenty of things to complain about

Fuck cliffracers

Hold on. When Skywind releases couldn't they in theory just port the assets and textures and have us play Skyrim graphics level Morrowind?

It's true. faglets can't handle games where they aren't given direction and their hand isn't being held.

Back then we used DSL/ADSL, around 150-200kb/s which was plenty enough. Unfortunately I'm outside the city now and I can only have wireless internet which suck for online gaming.

Nothing is cheating in Morrowind.

No because Skywind isn't gonna finish.

>When Skywind releases
haha, yea they could, it's not that hard with modern tools, they decided to do their own thing

I wonder if they put modern lighting engine in this. it's the only thing I want to be changed.

I mean 200KB/s, about 1-2Mbits/s

To be fair there is no reason to cheat in Morrowind.
The difficulty curve is a cliff.

to emulate Morrowind feel in Oblivion/Skyrim I lower difficulty to lowest when I reach high enough level
fuck level scaling for everything.

tell us where you are in the game dumbass. why would it matter if you started it a couple days ago, how do we know you even played it again since then. if you're not thoroughly enjoying yourself after 3 hours you're probably doing something wrong. don't be timid, go places, retreating from enemies is very easy in this game. tinker with the map. stop being brainlet.

so this same guy has made a Deus Ex thread, a Super Metroid thread, and now a Morrowind thread today

The first five seconds.