Tfw you know most companies have lost the source code to their games

>tfw you know most companies have lost the source code to their games

Attached: conan3.jpg (399x445, 15K)

It's amazing how many did that, especially for anything PS1 and earlier.

Square literally partially rebuild games from beta versions and ripping assets from the PS1 iso to port it.

Especially Japan.
It's like they thought "Well, we're finished with the game, there's no way we'll ever need to use this for a sequel, another game, or save it for posterity's sake."

on the bright side, it limits the endless amount of ports, remasters, and lazy sequels, and forces them to make new games

>source code is lost
>"remaster" is the original iso with a BSD-licensed emulator sold for $30

>like 15 final fantasy games
You'd think that would've been the case wouldn't you?

>It's amazing how many did that, especially for anything PS1 and earlier.

Very few companies from that era are left. Would have been considered stealing if employees took disks with the source code on them, even if the company is going bankrupt.

gotta love metal slug

>tfw no source code
>tfw no ports
>tfw the ENTIRE GODDAMN CONSOLE ISNT EMULATABLE GODDAMMIT SEGA WHY THE FUCK DID YOU HAVE TWO CPUS ON THE SATURN

Attached: PanzerDragoonSagaBox.jpg (220x313, 23K)

The grim fandango remaster managed to find like 80 old hardrives full of stuff. I think its just the Japanese being too tidy. They rebuild temples after so many years and sell cars after like 5 years tops. This is what they do

wut, I didn't try it myself but it supposedly runs fine on yabause (a saturn emulator)

..actually scratch that, looking it up it does have a few issues

it's still playable but not the best experience

Holy shit your right. Thanks user!

most coders tend to remember a good portion of their code save for exact numbers
not to the willy nilly line for line but they have a general understanding of how they arranged everything and can probably get back most of it except for yet again, the exact numbers
so if they had any exact physics it's probably gonna be a long ass time of tweaking again
but most coders will be able to at least roundabout recode what they lost
now if it's new people trying to do that to old people's code, lmao gl

I'll take not the best experience over 850 dollars on ebay

Get a load of this guy

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 23K)

it's not untrue, i've recoded a lot of old projects without looking at the original just because i remembered what i did before
some of the time i just did something better because i learned something new inbetween that i felt was more optimal

Oh yeah sure and I'm going apple picking with Scooby Doo

cool tell me how that goes

WTF even is that STFU nerd

Lol if you think this you're retarded.

Attached: pxk2fyhmpuo11.png (640x1138, 586K)