knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/zoe-quinn
youtube.com/watch?v=5fnRSL3d_xU
thezoepost.wordpress.com/2014/08/16/tldr/
youtu.be/tEXurYaIHao
youtube.com/watch?v=x2klLy8r8Ro
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Basically nothing that mattered, and it ruined everything

Don't bother

Some journos were fucking some chick and gave her game good reviews for it.

same, although I can at least say that whatever it was, it was a total clusterfuck

Incels and SJWs were throwing shit at each other thinking they're fighting for greater good. Just mentally ill people being retarded, nothing special.

Link/archive to reviews?

incels didnt like how literally every character you play as wasnt a straight white male anymore.
Basically.

>Journalists defended Mass Effect 3's ending and called the entire gaming community "entitled"
>Journalists fellated Depression Quest
>Journalists fellated Gone Home soon afterwords
>Journalists were caught sleeping with developers in exchange for good scores
>Journalists were caught not disclosing paid-for reviews or sponsored content
Gamergate, being a loosely organised "revolt" was very easy to lie about, journalists from the getgo called it a sexist, racist attack on people in the industry. At the end of the day though, since GG they now disclose company and industry partnerships, so GG won.

You need to go back to Retardera where you can freely slander others and pretend it's the truth. It doesn't work here.

literally all i know about it I got from Dobson

I thought it was pretty obvious a long time ago that gaming journalists weren't trustworthy. I don't understand why anyone still reads what they shit out instead of just watching unedited gameplay footage on YouTube to decide if they want to play something or not.

>Journalists were caught sleeping with developers in exchange for good scores

Remember the good old days back when there was real ETHICS in GAMING JOURNALISM?

yeah me neither

>Journalists defended Mass Effect 3's ending and called the entire gaming community "entitled"
And for the good reason desu. ME3 debacle was just a hate bandwagon, because the game was fundamentally flawed on every possible level from the very beginning. Ending was abrupt and half-assed, but not nearly as offensive as reuse of multiplayer maps for the story, lack of consequences from previous games, cut content for DLC that was required for understanding the story and terrible characterization of Shepard.

>so GG won
LOL

Attached: apologize.png (646x353, 55K)

Attached: muh ethics.png (1080x1404, 278K)

The ending is the peak of all of those problems except the first one, though.

It's always been obvious, but the Mass Effect 3 debacle really pushed people over the edge. It wasn't just simply "sorry guys we disagree with you" it was a constant barrage of "no! You're entitled fuckwads and you don't deserve to speak about being ripped off with such a trash product!"

>And for the good reason desu. ME3 debacle was just a hate bandwagon, because the game was fundamentally flawed on every possible level from the very beginning. Ending was abrupt and half-assed, but not nearly as offensive as reuse of multiplayer maps for the story, lack of consequences from previous games, cut content for DLC that was required for understanding the story and terrible characterization of Shepard.
I don't understand. You're calling it a "hate bandwagon" and then you literally list every objective reason why everybody was pissed off.

GG did win. Every reviewer and Youtuber now has to legally reveal if they're being paid for content or if there are potential biases if they know the developer. That is literally what GG was created for, more transparency.

Basically sluts are a thing and if they're devs they'll fuck journos for good reviews.
Journos tried their damn hardest to cover this fact over a gigantic fuckton of lies.

I'm sorry you don't remember the early game magazine days.

>GG did win. Every reviewer and Youtuber now has to legally reveal if they're being paid for content or if there are potential biases if they know the developer
So, what law did GG get passed?

I at least remember a time when game journalists didn't literally hate video games, and the people who play them.

knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/zoe-quinn

There are none, Yea Forums made it up to fuck with the woman in question

>muh mass effect 3
EA being shit and ruining every single company they absorb was well known and accepted long before any GG shit started

So you're so new and out of the loop that you literally missed the debacle where EA pulled Gggmanlives video because he didn't disclose it was a sponsored video?

That's not a link to the positive article/reviews, nor does it contain one.

>I still have no idea wtf this was about
Normalfags doing normalfag shit (political activism)

Everything stems from her boyfriend, Retardera. If they were false claims, Zoe sure did a shit job of denying it because she never once said they were false. Her and every other reviewer immediately just started calling everybody incels.

Selling sex for reviews is never okay, ever.

youtube.com/watch?v=5fnRSL3d_xU

What does that have to do with GG?

Childhood is getting upset that your space video game doesn't have a satisfying ending to the point where you're considering filing a class action lawsuit for false advertising, and failing, that, just settle for sending death threats to the inbox of every employee involved.

Adulthood is realising that that is, in fact, rather self-entitled behaviour.

here's a backup of the original fiveguys

thezoepost.wordpress.com/2014/08/16/tldr/

you can figure it out from here

thing i found the most interesting was the email group with all those game journos, also the Gamers are dead articles that came out at the same time, that got me wondering, is this practice mirrored in all forms of journalism?

The best part is that this isn't even true.

Nathan didn't review Depression Quest. Zoe Quinn was just a slut and people were mad about it.

(ok, he mentioned it in another article about games people should check out, but that's not as bad as reviewing it, even if it is inappropriate given their relationship.)

Money. It was about money. Youtubers, blogger and S jay doble Us made up a nontroversy to victimize themselves and get more noteriority and money.

Attached: 01.jpg (1024x576, 188K)

Where are the lies, tho

Was it a time when gamers weren't literal Nazis?

Everywhere.

>You're calling it a "hate bandwagon" and then you literally list every objective reason why everybody was pissed off.
No, most people were just mad Shepard died at the end. Ending was most people's problem when in reality game had tons of flaws in general.

LeoPirate was the only good person in gg what a shame that he became a whacko christian

The advertising standards authority ruled that it had to be disclosed

At least one of the people she fucked was a judge at the IGF she won with her shitgame

How can you speak this authoritatively on something you obvious know so little about? You think your half-remembered factoids from when you lurked one of these threads four years ago are evidence? Zoe did, of course, point out many times that the alleged "reviews" just didn't exist at all and that her ex was intentionally fanning the flames of controversy to get back at her for fucking a dude.

Also "incel" wasn't a mainstream term yet.

Non-bluepilled (still just sleeping) normies reacting to exceptionally pointed and obnoxious encroachment of Cultural Marxism (and the Marxists typical corruption strategies) without understanding it properly. Many went on to get redpilled.

Again this isn't a link to a positive article or review. Furthermore it's a rant by an angry ex which seems like one of the least trustworthy sources of information about somebody. I'm starting to think these reviews never actually existed.

Why can't gamergaters ever give a straight answer? Just link one review.

It's a slippery slope from gaming to fascism.

>Can't even put two and two together
Dude, seriously, are you this dumb?

EA, one of the slimiest, greediest entities in the video game industry pulled a video that wasn't disclosed as sponsored content by themselves without provocation because it is in fact illegal to pay for content like that without disclosure.

Childhood is thinking the customer "isn't entitled to anything." The customer does in fact have every right to be pissed off when they were falsely advertised to.

Pic related

Fuck off, the entire fanbase was lied to. Nobody cared that Shepard died. People were pissed off because they were lied to, they were promised distinct endings where your choices would matter and guess what? Red, green and blue preset bullshit. Go fuck yourself.

>niggers everywhere
>fags everywhere
>women everywhere
>games being censored even harder than before
>less nudity in vidya than 5 years ago
>hehe, GG won bros ;)

Attached: dsmart-tshirt-was-right-1024x682.jpg (1024x682, 61K)

>selling sex for reviews is never okay
Good thing that's not what happened. You're believing your own narrative. They were in bed together, but the issue is that they gave her game positive coverage (previews, not reviews) because they were friends (with benefits). It was the closest thing to evidence we had of games journalists with conflicts of interests, but of course everyone had to go overboard because it involved calling a woman a slut. Now no one would take those accusations seriously because they'd just point back to this incident and call you a gator, so good job getting a fee sites to post "ethics policies" I guess.

I didn't care about the girl and her game, but this incident however did reaffirm my stance on just how worthless all gaming news sites are

It was literally just an article that went viral, dude

You have the email logs. They didn't plan it anywhere. Half the people involved weren't even on the mailing list.

>Reviews obviously being paid for
>Yea Forums bitches and moans and nothing happens
>Suddenly a girl might have slept with a reviewer for a review (not that there is actually any evidence)
>Yea Forums goes atomic

Journos had barely anything to do with this, that was just a cover story.

It was always about women.

People found that mailing list and thought it would prove GG is in the right about everything but did anything ever come of it? It seemed like a bunch of mundane stuff.

>Pic related
Indeed.
And thanks to proving my point, bandwagon faggot. You managed to ignore all the issues game had before of different colors in the ending cutscene, bravo.

>Four years ago
Seven, Gamergate started seven years ago. Don't talk about "half remembered" when you don't even remember when it started. It was never "reviews." It was positive coverage of a game that barely classed as a game on sites like Kotaku.

Forgot my picture.

Attached: fuck off.png (573x344, 216K)

Those were false flag operations

hmmm. didn't know that. I never read the Zoe post and everything gg-related always used grayson as the example, and I've never really cared enough.

Positive coverage certainly happened with grayson, but in a way that barely matters. an IGF judge lobbying for her game to win because she fucked him seems like a way bigger deal.

They have to maintain the narrative that it was about ethics in games journalism, after all.

worst part, it was about a woman falseflagging a mundanematt video

The beginning of the biggest culture war of our generation
People are still mad

Why are you lying dude? Literally everybody complained that the game didn't respect any of your choices OR that the finale ignored everything you did with three preset endings. Why are you pretending everybody is mad because Shepard died? Nobody fucking cared, because if it was done well then it wouldn't have got any stick.

Attached: 1551742444489.jpg (456x386, 86K)

Anyone who trusted corporate journalism in the first place is an absolute retard, let alone corporate gaming journalism.

>le enlightened centrist face

>Dude, seriously, are you this dumb?
If it's so easy to understand, explain it. You say
>it is in fact illegal to pay for content like that without disclosure
So it's because they're obeying the law, not because autists flung shit 5 years ago. Unless that law was a consequence of GG in which case, which law did GG get passed?

unironically this
gamergate paved the way for Trump getting elected

One gigantic shitstorm that accomplished nothing and made everything worse. I still remember that mass exodus to 4+Yea Forums when the mods banned GG threads.

>August 2014 is seven years ago
>tfw

GG was the cancer that finally offed Yea Forums and moot and Yea Forums in general.

>an IGF judge lobbying for her game to win because she fucked him seems like a way bigger deal.
I can only assume that lead didn't pan out considering gamergate dropped it almost immediately. My guess is zero evidence.

>mass exodus to 4+Yea Forums when the mods banned GG threads.
And nothing of value was lost.

It was a bunch of people who got angry enough at women to get the attention of national news, only to hurredly scramble to a "legitimate" cause when they realized "I'm angry that that women had sex with multiple men" didn't exactly get people on their side

What's the watergategate of video games?

>So it's because they're obeying the law, not because autists flung shit 5 years ago.
it's enforced because of the shitflinging, nobody enforced this stuff prior. fuck knows what the law is called, but ign and other sites like the escapist did come out and state they were enforcing transparency of sponsored content. other websites followed suite.

Trump getting elected had nothing to do with Gamergate. He got elected mostly due to Hillary's constant self-sabotage.

>gamergate was a failure

Attached: 1550668203660.png (792x691, 299K)

Go white knight somewhere else söyboy

>if i keep lying it'll come true
classic neogaf/resetera tactics. how's that whole "thq is a pedophile supporting company!" smear campaign going?

>I still remember that mass exodus to 4+Yea Forums when the mods banned GG threads.
>I'm leaving, and then you'll all be sorry!
>Just watch me!
>Last chance!
>Okay, this is it, I'm leaving now!
>I'm going out the door!
>...
>Alright I'm back but it's the principle of the thing you know!

Some slut got exposed for being a slut and sleeping around with game journalists who gave good reviews to her shitty game I think and Yea Forums used it to stage an attack against them because and how they give good reviews to shit games and they're all SJWs or maybe that came later I can't remember, the massive coordinated retaliation from them exposed a massive rabbit hole and ended up becoming some sort of culture war.

Except that Gamergate was the first pushback against the left. Even a lot of internet personalities who were prominent during the elections started from Gamergate.

It killed Moot and made Journos assmad for all eternity. SJW's treat it like the fucking holocaust and they even put a reference to it in the Prison School anime dub.
youtu.be/tEXurYaIHao

and an angry rustbelt filled with workers who had enough of Californians and New Yorkers telling them to "stop being poor"

Apparently quite a bit was lost since the quality of discussion around here has taken a sharp nosedive since it happened.

>but ign and other sites like the escapist did come out and state they were enforcing transparency of sponsored content.
They were just making explicit what they were already doing as required by the law in an attempt to soothe the massive nerdrage of gamergate.

Didn't work of course because that's not what gamergate was really about.

This. What blew it out of proportion was the outrageous response to it. So you know it had a point.

don't forget this marvel

I still don't understand it in terms of context I guess. I don't understand "pro gg" and "anti-gg" especially when someone uses it in an argument.
Pro gg means you're for the fact that it exposed Zoe Quinn for what she did and how journalists do shady shit like this for easy reviews and/or (from the butthurt, white Knight, sjw crowd) you're a sexist pig (????)
Anti gg is the opposite where you're against the unethical treatment of women and journalists, and all white men are evil(????)

I honestly don't know. There's a metric shitton of information and all I know is the Zoe Quinn/boyfriend exposing her for what she did thing.

Isn't it funny how you all claim there were reviews and no one can find even a single review and then you start to move the goalposts

And then another "expert" comes in ignoring the thread replying directly to the OP talking about reviews

>vengeful boyfriend posted roast piece on girl
>user finds out and makes fun of her
>journalists call all gamers sexist for participating in such behavior, even though it was just a handful of people messing with Quinn
>general gamer public see that journalists hate them, form up and try to get back at the journos.

They really escalated it with the mass 'gamers are dead' articles. It might have petered out pretty quickly if they just stayed quiet about the whole thing.

The "outrageous response" was actually because of how little point it had, compared to the disproportionate amount of death threats and harassment that came out of it.

>Didn't work of course because that's not what gamergate was really about.
who are you trying to fool? i was there for the initial shitstorm, it was always about the initial rumors that zoe quinn was trading favors for positive coverage. the fact that these rumors might have been exaggerated and turning that into some "sexism" fuel is ridiculous. that doesn't change the fact that people were fed up of shady reviews, especially after the journalism shitstorms before it.

nice thread faggot thread

Attached: Succubus_roulette.jpg (3250x3100, 2.12M)

This. I've heard my own mother quote Breitbart articles and I know for a fact that they grew big enough for that specifically because of their activities during Gamergate.

>the massive coordinated retaliation from them

Translation: Video game journalists editorializing on a bunch of particularly vocal manbabies "revealed" that people within an industry happen to know a bunch of people within that industry

ROlling for waifu

Pro-gg: conspiracy theorist who believes Zoe Quinn is an evil master mind who controls the entire gaming media with her vagina

Anti-gg: the gamergate word for people who think it's not cool to harass women over kooky conspiracy theories. Quite a broad category.

>disproportionate amount of death threats

38 GET

It should have been about GJP, but it ended up being obsessed with Zoe, Brianna, and whatever twitter drama of the day was going on.

Reminder that Nathan Grayson is still employed and still advertising here and nobody on Yea Forums (or cripplechan) seems to care.

Attached: 1225196391218.jpg (477x700, 60K)

Maybe you were riding that sentiment of distrust of the media but the point was only to get at Quinn, until the narrative spun out of control anyway.

The same law that got Facebook in trouble because the didnt disclose the Russian ads that got dumpf elected.

Attached: Birdy_off_crows.png (229x225, 52K)

I was more pissed at the "Depression Quest" game than anything, depression is something twitter e-celebs love to have for attention. I have to take antipsychotic and I have a few mental disorders and seeing people whining about a simple depression makes me sick.

I work in small time journalism under a branch of the BBC. A "mailing list" that consists of nothing but other journalists is an extreme breach of ethics. I'd be investigated for that shit immediately because it creates broken word of mouth, sources get muddled and information gets confused very easily under those circumstances. You're allowed a contact list of people in the industry, but never something like that those guys did.

Good point, there is no proportionate amount higher than zero for this storm in a teacup.

I believe in the whole culture wars thing and I supported both GG and Trump but you're deluded if you think GG had anything to do with Trump's political rise.
GG occurred in a microcosm compared to the MAGA movement which was a country-wide populist phenomenon that spans generations and breaks down traditional bipartisan dichotomies.
Gaming journalism is not a thing of importance to the public at large. Which is also why it's easy for them to get away with scummy practices. At best you might argue that GG laid the online infrastructure that people of a certain political persuasion would later use to spread memes and help the Trump campaign but those systems were already in place long before GG.

"Gamergate" was a storm in a teacup, that started when a ex-boyfriend of Zoe Quinn (developer of depression quest) released details of who she cheated on him with. Many of those happened to be working in the video game industry including one that happened to review her game and gave it high marks.

This caught attention of people around the internet (including here on Yea Forums) that have long been concerned with the shady shit going on in video games "journalism". The media, in an attempt to protect themselves from the accusation; spun the attack as an attack on women in the gaming industry instead. This then dragged all the feminists and white knights into the fray, and it blew up from there.

The major problem with "ethics in video games journalism" is that they were demanding ethical standard from a bottom of the barrel sector of an industry that has none, As we've seen since the 2016 election cycle.

gg pretty much backfired, all those feminists made mad bank to the extent that Zoe Quinn could just scam people for her Cuck Tingle adventure game, yet nobody even dared to call her out and games journos became even bigger assholes

Er, ignore that though, that's Good Actually, who is the law to interfere in our free speech, eh what?

GG basically created the network that would later support Trump over the internet and help discredit and humiliate all his opponents through memes and all sorts of dirt digging., you can't point at it alone and say that's the cause but it certainly helped.

Remember when Yea Forums created that Vivian character to try and make it look like we weren't sexist or some shit? That was embarrassing.

Attached: f81526448.jpg (480x360, 21K)

>The "outrageous response" was actually because of how little point it had
But that's not what they said. They said it was because they were being persecuted by evil nazis who were slutshaming them, also corruption and nepotism is hip and cool and you're a sexist for saying otherwise.

The thing is gamers are Extremely Online, especially the sort of idiot NEET who got suckered into gamergate, and they're the ones who pioneered the disinfo tactics and maintained the online presence that created the online right.

>storm in a teacup
>both posts within a minute of each other
Is this some kind of raid?

>I believe in the whole culture wars thing and I supported both GG and Trump but you're deluded if you think GG had anything to do with Trump's political rise.
No offense dude but you got had. You should check out how Brietbart viewed you guys sometime.

Attached: 1544378629537.jpg (800x1408, 172K)

We killed Gawker and that was a win

Attached: 98a.png (602x574, 112K)

How to spot a conspiracy theorist: they refer to "the media" as a singular entity that is entirely against them because they know the TRUTH!!1!

Turning a literal who into an actual celebrity, who makes 1000 bucks for speaking about oppression.
Also she became an incel smasher.
Basically you retarded, fucking, virgin, angry, degenerate, dense faggots helped Zoe Quinn achieving her life goals.
OH NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Attached: 11849930_839392806167551_2109326895_n.jpg (1080x1080, 110K)

It was the first drop to wake feminized white men to just how oppressed and in peril they are under the current ZOGG regime. The stone is set in motion now. There is no stopping an ancient warrior race once stirred into action.

Attached: Aryan-Warriors.jpg (258x374, 34K)

>who controls the entire gaming media with her vagina

Just the person she slept with for a good review score. The rest of the gaming media that sided with her did so out of self preservation.

At least we got a really funny episode of law and order out of it if nothing else got done.

>unstable slut cucks the boi of soi with several journos and some other randoms
>posts a journal about it
>it gets posted here, gets removed for being off topic several times
>someone suddenly realises the danger hair in question is a "gamedev" and one of the men she cheated with works for kotaku
>digging is done, he gave positive coverage and the dates seemingly line up
>new information brought to Yea Forums, suddenly relevant
>threads still being deleted
>everywhere
>outrage spikes, some people believe (know?) that moot was friends with the toxic sea-creature who sparked the initial threads
>at some point during the outrage people start looking for more evidence of journalistic corruption
>find it
>GG starts
>some people leave due to widespread censorship, a cripple in a third world country makes a new chan and advertises it here as an alternative

Very basic sequence of events. Probably somewhat out of order. The anti-gg shit is literally just because Quinn and her clique used the initial outrage to pretend GG was about them or some sort of harassment campaign so idiots would donate to their patreons. Pretty smart move honestly, if morally bankrupt.

I explicitly remember Vivian being created as a mascot because Yea Forums held the assumption that all the journalists expected the place to make a really sexist caricature. Misguided but never "we'll prove we're not sexists."

Get ready for more shills from both sides coming to Yea Forums to bitch about nonsense

VJ was great, though. All that sweet, sweet shortstack/impification porn

Attached: IT HAPPENED AGAIN.png (730x572, 415K)

You're really giving GG too much credit.
If you think clickbait articles and mspaint memes will influence anyone's opinions then Hillary would've won easily with the entire media empire shilling for her non-stop.

>They said it was because they were being persecuted by evil nazis who were slutshaming them
Well, yes. Over nothing.
>also corruption and nepotism is hip and cool and you're a sexist for saying otherwise.
No one said this