I only programm games in C++

If you make games using C# or Blueprints you're fucking faggot.

Attached: c++.png (1200x1349, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/rMw4WbhX
youtube.com/user/handmadeheroarchive
overthewire.org/wargames/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZWQ0591PAxM
pikopik.itch.io/cooking-with-tracy
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Python noob here, how hard would it be for me to learn c++ and recommend some books for me

Attached: uit67456vfc45e0jn78zn78g.png (624x642, 378K)

Books? lol .Try Youtube or Udemy courses.
Never read books. They are overly complicated

learn english before learning any programming language, faggot

Bolt for Unity converts C# code to C++ natively at run time. It's also often easier to understand visual scripting languages, and avoiding manual garbage collection is a plus.

Attached: 1549833452815.jpg (400x400, 27K)

Daily reminder that Rust is safer than c++ and has the same performance. It is an objectively better language

OP here, i just want to say that im an italian faggot who never touch an programm language. babity bopi. mama lasagna and all this shit

>making games

Enjoy the over saturated market and dealing with trannies, faggots, and most importantly the retards on here.

Rust has the same problem as Golang-- too specific to be used everywhere. Also, the lack of library support makes it inferior to a mature language like C++.

Keep it simple, stupid. Our friends at Microsoft and elsewhere have put a lot of time into making C++ a language that will help you succeed. Only a fool would forego that.

This is a decent book.

But really, you'll probably learn faster just by searching for tutorials online. Books are better for solidifying your theoretical knowledge. Web searches are better for getting a quick, practical knowledge.

Attached: cpp.jpg (398x499, 39K)

BARBARA E. MOOOOOOOO

>tfw learning blueprints at this very second
>tfw not a C-uck

feels based man

I use C.

I make them in Java

Attached: 1539358669541.gif (400x560, 1.5M)

please kill yourself

I heard Java's a terrible choice for gamedev, is that true?

I'm actually making a 3d-game in Java as we speak, it'll hit the digital shelves next year, and I'll rake in the money

Attached: 1536945289400.png (420x420, 16K)

i use gml. sue me

While mobile games are dominating the industry, no

Try making games in MIPS Assembler you faggot.

Attached: 0eb.jpg (768x1024, 90K)

I've heard that as well, and I honestly don't know surely. I enjoy programming in Java and I just figured, if Minecraft can be made in Java, then I'm good since I don't plan on making anything more graphically advanced than that. Now I have a 3d-game up and running with quite simple graphics and pretty good performance.

if you really wanna be a jap you might as well program it in ruby

>not programming android shit in Kotlin

Tell me about a game you've made. Because speaking as someone who can easily manage template metaprogramming, building a game in c++ strikes me as having more focus on the engine and less on the gameplay.

Also, naturally I'm using LWJGL and I think that uses C++ in certain ways, so I guess I'm not using PURE Java

>that 32 year old systems engineer who thinks making his own game engine is a worthy endeavor outside of satisfying his own stubborn autism

>high level programming language
yikes
where my pc from the 80s /machinecode/ bros at

what about games in python or java?

You're trash for using Object-Oriented. What too much of a baby to use C? Too afraid of malloc?

who /OpenGL/ here

Attached: file.png (1029x658, 235K)

I'm doing it mainly to learn to program better, and to have fun while doing it. Nothing wrong with that.

Doesn't matter what language, as long as you're an idea guy and know what you're doing, you'll be great

didnt alot of early browser 3d games use java?

show us the code you larper faggot

>not C
C++ is a trainwreck. The only redeeming factor is the massive collection of libraries.

Java has garbage collection. And developing something for pc in java would have you jump through the hoops so that garbage collection runs when you want it and not whenever

If I wanted to learn how to make video games in college, which major would I choose?

>library support
it has SDL and OpenGL, what the fuck else do you need?

Me, Java (with LWJGL) + OpenGL (yes, I followed the thinmatrix tutorials)

Java is garbage for those kind of performance requirements and so is Python

Notch?

I've read that, but I haven't run into any problems with it in-game. It just werks.

>Not making your engine in Vulkan

You do want your game to be playable, right?

Imperative > Declarative

The one with the most programming. Language doesn't matter that much since you CAN make a game in pretty much any language, and if you can program well in one language you can learn any other language easily

This.
C/C++ for engines, C#, Java for game logic. (Unless it's a crazy taxing sim game or has a lot of AI)

But if you're using visual scripting you are either gay or a designer. (Most likely both.)

Hi. I'm a literal retard, can I learn to code? If so how? it's this or i go off to find another shitty mmo to play.

Attached: 1520607532563.png (188x264, 77K)

I only program games in C.
If you make games using object-oriented shit you're a fucking faggot.

After my next game I will be :^)

Thats bullshit and you know it.

Go with python, there are some resources for complete beginners on the official site.

C# is for business.

You could become a code monkey but you won't be able to achieve anything on your own.

It's not that big of an issue when you are doing something with simple 3d, but anything more and it starts eating ram or running gc. For 2d I'd recomment LibGDX, don't know about their 3d support, but they have a lot of optimized data structures and other useful stuff.

Wouldn't that C# a bad choice, too?

Not really. C/C++/C# and Java (the ones I've used) are very similar, especially Java and C# (they are pretty much the same language with differences in what things are called, imo).

What I've seen of Python is also very similar. If you understand the logic of programming, you can understand any language to some extent, you just need to brush up on what that specific language calls things.

With free money like code monkeys make its not a bad thing

>programming threads on Yea Forums
what's even worse than this is that I just know that most of you are responsible for the fact that /g/ is so garbage now

Attached: 1541010365930.jpg (1000x1000, 230K)

>if you can program well in one language you can learn any other language easily
This. It can't be stated enough. Language elitists think learning how to write fizzbuzz in C++ makes them "leet coders" or whatever. A good programmer is more concerned with generic problems like how to structure your code base and how to implement non-blocking multi-threading.

It doesn't matter what language you start off learning since they all ultimately converge in complexity.

don't listen to this fucking retard > read this book, it's great for learning the fundamentals, I used it in my first year of uni and it basically carried me the whole way.
After that you can just look up tutorials on whatever you want to specialize on (graphics APIs, game engines, math shit etc)

Attached: file.png (1227x1502, 1.93M)

It doesn't really matter that much if it runs garbage collection during gameplay though, it just chops a bit for a few seconds, which happens in pretty much all games, triple A or indie, anyway. Naturally I'm not advocating for making highly graphically intensive games in java, but for something along the lines of the average indie game Java is fine.

I haven't worked with C#. Someone told me you had more control over garbage collection in C#, but don't quote me on that.

Thanks
What do you mean achieve like make my own video game? or make a really good program?
>A programmer who isn't actually involved in any aspect of conceptual or design work, but simply writes code to specifications given.
Is that what a code monkey is just someone who writes code?
I don't think i could be a game designer i've got no ideas, well no original ideas anyway. I just need a more productive way to spend my time.
learning to code doesn't seem too bad.
Thanks I'll check it out.

Mostly this. There is a reason why pseudocode is accepted for problem solving, and the term code monkey exists. Most of programming is ifs, loops, assignments, math operations etc. They are all fundamentally the same in any language.

what's wrong with /g/?

Yeah, in C# you can call destructors directly, unlike in Java where calling a destructor just gives a recommendation to the GC that it doesn't have to follow.

Yeah, that's the main problem. It's fine when you do something 2d or turn based, but any language with garbage collection is generally bad for high performance 3d, since you can't just throw more ram at your server.

They are similiar in syntax but not "unde the hood". C# / Java have garbage collection for example while C does not.
C isn't object oriented but allows you to manipulate memory directly.
C/C++ are using pointers, c# has "pseudo pointers (ref keyword)" and java has nothing like this.

Just to name a few differences.

There's no chance someone with low motivation will ever have the willpower to go through actually learning C++ properly without guidance. If you're aiming to be a computer scientist, then maybe; it's a tough but good language to learn some more about the inner workings of a computer system. I'd even rather recommend C at that point.
If you're just looking to learn how to code, trying to understand C++ on your own is the shortest path to giving up.

Never even been to /g/

That is not assembler

I only make games using engines with user-friendly scripts, most of which I copy directly from tutorials and youtube videos.

No. /g/ is garbage because of you. Look at your post. It is of low quality. It is off-topic. It is not even fun.

You could have asserted your superiority by lisp-posting. You could have helped and guided the people who were still naive and interested in programming. You could have posted something relevant. What you chose was to post a shitty reaction image. What made /g/ bad? It is You.

>MIPS
Literally instruction set for brainlets

If you really are "stupid" you won't be able to write good, efficient code. But that's not really required most of the times anyways so just go for it. But try to stick to java or c# at first.

Stay away from Python or C/c++ at first.

Hacker question:

Is it possible to infiltrate saved data that is stored on a server? If so, how?

Of course there are differences, nobody said otherwise.

Didn't C# have C style pointers after you use unsafe keyword and compiler flags?

Sure, but it has been used irl for game development so suck my dick.

C isn't that bad. It's pretty basic, it's just the pointers that are a bitch to grasp.

it's Yea Forums 2.0

Attached: 333.jpg (1712x888, 329K)

I didn't like using java myself but eh

You mean you make games with Unreal Engine. UE just happens to use C++.

You don't want to make a game in C++, trust me, it's not fun.

If I was smarter I wouldn't have spent so much of my youth playing mmos, so I'd say it's fair to call me stupid. But I appreciate you suggesting languages that would be good for me try tackling Thank you for your consideration.

specify save data.
Like passwords? storing those would be a massive security hazard.

Depends on the scale of your project. It's unlikely you'll hit any real bottleneck that's purely java-based unless you're aiming big.

Not really, if the server is secure. You could try to download some program and do a port scan / vulnerability scan on the server if you know the adress, and see if it has any known security flaws. After that you could try some kind of attack I guess.

Neat i can finally slip into /g/ and ask all the tech questions i've been to scared to ask for years.

>not using Lisp

Attached: 220px-Jak_and_Daxter_-_The_Precursor_Legacy_Coverart.png (220x313, 143K)

>you could have posted memes, that really would've helped
almost nobody here wants help (other than the guy literally asking what to study) and instead they're acting like they know everything already all the while claiming they're gonna make video games in Java because muh Notch

>(((Lisp)))

What rasterization algorithm do you use? Scanline? Edge function? Something else? How do you SIMD and parallelize it?

what's important in programming is understanding how your code maps to the computer architecture and the various impact of certain operations on such architecture.
Languages like C++ make memory operations explicit so that you can reason about the performance of the code. Other languages are a waste of time.

It's fun if you just want to program and need an excuse. Double fun if you want to learn the complicated GPU stuff and get fun optimization and code management challenges. Not fun at all if you just want to get a game done and programming you is a necessary evil.

then use /sqt/ or appropriate generals if you must

>Rasterization algo
>implying that isn't handled by libraries like OpenGL

I don't gamedev but even I know you're full of shit.

this seems like a catch 22 user, what isn't a stupid question on /g/

>claiming they're gonna make video games in Java because muh Notch

nothing wrong with that, Java is pretty fun to use

So have(and currently are) other assembly languages, even if only for fine tuning or inlining.
Nowadays, MIPS is only used to teaching assembler to first year college student.

yes, but the infiltration has to be done with a directX wrapper, otherwise you'll need to use openGL to crack the C# netcode
for windows, anyway...

Attached: 1494429084425.jpg (380x333, 113K)

>not going full software rendering like in good ol' days
ISHYGDDT

Attached: shiggy diggy.gif (312x234, 1.7M)

Maybe i should tell you why i recommended those languages:

c# & java are very common so you will find a lot of resources to learn from. They are also very similiar in style (ofc there are some differences but you won't have to think about them at first).
They are also something that is called a "high level language". That means that a lot of the very complicated stuff (memory managment for example) is mostly taken care of so you won't have to learn much about that.

C/C++ on the other hand allow (require) you to do almost everything yourself and they are also using something thats called a "pointer" which is pretty complicated for a beginner,

I wish you good luck user.

>Java is fun
the hell is wrong with you

Attached: 4yy.png (1285x691, 97K)

I enjoy wordy languages since I enjoy code that looks like a language instead of a series of abbreviations

>FactoryGeneratedAdditor

I loled because it's true.

You can use C++ like you would C, you don't have to use anything you don't want to.

I wish it was funny

Attached: 4.jpg (720x720, 72K)

Nice reddit meme there, fag. Though I do know some people who write factories like this.

>I have spent the last 15 years making an engine I must change at every direct X update and the demo is a pong, and you that can make games easily are bad
haha o wow

>Nice reddit meme
there are actual design patterns describing what's shown in there

Not passwords and username, moreso inventory and stats for online games like Anthem and The Division 2. I don't care to hack other people moreso, how to hack and boost my character.

I see.

What about for Linux?
Yes, I want to try to hack into online PS4 games.

Wow, an actual smart person in a programming thread

Arduino is actually quite good for learning C, since you're supposed to keep it light and optimized, and you get to actually interact with the metal and even use assembler.

>there was an error somewhere
>when you know exactly the problem
anybody approving that shit deserve painful death

Sure, but first real result of reverse image searching is reddit.

What about godot? Is it too new to build anything? Is it bad?

I don't discriminate my google searches

I like you, OP.

Attached: 1548189585009.jpg (1280x720, 127K)

Usually passwords are one way encrypted then stored in a database, so it wouldn’t matter if they got leaked.

>converting C# to C++
>at runtime
>C++
>manual garbage collection
kys

>that's the only issue
>in this PERFECTLY NORMAL java code
Come on man.

Forget it, Unless you're a security researcher. those servers are probably already secured against any common exploits.

>converts C# code to C++
>natively at run time.

no it doesn't.

show your games OP

Attached: 1538592035560s.jpg (250x208, 5K)

> not making your game in Q#
Disgusting.

>whaaaaa I only use "var" and "object" and can't know what my variables are or do, it's your fault programming is racist and sexist holy shit.

When a primitive equals null, you really don't know where the error is.

>recommending OOP and C++ to people who never programmed before
you might as well tell them to blow their brains out
if you want to access data on the server, you need to break into the server just like any other. Games can sometimes be exploitable by intercepting and editing data packets that are sent to the server, but any decent game these days will check for irregularities and won't accept your shit.
>what about for linux
if you haven't noticed that post was meme and I don't even understand what you're asking about linux

Nice quote there faggot.

I understand that you feel sad about the current state of /g/ and now that /tech/ is dead, there is nowhere to go. But this is not the way to deal with it. Venting your anger by posting shit posts only shittifies (yes, really) this board as well. You really need to be the change you want to see in others. Stop being the whiny kid who posts feels guy edits and reaction pics in general and write on-topic. Write something others might find interesting. Or if you just want to hurt others, please be at least entertaining.

Why are you posting meme code to try and make a point?

>OOP and C++ to people who never programmed before
How about game maker studio? It seems somewhat user friendly from what I've seen

That picture is obvious bait if you didnt know it and none of it is even required.
Not that java is good, mind you.

>tfw have a grasp of programming fundamentals from tutorials over the years but feel lost in the grand scheme of things

should I go back to school or go ham on a C++ textbook or what

Great for making games, not as great for learning to code. It all depends on your objective, really.

Not that guy, but you completely missed the point of his meme arrows.

There is no way something can convert code at runtime, and if it did, it would be horrendously inefficient. Also, C# has an automatic GC. I think that guy meant "you don't have to write malloc and destructors" while writing C++.

Also, what's the point of converting C# to C++ anyway? Both are compiled onto your machine. They both end up as machine code, the only difference is that C# can do it "Just In Time" like java can.

i've never used it but i hear python is great for beginners. I feel that C is also great because its really simple. the only hard part people hate is the pointers and memory management but you need to learn that anyways if you want to do real programming.

I'm not a Java beginner anymore but I also don't know what to do next.
I've been told to switch to a more active learning stance but this lead me nowhere really.

Please recommend me some resource, anything really, to just generally improve my knowledge and skills without starting at the beginner shit.

start programming shit

Hey OP I didn't read your thread but I want you to know that you're objectively incorrect, and want to advise you to move on to more modern languages lest you be left out in the cold when the time comes.

>This language will always be used!
said coders primarily proficient in languages now considered dead and outdated.

Well what do you know?

>There is no way something can convert code at runtime

Attached: you.webm (334x250, 695K)

That really depends on what your career goals are. My suggestion is to try and build something entirely by yourself from the ground up. If you're doing webdev, build your own webapp, including your own docker container, jenkins build, etc. If you're doing gamedev, build your own game in an engine of your choice.

What you learn depends on where you want to go. But building a project from start to finish will tell you what you need to learn.

I genuinely think anyone could be a programmer, even if 50% of people would not enjoy it, as once you get past shit like syntax and structure you're basically just working with logic as you normally might.

However, everyone has a different way of learning it that works. Some people work great by themselves, with infinite self motivation, and a snap-fast attachment and understanding of new information. Others require other people around to keep them motivated and offer suggestions of what to do or learn next. Try that if you haven't yet, it certainly helped me.

I see, so it's better to quit before getting started

And clearly I'm ignorant, but if I recall correctly, PS4 uses Linux as its operating system.

not efficiently. going from one language to another is computationally expensive. you can barely compile to machine code at runtime. going from one language to another then to machine code is extremely slow as well as unneccessary

Try do some project. For example write a simple HTTP server that serves the contents of a directory. Then extend it to allow uploads or render a stats page at /stats. Don't use some ready-made framework but instead handle sockets and protocol and stuff manually.

>PS4 uses Linux as its operating system.
IIRC it's a modified FreeBSD

game maker evidently can be used to make good games.
But if you really want to learn programming you're better off learning something like C, or even Python these days. I started with C so I'm biased. Learning OOP straight out while starting can be overwhelming and as someone else already said it'll only make you quit sooner. After learning C you can try starting with C++ and OOP, usually uni courses tend to take that kind of route.
>PS4 uses Linux as its operating system
I think PS4 uses FreeBSD, or a modified version of it. It's UNIX but it's not Linux.
>better to quit before getting started
nobody said that but you're just being warned that it's very hard to do and definitely not in a some reasonably short time since you'll need to learn a lot of thing beforehand

You literally wrote a example where it happens in your post.
C# and Java compile Bytecode(which is anything but machine code) to machine code at run time if it improves performance actually massively increasing the performance.

Retarded dude here, he's right. Completely forgot about runtime interpreters like lisp interpreters that run on the jvm.

I still don't see the point of converting between C# and C++

How old are you? What are you doing for a living/what's your study level? How interested are you in coding?
Answer these and then I'll help you

If you're going into gamedev, do not learn programming.
Programming is trivial and objective. You can put together a mechanically functioning game from zero knowledge in under a month. There's no wrong way to go about it unless your game literally doesn't work.
The real pitfall is art. You can't follow an art tutorial and make a good sprite in a month, or a year. It's something that takes years of practice to get passable at - not good, just passable. And it's completely subjective. There are artists who have put in half a decade of work and still end up completely mediocre.

Any monkey with free time can program their own game. Almost no one can draw it.

How about you learn more than one language and be way more useful than only knowing c++? I know 8 and do ezpz contract work for big bucks. Pick up Selenium for automated testing. I had several testers fired because I automated their jobs.

>JIT is faster than just running machine code
retard
also bytecode is different than what you write. and going from bytecode to machine code is a hugely different beast than language to language

okay user, I apologize and yes I am clearly frustrated with the fact that there's maybe 2 or 3 decent threads on the board at any time

C# compiles faster and thus allows you to make games faster.
You only need C++ for tight loops. C# is fast enough otherwise.

Prove me wrong.
Protip: Who knows, it might be possible.

stop going go /g/. i program, am in college for computer engineering, and love everything tech but that place is such a shithole i've only visited it a handful of times.

>C# compiles faster and thus allows you to make games faster.
I wanted to attack that statement, but then I remembered 1 sepples project at work that literally takes about 20 minutes to compile. I go and rest or just do something in my phone as it goes.

Attached: 1451633112262.jpg (1280x720, 121K)

NEET
Zero
One day I woke up and i realized if i don't change myself in the next 5 year I'll hit 30 and have accomplished nothing, now part of me is okay with that and another part of me thinks I won't make it to 31 if that's the case.
How motivated am I? I don't know truthfully, but I'm looking for a better time investment than video games(specifically shitty mmos) and that's worth a lot to me.

I've got nowhere else to go

Get a guitar or piano or drums.

>I can draw && program

Hn hn hn hn hn...

>C# compiles faster and thus allows you to make games faster
This. People really underestimate how fucklong it takes to compile shit. Not having to recompile everything is a huge time saver.

I'm so sorry, user.
As much as I hate the language I have to work with - PHP - at least it has (virtually no*) compile time.

*actually, the text needs to be converted into zend bytecode, but that happens really fast and only for changed files

Fuck you

>you'll need to learn a lot of thing beforehand
Well, thing is, I'm very intersted in this sort of thing so I would love to know which languages/tools I should aim to be proficient in in order to achieve my goals.

I assumed it was related, but I'm guessing SQL has nothing to do with servers regarding character data rather than user information. Correct?

Realistically, how long would it take a complete newbie to programming (I've done so little python that it's not even worth mentioning) to go from zero to hero with C++?

Like going to a level where you'd actually get hired for just your C++ skill for example.

>I can draw && program
>Not: I can draw && I can program

>Like going to a level where you'd actually get hired for just your C++ skill for example.
never. people who code are a dime a dozen.

Not attack you and I don't even understand what you're arguing about really, but I am reminded of a high school teacher I had. A kid in the class said the word "virtually" a lot in this context and he thought it made him sound really smart, you could tell. Eventually this teacher fuckin yelled at the kid, and the class, that when you see or hear the world "virtually," it means "not," and that person is probably trying to trick you. Then he points at the kid and says "In this case, he's trying to trick you into thinking he's very smart."

I should go back and visit that teacher, he was one of my favorites.

It's a rarely touched thing, and incremental compiling usually does its thing so it's not that bad. It's when you do a full build with tests and shit that it goes that bad. But sometimes you do need a full rebuild.

i only code in html lmao

How do you know when you're actually learning a language? I've been teaching myself C++ for maybe a year but I've never had a moment where it just all clicked and I felt comfortable saying I could program in C++. I'm still googling things like crazy and when it comes to understanding why a lot of things work the way they do behind the scenes I'm useless.

Attached: tumblr_oy8zzy2I401v8mzhco1_500.jpg (500x482, 80K)

>Like going to a level where you'd actually get hired for just your C++ skill for example.
As long as it takes to get a degree.

If you're super motivated, you can maybe half that time. But chances are, unless you're really smart and fast at picking up new concepts, your skills won't impress anyone. Even IF you're talented, without a degree, it's hard finding a job.

If you can go for a degree, get a degree. Otherwise, you're in for a world of struggle.

t. self-taught autist who still struggles to get jobs despite 2+ years actual work experience in webdev

I only use HTML4 and webm’s I pull from Yea Forums

i only program in css. beat that.

When you are proficient enough to effectively and quickly google anything you don't know.
No one fucking knows everything, or at least not all the time. Like working in IT a lot of what you do is shit you learned in the first month or shit you're still looking up, just more targeted and efficient now.

>Not Javascript

Shit. Thanks for telling me. I'll stop using it.

I disagree. A strong portfolio is worth more than a degree. Some diamond dozen codemonkey with no resume and a degree fresh off the mill is going to be worthless compared to the guy already making revenue from apps.

5-10 years. This includes getting experience.

Good C++ programmers who understand how things work at the low-level are always sought after. If you have some available, pm me their CVs.

Yeah I wasnt trying to give you shit or anything but I also haven't seriously used that word since then, holy shit it was fucking hilarious.

Try to mess around in game maker studio first, no need to rush and do C, Java, ... first. You first need to understand how with a few clicks and line of codes you can make your computer do things.
Then, once you've made a shitty game and get the very first few graps of coding, try to learn something a bit harder like Python, HTML or C (to see how different programming languages can be).
Finally, if you feel like you want to do computer science for a living, try to go back to college (don't worry about your age, someone in my class is 30y.o + have children and nobody gives a shit)

There are ways around it, like spliting your source so you don't have to compile whole thing every time you change something, having compiler use multiple threads, but that's only good for you if you are making something yourself, if you are working with large project with multiple people you are fucked.

hello how do i make winforms in C# able to open both files and folders in the same dialog i couldn't find anything that worked in google

Attached: 1527477048808.gif (300x300, 56K)

My tip for learning C++: learn C first. Just a plain old C, from K&R. You wouldn't get C++ otherwise. 50% of features in C++ is an attempt at making a better C, 25% is an attempt at making these previously made features actually useable and 25% of genuinely new and good stuff.

What would you add to a portfolio? I tried contributing to some open source projects, but they were either a bitch about what I could contribute, or they were so mature they didn't need help.

Do random personal projects count? What would be good enough for a portfolio piece?

>from K&R.
you don't have to learn outdated syntax. the new syntax is more like other languages too, so it makes the skills more transferable. nothing else in C has really changed.

not him but it's not for everyone. And when I say that I don't mean that "not everyone can learn it" (which can obviously be seen by the amount crappy of webshit devs we have today) but rather that not everyone can tolerate it, especially as job. I loved learning programming since early highschool and all through 5 years of uni, but holy fucking shit if you don't get a decent job that's actually interesting it's living hell.
Give it a try I guess, you can't be worse than your typical webdev.
>Get a guitar or piano
I've been meaning to get a guitar for a while now, fug. Guess I should hurry up with that, I'm tired of wasting hours on this site
>I assumed it was related, but I'm guessing SQL has nothing to do with servers regarding character data rather than user information.
SQL is query language for databases, so there's a good chance that it is related to what you're interested in. Character data can also be stored in a database and yes you'll need SQL to know how to get data from a database. But that's really late into the process of gaining access (basically the end after you've gone through everything).
I mean, if you're really interested you'll basically be needing to study info security. Studying how information is secured also gives you insight into how to bypass/break that security. I can't really recommended anything here, I'm also looking into getting into infosec as a possible specialization.
Here's a cybersec general pasta: pastebin.com/rMw4WbhX
Search for /hmg/ in /g/ archives and there might be some resources there as well. The generals aren't the best but there's at least some starting info. Don't bother spending time there though

youtube.com/user/handmadeheroarchive
This nigger explains how to make game from scrach in C he is using C++ without almost anything that C++ provides over C

>pm me their CVs.
sent ;)

Some personal projects of small to medium scope on a public github repo or on a fancy personal webpage. For example I have a Gameboy emulator on my github, and it always sparked interesting discussions with tech interviewers when it came up.

you got me dude no way i can beat that.

breh, Casey is on an entirely different level than what anyone without long-term professional experience should even attempt

kek

Hrm, interesting. Thanks for the advice.

does Yea Forums really have a pm system now bc if so i will genuinly shoot myself

>This nigger explains how to make game from scrach in C
he explains how to start and game and then meander pointlessly for 300+ episodes

>tfw making 3d vidya in javascript because it just werks on every platform

Attached: d1a45a7531b02511f7673c945c1a68f3.png (781x181, 80K)

Anyone got experience with coding C# on linux for linux? I do know it works with mono and whatnot (I only briefly read about it I don't really know anything about it).
It's not about gamedev just general purpose programming, I just like how it looks but I don't want to use it if it's a big hassle when switching between win10 and linux.
How would I set it up? I'd probably use VSCode.

The problem with learning programming that unlike most other things where you can gradually just get better, its seems so hopeless in the beginning it can be extremely demotivating.
Like you gonna struggle with stupid shit like finding the shortest odd number or printing a fucking triangle out of stars. Meanwhile you look at games what kind of graphics and complexity they achieve with programming, beautiful modern websites, AI, etc. So I would say the best advice (and wish someone told me this when I started) is to dont get demotivated and always have something in your mind you want to create and you actually find it cool.
So if you start studying javascript for example, make a website that displays a picture. then make it so if you hover your mouse over it, the picture changes. then try to make a small gallery, something like a photographer would have. then add a login interface where people can sign up. so always have a goal in your mind because books are fucking boring on their own.

I would start with C, "c programming language second edition" is the best book for it probably, it explains everything. there are always youtube videos for everything that can help.
Then I would javascript because it actually makes you able to create stuff that isnt just some stupid console application.

And if you take just one advice: dont start with c++. its retarded. c++ is probably the hardest and most complex language the learn

What about godot? Is it too new to build anything? Is it bad?

Overall it's really mostly about your interests and the kind of role you're aiming for. Having some fancy shader demos would be great if you're aiming to be a graphics developer, for example.

I pm'ed you the answer, check your messages

i remember being part of a big javascript project for no reason and spending hours changing == to === bc fucking javascript bullshit

while that may be true, I'd say you're still required to have at least a bachelor's to hold some higher job position. People actually get upset if some non-graduate earns more/as much as they do with a master's

The second edition has the new syntax, no? Aside from the ability of declaring your variables wherever you want (and forbidding implicit int, which was always a horrible thing, who the hell thought it's a good idea), not much has changed from C89 to C99.

>Just learn Latin first before learning Spanish, that way you really understand the origins

>study how info is secured
>pastebin.com/rMw4WbhX
>/hmg/ in /g/ archives
Shit, thank you so much, dude.
All I needed was someone to point me in the right direction. Really, thank you, my day has gotten so much better. I honestly didn't think anyone would reply to my initial post or sign me off as a script kiddy.

>not making your vidya in assembly
yes I stole this image

Attached: 1551817660798.png (1920x1080, 424K)

sorry, i meant style

false equivalence. c++ is just C with more features. it helps to learn plain C first

The GC in Java is smarter than some pajeet gamedev who thinks he knows when it should or shouldn't run.

Thanks guys.

Why use babylon.js instead of construct?

Get a keyboard and synthesia. You'll stroke your pp fast by learning to """""play"""" like a typewriter. Worked for me.

He's goddamn great. Sure, I don't agree with everything he says and it's okay, everyone has different perspectives and experiences, it's unreasonable to agree with someone on everything, but the way he writes, designs and thinks is captivating.

GC isn't 'smart', if you think it will do a better job managing memory than a human you don't understand how it works

Shit like this terrifies me. If I were born 20 years earlier, I would have never become a programmer. Making shit like that for a living must have been absolute hell.

No the guy, but learning C first does make sense. I would not argue for the simplicity of C but for the better foundation it gives. When you understand C, the limitations and behavior of C++ will become something you understand and see instead of just memorizing some rules.

>pointers in C++
pajeet-tier
either use C and pointers or use C++ how it's meant to be used (i.e. not using pointers ever)

Entirely correct. Blueprint niggers will understand their own game to a lesser extent than some mediocre C++ codemonkey who looked at the code for 5 minutes.

>manual garbage collection is a bad thing
>using C#
make an appointment to kys as soon as possible.

>C++ how it's meant to be used (i.e. not using pointers ever)
what did he mean by this

java primitives cant be null, nice reddit meme though

>not using pointers ever
Good luck interacting with any library or API.

Because Construct is for 2D games.

>The GC in Java is smarter than some pajeet gamedev who thinks he knows when it should or shouldn't run.

This. People really underestimate the complexity of the Java GC. It's not just a simple reference counter like Swift's GC. It actually makes allowances for objects that might be used in the future, but haven't been used yet. It's all because there's some statistical model which shows that object usage follows some sort of long-tail distribution, that is to say, most objects should have a short life while there is a non-trivial number of objects that will last for the life of the program.

To do this, it segregates objects into different generations and, assuming it survives gc multiple times, it eventually gets promoted to the older generation where the gc will just ignore it entirely.

All of this is backed by statistical analysis. Random code monkeys/pajeets need to get their heads out of their Dunning-Kruger asses and understand that efficient gc is a non-trivial problem.

just remember that it will take a lot of time to learn and even with that knowledge there's still a rather high chance that you still won't be able to break in. Social engineering is very useful skill to learn. Even if you don't accomplish what you wanted you might as well get a career out of it, depending on how determined you are.
Here are some beginner 'wargames' : overthewire.org/wargames/ , start with bandit.
For a book I constantly see "The Web Application Hacker's Handbook" recommended, but I don't recall how up to date it is.
>tfw want both guitar and keyboard
but I'm too poor god damnit
but it's not even hard, just tedious

fags who need garbage collection amuse me
learn how to use pointers properly

you're a stupid faggot and any idea you pretend to have concerning optimization is wrong and was solved by compilers, virtual machines and interpreters ages ago

>yeah, i use light themes. how could you tell?

Attached: 1549262674833.jpg (960x954, 92K)

reference counted GC can use a memory allocator that does what you're describing and it would be better for games too because it doesn't need to stall
complex GC does not neccessarily mean good

It's not just the relative difficulty compared to modern languages. It's also shit like trying to get all of that to fit on a tiny gameboy cartridge, and figuring out how to do it with literally no help or guidance since this is completely new hardware.

brainlet
stop using C-libraries

>tfw use dark themes for fucking everything except my IDE

Worked for Minecraft, frustratingly enough.

Complex GC IS better on larger projects, that's what I'm saying. The Java GC has evolved greatly from its origins. Being able to ignore like 25% of your objects makes your GC cycles 25% faster.

whats mindblowing is that JIT compilation can be faster than running straight machine code. Modern computers are extremely complex beasts, and there are so many micro optimisations that can be made even for specific setups that its sometimes best just to let the computer handle everything and even compile at runtime, choosing the best optimisations as it does so.

its nowhere near as hard as you think
programming in assembly is easier than a modern language

yea, but I imagine that was fun
youtube.com/watch?v=ZWQ0591PAxM
fuck, why can't I be smart

>stop using C-libraries
do you even program?

Are you fucking dumb? Have you researched this at all? There are plenty of systems that compile code at runtime they're called JIT compilers you fucking idiot and most of the world's technology relies on them.

>something you understand and see instead of just memorizing some rules
This. For example, many of the strange properties (to, say, Java programmer) of virtual classes will become appareny once you understand that every virtual call dispatches through a vtable. Or that templates have to be in header because of the compilation model C++ inherited from C. And that thanks to that compilation model linker literally screams and wants to kill you if you have many dofferent template instantiations.
Welcome to 2011. Enjoy your stay.

simple and predictable is better for a real-time application
reusing memory for objects is fairly trivial

it was a serious question, how do you use the language without pointers

References and standard smart pointers should be the norm with modern C++. There's really no need to have raw pointers, unless dealing with APIs that require them or some very specific situations.

>stop using C-libraries
>disregarding performance because too afraid of pointers

Attached: 1536755458071.jpg (303x310, 33K)

it works for pure functional languages

a smart pointer is still a pointer

>The only reason I don't use Unity is because they fucking CHARGE MONEY for dark mode and my eyeballs fucking hurt looking at it for too long.

>he doesn't code games in assembly
retard

>stop using C-libraries
I'm trying but the Linux kernel injects vDSO into my process. And NT injects the ntdll/loader/something. Send help.

Wait, they do? I thought I were using a dark mode for free.

The only real issue with cpp is that it makes it easier to fuck up your memory layout and not really understand exactly what you're doing.

If you were, please tell me how, because it's been something like 4 or 5 years since they added it to Pro only and people have been bitching at them nonstop to add it to Personal but they never will.

t. TJ """""""Henry"""""""" Yoshi

I assume the original question was targetting raw pointers. It's obviously impossible to use C++ without dynamic memory allocation. Just like any other language because hey, guess what's under those java and C# refs ? The point is that you should avoid manually handling memory in modern C++ unless you have a situational or performance need.

If you're going to avoid manually handling memory you might aswell use another language so you don't have to put up with the awfulness of C++
low level control is the only reason to use it

You can't call something "smart" if you can just .get() the raw pointer and disregard any contract the smartness implies.

reminder that CVE stands for C vulnerabilities and exposures

Never mind, I was thinking about Visual Studio 2017. Kek, fucking Unity.

Sure, that's why disassembly is a thing, but that requires you to know where shit goes sour.
With great power comes great responsibility or some other shit.

>It's obviously impossible to use C++ without dynamic memory allocation.
There is actually a meaningful subset of c++ without dynamic memory. Of course it is very limited but it's actually pretty fun. I've used it in some non-serious AVR projects.

You're trying to win an argument I never made, I'm not defending C++. But if I was, I'd argue that different languages fit different needs. C++ is still useful as a relatively painless infrastrcture-wise cross-platform option for desktop apps, for example. And in this case, you'll still be better off using the modern memory handling facilities.

Sure - I was saying that in the optics of making a serious program, as you are saying. I'm all for games and challenges within languages. A senior of mine in college managed to code an 8 queen solver using only c++ metaprogramming, was pretty fun too.

>relatively painless infrastrcture-wise cross-platform option for desktop apps
aren't there like a dozen more modern languages that do that?
C++s "modern" memory handling facilities suck

also user, what keyboard should I get, if you happen to have any experience

get the old one they last longer and you can hit them hard and they won't break

Maybe, no idea. I've only been working on single platform stuff for a while so I have no idea of what's modern in that area.
And yeah they're not great, but that's what you have with the language, so might as well use them. It's always going to be safer than manually handling your pointers in most cases.

>get the old one

Attached: 1492163498550.png (314x278, 129K)

What if the game use C# as a scripting language, but the code itself is in reasonable C++?

a old keyboard one that survived 2 wars

Search for love2d tutorial
Good luck

are we talking computer keyboards or the actual instrument now
and pls don't meme me

computer keyboards user mine is also pretty old but it still holding up

You're never hired just for your code, but for your other skills, too, like administration and support. There's a lot of work that goes through just being a coder.

I settled for a LK-270, overall I recommend it, if you want something standalone, otherwise CME MKey V2, but this one needs doesn't have a speaker. Also sustain pedal is nice, but not necessary - it will make it sound less like a toy and more like an instrument though.

that seems aids honestly. How do you map all the keys?
STill, I'm willing to try

I'm currently using C# and Unity to make my third person shooter indie game. Why am I a bad person?

Attached: cooking.gif (288x240, 1.25M)

>map
user the only macro you need is to send emails

game? asking for a friend

bc you are using C# to make a fucking shooter

anyone take the art pill yet?

only 3d graphics engines need low level languages

>nobody recommending Code Academy ITT

Why not?

If he's using unity, all the actually heavy parts are being handled by C++.
C# is only used for shit that runs once per frame.

What's wrong with that?

What difference does it make what language to write the scripts with?

I haven't taken a look at it for a while but it was only really effective for learning syntax and very little thinking like a programmer, common methods/functions and problems.

Not him but C++ has better memory usage.
Really, if you want to make a game more intense than a VN or pixel adventure then you are better off using C++.

It's not even that hard, FFS Unity has scripts you can just download or buy from their market if you want to skip "most" of the programming.

Sadly now is probably the best time to make games if you know nothing of programming.

Some indie game that got posted around here a lot whenever gamedev or low poly threads popped up. I'd like to know myself cause it looks good.

Attached: lowpolycharacter.gif (450x650, 318K)

Books kills any desire to program, try out online sources

go to

>low level languages

kek'd

It was on itch.io pikopik.itch.io/cooking-with-tracy

As a game dev that was taught C++ throughout all my education and has released a few things the last years;

Language doesn't really matter in the end. Your code does. Sure C++ has some really nifty tricks, but in the end we made our game-server in C# and made a ton of our in-game AI behaviour utilizing unreals blueprints-system through a C++ client-facade and it works great. As long as you're not a fucking idiot, we're talking milliseconds of optimization-time that just isn't worth compared to the strengths of having everything be interchangable easily in levels through blueprint-modules. Believing you're a better programmer than someone else and looking down on them because of which languages they use is a red flag that you don't have any experience except in the one thing you're preaching and sends bad signals to people actually working in the industry.

The mantra "don't be an insufferable cunt" takes you far.

Why would you use machine code instead of assembly? Do you hate yourself?

This basically.
I want to make a simple 2D engine in C++ using SDL. But I think I should go deeper and use OpenGL in order to learn it.

>learning to program takes both time and dedication
God damn it

>convert C++
>at run time

I don't think you know what that means.

>time and dedication
And thus why I'm a dumb fat loser.

What does c++ has to do with programming for inity when it only supports cs and js formats?

Yeah, but it's unlikely you'll use them. At least if you're a beginner.

If you can run your game well and have fun then it doesn't matter, there are games written in fucking HTML5 that are better and more successful than Unreal or in-house engine games.

not only you user
;_;

I like Godot. It's fun to make quick simple 2d games and I get to own the entire thing.

God bless FOSS

nice, how complex can the 2d games get? something like ss13 or similar?

What's wrong with C#?

Use the right tool for the job.
You wouldn't use a butterknife to cut down a tree.
You wouldn't use an axe to spread butter on toast.

nah C is more like the blade part and then the handle and size of blade change from language to language