Is metroidvania genre going through an overmarket?

We could say Hollow Knight saved the genre and Silksong will be great for sure.
We had plenty of new titles recently but most of the modern stuff is full of mediocre games. Not bad games at all, despite of its flaws, I loved Guacamelee, for example

Attached: 1551559547014.png (400x378, 189K)

I googled overmarket and got no results. Do you mean 'metroidvania' as a word is being used too much to sell a product? Because I don't agree, it's fine to label it as such. For marketing purposes or whatnot.

oh shit I'm neologizing again.
Yeah I think the word "metroidvania" became mainstream to target an audience.
And I think devs forgot or never knew what Metroidvania is

This is now a HK thread.

Attached: 1550193760258.jpg (600x600, 116K)

"Metroidvania" has always been used to refer to games that share only surface level similarities to each other. It's a terrible term.

Bapanada...

Yes. But that's wrong. Metroidvania is not only marking a 2D map, regardless if its linear or not. That bothers me a lot.

Just got hollow knight for my ps4 what should i expect? Just recently beat ori and the blind forest on xb1s in terms of the same type of game.

If you liked Ori you will love HK forever.

Less flowing platforming barring a few late game challenges and more combat compared to Ori. Much of the combat variance comes from a charm system that modify how you attack/cast magic.

Also, many find the first few hours slow. I personally didn't, but things do get far more involved once you get a few traversal abilities under your belt.

Which one makes you want to kill yourself the hardest?

Attached: just fuck my shit up.png (387x221, 73K)

>ywn bapa her nadas

>Hollow Knight saved the genre
Goddamn you faggots are seriously the worst fanbase in existence, why do you jerk off to this mediocre indie game so fucking much?

Personal taste aside, the game and devs deserve respect for selling a vast game for an extremely fair price.

Even if you consider it mediocre, I'd ask if you have found a $15 game with as much content and free DLC of equivalent quality, compounded that they're releasing a sequel for essentially free to those who backed the original fundraiser.

>using indie as a derogatory term
spotted the aaa dick rider

Attached: 1551246385620.png (400x450, 73K)

just name a better modern metroidvania, movie faggot

Attached: Metroidvanias.jpg (2000x8200, 3.45M)

Ok, lads. I'm going in.

Attached: 20190302223523_1.jpg (1920x1080, 90K)

Pro-tip: Always win your battles.

Remember precept 57

He meant oversaturated

Why is La-Mulana 1 twice? In holly trinity and great tier

It's that good.

Original and remake.

There are 8 and 16 bit versions of the game.

The remake and the original.

axiom verge, ez

I CAN TLEL THIS CHART IS BULLSHIT BECAUSE HARDLY METROIDVANIA GAMES LIKE RABI RIBI AND MOMODORA ARE IN GREAT TIER WITH ZERO MISSION LIKE FUCK OFF FOR REAL. ARE WE REALLY PRETENDING KUROVADIS IS GOOD AND ON THE LEVEL OF WONDERBOY AND AQUARIA? I WONDER IF THIS CHART WAS MADE BY A CHRONIC MASTURBATOR PROTIP IT WAS.

Attached: giphy (1).gif (360x198, 1.98M)

The real question is why it's on there at all, having played it I regret ever listening to retards on Yea Forums.

Cave story isnt metroidvania??

>saved the genre
I don't think the genre ever needed "saving" user. We've had indie metroidvanias of similar quality to Hollow Knight for years.

Attached: 1540181311449.png (467x516, 320K)

Zero Mission isn't that good. Kurovadis is a bit of a meme-ranking, but it's really not bad.

its fucking awful get your dick off your hand

>The Messenger
It's such a shame the game is so short. Getting 100% on my first playthrough only took 10 hours, and I got every achievement in 14 total hours. I love the graphics, music, and movement but I wish there was more to it.

Holy, his so fucking cool.

Attached: 20190302230652_1.jpg (1920x1080, 256K)

Metroidvanias have a large number of small interconnected rooms. Cave Story has a small number of large rooms that aren't all connected.

At least, that's my best guess as to why it doesn't count as a Metroidvania.

The only reason the HK fanbase isn't as hated as it deserves is because there aren't enough of them to attract the attention necessary to become truly reviled.
It's like if there were only a couple hundred furries. They'd still be awful but no one would care.

indie shills all have delusions of grandeur about their mediocre ripoffs of the classics.

Because they are too young to have played the games the new wave is based off of and therefore find the new stuff better because it presents the old formula in a more accessible way