Link's Awakening remake

Does anyone actually like this artstyle? It literally feels like the lowest effort they could have put into a remake graphically. Plus it's apparently going to be $60...

Attached: linksawakeningremake.jpg (633x356, 230K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IVP9aeuoACc
youtu.be/D0uLgdlEBbk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah, looks neat. Like a little diorama come to life
Is it my ideal art style? Nah of course not, I still prefer the original GB game, but at least they're trying something different

The artstyle is great though, it's just a question of whether or not it suits Links Awakening

I think it looks fine, but I sure as shit ain't paying full price for it. I don't know where Nintendo gets off charging so much for this or things like that Yoshi game.

Compare it to that Shadow of the coloussis remake. That's a fantastic looking game and it was 40 bucks.

Unironically fpbp

I respect their attempt to maintain the caricatured look of the original sprites, but I don't like how cheap and plastic it looks. It strikes me you could easily fix it by making the game less shiny, and putting a cel shading effect on it.

i like it and it works great for a remake, I just dont like the way link looks

Is a remake of a game really a place to be trying something different though? Nigga, make a new game.

$40 would be a good price for this, yeah. I don't even think the original game was $60 when it released.

youtu.be/IVP9aeuoACc
Case in point. Put a filter on the game, Nintendo.

That's what I'm saying: it works for some models, like the Chain Chomp, but on Link and some other characters it just looks plastic.

If you don't like the remake, play the original. Simple as that, I don't even own a switch don't plan on getting one right now, but the art style looks neat I'm glad they're doing something different.
I've still got my original game CIB on my shelf, I play that at least once a year

It's supposed to look plastic

The original has some issues. Namely, too few buttons. It'd be nice to have a definitive version of LA, that fixes that problem.

why not go for an artstyle more evocative of a dream? it looks good but it seems wrong for this game

That's stupid though. Plastic is synonymous with cheap and shitty. No one likes plastic.

>too few buttons
Seriously dude?
You don't need anymore buttons than 2

>Does anyone actually like this artstyle?
I like it a lot, maybe because I´m a oldfag who played the game in the original release and I was waiting for a remake with a simple but cute artstyle than a realistic bullshit cinematic experience.

t. zoomer

With Zelda it is what it is. I know not every artstyle is going to appeal to me

>the constant juggling act whenever a dungeon needs you to switch between more than two buttons on the regular.

Looks great.

Okay zoomy

You can have cute art styles that don't look cheap and lazy. Since everyone seems to be comparing this game to claymation, for some reason, here's Kirby Rainbow Curse. A game with an actual claymation art style, that looks beautiful.
youtu.be/D0uLgdlEBbk

one for jump
one for attack
one for shield
one for grab
one for item

the original made everything an item but it required to many pause to change the items

this game needs to be remade without the touch screen.

Almost like things you put up with at the time can become obnoxious to go back to, once you've gotten used to better.

I just said that I play this game annually, and have ZERO problems with it. But I'm not a retarded zoomer
Jesus

>wanting qol improvements makes you a zoomer
kys. When it come to some mechanics LA was worse than ALttP due to the inferior hardware

Even Link's awakening had a better button situation. That's an older game.

nintendo is so fucking lazy, why does it have fucking mario enemies in it? lol
this game is going to be shit.

Uh, A Link to the Past.

nintendo game bad

Attached: npcmad.jpg (225x225, 6K)

I don't know what a qol is but you zoomys can't handle simple games, you need everything to be gritty and realistic
And links Awakening is a simpler game you don't need to use every single item at once retard, how often do you have to jump? I literally never used the shield

The art style is fine, and even with the narrow perspective it’s an acceptable 3D representation of the original, but the plastic look is distracting and takes the aforementioned art style one step beyond the outer limits of acceptably cute to outright preschool levels of childish. That’s coming from someone who loves the look of games like Kirby’s Epic Yarn and the new Yoshi game, where it makes sense, but for a beloved series like Link’s Awakening is kind of a slap in the face.

>I literally never used the shield
Yeah. No one did. Because it was annoying to pause the game to take it out.

Nintendo game bad. Very bad.
Sony game. Sony game good.

No, because the game is for fucking kids it's piss easy

I agree

Attached: 2lsgcd.jpg (376x360, 12K)

zelda games only need 1 button desu, no reason you can't just pause and swap items as needed

This will be the Links Awakening skin in Zelda Maker.

Yes, I do
>It literally feels like the lowest effort they could have put into a remake graphically.
The lowest effort would have been reusing existing assets, so no, making brand new assets isn't low effort at all just because you don't like them
>Plus it's apparently going to be $60...
Nintendo's games are priced at a premium, this isn't news

They should pack in a new Four Swords with this game. I feel iffy about this as Link's Awakening, but the art style would really suit Four Swords.

I wouldn't hate it as a budget title, but it looks like a game made in Unity to be thrown on Steam in a month.

Steam doesn't sell games, only digital files

>Plus it's apparently going to be $60

More like $69.99 + tip, gaijin

Samefag (probably OP)

It's not bad and I don't hate it.
My mine gripe begins and ends with the idea that I just think it's an odd match for Link's Awakening (I 'get' it, though, I know it's supposed to be a dream) but think it would look AMAZING for a Super Mario Bros 2 Remake or new Earthbound/Mother game.

Attached: fb-preview.jpg (600x315, 111K)

A rational explanation in an LA thread?
MADNESS.

Attached: Que.jpg (185x179, 6K)

It's just like the Lego Movie squuuuuuuueeeeee

*holds up spork

>I don't even think the original game was $60 when it released.
From what I looked up, the average prices for most GB games when the GB first came out was 29.99$ - 39.99$.

Attached: Researching usless bullshit.png (427x410, 228K)

You forgot the Nintendo tax.

It's the Celda debate all over again.

First you don't like Wind Waker, so I made Twilight Princess. OHHHHHHH, but you say don't like it. It's too drab and bloomy you tell me. Well I capitulate and make Skyward Sword. But then you said it had too much LOD filter because I of the impressionist graphics. You said it looked like shit. So we made Breath of the Wild. But apparently it's not good enough for you and you start making mods to have it look more like a toy game. SO THEN WE MAKE A TOY-ESQUE ENGINE FOR YOU AND PUT IT ON LINK'S AWAKENING. BUT YOU WANT WIND WAKER NOW. WELL YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU WANT!!! I'M MAKING THIS EXCLUSIVELY FOR PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T GROW UP ON LINK'S AWAKENING AND WON'T THROW A FIT EVERY TIME ABOUT WHAT ZELDA "shoul look like." SO YOU JUST SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

Attached: miyamotobirds.jpg (547x406, 46K)

>Well I capitulate and make Skyward Sword. But then you said it had too much LOD filter because I of the impressionist graphics.

Not that the Zelda Cycle isn't real, but people still don't like Skyward Sword and it had nothing to do with visuals.
Skyward Sword was just a bad Zelda- it was in fact the 'worst' Zelda.

>it would look AMAZING for a Super Mario Bros 2 Remake or new Earthbound/Mother game.
The Mother idea is what I have been saying for awhile. My crackpot theory is that Nintendo has been working on a Mother series remaster for the Switch. On top of this, I think they believed they needed to rush something out to fill the gap made by Metroid Prime 4's delay, so they went decided to fill it with a remake to save time, and went with a 2D Zelda one believing nostalgia and name recognition would help it to perform well enough, but needed an engine that was either completed or in development in order to get it out by end of year, with the Mother remake one being the best match. This is all just pure speculation, but the likeness between Link in this remake and Ninten/Ness/Lucas is uncanny, and as has been pointed out by others the artstyle is a really good match for the Mother series.

I think it's hilarious anyone was expecting a realistic art style for a top down perspective of a tile based game world

Put a realistic Link in front of a rock and explain why he can't just hop over it. You need several layers of abstraction to keep the game from breaking, or you'd have to completely remake it and then it's not LA anymore

Attached: pokemans_by_rnzzz_6447.png (350x208, 105K)

>I think it's hilarious anyone was expecting a realistic art style for a top down perspective of a tile based game world

People were expecting something like A Link Between World's Artstyle, not a 'realistic style'. I can't imagine where you'd get that idea.

Attached: zeldalinkbetweenworlds6_1.jpg (800x480, 95K)

If anything, a remake is the best way to try something like this. Imagine if it were a completely new title to do this. The backlash would be huge. Remember Wind Waker? This would be several times worse.

Why not play something that has a soul?
>Zelda fags BTFO

Attached: secret-legend-tunic.jpg (720x405, 61K)

You kidding? Don't you remember the first couple threads? Everyone and their mom's black boyfriend were comparing it to BotW. Not necessarily realistic, sure, but still incompatible with how LA plays.

Adjusted for inflation?

I like the style fine. Only thing I don't like is that it's a remaster. I'd rather a new game.

>Adjusted for inflation?

You don't wana do that, user.
The buying power of a dollar from the 90's is anywhere between 1.70 or 3 whole fucking dollars in today's economy. I don't even know how that fucking happened.

Lazy, $60, cash grab
>B-but he looks cute
>It's looks like a diorama
>Much soul

I like the art style but I think that most 2D games should be hand drawn.

yeah of course, look at REmake

>diorama
more like diarrhea

Attached: 1547148016722.png (406x332, 175K)

>this thing has superficial similarities with this other thing, if you ignore half of the context. Hmmmmmmm
Fuck off, retard.

I'm actually pretty okay with varied art styles, I liked Wind Waker's a lot when it was quite divisive. But LA is just too much, I can't stand it. It's probably the fist Zelda game I'm not getting and it's purely because of the art style.

Fpbp

I hate this stupid meme. You niggers spam this every year but many people still maintain the same tastes.

So attach your bad ideas to things people already have an emotional attachment to, so that they take it better?

Its like the new pokemon...pretty shitty but good enough to sell in 2019

The artstyle is okay. It's a bad attempt at W101 I feel, they pulled the miniature look off so much better. But it's entirely serviceable for what they are trying to do.
Charging that much money for a 100% faithful remaster is fucking stupid though. I can just go play the original which looks better, has a more consistent style and isn't burdened by whatever tiny, stupid tweaks they make.
If you're gonna remake a game, fucking RECREATE it. Resident Evil did it and produced two great games, one of which is STILL timeless and near fucking perfect to this day.
Link's Awakening will be forgotten within a week. I am absolutely confident it will be less successful than Pokemon ORAS.

Yeah, no. REmake perfectly rekindled the feeling that people had playing the original game for the first time in 96.

This art style is not Wind Waker. The original game was Wind Waker. Cute, caricatured, elegantly simple. This is Wind Waker HD.

only Yea Forums thinks it's cheap and lazy because Yea Forums doesn't understand the effort that goes into a game.

It looks cheap and lazy. I don't care how much effort they actually put into it.

The only way it's gonna be worth $60 is if there's a substantial amount of new content.
Otherwise I'm gonna wait 3 years for a "Nintendo Selects" version.

This looks great, thanks for sharing

Even if it's a top down game it doesn't have to look like a cutesy 3D recreation of a Gameboy game. Since you used a Pokemon example look at Pokemon Colosseum and Gale of Darkness. Those games used realistic proportioned characters and environments and the camera changed its angle to suit the environment instead of staying fixed all the time, and this didn't compromise the top down gameplay at all.

Attached: pokemon-colosseum-5.jpg (616x480, 70K)

No one expects that. Stop strawmanning.

when is this coming out on pc?

This is actually true in a weird way nintendo is one of the only companies that takes risks anymore.

I guess square does with FF. But those are all shit.

Technically any game where you're constricted to horizontal movement with the camera stuck in either fixed or swivel can be a "top-down" game.