Why in the world did the N64 not just have a controller like this?

Why in the world did the N64 not just have a controller like this?

Attached: Screenshot_20190303-014253~2.png (1131x922, 272K)

Because the n64 came out before the Xbox and ps2 revolutionized controller design and before analog sticks were widely accepted

Nintendo had no idea how to do 3d games aside from having analog stick movement and just couldn't get over the idea of only being able to use either a dpad or thumbstick and being able to access both.

Then Sony made the dualshock and nintendo and everybody else ever since has followed that form factor and feature set because it made sense and worked.

The dualshock on ps1 came out years before those.

Controller design wasn't standardized yet, the N64 controller is perfectly logical if you understand how it works. The left handle is for 2D games and the middle for 3D.

Because if 3D was a failure they could stick to 2D games.

souless

sega was the one that wanted to stick to 2d even after the writing was on the wall that 3d was the future.

Because it made more sense to have it be comfortable to use the dpad or control stick, they didn't anticipate people losing their shits over it (LMAO 3 HAND CONTROLLER) or the use of both sticks and dpad at the same time.
More comfortable than the PS1 controller desu

True but Nintendo designed the N64 controller with a 2D handle just in case the venture into 3D turned out to be a bust.

Strange. When it comes to arguing over controllers one of the deciding factors in preference is always which out of the D-Pad and the sticks do people think should be the primary input, yet everybody shits on the N64 controller despite posing the only solution the the never ending debate by having both input methods being primary.

Attached: 1521848562051.png (544x638, 619K)

>Because it made more sense to have it be comfortable to use the dpad or control stick
Yet every design afterwards allowed it to be comfortable to use both without separating them.

>yet everybody shits on the N64 controller despite posing the only solution the the never ending debate by having both input methods being primary.
The debate ended almost immediately when it was apparent that 3d games would be the bulk of games produced from that point on.

If it did, you wouldn't remember it.

Holding one hand in the middle and another on the right is awkward

This controller sucks.

N64 sticks and games were designed with resistance in mind, not to be smooth like modern controllers.

It always made me laugh when I'd see people use the left handle and struggle to reach the control stick.

This has never happened outside of Reddit.

These shit threads are pure zoomer-bait. No one over the age of 20 has any "confusion" about the fucking N64 controller.

You'd think so, but you still have people swearing blind that the DualShock style is superior to Xbox.
No it isn't.

I've never seen a poster try so hard to fit in

Just about nobody argues that because they think 2d games are still the primary deal.

n64 controller is garbage, please stop trying to defend that terrible design. they got it right with the gamecube and pro controller, so don't think i'm some kind of anti-nintendo drone.

also, the dreamcast controller wouldn't be so bad if not for the cable placement. and the sega saturn pad is still the best 2D controller from those days.

Attached: sega+saturn+joypad.jpg (500x399, 60K)

I agree with your opinion and reasoning, but you're totally wrong about if you think people don't like the DS style better.

Nothing like that had been released when they were designing the n64 controller

The dualshock was basically a SNES controller slightly modified. I mean yeah, they were the ones that came up with the dual sticks and extra shoulder buttons; but the diamond formation of the buttons on the right side, the shoulder buttons, and placement of d-pad on the left was Nintendo's idea.

Attached: xsnes-header.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.iLc6n7x5ko.jpg.png (650x300, 185K)

small hands work better on the original.

The middle stick of the N64 controller is a wii-mote

Isn't the Saturn controller kind of bad for 3D games though? There's no joystick, just the pad.

>but you're totally wrong about if you think people don't like the DS style better.
I didn't even remotely say that.

Have the argument people are writing, not the one you imagine.

unironically this. there still wasn't any real standard for controllers during this era.With hindsight it seems blatantly obvious what every controller should look like but everyone (especially nintendo) was just trying shit and hoping it stuck back then.

Attached: 1535845428528.png (500x500, 135K)

They took that, added two more shoulders, handles, and two sticks, in a form factor that is still maintained and modern controllers are still built off today.

The base was built off the snes pad, but the dualshock is undeniably the father of modern controllers.

I think the N64 controller was pretty cool. I feel like it was mainly a gimmick design, and adding the analog stick in the middle was a compromise because you could still use the DPAD if you need to in a classic position.

Correct.
The Dual Analog Controller was first displayed under glass at the PlayStation Expo 96-97, which was held from November 1 to November 4, 1996.

The newly renamed Nintendo 64 console was fully unveiled to the public in playable form on November 24, 1995, at Nintendo's 7th Annual Shoshinkai trade show.

Reminder that the Dual Analog was also literally just two sticks smashed into the bottom of the original controller.

Obligatory double reminder that nobody even knew how to properly integrate double analog controls until fuckin' years after, unless you count retarded control mapping as "properly integrated"

There is a saturn pad with a stick. It was put out for games like nights.

>Xbox
>let's take the Dreamcast controller, add another stick, and make it big enough for ogres to use

>Reminder that the Dual Analog was also literally just two sticks smashed into the bottom of the original controller.
Reminder that it's still the method that worked and everybody rushed to copy.

>Obligatory double reminder that nobody even knew how to properly integrate double analog controls until fuckin' years after

That just speaks more to its credit as a solid and forward thinking design.

Sure, it wasn't perfect and they needed to change it definitely.
But it made more sense at the time, the point I'm making is that people pretend the controller was this insane misstep that made no sense, but it made perfect sense. It was a hybrid SNES controller/ flightstick. The fatal flaw was the c buttons in lieu of a stick, but people that hate the controller focus on the three handles more.
Its definitely more comfortable than the ps1 dualshock controller though, even though it was more intuitive than the N64, the N64 controller still feels nice to hold.

>The debate ended almost immediately
Shut the fuck up.

>The base was built off the snes pad
Yes, so I would say the SNES controller deserves that title of father of modern controllers. The diamond formation and shoulder buttons started with the SNES. Sony added two more, but the fact remains the design of the shoulder buttons started with SNES, and the diamond formation is an incredibly efficient one that is still used to this day.

I'm not saying Sony didn't revolutionize controllers with the addition of shoulder buttons or the two sticks, but give credit where credit is due. Have a little respect for a design that set the foundation for it all.

You're brutally misinterpreting that out of context like a fucking loon.

Back then people weren't sure if 3d would even work out, it makes sense to include a special position for the d-pad just in case 3d turned out to be shit. One of the fifth gen consoles wasn't even capable of rendering 3d.

>Yes, so I would say the SNES controller deserves that title of father of modern controllers.
It literally doesn't. At that point you may as well go back to the nes pad.

The dualshock was the point where people really stopped changing things and just copies what was there.

The only reason to make that argument, and I've ever seen people make it, is oversensitive fanboyism.

Every modern controller is a variation of the dualshock.

Almost every one after it was designed off of it. Even the gamecube controller.

Those controllers have far more in common to the dualshock than the snes controller. The snes controller was the pinaccle of pre 3d gaming, but the dualshock design form was straight up the standard for 3d gaming and still is. That's why it gets that title.

That design is pretty damn horrible, if my left thumb is resting on the stick then my right is ending up dead center of the c buttons.
Hell even today's controller design is fucked, we really have no need for both a left stick and d-pad plus in some cases gyro works well enough to replace the right stick.

i don't know, but i wish it did. third parties with good designs like that one are never able to perfectly replicate the feel of genuine hardware, that's sad. the n64 controller is a piece of shit.

If SNES doesn't get credit for the position of the dpad and the diamond button positioning people still use today, then PS1 didn't innovate with dual sticks.
Xbox is the design everyone copied, no other controller has the setup like Sony, closest is Wii U but barely

>everyone rushed to copy
...who rushed to copy it, user?
Certainly not Sega, who's DC pad retained single analog and was more or less just a Saturn Pad++
Definitely not Nintendo, who stuck with their same design throughout the system's lifespan and didn't release anything resembling the DS's layout until over a half decade had passed; not the xbox, which was a permutation of the gamecube controller.

You wanna go full retard, not even sony was willing to copy it for the PSP

>It literally doesn't. At that point you may as well go back to the nes pad.
You're not making any sense here. The NES controller didn't have a diamond formation or shoulder buttons.
>The dualshock was the point where people really stopped changing things and just copies what was there.
What are you talking about? Sega and Nintendo were still making changes after dualshock was created. The only one that didn't really change anything was Sony, as every one of their controllers after Dualshock 1 was exactly the same.
>The only reason to make that argument, and I've ever seen people make it, is oversensitive fanboyism.
I wouldn't say so. If a design borrows basically every aspect of the SNES controller and adds onto it, I don't think it's fanboyism it consider the fact that Nintendo was the birth of this design, while Sony was the one that improved on it. It's just a simple observation. The reality of things.

>Those controllers have far more in common to the dualshock than the snes controller.
When you consider the fact that every controller, like SNES, has shoulder buttons, diamond formation, and same position of d-pad, then it should be logical to say that there is in fact a lot in common with that controller.

>Xbox is the design everyone copied,
this is true but good luck getting Yea Forums to admit it

Double digit IQ post

Fucking zoomers.
>why didn't Nintendo just go to the future and find out what was the best controller design before innovating the concept of analog controllers??

Yes, your post certainly is. Surprised you didn't use a wojak.

>SNES controller had design features the dualshock adopted, so it's the father of modern 3d focused gaming controllers!
>No, you can't then credit the NES the same way!

The snes controller is built off the foundation of the nes controller every bit the ps1 controller was off the foundation of the snes controller.

Your argument is a joke.

>Sega and Nintendo were still making changes after dualshock was created

After the dualshock, nintendo made a dualshock clone that dropped one shoulder button and swapped the placement of the dpad and analog stick.

Xbox made a dualshock clone and did the same swap.

You have to practically bury your head in the sand to ignore the things you are ignoring just to make these arguments.

You're being obtuse. You know they have more features in common with the dualshock. Every feature of the dualshock is present in a modern controller. Many of those features are not present on an snes controller.

Feature for feature, the dualshock covers modern controllers completely.

ITT butthurt fanboys upset that sony did something right 22 years ago.

It happens every time people say the dualshock was the inspiration for newer controllers. Literally every time. They always try to pretend none of it counts one bit.

>PS3 perfects game controllers
>PS4 decides to fuck it up
Why

>dropped one shoulder button
nigga, it KEPT the Z button. It moved it, yeah, but the button was kept.

Attached: nigga.png (488x488, 196K)

dropped one shoulder button vs the dualshock design.

It was the 90s.
Also this.

you mean besides the fact that they were treading new ground and didn't have a standard they could use as a base?

The n64 controller isn't very good (personally I vastly prefer the sega saturn's 3D pad for stuff of that era) but I can't really begrudge it for not knowing what works and what doesn't.

Do you have mental problems? Do you know how to read? Tell me right now if you know how to read.
>After the dualshock, nintendo made a dualshock clone that dropped one shoulder button and swapped the placement of the dpad and analog stick.
How can people be this fucking retarded? I can't even fucking fathom this shit sometimes. Like, did you even consider reading the post before responding? What is wrong with you?

I can't get over this. Like, you created that fucking image instead of literally just fucking reading the words that were like three words to the left of the thing you were trying to respond to? This isn't your normal average everyday Yea Forums retardation, you have to genuinely have mental deficiencies.

>The snes controller is built off the foundation of the nes controller every bit the ps1 controller was off the foundation of the snes controller. Your argument is a joke.
You're essentially strengthening my argument. the PS1 controller built off the foundation of the SNES controller. It's clearly not a joke because you're agreeing with me on this.
>After the dualshock, nintendo made a dualshock clone that dropped one shoulder button and swapped the placement of the dpad and analog stick.
Which controller are you talking about? Because it's certainly not the N64 controller. There is no diamond formation, the shoulder buttons on SNES weren't double to begin, so it can be argued they used that as their template. Your argument is essentially speculation at best, whereas there's undeniable proof that dualshock was basically the SNES controller repurposed because PS1 was basically going to be the Nintendo PlayStation before the deal they made fell through. It wasn't a coincidence that the dualshock shared much of what the SNES controller possesses. By the way, you still have yet to show what controller Sega made that was an alleged clone. It certainly wasn't the Sega Saturn controller, and it definitely wasn't the Dreamcast one. And Xbox sure as fuck isn't a clone, it's far bulkier, has two extra buttons on the side, one of the sticks is in a weird ass position, and I see no shoulder buttons here. Xbox shares next to nothing in common with either dualshock or SNES. Diamond formation is basically the only thing. Everything else is out of place.

>You're essentially strengthening my argument
He's pointing out that your argument is shallow because it can be used to jump way back to designs that are barely reminiscent to modern designs to claim them as the true progenitor.

Anyone can follow your logic as far back as they want to take it, when the original point they ever made was that the dualshock was the first controller to do and have everything a modern controller needed and was good enough that people still copy its design.

>Which controller are you talking about? Because it's certainly not the N64 controller.
Gee, what nintendo controller came out first after the dualshock, there's literally so many to choose from...

>Which controller are you talking about? Because it's certainly not the N64 controller.
The DualShock didn't come before the N64 controller you dumbass.

>Guy says dualshock had four shoulders, two sticks, handles, four face, dpad etc, that were all the standards of modern controllers
>BUT THE DIAMOND FORMATION MEANS THAT THE SNES WAS THE FIRST!
>IF I IGNORE EVERYTHING BUT THE PARTS THAT I AGREE WITH, NINTENDO STILL WINS!

Attached: You right now.png (479x485, 123K)

The 5th gen was experimental. We wouldn't have what we have today if it wasn't for these attempts.

Diamond formation and shoulder buttons. Adding a second set doesn't minimize the impact they had on the future of all controllers.

>Ignore everything else a dualshock added, which all factored in heavily to modern designs
Good job doing exactly what they made fun of you for doing.

>Why didn't they just base their controller off of another one that didn't exist yet

original controller is fine if you're not a brainlet

Attached: eo9t4vU.png (1432x515, 594K)

>He's pointing out that your argument is shallow because it can be used to jump way back to designs that are barely reminiscent to modern designs to claim them as the true progenitor.
That would be good if it wasn't for the fact that the original design was basically the same thing as a SNES controller, with hands attached to it. Not to mention the fact that it was made after the deal for the Nintendo PlayStation fell through. It was incredibly similar. Hell the only reason they didn't made the d-pad exactly the same was due to a patent Nintendo had. They didn't actually want to make this shitty d-pad, they literally had no choice.

Attached: 1024px-PSX-Original-Controller.png (1024x891, 472K)

Because they were figuring things out, you dumb shit. You can't judge things in hindsight like that, you're not a 5 year old.

Just fuck off already. I bet you're really fun at parties.

>YEAH WE GOT HIM. EPIC WIN
Congratulations

Only game I know that used it was Kirby, I'm sure there are others. Seems like PS1 had more 2D games at the end of the day

Attached: n642.png (1920x1080, 150K)

>That would be good if it wasn't for the fact that the original design was basically the same thing as a SNES controller,
You don't understand that the dualshock and the base ps1 controller were different products.

This makes a lot of sense.

Just like you didn't know when it came out relative to the 64 controller.

>no black and white buttan
Nigga you done fucked up

Everyone knows that you loon. The point is the N64 controller is not even close to the dualshock's design.

Doom64 didn't use the middle control scheme though.

6 face button controllers need to come back.

Attached: 1534768949891.png (1024x704, 620K)

>Points out that your argument could be carried to extremes because the logic is shaky and requires things to be ignored without reason.
>Just responds with the same argument, this time trying to ignore even more things that work against their logic.

K. I'm smart enough to know when someone wants to just run in a circle.

I know about all of it. Unlike you I was actually alive at the time and fully aware. You late '90s zoomers were barely conscious.

>The point is the N64 controller is not even close to the dualshock's design.

How many times do people have to tell you they weren't talking about the n64, and that you didn't even try to comprehend what you were reading in that post?

This is at least the third time.

Even the other guy who ran and made an image for no reason knew they weren't talking about the n64 controller.

What's funny is some games have modern dual analog controls buried in the options menu.

By then people had come up with the control scheme we use now but we didn't settle on it as the standard until later.

They weren't talking about the N64's controller compared to the DualShock you raging idiot. The DualShock is not the default PS1 controller. I will repeat.
THE DUALSHOCK IS NOT THE FUCKING DEFAULT PS1 CONTROLLER. THE DUALSHOCK IS THE ONE THAT HAS THE ANALOG STICKS ON IT AND HAS BUILT IN RUMBLE.
Fucking christ.

Attached: ps1.jpg (1280x720, 244K)

THEN WHAT CONTROLLER ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT YOU FUCKING RETARD? SAY IT, FUCKING SAY IT. POST A PICTURE. STOP BEING CRYPTIC.

Fucking asshole. Why are you avoiding mentioning the specific controller? Just stop saying "I wasn't talking about that one, I was talking about something that I won't even mention".

THEN WHAT CONTROLLER WERE THEY TALKING ABOUT YOU FUCKING RETARDED MONGOLOID? STOP BEATING AROUND THE BUSH AND SAY IT, WHICH NINTENDO CONTROLLER COPIED THE DUALSHOCK?

Fuck it's like I'm talking to a bunch of Goddamn brick walls. I'm screaming into the void here and no one is fucking responding back. You're driving me crazy here. Mention the name of this fucking controller now.

What in the fuck is wrong with your brain? What's the first Nintendo console controller to come out after the DualShock? The DualShock came out in 1997. Are you connecting the fucking dots yet? Did you know that 11 comes between 10 and 12? Jesus christ.

>we really have no need for both a left stick and d-pad

The d-pad is just 4 extra buttons, plenty of games put them to use

see
>Gee, what nintendo controller came out first after the dualshock, there's literally so many to choose from...
>Nintendo controller that came out first after the dualshock

Literally anyone who was alive and gaming back then knows this. Even the other guy who responded to that initially, while totally misreading it, still knew what controller it was.

You couldn't even read the thread enough to figure it out.

You're so smart user. You should be holding a seminar at Oxford.

Attached: 1551502247248.jpg (168x195, 9K)

Did any games?

Now that you mention it.

Attached: 1454433750880.jpg (599x797, 213K)

Alright, I'm being baited here aren't I? I mentioned the N64 controller, everyone says it isn't, and talks about some other controller from some other console that came out right after the PS1. Some other console Nintendo made.

Or maybe I'm talking to a bunch of people from another dimension where Nintendo made an additional console in 1997.

8Bitdo M30 is pretty good. Retro-bit controllers are supposed to be really high quality too once they come out

Attached: 61pVi84c+rL._AC_.jpg (1555x1040, 89K)

OP may as well ask why we didn't just use helicopters in WWII

Attached: 524px-Saturn_MK-80314.jpg (524x600, 53K)

I'd hate it today but I adapted back then. Played stuff like Tomb Raider and die hard trilogy just fine. There weren't many 3d games on the saturn really. A lot of games had 3d graphics but 2d controls.

user everything Nintendo does is s gimmick

>First nintendo controller made after 1997
>Can't figure it out
>Must be 18 years or older to post on Yea Forums.
It's a tragedy they haven't said anything about a saturn adapter for this yet.

>Alright, I'm being baited here aren't I?
At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm the one being baited here.
Are you trying to tell me you have no idea that Nintendo made any home console after the Nintendo 64?
Just fucking rack your brain. Count the Nintendo home consoles in your head.
>NES
>SNES
>N64
>????
What goes in the ????, user? What comes next? I'm dead fucking serious when I say I think you are retarded.

>two sticks
Zoomer detected

What I want to know is why there aren't four "shoulder" buttons on each side of a controller yet.

If you think this thing is ripping off the dualshock you have legitimate brain damage

Attached: 1200px-GameCube_controller.png (1200x933, 1M)

2001 kids sure aren't very bright

Attached: Not tom.jpg (1080x1108, 66K)

Because not only just Nintendo, but the industry didn't have a gold standard at the time and there's probably some uncertainty on whether devs would still make games to utilize the D-Pad more heavily, the PSX only had a D-Pad at the time too. Ninty decided to use a layout where either the analog or D-Pad can be operated comfortably should any of them be the primary input method. It's not good design since so many games ignore the latter, but there's some logic behind it.

>Literally a fisher price application of dualshock form factor
>NO IT ISN'T IN ANY WAY INSPIRED BY THE DUALSHOCK

lol

Look everybody its a fucking idiot.

>After 1997
Why in the fuck would you mention after 1997? The way you phrased it in your posts made it seem like you were talking about some other fucking controller made during that time.

Someone else even posted the fucking Gamecube controller and no one had any sense in pointing out that this was what you were talking about. And I'm going to point out that no, this is not even close to a fucking clone. The button formation on the right is certainly not the same, the A button is fuckhuge, the c-stick is tiny and on the bottom right, the main control stick is on the top left, the d-pad is on the fuck fucking button and is tiny, the Z button is based off of the N64 controller, but is in a fucking strange place and is a completely different shape. The shoulder buttons are not even close to being the same, they're large as fuck and are pressure sensitive. There's no select button, just a start button in the middle. What in the Goddamn hell makes you say this is a clone of a dualshock?
If you seriously are trying to equate it to saying dualshock is similar to the SNES controller, then you're fucking retarded. If the original two weren't even close, then you would have made a decent point, but that's not the case.

Imagine actually thinking the N64 controller was bad let alone terrible.

Attached: 64 controller.jpg (2715x2240, 1.21M)

Did you know: the GameCube was the first console made after 1997 by Nintendo?

>The way you phrased it in your posts made it seem like you were talking about some other fucking controller made during that time.
>After the dualshock, nintendo made a dualshock clone that dropped one shoulder button and swapped the placement of the dpad and analog stick
>Literally the first word set it as AFTER the dualshock

Reading is FUNdamental.

/thread

>And I'm going to point out that no, this is not even close to a fucking clone. The button formation on the right is certainly not the same, the A button is fuckhuge, the c-stick is tiny and on the bottom right, the main control stick is on the top left, the d-pad is on the fuck fucking button and is tiny, the Z button is based off of the N64 controller, but is in a fucking strange place and is a completely different shape. The shoulder buttons are not even close to being the same, they're large as fuck and are pressure sensitive. There's no select button, just a start button in the middle. What in the Goddamn hell makes you say this is a clone of a dualshock?
Yes, user, you got it, they made little changes all over the place. It doesn't change the fact that the basic design of the controller is DualShock.
>two wings, left side has analog stick and d-pad, right side has four face buttons and a second analog stick
>shoulders have two buttons each (in this case one side has two)
>rumble/vibration is built in unlike any previous controller
It doesn't have to be EXACTLY the same for it to be clearly inspired by the DualShock.

>Play Mario Party once
>Not only does your hand now have a hole in it, but the stick jiggles like a flacid dick anytime you move the controller
I miss having an N64.

>and no one had any sense in pointing out that this was what you were talking about

This post pointed out that that guy got it right, to you, and the first reply to that post even acknowledged it by clarifying what that guy thought the post said about that controller.

>no counter-argument
>attacks character instead
See the point is to actually make a counterpoint THEN namecall.
This just makes you look even more stupid than you already are for having a legit fight on the internet.

>inspired by dualshock
>when the button formation isn't even close to the same
>when there are no extra shoulder buttons
>when the shoulder buttons are pressure fucking sensitive and large as fuck
>when the tiny ass d-pad is on the bottom left instead of being placed on the exact same axis as the buttons on the right
>when the tiny ass c-stick is on the bottom right
>when the c-stick barely functions in the same way as the right stick on the dualshock, and is mostly used for weird secondary functions like swapping beams in Metroid Prime.
>When there is a small as fuck z-button on the top right that doesn't even function as a secondary shoulder button, like the secondary shoulder buttons do on dualshock
You're really reaching if you think it's a clone.

I think Scott the Woz put it best: "a fairly standard controller, with a Nintendo twist". What anyone says when they mean a 'standard' game controller is the precedent the DualShock made. It's a DualShock controller with little twists here and there. The basic structure is still pretty much the same as the DualShock.

>Sony releases 3d game focused controller with two sticks arranged in an offset positioning to the other classic inputs so each thumb accesses two input features, left thumb dpad and analog 1 and right them face buttons and analog 2, more shoulder buttons, two handles, built in vibration.
>Nintendo's next controller is a 3d game focused controller with two sticks arranged in an offset positioning to the other classic inputs so each thumb accesses two input features, left thumb dpad and analog 1 and right them face buttons and analog 2, more shoulder buttons, two handles, built in vibration.
>NO THEY DIDN'T DRAW INSPIRATION FROM THE DUALSHOCK AT ALL!

>muh fisherprice
You faggots have no idea what that word means.
And even it it was a DS ripoff thats fine since the DS is just a shitter ripoff of the SNES controller and improved NES controller.

Attached: Sonys innovation.png (800x800, 673K)

>Yes, user, you got it, they made little changes all over the place. It doesn't change the fact that the basic design of the controller is DualShock.
They aren't "little changes" when everything is placed differently, is a different size and shape, and has different functions. The c-stick wasn't even inspired by the dualshock, it was inspired by the N64's c-buttons. It even functions the same way with the secondary actions you take with it. Again, Metroid Prime is a good example. You don't use it as a camera like you would with the dualshock's right stick, you use it to swap beams. It was way too small to be properly used as a dual stick in first person shooters, hence the reason it was barely used like that.

You guys say the Gamecube controller is basically a dualshock, but then disparage it all the same by pointing out the differences, how inefficient it is in fighters and first person shooters, and how it's basically only useful for Smash.

>Sony makes a pizza, inspired by the works of the pizzamaker they used to be affiliated with, but put their own spin on things
>Sony's pizza is well known throughout the world as the basic standard by which all pizzas should strive to be
>Nintendo makes a pizza clearly inspired by Sony's
>Nintendo changes some things, like using different cheese, using italian sausage instead of pepperoni, and puts seasoning on the crust
>user: "THERE IS NO WAY THIS WAS INSPIRED BY SONY'S PIZZA AT ALL"
>they are both round and use the same sauce but it doesn't count because "WELL NINTENDO'S HAS SEASONING SO IT'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT"

>the button formation is didnt
I count 4. Moved slightly and scaled but... yeah 4.
>no extra shoulders
What is the Z shoulder
>super sensitive shoulders!
They still just click in the end. Like L2 R2
>tiny ass D pad thats not the same position
Much like the Xbox placement who unironically will state they got the idea from dualshock
>tiny ass c stick at bottom right
Same placement just scaled slightly
>barely functions the same.
Nintendos just bad at realizing it could have been pressure sensitive and failed to replicate that.
>small z button that doesnt even function like a shoulder
Yeah it does. It could be remapped to be just like an R1

Im telling you here and now I could grab a ps2 emulator, use the gamecube controller adapter on pc. And play it exactly the same. And it wouldnt even feel all that different.

see From the looks of it Sony stole Nintendo changed a few things then Nintendo stole the pizza back.
also
>food analogy

>They aren't "little changes" when everything is placed differently, is a different size and shape, and has different functions.
That is in fact a little change. The overall structure is still the same as the precedent set by DualShock.
>The c-stick wasn't even inspired by the dualshock, it was inspired by the N64's c-buttons.
Yes, I'm sure, and that's why they put C buttons on the GameCube controller. Wait. No, they put a stick there. TIL it's the exact same thing if it has a similar name
>Again, Metroid Prime is a good example. You don't use it as a camera like you would with the dualshock's right stick
Are you brain dead? Do you think EVERY game that uses a DualShock HAS to have the same kind of controls? This is literally like saying the PS1 and SNES controllers are completely different because Crash uses X to jump and Mario would use O. Fuck off.
>It was way too small to be properly used as a dual stick in first person shooters, hence the reason it was barely used like that.
Yep, they designed the controller slightly differently from a regular DualShock. Shooters still used it, by the way. Guess you didn't play them.
>You guys say the Gamecube controller is basically a dualshock, but then disparage it all the same by pointing out the differences, how inefficient it is in fighters and first person shooters, and how it's basically only useful for Smash.
Strawman.

>From the looks of it Sony stole Nintendo changed a few things then Nintendo stole the pizza back.
So you agree that Nintendo took inspiration from Sony's pizza when designing their own pizza? Great, you just proved my point.

>everybodys arguing about shitty controllers nobody cares about

You nerd virgins call me when you have a better controller than pic related.

Im gonna go use this to parry some bitches in darksouls and fuck their wives.

C u l8r virgins.

Attached: 4cbe51b198f1b_88954n.jpg (300x277, 20K)

^This guy called it.

>It's a tragedy they haven't said anything about a saturn adapter for this yet.
Eh, Retro-bit will have one for their controllers, so not a huge deal

The dualshock has a symmetrical design, it's not the same as the Gamecube's. Left thumb d-pad wasn't really started by Sony, and Nintendo's is in a much lower position, not to mention being so small that it's basically worthless. The face buttons being on the right also wasn't something Sony invented, and the position of the buttons is completely different, not to mention the focus on the A button being the primary function. Its size is definitely proof enough of this. The second control stick doesn't function the same way as dualshocks's as it's way too small to be efficiently used for dualstick controls. Again, most FPS games on that console didn't utilize the c-stick in the same way. It's more similar to Nintendo's c-buttons. The fact that Nintendo turned it into a stick isn't proof that it's a clone of the dualshock's design. Same goes for the z-button. It was way too small to function like a secondary shoulder button so its functions were mostly secondary. Hell you barely used it in games. It was for occasional use only.

Even the philosophy of the designs are different.

And then they fixed it.

The blueprint digging game was kino

>Sony did something right 22 years ago
Yeah making a few improvements to the SNES controller. You faggots want a medal or something?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the DualShock being the basic template future controllers strived to be or intentionally deviated from. If you don't think the DualShock became the standard for video game controllers, you are intentionally ignoring what is plainly obvious. This isn't even a bad fucking thing. Yes, the DualShock was definitely inspired by the SNES and N64 controllers and their features. This does not change that what the DualShock did was create the standard by which game controllers would then be judged in the future. Most controllers, especially in the current generation, have direct lineage back to it. And that ISN'T A PROBLEM. I honestly don't see what is so necessary about denying it.

The gamecube clearly has a near identical form factor to the dualshock.

Reasonable people don't really care about that because it doesn't really mean anything to them. The dualshock worked good for 3d games and copying that layout and feature set is a good idea. There's nothing negative about that.

The people who get butthurt about it are fanboys who really shouldn't tie their own sense of self worth into the brands they buy so much. It's ridiculous.

Let me summarize.
>GameCube is like a DualShock except with a different design mentality put to it and different intentions for how it should be used to play games. It still lends its basic core structure to the DualShock.

Two reasonable posters trying to talk sense to a crowd of pissed off fanboys.

Attached: gaming.gif (500x719, 228K)

imagine getting furiously angry over controllers
>inb4 "NOBODY'S ANGRY WE'RE JUST LAUGHING AT YOU"

SNES laid the foundation. Sony improved upon that and set the standard for the future. *Almost every console controller that Nintendo puts out is unique to some point. Sony keeps its design basically the same for over 2 decades. What's with the e-peen fights over control design?

>What's with the e-peen fights over control design?
Some people get really upset when a company that isn't their company of choice does something meaningful. They don't see it as a gain for gaming as a whole, but as a loss for their company of choice not being able to claim sole credit.

You know, people who like video game brands more than they like video games themselves.

>That is in fact a little change. The overall structure is still the same as the precedent set by DualShock.
It's not a little change when everything is in a completely different position. That's actually pretty huge, it redefines how you're going to control the game. X and Y aren't going to be used in the same way as say, triangle and circle. If you've played enough Gamecube games, you would know this.
>Yes, I'm sure, and that's why they put C buttons on the GameCube controller. Wait. No, they put a stick there. TIL it's the exact same thing if it has a similar name
Um, no. Again, you need to play more Gamecube games. The c-stick functions like c-buttons did in N64. You aren't using it like a dualstick, like you would in PS1. Go ahead and play some first person shooters like Timesplitters, you'll see.
>Are you brain dead? Do you think EVERY game that uses a DualShock HAS to have the same kind of controls? This is literally like saying the PS1 and SNES controllers are completely different because Crash uses X to jump and Mario would use O. Fuck off.
You're fucking retarded. I didn't say literally every game uses the buttons in the exact same way, but a lot of them do. X is, in most games, confirm, O is cancel. Don't be daft.
>Yep, they designed the controller slightly differently from a regular DualShock. Shooters still used it, by the way. Guess you didn't play them.
Name the shooters on Gamecube that used the c-stick for camera/aiming. I'll wait
>Strawman
You don't know what a strawman is, but alright.
>From the looks of it Sony stole Nintendo changed a few things then Nintendo stole the pizza back.
I never said that, stop putting words in my mouth.

>Gamecube is like dualshock but completely different
Okay

Sometimes, it's just not worth it anymore to argue. Some people can't be reasoned with. It kind of hammers in the pointlessness of even attempting to talk to other people.

Attached: liketearsinrain.jpg (600x525, 69K)

Dual shock copied SNES and Gamecube copied Dual shock. It's literally just innovation.

Xbox is actually the modern standard. No one but Sony uses their design.

Not him, but shooters aren't the primary reason a second stick was made. It was camera control in general in 3d games, and plenty on the gamecube used it this way.

>What is the z shoulder
Not a shoulder, it doesn't even function as one. Nintendo never intended it to be like that. You try drifting with the z-button in Mario Kart Double Dash and tell me how that goes.
>Much like the Xbox placement who unironically will state they got the idea from dualshock
Yeah, it is like the X-box. But X-box's d-pad is at best tangentially related to dualshock's
>Same placement just scaled slightly
It's not in the same placement. There's a term for it and it's called asymmetrical. The Gamecube controller has an asymmetrical design for its sticks, the dualshock has a symmetrical one. The philosophy in design is different.
>Nintendos just bad at realizing it could have been pressure sensitive and failed to replicate that.
Nigga it's a tiny fucking stick. It would have been a pain in the ass to use it for dualstick controls. It really was better as something like beam swapping.
>Yeah it does. It could be remapped to be just like an R1
That would have been horrible. The z-button's design is not conducive to effectively use it as a shoulder button. It would have been uncomfortable as fuck drifting with that long term.

>Im telling you here and now I could grab a ps2 emulator, use the gamecube controller adapter on pc. And play it exactly the same. And it wouldnt even feel all that different.
Ha ha, okay man, you go ahead and play games like Metal Gear Solid with it. Good luck, as it has pressure sensitive controls. You'll be using the shoulder buttons, and yes, it will be awkward. I'm telling you the Gamecube controller was not meant to be used for a variety of games. Fighters are an absolute chore, and the Megaman X Collection was definitely a pain in the ass to play with this thing.

The problem is that every game made since then has had one be primary and the other secondary.
The N64 controller gives no way to use one and the other at the same time, even if it's just for things like scrolling inventory.

Homogenization of controllers killed console gaming. Adapting to the new controller was half the fun. Now it'll just be the same shit. Might be closer the Xbox side might be closer to the PS side but it'll be the same shit with the same buttons in the same places.