Build game development studio in the middle of nowhere

>build game development studio in the middle of nowhere
>build apartments for the workers, every employee gets their own 1 room apartment
>common areas for them to do stuff together in their own time
>give them food, maids, concierge, personal assistants etc
>let them choose their own work hours, the studio is open 24/7
>hire developers who are extremely autistic about games
>hire people with no experience and no relevant degree, but like our games, and pay for their education on the condition that they have to work for us for X amount of years or else they have to pay us back
>hire tard wranglers to oversee operations and make sure work is getting done. they don't manage things, but they give regular reports to higher-ups. they also act as consultants
>the regular on site managers are promoted developers
>every year employees write out a top to bottom wish list of what project they want to work on, and we'll try to fulfill it
>keeping your current job just requires a letter from your boss, so only fuck-ups will get denied
>the job you want the least is veto'd outright with 0 chance of you getting placed in it
>25% of a game's profits is shared between everyone who worked on it
>PR team that interacts with the community regularly, takes surveys, and has a "the customer is always right" attitude
>game writers need to submit scripts to developers for approval
>game developers need to submit major ideas to writers for approval
>company is to be strictly apolitical

How successful would this studio be? Would it be a return to the era where tech was fueled by weaponized autism?

Attached: apartment.jpg (1920x1080, 281K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/XAErF4dv
pcgamer.com/uk/the-history-of-ion-storm/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anyone?

>implying I'm not just gonna chill there doing fuck all work
just don't be a cunt, offer good pay and fire people that get turbopolitical

bam, success

>25% of a games profits

Dude, even 5% would be pushing it, thats crazy

This would fucking fail big time

The idea is that people who do nothing will get fired after the first year, and the autists who would do it for free stick around because they choose to work on their project a lot.

Also you're paid based on the amount of time you work. So you could work zero hours and get zero or minimum wage depending on the law, or you could work 24 hours straight and make three times what someone does on their 8 hour workday.

>work 24 hours straight and make three times what someone does on their 8 hour workday.
no overtime bonus means no overtime for me dawg

A company plan like that would be a big sieve for money to pour through and be doomed to fail.

But would it make good games?

You would have to have a fortune already to make this work. Plus vetting the workers would be no easy task. They would have to be very close to you already.

not if it goes bankrupt before even releasing one

You can't do that, you're just asking for your company to fail

Read up on why Atari died in the video game crash, user.

You'd never make money
You'd never get someone yo fund the idea
And you'll never produce an actual game

Not really, that was how Google was set up in the early days, the point is that they hired giganerds who had no life but coding for Google, and the company’s structure rewarded the autism (like 20% your time, free top tier food all hours of the day, etc.)

user’s proposal could be incredibly successful, if all depends what talent he could bring in. I don’t know about some of the details but in general the base is there.

What you're asking for is akin to asking magical genie to finish the game for you.

It would fold in less than a year. Give them a really good deal on the apartment and make it really cheap, but offering it as a free hotel would just bleed money.
>paying for potential future employees' college
LEL, good one
>25% of profits go directly to the devs
Yeah, and not their maids and room service, right?
>no managing, just let everyone work on what they want
Good one, I'd love to see how that game turns out 10 years down the road.
>the customer is always right
>no politics though
Comedy gold. Enjoy trying to pander to the lowest common denominator while vetoing any idea that can be even remotely construed as political by your mouthbreathing fans. No sexy costumes, but no conservative costumes; no gore, but no censoring gore; no sex jokes or sexual content, but no removing sex jokes or sexual content; no firing employees based on personal political conduct but no letting them stay on board when they commit wrongthink or something and the mob demands their firing, etc.

Please do additional research into the business side of making video games before attempting to even come up with anything like this again.
>Employees just work on whatever
>Hope that eventually a game comes out of this
>Then lose money because you gave TWENTY FIVE PERCENT OF THE PROFIT AWAY

>How successful would this studio be
Too many overheads, it would go bust within a few months.

>DUDE JUST HIRE PEOPLE THAT DO STUFF GOOD
Seriously?

Sounds like a financial disaster.
Some kind of a utopist nightmare.

You're paying for their rent, sharing 25% of profits, paying for college educations, and providing maids/concierge/personal assistants? This would only work if you're already rich as fuck. Even then, you're probably going to lose all your money before a game even gets finished.

>build game development studio in the middle of nowhere
Middle of nowhere? You're not going to get a lot of applications.
% of a game's profits is shared between everyone who worked on it
Horrible idea. You need that money to reinvest into marketing. There's a reason people are typically paid salaries rather than equity.
>company is to be strictly apolitical
Physically impossible. You have managers and overseers. Even given a "flat" corporate structure, people will form their own structures.
>game writers need to submit scripts to developers for approval
>game developers need to submit major ideas to writers for approval
So who decides what gets put in?

While you have some innovative ideas, I get the feeling that you're extremely naive as far as how business works.

We can either pay them less or force them to buy the apartment.
>paying for potential future employees' college
>LEL, good one
They have to pay us back if they don't work for us for a certain amount of time. This is actually fairly common in the business world.
>25% of profits go directly to the devs
>Yeah, and not their maids and room service, right?
Profits are revenue minus expenditure. Paying for things like maids and room service would already have priority. Profit is what's left over after all those expenses, and game expenses themselves, are paid.
>no managing, just let everyone work on what they want
>Good one, I'd love to see how that game turns out 10 years down the road.
I don't think I said this. I said that there would be managers among the developer's ranks, and there would be people reporting their activities to the higher ups just to make sure they aren't screwing around.
>Comedy gold. Enjoy trying to pander to the lowest common denominator while vetoing any idea that can be even remotely construed as political by your mouthbreathing fans. No sexy costumes, but no conservative costumes; no gore, but no censoring gore; no sex jokes or sexual content, but no removing sex jokes or sexual content; no firing employees based on personal political conduct but no letting them stay on board when they commit wrongthink or something and the mob demands their firing, etc.
Apolitical is a codeword for no leftist pandering. In an environment with such autism, there's going to naturally be an outflow of pretty characters and tasteful realism. "The customer is always right" just means that we don't shit on our fans if they dislike something, like vidya and movie companies have taken to.

You can't lose money by giving 25% of profits away. Profit = Revenue - Expenses. If they didn't get that money, the shareholders would.

I'm actually not asking this in terms of business. I'm just wondering if it would make good games.

>I'm just wondering if it would make good games.
It wouldn't make any game.

>If they didn't get that money, the shareholders would.
So who would want to invest in your company? Why would anyone fund something where they lose 25% of profit off the top?
Also if you toss all your profit to the devs, how are you going to make the next game?

>I'm actually not asking this in terms of business. I'm just wondering if it would make good games.
No.
Hiring people with no experience = constantly firing people who aren't committed to doing this for a decade.
You'll end up with a small few who have worked at your company for 7 years, while new hires with no experience are still coming in, who will do the slave work for those who are more experienced. Hence defeating the attempt at being apolitical.

Besides that, even if an apolitical company exists: no leadership or decision-makers = no clear vision, purpose or boundaries for a game, making it a muddled mishmash of ideas.

Even most sweatshop studios are running on paper-thin margins. The amount of overhead is ridiculous in this scheme. How about you just drop the entire game studio idea, and just develop apartments in a lucrative market like in step 2 instead.

You gave no relevant financial information so I'd say 0% chance of success.

Attached: RaveyardFuneral.webm (854x480, 2.78M)

build apartments for the workers, every employee gets their own 1 room apartment
>common areas for them to do stuff together in their own time
>give them food, maids, concierge, personal assistants etc

Unless you had literally unlimited money to see this through for a year and kick out the retards, this would fail in the first year. People cant be trusted to work for someone else of their ow volition.

>every year employees write out a top to bottom wish list of what project they want to work on, and we'll try to fulfill it
No. You have living proof "The valve approach" doesn't work. So dont try it. You need more structure. You need someone higher up actively making decisions what everyone's gonna work on.

If valve didn't luck out getting in there first with a monopoly on the digital pc gaming market, they would have ceased to exist a long time ago

You would need a lot of money and id you have a lot of people working on different projects on their own time, you won't get much done. I admit that without deadlines I would be lazy as fuck, especially if we had maids and food

Nobody is going to any real work in that studio and will just party or sleep in.

>employees living together and having to associate with each other outside of work even when performing day to day activities such as laundry

It would fail because they’d all kill each other, no one other than a friendless retard wants to be around work people outside of the 5 day long 40 hour period they’re mandated to be.

I’ve seen you enough.

>If valve didn't luck out getting in there first with a monopoly on the digital pc gaming market, they would have ceased to exist a long time ago
The truth is that they aren't actually a flat structure. People are biologically hardwired to form their own hierarchies. People who work at Valve report that it isn't unlike being in high school.
In high school, there is no hierarchy - on paper. In reality, there is a very strong one.

Any good reads on people's experiences at Valve? It honestly sounds like it would suck, but I guess getting paid well to do nothing wouldn't be that bad.

>no one other than a friendless retard wants to be around work people outside of the 5 day long 40 hour period they’re mandated to be
Explain employees on cruise ships then

This.
pastebin.com/XAErF4dv

It's fucking miserable, trust me

>No. You have living proof "The valve approach" doesn't work. So dont try it. You need more structure. You need someone higher up actively making decisions what everyone's gonna work on.
They aren't guaranteed to work on whatever they'd like. They still have to be distributed where needed. It's just that we'll try and get them that job. The army does the exact same thing when allocating its officers, unlike with enlisted who can choose exactly what job they want.

The employees are going to be anime club-tier. The goal is to create an autism refinery. Most of them are probably going to hide in their apartments anyways.

It just wouldn't work, people aren't going to be around each other that much. Imagine around election time what a shit show i'd be.

Everyone hated it and you’re the scumbag manager douchebag 45 year old childless loser/hag with nothing to live for and no one enjoyed your miserable trip.

This shit would only work with a small team of passionate people, aka the "golden age". Trying to do this in a corporate AAA environment would just lead to you bleeding money like crazy.

All filipino slaves

>This shit would only work with a small team of passionate people, aka the "golden age".
That's pretty much what I'm trying to achieve.

You can build a small team right now without having to socially engineer some weird rat experiment.

>small team of passionate people
You're being contradictory.
If they're really passionate you wouldn't have to bribe them with all these "benefits".

But Google could afford to do that. You really need an ungodly amount of capital to try and make something like this work.

It's not only that, but when you're talking about a startup - you can afford to give out equity to a small number of people who are committed to growing your company for years in exchange.

As the company gets larger, you cannot afford to give equity to everyone.

Would love to know this too, but the seemingly laid back structure within Valve is surely one of the weak points in regards to getting stuff done and individuals fucking with the system like removing games from the store out of their own initiative.

b-but i want maids with cat ears and free apartment and free everything

>How successful would this studio be?
Sounds like the original Ion Storm.
pcgamer.com/uk/the-history-of-ion-storm/

> Within a year the studio would be plagued by turbulent office politics, a slew of public image crises and a host of development problems from which its reputation would never fully recover.
hmmm