Deep Rock Galactic

Now that the free weekend is over, what are your thoughts?

Attached: spiders.webm (1600x600, 2.7M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-5YGKW5QWxI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I sleep

Thog dont caare

but its fun vidya user

Attached: fun.webm (888x500, 2.76M)

It's one of the better games in recent memory so I hope it does well and the devs keep up the level of support/development they have so far.

I already owned it before the weekend.
Iprefer it over L4D and Virmintide as the cooperation in those games is limited to reviving when downed, protecting from behind and saving from cc. in this one every class needs to work together to achieve what they want like in your webm.
>based scoutbro ultrabrighting the breach for the team
doing it good buddy.
Slapping a Flapjack under a Gunner or a Driller that get knocked off somewhere high up then giving them the old Rock and Stone salute is what I live for.
>tfw they rock and stone back
>tfw we all get drunk later over some barrel hoop and fat jams

Attached: Aint Shit.png (1024x697, 911K)

It looks "fun". Like a mix of Minecraft (destructible environment and the general mining themes) and Left 4 Dead (the gameplay proper).
I put it on my wishlist, thinking maybe I'll get it once it's cheap or something. But to be honest, I just don't have enough free time to dedicate myself to more than a single multiplayer game.
And so far I haven't found one that beats Monster Hunter.

Here is a pro tip me and my squad has figured out
If you land on another dwarfs head, you take no fall damage
It's great for those really big drop that not even pancakes can save you from, or if you dont have an engie.

fuck didn't know it had a free weekend, would have played that shit :(

Just be aware it is going to raise in price a bit ($5) at the end of march. It does go on sales with some regularity though.

what does this game do differently than vermintide 2?

Seems like a game that might lose steam after 50 hours, but it's okay for its price and one of the better early access games

The procedural caves are pretty good, all they really need is enemy and environmental variety and thats what they are working with every patch

Attached: 6ee3a7a37f329761.jpg (1052x591, 197K)

>actually unique classes that are all required during engagements and manouvering caves
>a LOT of vertical gameplay
>voxel based environments that are fully destructable

for you

When is it going to leave early access? I want it for ps4

At the earliest probably August, at the latest, January 2020.

vermintide has you doing a lot of melee combat, ive played boh of the vermintide games and while they are good, its just a different style/take on the same genre. deeprock has a lot of progression, and they recently added weapon variety so that you can pick between weapons that ultimately function completely different from one another. also deeprock is more of assembling a team and working off each others strengths. you will know what i mean when there is ore damn near on the ceiling, so the engineer using a platform gun to attach a stable platform on the ceiling, and then either the scout ziplines up to clear it out, or the heavil creates a multiuse zipline that anyone on the team can take up. on the hardest difficulties its all about speed as well, weapon ammo runs dry and the only way to call for more is with a ammunition drop is exchange for nitra, there is limited nitra.

TL;DR:
the games flow and combat, and objectives are very much different than vermintide, and its an excellent game from a group that works hard. ive yet to see them fail their own roadmap which has some pretty good shit listed.

have you played since they reworked how enemies spawn, added the faggots the sonic the hedgehog all over your team, and added the ice part of the planet with its own enemy variation? they are doing a good job and working hard at adding new stuff in, its pretty good

Yeah...looks great... *turns 360 degrees and walks away*

>what does this game do differently than vermintide 2?

The player actually can have fun in Deep Rock Galactic

i hate their fucking trailers, because most are very outdated compared to what the game is now. this is the most honest look at the game currently in terms of gunplay

youtu.be/-5YGKW5QWxI

is that a fucking dead space style line cutter i see?

>get breach cutter
>buy armor shred upgrade
>first mission find a shellback
>get a cheeky shot in while he's resting
>strip literally all it's armor
>scoutbro gets a solid oneshot in with the M1k
I fucken love the new guns they added.
Can't remember the last game that had effects this satisfying.

Attached: c.gif (163x163, 7K)

Most of these just look like generic guns shooting differently colored projectiles at different speed. Although...
My thoughts exactly.
Give the nature of this game, it'd actually be wise for the devs to look for "inspiration" in Dead Space and its "tools as weapons, not guns" paradigm. To create more unique weapons.

But what do you DO in this game?
And is it fun solo?

I played it a while ago and it felt extremely generic
Run around, grab loot shit I don't care about, shoot at masses of bulletsponge with uninspired gunplay
dunno, nothing about it excited me

heres what each class has as primary and secondary weapons:
driller:
flame thrower / freeze frozer as main
a standard handgun / energy pistol(than can charge up and release the giant purple orb you saw) as the secondary

scout:
standard assault rifle / m1(the m1 if you "charge" the attack absolutely shits on things) as the mainhand
sawed off shotgun / twin machine pistols as the secondary

heavy:
minigun that gains accuracy the longer its been used / the thunderhead(basically a massive canon that increases in speed the longer its been shot bit sprays massive high explosive rounds everywhere) as the primary
as the secondary he can pick between a 4 shot magnum and a gun that works basically the same out of the old robocop movies.

engineer:
drum fed shotgun that can be full auto / electricity infused machine pistol as primary
grenade launcher / arc welder as secondary.

really i could go on and on about how each gun functions, the way they work is that you have rows of upgrades, so instead of just fully upgrading the gun, as you unlock more options, you can change how a weapon functions, a good example being having it specialize in armor vs flesh, or making it so that when the minigun overheats, or is close to overheating you sets everything around you on fire. i guess you could argue its all been done before. but the weapons feel extremely good, and its very satisfying to shoot something in the face while you drarf shit talks about how they eat bullets like karl drinks beers.

go get shiny rocks and bring them back

it is innately not designed for solo play, it is designed for having people filling out different classes with different functions

it can be played solo but you are missing out on what makes the game so good. you will know the first time you play with a team that consist of 1 of every class.

You do missions in randomly generated caves to get resources to buy new guns and upgrades to do step 1 again on higher difficulties in different caves.
Caves are on different sectors of the planet, one sector has magma caves filled with lava and suffers from earthquakes, the dense biozone has various types of flora turned fauna that wanna fuck you.
The game is by no means solo, but jumping into a pub and bro-ing it up with randos can work out quite nicely, especially since the hub between missions is filled with shit to fuck around with other people.

Attached: gBnvBMJ.png (530x353, 383K)

>not designed for solo
Welp.

No. I don't like this game because they totally ripped off dwarf fortress.

Anyone who doesn't agree is working for the game company!!!!!

>ground starts shaking, no one can run
>earth splits open directly under me and swallows me into a section thats semi molten.
>i burn to death as our engineer cant figure out how to fire a platform for me to at least stand on, instead walls up the hole out

thank god for the driller, everyone else ran for the drop pod, only he stayed and literally dug me out and got me up

I know that 453200424 is shit posting, but ill be damned if i give him a (you)

It was weekend free? fucking hell i wanted to try it with friends

>tfw you got really drunk before a mission
>wasn't aware it doesn't go away awhile in a mission
Most fun me and my brothers had in fucking years in a game

this was a fun thread, looks like it's gonna get archived, see you next one.

are you still forced to hog half of the ammo drops as engi if you want to have any significant effect with the turrets?

not if someone honks it

Attached: A8A5926F-E8AE-4E8A-B5F1-F213DE0E74CD.jpg (1280x720, 131K)

Reminder that the driller makes every other class obsolete

>still
I've never had to. You are doing something wrong.

>Shoot at masses of bum rushing enemies with different guns while back paddling

Is there no nuance or things to consider other than positioning while holding LMB? Tell me about top level gameplay and what have to do to stay alive while facing the toughest challenges. So far it seems pretty mindless.

How many actually different functioning enemies are there? By that I mean if 3 similar enemies only have one attack pattern but look different it's actually just one enemy with different graphical flair between them.

Mixed bag.

Played in squad of three - gunner, scout, engi - and pressed through the first set of missions (proficiency?).

Digger feels fully useless desu. Engi struggles with traversal as well but the platform gun is very useful in conjunction with the scouts grapple for mining those veins that are just smack in the middle of a huge wall. Physics are all sorts of fucked up, which was more frustrating than anything else. Constantly losing eggs/rare minerals down enormous holes because they'd spaz out on the terrain, ragdolls or other players. Weapons are clearly all balanced for swarms, which makes fighting the flying bugs a huge pain in the ass, especially in open caverns.

I had fun but I'm not gonna buy it.

>radioactive biomes
>vulcanic biomes where the ground breaks open
>sand biomes where cavern storms limit your visibility
>complete darkness unless you have a good scout
>ranged enemies
>explosive enemies
>armored enemies that only take damage to the back
>acid spitting crawlers
>web spitting crawlers
>flying enemies that shoot acid
>flying acid bomber bugs that carpet bomb acid
>flying enemies that grab you
> plants that grab you from above as if you're in half life
>malfunctioning battle robots
>cellar assel looking motherfuckers that turn into rolling wheels of death
>friendly fire is always on

There is a lot of enemy variety at this point

Attached: drg.jpg (1000x563, 126K)

They improved Engi's primary/secondary a lot. Turrets are still fairly whatever, but nice to have.

Digger is least useful on straight forward missions like simple mineral extraction. If the map has more complex objectives or more importantly, extreme terrain features he is the best. Being able to make a path from point A to point B is invaluable a lot of the time.

Both are actually fun, but I invest more time in vermintide cause reasons.

>digger
>time to leave this fucking cave
>drill a straight line toward the drop pod
>2 fucking roller beetles coming down the tunnel at full speed
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

More shit that I forgot to mention:
4scout squad would be 100% viable
Could have been the 100° FoV causing trouble but hit boxes are all sorts of fucked. Both players and enemies can melee shit from miles away. Most frustrating when trying to kite huge bugs so that squad can get those booty shots in. Will literally slap your shit from across the room. Their caustic breath and death cloud is similar too, causing damage way outside of the visual cues.

I'm happy that its over and the shitters are gone. Maybe haz4 will become playable again. Also nice flare placement lmao.

Attached: 2 words for ya.webm (1000x720, 769K)

>doesn't have a group of friends to play with
lmao @ incels

>ignores spitter/praetorian
>sprays at mobs not even aiming for weakspots

new players should stick to gunners/drillers

Attached: TF2 Scout.jpg (419x410, 31K)

It's on par with Risk of Rain as a late night party game with friends or Yea Forums.
Get yer bros, get crunk and blast bugs.

>stop playing the game way i don't like
>TF2 image
yikes from me

Awesome with friends, randoms you can get tryhard spergs though.

>those ceiling bugs

Attached: horrifiedexpression.png (352x482, 21K)

>you still can't dig resources with your drill as driller
>MULE in point extraction map
fuck off with this image, it triggers me

Man there was a free weekend, wanted to play this for a long time but never did since I heard noone plays.

It is pretty fun, though you need to have friends to play with for the proper experience. Randos just leaving in the middle of a match, or going yolo scouting when the team could use a driller or a gunner ruins the game.

it's fun for maybe ~40 hours

>you still can't dig resources with your drill as driller
Seriously? Did the devs ever come up with an excuse for this?

I played it before the free weekend and Ive pretty much unlocked everything
I really like it, but it needs more arbitrary shit to do. To anyone who is at all interested, it doesn't play like minecraft at all. Its mostly about killing swarms of shit.
that being said, driller should be allowed to drill and quickly mine minerals, holy shit.

This game is very fun, though blasting the same bugs got a bit boring. I hope in the far future Ghost Ship adds a special event where greenskinned space pirates attempt to raid the Space Rig. Just wish something would shoot back with bullets instead of slime.

Attached: 1536433046932.gif (480x270, 1.28M)

>free weekend
well why didn't you tell me retard

>used to ignore driller in favor of scout because gotta go fast
>join a lobby where every role but the driller is taken
>fine, whatever
>mfw I'm able to stop a horde dead in its tracks with the flamethrower, pick off a straggler with the pistol, blow up a dreadnought with the C4 and then get away without a scratch through 50 meters of solid rock

Attached: 1540326227758.png (680x680, 538K)

This so much, every game I play as driller I don't even go down anymore. His freeze wep + health on melee kill + berserker + iron will combo is fucking op.

It didn't really click for me, I played about 8 hours and I'm done with it, nothing grabbed me to want to play more

>standard glyphid variants like spawn, warrior, etc
>glyphid exploders
>glyphid web slingers hanging out on walls spitting at you
>glyphid acid spitters doing the same thign with damage
>praetorians are heavy armored fuckers that spit at you
>dreadnoughts are the same but mini-bosses and can't be armor stripped
>shellbacks roll around bumping everyone away with extremely heavy armor, needs stripping weapons
>little leech goo that corrupts stationary robots like a weaponized molly against you, tough boss
>mactera spawn floats around and spits at you
>mactera grabber rushes for players alone pulling them to larger groups of enemies
>mactera goo bomber lays down pools of acid
>praetorians and goo bombers have ice variants in the ice biome to freeze you
>shockers are little jellyfish that spawn in groups and swarm you, zapping you
>brood nexus sits idle and spawns little glyphids
>spitballer is a large turret that spits at you, very tanky
>cave leech is the barnacle from half life but smarter
>loot bugs are passive creatures that shimmy along walls and spit out gems when killed
Each cave biome you go into has their own exclusive enemies, I mentioned the ice biome exclsuive enemies before. Apparently in sandy caves you can find bee nests but I haven't found any yet.
each cave biome also has it's own natural threats like earthquakes and volcanic eruptions in the Magma biome. Radioactive crystals can block your path and high priority areas in the Radioactive zone. Ice biome of course has the effect of cold weather, freezing you but there's also slippery ice and thick snow that cancels fall damage but slows you.
If you check the road map one of their higher priorities, potentially in the next update is more enemies and more elite variants of already existing enemies.

Attached: b7c.jpg (650x427, 49K)

It's very good.

Attached: drgplaytime.png (316x116, 45K)

>only 33 heures

bamp