Why do gaming journalists hate gameplay?

Why do gaming journalists hate gameplay?

Attached: PokemonWildEncounters.jpg (1080x1279, 349K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z8RdPaAkE7E#t=11s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I like that we can fight them again but the overworld will feel so empty now

They were never gone. Let's Go is a spin off. Fuck IGN I want them to die.

Attached: 1543278359117.jpg (1536x2048, 376K)

Damage control. They're spin offs. Hence the names
>(Let's) Go

Official word is what defines what something is, retard. Deal with it.

well as much as I like the battles, the mechanic from Let's go, in which I could actually see what I was going to fight and maybe capture, was very welcome, random encounters are trash, Visible enemies are good

I actually preferred the way Let's Go games handled things.

no idea
which dimension do these fucks live in to not love random encounters?
its almost like they never play pokemon other than LGPE

there was an entire decade where if a jrpg had random encounters the journalist would deduct several points off the game's score

Why not both? Have a area similar to the old Safari zone for the ball throwing.

random encounters are a mechanic that are only still a good idea in certain games and subgenres and pokemon isn't one of them

Random encounters are shitty and antiquated, if you played any recent JRPGs you would know.

>Official word
Ah, here you go then.

Attached: pokemon core rpg 2019.png (616x606, 186K)

>sprays repel
get fucked plebs

I prefer a hybrid approach : keep the wild battles but give me the overworld spawning mons

Nah I like that you could see which pokemon you coulf encounter. Though I would like to keep the battle as how it was before LGPE.
Overworld Pokemon + classic battle system would be pretty neat.

You know like DQ 11 or Persona.

Disgusting newfags. Fuck off to your shitty farmville games.

>gain less experience from them than trainers
>get no money
>can easily avoid them with repel

Why are they even there?

that's because jrpgs and arpgs moved on and evolved while pokemon relies on a strict core gameplay with incremental changes. Reason is no one competes with Pokemon.

That doesn't say anywhere that Let's Go is a spinoff, unlike the excerpt I posted which literally states it's not and that it's also a core game.

LGPE was such a mistake

Pokemon appearing on the overworld was much, much better in Let's Go. The issue was that you couldn't fight them.

Just because Pokemon games have random encounters doesn't mean that they're not a dumb mechanic. Especially given tech that we have now. It was outdated on consoles as of 1995

Dis

Not even him but that says nothing about Lets go not being core, that said it's irrelevant. It's retarded that pokemon never advances from the previous games, the pokemon being in the overworld was incredibly cool

Phoneposters with bad taste, shocking

can't rebattle trainers instantly

I like the surprise of what's gonna come next. If I can see the pokemon in question in the overworld I find it boring. I kinda like the way SMTIV handled it tho.

Reading about how the IGN Anthem review was done in a 2 day marathon makes me think that the reason videogame journos hate videogames is because they can never review them in a normal environment.

Dexnav was a way better system.

How the fuck does Sword and Bored look worse than Let’s Go? Was it really ported from 3DS?

dexnav or island scan are compatible with the overworld method, they're just a way to get rare mons with egg moves.

I don't think going entirely back to random encounter isn't the best solution but it's better than the lazy way they did it in GO. They needed to diversify how Pokemon reacted to your presence. Some should have been territorial and attacked the player or other Pokemon that came to close. Others should have hid in ambush to attack the trainer, others simple grazers, timid Pokemon that would try to run away or hide, oblivious slackers who just kind of lay about. Some should have acted differently to the player based on what other Pokemon were around.

The answer is yes ign. Fucking retards.

Pokemon is an old style turn based RPG (that is for babies but still) so random encounters are important.

Because Gamefreak are talentless hacks. Pokemon is literally RPGmaker-tier kusoge.

Now this does sounds interesting. Would be ok with something like this.

all of what you're describing requires an overworld realtime AI like in Monster Hunter, good luck convincing GF to do that

its been in development since sun and moon
gamefreak thought the switch was going to bomb like the wii u

Yeah sure whatever

7th Saga has the best overworld encounter system and you can’t convince me otherwise

Put the same system on the pokedex and you get the best of both worlds

random is better. You fight more and there's more suspense stop trying to casualize everything

I haven't played pokemon since Silver/Gold, why did they get rid of a main part of the game in the first place?

1. Run up and down on a patch of grass, running away from the same trashmon 255 times before a pokemon you want appears
2. Stand perfectly still until a bunch of trashmons appear, and then chain catching the same one for days until your find a shiny

Wow, could it be BOTH of these "gameplay" methods are shit?

Attached: sw3p4p84.jpg (295x337, 78K)

>gamefreak thought the switch was going to bomb like the wii u
Jesus Christ those fucking cunts. Not only are they incompetent hacks but they act like this?

>underleveled mons

Enjoy grinding outside a gym retard.

>Yea Forums defending blind random encounters
I swear you fucking niggerfaggots get more retarded each and every day

If you're going to do this you need much larger open areas, as well. There's no point to making the battles 'optional' with letting you see who's in the tall grass if there's dick squat for space and the instant you walk into the field the tiny patches of grass are completely covered with wall to wall pokemon.

In other words, you'd have to build the world and the design from the ground up to accommodate. Who'd have thought.

I never said they'd do it, GF is indeed incompetent and only capable of making rudimentary handheld games, console tier games are completely beyond them. I'm just saying it'd be the best game design decision.

Random encounters are great in games focused on resource management and exploration. They encourage you to ration and min max so you'll have enough resources to fight whatever boss lies at the end of a dungeon

Pokemon doesn't do this. The random encounters honestly don't serve any practical purpose. In fact I'd say the do nothing but take away from the core of what pokemon is, which is the world and the pokemon inhabiting it. Since random encounters are so arbitrary and easily mitigated in pokemon games, I feel like you should just have them out in the open world instead where you can preemptively avoid encounters instead of popping repels or sitting through a battle transition loading screen before fleeing

Now LGPE didn't have the best implementation of overworld encounters, but improving upon it would do a lot more for pokemon than just reverting it to random encounters. The pokemon should, ideally, interact with the world in a natural way and the methods you use to catch them should reflect it. Imagine having to use a bug net to catch butterfrees that congregate around a flower patch, and catching them would transition you into a standard battle. Or sneaking up on Stantler that would otherwise flee like skittish deer if you just run up to them. Or rattata darting from bushes and forcing you into unsuspecting encounters etc.

Basically I don't think pokemon has ever used random encounters in a way that really takes advantage of the system, and feel that overworld encounters fit much better with what pokemon is trying to be

>Why are obstecles in my game?

You are gay. Your ideas are gay. Your mom a gay. Neo Yea Forums out.

It was for Pokémon Go, the game that they were aiming at casuals... despite the fact that Pokémon is already pretty casual.

i enjoy the surprise, might be an entei, you never know

Honestly I'm fine with random encounters, what I'm not fine with is Gen 8 looking like a 3DS port yet at the same time, looking like it will be WORSE then SM.
>new region is LITERALLY a straight line

Why do Nintendo games have such little originality that the only "new features" they have are just old features they previously removed?

random encounter is an archaic system.

I grew up on it and it's fine

But the surprise still exists with visible pokemon. If you have Enter traveling around everywhere in the world, seeing Entei on a random route is just as surprising and exciting as Entei randomly appearing literally anywhere.

>mechanic's

It's just "mechanics".

can we stop talking about game journalism? i thought we agree its a dying field full of bumbling retards who were never good at anything and aren't even passionate about games?

I don't give a shit about this I just don't want these new games to be full of Gen 1 pandering like the last two Gens.

please fuck off with you console war faggotry.

confirmed never played pokemon. EXP mainly comes from trainer battles, you don't need to random battle in any of these games because they are designed for children.

LGPE was featured along with all the other mainline games in the Pokemon Direct. Retard.

based retard

See this why you don't want to attract literal retards to your franchise
They ruin absolutely everything

>take out hallway level design in favor of more freedom of movement. Not open world, but have the games forests actually be you navigating through a forest with trees and shit, not walking around a hallway surrounded by trees
>Remove random encounters in favor of seeing and tracking down the Pokemon in the world, with various ways to approach them and instigate battle (think wimpod catching in gen 7 or laying bait in Pokemon Gale of Darkness but vastly expanded)
>Give players a method to put work into pre-existing Pokemon to get their stats competitive ready without breeding, but keep breeding as an option
>Side quests
There I fixed it

I liked how the wild pokemon were actually on the map, though. Would have been a nice addition to the main series but I understand why it isn't in.

>Literally the only way to obtain new pokemon
>wtf why is this major mechanic present in my game?

I agree. Roaming mons look and feel better, you can adjust the spawn tiles and encounter rate accordingly.

Attached: digimon_world_image18.jpg (598x422, 74K)

Pokemon actually running around the map was the one thing LGBT did right, but Game Freak can't seem to understand that keeping good features from the previous gen in the newer games is a good thing.

Out of the 47 posters in this thread, only 15 of them actually played Pokemon.

The mechanics don't posses the return. Adding the apostrophe makes it read "mechanic is return."

>Official word is what defines what something is

"lootboxes are not a scam"
> never pays out the big items no matter what the % chance displays
> doesn't use third-party verified RNG engines for their gambling

>muh casual overworld spawns
go play your shitty game for toddlers

They really should have created a hybrid system:

>Pokemon run around the overworld like in Go, running into them starts a battle like normal Pokemon
>However in grass there is still a chance to be ambushed by pokemon, but the chance is a lot lower than it is now

People who don't like random encounter just hate gameplay but they lie to themselves

true
the real gameplay is waiting
boy golly do i love waiting

Attached: why does gamefreak love wasting my fucking time._upload.webm (1920x1080, 1.55M)

It's the return of the mechanic, or the mechanic's return

's can be possessive or an abbreviation
retard

LG is a mainline game according to Masuda. Sorry.

Visible encounters is a good thing faggots. It's shit in LGPE since that game is a fucking 1:1 remake of a 20 year old GB game. Throwing pokemon in small and tight random grass patches looks retarded

If anything, maybe add an option at the start of the game or something. Then make a post game side quest that allows you to toggle between both thing
Or don't play that fucking shit game since there hasn't been a single good pokemon game after BW2

Nah your still wrong

>genres can't improve

Attached: tumblr_pigsf1377D1qf3fyf_540.jpg (540x305, 38K)

>M-MUH SURPRISE!!!!
Fuck off.

Never mind that the surprise is there only for the first or second time, most routes in pokemon have only like three different encounters, and most of them are shitmons you've seen already.
Random encounters are what make any surf or cave area a slog to play through with zubats and tentacool assaulting you every ten fucking steps. It's not challenging at all, and you can't even use them to grind for exp like in other RPGs because wild pokemon are usually about ten levels inferior to trainers. It's just annoying.
Why leave this feature exactly the same for twenty years if every player who's played pokemon before just spams repels?

Overworld encounters weren't implemented very well and didn't mesh with the previous level design from RBY, but you can say the same about random encounters. Pokemon in the overworld could have amazing potential if they were implemented like say in pokemon ranger, but it mostly boils down to Game Freak.
The only reason you'd be against it is because it would require them to actually think about level design.

Pokemon is an entire shitty franchise for toddlers. Imagine having this little self-awareness.

Is that DQ11? How's that game?

Pokemon always goes up 2 steps and then right back. No pokemon following you, battles look less animated and random encounters again.

>b-but they were always for toddlers
not a valid excuse you filthy casual baby

the funny part is how often jrpgs with overworld encounters, like chrono trigger, persona and earthbound, show up in people's 3x3's. but suddenly if you think pokemon should join the rest of their genre in adopting them, you're a "zoomer."

GameFreak only put in random encounters because they were too lazy to create overworld models of Pokemon from gens 2-8. That's the actual answer.

I can't believe there are real people that defend GameFreak's decision to introduce a feature in one game, then remove it in the next. Absolutely fucking stupid.

Reminder that Pokemon has no excuse. In Zelda 2 for nes you could encounter monsters on the field. Meaning it was feasible during Gen1&2. In breath of the wild you encounter monsters on the field. Meaning in Gen 8 it is feasible.

They're even lower on the totem pole of shit mechanics than MMO quests

They'd rather write and project their opninos about deeper shit in media, but are actually terrible at their job, so they project it into videogames cause those websites are the only ones that will actually hire them.
Just use a repel like wtf how is this even real haha

Yeah honestly this is a bad choice random encounters are bad, and also bring back exp share please, and just cut the amount of battles in half, and please don't make the gym leaders such high levels. I shouldn't have to train to be as strong as them, can we please get a fast forward option as well? This would make pokemon perfect, 10 steps ahead.

>game about battling and catching monsters
>just dont battle and catch monsters lol

Let's go is a shitty spin off like countless other pokemonspin offs, everyone who likes the series knows this
Ignore the shitposters

How is that them hating gameplay? Let's Go had a much, MUCH better encounter mechanic than the random encounter bullshit. Like everyone else is saying the issue was they removed the gameplay in random battles.

I say this as someone who loves classical turn-based RPGs to death, random encounters are their biggest flaw and games with overworld encounters feel a lot better to play.

Why not just add a instawin button and done with it

you just hate difficulty!
*puts on a repel*
ah now this is difficulty

I like Let's Go for that, the world felt alive

Is the exp share actually gone in SS?
I liked it, it made grinding much easier.

When I return, it's my return.
When you return, it's your return.
When something returns, it's that thing's return.

We could've had overworld encounters that go into wild battles. I hate that they did away with it, riding, and following pokemon so much.

>Why do gaming journalists hate gameplay?
Most game journalists hate video games and the fact that they have to at least pretend to play them for their jobs. They're ideologues who found out too late that very few people were willing to pay them to be communists and smash the patriarchy.

because less gameplay = easier to pump out a cheap review

no fucking way is that from Let Go?I didn't bother buying it but they better not bring that to Sword and Shield.

And more immersive yeah. And the classic battle system can still be there.

random encounters kinda suck dick and it would have been cool if they revamped it without casualizing it has hard as lets go did

Pokemon is a decade behind the rest as always. Even DQ and SMT ditched random encounters in spinoff games 13 years ago, with both finally getting rid of them entirely in their latest mainline entries.

good

>Why do gaming journalists hate gameplay?

Random encounters were always bad for gameplay though, so what are you talking about?

Attached: 12344889445.jpg (2000x1797, 853K)

>Half a dozen different Pokemon stuffed into this small patch of grass doing fuck-all

It looked bad.

My favourite RPG franchise is Etrian Oydssey, which has random encounters. The difference is they work in EO and are worthless shit in Pokemon.

It's a pretty stupid mechanic when you also have the ability to just run away from everything

As someone who despised Pokemon let's go ruin the franchise, the overworld encounter system was the start of something great, and with some refinement could have been excellent.
Reverting to random encounters is lazy and given the devtime a perfect example of why Pokemon is getting worse each game. (Not willing to change/improve)

Random encounters is a convenient way to have a variety of different Pokemon without cluttering up the overworld with a clusterfuck of different monsters bunched up together. If you wanted to get rid of random encounters for real, it'd be better to completely change the entire overworld in its entirety. Wandering enemies only works if the world they're in is sufficiently large enough. Otherwise it looks bad.

No you retard. Thats a random encounter.

I just do not like the idea of seeing every rare monster before battling. It cheapens the moment imo, and also gives you situations like that one guy losing his shiny rapidash because he didn't approach fast enough.

Remember when Yea Forums said the pikachu and eevee games were for the pokemon go crowd but none of them bought the games?

Literally everything about that post was right.

Better than the theme park mess of LGBT. If you want overworld mons at least give them maps that are actually able to support them.

To much water

>not abandoning the series after the mediocre whoring-out of RSE

Attached: abc80a4c8327aaf7fcf4879e74091f78.gif (480x360, 1.69M)

random battles are shit and always have been

That's great though. Imagine going after wandering legendaries, but if you don't approach them right they bolt before battle. Back in gold I encountered a shiny hoothoot before you get pokeballs. It sucked but hey this happens.

But user, that requires work. We don't do that at Game Freak.

Of course it looked bad, LGPE was a tile for tile remake of a Gameboy game. It wouldn't look so terrible if Gamefreak actually tried to design something that resembled a grassy field and not just a high resolution 3DS game.

I would prefer options
>Are you a boy or a girl?
>Would you like Wild Battles or Pokemon Go style?
>Random encounters walking through grass or visible enemies?
Done.

Can we get a Pokemon spinoff made by Monolith Soft, please?

Exactly. It's truly absurd to me people could bear that crap.

>playing Pokémon past the age of 15
Having fun playing a series that gets more dumb downed for each new entry. I bought a 2ds and Pokémon Y a few years back after not playing since Emerald/Fire Red just cause I was feeling nostalgic at the moment and wow what a shitshow of a game it was.

I feel like this doesn't actually work that well with a battle system like Pokemon's, because whether the enemy Pokemon's charging at you or you're the one attacking them, the way the battle plays out isn't gonna be any different. Because every encounter plays out exactly the same (fade to black > battle field), how you approach Pokemon ultimately doesn't matter. This isn't Breath of the Wild or MGSV where you can tactically approach enemies from any angle which can greatly change how the encounter plays out. In Pokemon all encounters are the same.

proud japanese men no need help of the white devil

>RSE was bad
fuck off

duly noted

>started the trend of removing features of the previous games
They were dogshit
Fuck masuda and his shitty games

>17 water routes

overworld encounters:
>hmmm I want oddish
>go to route 1
>I see four different Pokemon there at once
>pidgey x2, rattata, and an oddish
>approach the oddish
>catch the oddish
>done

random encounters
>hmmm I want oddish
>go to route 1
>walk in circles
>~DUH NUH DUH NUH DUH NUH~
>black loading screen
>it's pidgey
>throw out first pokemon
>run
>walk in circles
>black loading screen
>it's pidgey
>throw out first pokemon
>run
>walk in circles
>black loading screen
>it's rattata
>throw out first pokemon
>run
>walk in circles
>black loading screen
>it's finally oddish
>throw out first pokemon
>catch
>done
>and all of this is assuming I even know oddish is in the route in the first place because I might have missed it from avoiding all the shitty rng encounters

>drones actually think the latter option is better because they're brainwashed into thinking a fucking black screen somehow adds "surprise" or "mystery" or that running in circles adds "challenge"

trainers are to be avoided
if i can't catch the pokemon i'm fighting i don't wanna bother fighting it

mommy give me me tendies NOW

>Hm, I want a Pokemon with a rare chance of appearing
>Enter field and look everywhere
>It's not there
>Exit and re-enter field and look everywhere
>It's not there
>It's not there
>It's not there
>It's not there
>Enter fiend
>There it is

As someone who remembers the bullshit Gamefreak put us through concerning Feebass in gen 3 I have no sympathy for random encounters.

Random encounters aren't integral to the genre. There's a reason most other old style turn based RPGs have left them behind.

And in this scenario the OW encounters was still faster because you respawned 5 Pokemon at once instead of going through multiple 10+ second long transitions seeing one at a time.

>walking in circles adds challenge

>Running along the entirety of route 5 over and over until it spawns the one you want doesn't take forever
>Running along an entire cave over and over until it spawns the one you want doesn't take forever

>This is the exact thing Yea Forums was sating when the game was announced
>Now that IGN also thinks that Yea Forums suddenly changes its mind and thinks random encounters in grass is great

>>Running along the entirety of route 5 over and over until it spawns the one you want doesn't take forever
Yup. Because it's still faster than taking 15 fucking seconds encountering and running away from Pokemon one at a time.

Removed features:
> radio
Replaced features:
> artisanal pokeballs
> second region
> literally everything fucking else
Retard.

I still want pokemon with specific conditions, behaviors and locations. Something like Feebas but less arbitrary.

It's not about the challenge, it's about earning the crap you want. You know, like most games are supposed to work. What's the point of playing a game if everything is handed to you nicely for free.

I see no good reason for any game to gave random encounters, past Earthbound. Is it that hard to have a sprite on the overworld?

because if I wanted to challenge myself I'd actually be doing something to actively better my life or challenge me. I play video games for fun, if you want challenge why the fuck are you playing nintendo games?

>waiting for a computer to randomly give you a thing by walking in fucking circles while barely paying attention and browsing the internet or watching TV is "earning"

Random encounters are integral to Pokemon map design. Walking through grassy paths will generally keep you from trainer battles at the cost of random encounters. Without random encounters, grass becomes pointless.

The problem with this approach is that you'd need to program 100+ different mons and also create an overworld that allows for that. It could take many years to create a single game.

>Random encounters are integral to Pokemon map design
...then change the map design

god fucking forbid they have to actually change something substantial for once instead of just reskinning red and green for 20 years

what?

are they fucking STUPID?
god i HATE fucking nu age journos, if this was 10-15 years ago, you wouldn't hear this shit from them.

do you know what I'm going to say next?

Because real life challenges aren't entertaining.

Why does it need to be the same though? Many RPGs with onscreen encounters also have pre-emptive, normal, and ambushed states when entering a battle.

>It could take many years to create a single game.
Maybe they should start doing that instead of releasing a new mainline game every year.

>it's a "Yea Forums defends an objectively worse mechanic because they think it makes them more hardcore" episode.

Seeing enemies in the overworld is just a lot better because
A.You aren't randomly interrupted.
B.You can choose which Pokemon to fight and C.It makes the world feel more alive.

There's a reason why Dragon Quest switched over to having enemies in the overworld.

Attached: mcclure orange.jpg (437x327, 42K)

You might have a leg to stand on if Pokémon map design wasn't also in desperate need of an overhaul.

Overworld encounters don't have the same risk:reward that random encounters do, and it makes tall grass pointess.

Because it ultimately doesn't matter anyway. Wild Pokemon are generally inferior, and it wouldn't affect trainers battles since trainers aren't likely to ambush you. "Oh no, this Pidgey ambushed me, what will I dooooo"

A compromise would be to have areas where it makes sense for them to be hidden. Tall grass, deep water, dark caves, but they should be visible in places where it makes sense for them to be visible like inside of buildings.

>having lifeless puppets wandering around aimlessly makes the world feel more alive
lolno

All I want is, like, a "tagging" system. Then you can standardize. For instance, tag their usual schedule, a couple environmental things they like, and a few leisure behaviors.

Pokemon's schedule:
> Sleep (8 hours) in [nest area preference: cave/grass/tree/etc]
> Find food (2 hours) [food preference: carnivore/omnivore/herbivore/etc]
> Leisure (6 hours) [leisure preference: spar/frolic/rest/travel/etc]

>C.It makes the world feel more alive.

it did the opposite in LGPE
because of how badly it was implemented, it made the world even more dead and soulless

There is no risk/reward with random encounters. You just click the Run button and escape.

This is a good compromise. It would be fine in caves where wild encounters are annoying and unavoidable anyway.

some wild pokemon have abilities that prevent you from running away and even without that ability you are not guaranteed to be able to run away unless you are too overleveled

They are, but one looks better.

trainers only ever have 2-3 pokemon at levels below yours anyway so there isn't even a risk/reward at play

You want a portable title to have this sort of system? This is a system that rewards patience and waiting. Pokemon isn't a game that designed for long-term play. These games are designed to be played for maybe a few hours a day. And without a system to speed up the passing of time, this sort of system would be more of an annoyance than anything.

>because of how badly it was implemented, it made the world even more dead and soulless

nope

pidgey actually fucking flying around, imagine that. It feels alive. It feels like a Pokemon world. Compared to SS where the routes look like barren wastelands. A Pokemon world, yet somehow no Pokemon are there to be seen.

Attached: jpYwK4q.jpg (3830x1070, 697K)

Why are you acting like tall grass is the be all end all of Pokémon map design? If they changed how the encounter system worked then they could change how tall grass worked or remove it completely, it's not a necessity as you're weirdly making it out to be.

It also can add more challenge because it allows you to put stronger higher level pokemon in the area that the player has to actively avoid.

Isn't that kind of the point? I mean, Zubats are designed specifically to be annoying as fuck. They do very little damage but have a bunch of tricks that are geared explicitly towards being obnoxious.

If you get rid of grass, then there's no reason to take routes with trainers on them.

>random encounters
>players have to push through areas fighting hordes of pokemon, will have to battle every type and variation to proceed forcing you to train your mon to new heights
>non random encounters
>players pick and choose what they want to battle, sidestepping any challenge. Gym leaders and other trainers are heavily gimped with the idea in mind that the player skipped at least half of the possible battles
>elite 4 is just a repeat of the last gym leader
>casuals praise this because they don't have to grind

Why didn't Earthbound have random encounters then? If they're so important.

>finally dropping the kiddie graphics for more modern style
fuck I may actually buy a switch now

>>players have to push through areas fighting hordes of pokemon, will have to battle every type and variation to proceed forcing you to train your mon to new heights

Attached: T0PvjhD.png (113x44, 11K)

Except to deliberately challenge them, which the game encourages you to do. The bigger issue is how such a map design would negatively affect trainer encounters, since it would naturally favor wild Pokemon over the trainers themselves.

Overworld encounters won't work until Gamefreak stops making isometric gameboy maps instead of true open world maps.

are there really people who don't purposely battle every trainer on every route? who is trying to avoid trainer battles in a pokemon game?

>why didn't a shitty forgotten game have a good feature?
maybe if it did have a good feature it wouldn't have been abandoned and forgotten

spoken like a true beta

But true open world would detrimentally affect trainer encounters and towns. Most routes aren't actually large enough to benefit from open world either.

Woah dude, are you suggesting GF to actually put a modium of effort into pokemon behaviour and encounters?

>players have to push through areas fighting hordes of pokemon, will have to battle every type and variation to proceed forcing you to train your mon to new heights

Attached: saJcSBr.jpg (2560x1920, 698K)

> Make the day/night cycle not tied to the system clock
> average speed makes one ingame day go by 2-4 times per real world day
> WRPG styled waiting system
Boom, now everyone has a chance to see everything by playing "a few hours a day". They don't see 20 sunsets in a couple-hour session but they don't have to literally play at midnight or fuck with their system clock either.

>Earthbound
>Abandoned and forgotten
It has multiple characters and stages in Smash, how is it forgotten? You retarded?

There's a big difference between hating random encounters and hating gameplay.

Not going to lie, but Go's overworld encounters were more fun. It was more exciting to see the pokemon as you hunt for them.

Incorrect.
What the sum agreement of people is defines what something is.
If 99% of the world's population thinks X is a boot, and uses it as a boot, but the creator of X says X is actually a hat, and begrudges its use as a boot, who is wrong? If X was such a good hat, why are people using it as a boot?
Creators aren't infallible, and they often have motivation to be dishonest when it comes to defining things. That is why creators and companies always sperg out when they are forced to name things what people say they are; because more often than not, they were lying to your face.

Random encounters are fucking shit there's no good reason for them

Attached: 3e4b96cbfb6e3b385ee521d7b1a07020.jpg (800x800, 63K)

So why doesn't Chrono Trigger have random encounters?

> earthbound was shitty/abandoned/forgotten
Holy shit, how contrarian do you think Yea Forums is? Nobody hates Earthbound that much.

They don't, which is why they know random encounters are trash.

>dude spinning the circlepad while barely paying attention to the screen is gameplay lmao

The Xenoblade games do this nicely since you can see enemy levels ahead of time and decide if you want to take that monster on or try to sneak around/bolt past it to get to where you want to go.

Ok, keep playing gameboy shit in HD.

That still forces you to abide by the game's passage of time. Again, these are designed to be portable titles. Waiting for things to happen isn't actually desirable of the medium for most players.

Why the fuck can't they just show the models and when you get close to them you enter a battle? Seeing the pokemon was the ONE thing LGPE did right.

i think the let's go game's encounters seemed awkward

Yeah you have to actually prepare for that and use money. That's fine.

What bothers me is how every suggestion for open world Pokemon completely ignores the existence of towns and trainers. No one seems to actually give a fuck about how such an overworld would affect towns and trainers as a whole.

honestly feel bad for those attached to pokemon due to childhood nostalgia

guess I should recommend SMT, is similar and much better

>One path has lots of roaming wild Pokémon, but they're weaker than trained Pokémon and you can technically avoid all of them (although it can be made difficult by having them move erratically or chase after you). You could also make these paths longer and more winding.
>Other path has unavoidable trainers, who are stronger but lesser in number. These paths could be more straightforward and shorter.
It's not hard.

>yet another "literally who?" game
not an argument
being present in smash doesn't mean it's relevant
captain falcon is in smash and most people don't even know what game he's from

Random encounters are the best way to do it

The only game that did 'enemies visible on the map' well is Dragon Quest XI

>than trainers
To begin with because back then you could only battle trainers ONCE, rematches were a new addition as the series went on, secondly because you can tailor your pokemon stats by battling in different areas.

Did you not read the entire post?
> wrpg styled waiting system
You don't have to abide by the game's passage of time you absolute fucking moron.

it does it the same way that most games do it
so why is it excluded as good

Trainers are just wild battles you can't run away from. The only trainers that matter are the ones that let you progress the story.

>One of the most popular RPGs of all time
>"literally who?"
Do you even play video games?

> chrono trigger is literally who
I'm sorry, but kindergarteners aren't alowed on this board.

They hate gameplay because it’s usually too difficult for them to overcome it before they can pump out their shitty article.

Random encounters are hardly an obstacle. Bravely games even let you turn them off.

Throwing Pokeballs yourself should 100% return, no reason for it not to, but only at the end of wild battles. Non-random encounters that you can see on the overworld should be somewhat rare and should supplement random grass encounters. In caves, only overworld encounters should be used.

Point out any flaws in this logic.

What the fuck is wrong with that Pikachu?

>why do I actually have to fight enemies in an RPG? Let's Go around them instead!

I don't know what hurts me more, that the developers are LITERALLY too retarded to even implement an improvement like being able to see the pokemon on the overworld, or that, not even in a million years, they will have the good sense to do what you just said. It would literally be the ONE thing that would change pokemon from braindead kiddie shit to an alright fun kiddie game.

Pokemon Musou when

But they're still a necessary part of the experience. In a hypothetical open world Pokemon field, you'd just have a bunch of characters standing around and doing nothing. You'd have to deliberately approach each and every one of them because they'd just be standing around vast expanses of land.

if lets go are core then Colosseum games are also core and become the official best mainline games

>Able to instantly key in on whichever Pokemon you want to catch or use for EV farming
>His immediate assumption is that people want on-field encounters to make it easier
Brainlet detected.

The only flaw would be if I can't play the game with a pro controller like with Let's Go.

>what is the "run" option

>In caves, only overworld encounters should be used.
Do you want to go through caves covered head to toe in Zubats that badly?

To catch Pokémon
duh

> Catch pokemon after it faints
FUCKING PLEASE.
> Give you back every pokeball you throw after a fight
Eh, not so sure about that, from a balance perspective. Pokeballs are pretty cheap, and it might be fun to stock up on more obscure types.
> Some encounters random, some overworld
Might be fun, but I don't see a reason not to go all the way.

This. Each time a new map is entered, the mons from the previous area respawn, even if they didn't die, for rare/shiny farming.

Sun and Moon had overworld Pokemon in addition to random encounters.

>ugh i hate how easy pokemon is!
>*cries that Nintendo doesn't let them skip 90% of the game*

So many games have adopted on screen enemies to avoid or interact with for battles. Dragon Quest, Mother, Tales, SaGa, Mario RPGs, SMT and its off shoots.

You probably just don't play enough games to see other games in the genre actually doing it.

>Because it ultimately doesn't matter anyway
yeah no you're just retarded
>see shy pokemon
>run after it
>aggressive pokemon sees you and runs in front of you
>you enter the battle and lose the shy pokemon from your view
>have to track it down
It would actually put some challenge and strategy into the game.

>Catch pokemon after it faints
absolute cancer just fucking git gud at the piss easy toddler game

How is that any worse than Pokemon only appearing at certain times of day like in every gen except for 1 and 3?

Because your memory is faulty. SS looks way better.

That's actually pretty smart, I remember the thrill of playing Ragnarok because of this.

Thing is, I don't actually like that system either.

>Lifeless overworld Pokemon just walking in circles spawning and despawing, existing just to cause FPS drops since Gamefreak can't do shit right even on the Switch

Attached: 1551550453445.png (1594x1467, 3.16M)

What is your point? Doing those things makes the video game easier.

>then change the map design
You mean evolve it, they are still using the same fucking designs from the time where their games had to deal with massive limitations. Now they don't have the same limitations as an excuse, but STILL use the same mediocre designs.

>Throwing Pokeballs yourself should 100% return, no reason for it not to, but only at the end of wild battles
No real need. Balls are cheap and plentiful and I need an excuse to actually buy shit once in a while.

>Catch pokemon after it faints
Are you really so bad at the game that you can't make sure the Pokemon you're after doesn't faint? It's literally the one solitary strategic element of wild Pokemon encounters and you want to get rid of it?

>Spin off series has a better encounter system than any mainline game

Attached: 250px-Ranger_SoA_EN_boxart.jpg (250x224, 32K)

Then let the player fight whatever they want, if they never fight anything they are going to be underleveled and unable to progress anyways.

Something that is determined off of the speed stat of your pokemon, which is raised after doing enough battles (gameplay).

I have literally never seen people argue so hard against on-field encounters as much as Pokemon fans. Go into a thread about some other RPG with them and you'll probably be laughed out of it for suggesting they're a bad thing or you'll be in the vast minority, yet apparently they're the life and soul of Pokemon and the games cannot function properly without them.

It doesn't make anything easier, it just makes it take less time. Repeatedly running until you get a Pokemon that boosts your speed EVs or whatever the fuck isn't difficult in any way, it's just time consuming.

Which is just another incentive for players to cheese and grind the fuck out of their pokemons. There's no way around it, if you want a more skill based engaging game, you need less randomness.

it looks like they've spent half of their budget on the water

Fucking Gamecube games looks better than this shit

Attached: xdhq.png (1210x617, 711K)

Journalists only argue for Let's Go because they're retards who don't actually wanna play games.

I'm not "bad at the game"- randomized elements that allow you to do everything right and still fail are fucking insulting. If a legendary is in the red, paralyzed, confused, and I throw an ultra ball at it, and it doesn't even have the good manners to shake twice, that's fucking stupid.

Basing things on player reflex is more fun that just stats though. Imagine Pokemon actually lunging for you, and having to swerve to avoid them.

Expect for the fact that 90% of normos act like They’ve all played the game on the GameCube. Face it, everyone in smash is in the public conscious one way or another

>see that lake?
>you can't enter it!

Attached: Mondrian Pepe.jpg (900x675, 53K)

At least let me surf it for fuck's sake

Attached: Palkia and Dialga Gen 8.webm (1280x720, 852K)

I thought only Dragon Quest fans like random encounters. I've been playing RPGs for decades and I've always loathed random encounters.

That's why you carry tons of balls. I mean, what the fuck else do you spend your money on? Legendary Pokemon are either scripted or static encounters anyway, so you can just reload the save.

that is literally what animals in real life already do, and is also better than having INVISIBLE lifeless puppets that only spring into existence when you shuffle back and forth on a grass tile 40 times

If the target breaks out of a pokeball with its current health and status condition once, it's virtually guaranteed to do it again. Have you never actually played Pokemon enough to know this?

I think rather than Poke Ride or HMs, what they should do is make each badge a "license" to do certain things. So if you have the correct badge, you should automatically be able to use the appropriate Pokemon to surf or fly. On the Pokemon's profile, there should be some description that says what they're capable of doing and if they're allowed to do it.

pokemon has been stale for 13 years, let it go

the reaching

pokemon is n't a skill based engaging game, it's a casual grindan collectemall gaem

Reading this thread is giving me fucking depression because a bunch of retarded random anons are massively better at game design than gamefreak, and it showed me how much better the Pokemon series could be, fuck all of you.

Attached: how do we deal with this little shit.jpg (604x453, 69K)

Yes, but if you allow fainted Pokemon to be captured, then it still removes the single element of catching Pokemon that matters. Take it away and every Pokemon can be caught 100% of the time. The fuck even matters at that point? Just use Let's Go's system.

Pokémon fans are legitimately a brainwashed cult. They can and will tie themselves in knots trying to defend the games from criticism and suck Game Freak's collective dick.

>it's a "competitive fag things the main gameplay should pander to his smogonfag sets" episode
yikes!

Even Dragon Quest hasn't had random encounters since 2006.

>hate random encounters
>still doesn't fucking use Repels
What the fuck is wrong with you, you absolute retards? The game gives you the tools and you still whine like little bitches. Cordially kill yourselves.

Attached: 1540764662387.jpg (609x324, 36K)

it's really saying something about the state of pokemon and gamefreak when even DQ is willing to move to visible encounters

Seems like you probably can enter it. Those expanses of trees in the background, however, appear to just be flavor.

It is a turn-based RPG, it is fine if even everything in the gameplay is strictly turn-based.

It could be both you retard. Imagine a game that's both engaging, skill based and a collectaton. We don't play games because they are braindead, we play them because they are engaging.

Because I also want to catch interesting Pokemon I see on the route.

Yeah I know, but you still see fans seething over it.

Or you could have encounters on the map which can have various different types of enemy groups within the over world representation and they all have their own patterns in how they rush you along with speeds and you need to learn how to dodge them so there is something else to do along with exploration on the world map.

>yikes!
Dumb zoomer.

Fuck random encounters in Pokemon. It should be a beautiful immersive world with pokemon blending seamlessly into the environment not lazilly plopped in the overworld or completely unseen.

Why not change it to make it more fun though?

Tell me about it. I like DQ and it changes more than people realize, but they all seem pretty similar at their core. Something about the way DQ does this is fine with me, but Pokemon just doesn't handle it well.

Attached: disumotherfucker.jpg (979x695, 207K)

>defending LGBT version
>calls others zoomers
that's the nigger calling the kettle black!

>too overlevelled
It's based on speed, you retard. Level is meaningless. A high level slow mon will still be stuck, while lower level speedier ones can escape with ease.

the only point of seeing pokemon in LGPE was for farming purposes. There was no other reason.
If you needed to increase stats you had to farm certain pokemon for candy.

"we"
you don't play braindead games, thats fine. not all of us are 100% on gamer mode at all times. sometimes one would just want to waste time.

If you want real time gameplay then play real time RPGs.

his face, that gave me a good kek.

Random encounters are a trash mechanic and every decent RPG has long since abandonned using them.

How did you not realise that already? You only need to look at what other series are doing to see that Pokémon is being held back by terrible devs and a fanbase that has no standards whatsoever.

Attached: GoingFullRetard.gif (270x138, 1.71M)

Fine then. Let players see the mechanical percentage of catching something and raise it to 100% with some effort.

Random encounters are a shit mechanic that could so easily be replaced by something better that the fact that they persist is retarded. They're a rusty remnant of JRPGs from fucking decades ago, there's no reason why they can't be replaced with a better system

I want real time gameplay with Pokemon.

I feel like this goes against the general core concepts of Pokemon. Because the Pokemon never actually directly attack you. Every combat scenario is a battle between two Pokemon. The trainer is never in any danger, so having the trainer dodge to avoid merely starting a battle feels really stupid. It kinda takes you right out of it, because if you fail the dodge, all it does is result in the trainer throwing out another mon.

It creates a disconnect. It seems like what you want is to turn Pokemon into an action-oriented game where some of the action is focused on the protagonist rather than just the mons s/he commands, but since the actual consequences of failing those actions is ultimately just another Pokemon battle, it ends up not making a whole lot of sense. Incorporating stealth or reflex-based gameplay in a game where the player character's only real role is to shout commands to the units that are actually battling seems awkward.

Try Pokemon Ranger, it's a really good trilogy.

random encounters are very very shit and they're the reason that JRPGs are unplayable garbage despite usually having excellent boss fights

Are there really niggas here who don't just use false swipe on every wild Pokemon they intend to catch?

I truly hate Let's Go, suddenly every retard that dropped this franchise 20 years thinks he can dictate what everyone wants.

I'm glad user.

This.

Soon lads. Gamefreak will reveal proper battle gameplay at E3. I promise. It will surpass the beta for BR.

Attached: Gen 8 alternate timeline.webm (320x240, 2.48M)

I was always under the impression the trainer was under threat from wild Pokemon, if not for their own Pokemon protecting them. In fact, that's how the first game starts. Prof Oak gives you shit for walking into the long grass without a Pokemon for protection. The anime also shows Ash getting savaged be Spearows early on.

We as in "normal functioning humans", I wouldn't even include people who play gachashit on phones on the same category as "normal".
>one would just want to waste time
You realize that absolutely nothing stops a person from wasting time on a game where skill is a metric right? It's a fucking RPG for fuck's sake, removing random encounters won't turn it into bayonetta or ninja gaiden.
>If you needed to increase stats you had to farm certain pokemon for candy.
And in normal pokemon games you increase stats by farming certain AREAS, which is absolutely horse shit, since the exp you need to level up increases drastically as you gain levels. Being able to see the pokemons on the overworld would allow them to use a system where depending on which pokemons you battled the most, it would change which stats you'd gain.

Attached: THINGS ARE REALLY HEATING UP IN THIS POKEMON BATTLE.webm (852x480, 1.82M)

>WE WANT AN OPEN WORLD SEMI REALISTIC POKEMON GAME!
>BUT I DON'T WANT TO SEE THEM I WANT TO BE SURPRISED
and you niggs wonder why the seriers never evolves

>fade to black

Attached: 1539079912932.jpg (310x310, 28K)

Yeah I just try to not think about pokemon most of the time you know. But since I have a switch and haven't played since pokemon emerald, I was thinking about getting this one.

What did those japs said? "The more you love Pokemon the more you hate gamefreak".

Yes, but the idea is that as long as the player has their own Pokemon, they're safe. Their Pokemon will protect them. And gameplay-wise, it's not as if the player has a health bar. So if you dodge you're okay, but if you fail to dodge, you're still okay and you just throw out some mons. It'd be bizarre. Running away from a battle you don't want is one thing, but "dodging" a battle doesn't really make any sense.

Attached: snorlaxfight.jpg (1100x619, 119K)

>Because the Pokemon never actually directly attack you
>battle feels really stupid
Ever watched the anime? Or read the manga? Because if you did you'd know this is complete horseshit.

The one thing I like about lgpe is that you can see the wild Pokemons on the map
Random encounters are fine too tho

I WANT SOUL AND I WANT IT RIGHT NOW

Attached: 279.gif (540x360, 3.95M)

>Animations this long in a world where Persona 5 has been made
It's the little things that make me hate Game Freak

The games that happen on the Alola region also have wild pokemon attacking you.

Same reason you'd ever use the "run" function. Either you're trying to retain your Pokemon's health, or you just don't feel like fighting right now. Anyway the important thing is it adds to player immersion, and it would just be cool. Not everything has to have absolute mechanical function.

pokemon map design is garbage anyway. as of alola, it's become a bunch of straight-line corridors that move you from one unskippable cutscene to the next. pokemon's maps need to change with or without overworld encounters.

So doing the same thing as you already do, except it takes half the time because you're not watching the same 15 second intro animations over and over again?

I don't know chief, those several seconds didn't felt "little" in any shape or form, specially because you know you'll be battling hundreds of pokemons.

But the games don't reflect the anime or manga and you know it. Not once, in the entire history of the games, has a player character ever gotten hurt. There are never any consequences to the player despite losing some money. When have you ever seen a situation where the player character was hurt in any way in these games?

There is no gameplay mechanic where the player can get harmed in any way. The player doesn't have a health metric. The player can't get attacked. If you were to dodge, you'd just continue on as normal, but if you failed to dodge, then what? Nothing. You send out your Pokemon and begin a battle. Even if the wild Pokemon makes contact with the player character, it would only start a battle with no other consequence to the character.

But my argument is that it takes AWAY from player emotion. Let's say a wild Pokemon attacks you. You fail to dodge, and the wild Pokemon's claws or flames or whatever hit you. Then what? Nothing. Player character is 100% okay and only throws out some mons. The player character was never in any danger. It undermines the entire idea of "dodging" an attacking wild Pokemon because that attack was never a threat to the actual player from the start.

>Pikachu attacks twice in the same turn
>As a retaliation
>After already attacking
What in the goddamn

Random encounters have always been a shit game mechanic, and should have died off ages ago. Luckily, I’m not a Pokémon fan.

That's actually from the Black/White iirc.

gee, it's almost like there's a middle ground between game boy hallways and empty open worlds that plenty of jrpgs already fit into. maybe pokemon could try that instead?

>PimpSlickB

Attached: 1551650216837.jpg (550x526, 19K)

The implication is that you'd be under threat of getting hurt, if it wasn't for the Pokemon you carry. I don't think that feeling is at all diminished.

>Basically I don't think pokemon has ever used random encounters in a way that really takes advantage of the system

I thought the way they did the Legendary beasts in G/S/C was neat, albeit annoying at times.

they already showed battle footage in the direct, and it was the same old garbage it's been since xy. game freak doesn't care.

Deoxys isn't fast enough user

Attached: 1551313651627.gif (480x270, 2.92M)

It's a tech demo that probably wasn't running on Wii hardware judging by how good it looks (even though the final game looked like a 360/PS3 game)

Overworld in LGPiss was fucking horrible.
>Item that spawns more mons causes framerate issues
>Mons clip into eachother
>Literally crashing against walls/trees
>Mons don't react to anything.
Overworld encounters are supposed to increase immersion not decrease it.

The problem is most NPC trainers aren't hostile. In most JRPGs, nearly all non-player units on the field are hostile towards you, stalking around and running towards you once it spots you. But NPC trainers aren't enemy monsters or soldiers. This is probably why you can't run away from a trainer if they see you, because you're not really supposed to regard these trainers as "enemies", and basic trainer protocol dictates that you battle anyone you make eye contact with.

I mean, what exactly would you have them do for NPC trainers, then? Have them run around the field, acting like crazy assholes, and charging at you with malevolent intent the moment they spot you? And then if you don't want to battle them, you run away as if they're a threat to your wellbeing? It clashes with the atmosphere the games are trying to convey.

Pokefags are so weird. You're the only people in the world who prefer random encounters to seeing enemies on the map

You're entire argument is hinged on the idea that the game would change all this shit to insert an entirely new dynamic, but then for some reason keep a very heavy standard level for wild Pokemon on routes. It wouldn't. Obviously it would incorporate what literally any other RPG has, where while most monsters are run of the mill and manageable, some are noticeably above your current level and would fuck up your team fairly hard unless you're coming back later with a stronger party.

Random encounters are cancer. Do it like Let's Go but instead have actual battles

I'm tired of the long battle start times in Pokemon.

Attached: those loading times tho.webm (872x490, 806K)

What kind of autistic faggot likes random encounters in RPGs? Jesus that shit's been dead in almost every series for a decade and I havent seen anyone asking for them back

Most wild Pokemon are weaker than yours though. And making them much higher level would negatively affect gameplay balance.

Have you seen let's go shit? You wouldn't want that either.

It triggers a gambling addiction receptor in them.

Except we have the abilities as adults to use actual reasoning to come to conclusions. Let's Go is obviously a spinoff series. I don't fucking care what the niave apologetic and pathetic devs of gamefreak are quoted as saying.

well at least one person will be happy

Attached: BoQzLqdCYAAtmkJ.jpg (600x600, 67K)

>Most wild Pokemon are weaker than yours though
Yes, that would change with the new dynamic. That's the entire point of what I just said.

>And making them much higher level would negatively affect gameplay balance.
No it wouldn't. Many RPGs have adversaries who are noticeably better than the run of the mill. Still manageable, but a threat if you're careless.

i wish i was as simple and happy as him

>tfw no Pokemon with FFXII-tier production values

I can tell which gen of Pokemon was this man's favorite and godspeed him for his love of water.

damn unironically cope nigger

That's standard Gamefreak stupidity. They can come up with good features that had flaws and they can never, EVER, keep putting those features again but improving them. They just cut everything the previous game did to "keep the value of older entries" like stupid fucking retards.

Sorry man that would require GF trying and not being Lazy asf for once in there lives as game devs.

But there's a broad percentage chance of catching any wild mon regardless of health. By save scumming, you can get a Pokemon much higher level than what you're supposed to. Also, if you actually manage to win the encounter, that'd net you a hefty EXP gain which could grant you a convenient way to grind quickly.

It looks like a PS2 game

Then tie the Badge obedience level trait into regular Pokemon instead of just trades.

Random encounters are lazy as fuck you dumb enabler.

lol, BW is 2d

that is from SM

>It could take many years to create a single game.
MAYBE THEY SHOULD DO THAT.

Literally stop browsing Yea Forums or the internet for a month or hell, even a few weeks, you'll noticr a big improvement.

How is visible enemies on the overworld "less gameplay"? It is more interactive since they appear as obstacles on the overworld as opposed to just random triggers that the player has little control over. Hell, there are a lot of JRPGs where players usually get the option to purchase items or skills that reduce the rate of random battles because after a certain point they become annoying.

That's from Sun and Moon.

Because their goal is to play as much of the game in as little time as possible to rush out a review as fast as possible.

Think of them as speedrunners, but without the autism or actual genuine interest in what they're doing, and no intention of ever doing a second playthrough. And their goal isn't to finish the game, it's to shit 2000 words out about it in an industry increasingly comfortable with just doing the same fucking thing over and over and over again.

what are you supposed to do when you stop using the internet?

>was expecting, visually, garbage because of Let's Go
>pleasantly surprised that it looks like they actually put effort into it
>trailer ends
>Masuda is the producer
>all hype lost again

Attached: 1548354581562.jpg (728x690, 120K)

>tfw like both random encounters and visible enemies

Its always a rigid binary with you fags.

>try to avoid enemies in a dungeon
>run into a random encounter, anyway
No, fuck you. The only game that's like that and actually good is Etrian Odyssey.

I don't think that would work nearly as well as you think it would. Prior to Gen 7, no traded Pokemon past level 20 will consistently obey you until you get your second badge. If it affected all Pokemon, most players would find that just about ALL their Pokemon will stop obeying them before obtaining their second badge. Eventually, this limit stops mattering, because the limit increase comes in increments of 10. By the time you get your fifth badge, the level limit kind of stops mattering unless you deliberately trade for a Pokemon significantly higher than that of most trainers who aren't in the Elite Four.

So by making the obedience limit affect all Pokemon rather than just traded ones, you're essentially fucking the player over until they get their second badge, and after the fifth it becomes irrelevant.

why does Yea Forums get so fucking triggered by games journalists existing?

what game?

Because companies see their word as a representation of the fans, or even worse, listen to them INSTEAD of the fans, so when they say stupid shit, people get mad because devs might listen to them.

Tales of Graces. Pretty good game.

youtube.com/watch?v=z8RdPaAkE7E#t=11s

dammit, graces had such satisfying combat why did the plot have to be drivel?

My post wasn't talking about games having both at the same time.

ty

>AA JRPG

>Its always a rigid binary with you fags
Then what the fuck were you even talking about? You're saying "It's always one or the other with you fags", so what else could you possibly mean than "I want both at the same time"?

Attached: 1549698059990.jpg (475x543, 49K)

>Because companies see their word as a representation of the fans, or even worse, listen to them INSTEAD of the fans
this is implying that most people disagree with the majority of what they say. Most people playing games these days are normies. For better or worse, its you and me that are no longer the core audience

I'm not hearing an issue beyond a nerf to grinding, which the game already needs badly. Hell make the badges hard caps on your pokemons level and make any wild catches unruly and unlikely to listen.

>Pikachu wants to grow to lvl. 20!
>Unfortunately you lack to knowledge to progress it's training

>gameplay

Attached: 1551528767166.jpg (1803x2000, 404K)

I prefer random encounters because Gamefreak can't make an overworld where visible Pokémon doesn't look retarded.

Attached: 1523676896360.jpg (731x1144, 75K)

Depends on the games, but you asked why Yea Forums gets triggered, so just pretend the fans are Yea Forums.

this.
>have night and day cycle in 2nd gen that changes what Pokemon appear during that time
>axe it until sun and moon basically
>NEWWWW FEATURE!!!! DAY NIGHT CYCLES THAT AFFECT WHAT POKEMON APPEAR

>so what else could you possibly mean than "I want both at the same time"?

That I enjoy games with random encounters, as well as games that provide visible enemies. One type of system existing doesn't have to negate the other. I really have to explain this?

>random encounters are back!
>they were never gone from the main games to begin with
>only not present in side games like Pokemon XD and Pokemon Go and it's shitty half-breed Let's Go

Replaying Red/Blue when they got released for the 3DS, I appreciate how those first two games were pretty much dungeon crawlers. Tons of trainers, routes, and caves all between you and the next town. Each with a central theme and type, encouraging you to play smarter. This is a concept I feel like was kinda lost in Gen 2 and maybe some of the other later ones, but I think the random encounters play a big factor in the "Almost there.." tension Gen 1 had.

Attached: 1551439797485.png (832x585, 586K)

There was nothing wrong with overworld encounters

Open world doesn't mean everything is a giant open field. You can still have choke points leading up to important areas and funnel players through paths with carefully placed trainer encounters. This is what level design is, and it's still important in open world games.

What's his endgame?

So did i lets go 2 johto im more hyped about over shield and sword
Also ultra sword and shield will be better i bet.

Attached: Kris-Crystal-pokemon-kris-crystal-34267747-375-500(2).png (375x500, 223K)

>One type of system existing doesn't have to negate the other
Nobody said that it did, but if you're talking about an encounter system in one game and don't want both of them, then you have to choose one.

Attached: 1502046668351.jpg (486x659, 39K)

90% of current "open world" games don't apply this concept or theme, I'm not gonna expect some Pokemon game too.

It's obscenely easy to raise a Pokemon's level past 20 even just through normal progression without grinding.

Why was this post deleted?

Attached: 1333994876269.jpg (160x130, 4K)

LGPE introduced a whole lot of qol improvements and a lot of cute shit that was nice.
The issue was they fucked up the main parts, and I bet you $200 that not a single one of those qol improvements are in swoosh or whatever the fuck we're calling gen 8

bingo

I don't mind random encounter just by the single fact it gives that "wow" factor when you encounter a brand new pokemon for the first time. That is, if you're avoiding spoilers from everywhere.

>mistranslated interview as proof of one's point of view
>proven to be a mistranslation because he's said the exact opposite literally every other time when speaking on the subject
>proven to be a mistranslation by the game itself because it is Pokemon Go with a few elements from a normal Pokemon game added in and the use of the Kanto region instead of a GPS map

Dragon Quest is a series about consistency, but even Squeenix removed random encounters in most of the newer games and remakes.

Theres no payoff
Surprise from random ecounters is a meme.

Attached: 1536888910070.png (1920x1080, 821K)

Lets Go invited the worst type of retards. Now they want to pick their fucking battles.

Attached: 1354817708042.jpg (598x800, 338K)

>but you asked why Yea Forums gets triggered
touche

i wonder if there is actually enough of a consumer-base among the Yea Forums type crowd for a games site that caters to the old-school edgy crowd. Id be genuinely unsure if such a thing could be popular enough to exist.

There is nothing wrong with random encounters you filthy casuals

you fucking idiot
not liking random encounters doesn't mean you don't want any battles
if dragon quest can get rid of random encounters so can pokemon. but gamefreak has to play it safe like the incompetent fucks they are

Yeah, the one where you don't have a bunch of extra models crowding the screen, running into walls and doing other pointless stupid shit.

>proven to be a mistranslation because he's said the exact opposite literally every other time when speaking on the subject
feel free to provide a source, shitposter

I'd prefer the Pokemon license be given to a developer that isn't braindead
How can it be possible to have a franchise that prints money every time and still have so little in the way of meaningful innovation

Random encounters are fine, especially for Pokemon. Just get rid of the fucking 20 seconds of unskippable "A wild X appeared for the 400th time! Zoom in on it!" that happens every time.

Attached: kitty.gif (360x269, 983K)

Okay? The point is to make it not easy to do so. You shouldn't be able to grind in grass and caves to beat gyms because after a certain point Squirtle can't learn anything more about water boarding small mice and bats. There should be a greater focus on the trainer as the educating force. There should be a much greater focus on needing a team composition effective against the gym, support and stat boosting moves, a limit on the number of healing items you can use, etc.

You need to have your pokemon at a high enough level for that, no underleveled shit with repels.

>2019
>Defending a 30-year-old outdated game mechanic that was never fun

Nani

Would be better without them.

That wouldn't work, because you'd still need to step in wild grass to get to that pokemon, resetting everything that spawned, if you get hit by a random accounter.

>if you don't like random encounters you don't like gameplay
holy shit this thread is giving me a migraine, have you cocksuckers even played an RPG with overworld encounters that isn't let's go

>core mechanic that absolutely every single pokemon game has
Go play your shitty mobage trash spin off

t. underaged twat

Again, the thing is that even if you only battle normal trainers, there's a strong chance at least one of your mons will be past level 20 by the time you reach the third town. 20 is not a high level. You'll reach it just by playing completely normally due to the EXP system.

>either of those images being considered "Barren wasteland"
dumb faggot

Yeah, most would be better with random encounters. Only games where you can gain or lose initiative from them are decent.

Monolith Soft is Japanese, fool.

I was with you until you pointed this out, that just sounds tedious as hell. I know I'd be mad as fuck if a shiny got away because of some asshole Pokémon that cockblocked me.

Do you not know how to read? Battling would be the how to level up but levels themselves would be locked behind gym badges.

So you're taking freedom away from the player in this hypothetical system where you want to give more freedom to the player.

>The game should be changed to work differently
>Hurr but the game doesn't work that way

You might actually be mentally handicapped.

But surely there's better ways to do that that don't involve waiting on RNG to show you something new
What if the world were designed in such a way that certain Pokemon inhabit certain biomes, and you'd have to be like an explorer traveling through dense environments until you find a creek or a meadow where a bunch of new Pokemon were hanging out, and you could pull out a telescope and see them as the frolicked about? Even easier, what if there were overworld encounters but the Pokemon showed up as indistinct shapes, that didn't take on the right form until you got close enough or engaged them in battle? Also, I've always thought that the way you encounter new Pokemon was kind of lacking, as in the way they're presented was always sort of lacking in panache. Instead of getting anything special you just see a blob of colored pixels slide into frame and do their one roar animation, and then they just sit there while you battle
My point is that you can do basically anything and make it good, you'd just need to step of out the Pokemon comfort zone and actually think about the best way to do it

Who fucking cares about Freedom? Classic RPGs are about progression of skills and items before facing powerful bosses. The point is to make the traveling between towns along routes engaging and gyms challenging.

a world covered by endless water

>satisfying combat

it's literally the same combat as in every tales game with lack of variety in moves and spamming combos.

Poketards don't play anything other than pokemon, that's why they defend Game Freak's complete lack of giving a fuck.

I don't need to spoonfeed you, faggot. It's literally everywhere. Type for yourself, you lazy cuck.

This isnt actual battle revolution gameplay. What is this from?

You have to be functionally retarded to think random encounters were ever a good idea and not just a necessary limitation of less advanced tech.

>he forgot they removed day night cycle
stupid fucking zoomer

buy repel idiots

I wish, get on it fan game devs
Problem is unless you are remaking a gen game you arent selling 10m

Attached: 1536895372877.jpg (1221x655, 99K)

Kill your self you shit eating faggot. Pokemon hasn't been good for decades and random encounters is a fucking garbage mechanic.
If you want to be surprised then something like the persona encounters are much better

Why do you treat gaming journalists as the same person asking the same stupid question for clicks?

>complaining about random encounters when so much time is wasted on little things that add up during battle
You may not notice it now but it's fucking atrocious. Go watch a typical Gen 7 Pokemon battle critically; they're painfully slow for no real reason, from the unnecessary text, to the text that doesn't appear while the action is going on, to the health bar that slowly diminishes.
The battle system UI works exactly the same as it did in Gen 1; it has not evolved, at least fundamentally. People still put up with this flawed, archaic design, it's baffling.

Attached: 1541215308673.jpg (319x321, 11K)

LOL

Take your ADHD pills

>Pokemon is still playing catch-up with a low budget DS monster collecting RPG from a decade ago
The Switch can do so much more.

Attached: file.png (256x192, 118K)

They probably don't, but games journalism is a joke with very little that's actually worth reporting on so they have to resort to nitpicking bullshit nobody cares about in order to pretend like their job is relevant.

user you're so stupid.
MinMax is very prevalent in Pokemon.
So whether you farmed a strong area or a weak area is for different purposes. You could fill all a Pokemons EVs before lvl 50 so EXP never mattered unless you're trying to get to lvl 100.
Farming certain Pokemon is only ideal if you're interested in Shinies. There aren't any other merits to that because if you're farming EVs you'd be done in a half an hour or so with certain items.

Cuz Pokemon sucks

Make a lock on system; if you see a pokemon in the overworld you want to battle, tapping on it makes it so random encounters are turned off until you challenge the pokemon. Going out of range of the pokemon disables the lock-on.
Or you could use a repel.

They have an army of brainless fans who will literally defend functionless bloat .
They have no need to improve.

They are LITERALLY in the spin off section on the official site.

Random encounters aren't the only way of making game play work.

Man, they weren't lying when they say" You start acting like retards, real retards will join in."

How many more retarded comparisons of games, that don't even play the same, am I going to see?

Attached: Repetition.jpg (197x256, 8K)

>Damage control.
wat

Attached: confusednegro.gif (268x274, 1.03M)

Uh what?

>literally defending rehashing

The absolute STATE

>oh hey it's the first area of the game
>and there's a dragon god over that hill that's gonna rape your ass

Attached: agitated hombre.png (385x548, 214K)

DQ11 is also a much more boring game than any pokemon sans LGPE

Mashing the "A" button over and over again to kill wild Pokemon is not gameplay.

The only difference between random encounters and models in the world is the ability to avoid them. Juking wild encounters that you can actually see can be just as fun as fighting them if they program different behaviors for different kinds. You could even have rarer ones run away from being encountered leading you further into a dungeon after it. Just played Dragon Quest 8 and that game has some excellent philosophy for what I'd look for in a modern RPG like Pokemon.
Also, before you say it: Repel always was and is still a bandaid that requires no thought to use.

Attached: MetalCoward.png (230x217, 42K)

You cant avoid the zubats in core pokemon
Only in lets go.

Also repels are trash, tied the effectiveness of repels to steps, why not a timer based mechanic?

The dexnav in ORAS allowed to to seek whatever you wanted just fine, we don't need Pokemon Go overworld models to accomplish this

>Why does gamefreak love wasting my time
>He says, as he also posts more wasting of time

Imagine if hackers found a variable switch to turn on visible encounters. Like they already had it set up but decided to go with random encounters at the last second.

Just increase the number of steps

>that don't even play the same
Both are turn based JRPGs. Both are based around capturing monsters and adding them to your team (the capturing mechanic in the Joker games is even more similar to Pokemon than it was in past games), or breeding monsters to get better ones. Both have you facing off against other "trainers" with their own teams of monsters, in single player and in multiplayer.
Just because the battle mechanics and story progression aren't a carbon copy of Pokemon doesn't mean the the games aren't comparable. There are more similarities between DQM and Pokemon than most other games people like to compare Pokemon to.

Imagine if you made a post that made sense.

RNG isn't gameplay

I remember thinking this game was just them laying down the foundation for a bigger more fleshed out game.

Problem is the dex nav gets cut out every other gen
So what now?
When you run you deplete faster.
And the issue there is movement in a pokemon game.

Remember when they said they wanted to skip combat?

What do you find stimulating about pokemon? The random encounters which pose absolutely no threat at any point? The absolutely braindead trainer battles which can be easily won by just using a single mon every single fight? The existence of items which mean, even if you do manage to actually get yourself into a bad situation (however much the game tries to prohibit this) you can just go to the item bag and rectify the situation immediately?

How can a game be more boring than a game which plays out like a walking simulator but with added steps? Absolute STATE of Pokebabbies. No wonder they expect you to buy the same game 4 to 6 times.

It is in fire emblem though

neither is journalism

Play better fucking games than Pokebabies you fucking manchildren

If you are going to force random encounters give me a Bravely Default option to change the frequency.

That's why when CA was showing Total War Three Kingdoms to the press and youtubers back in january, they had to make battle extra easy and lords op. If they didn't do that some idiot wouldn't win even the first battle.

because they're required to play games to get paychecks. You'd hate it too if you were required to play games for a living, especially if you don't even like games in the first place.

What are you talking about? Gyms and Trainer encounters have always worked as a level check. If anything, having skippable wild encounters makes finishing the game harder.
This didn't change for Let's Go either and it has skippable encounters out the wazoo.

And? It's a shit mechanic and Fire Emblem isn't a good game

we've come so far with grass tech

Did the final game also have backgrounds/terrain that could be affected by attacks? Like how that groudon beam in the webm.

>Wasting bunch of money and time on jpegs
Pot meet kettle

>it was in a direct, that means its a mainline game!
And Smash is canon to every Nintendo franchise, too!

Getting a starter and raising it and then finding all the new pokemon of the gen? The story's usually not anything special but SM's was pretty good albeit with a bit too many cutscenes. The point of playing pokemon is to enjoy the pokemon, user. That's all it's ever been from 1996 to today.

>play SMT IV
>the worst part of the game is the overworld encounters
>play Tales Of
>the worst part of the game is the overworld encounters
What magical game is supposed to have good overworld enemies?

I’d love overworld Pokemon again but would despise the return of the mobile-tier grind from LGPE. “Catch 100 Rapidash” is such a bullshit grind and took away a lot of what made Pokemon fun when it came to catching and training.

>Play brainlet genre
>Worst part of the game is actually having to play it

Wew lad it's a mystery

Let's Go gave you EXP by the truckload by playing the mobile-tier minigame.

Chrono Trigger

how could they combine the two concepts? I liked seeing the overworld pokemon too

Except it isn't a problem in Strange Journey or classic Tales Of games.

It is if you have higher brain functions tbqh fampaitachi

Maybe because he said niggerfaggot wich one of the mods might be but wont want to admit it.

>>In other words, you'd have to build the world and the design from the ground up to accommodate
Are you saying it's impossible or something? JRPGs have been doing this for well over a decade.
It's not hard to figure out, games like Earthbound and Persona have rewards and punishments for sneaking up on enemies or getting ambushed. If you get something from behind maybe you get an extra turn, if something catches you by surprised, maybe you can't escape or they get an extra turn. Sun and Moon had on demand double battles so it's not like this is a groundbreaking feat.

instead of models, just have vague black blobs in the grass that run toward you if they see you

Is it really too hard to imagine having overworld Pokemon with the classic battle system? Literally just take LGPE's overworld thing and mix it with an older game's battle system.

gameplay prevents journalists from finishing games quickly, hence no early bird click bait paychecks.

Huh. If that's the case, then it sounds like the mods shouldn't be such niggerfaggots.

>this minor time waste is so horrible
>video games aren't me wasting time at all mom!

This is actually so fucking pathetic. The depths pokebabbies will sink to to defend their trash is always depressingly durprising.
>Y-YOU WERE WASTING THAT TIME ANYWAYS

That's bullshit. Avoiding random encounters for Pokemon you have no interest in or when you want to get through an area quickly is a very good reason.

providing players a method for purposely avoiding pokemon would make Repel completely redundant

Attached: 1524739962099.png (120x188, 36K)

Who cares? The Let's Go method is infinitely better than repels. Replace them.

so there's already a way to do it, it just sounds like people don't wanna do it

You literally can't be underleveled in the newer games tho

All the Pokemon already have walking animations. That’s all they need.

>dexnav when we only have 1 screen
That would be tedious as hell

The biggest and most importtant difference is that you can actually directly target the stuff you want to battle or catch

>Forced to buy item for Pokemon randomly appearing, all or nothing
vs.
>Seamlessly seeing if an encounter is something you want in the overworld and choosing to battle or not accordingly
You're right. Repels sound so much better. Retard.

Yes it would. Are you retarded? No one likes using Repel because it blocks off potentially good catches. A more reasonable use would be that Pokemons can chase you down and you can either narrowly avoid them by running or use something like repel to push them away. Pokémon could also use Ambush mechanics this way and add additional layers of strategy to catching Pokemons that didn't exist before.