How has the quality of Japanese RPG's fallen so far behind WRPG'S?

How has the quality of Japanese RPG's fallen so far behind WRPG'S?

Attached: hZ0G.jpg (1019x1266, 294K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/W2Csz65esdY
pushsquare.com/news/2016/04/final_fantasy_xvs_dev_team_played_a_lot_of_the_witcher_3_last_year
m.youtube.com/watch?v=cnE9XEC5mWw
youtube.com/watch?v=UBNHlgXcnME
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There's nothing wrong with moeshit

Attached: example-14880.jpg (1024x1024, 52K)

Bitch shut the fuck up you tranny pedophile, you're lucky I don't come fuckin' beat the shit out of you fat ass. Fuck up off my motherfuckin' board you little homo.

But cute girls are the best.

>cherry picking

Attached: octopath.jpg (1200x1200, 327K)

Consistently appealing to the lowest common denominator, i.e. waifufags.

ironically none of these games have good waifus, they are all throwaway generic garbage made to look pretty and nothing else.

Attached: 1542619516988.jpg (695x1027, 405K)

Cope harder.

Attached: 1477124102024.jpg (850x1296, 315K)

ok this is too far

i long for a time when you can play a JRPG in front of other people without looking like a fucking faggot again

Too bad the game is shit.

but WPRGs have have fallen even worse than modern JRPGs

t. resetera

That's gotta hurt.

anyone got the medabots one where it goes from just the bots to just random anime girls?

which is the best RPG game for someone who wants everything easy, without difficulty, where to level up is ultra easy. where all the combats are easy. where it is impossible to get stuck somewhere. and that is not Pokemon

if you're not gonna take the RPG aspect seriously, you might as well just play a fucking VN

>DURR IF YOU DON'T WANNA WASTE YOUR TIME AND HAVE NO FUN, DON'T PLAY
epic, simply epic

WRPG's are even worse now-a-days. Either trying to appeal to left wing extremists or being completely broken at launch if made in Eastern Europe.

For me JRPG's will always be a stronger pick due to them usually having good gameplay, while most WRPG's either has a combat system like Elder Scrolls which is just randomly slashing at a wooden board, or like Witcher which is just as brain dead but the only difference is that you need to brew a potion or sword oil to do damage.

yes that's what you are doing

>JRPGS have good gameplay
>literally just select attack and wait

Atelier Rorona DX: The Alchemist of Arland

>Ignoring the tons of non-localised anime-shit that the west never got that was always

Okay

Attached: DQXI.jpg (1600x900, 626K)

>Tranny whine about big tits and big ass
>weebo whine about not enough loli
Thx to bunch of weebo and tranny, we get shit like this.

>WRPGs
>quality
>ever

something not anime maybe?

>it's another Yea Forums posts the same images with the same arguments and same replies to the same bait episode
yawn

And what is a VN game?

>All JRPG's are turn-based
retard

Come again, did i hear that wrong or you just said JRPGs having better combat system and gameplay than WRPGs?

Attached: 1547101816632.jpg (2000x1797, 853K)

Man I fucking wish Gust still made games as good as Ar tonelico 3 or Rorona.

if it's not turn based, it's just blind slashing no different from the western titles

Witcher

Purchase Atelier Lulua: The Mysterious Scion of Arland coming to a Steam store near you in May.

Attached: sophie.jpg (800x914, 112K)

paper mario games my dude. Chill and fun.

stands for villainous niggers. basically a subgenre of games specifically revolving around niggers impregnating white women

Attached: ball.jpg (800x600, 124K)

Attached: ninokuni2.jpg (904x1600, 902K)

post your wojak collection

I will if they make the gameplay any fucking good again instead of dumbing it down because they want the Nep audience. But they won't.

HERE WE GO GOOD TO GO NEPUTUNU

Attached: 1478070357309.png (960x1147, 334K)

Soulborne games are JRPG

As you can see, horny teenagers are perfectly fine with it.

Is this supposed to be bad? Shining Resonance's art is great

All the Big JRPGs don't have that shit (minus pokemon but it its debatable)

will reddit and resetera ever stop seething at the greatness of jrpgs?

I have bad news for you, user. Mysterious-style combat with a new Interrupt ability that works even during the enemy's turn.

Attached: atelier-lulua-12-13-23.jpg (960x540, 200K)

>Shitting on atelier
oh boy it's another "I've neve rplayed the games and just think it's bad because it's cute" thread
I actually bought DQ11 thinking it'd be fun but I was so fucking bored by it that by the time I got to the boat I dropped it and played through the arland games and had a much better time.
I don't know what part of mysterious you hated but you're probably dumb for hating it. They even brought back trait cost.

Attached: DqnDCi8U4AADr1U.jpg (800x567, 94K)

No time limit, synthesis uses Mysterious/Dusk method of determining item effect

Attached: system_img05-l.jpg (1920x1080, 367K)

Every final fantasy game past 3.

>Toriyama
>slight anime/Japanese style

Attached: 1413132937488.gif (250x250, 1.16M)

>which is the best RPG game for someone who wants everything easy, without difficulty, where to level up is ultra easy. where all the combats are easy. where it is impossible to get stuck somewhere. and that is not Pokemon

FF15.

Combat is Hold O to win (see webm)
You can heal yourself with items at 0 HP and the game gives you items thinks to one of the passive skills one of the party members have.

It was a game that intentionally panders to casuals

Attached: Hold O to Win.webm (640x360, 2.66M)

P3P, P4G and P5 on the safety difficulty, i think some DQ's are easy too and there is Radiant Historia too

Time limits added nothing to the series (positively or negatively, mind you) and anyone who focuses specifically on that aspect of the series is dumb as fuck.
The only "bad" part about them is that they don't let you play and post-game and instead just kick you out when the time's up.

Attached: Lulua.png (1080x853, 1.06M)

I hated there being no time limit making the games impossible to lose. Except in Firis, but let's not pretend the time limit there was good.

>tfw no Suikoden spiritual successors

Attached: 1476068554880.jpg (2276x1611, 1.87M)

Kiseki series

The exp is based on a level curve so you're never underleveled

WRPGs are dogshit now compared to before

It lends to a different type of gameplay (arguably better) where you're trying to be as efficient as possible. It also gave pacing, the absence of which necessitates the usage of shit like Lydie & Suelle's Ambition Journal that's just plain grinding. You never once needed to grind in Rorona, Totori or Meruru to get platinum.

Attached: yo hol up nigga.jpg (447x475, 45K)

Quick, post JRPGs with actual good settings.

Attached: image.jpg (240x240, 24K)

>*spears your path*

Attached: 1549628765059.jpg (1280x720, 210K)

Attached: Rean_Schwarzer_S-Craft_(Sen_II).png (1024x1024, 692K)

Arland was impossible to lose if you weren't braindead.
Beating every superboss like having to get gio's perfect item loop in meruru sure, that takes time and effort.
Just beating the game and getting the true ending was easy as piss in rorona, and only got easier in totori and meruru.
Firis' time limit was bad though, yea.

Attached: hewFkgCF_400x400.jpg (400x400, 63K)

video games just don't pay what they used to. this is true whether you're a talented writer, artist or programmer

I hate harsh video games
I usually get stuck in RPG's
and also, I hate Pokemon

>shitty cliche-filled anime high school (oh I'm sorry "military academy") with an LN-tier harem-attracting chuuni protagonist
>good setting
Haha, that's our Senfag!

I don't care if it's easy or not. Plenty of games are easy. You play differently when there's a time limit, even if it is an easy one.

The Mysterious games WISH they had something as complex as the Gio loop, but the battle aspect took a sharp nosedive in complexity and difficulty.

Toriyama art is western.

>Complaing about JRPGs being too weaboo
>It's made by fucking japanese
What in the blue berry muffins fuck?

Shining Force II is one of my favorite games of all time. Delet pls.

>JRPGS then

Attached: dq1snes_001.png (512x446, 24K)

I blame Neptunia.

Attached: Tactics_ogre_cover.jpg (256x362, 50K)

>JRPGs now

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 213K)

>It also gave pacing, the absence of which necessitates the usage of shit like Lydie & Suelle's Ambition Journal that's just plain grinding. You never once needed to grind in Rorona, Totori or Meruru to get platinum.
Totori's progression is the same as LS's progression though, you had to complete X amount of mini-tasks related to adventure/alchemy/battle/gather/etc
Where in my post did I say that mysterious had anything as complex as the gio loop? I literally just said that it's definitely a 'hard' part of the game to get all the equipment properly, and even then that's just for 100%/platinum. 95% of the game is just as easy and trivial as anything in mysterious. Hell combat in Rorona/Meruru was even easier than combat in mysterious.
>You play differently when there's a time limit, even if it is an easy one.
So what's your opinion on Firis then?

WHAT THE FUCK BROS HOW COULD OUR JAY-ARE-PEE-GEES DEVOLVE INTO SUCH BLATANT WEEBSHIT
OKAY, IT WAS ALWAYS WEEBSHIT BUT IT WAS THE GOOD KIND OF WEEBSHIT BACK IN MY DAYS LET ME TELL YOU

Attached: 1525340456062.jpg (1019x1266, 694K)

>what I like good
>what I dont like bad

>I hate harsh video games

which is why I recommended the easiest fucking JRPG I know of. Sure FFXV is an unfinished dumpster fire but you can not die

just open your heart to moe. cute posting is love.

Attached: yui.png (1920x1080, 1.91M)

I loved Arland but you have bad taste if you can't enjoy the comfiness of DQ.

And DQ never disappoints, unlike Atelier.

>So what's your opinion on Firis then?
No idea, never played it since everyone said it was shit. I was bluffing earlier when I said the time limit in it was terrible.

>Straight out of a moe anime
What's even a moe anime?

Nu-Gust faggots really are the cancer of the fandom

what are the bottom 2

is that I do not see the meaning of difficult games

I also prefer something that is much more linear

>Arland was impossible to lose if you weren't braindead

Tell that to all those people whining about the time limits.

Popful Mail on left and I think the right could be an Atelier game, but I'm not sure.

Don't forget the cliched muh politics muh nobles crap.

it's a chad sub genre specifically for people who are very secure in their sexuality and extremely comfortable in their own skin

It wasn't atrocious or anything but the combat speed (and i mean literally the speed of most animations) and the fact that at least up until where I got auto-battle killed everything including bosses made me lose any real drive to continue playing the game.
Well you were right, it's a pretty shit time limit. I don't like Totori's time limit and it's an even worse version of that. It's probably the worst.
Ok, I'll tell them they're braindead. Seeing people talk about how hardcore/intense the time limits were in arland I was heavily surprised to see how incredibly easy they were in rorona, and even within rorona the assignments themselves just kept getting easier, though I think like the 4th or 5th one took me up until a few days before the deadline.
Totori is much easier than rorona and meruru is even easier, and meruru is maybe my favorite game in the series, that or LS.

Ni No Kuni 2 and Dragon Quest XI were way better. Fuck this overhyped bullshit.

t. person who put over 100 hours into Octopath.

>Totori's progression is the same as LS's progression though, you had to complete X amount of mini-tasks related to adventure/alchemy/battle/gather/etc

This just confirms you're a Mysteriousfag who has never actually played an Arland game.

I can boot up meruru to show you if you want, I'm at "almost-perfect items for gio loop" right now and I'm in the process of getting perfect.

Attached: file.png (849x269, 100K)

You know you have options to make the game harder, right?

>NnK2
>good

Hah.

Even nu-Ateliers are better.

the west could make more real time turn ased rpgs.

Attached: 1545436429034.jpg (724x1023, 175K)

Well then, you're just retarded if you think Totori plays anything close like LS.

In Arland? Unless I missed some hidden "make the deadlines shorter" option than I don't think you can.

t. RPG codex wank pheasant

Totori's time limit is the best though. Gives you the most freedom.

but both were better than Octoshit. Seriously the bravely team just needs to make the third installment or take a crack at another new IP.

What's the best Atelier game for someone who's never played one?

I mean DQXI

>fallen so far behind WRPG'S
Fuck off Todd. I'd much rather play games like Dark Souls, Xenoblade, Persona, Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest than buggy ugly SJW-infested garbage like Fallout 4 and Mass Effect Andromeda.

I said their progression is the same, because it is.
In Totori you have to complete X amount in points of quests to level up your adventurer rank, and in LS you have to complete X amount in points of quests to level up your atelier rank.

Attached: 20190227_233610.jpg (2016x1134, 546K)

Still less cancerous than female fans who want to turn Atelier into an otome

They were always worse than Wrpgs, there was nothing to fall behind of

The dex is okay with JRPGs though. They're okay with everything. Every genre other than WRPGs are treated as their own thing, they get judged as good or bad based on their own merits.
Totori's time limit sucks. Just one big limit with no direction at all. You play for a year and you have no idea how you're doing. Maybe you did shit and wasted time and you're guaranteed to lose, maybe you're doing great, you can't tell. That's no good.

Completely ignoring the existence of time limit.

I am sorry for your shit taste.

>reminder that the west made a shitty meme parody game that is unironically better than any JRPG to come out in the last 15 years at least.

Attached: barkley_jam.png (641x468, 86K)

>Totori's time limit is the best though. Gives you the most freedom.
I couldn't disagree more. is exactly why I hate the time limit, and it's why I hated firis' time limit too. Rorona's was good.
Which couldn't matter less, especially in totori because of how long it is and how easy it is to accomplish. It's annoying because of that user's stated reasons, not because of any actual difficulty.

>no direction

lel sounds like someone who didn't even get to build the boat

>The game gets a direction after THREE FUCKING YEARS
real good pacing there, yep

Attached: Dv1pfMQVsAA9Bzb.jpg (700x989, 61K)

Rorona's good. They've ported it to fucking everything so that's helpful too.

None of them because the franchise is in decline and the fanbase is terrible

Rorona or Sophie, rorona recently got a ps4 port with the other arland games too and one of those is actually good to play.

Attached: not this one though.jpg (738x1024, 123K)

Only the Mysterious fanbase is terrible.

Of course I built the boat. The game's easy and I'm not that fucking bad. What if I was bad though? Play for a few years with no idea how well I'm doing, and then by the time the boat shows up I'm in a shit position so I have no hope of building it. That'd just suck. Much better to go with the Rorona system where if I suck that much I just fail an assignment quickly and lose. I consider that a lot better than wasting another two years without knowing I've already fucked myself and should just restart right now.

Really the arland fanbase seems pretty shit. The games are pretty good but the fanbase is some of the worst I've seen outside of a few sects of the pokemon fanbase.

Attached: 1e3fda3ef61dc65411e6956a159d2385.png (1024x1024, 502K)

>trying to appeal to left wing extremists
When the fuck has this scenario ever happened other than in your head, you amoeba-brained tool?

>That'd just suck. Much better to go with the Rorona system where if I suck that much I just fail an assignment quickly and lose. I consider that a lot better than wasting another two years without knowing I've already fucked myself and should just restart right now.
You know, looking at it this way, maybe it IS just a bunch of brainless retards who did this and then they were the ones who complained about time limits making the game harder.
Would certainly explain a lot of things.

>A Japanese person can be a weeaboo
This is your brain on stale Yea Forums memes

Not really, it's always the Mysteriousfags bringing up shit points with their shit tastes, so the Arlandfags have to bring out the big guns.

Market has changed I guess

The big guns of what? "This trilogy isn't 100% identical to the one that I started playing with so it's bad"? I think it's funny you haven't even mentioned the removal of trait cost, which is the only significant way mysterious is easier.
I don't expect shitposters to actually have played any of the games they're talking about, though.

Okay, here's the harsh reality of the otaku-centric JRPG market in Japan: it doesn't thrive off game sales, but rather off marketing and merchandise. This is why waifu fagging, costume DLCs, weird collectors' junk, and other trashy shit seems to have risen in volume over the past decade or so. With the decline of the console market in Japan and the rise of mobile gaming, most small developers had to abandon business models that banked on high software sales to get by. Instead, they opted for either the model I mentioned previously, or attempted to break into the mobile market with similarly cheaply-made freemium games. This is there is such a shortage of sweet spot JRPGs that balance the look and feel or otaku-centric media with the respectability and production quality of more mainstream games.

Cost system is always brought up as is significantly weaker story, character events, grinding mechanics like Firis' proficiency, and overpriced DLC.

The game was good, just the storylines should have converged like halfway through the game and not at the very end.

DQ put me to sleep.

>otaku-centric
You are pants on head retarded

here's your JRPG bro

Attached: 59141574_p0.jpg (731x1200, 904K)

Bring diversity back!

The majority of JRPGs have never been mainstream, barring a few key franchises propped up by either AAA development and/or mass market appeal. The state of that market is relevant to the state of the genre right now.

>Significantly weaker story
I always think it's weird when people bring up totori's story as "good" when it literally does not exist until 3 years into the game and then while there's a small sense of 'adventure' to find your mom it gets tied up pretty quickly and then you find the mom's dead, and then you fight a demon king and you find she's not dead.
Rorona's and Meruru's stories are really simple but I think they're nice enough at least. I thought rorona's was kind of odd in that they show the old count as an antagonist but don't really have him do much. I understand it'd be kind of hard to have him fuck with you mechanically (i think the one significant thing he does is buy out the market for some item the month you need it for an assignment) but it's not really much. Meruru's is better in that she's trying to spruce up the place for the merger (and then later killing the dragon) and I really liked how you went around visibly improving the kingdom.
I don't understand how people say Sophie has a weaker story though, at least out of Arland+Mysterious it probably has the best story with you learning stuff about plachta over time culminating in fighting off luard. I personally don't really like Firis' story all too much because I don't like her character, but it's an acceptable "pure adventure" narrative. LS is kind of like Rorona's and Totori's mushed together and I have no real comment on it.

Firis' proficiency is shit yes, as is Firis in general kind of. I'll also agree that LS' DLC is really jewish but the rest of the DLC is the same character DLC stuff they had in Arland.

Do you think anything with a cute girl in it is otaku-centric?

it's a very accurate and succinct explanation. but perhaps you have a a more insightful theory to advance anonymous

Gio is fucking based. You'll basically only even come close to losing if the boss can counterattack or if the nearly 100% chance of looping actually fails. Just build a tank Meruru just in case that happens.

Attached: gio for ants.webm (400x225, 2.9M)

No, but the majority of JRPGs released in the last two decades have been as such.

Thanks for reminding of that trash ar tonelco 3.

How so. Explain yourself.

If you want some rigid plot, I suggest you stick to a different series.

Anyone know if the loop is still doable on DX? I assume as much but I've noticed there was a nerf to one of the items you get in makina from +.

Every other game in the arland and mysterious trilogies has much more of a story than totori, outside of MAYBE Firis whose entire gimmick is "dude adventure lmao"

I think they've fixed that essence abuse for his loop in DX.

That is DX, user.

obviously not but character specific merchandising and fanservice heavy cross promotion very much is.

Ah, ok. Thanks.

OLD GOOD NEW BAD
BABY MAKE A BOOM BOOM
ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM

JRPGs having an anime style is a given because the majority are made to appeal to japanese teenagers, not just otaku.

Stop trying to drag down games and make them easier just to appeal to the braindeadfags.

Yuck, why did they give her such big breasts?

Just /pol/ autism, nothing more.

Are you gay, user?

Attached: rorona black dress.jpg (816x1152, 303K)

I don't want it easier, I just want it to be more clear about things. If I suck tell me I suck instead of leaving me in the dark for several years.

I know you were supposed to start the loop with something besides Slash for some reason, but is there a particular reason you keep alternating with Strike?
Rorona is a 48 year old mommy now, astrid lost.
Totori is still pretty flat though and she's 38.

This is sadly true. Even Atelier is going that route

No, I just have good taste

>character specific merchandising
Everyone does this these days, even pokemon the most mainstream jrpg ever.
>fanservice heavy cross promotion
Mostly limited to compile heart and gust, besides lewd pre-order bonuses and store specific shit has been a thing since the fucking PC-98 days.

Hope it's an eternal one

>Even Atelier is going that route
Its been that way for nearly ten years now.

You can't do it anymore in DX though

Using Slash consecutively lowers the % chance that Gio will start another pair of turns. However, if you space apart Slash with any other action, you will always do Slash #1, giving you the highest % chance at all times of going again.
youtu.be/W2Csz65esdY

lol not really. Stop being so biased, you anti-Totorifag.

Cake Rorona is a miracle of the universe.

Forgot to mention that I used Strike because it's his highest damaging skill.

I'm anti-totori because her game is by far the least fun to play. It's not even really bad, just worse than the others.
It also has some of the weaker new characters.

She's well past cake territory now.

You have to sacrifice the freedom it gives for you to get your "here do this shit every three months" rigid path.

i've never played pokeman and don't class it as a jrpg. it's a mixed media franchise for children.

>that one doesn't count
Come the fuck on

>the least fun to play

Speak for yourself. That's Rorona for me.

>weak new characters

That's Meruru.

I get pretty high chain % even with just pre-perfect gio and doing nothing but Slash, I might try just fighting it as is. Thanks.
>You have to sacrifice the freedom it gives for you to get your "here do this shit every three months" rigid path.
user I think you (and the other user and myself) just have to come to terms with the fact that some people have different opinions on what they enjoy in video games and that some don't like the 'freedom' of totori compared to rorona's structure.

Granted I never played original rorona, which I've heard is pretty bad, but rorona+ is pretty high quality.
>weak new characters
>That's Meruru.
eh, I suppose. going off of LS and Meruru third games just seem to be more of a "best of" of the past 2 games than having any really new great characters. I think Hanna is the only new meruru character I like, which totori does beat in quantity.

also keina maybe, but that's more just apathy towards "childhood friend character" than any real like or dislike

>How has the quality of Japanese RPG's fallen so far behind WRPG'S?

what? it has been the other way ever since Dark Souls

It stands for visual novel. I recommend this one called Blackgate, you should check it out

www.patreon.com/blackgategame

>repeat one off sidestories 8 times for four cycles
>package it as a a main character quest
>have to do some shit tier sidequest to unlock final boss
>characters barely interact with one another, game treats it as if each route is handled alone by the individual

Octopath was fucking mediocre, it only had its art style going for it.

Meruru had new characters? I don't remember anything like that.

GAHAHAHHA SAIKO DA
Imagine Totori's dad, but Chad mode 24/7

Attached: Roger_Marlen_A19.png (459x889, 425K)

I remember hating how you finish the task in Rorona and then you get stuck doing filler things until the next assignment.

Hated that. And EL made it so much worse, yet a lot of faggots say it's the best Atelier because of muh male MC, muh combat, and muh romance.

her dad, the administrator, childhood friend character, childhood friend character (male), and hanna
i think that's it

>sidequests

Too much of a brainlet to appreciate multiple plots in a JRPG, huh?

Reminder that people who dislike Octopath are 80% Dunkey bootlickers

I don't remember any of these. I think you're just making them up to try and fool me.
Actually to be honest I do remember her friend, but only because of people moving the camera to the perfect position just so they could see her underwear. I remember people doing that.

>Make a single cabinet
>Get 300 extra space
ok cool
>Go for max, make 200 cabinets
>Freaks out and says that's too much, get 300 extra space
ok i guess
>Go for middle, make 2 cabinets
>Says that's too much, get 300 extra space

The 21st century was a mistake.

Normally the west invents new stuff or bring further overall development circles and Japan just copies.

Ultima did the groundwork of how every single RPG should look like, Bioware set standards for storytelling (don't "kek" at me, if every single rpg developer after Baldur's Gate quotes them as inspiration, they set standards) and Witcher 3 defined how open world rpgs should be in the 2010s.

I can't thing of any JRPG that influenced anything. Maybe Dragon Quest.

Start remembering, nigga

Attached: Atelier-Lulua-Keina-3D-Model.jpg (517x1000, 187K)

hanna is genki with giant tits, she runs a shop in the town
lias is completely forgettable as is every other male childhood friend in the series

Attached: file.png (700x980, 434K)

>makes a bomb that could destroy the world if not careful

>Witcher 3 defined how open world rpgs should be in the 2010s.

lol

But can you see through her skirt again this time? I'm sure a lot of people are interested.

I want more westaboo jrpgs.

Attached: the-dark-spire-20090416040558354.jpg (480x353, 201K)

The average Atelier fan everyone.

Bloodborne 2 when?

Not for a few years at least. BB was commissioned specifically to get Soulsfags to buy a PS4, so a sequel would be done to get the aforementioned Soulsfags to get a PS5.

I'm sure the PC players will find that out for you.

Attached: atelier-lulua-12-13-9.jpg (696x1000, 99K)

SMTV is the only game I'm really excited about right now. Hopefully we can finally see some fucking footage this year.

Attached: tumblr_ozz4h5YKCX1uka571o1_400.png (400x343, 124K)

It's that dumb bitch's fault for telling the angry nigger that rape is legal in japan, what the fuck did she expect would happen?

Anime in all forms is mostly shit now because it doesnt take itself seriously, everything is undercut with a bad joke or fanservice. The way characters talk in anime makes people look like fucking alien retards.

The majority of Japanese teenagers aren't huge gamers like they are in the west. Here's a market penetration study done by the Japanese government in 2013. Notice the trends even from back then. Japan's most easily accessible markets are those of smartphones for ages 16 and up and handhelds for ages 13-15. Home consoles and PCs are far markedly lower compared to those.

By the way, for the curious bunch, the countries for each category from top to bottom are:
Japan
South Korea
US
UK
Germany
France
Switzerland/Sweden (ambiguous)

Attached: market_penetration_by_platform.png (413x748, 36K)

They think every wrpg is Mass Effect Andromeda.

She looks retarded.

the problem is that all the standards wrpgs follow are shit ones that make games worse. dialogue trees are shit. d&d mechanics are shit. real time with pause is turbo shit. open world is a dumb meme. jrpgs are mostly shit too, but because the deveopers are untalented, not because they think being shit is actually good.

Reminder that Sterk is now a fifty-five (55) year old man who still roleplays as a knight despite not being one for over 30 years, the love of his life literally creating a baby by herself rather than sleep with him, and his only friends are pigeons.

Attached: D0Q1sJ4UwAANGis.jpg (966x1000, 85K)

NEVER EVER WESTAKEKS.

Attached: RPG-History-JRPG-vs-WRPG.jpg (1080x850, 299K)

look fuck pokeman right, it's so huge it's irrelevant to this conversation. what exactly do you object to about anons description of the current market in nipland and the need for jrpgs to appeal to its main demographic by diversifying its potential revenue streams across it in order to give themselves a fighting chance for success and survival in that market as outlined here? seemingly just the use of the phrase 'otaku centric'

>left wing extremists

Yea Forums is rotting your brain.

Attached: 1551319357924.jpg (512x564, 41K)

>OLDER ISN'T OBJECTIVELY BETTER I SWEAR

Attached: 1.jpg (750x924, 106K)

He is saying the truth though.

Clothes come off. I have nothing against this sort of shit but it does not make for very good designs when the only thing that is being focused on is how little they are wearing. See Sniper Wolf compared to Quiet. You dont need to be wearing nothing to pull off sex appeal, if the character is wearing that shit and isnt talking about my dick I cannot take anything they are saying seriously and take them seriously in a situation.

NOOOO THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING! HE CAN'T BE A 50 YEAR OLD VIRGIN!

Attached: atelier-lulua-12-13-1-1.jpg (707x1000, 257K)

He's not a virgin user, Astrid fucked him some time before Rorona happens.
Why do you think he's as bad off as he is? Being in a relationship with Astrid messed up his view of other people.

Attached: D0Q1rQFU8AECYLo.jpg (632x1000, 76K)

seething

There's something about Western games I just find so sterile. Maybe it's their tendency towards realism, but they all feel so diluted and the writing "Hollywood" or "Netflix". Nevermind this odd trend of taking MMO concepts, foregoing the community aspect that makes its idiosyncrasies tolerable, and really only adding the numbers, loot, and the grind.

I'm playing Xenosaga right now.

It really does a good job of immersing you into the game world.

>gets quoted as a major influence for every open world rpg past 2015
>but user 452680312 says it's bullshit so it counts

At this point the genre is so stagnated that having simple turn based combat is "rehreshing" after years of "jrpg combat.....with a twist!".

With the success of mobile gaming developers have become discouraged to try to inovate or experiment since making a gacha will almost certainly bring more money in. It's not about the story or combat anymore, it's just about creating characters people like enough that they sink money trying to gamble to a win them. As it is now the only way to.make a successful jrpg is based entirely on the cast. If you don't create a cast you can market you are basically destined to fail.

Attached: 9dcd44cd-2831-47eb-a6c6-0821b687f7e2.jpg (1280x960, 196K)

>>gets quoted as a major influence for every open world rpg past 2015
such as....?

Dialogue trees weren't a thing until Mass Effect.

fallout 76

I also forgot to mention that both of the high-penetration (phrasing) gaming markets in Japan are top-heavy as FUCK, with a few major franchises and games utterly eclipsing the competition.

>and really only adding the numbers, loot, and the grind.
This kind of design philosophy isn't unique to the western market in the slightest. Look at both the Japanese and Chinese mobile markets. Both are steeped in microtransaction-heavy games with core gameplay loops consisting of numbers, loot, and grinding, just as you wrote.

ah of course how could i forget

Attached: Laughing planeswalkers.jpg (850x500, 241K)

Considering I play said games I wouldnt say so. I would prefer an actual good design before trying to get as much skin out of the design as possible first and foremost, because I can look up actual porn after.

>behind WRPGs
literally not possible

Such as the last big JRPG?
pushsquare.com/news/2016/04/final_fantasy_xvs_dev_team_played_a_lot_of_the_witcher_3_last_year

So a gigantic train wreck hated by almost everyone that had all of its future dlc cancelled because of how much of a trainwreck it was?
That's the game carrying on witcher 3's influence?

you're most definitely cherrypicking but please OP, don't remind me of what they did to Atelier.

Attached: 1510035448845.gif (300x300, 1.04M)

I feel like Western-made games tend to creep further into MMO sensibilities than Eastern games. They all share this insipid quality seen in both their aesthetics and in their gameplay. I look at Dragon Age: Inquisition, and I see God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Assassin's Creed, and The Witcher.

>Atelier
You mean turn a series about cute girls doing alchemy into a series about cuter girls doing alchemy?

Speaking of fucking, this dude is going to get played around by Lulua like a toy. I'm expecting intense bullying.

Attached: chris 3d.png (493x1183, 135K)

I have hopes for Lulua myself, at least in the story department. Seems like it's going to be quite heavy.

I think it's funny how arlandfags try to claim they're the "real fans" and mysterious ruined everything when you compare arland to previous titles

Attached: file.png (266x375, 212K)

What's your favorite game

Ah, the classic Arland bullying is back.

Iris and MK might as well be their own series

He's Childhood Friend Character #2 (Male)
I dunno, in recent years? I really loved gravity rush 2, p5, and odyssey.

Attached: boytoy.jpg (931x449, 91K)

Speaking of bullying childhood friends, the fuck happened to gino from totori>meruru, he looks like he got plastic surgery to match sterk yet he still has the voice of a 10 year old.

Attached: Atelier-Lulua_20181108_12.jpg (960x540, 601K)

They didn't swap out his voice actor for who knows what reason.

>'s
cringe and ESL pilled. sage

JRPGs then
>Turns out the church was the real enemy!
JRPGs now
>Turns out the church was the real enemy!

I honestly enjoy JRPGs because they're so engrossing. I don't care so much for competitive games these days. I just want to escape into another world that's not as shit as ours.
>inb4 Marche

Attached: alt costume.png (276x528, 173K)

So basically awful hipster games for pedophile weebs with dogshit graphics and gameplay people pretend to like?

>I also prefer something that is much more linear
Yes, that is FFXV.
How many times do we have to said it to your face, old man?

>core mario title for a new console
>hipster game
Well you sure got me to laugh at least.

Attached: 1550951259.png (643x372, 335K)

Did you play Dragon Quest XI, Kingdom Hearts III, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Ni No Kuni 2, Octopath Traveler? Those are modern JRPGs, and this year The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III will get localized.

Kingdom Hearts in easy.

Why did you have to fucking remind me

You have brought a darkness over my life

Chrono Trigger. Possibly some other games that do easy mode but I haven't played on easy mode in a RPG.

Not in Atelier, Pokemon, and DQ

Atelier has good waifus though I really want a tsundere MC for once.

If every character is "obviously japanese" as you say then why are they all white?

the bottom image is just dlc costumes anyway. you dont have to use them. you can use the swimsuit ones instead.

Attached: 1550511913407.gif (540x540, 993K)

Yes. The japanese games were nondescript anime girls making stuff, but They mellowed out the cuteness and ramped up the stakes and aesthetics with the best series (Iris and Mana) by balancing anime cuteness with much needed high fantasy elements and more diverse character casts.

Then ruined it by doing a complete 1080 into full blown super pre-cure cute frilly dresses and airheaded girls doing airheaded cute shit with their bishi boys following them around to complete the "Fantasy" as something out of a japanese schoolgirls fanficiton and all the hyper cutesy nonsense that entails.

FF Mystic Quest

>ruined it
>mk sales so shit it never got a third game
>rorona was literally their biggest success

No idea what this is but big super fucking RIP to whoever was fans of this before its HRT.

>completely broken at launch if made in Eastern Europe.
And that's a good thing

We wuz real East

They returned to their roots, nigger.
MK1 was fine, but MK2 dropped the ball hard.

Go back to your Tales games.

it doesnt, JRPGs are still the better, but both are shit now compared with what they used to be, but at least JRPGs still got their good gameplay mechanics, except FF games, that simplified it to make it the most boring experience ever

MK1 had that alien nigger and Batman references. What a Disgaea wannabe.

Ayesha is what I started with. Still feels like the best of arland/dusk/mystery to me. Not sure if I would've gotten into Atelier if I started with one of the others honestly.

>Pander to the waifu demographic
>Get those sweet neetbux/otakucoin
>Stay that way every game since to keep it that way.
Yeah, Ruined it. At least for me. There's nothing wrong wiht it, but they decided to pander to a demographic I'm not a part of. To someone who loved MK/Iris it feels like GUST sold its soul with Rorona and lost the vision it was developing with those games in favor of a more passive seasonal-moeshit style series of games where nothing meaningful happens and the entire cast becomes nothing but cute girls and their bishi love interests. If you're into the newer Ateliers thats fine and I hope you keep enjoying the games, but it'll never be the novel series I fell in love with back on PS2 again. But thats okay.

At least try to understand where I'm coming from. I've yet to find ANYTHING thats even come close to MK/Iris, and the new games just keep getting farther and farther away from that.

Attached: 1524970847829.jpg (1221x643, 170K)

Already explained that they just went back to the formula they had been using for several years you dumb nigger.

boy that is really abysmal

>At least try to understand where I'm coming from. I've yet to find ANYTHING thats even come close to MK/Iris,

There's nothing unique about them other than the basic alchemy.

>bishi love interest

lol

Any modern JRPG is better than shit from SNES-PSOne era.

how can jrpgs even compete?

Attached: Krondor 2018-04-14 18-30-07-53.webm (1152x720, 1.25M)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=cnE9XEC5mWw

Sometimes it seems like a JRPG is just straight up broken technically and there is not even a "right way" to play it that will fix it. That's my main beef. Plus they are 100+ hours longs.

It's dumb, massively produced and the same plots are used, again and again and again. They might look different, but every girl in every moe Manga is the fucking same.

This. It's infinite cycles of exactly the same shit.

>Western gamers then
Insecure

>Western gamers now
Still insecure, but demands that Japan change for the West

uguu

Attached: 『ネルケと伝説の錬金術士たち ~新たな大地のアトリエ~』スペシャルム (1920x1080, 270K)

Old WRPGs really were the best with the way they painstakingly flesh out the game world and fills its systems full of lush detail and complex gameplay.

JRPGs at least have more or less maintained the tradition they started with, sure the recent trends have been more for the otaku crowd, but that's really because they've become a more niche thing for a niche audience on niche systems. I feel like they're making a good comeback though.

Modern WRPGS are irredeemable shit though. All the detail and complex gameplay that old WRPGs had is gone in favor of interactive hallway movies. Fortunately the new style is dying and the old style is making a comeback too.

and that's a good thing

>Talking trash about the atelier games
kys underage nigger

>the old style is making a comeback too
its been "making a comeback" since 2012

Lemme see in this pic
>the lead blonde girl with average tits being overly positive about everything
>the maid, born to obey to others' orders
>the little flatie who always gets in "embarrassing" situations for the sake of having weebs fapping to her (and she is supposed to be a professional fighter)
I might be wrong. But if not, by just simply looking at them, I can tell they are walking clichés

You might be 50% correct.

Attached: Nelke-and-the-Legendary-Alchemists-Ateliers-of-the-New-World_2018_07-20-18_010.jpg (600x702, 64K)

Yeah, and I explained to you how I'm not a part of that demo, I'm the secondary (Now virtually nonexistant) that DIDN'T want a return to the passive waifu formula, and wanted more games like those two series. Thats why you people who still buy these new games hate me, you have every right to. Had the series never returned to those roots sure, you waifufaggots might not have 10 more games of cute girls doing cute shit that eventually lead to the tetris alchemy you people ate up for the past 3 installments, but I might have had at least 1 or 2 more GOOD fantasy alchemy workshop games before GUST inevitably bit the dust for abandoning you people. I'd rather play fucking KamiDori and skip the ero shit than play any Atelier after MK.

I recognize that the BETTER outcome is the one you waifufaggots got, a company surviving by delivering to its core demo. I'm just the filthy secondary, I don't deserve to get what I want, but I still don't like being reminded of what could have been with Atelier, especially with severe drought in the alchemy workship niche I fell in love with years ago.

Iris/MK were generic as fuck anyway. Surely you can find another generic JRPG to satisfy you.

Define "good"

Attached: godslayer firis.webm (450x253, 2.95M)

>the alchemy workship niche I fell in love with years ago.

You fell in love with generic JRPGs though

The entire series is niche as fuck what are you on about. I can't think of a single game where you can craft shit in an interesting way and sell it or use equipment you make yourself that way to go fight monsters.

I've heard Rune Factory was good but I think thats more like stardew valley than an Atelier game, mostly farming with light combat stuff.

>the lead blonde girl with average tits being overly positive about everything

She's more of a wild tomboy.

>and she is supposed to be a professional fighter

Nope.

>and sell it

You don't sell shit in Iris/MK lol

Who cares JRPGs always have better porn.

So the rest is correct?
By the way, the blonde definitely does not look like a tomboy. Are you sure she got a very boy-ish attitude? Might just be extremely excited for anything

Yeah I must have had Kamidori on the mind but Selling shit, filling out requests for people/getting grades, same shit. So now that we've established they're even LESS generic than your average JRPG please tell me this wealth of games where you can do shit like that with stuff you make, and you make said stuff in an interesting way.

Star ocean? That shit was just tedious. The only good one was the PS2 one in THAT series too.

You do in Judie, for example.

WRPGs have been dogshit tier ever since the release of Oblivion.

>making an apple pie takes 3 days
What did Atelier mean by this?

She wears bike shorts and she's the most bomb crazy protagonist out of all the others to the point that she's called a bomb demon. Also has no interest in marriage whatsoever. Definitely up there amongst the most tomboyish protags.

Why not bring up Viorate instead?

I like how in the Lulua demo, Rorona is making alchemy fertilizers that turn crops gigantic. So you have giant pumpkins and carrots.

Because I haven't played it yet.

Also has a male tsundere stalker that has a crush on her. The only canon crush in Atelier

Marie = Explosive wild tomboy
Elie = Average girl
Lilie = Motherly teacher
Yudie = Eccentric time traveler
Viorate = Carrot eccentric that secretly is also a good businesswoman

Cuderia really obviously wants to fuck Gio though.
Also you get to fuck that catgirl in MK. Well, I guess that goes beyond a crush since you have like a million kids in her ending.

>Also you get to fuck that catgirl in MK

Only in her ending, which might not be canon

>Cuderia really obviously wants to fuck Gio though

Only one line in Totori. She's gayer for Rorona.

Not to mention in Lulua it was her who sent the warning letter for Rorona, demanding her to come back at once or else she would close her workshop. What a clingy gay tsun.

JRPG are objectively inferior to WRPGs

>Linear as shit story
>Many times followed by a linear as fuck world too
>All the RPG elements are gameplay related, nothing about creating your own story with your own decisions
>Also many times the gampleay sucks dicks
>And Japan is stuck in like PS3 era graphics except for Square and From

Shits a mess. Compare something like Fallout New Vegas to a game like Tales of Berseria or FFXV.

Attached: 1541816120850.jpg (780x846, 53K)

Fallout is dead. Stop bringing up past glories

Berseria >> FFXV >= New Vegas

Jrpgs always should have been about building harems but the nips can't seem to commit to that.
the closest we'll ever get is p5's romance system

youtube.com/watch?v=UBNHlgXcnME
She wants the G.

>Might not be canon
Doesn't really matter given there's never going to be a return to Mana anyway

Even fucking UBISOFT can create an RPG that is actual an RPG with its new AssCreeds compared to Japanese Developers, how sad is that

>thinking Asscreed is good

I pity you

We are talking about RPG elements here you weeb fucktard

>nothing about creating your own story with your own decisions

WRPGs are garbage at this too and are still incredibly limited for all the boasting their fans like to do. Anyone that actually gives a damn about actual roleplaying sticks to tabletop games.

Bloodborne is a JRPG

Ar Tonelico 3 was the worst AT game and it's still better than Octobloom Traveler.

Seconding Kiseki. If you play it on Easy, your life will be a breeze. They are immensely linear as well, so they seem perfect for you, especially if you're the kind of person who can enjoy a lot of dialogue.

>what is a spinoff
Also fuck you, Tony Taka's art is godlike.

True, you can feel more comfortable playing as a gay black man in Apex Legends, right bro?

At3 is better than At1. Better characters, much better main character, better plot. Combat is shit but it's not like combat in the first game was any good either.

Weebs with bad taste. What a surprise.

Octopath's visuals are the epitome of bad taste, the gameplay is even worse, especially endgame.

Yeah, you don't know what good taste is even when it bites you in the ass.

Honestly I'd just like an early 90's WRPG team to make the lore, gameplay systems, and writing while a talented and extremely degenerate JRPG team does the art, character designs, and graphics/animation work

Attached: 1531423620199.jpg (600x705, 72K)

Don't listen to anyone else in this thread.

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

>90's wrpg gameplay
Dear god no

I just want Kawazu to make a new game.

Who?

>JRPGs then
A movie.
>JRPGs now
A movie.
>CRPG/WRPGs then (AppleII/DOS days)
Fucking D&D-level awesomeness
>WRPGs now (starting with shit like BG)
A movie.

>Fucking D&D-level awesomeness

You mean terribly dated, boring shit

t. Never did a single session of DnD in his life

>boring shit
You're confused, playing a fucking barely interactive movie for hours on end is "dated, boring shit".

Go play some goddamn Wizardry or EOTB, kid.

One of Squares old guard. Worked on Final Fantasy I and II, almost the entire SaGa series, and then some.

I want to buy Dragon Quest 11. Is it good? I liked Persona games and didn't like Final Fantasy X, I'm kinda new to JRPGs.

Undertale.

that shit is still pretty expensive, though you could get the amazon release and return it if you don't like it. There's a whole other bunch you should play first though, like Chrono Trigger and Earthbound for the fraction of the money.

Mana Khemia soundtrack is so superior it's not funny.

Nah, not really.

It's far easier to appeal to waifuniggers and perma virgins with some moeshit. And they will eat even literal shit no matter what, as long as it has animushits in it. Simple as that.

Attached: 1543428084536.jpg (500x498, 22K)

That's true. Just look at gatchafaggots.

Arland improves over those wannabe mainstream JRPGs though.

Dont you dare fucking shit on Ar tonelico

>How has the quality of Japanese RPG's fallen so far behind WRPG'S?
Be happy, that's only going to last for 1 year at worst

Attached: jrpg renaissance.png (676x676, 962K)

Yeah, Atelier shouldn't have angst, politics, and grand "save the world" plots

I guess I'll start with Earthbound then

Artonelico is just a glorified waifu simulator

>Final Fantasy Lunar Tear X
no

>another weebshit gurl #97649 with a retarded design made for perma virgins playing with a death grip on their dicks
Pfff HAHAHAHAHA

>fallen knight set
kino

A shame though, I finished the first one and the fucking gameplay is easy as fuck.
Never gets any challenging, not even during the last fight with MIR.

>Bravely Default not total fucking garbage
lol

>it's bad because it's "too japanese"

Attached: 1410703009203.jpg (391x366, 23K)

You're this lover, right?

Attached: oneecyanbara.jpg (861x796, 104K)

What happened to JRPGs, bros?

Attached: JRPGs then + now.png (977x1266, 1.4M)

"moe anime" is a Western buzzword used by retards who don't know what they're talking about and think moe is some sort of genre, classification or archetype.

Attached: fastfood2.png (1280x720, 78K)

>tfw remake of the first game is gonna be censored
a shame

>Xenoblade Chronicles X2
That's not Xenoblade X2, that's Monolith's new action-fantasy franchise that's going to be unrelated to Xeno.
We don't even know if we're getting a Xenoblade X2.

Attached: new Monolith game 2.jpg (1920x759, 252K)

>Ar Tonelico series isn’t good

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Earthbound/Mother series

I don't know... Modern JRPGs are all waifupandering moeshit... I wish we could go back to the 90s when we had really JRPGs like Funny Bee...

Attached: Uchuu Kaitou Funny Bee.gif (640x360, 45K)

Did this play like Musou games?

Thanks for showing everyone your stupidity

Ignorant idiot

>We don't even know if we're getting a Xenoblade X2.
Monolith clearly said they want to do it

I can't even deny op's post when even games I do enjoy like Persona 5 and Xenoblade Chronicles 1 has that shit in

retarded weeb

Developers have said for fucking ages "We want to do a sequel to _____!" and we get nothing.

Everyting except OST and world setting is shit.

I can smell the stench of the dedicated nu-/jp/ retard. Fuck off back to your shithole.

I wanna see this.

>no cute things allowed in my RPGs!

Get fucked sorafaggot

pretty much. and then bitch about something other genre being iterative.

What do you guys even mean by "modern WRPG"? I feel that the genre has fractured.

>i want jrpgs to not have japanese aesthetics
>these female characters are simply too attractive, cuhrinnnge....
Stick to your Snoy movie games, faggots.

Attached: vMrP6F5.jpg (544x369, 28K)

How come people who complain about JRPGs usually suck at video games and can't read?

>Suikoden
>literally based on a chinese story
>western influence

based brainlet amerifat

truer words were never uttered.

>Compare something like Fallout New Vegas to a game like Tales of Berseria or FFXV.

I can't judge Tales of Berseria but New Vegas >>>> FFXV only because FFXV was such a fucking mess of a game that was held back by a shitty director

Attached: 1538265408487.jpg (749x1111, 178K)

Wrpgs have better roleplaying but the actual combat is generally always better in JRPGs.

Why did you have to go and do this?
Thinking about what happened to Shining Force is the quickest way to break my heart.

Why does everyone keep bringing up Dragon Quest XI and Octopath in this thread? they sold they shit, they can't possibly compete with moe loli panty quest 35, it's another sign the JRPG industry is further degenerating, not getting better.

Dragon Quest XI had cute shit and nobody complained about it being weeb, stop quoting things nobody ever said.

the only part about that that's correct is the maid
nelke is an "anniversary" game with characters from every previous atelier game
marie (the blonde) was the first atelier

no one's talking about super nep or death request though

Telling yourself that old JRPGs only had an "slight" Japanese art style and were influenced by the west is just being delusional.

Same thing applies to every RPG genre.

Anime as a whole was inspired by the west though.

It was a mixture of the already existing japanese art styles with popular art from the west, they weren't aiming to copy the west but to create their own pop art with still their own identity.

It was still influenced by the west, which was my point.

>they sold they shit,

Not sure if shitposting or just retarded

Nigger, the only recent WRPG that is similar to ES was KC:D. D:OS, Underrail, Age of Decadence, The Expedition Series and Shadowrun aren’t like Witcher nor ES. Stop being a liar.