What does Yea Forums think of the “memory card” era?

Neo Geo started it, PlayStation popularised it, Sega Saturn/Dreamcast and later Gamecube implemented it, and Xbox killed it. Was it practical or a meme?

Attached: A3378552-0B95-425A-B9F6-474E83F883EA.jpg (4032x3024, 1.13M)

Is this a real question?

Remember what your Iphone 1 was like?

Everyone hated that. Parents would get games for their children without memory packs and they wouldn't be able to save and it was terrible all around. No one will ever miss it.

God I miss that youtube icon

It was a good solution for the switch to optical discs without the console having an internal hard drive but obviously as time went on the console hard drive naturally replaced the need for it.

I remember having a green one for ps1 that had a little switch on it so it acted as like 4 memory cards I believe. I bought it when I was buying legend of dragoon so I could have plenty of save space

The only saving grace I can think of is it was seperate from the console so you could have a compeletely trashed console but if yoy had the card and game, you were fine

You are batshit insane. There's no way you're asking this seriously. What's better, an 8 MB card or a 1 TB harddrive? Fuck off.

>121 pages out of the controller pak's 123
is there a bigger memory card hog than this game?

Attached: 6357_us-Snowboard-Kids.jpg (1338x937, 335K)

I’m not sure about the gamecube or Dreamcast but it baffles me Sony didn’t include one when you bought the system. It really was just a glorified DVD player at the start.

Attached: 955D3E7D-2AB3-4D43-A14D-B9079B550C2C.jpg (572x536, 20K)

75% proprietary money making shit, 25% so you can bring saves to your friends house

>The only saving grace

what do you think the alternative was just curious

>Look through old saves on PS2 memory card
>Find one for the first Timesplitters
>November 2, 2000

Attached: 1542825028780.jpg (233x198, 7K)

A double-edged sword in the long run.
>tiny as fuck capacity meaning you HAD to buy multiples
>3rd party cards were prone to corruption
>some games had godawful memory management and would take up the entire card just for one save
>pricey as fuck for a tiny amount of memory
>proprietary formats
>made as an excuse to omit internal storage memory and pass on the expenses to you the consumer :)

Thank fuck we're done with them.

Attached: 1520965584961.jpg (295x375, 33K)

I only miss the moving save icons ala ps2. Now it's just a static picture if the game

I think if the Dreamcast were popular it would’ve been the worst offender. It had literally rhe same amount of storage as a PS1 memory card (128 fucking kilobytes) cost 3000 yen each and was basically a gimped PDA

Attached: 85F2A840-1E73-4DFC-8B08-093143C99C61.jpg (1112x824, 120K)

It was horrible. Memory cards filled up quickly, constantly became corrupted, and would have random saves go missing due to misprinted data capacities.

That's a nice memory card you've got there, bro.
Sure hope nothing happens to it.

Attached: F-Zero_GX_box_artwork.png (250x355, 186K)

Having a memory card was the worst invention in the history of gaming. There was literally no purpose in having memory cards. When did anyone ever pull out their memory card? Sure, maybe there were moments you wanted to go to a friends house and continue gaming but it wasn't even that common or even worth doing. Like 90% of the time it's always in your console. It's not going anywhere whatsoever. I don't understand why it was not built-in like storage. I really fucking hated memory cards it was the worst in my gaming childhood.

Attached: 1533241838979.jpg (750x898, 208K)

If yoy bought the official Sony ones, they worked flawlessly since Magicgate was basically designed to die with anything higher than 16 mbs. Sony’s pretty evil with their proprietary storage

Is this an actual thing? I remember making save data for this game and the next thing I know my entire card was wiped.

>look through old saves
>tekken tag tournament and RRV
>October 26 2000

Attached: BBPnEkzl.jpg (640x412, 22K)

PSO storing character data on the memory card is what ruined all the console versions. People hacking their save data and going online with it to ruin the economy or troll other players.

whoa weird

i can tell the picture is from today, but the woman is from 1995

I have a ps2 official memory card that has a block of corrupted data on it that I can't do anything with.. Is it doomed? I blame Soul Calibur 3

A lot of styles from the 80's and 90's are getting mixed in a lot of fashion today.

>open up saves
>battle arena toshinden
>September 9 1995

Attached: 1549419410636.png (1272x659, 1.44M)

I remember Jak X ate my saves twice because it got hung up in an autosave loop
at least corrupted saves don't ruin an entire hard drive now

Attached: Jak.jpg (1024x1024, 230K)

>some games had godawful memory management and would take up the entire card just for one save
I hated this. Even during the PS2 era there were games like GT4 that would take up almost half the memory card for a single save file.

pretty sure it says right on the back of the box how much memory is needed

Attached: GT4.jpg (756x1068, 188K)

glad they're gone but i miss the little memory card models that represented each game

Just about any port of a PC game to the Playstation 1 or 2 devoured Memory Cards. The ports were generally pretty sloppy and came from a system where you could have tons of GB in reserve so save files would often track everything.

I may be exaggerating a bit when I say half a memory card, but a "minimum 2000kB" is still higher by several factors compared to the save file size for most other PS2 games. GT3's back cover for instance says a minimum of 256kB.

>where you could have tons of GB in reserve
>PS1 era
the average PC in 1995 was rocking 128 MB hard drives man

hell of a lot more than 128kb

I know it's a large save comparatively
just saying the games did warn you on the box

and a hell of a lot less than tons of GB

>Everyone hated that
Untrue. The point you make is valid, but I also believe that it is a small issue by and far.
I remember good times with friends where we all have the same game, but want to play with different saves.
While not as popular a game, DIgimon World 4 was magnificent in that regard, where when my friends would come over to visit, we could still play using our own saves.
It was practical in its application during the early 2000's, but when it was rendered a moot peripheral, it just faded out of existence.

nigga i had a 420mb hard drive in 1995 niggaaaaaa. gtfo that 128mb shit

then in 1996 i had like a 1.2gb

>get xbox
>thought the storage was infinite because it showed something like 80000000 bits
good times

There were models breaking the 1 GB barrier in 1995 and by '96 and '97 there were several.

Are you retarded or something? What do you mean was it practical, is saving your game practical?

>>some games had godawful memory management and would take up the entire card just for one save
fucking Animal Crossing. at least they knew it was horseshit and provided a memory card with the game.

I remember having Civilization for PS1 and getting one of these multi memory cards just to have more than 1 save slot.

and the average was still much lower than a gig

Sure hope nothing happens to it.
wait, WHAT!?

Attached: 1548552538340.png (472x467, 540K)

Holy shit.
I just bought this and put it on the same card as everything else.
Is that bad?

It was a weird stop-gap between cartdrige-based games with saves stored on the cartridge and modern consoles with an internal HDD for save data. It was pretty practical in the mid-90s, since console manufacturers didn't want to increase the manufacturing cost and physical size of their consoles, but as hard drives got cheaper and bigger, they just put them inside the console and called it a day. I don't really miss them, since having the internal HDD is more convenient. Not to mention that PS1 memory cards would fill up really quickly if you had a lot of games.

It was nice being able to take your card to a friend's house and they could just copy the data too if you wanted to share things.
Was bullshit having to buy a ton of 1mb memory cards before the bigger ones came out though.

>Make save data
That wasn't so bad.
>Try and make replay data and custom vehicle data
>My memory card's fw

Attached: wowmom.jpg (720x817, 60K)

WHAT IS THE ISSUE
I NEED TO KNOW BEFORE I FUCK UP ALL MY SAVES ON MY 2000 BLOCK CARD

It was a bad system but everyone put up with it because games got REALLY CHEAP compared to the SNES era where cartridges were expensive as hell, PS1 games came down to $50 while cartridges were around $80 and up to some selling for $100 so while the games didn't have a way to save up data we put up with it because games became cheaper by using CD's and we didn't expect the systems to save that data on them.

It is an old dated system that got completely irrelevant but in its time was an acceptable expense to buy 1 or 2 or 3 memory cards for your saves.

No because I had a cheap flip phone and a PSP which combined cost less and had more functionality than an iphone

>"Format PS2 Memory Card?" with the red background and failure ambiance
fucking death those fucking 3rd party cards
lost like 8 perfect game saves and my sister lost her FFXII save she put like 60 hours into
she stopped playing games after that

Attached: 1439151553015.jpg (500x365, 57K)

Ah okay, so you were that autist who carried around an outdated phone and a video game console.

If you've got a 2000 block card you'll be fine. But if you only had the standard 59 block memory card like me back in the day, then you're fucked.

Attached: 500.png (1620x208, 20K)

Reminds me of Jak II's save. Holy shit that piece of shit took like half of the space by itself.

I occasionally 100% some games on several memory cards, Man did i wish it was still being used, Copying save files from games was neccesary because i used to suck in them! Nowadays i dont need cheats or copy a save because everything is handholding.

?????
Flip phones werent remotely outdated in 2007, zoomer, smart phones were still too pricey for anyone below upper middle class

I just remember thinking 1 'block' of xbox memory must be like 500mb because mine always said like 5000 blocks available for its entire life even after getting all the halo 2 map packs, having 6 million fable save files, and a few xbox live arcade games. Did the xbox by default not show more than 5000 blocks and some models had larger hard drives or what was the deal with that because I remember my cousin and my friend who had xboxes both never went under 5000 blocks either

remember when xbox live arcade was a disc you had to put in the console? for some reason at the time I thought being able to download games directly to a console was the coolest shit even though downloading digital games on pc was a very common thing by that time and I would download every free game on gamespy.Holy shit remember Flyff, that was good shit
I miss those days

also the fact that disc based consoles (pre-xbox) didn't come with memory cards when you bought them is proof that vidya has always been a turbo jew industry

>Socom multiplayer took 3MB out of 8
>.hack took almost 10% of the memory card space per file
>champions of norrath and its sequel would get astronomically large if you had more than 1 character
nah fuck memory cards

Attached: 1536731743702.jpg (750x842, 73K)

>he’s a poorfag
>he thinks it was ever remotely acceptable to carry around a game console

Says the zoomer who wasn't even born when the PSP released lmao

It was annoying, but to an EXTENT was understandable.
Sony dragged it on for too long, since they kept doing it on the PSP and then the PS Vita.

Should have had a small on board memory card as well.

>champions of norrath
MY MAN

>if I keep calling him a zoomer I can deflect from the fact that i’m an autist who carries handhelds!
Lmao cope

>Was it practical or a meme?

???
This question is retarded. Memory cards were literally the only way to save a game. There was no other option.
Might as well ask if horses were "practical or a meme". Of course they were practical, they were the only fucking way to move around when they were in use. You wouldn't use them now but there was literally no other option.

>>he thinks it was ever remotely acceptable to carry around a game console

Not only it was acceptable, it would make you the coolest kid in the school by far. People would suck your dick to just get to LOOK while you played.

fuck off Quentin

Not everyone got blown by their SPED classmates to get a look at their children’s toy.
Who?

Attached: 383044A7-026D-4A41-942D-ED9E4DB72BA9.png (618x750, 465K)

newfag