Where did it go so wrong and did it even deserve the treatment that it got outside of Japan?

Where did it go so wrong and did it even deserve the treatment that it got outside of Japan?

i don’t even care for Sangokushi; just bring 4 to America and Europe in a somewhat timely manner, I don’t want to play it at the end of the Switch’s life cycle

Attached: 35A7E24C-238C-4FB7-94FA-CCAD96662036.jpg (453x679, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nCnDUME66VA
youtube.com/watch?v=z1Uwuj19mGg
youtube.com/watch?v=EAR6H3Ng51A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

yo-kai watch had no hope of succeeding outside of japan when its first batch of monsters were all either recolors of each other or just really ugly and unmarketable.
if the shadowside era was what yo-kai watch had always been like from the beginning, then maybe it could have carved out a niche for itself like digimon did.

Attached: 1406638788310.jpg (3685x2400, 2.64M)

But it does have a niche audience though

It's too commited to its themes so it doesn't really appeal to any huge demographic: The Yokais are rarely cute, rarely badass, rarely anything really. I'm okay with that myself, however I think a lot of the Yokais have way too much color. Just look at fucking Jibanyan: It's a fucking mess with practically everything besides green on its palette.

>”we need another rival For Pokémon, but with a Earthbound tier sense of humor/quirkiness and the comfy atmosphere of Animal Crossing and cuter monsters that can give Pikachu a run for their money”
>”I’m not convinc-“
>”make a Shin Megami Tensei game for kids, like Demikids but not shit”
>”say no more”

Attached: 0373A60C-D934-4BD8-A0C8-FE4F92043F68.jpg (1544x640, 438K)

>rarely cute
Someone hasn’t seen Komasan.

Attached: C3F8E033-9530-4A29-B153-835917C95BAF.jpg (619x888, 91K)

It is too Japanese to succeed. Series where the creatures are based on animals children can understand them in America. Not so much when they are based on Japanese folklore creatures.

The recolors is lame as fuck, I will give you that. And there are a ton of them.

At least some of the versions are great. See Robonyan for example

there are some really god designs in there though
>had one of these but my dogs tore it apart

Attached: Goku_Namahage.png (832x794, 447K)

Level 5. Level 5 is where it went wrong because they sabotage their franchises literally EVERY SINGLE TIME without fail. They do this to ALL OF THEM!

>there are some really god designs in there though
most of the good designs are from shadowside, and that came way too late to make a difference outside of japan.

Attached: shutendoji.png (699x885, 346K)

>3rd game just gives you a cat to customize
>the right trainers can make it broken as fuck
also rate my cat

Attached: 20190301_232644.jpg (1520x2040, 371K)

Some of the designs are shit and the battle system could be better

>tfw I’m still on YKW2 and still have to play Blasters before playing 3

Attached: 1E2CCE76-2BC8-4BBD-B4E6-80FD91E65609.jpg (2000x1125, 904K)

pokemon has the obvious "it's a horse but fire for mane, it's a walrus, it's a sumo wrestler" and some that are not that obvious "it's an ice head thing" "it's an owl but ghost type for some reason"
meanwhile yokai watch has too many the-fuck-is-it-meant-to-be that children won't understand. their odds are better on it being referred to "it's a TV remote that is also a vampire" but not knowing why.
also the mascot is an ugly fucking pos with dead eyes and more clones than pikachu will have even by gen 20

Attached: 1454722972016.gif (300x186, 446K)

you don't have to, 3 has its own version of blasters that has a dungeon crawling element if you just want to skip to it
plus I don't think blasters still has a living online

>had an opportunity to make yokai based off of bigfoot, jackalopes and other folklore and cryptids when the game went to america
>don't
I still don't know why they didn't make a bigfoot yokai

Attached: 1429211389626.gif (300x168, 1.93M)

I can tell you from experience the demos for 1 and 2 seriously threw me off the series. Supposedly 3 made things better and that weird spin-off that just released looks interesting, but I'm in no hurry to check the games out.

Attached: 1290395258962.jpg (189x251, 9K)

It's too early to write it off. Yokai Watch 4 looks great visually and is releasing to a system with a huge audience hungry for third party games. I think Yokai Watch 4 will revive the series.

Focusing on aliens, super heroes, and comic books was priority, but I say cutting aliens or fusing the concept with cryptic would have been much better
Where did you get overralls?

>tfw no 3DS
Maybe someday.

Attached: c68c22031bb398bc6fff7b28dc3ed143.png (1280x720, 647K)

some random fuck in east pine, by the watch shop
he talks about the steakhouse making him fat

Is it tacked on like 2 or is it exactly like the first Blasters game?

there's a whole mini story to it, I wouldn't call it as comprehensive as the first game but it has more effort put into it than blasters did in 2
also online co-op is a thing

>actual new members into the enma tribe forever trapped in the dumpster fire that was Blasters 2
its not fair

Attached: enma generations.png (780x852, 1.47M)

Attached: 9111DCAA-0F0A-4ED8-A7B9-C5649F49A2BE.jpg (2001x991, 882K)

he wasn't redeemed as well as being unbefriendable
its not fucking fair bros

Attached: 66476976_p2.jpg (1389x2048, 1M)

Him and agent X would have been great party members, also his theme was god tier youtube.com/watch?v=nCnDUME66VA
would Buck have turned out like him if no one believed his UFO story?

Don’t mind me, worst Jibanyan reskin coming through.

Attached: 9182F8D4-49C0-454F-B1F8-AFB685075775.png (334x390, 152K)

It’s cheap as fuck if you’re a wagecuck

what's it like having bad taste

What’s the worst one for you then?

Jetnyan for the low effort or Chocobonyan because I fucking hated that bike race

Yeah early game yokai are ugly as a sin, only at like rank C the designs start to get good, most rank S are fucking top tier, Ultimate Robonyan for example he looks fucking magnificent.

Attached: 50AF7A27-D9A3-4CD3-BD84-2052A62030CE.jpg (1600x1316, 666K)

Fuck Narwail and it's stupid unavoidable attacks.

r8 my team so far

Attached: unknown (3).png (403x242, 229K)

how good is Hinix? I have hino woke on my team but I want to know how good his other forms are

He's worse Awoken, but his full revival skill and high SPR stat are nice.

From gameplay or some ridiculously good results from the crank-a-kai?

Too reliant on Japanese culture while also appealing to an even younger audience than Pokemon. Why did they ever think it would sell in the West?

Think Hasbro went all out on making it a thing instead of being gradual about it

>Hating Komiger
>Hating Roughraff
>Hating Baddinyan
>Hating the Nokos
>Hating Chansin
Also I love how people give Yo-kai Watch shit for having recolors but no one ever bats an eye at Pokemon for doing it way before. Talk about hypocrisy.

How do you even get the item you need for Brutle?

yokai watch recolors are pretty blatant at least in one, as the series went on they put in more effort but it is a stupid thing to get mad about

Attached: CZAE5Z5UEAActu9.png large.png (850x709, 678K)

ambrosia pavilion, you have to hope when brutle's the host he wants to battle to maybe get it or do the rational thing and have someone gen you one

Only thing i hate about how it's marketed in US, using yo-kai like cheeksqeek played up gross out humor. rather than any of actually cute or cool yo-kai like Komasan or even the main face Jibanyan.

Attached: Yokai girls.jpg (821x1122, 370K)

In all honestly I do wish they removed a lot of the recolors to make it less padded, but I'm really not nearly offended by them as everyone else is. But let's be honest, when Yea Forums talks about Yo-kai Watch, they always try and act like the first game is the only one exists with all the problems it's full of. No one takes five minutes to even browse through the Medallium to find any Yokai they might like. Nope. Keep memeing about the gameplay being bad despite the improvements made by every game that came after, especially with 3 that added a ton of major changes that make the game a lot more enjoyable.

The people who marketed Yo-kai Watch in the west deserve seppuku. It's one of the biggest mis-managements of any series I've ever seen. People keep blaming it on the games being too Japanese, but what it really came down to was the marketing pushing all the shitty early game Yokai in your face while completely ignoring all the really cool ones that kids would like or find cute/cool.

Attached: 1525884637705.png (1200x750, 391K)

>Using rank D rank Yokai against the final boss
>still manage to win
Healers are broken.

Attached: 1235245586862.jpg (192x216, 9K)

Yokai Watch isn't nearly as bad about it as Pokemon is where there's just objectively useless Pokemon that are good for nothing. Not saying there aren't any, but that it overall does it better. It helps that in YKW3 you can even raise the rank of Yokai to get them to S if you really care about using them.

Attached: 1529324892404.jpg (321x500, 105K)

When comes to recolor it in weird place where have go out way to get half the Jibanyans as their all either rare or take mulitple step to even get them.

Attached: Casunuva.gif (284x375, 1.07M)

Where is he?

Attached: 1544802247282.jpg (1200x675, 248K)

ambrosia pavilion, in the front

Stupid sexy fox.

So I know you can equip two huge strength boosters to him and give him a great big boost, but just how viable is Lie-in Heart to use considering his skill?

Attached: 1520317665198.png (800x1184, 681K)

The demo for 1 is terrible. It sets you at the start of the game, you can't capture anything, you regain Soultimate after every single battle, and you're given Yokai roughly 5x the level of anything in the area. It's like if I made a Pokemon demo where I stick you in the first area, gave your Pokemon moves they wouldn't learn until they're 50+, prevented you from using Pokeballs, and gave them perfect IVs then told you to go get your first gym badge. Soultimates take ages to recharge, you're constantly inspirited instead of everything missing, you have to be swapping your teams around a decent amount, capturing requires throwing food at Yokai, you can't just walk over everything, etc. Even Snartle is barely a problem in the demo when in the real game he takes quite a while before you can take him on let alone take him on enough to recruit him.

I bought every single game day 1 so don't blame me if it fails

you can do some comical stuff with him bad ability aside, I think there's a video floating around somewhere where he kills zenlightener in a comically short amount of time

The demo for 2 is just confusing. It's literally just a single fight.

Damn, have the video by any chance, or know the setup?

Journalists labeled it as a "Pokemon Killer" and ViZ decided to run with it, which fucking ruined their chances altogether combined with the fact that the Monster Collecting Genre is so obscure outside of Pokemon that very few people know it's a thing and thus assume everything that does it is a "Pokemon Ripoff" because Pokemon has yet to see a serious competitor in a similar vein to how every standard platformer was a "Mario Ripoff" until Sonic came.

>Get one of those artifact items from Blasters T that boosts a Yokai's level
>Wondering if it means just boosting a Yokai's level only by a single digit
>Save right before doing it and use it on a level 1 Yokai
>Goes from level 1 to 64
Well then.

Attached: 1540870581654.jpg (1125x633, 90K)

youtube.com/watch?v=z1Uwuj19mGg
a team of 3 yokai with increased crit odds on everyone, with Lie-in having a crit damage up soul and a dodge first attack soul IIRC, with Donchan and that block guy increasing everyone's attack and a way way way up attack inspirit to boot
also wasn't zenlightener but still

I wonder when people will realize that the worst possible thing you could do when marketing your game is to call it X Killer. All it does is put a ton of needless pressure on it, as well as make fans of X hate it despite it never even trying to compete with X. Now those same journalists doomsay it whenever possible because it's now cool to shit on it.

Jesus Christ. What Souls are equipped to Lie-in Heart? Any idea? I never knew the guy was that strong.

That's some crazy ass setup.

suprisingly, I think they're Ake souls, something about them giving a flat boost?

>Male
Why

Attached: 1527800347435.png (707x900, 624K)

It's easy.
You can jerk off to nearly every Pokemon.
You can't jerk off to any of Yokai Watch's shit designs.
Even Digimon had some hidden gems. Half the Yokais feel like a bad fart joke.

>0.01 Pokedollars has been deposited into your account

>You can't jerk off to any of Yokai Watch's shit designs.
Wow, sounds almost like if you didn't even played the games and are just here to shitpost about a franchise you don't even know jack shit about.

Attached: 207.gif (300x300, 336K)

Yeah, I already knew someone was going to link generic humanshit garbage. I have over four million gelbooru submissions if I want to look at anime girl with tits #34243 and pretend it's a good design, I don't need Yokai Watch to put me to sleep too.

So you are into bestiality? that's pretty fucked up user, please don't fuck your dog.

you can say this every fucking thread,but you are wrong every fucking time.

Since the first one YK had cool,cute and some weird monsters, just EXACTLY like the first Pokemon.

Attached: 1536269306337.jpg (520x611, 294K)

So who do have as your companion, as I have petty cake as she both cute and a literal shortstack.

Attached: B68A7B1D-9704-4307-AA45-C3E0F28AA80E.jpg (573x800, 57K)

I have Zomboy following Nate, and Blizzie following Hailey, although I can't seem to decide who bests suits her.

Attached: 1536539645949.jpg (600x330, 53K)

Smogmella for Hailey, Demandi for Nate, gotta keep that shota under strict control.

This shit was way too indulgent in muh grorious Nippon culture to get any worldwide appeal. Honestly what did they expect? Kids won't know what the fuck a Yokai is.

I like Yokai Watch but it has a lot of flaws and a lot of circumstances working against it. First, casuals genuinely dont have it in their hearts to remember names for two different monster collecting games. Odds are they already know some for Pokemon and faced with the idea of learning 100 yokai names they won't even bother. Second a lot of systems in this game just reek of forced creativity. Yeah the battle system isnt as braindead as people make it out to be but it's not intuitive at all. Touch screen minigames for special moves and breaking inspirits, wheel rotating and pinning unique targets. It's trying too hard to innovate and the result puts people off. Even the yokai tribes are trying to innovate from Pokemon's species typing but it's not as natural as predicting element relationships so you dont bother to learn it as much. Last I would say they really need to iron out the details of the lore. I'm not asking for deep Kojima plots but the framework of the series is poorly explained. What are yokai, are they species or are they unique individuals or both? Do they come from people or are they a separate thing? It immerses you better if you have a concrete understanding of that stuff. I could go on and on but frankly Gamefreak handled all this better back in the 90s. Even the Digimon devs handled this better too but they haven't made a truly great Digimon game yet either. I have no real fanboy attachment to modern Gamefreak and I hate how lazy and cynical they've gotten but I will say they really came up with something special with the original Pokemon and I hope Level5 keeps improving to their level of popularity.

As opposed to the time-honored american colonial tradition of Pokemon, allowing Western children to instantly know what a Pikachu was.

Comparing animal like creatures to blatant Japanese ghosts and demons aren’t the same thing... and imagine the pr nightmare they would have if it released around the same time as Pokémon did...

Yeah but an electric mouse is more relatable and understandable than all these notHuman ghost things or blobs. I would try to come up with an example for backstory or origins for some of these creatures but I honestly don't know any. Which says something about the whole thing. I don't know what any of these are supposed to be. When I look at a Pokemon I can immediately understand if it breathes fire or spits poison.

List of clunky/odd things in YKW1 that got changed/fixed in sequels:
>You can't skip dialogue faster with the B button, and the dialogue box needs to finish before you can skip it
>The Yokai Lens takes a million years to fully lock onto a target
>Unable to see what a Yokai's favorite food is or whether you've befriended them or not
>You can't use the Target Pin prior to battle
>In YKW2 and 3, the music playing prior to battle will loop the first part endlessly, and the full track will only play if you go into battle; This is not the case in YKW1
>You can't pedal faster on your bike, pressing the sprint button only makes you ring the bell
>There's no zoom out on the map, nor are there names of locations and areas of interest
>You are only permitted three cranks from the Crank-a-Kai a day
>There's no comfy train rides, and it automatically takes you from Springdale Central to Sunshine Station, which is the only place the train takes you to and fro
>Mirapo only gives you the location name and a vague idea of where that might be on the full map, and only in YKW3 was this changed to being able to see the location of where the Mirapo would transport you to
>You can't change what Yokai you wish to be accompanying you
>There's only a single portrait for every character that has them, whereas the sequels added multiple facial expressions, and in 3, added voice clips (Whether you like them or not)
>There's honestly not a whole lot to do in the post-game, outside of the Infinite Inferno and filling out the Medallium
>The Menu only has six options, making you go into Info for your Medallium and Yo-kai Spots info
>The fishing minigame used to be the exact same as bug catching
>Odd equippable items (Tags that raise one specific elemental defense/lowers regular defense, rings that do the same for attack, the tags/rings/gemstones you use for fusing those items)
>Incredibly minor detail; Mr. Zen's fusion has a bubble above him that says SHOP, while in YKW2, it says Fusion!

Attached: 1530699888714.jpg (129x167, 15K)

I am just skimming by on front page and never played any of the games... my assumption is that they are actual tokai like in shinto. Basically they are pagan deities who are formed by either positive or negative energies.

But Pikachu compares to Jibanyan (a cat)

Then you had your Shellder,Magnemite,Muk,Koffing and similar shit

Even though I have fun with yo-kai watch setting, It was fucking amazing how hard they try to localize YW as so much that had write around the game being set in japan, like the clearly Japanese shogun being called waitington

Attached: shogun_waitington_.jpg (774x1032, 183K)

It’s disheartening that the only way for a Yo-kai Watch thread to get attention is a bait-y “What Went Wrong”
Try to make a general thread and it gets ignored

I legitimately wonder if a /vg/ general would generate enough interest from people, or just be bumped off the board.

Attached: 1529010233592.png (660x310, 101K)

I tried making one. Didn’t get a single post.
There used to be an active /vg/ thread. Then WibWob died... seems the only way to get active discussion is a mobile game. Give us a new one Level5.

Unfortunately, it the only way for thread keep going is for a shitposter to bump up the thread from dying.

If more people knew that you made one, I'm sure it would do better. Just gotta try and get the word out there.
I'm kinda surprised that they haven't bothered with another mobile game over here. You'd think keeping a mobile game alive wouldn't cost all that much.

Attached: 1542346929886.jpg (720x852, 137K)

I wonder how much of it is due to Level-5's notorious mismanagement. Even now we're seeing it.
"Puni Puni is still one of the highest grossing mobile games after all these years. Perhaps we could supplement some of that for the Western audience?"
"Nah fuck that, shut it down, I don't care if it has an active fanbase"
"I want Yo-kai Watch 4 by 2018!"
"The frame rate is a fucking mess"
"Oh... delay it to Spring 2019"
"Sir, it's almost Spring, shouldn't we be dropping more info?"
"... Shit"
"I want Inazuma Eleven Ares by 2018!"
"It's not ready"
"Delay it to Summer 2019!"
"It's really not ready"
"Vague 2019 release date then..."

To add to my own post.
Megaton Musashi was announced a while ago, barley any news about it.
The vaporware legend that is Ushiro. Announced in 2008 as a PSP game, now coming to the Switch (eventually)
And of course there's still the mobile port of the first Yo-kai Watch title that's still stuck in development hell. Also Medal Wars

Level 5 have such nice IPs, shame they are Sega tier retarded.

I really don't know what goes on internally over at Level-5, but clearly there's a lot of miscommunication, and it's like everyone's just sitting on their hands constantly. The problem now is that they can't really bring WibWob back because they've already shut it down and deleted everyone's accounts, so peoples money just got ultimately wasted. It's become increasingly more and more difficult to even support the series in the West, and the way they take a million years just to localize one game is extremely strange and hard to understand. Level-5 really seems obsessed with trying to make the next big thing and they go all in on shit like Snack World only for it to flop and have a completely dead IP.
The people who handled Yo-kai Watch in the West all deserve to be fired from whatever position they're in because of just how badly they screwed it up, and the worst part about it is that it comes off almost as intentionally fucking it over. YKW3 first came out in 2016 in Japan, and it's just now coming to the States 3 years later. That's utterly fucking ridiculous. And I personally don't know how to feel about their OMOCAT crossover, considering how expensive those clothes are. It's nice to have merch, but something affordable would be nice too.

Attached: 1550368059842.jpg (5242x1460, 2.83M)

The Snack World definitely came out waaaay too late. It was a clear attempt to get the Adventure Time audience, but the majority of its content came out in 2017, by that point Adventure Time was dying out, dragging itself through its middling 9th and 10th seasons.

While I do appreciate that the Western version of YW3 combines all three games rather than go the Pokemon/Battle Network route, it's really late in the 3DS' life. That and the printing issues that are likely going to make it a rare game, and good luck going digital because that game is HUGE. Nintendo isn't helping matters either, rather than post cool or cute Yo-kai, they post Treeter and get a bunch of "Fellow Kids" and "Pokemon rip-off" replies.

I do want to get a shirt or two, but $35...

Yeah, I saw that Tweet. I really can't tell if Nintendo's trying to help or not. I don't understand. But you always get those replies anyway because Twitter faggots are the most obnoxious people and it's always people screaming at them about online services or about when the next Direct is. The "Give it to me now" generation of people that make constant posts. It's really like they just have zero clue what to do with the property at this point, but they can't outright dismiss it because the games do still sell. There's so many genuinely great designs that people will never know about because their entire exposure to the series is through really bad tweets that only serve to turn them off.

Attached: 1527989823865.png (283x281, 22K)

Attached: 1523454657335.jpg (1244x1000, 697K)

I wish he was more viable. That tunnel vision skill ruins him

Been Wib Wob and anime only so far, but I'm looking forward to starting the games when my OMO clothes arrive. Best hope for the series outside of Japan will likely be with 4 since it looks pretty good and the battle system looks more standard. Hopefully they will market it better because as things are now, it feels like it's up to the fans to do the marketing.

Attached: __kodama_fumika_and_whisper_youkai_watch_drawn_by_sekihan__0c57891529b357d99d4174cb31233936.jpg (693x1000, 61K)

Chocobars

Attached: D04ja-FV4AACiKE.png (750x520, 740K)

Is it really that bad for him? I guess he'd be really good for bosses, but basic battles would be constantly positioning him in place.
>This guy is Brave instead of Tough but has a skill about keeping him on the defensive

Attached: 1545542422254.png (1024x1024, 705K)

True. Though I think it's implied that if he ends up pushed behind one your allies, he'll attack the ally.

I should try testing that.

Oh, you follow Yumiko-san, too?

Attached: 1547637766405.jpg (400x400, 27K)

I saw it on Discord. I should follow them.

Dunno about the rest but it seemed too japanese-themed for me. That and the combat playing itself for the most part didn't appeal as well.

>You are only permitted three cranks from the Crank-a-Kai a day
This is in 2 as well and I HATED IT SO FUCKING MUCH!
Is that really gone from 3 onwards? Can you just dump all of your coins given how tedious it is to do the QR scans for them in the first damn place?
>There's no comfy train rides, and it automatically takes you from Springdale Central to Sunshine Station, which is the only place the train takes you to and fro
I kinda wish you ccould skip the train to just go where you wanted to go outright in 2. I get it though, they've got the stations to hide the extra fights so you'd have to explore them all and know what stops to get off when normally nothing would be there to then do the fight.
It was a cute 'guide-dang-it' moment, but if that's in 3 onwards I'm going to barf.

*performs a drum solo in the middle of fighting*
youtube.com/watch?v=EAR6H3Ng51A

Attached: 1522917253799.png (350x360, 147K)

In 2 it was random how many cranks you could get each day, but normally it was 3. In 3 however, you're given the option to throw a dart and whatever it lands on you'll be able to crank that many times, up to a maximum of 30 cranks. Every time I've landed on a 2 crank though, it's made it so Jibanyan or Usapyon will beat up the number and make it something different, although all I've gotten are 8's so far. It's a lot more lenient than what it was previously, but you still gotta wait daily, and now it saves the game beforehand.

Speaking of which: In 3, there are these items called Forbidden Fruits, and they guarantee a Yokai will become your friend, which is to basically balance out when challenging a Yokai to a daily fight that it saves the game beforehand as well.

Attached: 1525816378899.png (400x240, 72K)

Actually, the Crank-a-Kai numbers were randomized in 2. Anywhere from 3 to 30. Using High Gnomey gives you an extra pull.
3 removes that in favor of a dart board that could give you anywhere from 1 to 30. Using Ghostess gives you an extra pull.

The train is in 3, but it's not as prevalent. The abundance of Mirapos and the addition of the Pocket Mirapo make the train less annoying (unless you're trying to get Statiking)

That was hilarious.

The Pocket Mirapo is such a fucking godsend.

Been following Yumiko for awhile once I noticed my favorite artist followed him as well. Sho's the one that got me into Yokai Watch.

Attached: 1535474720460.jpg (722x1200, 98K)