I just want RE8 to be a longer version of Derelict House Tape with more enemy variety

I just want RE8 to be a longer version of Derelict House Tape with more enemy variety.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BrmpbVPTDCw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

same

That's gonna be a no for me, dog.

Attached: L_A.jpg (600x572, 141K)

I want it to be set in a small town near the Arklay Mountains where strange disappearances are taking place. You play as a hardboiled noir detective investigating the case. Eventually the clues lead you to the restricted area where Raccoon City was supposed to be only to find out the city was rebuilt and used as training grounds for BOWS, only this time not by Umbrella, but by the American Government itself.

I just want to see Billy and HUNK at the same time in one game.

>but by the American Government itself.

Isnt that pretty much the case with RE7? Like we dont know who The Connections are but they sound like a govt organisation.

Yeah honestly RE7 was the first game to get found footage done right in games. Shit like Outlast is unbearable since it's nothing but hide and seek and jump scares while this was pure atmosphere and exploration

I like parts of this, honestly a found footage part of the early events of RE1 in the Arklay mountains which leads to the stars investigation would be pretty sick having to deal with packs on RE2 Remake level zombies in first person.

I was gonna say, it reminds me of Outlast.
The important thing is to have friendly NPCs investigating the spooky shit with you.
But how do you even have enemies if you can't evade them ala Outlast.

Well you wouldnt be evading. Its more about the tone of the game than gameplay. The gameplay could just be RE7's gameplay albeit with more improvements.

Close but I'd want:
A small Maine or Washington town in the woodlands with high numbers of disappearances, and it turns out that the city itself is a test site for BOWs to see how well their monsters operate in rural, suburban and urban settings and on covert missions

Am I right in assuming that RE7's lighting and general aesthetic is inspired by found-footage films? I know there are the tapes, but I always found the overall color-grading very much reminiscent of mockumentaries and the like.

>Am I right in assuming that RE7's lighting and general aesthetic is inspired by found-footage films

The tapes are but the main game is probably more closer to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre in aesthetic. At least thats what they were going for.

...why?

I think the tapes are an homage to found footage while the general lighting is reminiscent of early 2000s horror movies where most light sources were dim and yellow/greenish

RE7 was definitely inspired by found footage movies, arguably REC at points. The game kind of feels like a bunch of friends got together and made something to pay homage to their favorite films.
youtube.com/watch?v=BrmpbVPTDCw

>training grounds for BOWS, only this time not by Umbrella, but by the American Government itself.
Eh, just make it The Family with control over the American Government, since they've already established them as the true big bad. "The Gubmint is Evil!" is a boring, tired trope that Resident Evil has mercifully been pretty sparse on.

Or better yet, fuck your idea and just make Leon and/or Jill the protagonist or protagonists, time to mix up the dynamic.

Just the general atmosphere and setting. I love RE7 but derelict house tape had more personality than most of the game.
>The ghost adventures type vibe
>The banter
>The sudden point of everything going wrong
>Not much explained

Just feels like the right way for RE to go after 7.

I dont think the series should head back to Leon and co after 7.

The films that inspired RE7 include:
The Blair Witch Project (the VHS tapes and general hysteria and shaky off camera madness in the tapes)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the dinner table scene and the idea of being locked in s house with a murderous family)
The Evil Dead (The way the Bakers are a normal family then are suddenly possessed and overcome with madness, Jack saying "groovy", main character losing his arm, looking for people to "join them")
Hills Have Eyes (the way the baker lure people to the house and kill them, keep records of them and clipping of the news detailing their disappearance)
The Exorcist (mostly Marguerite and the creepy shit she does)
Saw (everything with Lucas)
Jeepers Creepers (the normal, yet creepy run down house has a huge secret lair under it where the bad guy takes his victims and repurposes their bodies)
The Ring (Eveline and the static on TVs)
Jack also becomes something similar to Swamp Thing in End of Zoe, I'm sure theres movies they drew inspiration from here
That's all I could think of right now, I'm sure theres more.

Alien Isolation was a big influence

No, it should do exactly that. 7 was good for the first hour or so, and the rest was mediocre generic horror with a Resident Evil aftertaste. Comparitively, RE2make was leagues ahead of it, and RE4, to this day, holds up remarkably from a game design standpoint.

The perfect RE game is not a continuation of what 7 attempted, but rather something that takes what worked about RE4 and RE2make and refines them into a tense experience that neither overempowers or disarms the player in the face of odds that seem insurmountable from a practical, narrative, and mechanical standpoint, all the while maintaining an atmosphere and pacing that benefits the horror aspect while also leaving room for an occasional outlet of mild levity.

Either Leon or Jill are the ideal protagonists in this aspect, since Chris is too much of a leader to act alone in a claustrophobic setting at this point in the timeline without extremely extenuating circumstances that likely put him through the same character arc we've seen him go through about 3 or so times by now.

Attached: 12523040_1686650571577706_4009082696420810212_n.jpg (800x747, 50K)

The discussion going on here is keeping RE8 grounded in horror. Going even more twilight zone/remote little American town.

Not turning it into a generic TPS that is RE2 you fucking retard.

Remake 2 is the same way. The sewers and lab are RE7's ship and SAW house, but everything else before that was top notch in both games.

>Make another action horror TPS fuck ambience

Yikes

I hear you. I felt like that could have been an interesting game unto itself.

I think a paranormal investigation game would be cool as fuck. Like, half of the game is scoping out locations and learning the history of places. The other half is wandering haunted murderhobo infested bedbug hotels, and getting chased by spooky shit in sewers.

>The discussion going on here is keeping RE8 grounded in horror. Going even more twilight zone/remote little American town.
I'm aware, and while I admit it was an interesting diversion, it is not the right direction for Resident Evil going forward.

Agreed. The key to the puzzle here is figuring out how to have a good 3rd act while keeping the sci-fi elements often present alive and prevalent. I feel like the best way to do this is from a mechanical perspective, I.E. throwing circumstances at you that the previous chapters did not prepare you for (and I don't mean cover mechanics. Looking at you, RE5.)

>I'm aware, and while I admit it was an interesting diversion, it is not the right direction for Resident Evil going forward.

Considering RE7 being a massive success and RE2 using a fuckload of 7 assets pretty much ensures its right direction. Or would you rather go back down the road of RE6? I dont.

>Considering RE7 being a massive success
Critically speaking, arguably, but you're being a bit generous with this statement, from both a financial and mechanical perspective. A second foray into that territory will not go nearly as well, particularly because the Derelict House Tape is remarkably forgettable from all perspectives, horror or otherwise.

What you are suggesting would be ideal for an Android/IOS spinoff, but to suggest it would be ideal for the next entry in the franchise is just absolutely ludicrous and I'm dying to understand the train of thought that led to that conclusion.

>and RE2 using a fuckload of 7 assets
And yet, in the end, they're both very different games. Assets are simply that; assets; a shared engine and some re-used models and coding here and there (none of which I actually noticed, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here and taking your questionably valid word for it.) Both games have their own unique approach to horror, one of which is a title crafted with the western Lets Play audience in mind (it is; stop trying to deny it, and I take back the comment about the first hour being great; I'm just now remembering how laughably bad the beginning section is with Mia's appearance.)

RE2make took was was there with a classic Japanese PS1 horror title and improved on it when I thought the trailers looked like garbage while RE7 did the exact opposite.

I think it's mostly the level design. The locations get much more linear and less open in the later parts, and the puzzles often get simplified too, plus the action gets kicked up to 11 and theres basically no horror or survival aspects left

I just hope they have RE8 be an FPS. RE7 being FPS worked out a lot better than I thought it would and it would be a shame if they just abandoned that perspective after one game.

>it is not the right direction for Resident Evil going forward.
>its not the right direction because I don't like it
Fuck off.

...did you like it?

I'd like to respectfully ask why. Everything RE7 offered was done before and better in other horror franchises and everything it did well was hardly a product of it's setting that couldn't be applied better in a more traditionally "Resident Evil" Resident Evil game.

Oh yeah? I want Umbrella Corps, but not in Unity and with actual content and no terrible maps. It's fun

The fact that RE7 tried to employ the scary psychic loli trope kind of turned me right the fuck off in later chapters.

>Everything RE7 offered was done before and better in other horror franchises
No? At least not in recent years. No other franchises recently have even tried to be like RE. Its all been Outlast shit.