Bluepill me on the king's field games

bluepill me on the king's field games.

Attached: kings field.jpg (686x1010, 185K)

>bluepill

It's bad because it's slow.

>redpill

It's good despite being slow.

>truthpill

It's unique for its sense of exploration much like its direct inspiration (Ultima Underworld)

You can die in your first 5 steps.

Two if you're side stepping.

Also Play KF4
It's a legitimately good game, even though people constantly get buttflustered over the controls.

Attached: Kings_Field_IV_Ps2.jpg (354x500, 40K)

exploration and mood is great
combat is like drunks fistfighting underwater

The predecessor to the souls games.

Man I cant wait for Kings Field VR

>implying FromSoftware will ever make another king's field game

let alone dive into the VR market.
Both dead.

>let alone dive into the VR market.

Attached: Derecine_artwork.jpg (273x364, 15K)

KF (jp)
Great dungeon crawler with 5 labyrinths to solve and conquer, also memezakis favorite ps1 game

KF1&2 (usa)
Fantastic exploration RPGs with am emphasis on careful exploration and punishing wrecklessness.

Skeletons will fuck you up if you encounter them early in every one

skyrim for playstation

Also everything in dank souls was stolen from it
KF the ancient city is neat as well but HOLY FUCK ITS SLOW

Attached: alchemine.jpg (406x292, 11K)

Incredible early 3D atmosphere
Not even memeing, pic related is more alien and atmospheric to me than a hundred modern open world games

Attached: KF3_Shot_012.jpg (320x240, 25K)

They're great, but they're also shitty. If you can handle terrible frame rates and hit detection then you'll have fun exploring the melancholic world they have to offer

>same studio
>stolen
souls is definitely not just kings field x tenchu, really, much stole, so infringe

Shadow Tower is better

Attached: 37071-King's_Field_II_[U]-7.jpg (640x480, 37K)

>completely different teams
Sure buddy.
keep thinking souls is original when everything from spider bitches to sinking a city to stave of darkness or even cycles and dragon trees are original at all.
Fuck even evergrace had the world tree before and in a MUCH more interesting way thats barely even brought up in game

Not to mention its all just parts of Froms cinematic universe

Cant wait for sekiro because I like all their shit but it was never once original

got bored with it personally but if you like lolsorandum and PUNISHING memes then sure

i love stealing from myself, i get such a thrill

Attached: BqxHMBQCQAAfuY-.jpg (600x600, 96K)

Emulating these in full HD was so amazing, it all holds up if you like slow paced games and early ps1/n64 visuals

Attached: Velma_Dinkley_(SDMI).png (1920x1080, 1.76M)

So... are there any newer first person RPGs like these or do I actually have to work myself through slow controls and 1990s visuals?

So what's better: Kings Field or Shadow Tower?
what emu settings do you guys recommend for Kings Field

King's Field and Shield.

Aside from taking 10 seconds to do a 360 turn, KF4 is still very playable. Quite clever world design too, filled with secrets, one-way passages and shortcuts. If you liked Souls 1 for its interconnected world design, this game is comparable.

probably never ever
this, The Ancient City is my favorite, I don't know how many times I've replayed it
Shadow Tower Abyss is my second favorite. Love the dream-like atmosphere of it all

But yeah, the controls are shit

>tfw I'm probably the only person to ever even play King's Field 3: Pilot Style
If you like 3 its a nice little bonus game that lets you play as another character from the story before 3 starts. Got about an hour or more of gameplay to it.

Attached: 1406658751589.jpg (500x375, 65K)

tfw early on in every game there's a secret passage with a skeleton and a chest with a shitty leather shield

And audio cues will always tell you where the secret passage. Fuck mashing the button against every all just to get speared after 5 minutes of searching though.
KF usa has the BEST map system though.

But is das2 the real KF5?

>But is das2 the real KF5?
It's like KF3-2, at least.
There's a lot to be said about the parallels between the KF and DaS series. The similarity of the evolution between KF2 to KF3 and between DaS1 to DaS2 is striking- the first game(KF2, DaS1) is a tangled web of interconnected levels that lets you choose your own path, while the second game is much more expansive, but designed as several distinct, linear series of levels that end with you finding one of the four guys you need to unlock a path(Great Souls in the case of DaS2, elemental sages in the case of KF3).
I prefer DaS1 to DaS2, but KF3 to KF2. Funny how that works out.

>I prefer DaS1 to DaS2, but KF3 to KF2. Funny how that works out.
I like you.
It helps that the places in KF3 both make sense and feel right within their own context. DaS2 dropped every marble in that regard but its still easy to have plenty of fun to have with mediocre games.

Attached: 1415849479012.png (2136x1900, 366K)

I was such trash at it, such complete trash. I also played a lot of FPS games on PC like Doom and whatnot, so when Kings Field came out I tried to play it like I would a PC FPS and would just get rocked. I firmly believe that if I could play it again with mouse and keyboard I would do better.

Is KF1 worth playing or should I just play 2-4?

>tfw I'm probably the only person to ever even play King's Field 3: Pilot Style

I did too, what now?

Hm... this guys looks delicious somehow...

Attached: 9485093840.png (1437x809, 1.32M)

Lizardpeople evidently agree

In a PC fps you look at the enemy to attack. In KF and froms other early FPS games you strafe and move your body to avoid enemy attacks and place yourself in striking range. KF is more of a clumsy dance while pc fps is a face paced ballet.
I emulated it with proper gamepad controls, mapped looking to the right stick, and it makes then far more tolerable to me.

KF3 is so good and a satisfiny finale to the trilogy if you played 1jp first. Lots of history between them while 2 is on a separate cursed island.

Threes a reason 4 is called TAC instead of 4, they are barely related yet have calls to so many future and past From games.

the mednafen core in retroarch allows easy overclocking, it helps -somewhat- with KF's godawful framerate drops in rooms with multiple enemies

We become best friends.

Attached: binoculars.jpg (680x453, 47K)

given it ever comes out

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 35K)

Interesting. I turned my old rig into an emulation box, I might revisit the game. If I can be bothered. All I do is download the games but I never play them. I modded an old Xbox but never play it. Just downloaded all the games and shoved it somewhere.

KF2 is so fucking trash. How could they have thought that going from 12 fps to 30 with gamespeed matching it would be a good idea. You try to fight a group of enemies and because how some enemies can lunge off screen and you have to strafe to properly attack it affects performance the entire time and you can end up waking 10 feet instead of 3 even though you held the button the same amount of time.
FUCK

good gaem tho

Attached: 1495509609366.jpg (480x360, 19K)

I meant with ePSXe but I suppose figuring out RetroArch can't hurt too much

If you can get accustomed to taking multiple seconds to do a 180 then you might like it.
It makes you wonder why they made it this way but if you could turn any faster the enemies would be a literal cake walk.

Also Eternal ring is another FPS RPG by from that actually plays much faster than KF and focuses entirely on magic and crafting new spells onto rings with resources rather than being a basic rpg. You dont have a stamina meter so you are always running which makes the game about 3 times more enjoyable yet its overly linear structure drags it down. Only like 2 or 3 level skips

For a moment I thought this was DaS2

this game (Japanese KF2, American KF 1) is fucking god tier.

the sequel isn't as good - it's a lot bigger but not as well designed.

shadow tower is fucking impossible but pretty kino

I haven't finished 4, but it's decent.

Shadow Tower Abyss is supposed to be the secret kino but I haven't actually played much of it yet.

dshhhhhhh

KF1 deepest lore

In it the being that was created by a cosmic entity helps you by completing the moonlight greatsword and is BB final boss not including DLC.

Any thoughts on Armored Core?
Reminder that Fromsoft's original idea for a videogame was a PC dungeon crawler where you controlled a giant mech, and both King's Field and the AC series have elements taken directly from it and reused.

I feel like I can agree with this, though to me KF4 and Shadow Tower are tied for the title of my favorite in the series just because they're equally so atmospheric.

Attached: dSQygf9.png (1090x458, 936K)