Let’s have a spoiler-free hollow knight thread

Was looking for a new game to really dive into and decided on Hollow Knight. I literally just started. What should I know going in?

Attached: 3F11891E-C32F-47F7-AD00-0DA5379D8EFE.jpg (1242x701, 684K)

As little as possible
Play as blind as you can and enjoy the environments and exploration
Seriously, just close the thread and go play it

I should mention I’m starting drunk.

This warning excites me. For the record I am going in completely blind. All I know is that it’s about bugs themed characters and that it’s great.

>trying to do charm binding on pantheon of the knight
Charms don't make you strong, they make you WEAK

>For the record I am going in completely blind
This becomes less and less true the longer you stay here
What's wrong with you?

You're phoneposting so Elderbug lives.

That's good.
The game will teach you the buttons as you go, to, so you don't need Yea Forums to explain anything.
Just enjoy.

Spoilers.
You aren't the Hollow Knight, he's just some shitty nobody grown up version of you from some shitty soulslike abyss holding in some stupid Moth.

I didn’t think I was supposed to be, I just got to Hollownest, how could I actually be playing as the titular character

I thought it’d be fun to chat about as a new player, tips and tricks. Instead of the 100th shitposting thread.

Also thanks user, loving the mood so far

Is Silksong going to be Windows-only? The Steam page doesn't indicated OSX/Linux support like the first game.

Yeah, man you'll find a bunch of places that you just want to hang out in and bask in that sweet atmosphere

Like this little guy singing about dieing with his pickaxe. Wonder what he’s about. Gonna go the other way though since I don’t know if I can help him. Miss him already

a fan favorite character she is

Attached: B386C78B-9BE5-4270-BB13-323CFC242066.png (400x450, 73K)

i just started my download for this. ps+ sale?

Yeah, couldn’t pass it up at 7 bucks.

Oh it’s a she huh? Cute.

same here

you're giving yourself ADHD user
try to enjoy one thing without a barrage of other stimuli

Someone please tell me what the hell should I do in phase 3 of AR? I refuse to attempt Pantheon 5 until I no longer get hit by phase 3 ever again. So many deaths at the fucking top, it's not possible.
What is the best thing to do ? double jump? Fuck those fucking orbs man.

HORNET'S YOUR SISTER

ALL THE BUGS ARE DEAD

YOU'RE A GHOST

PALE KING IS YOUR DAD

YOU'RE A FAILURE, A REJECT, YOU SHOULDN'T BE ALIVE

Vellni artrid.

Attached: Lemm_Desk.png (660x429, 259K)

Well that was easy. Wtf at all the people telling me it was dead because I took to much time to get to hornet.

Attached: ss+(2019-03-01+at+03.58.59).jpg (1920x1080, 115K)

>user makes a thread excited about a new game
>50% of posts are attempts to spoil

The absolute STATE of nu/v/

It starts super slow. I was close to dropping it in the first two hours or so, once you get to second area it gets a lot better with more interesting enemies, and movement abilities not long after.

Hornet is cute.

It is Felony Alfred, you stupid fuck.

I’m really enjoying the slow pace. It’s s nice respite from the stuff I’ve been playing.

Nah it’s cool. I expected some shitposting

>spoiler-free hollow knight thread
Finally, I can join in. I've got about 90 hours in so far, I've been trying very hard to avoid spoilers because this is honestly one of the best games I've ever played in my life. Plus I'm a sucker for good 2D animation.

Attached: 1551292009157.gif (381x249, 198K)

There are spoilers?

Attached: huh.png (660x660, 116K)

>90 hours in
>concerned about spoilers
Are you literally stopping to smell the roses?

Some shitposters have been ruining he spoiler free vibe OP requested, so tread carefully.

Oh fuck, if "old/v/" weren't such dicks and actually used spoiler tags we wouldn't neet spoiler free threads.

As someone who just played through the whole base game, here's a few relatively spoiler free tips:

1. Talk with every character repeatedly until they start repeating dialog. You have to talk with them multiple times to fully exhaust their conversation.
2. Go whichever direction you like. There is a "correct" way to go for the main story, and it'll be obvious which way that is, but explore as much as you want. There's no "wrong" way to go. Any direction you can't explore just means you should remember it and come back later with a new ability.
4. Don't worry about missing any content or any bosses. After you've beaten the pretty-obvious final boss, the game puts you back where you were right before the final fight so you can continue playing right where you left off. So any things you miss you can still do anytime you want.
5. There are 2 endings in the base game, the basic ending and the True ending. Once you can fight the pretty-obvious final boss, do so. It gives you the first ending. I say that because once you unlock the True ending it forever blocks you out of the basic ending, which would make you miss out on some pretty cool story moments. As for the True ending, to unlock it I recommend googling a spoiler free ending guide. There's a really good one on Steam that I used when I played.
6. There will likely be a couple of times you get "lost" on where to go. Just explore in any direction you see you haven't been to yet (ie doorways going into empty space on your map). You'll find your way eventually.

>trying to deliver the flower from the grey mourner
I don't even know where this grave is at but I cant even get to the queens gardens with flower intact anyway.

Attached: 1459001882819.gif (270x263, 3.91M)

I spent several days of almost non-stop playing trying to beat the Soul Tyrant since I hadn't upgraded the nail yet when I faced him. I fucking did it though, kicked that nigger's ass to the curb.

I found the end point long before I found the flower quest
I marked it on my map thinking how weird that spot was and surely I would end up there again
Oh baby what a day when I found the mourner

god, fuck that mission. Also why does the flower have to be "the only one of it's kind" if she has to give you more if you screw up. Why can't she just have a bush or a garden full of them, it can still be a super rare flower that grows almost nowhere else.

ugh.

Attached: Hollow Knight_20190228200325.jpg (3840x2160, 456K)

ugh.

Attached: Hollow Knight_20190228200306.jpg (3840x2160, 607K)

Why didn't bugs in Hollow Knight wear complete armor? Pic related isn't even a bug yet it's the only thing that wears proper armor. Yeah a natural Shell is good but metal plating protects so much better.

Attached: 1551357402908.jpg (546x690, 155K)

fucking A man, i was going blind for awhile, but i started using this map in the spoiler image after City of Tears. The game really picks up around CoT anyway, but i wasn't gonna keep fucking around blind because i been picking up extra hours at work. In one week, i still put 26 hours on it and i'm only about 1/2-2/3 through the game.

Attached: Hallownest guide.jpg (6747x4727, 2.08M)

That ruins the game for you, though

Attached: pv.webm (480x270, 2.99M)

using the wiki occasionally didn't ruin my experience with dark souls 1 back in 2010, using that map hasn't really ruined my experience with hollow knight now. it's a fun game with beautifully designed areas that are a blast to explore. You really have to play it to see for yourself the nuance and soul the devs put into it. i just got to watcher knight, and it is definitely not the bossfight i expected from a marker on a map.jpg. I'll easily put another 14 hours into the game, putting me at 40 for one playthrough.

anyway, here are some cute bug pics i have

Attached: 1550448932127.gif (500x186, 3.03M)

Getting ready for the Pantheon of Hollownest boys. Any tips? I don't know how to have the stamina for such a long fucking challenge. I keep thinking I'll job to NKG at the end before I even attempt AR.

Attached: GrooseAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.gif (400x265, 869K)

I just made it to AR for the first time after having diligently practicing all the prior bosses and radianting them. Considering how much time I've put into it already, it barely feels like any time at all going through the motions, like 30 minutes

AR kicked my ass but at least I have it unlocked now

>There is a "correct" way to go for the main story
You what now? There are several points in the game where you can intentionally go to several different places.

>There are 2 endings in the base game, the basic ending and the True ending.
There are 3 endings in the base game.

I started referencing the Hollow Knight wiki on occasion after I got my first ending if I felt like I had exhausted all the possible places to go and couldn't find anything new. Though, admittedly, using that map, especially before you've gotten any endings, would probably make a lot of the exploration less enjoyable.

Guess I'll just keep putting in more practice then. Still trying to get NKG down confidently enough. PV is like part of my DNA now.

Think I'm gonna hang it up once I beat the last pantheon. I don't think I have the patience for all the radiant bosses/steelsoul/bindings.

The fuck? Lmao...This was the first metroidvania I ever played and I beat it in 25 hours without ever using a guide, this is like one out of 10 games I never had to look up a guide for because im so stupid and always get stuck.

>Though, admittedly, using that map, especially before you've gotten any endings, would probably make a lot of the exploration less enjoyable.
That's literally what I'm trying to tell people not to do.

I think this is the game I finally got too old to git gud at. I'm 33 now, and noticed that my hands were slowing down around Bloodborne's release and this game made me realise my dexterity has gone downhill.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I also completely understand the desire to use some kind of guide to get yourself through things. If all you're doing is pushing yourself the last 15% or something using something like that image probably wouldn't be all that different to looking up things on a wiki. Obviously that other user is talking about using that from fairly early on in the game, which I'd imagine would be harmful (for lack of a better word) for most people's experience. Though perhaps some people who would otherwise not enjoy the game without an obvious handhold would get something out of it otherwise.

Still though not really disagreeing with your core point.

>in typical age range for fighter jet pilots
>GUYS IM TOO OLD TO PLAY VIDEO GAMES
Not having patience to get good and not being able to get good are different things that retards need to stop conflating.

Nigger you could've 100% the game twice by now. Maybe you should pick up a hobby you are less shit at.

I'm older, and nah, you're not even close yet. HK isn't the type of game you can apply reaction speed to alone, everyone will get wrecked at first until you learn the boss's pattern

I don't really believe in innate video game skill, each one handles differently, has a learning curve, and has its own muscle memory to commit

Still lurking the thread

Thanks dude, these are great tips. I’m entranced so far

I kicked 4th Zote's ass and now Bretta-chan is MIA.

Attached: 1551252898483.png (820x617, 619K)

Go away OP
You've ruined 80% of the game for yourself already

Brehs, I lit up a weird torch while searching for Bretta and now I think everybody is dead.

Attached: 20190301022155_1.jpg (1920x1080, 202K)

I’ve been skipping text that are obvious spoilers, checking in now and again, but I’m digging in now so I’ll stop checking. I’ll make another thread on my progress tomorrow

Thanks all

*summons a death orb on top of your head*
*makes the death orb you just sidestepped turn 90 degrees instantly to hit you*
*summons a death orb in the spell you just cast so you can't see it coming*
*drops spikes on you as you're dashing through a death pillar*
*traps you with vertical spikes until the ground below you turns to spikes*
*drops spikes on you well after you beat it into the next stage*
*sends a wall of spikes immediately after a death pillar*
*insta-kills you with a laser because fuck you*

Attached: radiant ar.jpg (386x255, 58K)

You'd be here complaining about lack of challenge if he wasn't

Waiting for a random number generator to spit out favorable results for three straight minutes isn't a challenge. It's a test of sanity.

I failed that test.

Come on, man.

Attached: 20190301030553_1.jpg (1920x1080, 296K)

You should know that your first impressions will be made all the worse by people setting your expectations for you. Just play the damn thing.

so your telling me that a 80 year old can do the path of pain?

>casting spells when he's summoning orbs
>letting yourself be trapped
>guessing when it's safe to hit him instead of watching for him and reacting
Hornet's got a journal for people like you

>hasn't even gotten to invincible

oh user, you dont know how easy you have it now

I am user. I just beat uh...the girl with the sewing needle. Got the dash cloak.

Curious about that lil’ boy that was dead down there, I’m sure it’s supposed to look like she killed him but she probably didn’t.

When do I get to play as Zote

>When do I get to play as Zote
The kickstarter goal for that was not met, so never.

Fortunately, there's still plenty of other Zote in the game.

My 57 year old mother did it. I still haven't.

>There was an unrealized Zote Kickstarter goal

Wow that hurts. As soon as I saw him I was convinced I’d play as him at some point. I don’t know why I like his design so much more.

Spoiler question because this is the first hollow knight thread I found.
Everything related to the Grimm Troupe disappeared on my file and when I resummoned them my Grimmschild has no flames, but the flame guys I killed are still dead so there's no way to get flames. Am I just fucked?

What happened to that autist that shilled for la mulana in every hk thread? Did he finally kill himself?

The real question is who cares?

No, I'm telling you 33 isn't old