20 Most underrated games of all time

Well, are they right Yea Forums?

Attached: Most Underrated games Ever.jpg (1286x874, 193K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20160810082729/http://moonbase.rydia.net/mental/blog/gaming/metroid-other-m-the-elephant/article.html
youtu.be/WW7EfHJX-zM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The story fucking makes no sense but the gameplay was nice. Underrated on the gameplay but rated accordingly on the everything else,

Other M is hated more than it deserves but its still an extremely bad game that you can safely skip if you're playing metroid games.

Pic unrelated?

I never hated Other M, though I cant really defend it, its pretty bad
I finished it, and thats a lot for me because I drop games all the time

Didn't she have a commander authorize her equipment and shit?

No, you're thinking of Metroid Fusion.

What site is that on? I wanna see the rest

Oh ok I remembered everyone hating a specific metroid

>underrated
>posts well known games that had some controversies

In Fusion she physically didn't have her upgrades and she had to wait for authorization to receive them because she didn't have a choice.

In Other M she doesn't use life-saving upgrades because she just respects Adam (who treats her like dirt the entire time) just that much, and it paints her as a subservient moron.

Clive Barker's Undying.

Attached: Clive_Barker's_Undying.jpg (1152x864, 771K)

Adam treats her like any general treats any soldier
She has daddy issues with him though, I didnt hate that development

yep, there's even a section whee you run through a lava zone without the gravitysuit turned on cause he didn't authorize it yet. and it ticks down your health every few seconds for a quite a while until suddenly he gives permission as a boss fight starts

The rest of the list were these
> 20. The Sabetour
> 19. Mega Man 7
> 18. Alpha Protocol
> 17. The Legend Of Dragoon
> 16. Super Mario Sunshine
> 15. Spec Ops: The Line
> 14. Herzog Zwei
> 13. Operation Flashpoint: Red River
> 12. Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy
> 11. Metroid: Other M
> 10. Binary Domain
> 9. Secret Of Evermore
> 8. Alice: Madness Returns
> 7. The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker
> 6. Lost Odyssey
> 5. Mirror's Edge
> 4. Luigi's Mansion
> 3. Psychonauts
> 2. Ico
> 1. Beyond Good & Evil

I can tell a super bugman made this list.

Actually not a terrible list
>14. Herzog Zwei
fuck yeah

>> 19. Mega Man 7
Based.

Attached: 1539644475392.jpg (500x381, 46K)

She was intruding on an investigation headed by her former commanding officer, so she chose to differ to his judgement as a condition for joining the investigation unopposed. As far as I'm concerned, in that specific aspect of the story, the only part of it that was stupid was her not keeping Varia and Gravity active at all times. Neither module to her suit posed any affect or risk on anyone other than herself.

> Wind Waker literally has a 96 Metascore & is circlejerked 24/7 by normies
> Somehow being underrated
How?

the only thing underrated is the song that played during the e3 trailer, where's my hq version for fuck's sake

Attached: 1421796310510.gif (357x201, 2.97M)

So that whole lone space bounty hunter woman thing just gets thrown out?

like half of those are well known and loved, and other M is garbage
dumbfuck zoomers

I wouldn't say windwaker, mirror's edge, ico, and mario sunshine were underrated

japan doesn't actually know what a bounty hunter is, or at least didn't when making samus and captain falcon

>Specs Ops
>Other M

This list makes me want to vomit just for these two alone. In fact most of the games on this aren't even underrated.

Comapred to other mainline titles? Yes. I'm speaking of the Nintendo titles. Sunshine sucks though.

Attached: 1539487986665.jpg (433x427, 86K)

She didn't wait for authorization in Fusion. They had to be developed and then uploaded to terminals that she had to run back to in order to add to her suit, or otherwise reclaim what she could from the X and then use them whenever.
In Other M, she was endgame tier outside of only two new upgrades, but wouldn't use items that are purely defensive without being told to. It's not that she was just subservient, she was a full on directionless child.

>Super Mario Sunshine, Spec Ops, Wind Waker, Luigi's Mansion and Psychonauts are underrated
Was this list made in 2011 because these games are definitely not underrated anymore

One day i'll get a damn legend of dragoon remake

I'd agree with most of this but luigis mansion, psychonauts and windwaker?
No one actually thinks they're underrated

harpoon

what a stupid list

Go back to plebbit Zoomer

I do remember when it came out people were bitching nonstop about the art style. Same thing as the links awakening remake funny enough

>not liking cel shading
I wouldn't want them playing good games anyway

Boy oh boy it's like they added this contrarian opinion to generate clicks, can you imagine a "Top X" article being this dishonest, haha?

Other M doesn't even keep its story straight either. Because Adam authorizes use of the Ice Beam at the start of the game. At the first boss. But Samus doesn't use hers because Adam didn't specifically tell her to

They both do look like shit, funny enough.

the artstyle is unfitting for zelda but at least looks good for what it is. The artstyle for LA remake is not only fitting, but looks like absolute shit. Also the music we heard is horrible unlike WW

Attached: link's awakening.png (878x753, 1.01M)

There was a fuckton wrong with Other M's story. Here's a question: what did Samus do on the Bottle Ship. She didn't kill the Deleter. She didn't kill Ridley. She didn't kill the Metroids. She didn't kill Mother Brain. I guess she killed the Metroid Queen? But she would've died anyway after the Feds blew up the Bottle Ship. With Samus still on it? And yet Samus is still accepting contracts from the Feds in Fusion after she knows they're corrupt and that they tried to arrest and kill her.

And the list of problems just keep going from there. Metroid Other M's plot is an abyss of stupidity

Kill yourself contrarian, i bet you think pieces of shit like TP look good

Spec Ops is great faggot

>Same thing as the links awakening remake funny enough

It's not anything alike. Wind Waker was developed from the ground up with its visual style. Link's Awakening has existed for a quarter of a century, with concept and visual art that nowhere resembled the super literal interpretation of the sprites, with the slapped on toy aesthetic.

TP, minor character models aside, does look quite nice. Nintendo went overboard with the BLOOM though, which has nothing to do with artstyle since the same issues is in WWHD

*not only unfitting

explain what the art style of zelda should be

Didn't have good gameplay at all

>Mirror's Edge
>Psychonauts
>Ico
>the games that journos literally cannot help but to circlejerk in every Top X list ever made
heh

Why does it look so much better than Samus Returns?

Who cares about concept art from decades ago

OoT and MM were fantastic, a series brought on by exploration of IRL forests as well a several apocalyptic events shouldn't look like cartoon shit. Many retards claim twilight princess is dark, it's not, it's a very neutral art style with the single exception being the twilight realm dungeon. LttP should be about as bright as zelda gets

Attached: 0531-Temple-of-Time[1].png (350x243, 43K)

>the gameplay was nice
The fuck it was. The gameplay was just as fucking trash. The game didn't know what it wanted to be and the control scheme suffered for it.

people say 2d zelda only looks like the way it does because limitations
but the truth is the 64 games look the way they do because of limitations. the 3DS remakes are evident of that

It should look like BOTW except with a darker tone

>3DS remakes are evident of that
modern s.oytendo remakes don't count, MM and OoT didn't have restrictions and they were brightened/cartooned up on 3DS. The entire reason why nintendo has cartoon shit in zelda is because nintendo hardware is pure shit and can't support any other artstyle without the framerate dipping to 10, it's not a coincidence TP was the last non-cartoony zelda game. Despite the fact that it sold more than any other zelda, they didn't revisit its style. I wonder why?

There's like only 3 underrated games on that fucking list. The rest are big titles that were commercial failures but are still recognized as critical darlings.

this except also don't make link look like a major faggot twink. That WiiU tech demo was perfectly fine

They presented a beautiful rendition of the LA opening, and I thought we were finally going to get a game where Link has that floofy hair look like he has the artwork. But nope, we got toys. And 90% of Zelda games have their cutscenes in-engine, so when I first saw that animation, I was excited at the possibility of 2D hand drawn sprites, like they did with Wario Land: Shake It, and never did again.
The environment is too faithful to the GB game, with the grid shit, and even that wouldn't be SO bad, but every fucking bush, tree, and rock face the same direction, but they make a point for the pathways to look natural.

Attached: file.png (953x551, 818K)

It's underrated because people treat it like it's a 1/10 game when really it's more of a 6/10 game. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you have nothing to play it's a perfectly serviceable time waster for a few hours.

Dobson loves Other M so its objectively a bad game.

Attached: dobson on other m.png (734x776, 77K)

Funny though because SMT Nocturne used similar cel shading like Wind Waker and looked way better than how WW looked.

Honestly WW's artstyle looks better in 2D. Looked great in Minish Cap.

Attached: Shin_Megami_Tensei_III_Nocturne.jpg (256x360, 35K)

Yes user, who cares about respecting the game you're recreating.

Fucking retard.

Disagree, they should either do two things
> 1. Make Link a child again like in MM, WW & OOT, since stories from a kids perspective are generally more interesting
> 2. If you are going to stick with teen link, then go all the way & just make him a full on Trap, since Nintendo clearly likes it

>Psychonauts
>underrated
Might as well call Bioshock Infinite underrated.

>The game didn't know what it wanted to be and the control scheme suffered for it.
I can figure Team Ninja are far from as blameless as they claim to be, but allegedly Sakamoto wanting to have a nunchuck-less, NES-style sideways wiimote setup was a death kneel for this game from day one. No one should ever have to play a 3D action game with fixed cameras, an auto lock-on, and two buttons and a fucking d-pad.

I recommend trying to find the Japanese ISO of the game. That version lets you play with Japanese voices and English subtitles right off the bat, with no hacks needed. It feels more like a basic anime plot, and I find it's much more tolerable in that form.

Zelda was meant to be a dark, realistic yet stylized look. Twilight princess came closest to this but fucked up on character designs

Attached: zelda_ocarina_of_time_volvagia_by_skilarbabcock-d3jefta.jpg (900x1200, 159K)

Imagine being this wrong & obsessed, WW is literally considered the most graphically timeless game ever aside from Okami, whereas Nocturne looks like shit

>posts clickbait that's more contrarian than Yea Forums
Nocturne still looks sorta nice for an early-mid PS2 game
>BGE
>Luigi's Mansion
>sunshine
>underrated in the modern year
I can respect say BD or Lost Oddessy but fuck this list.

Yeah Sakamoto had some really smart decisions. Like forcing you to point the wiimote to use missiles. Which switches to first person mode and restricts your movement.

The perfect Zelda would be OOT's character designs with WW's graphics. Kinda like how DQ retains the Cell shaded graphics with Toriyama's designs

Attached: majorasmasklozart.png.jpg (480x608, 95K)

>I can figure Team Ninja are far from as blameless as they claim to be, but allegedly Sakamoto wanting to have a nunchuck-less, NES-style sideways wiimote setup was a death kneel for this game from day one.
What the actual fuck were they thinking?

The game was original meant to be side-scrolling. Klonoa-style, with your "path" being weaving through the environment. But with Team Ninja on board, it was decided that it should be a 3D action game to better suit their style. Then they made the worst compromise ever by sticking with the sideways remote.

Thats Breath of the Wild

The perfect Zelda game would be Botw but with a darker tone and actual dungeons

Are people on Yea Forums these days too young to remember 8.8 or what is with these DARK AND REALISTIC galaxy brains suddenly popping up again

So in the GBA games this guy named Adam is mentioned a lot as someone Samus used to look up to. In Other M, she returns to him and the 'army' (I can't be assed to remember why) and basically just let's him call the shots.

I know this will come off as kind of SJW but it really does come off as an abusive relationship in several instances and like the other user said it feels like they didn't really understand what people liked about Samus' character.

I find this review pretty well-written: web.archive.org/web/20160810082729/http://moonbase.rydia.net/mental/blog/gaming/metroid-other-m-the-elephant/article.html

if taken at face value, a director with a nostalgia boner who didn't realize how fundamentally flawed that control concept is. if taking the iron to everyone involved, also severe developer incompetency and a refusal to change and adjust the concept for gameplay standards that required better controls

Yes people are legitimately too young to remember the fad of brown n bloom.

Dark and realistic =/= brown and bloom

>TP wasn't brown n bloom
You're a retard

Attached: LO.jpg (250x354, 34K)

I dunno, I liked it.
But I also liked trash like FF XIII so what do I know.

Attached: 1536411889265.png (459x459, 208K)

Ocarina of time had the best art direction of any zelda game prove me wrong

Attached: the_legend_of_zelda_ocarina_of_time_ganondorf_fight_artwork.jpg (923x1200, 296K)

>random encounters
>only 1 battle theme

Attached: 1551671599857.jpg (567x567, 69K)

This, BOTW really needed Dragon Quest's sense of adventure & should have set the story in real time with Link travelling across Hyrule with Zelda like in the flashbacks. That plus Traditional Dungeons & orchastrated music would have made it literal perfection.

clearly deserves a spot in the list

>random encounters
>bad
the battle theme was music kino too

Attached: 2016%2F02%2F15%2Fa1%2Fpizza_every.8fb73.jpg%2F950x534.jpg (950x534, 74K)

look at this dude getting mad about a fucking gameboy zelda remaster meant to buffer the next main zelda game

>it's TOO faithful to the original!
jesus christ

Attached: 1529298829116.jpg (616x303, 54K)

Attached: Noble Voice.jpg (295x342, 13K)

Gameplay is shit, story is shit, game is shit.

More games exist that are criminally underrated then this, this is just something somebody like Dobson would put on a list.

overrated if anything, fuck this game

If they were gonna remake Link's Awakening, they should have RE2'd it.

Please just remake OOT with Botw's engine and scale

Please Nintendo so I can finally die

Attached: th.jpg (474x643, 55K)

objectively I have to agree, it's what zelda should strive to look like

then you fags would complain that it's too different
and at that point it would have to be the next main zelda title because of how different it would have to be

It must suck being you

I am surprised that The Last Story isn't on there

I said I'd be fine if it was a straight remake. I just think the art style looks like shit, and I would prefer Link to look like he does in the artwork.

OOT is literally perfect, all it needs is a hard as fuck mode like in the Original Zelda. What we actually need is a full scale Minish Cap or Spirit Tracks remake

Rather than underrated the name of the article should have been underappreciated, because all of these games were underappreciated either because they were niche or they were shit.

There's 2 reasons why it feels that way. The first is the reason why Adam is mad at her. See Samus left the Feds because she was put in a situation where she wanted to save someone and couldn't because of her orders. She never wanted to be there again so she became a freelance bounty hunter who can do what she wants. And the reason Adam is mad at her is because she left his command? What the fuck?

But this leads to the second reason where there isn't a single moment where Adam endears himself to Samus. At all. Which also makes Samus look bad because she's literally killing herself to earn Adam's forgiveness. And her lesson in this dumpster fire of a story is that she had a chip on her shoulder and felt she had something to prove and she should've just trusted Adam. Even though Adam doesn't even want her there and only tolerates her because she's the most powerful thing there. I guess he forgave her before killing himself. Which the Metroids got out anyway so he died for no reason.

Attached: na4w1.jpg (556x590, 22K)

Because the game was mediocre. Only thing that made it "interesting" was the way it got to the US with that autistic campaign.

Attached: 1551481810591.jpg (941x908, 142K)

>there will never be a Zelda game with a 90's artwork style to it that defines a more realistic yet still exaggerated and anime kind of world and cast
instead we're stuck with Nintendo doing their damnedest after TP to make Zelda games as "soft' as possible and it's getting absurd

not as much as lost odyssey. Bland combat, bland exploration, bland story. Only the short stories are good, some of the music is nice too but uematsu's done way better. It's like a final fantasy game, already overrated, but worse

People still have a hard on for the beta OOT N64 footage and the empty openness it had. Which is exactly what BotW delivered, a game that actually plays like those beta vids and the original Twilight Princess trailer but even better.

Everyone still found ways to hate it and say its not what they imagined, but that because they have a hollow shell of an idea of this dream game in their head. You need more than a few context screenshots to create a proper game.

*completely overshadows you*
*reduces your company and legendary developer to a mobile gaming division*

Attached: 231331b[1].jpg (190x268, 27K)

There's nothing SJW about it. Other M is a legitimately sexist game in how it handles Samus and Adam. Its portrayed as something positive when its not - you get the idea that Sakamoto let his fetishes slip through too much into the dev process. The hell run is a genuine low point for Samus and her character.

Basically blame japanese values. She was once his subordinate, so it's a sense of fealty and loyalty that she broke, causing him to be "rightfully" pissed at her, while making her feel guilty as fuck for doing it. In any other country it's nonsensical and just turns both characters into awful writing.

No, you're a fucking retard. In Fusion, Samus loses all her upgrades because of the surgery to save her life from X infestation, the space feds starts uploading updates back to her as they manage to make them compatible with her new Fusion Suit, but later it's revealed that they were willfully holding back on giving her too powerful upgrades to keep her from damaging the station/discovering their Metroid cloning facility, and AIdam starts hacking the upgrades in anyway

In M:OM, for some reason, Adam strictly forbids her from using ANY powerup, even non-lethal, protective ones like Varia and Gravity Suit and Space Jump and Speed Booster, because he's a complete fucking moron, and Samus agrees to it, even going so far as traversing life-draining lava rooms without her Varia suit, because she's an even BIGGER moron than Adam, but the actual biggest moron of them all is any user that actually paid real life money for the garbage train wreck that is Other M.

>there will never be a Zelda game with a 90's artwork style to it that defines a more realistic yet still exaggerated and anime kind of world and cast
good, bring me back to the real zelda with big hair and classic 80s fantasy art, and giant evil pig ganon

It must suck being you

what's the difference?

Attached: chykka.png (580x401, 335K)

It doesn't help that he takes cues from the shitty manga and even gives the author of the manga a Special Thanks in Other M.

I would say they kill box was worse

>I'm locked in a box being shot at from all directions
>I could just turn on the Wave Beam and instant solve this problem
>Nah Adam didn't say I was allowed to

Is Samus stupid or mentally 5 years old?

>manga
Even there it fucks up because Samus calls Adam her father figure even though Old Bird and Grey Voice literally raised her

That's what he's saying, dipshit. The games aren't underrated because a ton of people appreciate those. Imagine, being this fucking dumb.

Who gives a shit? Metroid has always had the stupid fucking trope of starting off strong in the beginning only for you to lose all your shit and regaining it.

Attached: 1551331448237.png (1020x748, 923K)

That's bad but at least the Wave Beam is a weapon. I'd love to know how authorizing the fucking heat protection was a problem for Adam.

I will be fine if Fusion and Other M is retcon. Seriously, fuck Adam.

God you're a fucking brainlet

Attached: 1521574099580.png (784x409, 35K)

same, fuck both these games

Sakamoto should have skipped this chapter and made Metroid 5 instead but after Fusion and this (Fusion is nowhere near this bad but it planted the seeds), Metroid 5 probably wouldn't have been good at the time in the series current state under Sakamoto. I'm honestly glad Other M happened, because it got Sakamoto to rethink his ideas and make Metroid 5 more of a Metroid game than what he was going for in Fusion and Other M.

Except context matters. If Samus is burning alive or being attacked through walls she doesn't fight back because she can't. She lacks the tools to do so. Once she finds them she immediately roasts those fools. In Other M she's 100% capable of solving this non issue and she's just choosing not to. This also conflicts the will of the player. Because I KNOW the solution to being attacked through walls. And I know Samus has it at her fingertips. But I'm forced to wait until Adam is finished jacking off before he tells me I'm allowed to defend myself

>Fusion
Fuck you, Fusion is a masterpiece

>linear as fuck
>filled to the brim with cutscenes that interrupt the gameplay
>lore is about some stupid evil GF shit instead of the galaxy or chozo
>barren exploration
>boring as fuck space station setting instead of an interesting planet/planets
>forced handholding
>muh adam daddy figure ruining any pretense of immersion
>obsessed with clones
fusion is shit

>people caring about Metroid lore
>when it's clear Nintendo doesn't give a fuck about it
For what purpose?

Attached: 1551153505794.jpg (300x212, 12K)

They won't be retconned but I can see Metroid 5 ignoring both and acting more like a spiritual reboot to the series.

This, don't forget that the X were added because Nintendo ran out of ideas on where to take Metroid so they needed something for Samus to fight even though she defeated her old enemies so they just made a bunch of mimics that would only last one game along with creating a new suit that Samus will discard for her original look in Metroid II, Super, Zero Mission's second half, and Samus Returns meaning that the whole Metroid DNA was meaningless.

it doesn't help that X-parasites are just a shitty version of phazon either

This isn't even a lore thread. But Other M put such a heavy focus on cinematics and story that it's impossible to ignore

>Samus is freaking out over Ridley
>Even though by this point she knows it's a clone and not even the same Ridley
>Ridley's corpse is on BSL Station

U aving a giggle Sakamoto?

>shitting on fusion
Granted when the fuck will they move on past fusion for a future game? Not like they completely made events after rigid

And a shitty Metroid/Space Pirate replacement with even Fusion's US website (now dead) giving hints that the Space Pirates are still around. I can see the future of the series Samus dealing with the Space Pirates, Metroids, and the new faction rogue Chozo. The humanizing Samus arc started in Fusion was so bad that Sakamoto had to drop the corrupted GF shit for a new story arc not dealing with who Samus is but back to her being the hope of the galaxy like it was with Metroid NES-Super.

They're pretty much ready to, when the 2D Metroid game is announced for the Switch it will move past Fusion but not continue that Federation shit.

youtu.be/WW7EfHJX-zM

>Spec ops
Fucking retards.
>If you don't kill people you can't finish the game you paid for
>"Ok I'll kill people"
>WOAH LOOK WHAT A HORRIBLE MONSTER YOU ARE

> i bet you think pieces of shit like TP look good
Nope, all the 3d Zeldas look pretty bad.

and that is why I will never play Spec-Ops.

Why waste money on a game that chews me out for playing the fucking game?

>But Other M put such a heavy focus on cinematics and story that it's impossible to ignore

Yeah, the cutscenes in Other M are unskippable.