What are some of the worst retcons you encountered in games?

what are some of the worst retcons you encountered in games?

Attached: gos head.jpg (488x584, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZRk_ZBQ0C2E
youtube.com/watch?v=TBO6yC5FdTM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Halo 4 with its nanomachine garbage is a worse excuse than a retcon.

Attached: .jpg (460x578, 142K)

The Overmind was just a poor, misunderstood, noble creature under the control of the old ones or whatever Blizz called them.

explain. what did they to do?

He's really handsome

Gear of War 4 and every locust being weak to knives.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZRk_ZBQ0C2E

PARASITES

Attached: metal-gear-solid-3-end.png (736x429, 479K)

Halo and the flood being retconed into being the precursors.

>what if we took the logistical godsend of near infinite magnetic ammo blocks built into guns with built in heat sinks and replaced them with a supposedly superior heat sink design that makes guns unable to fire without one of these new expendable units that must be carried on your person and only last 30-60 rounds on average before they need to be swapped
>all because soldiers don't want to wait a few seconds for their gun to cooldown normally

Attached: SniperRifleSpareThermalClip.jpg (640x358, 44K)

From recent memory a lot of things in Destiny 2

Attached: tfw.png (1980x1118, 2.28M)

Jet

Middle Eath Shadow of War and black people existing in middle earth. Inb4 easterlings. They were always olive skinned and represented real life middle easterners.

while it is a dumb retcon i think they needed to make the switch gameplay wise or 2 and 3 would be even easier

They could have easily done it without retconing everything. You don't understand. Shepard gets out of a 2 year death coma and the first thing he says when picking up a weapon is "no thermal clip", even though he was not alive when they were invented. Then there's all these missions where you go to long forgotten places and they have thermal clips everywhere. Logically speaking, it makes no sense to have all guns be unable to work at all without thermal clips. There are also these huge weapons which realistically would be able to hold both the original cooling system and a thermal clip system.

All of SC2's main story just made me sad. I liked all the isolated one-offs of the terran campaign though.

Regenerators from re4 die to a knife

what the fuck?

kingdom hearts from basically the HEY FELLAS scene and onwards

TES Series
Anything to do with CHIM and Dragonbreaks

Nobodies can grow hearts and emotions.

>Main premise of Fire Emblem Birthright
>side with your bloodline
>turns out you’re not bloodrelated at all and we can fuck without consequence
Idk if it was really a retcon because it fights the rest of the story but it totally fucks the entire narrative

Attached: DFFB6DEC-CBBF-4B2A-89E5-CD8F43F53B55.jpg (498x499, 40K)

SC2 was when I could no longer deny that nublizz is shit.

The entire intro of ME2. Single handedly murdered the franchise in less than 30 minutes

care to explain more? interested in this

This was heavily implied with Roxas in KH2 though.
I don’t want to be a lorefag but Roxas has emotions in KH2. How they just dropped it on us with Xenmas was totally gay though

Attached: BF8D5493-3046-47E2-8E55-67C058900214.jpg (1280x720, 126K)

Starcraft 2 works.

They basically retconned broodwar entirely.

youtube.com/watch?v=TBO6yC5FdTM

Here, have a laugh, or a good cry.

Wait that was a retcon? I thought it just new info on their backstory. When was there ever contracting info?

The amazing thing was it was fucking easy to fix.

Extend the timescale a bit (You know, so people actually think Shepherd died), and you can expect that all the professionals will have upgraded or retrofitted to use thermal clip weapons because you can't get through the next generation kinetic barriers without the extra power.

Throw in a few lines about people still using the old shit, include a few wildcat weapons that tried other methods to stay relevant, include a scene where Shepherd or one of his allies just face-tanks a while clip of one of the old weapons.

Finally, regenerate the bottom clip of any weapon slowly, so you have a backup, but it's inadequate for normal use.

Now I've fucking rectified the lore and gameplay disconnect with a small code project and a single scene.

Fear 2 and 3

Should've added heat sinks you can put in as emergency cooling when weapon overheats but you can only carry a few on you, so you have to choose whether to wait for gun to cool or use one.

Ollanius Pius not being a normal human being

Attached: 1fb.png (600x583, 340K)

Ocelot's Liquid arm in MGS.

It's so fucking retarded in every way. Kojima literally retconned it twice.

Attached: AC-Origins-Lore-Amunet-Shot-02.jpg (1621x889, 243K)

Attached: 1225596941657.jpg (450x494, 123K)

I didn't even think of this.
>invent chainsaw bayonet because lol locust skin to thick.
>gears 4, lol just stab bitches

>hey, you know all that mysterious shit that happened in MGS 1-3? ever want an explanation for each every single one of them, removing the mystery?
>no not really
>it was all nanomachines and parasites
Fuck you, Kojima.

agent 47 killing his handler's parents in hitman 2018 is pure contrived garbage and it retcons her nice backstory fom absolution

from what I understood about that:
Ocelot was being possessed by the arm in MGS2
Between MGS2 and MGS4 he had the arm removed, replaced with a cybernetic arm, and then underwent hypnosis to continue the "Liquid is possessing me" ruse

perpetuals were a mistake

The flood used to be from another galaxy.

>Oh, by the way, the Guardians died in Omega's explosion and this game's premise wouldn't work if they were alive, so these characters who developed over 3 games story ends arbitrarily. Have a nice day.

Attached: Aftermath.png (337x159, 43K)

Amaterasu having selfcest with her past incarnation_(male) in Okami

why? it's not like you're running out of ammo anyway

They even had some old woman cleanly cut off a Giga locust's arm with a foot long knife.

There was this guy in team fortress 2 hacking the other day and his name was "rat_con" which is pretty close to what you said so I think I'm qualified to speak on your subject.

Anyways, I reported him and when I said that I reported him he started a votekick on me and everyone voted yes and I got kicked out of the server even though I wasn't the one hacking which I think is pretty unfair if I'm being honest.

It's absolute bullshit. The precursors were getting their asses kicked by the forerunners, so they committed mass suicide by turning themselves into some powder, which would turn into the flood a millennium later. It gets even more retarded. The flood remembers the values of the precursors. It LET ancient humanity beat them because it was impressed by them. That's another recon, because ancient humans originally beat the flood by ingeniously altering their own DNA to make the flood turn cannibalistic after infecting humans.

I feel like there should be some golden rule that says something like "if you ever feel like you have to/want to go in-depth about the reasons why everything happened in your story, don't" It seems like whenever there's some prequel or story beat that sets out to explain why everything is the way it is the overwhelming response is "you know I think I liked it better when I had no idea"

Try being less of a shrimp next time. You come across as very weak in this story. It's no wonder everyone sided with the hacker. Humans (at least young ones) are pack animals. They defer to the judgement of a strong leader. If you can't be a leader, then be a Judas. Go all Nothing Personnel on the hacker and report him without saying anything.

Samus being trans.

nice lies. That was never a thing in the first place.

There's a right way to do it and a wrong way

Right way: Mass Effect 1 had either voiced lore entries or text data dumps for nearly everything you encountered in the game and it was amazing. They were completely optional and you had to choose to look at them in the menu.

Wrong way: HEY LET ME EXPLAIN EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED IN THE LAST GAME DESTROYING IT TONALLY, LOL ISNT IT GREAT

That's not always true. You do have to explain some things in your stories. Especially if something new happens and it seems internally inconsistent. However, there's ways to do it wrong and ways to do jt right Mythical things in MGS had been established to simply exist in that universe from early on. There was no need to explain the Cobra unit's powers.

Any instance where magic or supernatural shit was later explained away with science/technology.
Fuck this shit. I don't care if the game is unrealistic with supernatural shit. It's cooler that way.

Worgen just being Night Elf Druids that went insane rather than being from the same hell planet that Dreadlords and Warlock mounts were from

That was never their lore
And it wouldve been retarded anyway because there's nothing demonic about them unlike the dreadsteeds and dreadlords

Yeah, they basically dropped the whole plot line about Liquid possessing Ocelot and instead made it about nanomachine brainwashing instead.

Which is funny since MGS3 spends a great deal explaining to us why it makes sense for Liquid to "live" through Ocelot given his father's abilities.

Not quite. It only cared for the Zerg.

And even then, the revelation that the 'Tassadar' that appeared to Zeratul being a Xel'naga so that Zeratul would believe him intentionally casts doubt on whether Xel'naga was telling the whole truth, the partial truth or just flat out lying for the greater good.

How would you explain how a normal being could be in Horus's flagship? Move the entire confrontation to Terra, then?

LOL YOU'RE NOT REAL, YOU'RE JUST AVATARS IN A VIDEO GAME
NONE OF THESE WORLD ISSUES MATTER
THE FIRST TWO GAMES DIDN'T MATTER LMAO IT'S JUST A PROGRAM BRO BUT YOU GOTTA STOP THE VIRUSES

Attached: image?_version=00_09_000&platform=chihiro&w=720&h=720&bg_color=000000&opacity=10 (720x720, 157K)

This wins. Sure some twists can be so bad they ruin a game

But this twist right here killed a whole fucking franchise.

>the end of the world isnt a big deal actually because the flame never really dies out for good and there's always someone around to kindle it anyway
>Gwyn wasnt just a desperate man doing whatever it took to keep the flame burning, he was actually evil, racist and a coward and literally everything bad that happened in the series is his fault

and the rest of the series also suffered from that twist

The map of Sonic's world in Forces compared to Unleashed purely because of how painful it is that we'll never see anything from pre-2010 modern Sonic again. And also the "two worlds" thing when they just as easily could've done what post-reboot Archie did and have one world where humans and anthros coexist

Attached: cryingwojaksonicgames.png (1334x1334, 748K)

You knew it wasn't real when you put the game in. Why are you upset to know that the actions you took in the game didn't actually happen?

no (You) for you buddy

When it comes to 40k ships, it's entirely possible.

The things are absolutely massive. Some are literally continuing to serve the Imperium while stamping out the remains of boarding actions decades prior.

Ollanius Pius fought like any guardsman, and if that meant he on three hours of sleep for the last five days, the last of a full regiment.

Also, before the Heresy, the Imperial Guard had significant boarding forces. Only after the Heresy did the Imperium segregate the Guard and the Navy.

The entire point of Pius was that some poor shmuck fought his way through horrors beyond the human mind, was alone, battered and bruise, far beyond the limit of lesser men, and when he reached the bridge and saw a fifteen foot tall slab of plasteel, warp energy and rage standing over his Emperor, he charged the fucker with a bayonet.

Emps was so distraught about his children that he needed to be reminded they were not the Astartes, but they were Man, and they deserved deliverance from his favorite son.

Borderlands and the New U stations now effectively being non-canon and retconned into being part of the fourth wall, when all complications during BL2 could have very easily been handwaved. This is minor and there's bigger bullshit in BL2 but a throwaway line is all what it would've needed.

Attached: man holding ps3 games.jpg (384x313, 13K)

Witcher 3 had the shittiest laziest retcon of all time, and they pulled it out of their asses in the last five minutes

> I can stop the apocalypse for some reason Geralt with zero price to pay

Fuck this game

They literally had the explanation in 2. Jack removed the old vault hunters because he wanted them dead. Angel put you in because she (and Jack) wanted you alive. Jack can't remove you because he relies on Angel to do that for him, and doesn't get the chance to go back and fix it.

The only point where it breaks down is during the final boss, which could have been as simple as adding an objective to go sabotage the network before you go fight him.

I didn't see that explanation in the game at all, instead people proposing that idea. Even if it's true it didn't stop a mention from the non-canon museum fliers in the Pre-Sequel.

The Pre-Sequel is a mess.

They never explain it directly, but it's pretty obvious when you line everything up: The Vault Hunters have been hiding because they die for real at this point. Despite being "betrayed", your party still pops up on the Nu-U stations, because Jack wants you to do the Judas thing. Once you're done with that, Angel turns around and rebels, leaving you registered. The Vault Hunters are fucked however, because they're already in the system as "do not rebuild"

Turning Dredgen into a Titan was one of the dumbest moves from the new team of writers. Just can't replace the Staten genius

Attached: 1529975242389.png (1438x1030, 1.25M)