Why didn't lootboxes didn't become a thing in 80's-early 2000's gaming?

Why didn't lootboxes didn't become a thing in 80's-early 2000's gaming?

Attached: lootbox.0.jpg (1200x800, 53K)

lack of online games

Games were already full of content, to unlock anything like new skins/levels you had to play and master the game.
Also devs/publishers weren't greedy fucks so they weren't needed.

Online gaming wasn't as big.

They were called arcade machines.

Lack of easy payment processing, see

millennials are more product-concious than zoomers.
This is why gaming is going to shit.

Because arcades were the in person lootbox.

I'm 31 and honestly few people actually had decent net connections even in the western world.

Fuck no, i used to waste up to £10 an hour in arcades when on holiday.

people weren't always such unbelievable fags they'd pay for fucking jpegs

We had trading cards, that was the closest thing. Very few people, especially children and teenagers, spent money online until the mid to late 2000s so it was unthinkable to have loot boxes in AAA games. Asian free to play MMOs have had what amounts to loot boxes since the early 2000s.

games didn't really have that much shit to put in them back then

>arcade
Born in the 80s? Because then you arent a millennial.

Who sets these divides?

back in those days we had something called china white, pure refined heroin shipped courtesy of asia. degenerate junkies used to shoot up, or at worst play video poker, instead of ruining video games for everyone else.

There's usually around 30 years between generations. I don't think it's a set date or anything.

wasn't valve the first company to pull this shit with TF2?

Attached: 1511335010830.jpg (550x512, 34K)

Actually my bad. Seems like people born in the 80s (all the way to the 00s) can be considered millennials, still I think what mainly defines it is people who had their childhood/teenage years in the 90s.

If you were born in the 80s-90s you probably didn’t experience arcades much, as by the time you turned 8+ you already had home consoles.

Why does Yea Forums compare arcade games to loot boxes. Have you zoomers even played an arcade game?

Attached: 1537921165727.jpg (640x480, 11K)

yes but Gaben is epic based so it's okay

Magic: the Gathering.

Na, it was probably asian based MMOs that did it first.

Attached: Capture.jpg (662x429, 56K)

fifa had card packs back in 2009

No online you fucking retard

You gotta delete this buddy

they did, only it wasn't online nor digital

Attached: 25-classic-toy-capsule-vending-machine-290.jpg (650x650, 47K)

gamers had more standards back then.

t. MTG fatty

>Also devs/publishers weren't greedy fucks so they weren't needed.

The fuck they weren't. You can bet your ass that if technology existed and was practical for paid loot boxes back then, they would have done it.

These are the same kind of people who would release the same fighting game 10 times but with slight variations each iteration.

>pc
>no online
fuck off underage

Attached: Sega-Saturn-NetLink.jpg (3850x2570, 2.84M)

lack of online/developmental infrastructure. games back then were one and done deals. very few games got bug fixes/patches and when they did it was to thwart anti-piracy or fix gamebreaking bugs

because most devs made you unlock the content you have to roll the dice for. Consumers became fucked incrementally over the course of many years, and it became easy to push shitty monetization schemes through the mouthbreathing retards that started vidya on their mobile device and accept a world where companies suck as many shekels as possible through any means necessary because it's all they know.

>op says 1980
>Hurt durr underage
You’re fucking stupid. Go to bed kid.

>lack of storage or some sort of capacity
do you guys even game back then? expansions were the thing and it consoles wasn't exempt from it either like genesis had a lock-on add on with sonic 3. so don't try to pull that shit here.

>sega Saturn
>1980
Have you considered killing your self?

because the common person didn't have internet and consoles didn't connect to Internet until like what, Wii PS2 and Xbox? but when people used to rent video games, developers intentionally made levels have a huge difficulty spike so players who rented the game would rent it again or just go buy the game

What were gamers in the 80’s going to buy cosmetics with money orders? We’re devs going to deliver dlcs via ups? My god you’re a mongoloid.

They were called TCGs

When a market is still new it's usually more honest and fair. It takes devoted enthusiasts and visionaries to discover/create a new market, and it's more likely that those people are decent human beings. As this market matures, more and more jews enter it and optimize it as much as possible with their scummiest dirtiest jewish tricks, possibly even outperforming and bankrupting the pioneers of the market. After some time the jewish atrocities are noticed by the government, which then places restrictions on the market, ostensibly to protect the customer from unchecked jewry, but in reality to incentivize the jews to enter the lobbying market and start paying their tithe to the politicians.

tl;dr Games became mainstream.

Gook MMOs pioneered it. I doubt Maplestory was the first example, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the first major games to do it.

>op says 1980
OP said 1980-2000's. Where did you faggots learn to read?

Attached: Capture.jpg (325x302, 13K)

Op has to be bait right? I can’t believe an educated child over 12 would make this thread.

Ok should I cover every year or should the obvious fact that 1980-2000 is in now way cohesive as far as online? Should the fact that the entire premise of this discussion is asinine make me put forth more effort in discussing it? I think not. Anyone that would make this op and think it was a good idea probably should be shot.

>makes stupid mistake
>catches shit
>vocabulary ages 100 years
Quit being a fag, you're anonymous you pretentious dipshit.

Attached: 1533444415386.jpg (2048x1310, 674K)

Zoomers weren't the primary audience yet

Attached: 1549505718815.jpg (2590x4061, 1.27M)

no you faggot. just be a little more specific in your response like no online in the 80's or some shit. when you say no online then i'm assuming you're encompassing those years OP asks in general. it's no rocket science

Ok my son, I’ll spell it out for you. In the early 80 there was no online. Online gaming was nothing. As the decades came and went things like online, updates, credit cards etc. became more prevalent and here we are today 40 YEARS LATER. Kys

And it fails to answer the OP's question, so you're a dumbass.

Cope

>so BTFO'd that he resorting to memes
damn dude, you sure showed him.

Passion was the priority instead of greed

Because internet/banking infrastructure wasn't as big back then as it is today. Today you have shit like Paypal and other instant money transfer options. Who the fuck would want to go to the bank, make a money transfer to EA and then wait a week until you get your lootbox from EA?

SEETHING

lol. it was passionate to make arcade games hard as balls to feed quarters.

LOOT BOXES specifically and the gambling associated with them
introduced by valve in tf2
such a shitty factless topic