Looking for a populated place

is there any older game where NPCs have full lives that you can just observe? like they get up in the morning and go to work at this shop, etc. preferably first person 3D. i just want to hang around and watch the little anthropological complete system operate.
You hear about this in hype for games sometimes then it's not pulled off.
I gather Red Dead Redemption 2 has it but i can't run that and don't really like the setting

Attached: fantasy_town_entrance_exit_by_brandongobey-d722y3r.jpg (1024x576, 148K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:People
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't think anything like that exists, maybe Dwarf Fortress but that isn't remotely close to what you want.

Just go downtown, buy a coffee and take a seat on a bench. People watching is kino

>games have been around for 40+ years
>no one has ever made a game like this
wow, games as a medium is really dead huh?

Try Oblivion, Gothic, Risen, stalker, europa 1400,

the problem is i can't interrogate those people
-where do you work
-where do you live
so i can't build the complete system model in my head which is what i want to do
and i'm not in a village so even if i did it's too vast, too many obscure jobs. i want to know the everything operating within a boundary

damnb

oh do people in stalker (retail version) have things they do when you're not around etc? or do i need mod mod mod

I am pretty sure there are city builders / God games with this functionality. Tropico maybe ?

Why not Skyrim or Oblivion? They have just that and are pretty easy to run. Hell, you don't need to play the games, just look up their routine on UESP or something, they probably already have it all detailed there if you want to do some weird vydia research

Majoras mask

because i've seen some videos of npc in these games and they seem totally broken and fucked up. are those cherry picks maybe?

none, videogames are designed around the player being the catalyst for basically everything that can possibly happen in the game

Stalker cop is your thing especially when you are out exploring, they sleep , drink vodka, explore, sit down play guitar at camps etc

It's not dead. It's just there's so many types of games, they haven't got to it yet.

Kingdom Come Deliverance is good for this but I'm guessing that's much too modern/demanding. Oblivion was supposed to have this shit but they dialed it back a lot from what was planned. NPCs still have some manner of schedule though.

>tfw NPCs are always on the move and you have to go find them
Oblivion gave me a headache.

Yes in matter of fact NPCs would actually do the main quests and even beat the game if you took too long, they had to patch that part out.

Not really, sure the NPCs are retarded but they usually carry out their routine like they're supposed to unless you go out of your way to stop them or some kind of scripted event from quests happens which might fuck some things up

lol just go to a park or some public place and watch people do their npc routines

I think the Unofficial Oblivion patch is supposed to fix the radiant AI so they actually do things they're meant to do and not just stand for hours doing nothing.

if i follow them to see where they live ill get in trouble again

This is the type of “artistic” game that should be made.

en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:People
everybody listed on this page (and even some of the nameless and therefore unlisted npcs - bandits in caves and ruins and such) have schedules and requirements. At such and such time, they wake up. Go find food. If they can't find food at their normal spot, say the local inn, they'll scrounge. You can leave poisoned apples lying around after taking all the rest of the food in the area and watch them keel over after having a merry easter egg hunt and finding only your treacherous bounty.
Or you can just watch as they go about their lives, visiting shops and workplaces, etc.

>if i follow them to see where they live ill get in trouble again
getting caught?

sounds like you need to git gud

man maybe i should play this. if i just watch them i won't have to hear the stilted voice acting

I recommend Radiata Stories. Everyone has a daily loop once you get to the actual city, and if that's not enough you could follow them around and recruit a large chunk of them into your party.

Attached: Radiata_Stories.jpg (256x357, 29K)