Attached: doublejump.png (250x250, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KXhaEKcSys8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Aerial dash

Sliding

>I hate having to commit to my jumps!

Wall running

literally any other method of increasing jump height, such as double-tapping jump, having a climb option when barely reaching a ledge, crouching in the air, rocket jumping, literally anything. Double jump is awful because it creates more horizontal jump than vertical. in games with double jump you always jump over vast chasms but in a slow, boring way. Doom 2016 is the best example, before that Titanfall. terrible mechanic.

The mechanic of getting hot, greasy, salty fries.

Attached: Completed jump.png (2000x1751, 74K)

triplejump

SEETHING

WOOOOAH LET'S NOT GET CRAZY HERE

Attached: 1479048639401.gif (720x404, 3.65M)

Burger King's fries are way better IMO

Lock-on.

Gliding!

/thread

Attached: steamworkshop_webupload_previewfile_201707348_preview.jpg (900x791, 67K)

Wall running is gimmicky and usually doesn't work well.

Double jump is definitely more versatile than air dash.

Don't ask questions you don't want answered

rocket jumping, wall running, any kind of physics/momentum based movement and gliding

It depends on how fresh they are. Out of the fryer, yes. Sitting around for half an hour, no.

double dash

plenty of games make you use double jump to get across large gaps, yes, but it's also not at all uncommon to make players use double jump to climb up to high areas or get enough vertical height to avoid an enemy's attacks. double jump works well as a mechanic because of it allows for a lot of flexibility in player movement and what obstacles the game can throw at the player, while being an extremely simple mechanic for humans and birds to understand and utilize.

Attached: video game journalist vs some bird.webm (640x360, 2.32M)

post 1 (one) game that do wall running right

>Sitting around for half an hour
what? who takes half an hour to eat fast food , much less fries.

Quadruple jump
Rogue Legacy was broken so hard if you did that.

the triple jump

>double jump
It's not even a good mechanic in the first place

prototype and sonic heroes

dash jump off walls

Attached: Thumbs up patchy.jpg (320x320, 31K)

user means if the fries you got are from a fresh batch or if they were from a batch made half an hour ago.

Web swinging

but you can't have the vertical part without the horizontal part unless you force the timing of the second jump so early that it's effectively just a double tap high jump, not a "double jump". my idea of a double jump is when you can press at the apex or even later, and this definitely results in extreme long jumps and thus shit level design.

Extra Life

Don't forget that double jumping in 3D games is also a great way to correct your trajectory.

>mom gets fast food and doesn't tell you

air control is a separate concept. you can have double jump without any air control.

is a double jump better than just one large jump that cover the same distance?

ah
that's why fast food joints are the only ones that benefit from rush hour in terms of quality
fat chance, the closest one to me is 50km in every direction

i said one, you loose

yes, because it give you the sense of control

Prince of Persia.

a half jump

I'm not even talking about air control. Just being able to change your initial direction at the start of a jump is huge.
I can't think of any game where your air jump is restricted to your initial trajectory/momentum.

The only time I ever saw that happen was Alice Madness Returns. Do you have any other examples?

Attached: AliceMadnessReturns.jpg (220x273, 26K)

shit

Attached: 1547601245217.jpg (327x294, 27K)

>loose
Fuck off, retard.

see

What kind of mechanic is that?

Skiing

Attached: 1377A102-F37B-443D-AAD6-8B3E2959357F.jpg (205x246, 12K)

forgive me for my americano

>50 km from the nearest fast food joint
do you live in antarctica?

Yes, since it requires fewer A presses

close enough with how cold its here, i live in a rural part of my country.

for a 2d game, maybe none
for 3d, strafe jumping and air strafing.

Did someone just start counting a presses

Attached: 4CAE50E4-D33B-425B-AE79-DC575F12BBEA.png (300x300, 48K)

Oh shit i used the tiny picture

a doublejump is more versatile; you can fall down a pit and then do the second jump right before you reach the end to land safely. a good game that explores this, even if for only a short bit in the beginning, is Wings of Vi.

depends on the game, i suppose. if platforming is the focus of the game, a long jump might be better since you it reduces the amount of control the player has mid-jump, forcing them to be more careful with their jumps. if platforming isn't really the focus, however, double jumps might be better since it lets the player keep more of their attention on the other aspects of the game, as the player can easily course-correct mid-jump if they need to. double jumps also might be better if you want the game to feel more like a fast-paced action game, since it avoids having this longer window of time without any button presses.

Float. Free flying. Infinite jump.

Just for one example, but Super Ghouls and Ghost is what I consider the best examples of double jumps done right. Jumps had a set height and distance, and the double jump just let you tack on a fresh jump at any point before you land. So you could jump twice as high or twice as far, but also do other tricks like jump around ledges to reach spots a single jump couldn't reach, or for last second corrections after making a blind leap. It fundamentally changed how the game's rigid jump system worked in a way that just jumping higher and farther wouldn't have accomplished.

ayy

Attached: 1448502782898.jpg (700x894, 319K)

Titanfall 2.

based
BK fries are the best, they're the only fries I prefer over making them myself at home

Fuck off with your psy-op McShill

Mirrors Edge games

Enemy Step.
Strafe-jumping to go 100 Sonics is also as useful as it is fun.

>tfw you will never jump across the map with the flag yelling “now this is pathfinding”
>tfw entire genre died bc people couldn’t learn to not hold w

Attached: 306708DD-4D9A-48D4-BEF1-28290A300AA3.jpg (400x240, 27K)

>American level
>Burger music

rocket jump with zero self-inflicted damage

Dustforce which also had ceiling running done right.

Cappy dive jump

youtube.com/watch?v=KXhaEKcSys8
jiggle physics

Top tier
>in-universe justification for double jump
Mid tier
>character front flips to double jump
Bottom tier
>character inexplicably jumps in mid-air

Bad, rocket jumping should have a downside. You should need to trade something for mobility.

no it doesn't - go play transmissions 120 mod on steam and see for yourself how fun can it be to constantly jump across the map, whilst blasting away your enemies.

>Mid tier
>>character front flips to double jump
Character jumps then starts flipping as you do the double jump is the coolest shit ever. How the fuck can you call that mid tier?
>Top tier
>>in-universe justification for double jump
I'm going to need some examples, usually it's just going to be some boring jetback allowing a second jump.

you don't trade anything in games with double jump, wall running, climbing, sprinting etc. rocket jumping should cost in Quake multiplayer because the game has evolved around this and you would ruin the meta if you made every mode like Clan Arena. but in general? in other games? why should rocket jumping be the one movement mechanic that costs you life points while all the others are free?

>You should need to trade something for mobility.
you are? you have no cover while flying in the air, more than any other movement.

Taunt button

Why cant we double jump in real life

A rocket dash you have to charge

>requires investment
>grants a large mobility boost
>double-edged, can get you into trouble if you use it willy-nilly

Attached: sparkster-snes-TEST.jpg (700x490, 116K)

I did it once but my phone was dead so I couldn't record it.

Bunnyhop and strafejumping.

Attached: 1538699746276.jpg (350x427, 48K)

Unsurper has free flight as a upgrade.
And as Aria of Castlevania style game, you get a logical progression before gaining free flight.
Still slower than Naruto teleporting daggering across the map

Attached: Unsurper_the_unsurper.jpg (1920x1080, 163K)