Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Pathfinder: Kingsmaker
Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonsspear
Legends of Grimrock
Atom RPG
Spellforce
Avernum

How would you rate the cRPG revival so far? Were they worth reviving, or is the genre just outdated?

Attached: reviving-crpg-1-750x404.jpg (750x404, 105K)

>Baldurs Gate: Siege of Dragonspear
Beamdog is a guilty of a number of different crimes. Here are the major ones.

1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).

2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're "bundled" into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.

3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.

4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.

5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear.

Attached: Beamniggers.png (661x245, 39K)

Based and redpilled

I played divinity original sin 2 and I kind of liked it but managing my allies skill and stat point assignments on level up is dumb, are their are games like it but you only manage your own stats while allies have them assigned automatically.

I really want to give Kingmaker another try, but the loading times are atrocious. Anyone try the latest DLC?

where is the best place to get the original version
of baldur's gate 1 and 2 these days?
i wanted to finally play these games but i have been reading how shitty the enhanced edition is.

Even on SSD. Honestly the reason I don't want to keep playing

Shadowrun. Also fuck you.

Pirate enhanced edition is best way.

You can't really, Beamdog stopped selling it altogether, might be able to find a pirated version or a key

I've been playing it lately, just started it recently. I think they fixed the loading screen for kingdom management according to the patch notes. Loads in/out pretty fast now, at least for me.

all those nu-crpgs
not mentioning the only true crpg revival of the last years

Attached: sapeswontgetthis.jpg (2048x1152, 631K)

shut up cleve

Several cRPGs have an auto-level up for companions in their settings.

Play Age of Decadence.

Attached: 1527840625218.jpg (833x3769, 940K)

>Still no 5e based d&d game.

I like the use of bright colours in Grimoire, I wish more fantasy games would go with bright colours again. Too bad Grimoire isn't fun though.

also don't forget the Bards Tale 1 to 3 remasters

pillars - sux
divinity - ok
torment- grabage
tyranny - sux
wastland 2 - sux
underrail - good
shadowrun - sux
age of decadence - ok
expeditions - ok
pathfinder - ok
BG -sux
grimrock - good
spellforce- sux
avernum - sux

These are all shit except for D:OS and Underrail

Pillars of Eternity
>Boring no-fun-allowed shit
Divinity Original Sin
>Really fun, not a great story though
Torment: Tides of Numenara
>Written by a highschool student
Tyranny
>Don't know
Wasteland 2
>Very Mediocre. Comes really close to being fun, but nothing really excels at what it does
Underrail
>don't know
Shadowrun
>Writing is okay, not a fan of the gameplay
Age of Decadence
>Don't know
Expeditions: Viking
>IMO one of the best new cRPGs. Good writings, fun combat, multiple ways to tackle problems
Expeditions: Conquistador
>Vikings Beta. Has a good concept, but a lot of issues that Vikings improved
Pathfinder: Kingsmaker
>Want to love it so much, but after checking back every month to see if bugs are fixed or not, always encounter a bug in the first hour or two, if not in character creator itself
Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonsspear
>Gross writing, but fulfilled my BG itch gameplay wise
Legends of Grimrock
>Not a fan of blobbers
Atom RPG
>don't know
Spellforce
>don't know

They are being little faggots about the D&D licensing. Several devs have spoken out about it. They want ridiculous cuts and also insist on having full control of basically everything about your game.

>wanting to play a crpg based on a system with an abysmally small amount of character customization

I enjoyed the first Pillars but they really fucked it up with the main story in the second game. The side ultimate bosses in the first Pillars (Adra, Snow, and Swamp dragons) were absolutely fun to fight on the highest difficulty.

Original Sin 2 is an improvement to the first one but it's a bit too slow paced for me (still managed to get three playthroughs out of it). Combat does allow some fun combos at the very least. A bit hard to get involved with the story because it feels like a generic been-there-done-that kind of a deal. Is the rewritten ending for OS2 worth a play or is it still samey?

Pathfinder is what I had hoped the first Pillars to be and improves upon the stronghold system in many ways. Kinda lackluster story though (probably because I'm still early in, only claimed the first two regions at the moment). That said, all these games have some pretty superb sidequests going for them.

Attached: 1523739467943.jpg (960x960, 156K)

You don't want to play the original version of BG1 these days.

How is Baldur's Gate remake mod based on NWN2 engine?

Numanuma is not a bad game its own, but it makes you appreciate all the more how much better Planescape Torment did everything it tried to tackle. I do like that combat is basically always a secondary solution to problems and you can avoid most of it. Now if only the game didn't SPELL OUT alternative Crisis solutions to the player so he had to actually think.

Attached: numenera_mc-female-protag.jpg (1146x266, 93K)

Terrible due to NWN2's engine. Hope you like 15 second load screens when entering and leaving houses in Beregost.

I hope some of the upcoming CRPGs will be good.

Attached: disco elysium.jpg (1200x682, 134K)

point at the casual and laugh

>I want less control in my games

No such thing as an outdated genre you absolute god damn retard.

I haven't tried it personally, reviews around here are mixed. I wouldn't try it as your first experience with the Baldur's Gate games, the engines and mechanics alone are so different it will still be a completely different game.

Try and find the most recent updated 'original'/non-EE versions of BG1 and 2; you can still download them from GOG if you own the Enhanced Editions (or previously purchased them, they're just no longer available for individual sale) so you should easily be able to find them somewhere. You're not playing the "original" release version of BG1 but there's no reason to, play it with BG2's engine updates first.

Man I loved Divinity Original Sin series but can't get into the rest. I tried Torment, Tyranny, PoE. Is there another I can try that is more akin to Divinity OS?

That, Copper Dreams and the Generation Ship rpg all look really good.

Divinity 2: Developers cut is pretty good.

Also, the original ending is something that other games never do your main character loses. Not in any glorious way, he was tricked the whole time and ends up in nothell for all eternity, or at least until the expac "fixes" it

>crpg looks interesting
>but only want to control one character
>try game with one character
>dude here's 3-4 other people you need to control and minmax too lmao
Any game where you are actually solo?

Attached: 127614052839.jpg (1036x855, 89K)

Underrail but I couldn't get into it.

Appeal of CRPGs was always group play and having the most control over said party, though. It's why Icewind Dales are superior to Baldur's Gates for me. Let me create my full party from the get-go.

Attached: icewind-dale-2-character-generation.jpg (800x600, 106K)

that's made by literal commies though

>They want ridiculous cuts and also insist on having full control of basically everything about your game.
This would be fair if they actually gave you enough hands on support to polish the balls off the games they've attached their license to but everything they've touched recently has turned to shit.

Age of Decadence. only nu-CRPG that scratched my FO2/Arcanum itch. I'm hyped for Colony Ship by the same devs which is supposed to be out next year

anons, pathfinder seems like it could be great if it didn't have so many game breaking bugs

>dat feel when IWD2EE never because it would require actual work on Beamdog's part

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. It just shows how averse to work they actually are.

>mfw Dungeon Rats is a combat-centric Age of Decadence spin-off

Attached: worry face.jpg (389x440, 22K)

and its actually pretty good btw.
Age of Decadence itself has a good combat system despite being so heavily dialogue-focused.

>Almost all old cRPGs are based on d&d where combat is turn based but video games went for real time with active pause instead.

Why?

Because RPG genre got hybridized with RTS and it became the norm.

turn based makes mundane fights last forever

I've never seen another Mogwai fan before besides my father.

For Obsidian, I think they literally had a kickstarter backer poll asking what mechanic system the players wanted and >RTwP won. aka the Baldur's Gate gameplay instead of turn-based/gold box gameplay.
then it turned out RTwP is sort of a shit hybrid system and it faded away in favor of either strictly turn-based or strictly action-based for a reason

That's not really a turn-based problem, though. If you have a turn-based combat system your game has no place to include throwaway trash fights to waste your time. It's something Age of Decadence did right where every fight basically feels like a boss fight.

Divinity Original Sin 2 has a perk called Lone Wolf that makes your single character somewhat on par with a team.

>Play pathfinder
>Barbarian girl is best girl by a mile
>Go online to find out how to woo her
>You can't marry her because fuck you

And dropped

so was tetris

The original Baldurs Gate was already the revival of the cRPG.
The current spat of releases is just Kickstarter nostalgia-bait.
You're unlikely to get a quality product when the purveyor demands you pay upfront.

Attached: 1502050975923.jpg (900x720, 129K)

Casualfags get out of mah vidya

Reminder Cleve's wife left him over Grimoire.

Where's the screenshot from? DOS2?