Who redefined the genre more?

Attached: witcher botw.jpg (1374x1144, 534K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-05-how-will-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-change-the-open-world-paradigm
drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz_UmRDesMyvQkdOWV9rVjlKaDQ/view
boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/Ubisoft, EA, Rockstar, etc. have been making open world games for a decade or even longer
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

None. Both game had little impact on industry.

Neither of them.

unironically skyrim

Neither. I loved both honestly, but they didn't change much.

Holy smokes that zelda game is terrible.

According to TW3 developers, BotW did:

gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-05-how-will-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-change-the-open-world-paradigm

The Witcher 3 just has an above average pretty open world, nothing more. Don't let the wind fool you, it's a dead static world.
Find a werewolf in a cave at night, come back during the day and he's still a werewolf, patiently waiting for you to kill him and get your 10 crowns AHHAAAHAA.

open world games are bad

I never played zelda but there's nothing redefining about witcher 3. it's just a really average action adventure game with a big open world and good writing. there aren't even many RPG elements, certainly not enough to call it an RPG, but hey, marketers full casuals regardless

They were both very enjoyable albeit highly overrated games. I don't think either redefined anything.

BoTW has more things going on, but pretty much no other game learned from it. TW3 is completely inane. The only thing you can get from it is that people will eat mechanically shallow quests if they have “emotional” narratives attached to it.

Witcher 3 isnt even open world. Its segmented and has loading screens. The only thing that game has is "Story", and who the fuck cares about story in games

now post the user score

>Witcher 3 isnt even open world
Shut up you fucking cunt

I don't think either has made any impact yet. I can't name 1 clone to either game. Also I don't think the Witcher did anything special or unique.

FPBP

What genre do you mean anyway? Open world? Because Witcher did nothing with it, and BOTW just added an emphasis on physics for puzzle solving. Neither did anything to redefine the genre.

by that definition BotW isnt open world either because you load into shrines and dungeons. stupid autistic fuck

Neither.
BoTW is generic Ubishit and Witcher 3 didn't need to be open world.

This and in the worst ways possible.

Let's ignore the insane number of devs saying BOTW was revolutionary shall we

>Damien Monnier, senior designer on The Witcher 3 at CD Projekt RED and now lead designer at fellow Polish studio Techland, emphasised the independence Nintendo fosters in the game's players. "Breath of the Wild has managed to bring classic open world mechanics together while not relying on them to guide the player through its world," said Monnier. "You go and explore it because you wonder what's out there, not because a loot icon tells you to."

Witcher 3 GOTY is on sale for 17$ on the PS store.

Is it worth buying if I never played the game?
I do enjoy open world RPGs and I am currently playing through GOW and loving it.

BotW had you climbing all over the place and some physics stuff but those arent exactly new.
Withcer 3 on the other hand does nothing unique besides being based on a book series and looks good.

Attached: goat.png (1356x900, 135K)

>For Monnier, what is most striking about the game is the level of immersion the player has in its world. "My expectations, and I mean for me as a Zelda fan, have changed for sure - they've raised the bar when it comes to world crafting and this sense of total immersion I get when I play it," he said. "While its world includes classic open-world activities, collectibles and loot-filled mobs, it definitely doesn't feel overloaded and allows the focus be on the exploration. You want to explore this land whether or not you are on a quest, or being tasked to collect/gather something. You know, If you were to remove all NPCs, quests and mobs, I would still take pleasure in exploring that beautiful world."
>In particular, said Monnier, the layout of the game's landscape is highly effective. "[The designers use] smart placement of points of interest in the distance, that break the horizon. That includes intriguing natural formations. I find them inviting. Once you do reach one of these points you often feel a shift in the mood that makes you feel as if you have travelled further than you actually have; as if you have gone on a greater journey."

or that it's still way too new to really make that assessment anyway

Yea and Fifa and CoD are da best games ever cause more peopel bought them

Depends, TW3 has the best rpg narrative you could ask for while BOTW has really good exploration.

Obviously BOTW because it's number is bigger.

Nothing stops you from venturing off the map markers and explore unmarked zones in other Open World games

>None. Both game had little impact on industry.
This. GTA 3 is a game changer, both the product of modern (shit) open worlders and the Witcher 3 should've been like 2.

>I do enjoy open world RPGs and I am currently playing through GOW and loving it.

Attached: fuckingwhat.gif (200x235, 1.29M)

Well its definitely not Zelda, if it was released on any other platform and the name of the game wasnt zelda nobody would have even talked about it. Nintendo fans just hype up anything they are lucky enough to get because they are game starved and have to justify their purchase of their paperweight console. Actual trash game and not even an RPG, just a really generic action game that feels like it should have came out in 2005

TW3 doesn’t even has the best narrative in its own series.

17$ is a steal

Attached: 363463676.jpg (700x913, 109K)

Witcher 3 is not an RPG.

>game of the decade vs a shitty slav drak souls combat clone with a generic tough guy protagonist writing
Gee, i wonder.
People will talk about Zelda in 15 years, but in the same time only the old gamers will even remember game like Witcher ever existed, especially after the Netflix show crashes and burns as it already seems as contender for this years biggest big show failure.

Attached: skyrim.jpg (616x353, 27K)

>but pretty much no other game learned from it.
it is still to soon to say that. Modern AAA games take 4+ years to make.

Combat is really garbage

But if you're a zoomer who hates gameplay anyway and just wants to be a big hero guy praised by NPCs, then give it a shot

The Witcher did nothing new/interesting with the genre. Zelda might have some impact on future open world games, but it's too early to see and there's no way it's going to have the same impact as OoT.

except for the fact other games aren't designed specifically for you to do that like botw is
drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz_UmRDesMyvQkdOWV9rVjlKaDQ/view

TW3 lead designer even says it himself how botw raised the bar in that regard.

seething

someone post the reply to this please.

i know this is a joke, but some retards really believe this

>Look up "BOTW" in archive
>220,000 results
>That is JUST BOTW and not Breath of the Wild, Zelda, or any other combination
Yea Forums literally talks about Breath of the Wild every fucking second. BOTW is game of the decade.

Except, it does. The writing quality of the side quests alone make it so, and the main story was pretty decent as well despite its flaws. Then you have the expansions which are also amazingly written. It's not just the writing either. It's the animations, the voice acting etc. too which are all top quality.

I am pretty sure more people played witcher3 and more people enjoyed witcher3 and more people learned from witcher3. Breath of the wild doesn't exist to most people, nor do they care about it.

Attached: 1550986866982.png (447x665, 452K)

>buying into PR meme

Nice

Neither. Stop trying to make things bigger than they are just so you can feel special for having experienced it.

Wisest user here : only time tells what deserves the game changer title! (Ocarina is one because Z-targeting happened a lot afterwards)

>More people played Witcher 3
Nigger no shit, it's on how many platforms at this point?

are you legit retarded?

Yes, It's a long ass game and more than pays back that cost with the amount of gameplay you're getting. The Quests, stories, and characters are very well done, the world building and atmosphere are terrific. Combat isn't amazing, the most "efficient" way to play isn't really the funnest, but the game's perk system does allow to switch up how spells and melee works to a degree which can be fun to play with. The expansions are both very strong entries and add substantially to an already fairly long game. It's also not hard to get burnt out on the game even on your first playthrough.

Play the shit out of the game's Gwent minigame if you can.

>Is it worth buying if I never played the game?
>I am currently playing through GOW and loving it

witcher 3 is a slow, dialogue-heavy rpg, not an action adventure game like gow. if you're already aware of that then yes go for it

Are you for real?Both this games did not innovate at all,they simply set a new record graphics and story wise.

>at this point
>implying its been getting re-releases like skyshit
It is and has always been on 3 platforms

Trends come in waves. This gen started with the Skyrim/Minecraft wave and then it transitioned/mixed to dark souls as that series increased in popularity. The next wave is surely going to be botw as red dead and assassins creed have already started and death stranding seems to be continuing

it's a contender for it at least. you have to be a brainlet to not see the genius in the game.

it achieves a perfect balance in it's systems and reward you in a meaningful way for exploring, either with fun puzzle, nice sights, cool items or cute events. Top that with the feeling that you come up with your own solution everytime and not the game trying to force a course of action upon you and you got a truly special game.

Are you? You sound like you are since you literally believe other games "arent designed to be explore" but only Toddler games are

How naive are you kids

Didn't play BotW, but Witcher 3 was just generic slightly above average quality rpg that didn't bring anything new to the table

>452967225
not even worth a (You)
pathetic

people who actually make video games are saying it, not brazilian NPC gamers

now THIS is shill speak

>just wants to be a big hero guy praised by NPCs
t. never played witcher

the only series more overrated than Zelda is Mario
Pokemon would be the most overrated if it had more console games, but since it doesn't we'll relegate it to third

>this post gets ignored
hmm

You mean the same people that Yea Forums calls incompetent and anti-consumer all the time? Now we're supposed to listen to them because some of them praised a zelda game?

And you never played Witcher 3. W1 and 2 at least kept some sense of the books. W3 is literally a MCU movie.

>Witcher 3 was just generic slightly above average
Witcher 3 had awesome quests and expansions that shat on what Nintendo passed as dlcs

kill yourself

BOTW suffers heavily from being so focused on being a collectathon for useless shit, an aspect previous Zelda games had but not in so egregious amounts. It's an excellent pick up and play game for dicking around, which most Zelda's can't really claim to be, but in regards to atmosphere and characters it feels like one of the weakest entries in the series to me. The Dungeons and trials were completely forgettable to me, and for a Zelda title that feels like an unforgivable flaw.

I have never played another game structured in the same way as BotW. In both structure and execution (with all the interactive systems), the game is a pretty big deal. Superficially, it looks a lot like generic Ubisoft open-world shit, but its design principles are basically the opposite.

it's not wise, it's basic sense. even if someone was dead set on totally ripping off BOTW they'd only just be finishing their second rate imitation right around now
nothing will be as innovative as things were in the 90s but BOTW is still a big deal

IDK what the reply is but I could easily post the shit-ton of fake Metacritic reviews for BOTW

>W3 is literally a MCU movie.
this is the most retarded thing I've ever read on this website this year. Thanks user, you're going straight into my 2019 collection

RDR2

Attached: 4w1d2udsmey11.jpg (1920x1080, 319K)

desu TW3 is just as vapid as a Marvel movie, they're right

the same people who made any game you like, it's just getting praise across the board. you don't have to listen to them but you sure as hell aren't more clever than the people who actually create this shit

The Witcher 3 didn't try to redefine anything, it tried to do exactly the same thing Morrowind did, to good success.

>but in regards to atmosphere and characters it feels like one of the weakest entries in the series to me.
Really kills the game on subsequent playthoughs when you get bored of just fucking around.

You should play it on One X instead. Looks way better.

If you don't think W3 was a drastic change from the first two games and went for the big LE EBIN HERO GUY segment of the autistic gaming community, then you never played any Witcher games

Kindly fuck off

It's an open world with interactible environment.You can't find some video games that match that criteria?

see

I dont like W3. Why should I care when Witcher 3 devs act like exploring an unfamiliar place in BoTw is a bigger deal than exploring an unfamiliar place in other open world games?

Do you even think for yourself?

Kindly kill yourself

metacritic is a website for normies to have their opinion spoonfed to them

if you use metacritic unironically you are a normie

You're embarrassing yourself user. Hes right.

see

>Hes right.
>never even gives an explanation for his reasoning
what a faggot

I didn't like the themepark structure of TW3 or BoTW.

Morrowind and Skyrim have this very free-form sort of level design where you can tell the developers put sight-lights and points of interest as they fit into the world, not the other way around where they literally design the points of interest first. it feels too curated when you turn around a bend and there is yet another ubisoft zelda tower or pack of mobs to keep you from getting too bored. I don't like that kind of stuff, it gets painfully predictable after 20 minutes.

What a surprise, you never played any Witcher games

Now fuck off and maybe find a homeless guy to take a shit down your throat

the argument as i understand it is over whether or not BOTW is an influential game, not whether you have to like it, nobody gives a fuck if you like it
people who make games saying they're influenced by it means it's influential

None. They are both empty open worlds that have not done anything new.
>they said it so it must be true!!!
No one cares what they say. The player's opinion is what matters.

cool story bro

so you literally dont think for yourself

lol

>you never played any Witcher games
wow, you sure proved that I never played any witcher games by quoting my post telling you to kys

Attached: 12312903182.jpg (1838x2048, 157K)

SEETHING

Attached: 1534965954813.jpg (757x1066, 148K)

Beautiful game, fun setting, engaging characters and traits, story has engaging themes, many of the minigames and the challenges are fun ways to waste time and be rewarded for it, Cowboy fashion show is GOAT. But the story is just too damn slow and I felt like many of the criminal behaviors can be very unrewarding for the amount of consequence the game can slap on you for it. I hold up a man in a three piece suit, tophat, riding a Dutch Warmblood, with a bodyguard and the guy only has 2 dollars on him? That's bullshit.

What in TW3's plot is bold, challenging, or new? It's all boilerplate fantasy/action plot

>when not even shitty doujins can salvage BotW Zelda's position as worst girl

>gruff protagonist that can do no wrong
>literal superpowers
>characters all vapid cliches
>cliche end of the world threat that only /ourhero/ can stop
>villain doesnt actually pose any threat 90% of the game
>generic heros always win ending
>follows the plot structure of an avengers movie

Look at this thread.

Look at the people who posts random quotes from anyone with any semblance of notoriety and try to use it as the gospel to enforce their own biased arguments

This is zoomer culture. People who grew up on e-celebs who parrot other people's opinions with zero thoughts of their own.

Attached: 1540865740152.png (587x870, 985K)

>autist on Yea Forums thinks his opinion is somehow more valid than the opinion of TW3 game designer on the fact that BotW is the better open world

all i'm saying is BOTW is obviously an influential game in the industry, that was all i was arguing, draw your own conclusions, i'm not trying to convince you it's good, i don't give a shit

I didn't like The Witcher 3, because the combat is pretty bad. Breath of the Wild is okay, but has some serious flaws. Neither of them "redefined the genre" in any way especially when you compare BotW to the first two Zelda games or Ocarina of Time which are objectively masterpieces. If I had to pick games that deserve the 'Most Overrated Games This Generation Award' then I'd say it's definitely these two.

>we really like how XYZ game dont hold your hand!

We've heard this same shit from devs for decades.

In terms of structure, the only game that comes close is Fallout 2, but it has an entirely different premise. I can’t think of other action game that just lets you tackle the final boss when you feel like it and has a completely open main-story structure. In terms of execution, only some roguelikes come close to all the systems stuff, but BotW applied this in a way that was never seen before in action games. It is not like the game doesn’t have any predecessors, but it is a pretty big deal on its own. Everyone that works with both open world structures and systems-based gameplay already said so.

when you break down everything to the most basic, simplest terms everything an be a Marvel film. Fuck, that would mean Zelda's been a Marvel franchise since the last three decades and going on strong with BotW.

Horizon zero dawn

better open world than RDR2

Attached: Horizon-Zero-Dawn-Update-1-21-Full-Patch-Notes-1024x577.jpg (1024x577, 113K)

They're not even the same genre.

Are you a marketing intern at Nintendo America

Literally minecraft.

FUCK no. HZD is utter trash and I've played it. RDR2 looks better, plays better, has a better story, has better content.

>they are still trying
Just let go

>RDR2
>plays better

It's a clunky piece of shit.

>zelda, an even more bare bones casual rpg must be like marvel to then!!11!

Yeah thanks it seems you understand the basic point I was trying to make.

>it looks a lot like generic Ubisoft open-world shit
It even has the shitty Ubisoft towers.

Witcher 3 obviously inspired many modern open World games such as the recent AC games or Horizon zero dawn probably more.
Basically the whole non custom protagonist engaging in side quests that are story focused.

Zelda 3 didn't inspire anything its just Japan coping currently active open world games and adding a bunch of physics to them.
MGSV did ti before Zelda actually.

Another thinly veiled east VS west thread?
Why isn't Yea Forums split into Japanese and non-Japanese vidya?

Nobody was comparing Zelda to Marvel you autistic faselflagger

Only W3

>retard doesnt understand the point, makes argument in favour of the opposition

Yes W3 is as shallow as both marvel and tloz

The side quests are a generic fare as well my friend. The game is written out like a C-list Game of Thrones fanfic. There is no sense of tone, no feeling of consequence or urgency, no sense of pacing. The only thing I'll give it is character development. Geralt is completely vapid but some characters, like the baron, are well done.

>Does nothing new
>All discussion about the game already died
>Nobody plays multiplayer
>The only thing RDR2 has to its name is sales
Ouch.

Witcher 3 came out a year before HZD. HZD was in development for 4 years.

Witcher 3 took more from the AC games than other way around. The first two Witcher gaames were much different tones

Dude go read a fucking book or something to get an actual idea of good writing please.

>There is no sense of tone, no feeling of consequence or urgency, no sense of pacing.
Just like in BotW.

How can BOTW be considered influential when it's only imitating mechanics that have existed in other games in some state or another? Using fire to burn grass has existed in farcry for ages now, most rougelikes have object states that react to the world around them in more ways than 'hot make fire cold make ice' caveman mechanics. Physics gimmicks have been done to death.

BOTW is a highly polished iterative masterpiece, but innovative? God no, it's highly derivative.

isn't that just what games have always been striving to do better? of course we've heard it for decades, that's like the main struggle of designing good games. you must think you're so clever

Neither. Both just tried to be open world games, that's not really redefining anything.
I like both, by the way.

Nice reading comprehension

I'm not defending botw, I haven't even played it. I merely think TW3 is a shit game with great presentation and a compelling power fantasy.

>best writing
>protagonist is one of the most generic, terribly written, 2d flat character I've seen in a long time
>co lead ciri is a literal Mary sue

Ahahah..ahahaha oh wait you're serious let me laugh even harder ahahahahHahahahahahahahahHHHahahahhaha

BOTH WRONG

Attached: qwe_download.jpg (1280x854, 168K)

Neither. Great games but no impact on industry.

Too much work for the profit. Hiring actually skilled developers means paying them more, and making them work ridiculous hours so they can finish their own work.

>literal Mary sue
Don't use words that you don't know the meaning of, child.

>There is no sense of tone, no feeling of consequence or urgency, no sense of pacing
All of these are wrong though, The Witcher has excellent tone and your consequences are very clearly laid out in major changes as well as small effects, The game is literally famous for character consequence and dark tones. There no hard urgency moments like in the final stage of a Metroid game or something, but there still plenty going on that can get you felling like its "time" to do a quest.

Minecraft is structured around crafting, it is a completely different thing. Games can be structured with a narrative, by going left until the game ends, with locks and keys... Minecraft is progresses as you learn to craft stuff and the need for crafting material drives exploration and sets the pace of the game. BotW is structured around exploring a physical space, with the geometrical configuration of said space serving as the biggest drive for the game. This is described on the design document someone posted in this thread earlier.

>its a super big deal when a nintendo game receives the same praise other games have received and must my toddler game is totally genre defining!!!

Still trying to turn this thread into consolewars, huh?

I prefer botw but it's a fucking crime that so few people played XCX; amazing game.

Dont tell me a video game has good writing if you havent picked up a book since middle school.

Agreed. Ciri isnt really a Sue

Geralt is the real Gary Stu

>Xenoblade fag is trying to start consolewars
>Not this sperg lord

Didn't play the witcher but botw was without a doubt an overrated stinky piece of shit.

i don't think you're looking at the big picture of what BOTW does, you're just reducing individual mechanics to something that exists in nethack

I have yet to meet someone in person who hates botw. I'm curious if shitters are a super vocal minority that want lttp7 or if they even played the game.

unironically, HZD world was a complete mystery, every area was something new and the game aesthetic helped this in many, many ways
>collpased and destroyed buildings
>frozen lands
>desert areas
>lush forests
all filled with unpredictable robot dinosaurs
NPSc and towns are pretty bland, but I never really had that feeling of wonder while playing BoTW (I'm a huge zelda fan btw) and especially RDR2.
RDR2 is like westworld, in a sense that everything is so close to real life its pretty meta
>wow, look how the developers managed to do THIS, astonishing
>wow, another easter egg! those madmen at R*

Zelda, on a side note, was focused on exploring and trying to solve the same puzzles, but in different areas
>thunderstorm, I can kill the enemies throwing steel weaponry
>hot desert level, better cook cooling food
>cold mountains levels, better cook hot food

they are great games, but HZD stood out a little more for me

but if you REALLY want to know what I consider the best open world from past years,
pic related

Attached: 2859529-kc_deliverance_talmberg_hill.jpg (1280x720, 189K)

Ah.. soo.. less innovative than minecraft then lol okay carry on.

>Don't tell me a video game has good writing
Do you see anything about writing in my post, child?
>Geralt and his kind is hated all over
Automatically disqualified

more like east vs fast east

>how is jazz innovative? it is only taking harmonic and melodic concepts from western music and mixing it with african rythms and attitudes

Great argument for the game

>well the co protagonist wasnt a Mary sue... but the main guy he sure was!

jesus, it's like you're arguing improvements in 3d graphics don't matter because 3d graphics were already made

great world, bad game

>He's totally hated...except he gets to prove people wrong and they all have to rely on him and throw themselves at him and begrudgingly admit he's super special awesome
>Oh did we mention he's super special awesome even amonst a group that's already super special awesome?

Yea, that's what a Stu is user

>replies to a comment that is talking solely about writing
>I wasnt talking about writing

I was you fucking retard so by replying to me you entered a conversation about writing.

Reminder every game pales in comparison to dorf fort when it comes to open world features and mechanics. Please don't use garbage like Farcry as comparative examples when DF exists. By this thread's definition of innovation and influence dorf fort is the absolute best game ever made and every game made since 2006 draws heavy inspiration from it

>buying into PR
>when PR praises a DIFFERENT GAME
there is nothing for them to win if you go buy BOTW you cretin.

Pretty much, story and combat suck (especially when you get mechs), but the world, exploration and side quests are all great.

>You entered a conversation about writing
Congratulations, you have some functioning brain cells. My post was about someone being a Mary Sue, which you ignored because the rest of your brain cells are damaged. Stop eating that glue already kid.

open world isn't a genre it's a gameplay feature

>4-8 hours of tight, concise level design>30+ hours of open world shit

The game has no consequences though. Not once is gameplay directly effected drastically by your choices. Worst case scenario a plot NPC diea, but the game moves as planned. Even shit Mass Effect and Dragon Age would kill off party members. Alpha protocol would ramp up mission difficulty based on poor previous decisions. Geralt howevef suffers no tangible consequences from his actions besides melodrama.

>>Oh did we mention he's super special awesome even amonst a group that's already super special awesome?
He's a glorified rat exterminator.

>Yes, that's what a Stu is
The Stu/Sue is someone that is perfect, faces no challenge, no opposition, is liked by everyone, and has no flaws, usually is a master of everything. Geralt is a sterile mutant with cat eyes that half the continent either fears or hates. His personality is that of a sloth and he's only proficient in swords.

Her being a Mary sure is related to how she was written. She couldn't be or not be one unless it was written that way Lmfao imagine actually being this stupid.

>Does nothing new
Everything it does is highly ambitious. Having to cock single action revolvers and rifles is something that's never been done before, and that's just the guns. To say nothing of the scope of things you can do in the game with fully voiced interactions.
>All discussion about the game already died
Because there's nothing negative to say about it, the game came and was well received and left. BOTW gets daily threads because 50% of the board thinks the game sucks and the other 50% thinks it's the greatest thing ever. Not really a good look honestly
>Nobody plays multiplayer
hearsay
>The only thing RDR2 has to its name is sales
and dozens of awards.

>has absolutely no defense for his statement just insults

Classic signs of a defeated user who is too stupid to give up.

>hated all over
Oh yeah, he suffers from an occasional insult. He can still roam freely, fuck any bitch, disrespect every monarch, and murder every monster

>highly ambitious
Ah yes, shitty cumbersome controls, railroaded quests that you fail if you so much as step on a rock wrong, ambition!

>WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT NEW CARS GETTING PRAISE? THE MODEL T DID THE WHOLE CONCEPT FIRST

>I was talking about her being a Mary sue not about the writing

Do you even realize how stupid you sound? One can't exist without the other.

>Still no argument
>The only thing he can do is strawman and ignore what was said
HAHAHAHHAHAH Don't use terms you don't know the definition of children.

Attached: naga pathetic.jpg (1280x720, 144K)

>video game awards as a metric for success

People still do this? We didnt learn anything in 2011? It makes you sound like a child

Story aspects heavily changing based on decisions don't count as consequence because? Why? That's still a consequence.

Even if it wasn't, your point isn't even true. Plenty of choices change events that Geralt has to go through. There are plenty of quests where deciding to drop a character dead or fail to investigate something changes the events. Theres the Novigrad quest where if you jump the gun accusing someone you miss an entire vampire fight and Geralt is never any wiser, Theres the Gwent quest where your choices lead to side fights, a battle, a sex scene, or you can literally ignore all of it and keep playing the Children's card game. Your decisions throughout the story change who shows up to help at the siege of Kaer Morhen, and having to few people can result in multiple character deaths

>People still do this?
Do you not go to BotW threads?

>smug anime girl
>buzzwords
>I know you are but what am I
Weak bait user I'm gonna reply because I know you're pretty new and I feel sorry for you. Come on man what did you watch a video from 2010 on how to shitpost on Yea Forums? Weeeeeaaaaakkk.

>Both game had little impact on industry.
Yeah. If we ignore that EA, Sony, Ubisoft and Rockstar tried to emulate Witcher 3.

Model T wasn't the first car you tard. The Benz Patent-Motorwagen was.

Why bring up anything else when shitposters shitpost? They have no arguments when a game has not only sales but awards too. If you want to have an actual conversation with actual criticism, people will engage you appropriately.
>Hey guys, Ciri is a Mary Sue
>Stop using words you don't know
>YOU DON'T ACTUALLY THINK THE WRITING IS GOOD, DO YOU FUCK YOU REEE
Autistic child: Zero
Me: One

no bros... this can't be happening...

i meant model t was closer to the mass production idea of what we think of as cars today, not the first car ever, though by these definitions of what makes something good that must be the greatest car for sure

>but if you REALLY want to know what I consider the best open world from past years,
>pic related
can I ask why?

Haven't played Zelda but Witcher 3 is a glorified Ubisoft game and didn't redefine shit.

BOTW hasn't been out for long enough to actually have a change at affecting new AAA open world games, but it probably won't outside of devs maybe doing away with some quest markers.

The Witcher 3 wasn't that original when it came out honestly, the only standout thing about it was the story and like one side storyline with the baron.

Attached: 1527881642273.jpg (373x391, 39K)

Only a total brainlet would say this. I'm not even going to mention the technological advancements that came with the Witcher 3 that set the standard for future open world games, but in terms of design as well games after it were very influenced.
Only someone who doesn't play games wouldn't realize this.

What genre? If you mean the industry, probably The Witcher 3, only due to how long it's been and how developers have tried to emulate it's success.

We probably won't see developers try to emulate Breath of the Wild until next year or 2021 at least. That being said though, The Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild didn't really innovate anything, the only thing that makes them stand out is the polish and detail.

A better comparison would be Hydlide and Legend of Zelda 1. Hydlide invented the action-adventure genre yet LoZ 1 is often seen as the first one, because it's all around a so much better designed game. BotW didn't really have that. There are good aspects although in my opinion it did more wrong than right. It's a clear case of quality over quantity. Weapon durability, Ubisoft towers, huge map, huge inventory, etc etc none of that adds to the games enjoyment. It's the opposite.

>Witcher 3 is a glorified Ubisoft game
end your pathetic life you retarded piece of shit

After you Mr "it has fancy cutscenes and decent writing so that means it's not a generic as fuck open world game!"

Witcher will wind up having its dna in more games because it’s much safer to copy and requires less work. You already know you can sell the game off a pretty skybox and MASSIVE, LIVING OPEN WORLD, all you need is a trailer for e3 showing that and a generic quest with lots of additional scripting you’ll never actually see and bam, you win.

Yes, that's literally true. Generic open world games are items collectathons and typically have dog shit stories.

neither of these games redefined anything. Is this a bait thread?

Attached: 11420866_875243832522952_2102215533_n.jpg (627x627, 65K)

Sorry. I'll correct myself.
Witcher 3 is a glorified Ubisoft game with a moderately interesting main story and some pretty well written side quests quests, and didn't redefine shit.

smart user

>W1 and 2 at least kept some sense of the books. W3 is literally a MCU movie

This is just wrong. I'll never understand why CDRP gave Geralt amnesia in the first two games when book and Witcher 3 "experienced veteran" Geralt is far more unique and interesting.

Zelda is literally just nostalgia bait for weebs. How on Earth it redefined the genre? Isn't it just a copy of old games with better graphics? Also it's totally forgotten already.

>*whistles for magic horse*
>*autoruns on road to quest marker*
>*toucan sam vision activates*
>"Mhmm....giant slash marks all over the victim....a Drowner™, gotta be"
>"Come on, Roach"
>*follows nose*
>*guys in Drowner™ costumes appear*
>"OY BLOODY 'ELL FUCKING CUNT SHIT FUCK CUNT, IT'S A FUCKIN' WITCHER IT IS! GET 'EM"
>"Shit you stink" ALALALALALALALALA *sets guys on fire and they stumble and recover immediately, does a cinematic slash and cuts guys in half*
>"Mhmm....Bandits™ pretending to be Drowners™......better tell the village head about this"
>"Come on, Roach"
>*autoruns on road back to village*
>"OY BLOODY FUCK CUNT WITCHAH, WOT ABOUT DA CONTRACT WESE PAIDS YA FOR YA BLOODY FUCKING CUNT?"
>"Just some bastards posing as Drowners™, here's proof" *shows flipper*
>"OY KURWA, HERE'S YA REWARD DA WHOLE VILLAGE CHIPPED IN"
>"Drowning in Danger" Complete AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>10 crowns received

Attached: 1449198853578.jpg (1242x1000, 215K)

witcher didnt redefine anything, it just took the formular and executed it better than anyone else. For Zelda its just out for about 2 years and to early to tell, atleast the chemistry engine will be seen more now

you want to know what REALLY redefined the genre? skyrim. it's the dang truth, it may not be ideal but it is what it is

thats becuse you cant

How? Skyrim is more or less exactly the same as Oblivion, which is very similar to Morrowind.

>Ubisoft game
Name a single similarity the Witcher 3 has with any Ubisoft open world game before it besides being open world.

The Witcher 3 massively upped the gold standard of story telling quality expected of an Open World title, which clearly inspired subsequent AAA games to try and focus on that aspect.

yes I can. The most revolutionary thing Witcher 3 brought on the technological front was 0 loading screens even when walking into buildings. Literally every other studio stepped their shit up after W3.

because it sold a gorrillion copies and lit a fire under the asses of every AAA dev

>*runs in an empty field for 5 minutes*
>sees copy and pasted pig monster outpost guarding a chest
>smashes the attack button until the weapon breaks
>gets hit and have only one heart left
>oh no, better open the menu to pause everything and eat some food to restore my hearts!
>norm norm norm norm
>*slaps stomach* hnnnnnnhhh
>all the hearts restored
>kills all the monsters
>ding ding ding ding
>opens chest
>DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUUUHHHH (receives arrows x5)
>*teleports to shrine*
>*puts metal ball to hole*
>MASTER LINK YOU’VE PROVEN TO BE RESOURCEFUL AND WISE THE FUTURE OF HYRULE IS IN YOUR HANDS
>DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUUUHHH (receives wooden stick x 1 and a spirit orb)
>leaves shrine, sees a pebble on the ground
>no way, this can’t be......
>YAH YAH YAH YWAH HEH HEH
>DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH (receives kora seed #1278)
>”LINK THE BLOOD MOON RISES ONCE AGAIN NOW YOU CAN DO ALL THESE ALL OVER AGAIN!”

Attached: IMG_20190302_153933.jpg (1280x720, 147K)

That's a fallacy, you're not talking to some monolithic entity known as "Yea Forums" (whatever the fuck "Yea Forums calls" is supposed to mean).
You're discussing video games with an individual that you can't assume much about, which is part of the beauty of anonymity, the whole thing this website you're using is based off of, remember? Now, get some reading comprehension in your life and attack his point, rather than relying on this ominous "Yea Forums said" garbage. Faggot.

Attached: flames.jpg (800x800, 292K)

And yet to this day barely any games actually ended up copying it's core formula.

>the witcher 3 made open world games even more unbearable than they used to be
Thank you CDPR.

Neither redefined shit, they both just bought into trends that were massively popular in the west (partly due to Skyrim) and became massively popular as a result.
Same thing CDPR is doing with Cyberpunk, they don't do anything innovative, just follow the trends for success.

FPBP

>reviewers and devs are also starved nintendo fans

This, but unironically. Fuck open world cucks.

They both demonstrated atypical things that I heavily believe will be ignored.

Witcher 3 demonstrated that open world games with decent writing, modest mechanics and a substantial throwback to expansion packs as DLC rather than nickel and diming can work tremendously, on top of some usually low price easy-in DLC's they released early on.

Breath of the Wild demonstrated that breaking Nintendo conventions can work, and (pun intended) breathe fresh tones into an old franchise that, while still sold, was still beginning to buckle under its predecessors.

Until Cyberpunk 2077 and whatever next main-game Zelda comes out, I can't say if I'm right, but in an age of companies like EA vomitting the opinion that single player games are dead, crashing and burning yet still fighting on with the same bullshit business models, I'm not optimistic. Vidya industry will vidya industry, and outliers who strike a fresh (or even retread old fertile grounds) paths are ignored in favour of the normie conventions that "kind of" work.

tl;dr As much as I'd like these two games to have made an impact, I doubt they have.

neither have redefigned anything, but the witcher 3 has a far bigger impact on the industry than that botw shit

based

Attached: witcher3 2019-02-19 00-39-23-33.jpg (3840x2160, 686K)

Witcher 3 is pretty much the dictionary definition of "AAA console trash" so it didn't reinvent shit.

If there is one game that shows just how casual and normalfag a lot of people on Yea Forums really is it's Witcher 3.

how many games have had inspiration from BOTW since besides odyssey?

Besides its not like having the most influence is a good thing anyways. Just look at battle royal and moba shit before that. Souls rip-offs were also a trend and most of those weren't good either.

Yes, in terms of story - not the main story, that sucks the sidestorys tho- it showed how they are supposed to be handled in th egenre. It feels like witcher 3 is the first game that actually evolved the genre since skyrim put a stop to it by just adding a shitton of content and calling it quits

botw is too good for the brainlets on Yea Forums

>Neither redefined shit, they both just bought into trends

I must have been missing the trend of paragliding and redirecting lightning then. Faggot

>not the main story, that sucks
No, it doesn't, you asshat. It's a very well told and engaging rescue mission that touches on many aspects and characters in the setting and their effect on the world. What fucking Magnum Opus are you comparing the Witcher with to claim it's main story is bad?

BotW is the definition of empty open world and your IQ has to be at room temperature to enjoy it.

>Souls rip-offs were also a trend
Were they? The only one I can think of is that shitty Polish or something game that nobody liked, and their other sci-fi game, which nobody played.
Does that awful F2P game made by Suda51 count?

and yet, it's the best open world. Even the witcher devs agree.

It's clearly not empty, not is that essentially a flaw in and of itself if the game's focus is exploration, it's just that the things filling it aren't particularly engaging and there no hub or focal points to switch the pace, which the game definitely suffers for.

Fuck off zoomer
Filling it with garbage like koroks and shrines doesn't make it any less empty. Remove the low qualit copy&paste shit and the world is empty

>urgency
none there since the game always throws other unrelated stories at you you rather want to do

the story just resets everytime you go to the next area with "ciry might be there" bullshit. most you do has no bearing on the story which could be concluded in about 1/5 of the time you actually have to spend for it

>and yet, it's the best open world.
It doesn't even come close to GTA SA.

>doesn't make it any less empty
It objectively does. It's perfectly valid to not find that content all that engaging, I got bored of it rather quickly, but in the end it's still content and it fills the world fairly densely with it. RDR2 was much more barren in comparison.

>I have no argument so I'll call him a zoomer

Ignore Yea Forums autism and get the game. If you enjoy GoW then you will enjoy Witcher 3

Nintendo bonus op

>but in the end it's still content and it fills the world fairly densely with it
Quality > quantity user, otherwise you get shit like Skyrim.

>I have no argument
Neither do you, zoomer.

you're right, as botw is way better

>it showed how they are supposed to be handled in the genre
Only in story though. In gameplay they are the absolute gold standard in how NOT to make side quests.

It's pretty good, but I wouldn't say it was well told since it never solved the problem most open world games face where there is a massive disconnect between the open world elements and the story elements. In fact in you could argue it's even worse here since the story is so emotionally focused while the gameplay itself is the opposite. Also what sad. While the individual "episodes" were really well made and damn interesting, the whole "series" arc of chasing Ciri was not until quite late into the game.

>If you enjoy GoW then you will enjoy Witcher 3
Except GoW is arguably far better than the Witcher 3 at cinematic combat.

I want you to die in the worst way possible.

How is "Finding Cire" bullshit when it's the focus of the entire story, retard? There are plenty of instances where the game can make taking a certain action seem urgent, it's just that there are few instances of hard caps on your actions, which is an excellent gameplay decision. The Whoreson Junior questline for example I can distinctly remember producing a feeling of urgency for me. There is no hard time limit on completing those missions whatsoever, but the game still made me want to do each section subsequently and quickly despite there being alternative side quests at the time.

>Only in story though
yes, gameplay sucks dick, even walking feels bad. No idea how they managed to fuck up that badly

>as botw is way better
Can't touch SA characters, silly story, missions and music.

Fill it with too much shitty copy paste content and you get garbage like Shadow of Mordor though.

I do, though, as I said TW3 devs agree that it's a better game. The evidence is already in this thread.

No?

BotW revolutionised a stale game series. No devs have ever claimed it did anything for the industry as a whole.

If you genuinely believe BotW would have done nearly as well without the Zelda title, you are delusional. WIthout Link it's just another sandbox open world game with physics like various indie titles on PC.

It might have got praise and been called a cool new IP, but you can guarantee it would lose a full 15 points instantly since game journos would not arbitrarily ignore all the game's flaws. BotW might actually be one of the most overrated games in existence.

the whole red baron ark is unrelated, you just do it because he dowsnt want to tell you what he knows until you help him. If Geralt was that urgent then he could have forced him to tell him. Its all bullshit and not well executed. also ludonarative dissonance

Okay? Skyrim is also very dense open world game where you're continually running into random events, dungeons, dragons every five steps. Again, it's perfectly valid to not find it engaging but the world is dense with it nonetheless.

Words have meanings. Try figure out what they are before you open your gob.

The TW3 never said it's the best game you moron and even if they did it doesn't mean it is the best game. You drones are fucking retarded holy shit

who plays GTA for the story?

To be fair using the TW3 devs as an authority for what makes a good open world game might not be the best idea, considering they made TW3 and all.

Both were kinda meh for me, with both doing a few really cool things.

The Witcher 3 had garbgo combat and the world wasn't fun to explore because it tells you where everything is and what everything is. It's just going around collecting question marks to be a completionist, not actual exploration. However the writing for a bunch of side quests were really quite good.

BOTW also has garbo combat, only even more garbo. The weapon breaking system is tedious and does not make the game more fun at all, in fact it makes it way less satisfying to find a cool weapon. The way weapons respawn makes this even worse. The story was also meh on meh, and most of the content is lazily recycled puzzle rooms. However the physics you could mess with were pretty great and there was a ton of detail to the world.

imho both deserve more around 85 - 90 than their actual scores, mostly due to the actual gameplay/combat in being being really bad.

>BotW revolutionised a stale game series
If previous Zelda was in a stale situtation, the n BotW is the rotting process given Nintedno just made it open world instead of fixing the clear issue that plauged the series after 1998.

Yes but even the Red Baron ark when he declares he and his men are attacking the swamp, is portrayed as and can feel like an urgent request to go straight to the village to join them, even though it's not and you can take your sweet time. The Baron hanging himself or being able to help his wife also has an effect on the Ciri's endgame decision.

>even if they did
lmao nice damage control, they literally admit it does a better job of open world and that it raises the bar for the genre.
true, but this is a TW3 vs BotW thread

I think it would have still done well if it was a Nintendo first party, even with a new IP. If it was a Ubisoft multiplat game it would have gotten much much lower scores though.

>Words have meanings. Try figure out what they are before you open your gob.
Nah dude Skyrim was trash because there was nothing but level scaled enemies and dungeons.

Okay, as I already said thats a valid opinion, but Skyrim isn't an "empty" game.

Who doesn't? Otherwise we'd never have all these train and Ryder memes, all BotW was more fags posting furshit and twink Link.

Not him but SA genuinely has one of the most well made open world stories around. It's pretty sad to see just how little of that Rockstar took with them when making their newer games like GTAIV.
It's not War and Peace obviously, but it did something a lot of games forget, that the story is supposed to carry, focus and channel the gameplay, not the other way around.

Nice backpedalling you idiot. TW3 devs never said BotW is the best open world game ever, which is what you claimed.
>it does a better job of open world and that it raises the bar for the genre.
That doesn't mean it's a better game, you close minded idiot. Everyone knows BotW did a perfect job at making an open world, the game itself is mediocore though. It's one step forward and two steps backwards

>but Skyrim isn't an "empty" game.
In a way it is because no matter how much you accomplish the world never changes thanks to all those encounters and missions. It's all halfassed.

That makes it shallow, not empty

see

Forsworn, draugr, dragons, bear/lion/wolves, spriggan, falmer, bandits, and dwemmer dungeons was more content than 2-3 60$ games combines at the time.

Not an argument, idiot. I already talked about that article. Learn to read

>SA genuinely has one of the most well made open world stories around. It's pretty sad to see just how little of that Rockstar took with them when making their newer games like GTAIV.
Lol what? GTA SA's story was one of the most in-cohesive stories in the series. GTA IV is the peak of the series' story writing because Rockstar put their maximum effort into the writing.

what else would raising the bar in terms of its open world mean besides being a better open world as I said?

Again, quality > quantity especially if it's all level scaled mobs.

This is such a bullshit argument against the witcher 3. The quests aren't any more shallow than literally any other RPG out on the market, and that includes Morrowind or New Vegas, or BotW.
People are just grasping at straws to push this but there is no basis. If it was true, then all RPGs out there suck not only the Witcher 3.

You said it's a better game because it has a better open world. I said having a better open world doesn't automatically make it a better game. Is that simple enough for you?

>Ubisoft, EA, Rockstar, etc. have been making open world games for a decade or even longer
>genre is stagnating
>Nintendo shows up
>having no background in AAA 3D open world development, they decide on a whim "Here, let me try that"
>right off the bat, Nintendo make the best open world game ever made on their very first attempt using a fucking toaster.

This will never not be hilarious.

Attached: 1538802026609.jpg (640x640, 126K)

But you could do 90% of all content at level 1, it's just where you chose to start. So not only did it have untold pal;yer freedom, it also had more content than all games at the time.

This is like the third time I see this comment.

Asscreed copied both Zelda and Witcher....

as an open world game, it is a better game because it's open world design and environment interactions are better in every way, as highlighted in the article - it raised the bar in almost every regard.

Map Size? Biome variation? removing map limiters on players? It's physics were outstanding for maps of that size. BOTW did some things fairly well that other games can learn from but one of those upping the ante doesn't make BOTW a better game overall. It has a lot of flaws and ultimately comes across as similar to the bland ubisoft formula.

Todd ruined Fallout by doing everything said in this comment.

Open world design isn't everything. Are you actually fucking retarded?

>Map Size? Biome variation? removing map limiters on players?
check, check, mostly check (scuppered slightly in a couple regions)

Fallout died when their studio was bought by bethesda. Fallout 3 was not a true fallout sequel.

it is the main point of open world games, the only things TW3 does objectively better than BotW is its narrative and graphics

yes. buy the game, you won't regret it. i guaranty you that.

>having no background in AAA 3D open world development
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time is literally the game that sparked up the 3d open world concept.

I was wondering why blood moon and random encounters (yiga and skeletons) exist in BotW. Then I realized that without them, it would be possible to soft-lock the game by destroying all the weapons in the world.

Attached: 1481983111805.jpg (1024x1186, 210K)

Only 3? kek

boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/Ubisoft, EA, Rockstar, etc. have been making open world games for a decade or even longer

spotted the nintendy

Its two year old pasta. But it never stops being any less funny or true.

And writing, quests, side-quests, enemy variety, music, stuff you can find in the open world, story and so on..

Neither.

Developers can praise BotW all they want, but let's be real here, we're not going to see universal climbing in the next Monster Hunter game, or some sandbox/open world title. It's not an easy feature to implement unlike battle royale modes.

Attached: Kaiji.jpg (485x303, 22K)

Spotted the seething crybaby.

Dude they're just open world garbage. That shit hasn't changed since like asscreed 1.

Yes those were mostly rhetorical. BOTW clearly has improved on aspects, but what I'm saying is that there is clearly a lot that BOTW has introduced for a Witcher 3 producer to be impressed by without necessarily meaning that they think BOTW is objectively the better game. Which is what I believe is what the person was trying to imply.

What devs? People like Todd Howard? Hmm, I'm sure his praising of BotW had nothing to do with the fact that they were releasing Skyrim on Switch and praising a Zelda game is the easiest way to get Nintendies on your side.

TW3 made the game feel extremely dense and interesting no matter where you were. the side quests felt like they were seamless. the variety and attention to detail was practically unrivaled at that point in time. certainly every game studio took a hard look at W3's overall quality. It made it one of the best selling RPG games of all time especially on the PC, and in fact had so many PC sales probably single handedly changed the minds of many devs and publishers towards PC as a viable platform.

narrative is writing dum-dum
>quests
from a narrative point of view? yes, but in terms of gameplay absolutely not
>enemy variety
fair enough
>music
I don't agree, but this is highly subjective and not something that can be objectively quantified at all, so whatever
>story
narrative again

>Dude they're just open world garbage. That shit hasn't changed since like asscreed 1.

I ain't no Nintenbro. I only ever played BotW on cemu. But BotW is definitely a step in the right direction as far as open world game design goes.

it is a better open world, though, which is my point.

>but in terms of gameplay absolutely not
Yeah.. collect I sure love all those "collect X Y's" quests in BotW

>we're not going to see [open world element] in the next Monster Hunter game
Certainly not the next one, but down the line I could definitely see a Monster hunter with total freedom traveling between the Biomes and monsters having preferred habitats but being able to be chased or to get so hungry they need to migrant. Then the story is like World with aberrations in the ecosystem exacerbating the issue. Reducing the time it takes to fight a monster in place of making tracking over long distances a much bigger issue.

>Who redefined the genre more?
Gothic 2

as opposed to the "follow geralt's sniffer vision" in TW3? sure

>Gothic 2
Take your good taste and get the fuck outta my shitty thread.

Fair enough. Map wise alone it certainly exceeds the Witcher 3 but I'm not sure I'd say it's an overall better game.

>Follow Geralts toucan vision
>Find unique enemies and interesting story
>Collect X Y's
>Here's 50 rubies!

The witcher universe is fucking boring as hell. It's just polaks with magic and shit.

In what way? Not one of them has super satisfying combat or deep mechanics. They all just involve going from point of interest to point of interest and doing super simple shit.

Honestly this is more of an issue on BotW's part after the series has being doing the same collect "X' ten, twenty thirty times for a reward since Ocarina.

Attached: 4510514518745.png (493x320, 15K)

>children's lite game gets a better rating than witcher 3

Never played Zelda game because it's shit for consolefags. How is it genre changing?

?

Attached: hu.png (696x185, 36K)

>TW3 quest
>be told exactly what to do and pointed exactly to where you need to go to do it
>everything is as scripted as possible, down to the point where certain quests won't even progress unless using sniffer vision

>botw quest
>be given a vague riddle or info about something
>explore the environment to locate what you were hinted at
>solve some environmental puzzles, such as chopping down a tree and riding it down a river to reach the goal

It's not. It's just a skyrim special edition for people who never graduated from handhelds

??

Attached: sc34.png (559x634, 104K)

Yeah, the LoZ series has always had rewards for exploration and backtracking with new items, but BOTW made it a huge focus of content and theres to much of it that's too similar. It's like a game from the 3d platforming era. Collecting eventually just becomes a slog. Very little in BOTW really feels significant.

1st showed that majority of devs fuck their customers
2nd had some design choices i guess?

Not an argument.

why do people suck off botw

OOT is the most groundbreaking zelda title

I'll never understand Yea Forums and other manchildren obsession with shit like zelda, mario, pokemon, KH and other meh games for literal kids. Duckling syndrome at it's finest I guess.

Attached: 1549736531988.jpg (178x182, 3K)

>BOTW gets daily threads because 50% of the board thinks the game sucks and the other 50% thinks it's the greatest thing ever.

Attached: for free.png (904x884, 287K)

>being a faggot that still buys cheap nintendo consoles isn't relevant

see

While it does upset me and I'll give BotW slack for repeating this form of questing, I'm glad there's a balance to it. In WW, these formed a good chunk of the side quests.

>Collect X Y's
>Go to area
>Collect stuff
>Quest done
That's your average BotW quest.
>explore the environment to locate what you were hinted at
So run around and seek stuff? Is that supposed to be fun?
>solve some environmental puzzles
Never ever happens.
>such as chopping down a tree
Only happens once on the great plateau. You're never getting that opportunity again, you also have Revalis G*le.
>riding it down a river to reach the goal
Not a puzzle, also barely ever happens
>everything is as scripted as possible
Still better than having freedom and collecting shit
>down to the point where certain quests won't even progress unless using sniffer vision
Wrong. This literally never happens. You can even see the traces without the sniffer vision

Not much. They're making it open world at the expense of what made the series good. It's basically the Fallout 3 of Zelda.

Nice reading comprehension. This website is not the Reddit you're used to, there's no username you can autistically comb through to find the user's preference in games and consoles. You're talking to an anonymous person on an anonymous imageboard, stop settling for Facebook-tier namecalling as the crux of your "argument" and participate like the people you're trying to sperg out on.

???

Attached: 4510514518745.png (640x756, 77K)

Oh Yeah. Windwakers was something fucking else. It amazes me how my brain manages to suppress the trauma from that fucking section of the game, making me think it might be fun to replay the game. Then I get there, it all floods back in, and I just have to drop it. Twilight Princess tutorial had nothing on the bullshit of Windwaker's midgame.

have you even played botw? environmental problem solving and puzzles are like half the bloody game. It's also full of quests based on figuring out riddles that typically require knowledge of the area. There's a few puzzles, for example, that use shadows cast by objects to solve.
>Only happens once on the great plateau
wrong, there's a shrine in the icey gerudo highlands that can only be reached via chopping a tree and riding it downstream through a cave-like opening.

????

Attached: sc35.png (379x161, 37K)

They can say whatever they want, mate. It's just a words. I want to see an actual examples of how Zelda influenced the genre. I've seen few attempts to ape TW3. Never seen anything trying to emulate Zelda though.

Did you really type out all of that just because somebody called you a nintendo faggot?

Attached: 155768654768.gif (480x320, 3.87M)

WW had the benefit of being the underdog title on an underdog console, that's my explanation for how it could get away with so much bullshit. Like this.

Attached: Explain this WWfags.webm (640x360, 2.52M)

Sad for actual Zelda fans, I guess. Why are they eating this up then?

there's examples in the article, and anything I post would be "just words" to you, apparently.

>environmental problem solving and puzzles
Did you? Last time I did I did a quest where I had to collect some butterflies. Where's the fucking puzzle? I just went to the areas they spawn in and collected them. The only "puzzle" was putting on the fitting clothes on the volcano so I don't die while collecting fire butterflies

it's pasta

You know, if there's one thing I'm sure of more than anything else about these games. It's that everyone here in this thread are a bunch of fucking faggots

Attached: 1387862228117.gif (239x240, 1.73M)

>Why are they eating this up then?
Because metacritic gave them a digit which somehow justifies the flaws of the game. Kinda like Fallout 3. Sure the game has it's high points and its lows, but it is pretty sad to see it happen.

pretty sure there isn't even a quest to literally collect butterflies, but there's puzzles everywhere, especially for shrine quests - and no, I'm not referring to the puzzles inside of of a shrine.

>justifies
*Should've said brushes away

Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on Yea Forums by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is Yea Forums. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches.

You can just name few games which were inspired by BotW, mate.
AC origins for TW3 for example.

botw only came out 2 years ago, that's not enough time for it to be copied, even to be copied cheaply.

No it isn't

>pretty sure there isn't even a quest to literally collect butterflies
Go to the stable in the upper right of the map and talk to the little girl. The stable next to the tower
>but there's puzzles everywhere
Certainely not in the fetch quests which make up most of the side quests
>especially for shrine quests
Fair enough but they're boring as fuck, especially since there's no story connected to them. It's always just some badly written 1 dimensional character telling you a shitty riddle.
>I'm not referring to the puzzles inside of of a shrine.
Ofcourse not. The shrine quests have empty shrines most of the time

ac odyssey's climbing seems to be at least inspired by botw's approach

>BotW
>TW3
>Both still living rent free in the mental cul de sac of Yea Forumsirgins to this day.

Attached: 1551325093244.jpg (1271x713, 97K)

OOT is the biggest 2d to 3d transition in games arguably, and did it best

BOTW is a fucking tech demo, not a bad game but it isn't revolutionary at all

>physics

fucking half life 2 did it years ago

>I'll never understand Yea Forums and other manchildren obsession with shit like zelda, mario, pokemon, KH
This so much

botw is just cause with a zelda skin.

>GTA 3 is the biggest 2d to 3d transition in games arguably, and did it best
ftfy because it did revolutionized the sandbox genre.

uncharted 2 had more impact on the industry than either. for better or for worse.

>bad games
>not getting praise
>ha..haha r..rent free!

>Certainely not in the fetch quests which make up most of the side quests
shrine quests make up the majority of quests, though, and I don't think a single shrine quest is a fetch quest - they're usually about locating, well, shrines but typically with an obstacle or puzzle in the way - like the thundra plateau or eventide island, for example.
>especially since there's no story connected to them
I don't play these games for the story, but each to their own. Zelda games especially I don't expect a focus on narrative, it's not what they're about really.

Transition from 2D to 3D is the only big transition OoT undertook, though. I'd say the Zelda title that made the biggest leap was Link's Awakening

You say that like that isn't an utterly massive change and that the way it did that change to 3d so well didn't massively change how other subsequent adventure games would do everything.

lol both these games suck.

>both generic as fuck open world shit
>redefined the genre

fuck off, gothic did everything better and that was like 20 years ago

I'm actually surprised BotW user score isn't higher. Where are all the Nintendo fanboys? Witcher 3 is one of the few big titles that have such close critic and user scores.

BotW. It was a true breath of fresh air
Seriously, having played and loved both, Nintendo did an amazing job making slight changes to the genre by taking inspiration from different games, and the development videos show how great their approach was. I even loved the soundtrack (or lack of it in parts).
I know some people will never like it because empty world bla bla bla, and that's fine. But to me it was incredible.
TW3 was amazing in terms of lore and story, infinitely better than all its competitors, and I love the Poles for actually designing hot women. But aside from great writing and world-building, I can't say it was revolutionary.

I like botw, but it isnt revolutionary, nor is witcher 3

Many games before it did more in the genre

>Gwent

Why? I just did the bloody baron without challenging him once, regardless of the game pushing me to from the beginning.

gothic sucks too, bro. having things one shot you just for walking around is bad game design.

I feel the exact same

It is.

Attached: 05cba675176e47275b1e5b6b2e199dd4.jpg (600x604, 52K)

>threads daily about both games
>hundreds of replies every thread
>mostly Yea Forumsirgins chiming in to echo chamber how much how contrarian they are.

Face it faggot. You post more about either game than the people that actually play them.

Neither, but The Witcher III is the superior game, it almost deserves the 92 score.

BOTW is a 7/10 game without the Nintendo Bonus.

>having things one shot you just for walking around is bad game design.
>not buying the dragon snapper scroll and then you are the one one shotting
Peasant!

Beacuse its fun.

It's a decent money maker down the line, can be fairly challenging until you get a good deck, some quests involve it heavily. It's more of a completion aspect of the game, but it's one that's not overly tiring like collecting Korok seeds.

Attached: 730bf8f421773a69e0f4aed4492b5cf0590fd4ba9eb8a8466096e8da0d1d120b.jpg (500x561, 72K)

I did call it a big transition, though it doesn't necessarily change the structure of the game. LA, on the other hand, had an actual story, and Zelda-games after it would also feature much more story elements (aside from the go-save-the-princess foundation) than the first Zeldas. The biggest change for me is how Link's Awakening handled characters, though. When I think about what sets Zelda apart from other games, I think of the eccentric, weird and suspicious characters you meet throughout the game. This is also something LA pioneered (and did best, in my opinion), and on the technical side, it's maybe not as large of a leap as the 2D -> 3D transition, but it's what makes Zelda unique.
I'm not calling BotW revolutionary, nor do I think it is.

Beacuse BOTW isn't as good as TW3.
And Nintendos deep pockets can't change that.

Attached: 1548184243078m.jpg (1024x722, 114K)

you're right, it's not as good it's better

both are good

being a fanboy is stupid because you ignore good games, why do that.

Fuck that guy, but BW2 is a masterpiece.

There is absolutely no way to change the turn of events in the game outside of some sidequests. It's not an RPG

Ubisofts design philosophy had more influence on the genre than either of these games.

It's only immature kids who are fan boys.

odyssey/origins are a bigger step up for the AC series than zelda did with BOTW imo

it wasn't true to begin with, Monolith's involvement goes against the entire pasta