>no handholding, absurd amount of content
>tons of secrets and things to discover and try out
>unique battle systems
>marked the highest points of each gen

JRPGs now:
>uguu animu moe crap as far as the eye can see
>humor pandering to literal retards
>excessive handholding and railroaded design
>complete fucking shit graphics with extremely outdated visuals and mechanics that haven't evolved for literal decades
>forgettable, unappealing, manage to sell even less than the JRPGs from the early gens despite the fact the industry has grown exponentially in size
>hasn't produced a single noteworthy title for ages and are no longe the benchmark for absolutely anything other than how hard you can sink an entire genre

What the fuck went wrong?

Attached: file.png (1148x822, 1.43M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Umwyql5c3Rk
youtube.com/watch?v=1BkcuEz5ivo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The west took over and developing large JRPGs became way more expensive

Kingdom Hearts 3 was the best selling game of january.

Persona 5 begs to differ

Attached: 31C3FB39-C2F6-4A2A-9915-D09E530F0DDC.jpg (968x681, 118K)

ah, this meme again
Only a few more posts before the thread stops being related to video games entirely and starts arguing about how anime in the 80's was/wasn't moe
At least it's not a generic east vs west

Attached: 1537969255936.jpg (1016x2100, 1.01M)

>uguu animu moe crap
>pandering on top of pandering on top of pandering to weebs
>you can easily cut 60% of all in-game text and the game would actually improve
>excessive exposition
>"humor" pandering to literal retards
>sold as much as the ps1 jrpg classics at the time of their release despite the humongous size of the modern industry
>recycled uninspired formula even down the exact same final boss for the third time in a row now, really highlighting how freshly milked that cow is

Attached: 1434954448084.jpg (310x263, 22K)

Shut up shill

Chrono cross > chrono trigger, fuck you

All of old Yea Forums would agree with you.

You know I'm right

How much did it sell

>Kingdom Hearts 3
who?

What is he shilling

Take off your nostalgia glasses, op.
>JRPGs then
>>huge amazing open world to explore
Mostly liniear corridors or small rooms instead of big locations(due to hardware limitations)
>>used to be the benchmark for graphics and tech advancement
Eeeeh, i guess? But not FF7 for sure. It looked meh even on release. Vagrant Story on the other hand looks gorgeous for ps1 game
>>no handholding
Are you fucking kidding me? Most of jrpgs hold your hand till the final boss.
>absurd amount of content
I guess? Then again it doesn't applies to most of the games in your pic. FF7 has like 5 times less the content compared to FF6, a fucking SNES game.
>>tons of secrets and things to discover and try out
Ehh, you are just padding out your arguments, this sentence could be just part of "absurd amount of content"
>>unique battle systems
LMAO, FF 1-8 have minimal differences in gameplay. Yes, some games have job sysem or magic junction but in the end it's the same shit with "spam attack if weak random encounter monster or use Summon if bosses".
>>marked the highest points of each gen
Debatable, but i guess FF6 was indeed on of the best SNES games

NuJRPGs.

Kys you're not

>JRPGs now:
>>uguu animu moe crap as far as the eye can see
True, but that shit was back then too
>>humor pandering to literal retards
As opposed to previous super intelligent humor like LOL CLOUD KISSED A MAN HAHA WHAT A HOMO?
>>excessive handholding and railroaded design
Same shit as it always was
>>complete fucking shit graphics with extremely outdated visuals and mechanics that haven't evolved for literal decades
Eh, i can agree on graphics for this gen JRPGS, but FF13 looked amazing when it came out(the game itself is still shit tho)
But mechanics part? Hmm, it's actually evolved a bit, you didn't notice that because you only play mainstream SE games.
>>forgettable, unappealing, manage to sell even less than the JRPGs from the early gens despite the fact the industry has grown exponentially in size
XV, despite being garbage, sold 8 millions.
Marketing is a huge deal nowadays, you can sell literal pile of shit if you hype it up.
Case in point: Desteny2
>>hasn't produced a single noteworthy title for ages and are no longe the benchmark for absolutely anything other than how hard you can sink an entire genre
KH2FM, SMT4, DQ11, Berseria, Nier.

>How much did it sell

At least 5 million copies + who knows how much digitally. According to it surpassed sales expectations

>JRPGs then
>unique battle systems

>TATAKAE
>MAHOU
>AITEMU
>NIGGERO

Attached: 1530918168214.jpg (240x240, 32K)

>Parasite Eve
>Open world
Are you fucking retarded? Parasite Eve was linear as fuck.

>shipped

>Lauds old jrpgs
>Uses "excessive exposition" as a critique

When you just KNOW user is retarded

sold

>What the fuck went wrong?

You didn't support SaGa games.

>Eeeeh, i guess? But not FF7 for sure. It looked meh even on release.

Do zoomers really think this? FF7 blew minds with how gorgeous the prerendered backgrounds were.

Retard

Models look fuck ugly tho. Re1 was out before it and it looked better thanks to realistic(for that time) graphics and style

Everyone focuses on the cutscenes but the backgrounds in the game really were top tier.

If you're that user I apologise. I didn't read your whole post. You're clearly just a big ff6 fan that's ass blasted that ff7 got more acclaim.

>FF7-babby calls others zoomers

Attached: 1535627448537.jpg (400x400, 20K)

Do you remember starting highschool in 1997 and seeing all the adds and discussion of FF7 heralding it as the future of gaming?

The backgrounds were revolutionary. Like nothing that had been made before.

Wouldn't VII-babbies technically be boomers? Or have the terms finally and absolutely lost all meaning now?

>huge amazing open world to explore
the maps in these games were literally just straight lines 90% of the time

Attached: Arris-Dome-01.png (768x768, 72K)

>Zoomers born 3+ years after FF7 released.

Back pedal now kid! Before it's too late!

Attached: 1494732851356.png (500x405, 180K)

Friendly reminder that only retards who don't play a lot of JRPGs actually think OP is correct

Attached: PCE games.jpg (3800x2688, 3.52M)

I wish we could go back and play REAL JRPGs.

Attached: Fray in Magical Adventure.jpg (800x1085, 318K)

"Boomers" is a zoomer term. Being in highschool when FF7 released we just called ourselves... Kids? No one was on internet forums like this so we didn't have these faggy pseudo cliques.

Majority of the people who claim to be oLdFagS are 16-20 years old tryhards.
Except they are not trying hard enough, most of them can't stand 2d snes games, while FF7 is a perfect gateway for them, because it's overyhyped as fuck and the graphics are more or less decent

By turbo NEET week standards you might be right. I played predominantly JRPGs in the 90s, but.only stuff that got brought to the west because I can't read Japanese.

I'm ok with this

Attached: JRPGs then + now.png (977x1266, 1.4M)

Plenty of JRPGs that got brought to the West were waifu simulators.

Attached: 61rXMp8wJwL._SX342_.jpg (342x299, 33K)

As long as we agree the terms need to fuck off already.

>the anime argument

You have to stop with this fucking nonsense. Just because a title has a visual design you don't like doesn't make it bad.

Pokemon has had the same generic anime layout for the past two decades but nobody ever calls that series out.

>But not FF7 for sure
Didn't even bother reading the rest of your crap because your new is showing. Final Fantasy VII was literally what Sony used to showcase 3D and they mocked the hell out of nintendo with it on magazine ads.

Eh, I don't really consider them the same as waifu Sims as the games today. Unless I missed a lot.

Waifu games today let you choose. Old JrpgS generally had linear stories where protagonist either got with a Canon girl or all the girls harem style.

Games today have a focus on social choice. Like P5. (Though I don't play all the weebest ones anymore) that's just my take though

FFX went wrong. It was a corridor stringing together shitty melodramatic cutscenes... and people loved it. It also had godawful VA and now we need that too.

>what is overworld, specially in a game where you can literally time travel, explore places as you please and influence timelines on a goddamn snes

Isn't that JRPGs now? The three Xenoblades have the most vast and largely imaginative worlds in JRPG history.

Attached: Xenoblade X kino.jpg (3989x2529, 3.94M)

>bunch of literal who titles nobody gave a fuck about
Ironically enough, those things are actually above the kind of crap you see on modern jrpgs.

Yeah, I love fetch quests for that genuine offline mmo feeling.

Huge step down from Xenogears.

Attached: Xenoblade 2 kino.jpg (2000x1967, 1.54M)

>never heard about them so they don’t count

What does this have to do with "huge amazing open world to explore"?

>offline mmo
>amazing exploration

So much this. XB is fake Xeno. All oldbros and boomers agree.

Keep defending your offline mmo zoomer. We just be chillin' here talkin about that good shit, that 90s shit.

>tokimemo
>JRPG
is it really

LMAAOOOOOOO So much this.

All this truth and noone to debate it. Based boomers win again.

>special snowflake simulator

Attached: persona.jpg (1872x250, 128K)

>literally who
>actually above
How can you act like you know anything about these games which you describe as "literally who"?
Plenty of them aren't "literally who", pic related sold enough to get multiple sequels, a bunch of spin-offs, two separate anime and a manga and is considered just as successful as Chrono Trigger and its contemporaries were inside of Japan, the only difference is that it never made it over seas to sell even more.
It's basically a comedy about a girl who wins an moe beauty pageant and becomes a galactic Idol who goes around adding women to her lesbian harem and beating villains with the power of friendship.

Attached: Galaxy Fräulein Yuna.jpg (1421x1401, 304K)

Everyone knows Japan has shit taste. You judge them by international reception not domestic.

Keep damage controlling shill. You know we're right.

quite literally the best worlds in gaming, not just RPGs, are in the xenoblade games

HOOOORRRNNYYYY

compared to what? The three xenoblade games alone take a fat dump on any world/exploration of old jRPGs, that goes for content, secrets, unique battle systems as well

Attached: 420.jpg (995x933, 87K)

Fuck off Eric.

Attached: Galaxy Fraulein Yuna.jpg (1280x1604, 666K)

See Still undebated, still king.

"offline mmo" tells me nothing about the quality of the exploration.

MMO

Keep damage controlling shill.
Still undebated. Still king.

argument for what? you didn't say anything of substance

nelsha best girl

>offline mmo
>quality exploration

People need to learn that the literal size of the world isn't as important as scope and having meaningful things to explore and discover.

Attached: digimon-world-1-agumon-file-city.png (640x480, 97K)

I've been following you since your meltdown in Kiseki threads back in 2016, Eric. You don't even like JRPGs, you said so yourself. There's nothing to debate with you.

Attached: el homo consider the following.jpg (312x560, 30K)

all sales figure are reported as shipped idiot

Who wants to debate truth? Lol

>People need to learn that the literal size of the world isn't as important as scope and having meaningful things to explore and discover.

Yeah.

Look at FFXV. Large ass open world. Fuck all to discover outside of weapons (which drain your HP on use) that the plot claims are needed to topple the empire (pro tip: you don't need them at all)

if you have to use an unfinished game to support your argument, chances are you're wrong. exploration in old jRPGs sucks compared to newer ones, even smaller games like YS VIII are better

>JRPGs then
This was never remotely true. In virtually every jrpg in general, the overworld is shaped like a corridor, conveniently barricaded by mountains and shorelines (and the sea itself is barricaded by reefs, so the game is still linear even when you get a ship) so that you can only proceed down one path, which is inevitably the next plot-critical location, which is typically nestled in some environmental chokepoint so that you HAVE to pass through it and progress the plot before you can access the next part of the world. This leads to very unnatural world design and means there is pretty much no exploration in these games, until you unlock the airship near the end of the game, at which point you've already been forced to traverse the majority of the world in a linear fashion.

Attached: 19812821.jpg (600x600, 32K)

>The west took over and developing large JRPGs became way more expensive
What does that have to do with anything? Bethesda RPGs for example are developed with a fraction of the budget and resources it cost to make a mainline Final Fantasy game.

>if you have to use an unfinished game to support your argument

it's not like the DLCs actually added shit to the empty world map.

You got a boat but nothing to do with it

Persona 5 is no where near as bad as something like Xenoblade 2, Persona 4 is much more weebish. P5 keeps most of its anime bullshit between Palace 4 and 5, everything after palace 5 is just exposition for story whereas games like P4 and XBC2 litter that cringey anime garbage across the entire game.

>14 year old emulator kiddies pretending to be boomers will unironically tell you Xenoblade X's world isn't a technical achievement
Largest open world made entirely by hand without generation, and still has more content and interesting landscapes than the Western open worlds it competes with
youtube.com/watch?v=Umwyql5c3Rk

Attached: nobody cares.png (500x375, 215K)

>thinking FFXV is finished even with the DLC
hahaha

What's wrong with being linear?
Has the open world meme rotted peoples brains?

>JRPGs then
>unique battle systems

>simplistic menu-based systems rehashes aud nauseum
>unique battle systems, highest points of each gen

Attached: 12344889445.jpg (2000x1797, 853K)

>P5 keeps most of its anime bullshit between Palace 4 and 5
was the point at which the game pulls a god out of its ass who is defeated by the power of friendship between those? no, it's at the fucking climax

I am aware that XV got cancelled story DLCs.

but even the base game (I didn't buy any DLCs for the worst FF game) was empty as fuck

>Largest open world made entirely by hand without generation
Source?

yes, it's unfinished. My point still stands

When people call something over anime, it is not just the artstyle they are talking about, but the way the story progresses, the way the characters interact wich each other, the way the characters behave with the world, how their personalities can be easily described by anime archetypes, how every joke can be found in some ecchi anime, and so on.

If you think anime is talking just about artstyle...Then you are fucking stupid.

Attached: Gerson Rape Time.jpg (620x465, 81K)

>Largest open world made entirely by hand without generation
I don't think that's true, Xenoblade X still takes a fat shit on every other jRPG world ever made though. Retarded nostalgiafags ITT

Attached: xenoblade_chronicles_x__sylvalum_1__by_acetaris_d9jzyes-pre[1].jpg (1534x521, 156K)

The way you guys write makes me think a lot is riding on FF7R

>complete fucking shit graphics with extremely outdated visuals
>Caring about graphics
>At all

Producing AAA games for modern day consoles costs too much money thanks to graphic whores such as yourself.

>FF7 has like 5 times less the content compared to FF6
Just because you have a big cast of pixels that all do the same thing doesn't mean it's "more content"

It is true. Most open world game developers like Bethesda combine computer procedural generation and handmade generation. Xenoblade X was made entirely by hand.

There's larger open worlds out there, (Just Cause 4), but XBX is the largest made from the ground up making it a technical achievement.

Based and sparkpilled SaGabro

i would normally agree but i hate these chibi styles every game seems to come in these days

Attached: 1343590395777.png (328x270, 47K)

I'm pretty sure that belongs to something like guild wars, which is kind of cheating since it continuously adds content. I'm actual curious though, I wonder what the biggest hand made non-MMO world is

>people who played FF7 as kids when released are zoomers

I don't think you know what that word means.

>>uguu animu moe crap as far as the eye can see

Don't know about the rest of you, but THIS is why I never liked games like Nippon Ichi games (think like Disgaea), the Tales series, or Persona. I hate that lazy cheap looking anime otaku trash.

As does anyone with any semblance of taste

Making realistic proportions makes the cheaper graphics feel cheaper.

>JRPGs then
>used to be the benchmark for graphics and tech advancement
>no handholding, absurd amount of content
>tons of secrets and things to discover and try out
>unique battle systems
The xenoblade series alone does these better than classic jRPGs except for being a benchmark which it would if monolith soft wasn't stuck on garbage nintendo hardware

Attached: monopon.png (1700x1290, 2.59M)

Depending on the game, a separate battle screen can be a decent idea, especially if they are ARPG. It can be frustrating to get locked out of important menus because you accidentally triggered an encounter/ aggro'd an enemy.

Attached: file.png (600x524, 319K)

Yeah, and it shows.

It's crazy how fast mechs are
>takes 30 minutes to fly across all of the continents in a mech
>but driving in a mech would take 2 hours
>and running on foot would take 4-5 times as long as that to cover the same distance (not counting having to run around terrain)

>Thinking anime just means art style
C'mon now.

>responding to wrpgfag

I'd toss FFXII in as a contender, but that might be my bias speaking since its one of my favorite games, and the interconnectivity of the individual areas probably makes it feel bigger than it really is.

FFXV is a shit game (like betheshit) and the exception to the rule, stop bringing it up

no fucking way FFXII is even close to being as large as XCX or Guild Wars. It's not even as large as the original xenoblade which was the smallest

These art styles are used in the majority of times as mere excuses for either a low budget or mere developer incompetence, and retarded fanboys lap it up and try to pass these pices of trash as "le quirky artstyle xd"

>stuck on the Wii U which was an underpowered piece of shit
>has the largest content-filled open world of its gen
Monolith are wizards

>never made it overseas
Then who fucking cares?

forgot pic

Attached: Oblivia screenshot.jpg (2560x1198, 2.22M)

Play more Dragon Quest games.

>t-those don't count!
Every time

I do. Most of the best JRPGs don't get brought over.

Attached: Wachenroder.jpg (1200x745, 208K)

Japan should stop using anime-like aesthetics in games.

Attached: anime_was_a_mistake.jpg (1400x1355, 622K)

>Most of the best JRPGs don't get brought over.
tfw EOPs will never play JRPG of the decade

Attached: Rance-X-cover.jpg (554x700, 154K)

>Art then
>half naked people
>Art now
>half naked people

I don't see the problem.

Pretty much my biggest gripes with JRPG's is that they play out like an anime most of the time. I don't mind goofy moments or cute storytelling, but there's just way too much garbage that finds its way in to these games now.

Or maybe not. Maybe the 16-bit era's limitations were causing my mind to fill in the details, and this interpretation was better for me than what the directors probably wanted.

Attached: file.png (1200x675, 1.49M)

What is your picture trying to convey?

rance is older than you and all of the underage born-in-the wrong-generation children in this thread you faggot

Attached: CG078.png (416x291, 12K)

Attached: West was a mistake.png (1392x766, 2.28M)

This looks too way too moe for 1989

Nigger are you fucking kidding?

zoomer or western gaming idiot, take your pick

How new.ru

look at this dude

>these are the people that complain about modern jrpgs and modern anime
holy shit.
meanwhile in 1984

Attached: 1550631899846.webm (640x480, 1.45M)

>Animation was better back th-

Nice non-sequitur.

English translation when

what went wrong?
manchildren waifu fags.

Not the guy you responded to

DQ11 is great tho

Good another thread where I can shill this game

Attached: CF0EE5DF-7D5A-4C45-9E49-CEFE4D3F2B1F.jpg (300x300, 28K)

You excited for the 2025 English release of Scarlet Grace too?

Attached: Saga-Scarlet-Grace_May252018_07.jpg (1280x720, 127K)

have you even played p5?

RIght back at ya

Attached: mr2.jpg (640x621, 78K)

they have fantastic graphical design, but their character design is lacking

Which was the last truly great JRPG?
Lost Odyssey (2007)?
Xenoblade 1 (2010)?

I'm leaning on these two.

>Lost Odyssey (2007)?

Nah, outside of name recognition and production values, it wasn't anything special.

you KNOW someone is a retarded xbox idiot when they call lost odyssey good. It was the second worst major jRPG release of last gen next to FFXIII, fuck out of here

JRPG """"fans"""" are retards that don’t know what they want. I can absolutely assure you that if their favourite games were released today under a different title, with modern character designs and a few awkward tropey scenes sprinkled in they would absolutely shit on them despite 95% of the content being the same. This is the height of their critical thinking and taste.

Zero/Ao no kiseki duology.

>hasn't produced a single noteworthy title for ages and are no longe the benchmark for absolutely anything other than how hard you can sink an entire genre
that was true until Dragon Quest XI. also que a bunch of retards claiming Persona 5 is god tier

>lost odyssey
>good
it fucking killed sakaguchi's legacy, xenoblade shat on the grave when it eclipsed last story and devolved mistwalker into a mobile company

Attached: E TU.jpg (600x600, 41K)

>being this retarded or baiting this hard
the long text wall makes me think he doth just be retarded

these arn't jrpg fans, they're western gaming idiots that played a final fantasy or two (a mediocre series that turned to shit last gen) in the past

LO itself was fine, it was basically a rebranded FF. Now Blue Dragon, that game probably did more harm than good. It tried to be the next Chrono Trigger/Dragon Quest, but came out so shoddy that everyone tried to forget about it.

Only retarded pseuds and manime fags think Lost Odyssey is any good. Xenoblade is much much better.

Alliance Alive (2018)

It's kind of sad how a series of porn JRPGs that are intentionally tropey as fuck has consistently better writing, characters and pay-off than 90% of JRPGs that came out in the last 15 years.
Music too.
youtube.com/watch?v=1BkcuEz5ivo

Attached: Rance Sill.jpg (900x1213, 336K)

if LO is your benchmark for "truly great", then etrian odyssey nexus released feb 5 2019

that feel when loli with tanlines.

Attached: 014.jpg (339x328, 57K)

nah it's just xtards who didn't know better. Same people spreading the tales of vesperia is phenominal meme when it's really just above average

>rebranded FF
so mediocre as shit except without the production values or team size of FF?

Blue dragon sucked too, I would say that's about as bad maybe worse than LO. I dunno if I'd say it's a major release, if so LO is still the third worst. Not a good indicator

sauce?

LITTLE GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRL

it used to be OK until things like the god awful FF13 and all it's horrible iterations. At some point it just became a way for companies to be fucking lazy not as a way to reduce resource uses

How is the guy from SeaQuest relevant to that post?

That's just alicesoft games in general

Fucking evenicle made me care more about its characters and story than garbage like persona 5 or xenoblade 2

Careful now user, they might talk about how they’ve played Vagrant Story and Chrono Trigger!

Where? There's only a handful of open world JRPGs out there like super hydlide.
The rare free roam JRPGs like SaGa or Metal Max are despised by people like you too so I don't get what you're talking about.
>>used to be the benchmark for graphics and tech advancement
Lol, most JRPGs were absurdly low budget and didn't push their hardware one bit.
>>no handholding
Lol, the vast majority of those games handhold you so hard you can't even get out of the mandatory tutorial sections, who are you trying to fool.
>>absurd amount of content
Not really, unless by content you mean cutscenes.
>>tons of secrets and things to discover and try out
Where? Surely not in any of the games in you OP, let alone most of the others.
>>unique battle systems
Out of all the games in your OP the only one that isn't the same tired standard babby shit is PE, and you babbies hate actual unique battle systems too.

Also thisYou fags talk big but at the end of the day you like the most casual, plebeian, tasteless trash possible.

I will forever be thankful to the few /jp/ autists who translated this (for free) years ago for my hundreds of hours of enjoyment.

Attached: GeniusOfSappheirosCover.png (354x500, 326K)

>Evenicle
See pic related

Attached: 1447172326006.jpg (640x621, 72K)

A far better modern jrpg than almost anything Tales has put out in the past decade. Better than literal moefag retard weeb shit that is Xenoblade 2 and Fire Emblem, better than fucking Akiba's beat or most of the tryhard edgy teen retard games from NIS.

Xenoblade 2 is the best RPG of the decade undisputably

I was there when it launched, and I still tought the character models were absolute garbage. If anything, it only made me think "3D is not the future, go back" until VIII was released.

Tenchu 2 is a game that blew my mind over how gorgeous it was, the only jrpg that did the same was Valkyrie Profile

Attached: Arikado.jpg (520x566, 71K)

TWEWY was pretty great imo

Attached: 9C2DD8FA-A25D-448F-ADC9-11A86D57371E.jpg (1024x576, 120K)

I like VIII a lot since it's the only 3D FF game that had actual complexity in his role playing system.

>it's the only 3D FF game that had actual complexity in his role playing system.

Attached: 1432199013785.gif (350x266, 1.7M)

>shit tier dungeon design
>baby mode combat made easier than previous persona games which is easier than SMT
>story goes to shit after madarame, ends off on an awful arc
>characters have no chemistry (one of the biggest pulls of persona) aside from ryuji and ann
>bloated with unneeded shit that only makes the simple combat more boring, kaneshiro and yaldabaoth arc should have been cut with okumida being shortened
>only 1 event and it's fucking shit (hawaii) making the off combat gameplay boring as fuck
>lots of months left off to sell later as a rerelease alongside goro living confident for the fujos

nah, fuck P5. Tales of Vesperia remaster, xenoblade 2, and many other jRPGs offer more than P5 this gen. FE isn't even the same genre

Why haven't Square remade one of the greatest games ever that they still haven't released on the U.S. PSN store REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE making me spend money buying an original one on Ebay to replay on my ps3

Attached: Brave_Fencer_Musashi__39611.1505328031.jpg (1280x1110, 507K)

Well... it does?

Play FF Tactics.

>it's the only 3D FF game that had actual complexity in his role playing system.

How?
because you had to draw spells and not kill a thing due to level scaling?

>wanting modern SE to touch Musashi

Did the ps2 sequel teach you nothing?

>Drawing anything but GFs from bosses

Where?
There's no roleplaying to speak of, there's no player input on the story nor any gameplay outside of battles, the game will be exactly the same every time you play through it, not to mention that it's linear as all hell like the rest of the series.
And when it comes to battles you can't even change your characters' loadout since it's all proprietary equipment in a straight upgrade line, the characters are all functionally the same too since the only thing that distinguishes them is their proprietary limit break, not to mention how the combat itself is just as braindead and buggy as the rest of the series, where the strategy boils down to Meltdown>Aura>LB spam.
Not even the level scaling works correctly since FF designers are absurdly incompetent, where is this supposed roleplaying you speak of?

How many of you youngsters have ever played Legend of Dragoon? Great game highly recommended it was Sony's response to FFVII in visuals and is fantastic. Still looks great today when played on a psp or a vita and available digitally, highly recommend.

Attached: dragoon.jpg (342x347, 45K)

I have

VOLCANO

>Great game
LoD is anything but great, and this comes from a 30 years old boomer who played it when it was new and shitposted for years in the old /jrpgg/ threads.
HARPOON

>Not drawing apocalypse and casting it right back

very average game, only ever brought up by nostalgiafags. If it was remade it would get torn to shreds due to its "legacy"

maybe if half of them weren’t unfinished the series would get more love.

This really only applies to the first Frontier. Its mostly a meme otherwise.

you're a liar if you don't think it was great and are truly an oldfaggot who played it when it came out. I remember Sony sending me a VHS tape to hype it up before it released when I filled out and sent in a product registration card in another game

Nice meme, most FF are unfinished too by the way.

look another retard

RS1 has a ton of unused stuff suggesting it was supposed to have more. Unlimited isn’t unfinished but it is fucking stupid
i haven’t touched XV and never will. I still really SaGa and feel that it was always a bit held back by certain aspects lacking polish.

>muh game I played as a kid is perfect!
replay this shit on an emulator, it's not very good

>you're a liar if you don't think it was great
What exactly was great about LoD?

>Looked like shit even for its time
>Gameplay is even dumber than FF, literally smash X to win, or avoid to do even that since you can put on accessories to skip the QTEs
>Story is atrocious and voice acting even more so
>Even more on rails than FF to the point that the world map is a literal railroad and you also have to swap discs if you ever want to move around areas, not like there's any reason to, but still
>Literally nothing to do outside of the main quest, unless you count gathering stardust, which gives you nothing but a glorified extra shop and the optional battle with Faust, which is just as boring as the rest of the game
>Dragon form, your main gameplay feature, is absolutely pointless if not downright forbidden to use in most boss battles starting from disc 2 since bosses tend to instakill you when you use it and you do more damage on your normal form either way
>No reason to use anyone but Haschel and Meru since they're broken
>Kongol somehow exists
>Shana is just there for one disc until it gets replaced by another literal who, Miranda
>Music sounds like something recorded in a tuna can 20000 leagues under the sea and then reproduced on a Genesis chip, this is coming from Sony itself, which were the cutting edge leaders of audio compression at the time, which is extra embarassing.
>Unlimited isn’t unfinished but it is fucking stupid
Opinion instantly discarded

play it on a vita or psp mongoloid

Attached: 1549906828543.jpg (456x810, 27K)

>and this comes from a 30 years old boomer
No one over the age of 20 uses the term "boomer" to refer to people born before 1990. Nice try kiddo.

>>RS1 has a ton of unused stuff suggesting it was supposed to have more.

Lots of games have unused portions that can still be found in bits and pieces of code. Granted SaGa suffers from this more than most series, which is why I said its "mostly" a meme. Frontier is the only one that can arguably be considered unfinished even to a layman. Every other release is either well within the limits of the design they set out for, or cap things off the best they can to offer as complete a product as they could.

>Unlimited isn’t unfinished but it is fucking stupid

Which is irrelevant to the topic of games being unfinished or not. Funnily enough Unlimited is probably the most "complete" entry in the series.

Amazing argument, but go see a doctor for that anal fissure, you're leaking a lot of blood.

>Granted SaGa suffers from this more than most series
That's mostly because Romancing SaGa games used a particular high level coding, which is also why they're extremely moddable compared to a lot of other console games of the time, most of those games still have leftovers of quests that were scrapped early on or mid development because the team were more worried about other things than completely erasing any trace of things nobody at the time would have thought to crack.

People in the fanbase tend to point this out mostly because it offers more material for theorycrafting or wondering how some things would have been, like the RS2 files about Toma being a playable character in its short kidnapping quest, but outsiders just use this as a meme to say the games were incomplete, when it's not really the case, that leftover data you find in the games was never meant to be to begin with, not even most of the stuff in Frontier.

If it doesn't have a world map it's not a JRPG.

Attached: Yotsuba 4ch.jpg (295x295, 24K)

lol

>i haven’t touched XV and never will

Even pre-merger FFs can be considered unfinished in various ways. Its not just limited to the XV debacle.

VI i can agree is somewhat unfinished but I still love it. I never said that the Saga games were worse off because of it, just that they’re a hard sell. When’s the RS3 remake?

I just wanna say

Old hand drawn but flawed JRPG art > Photoshop and rendering orgies of newer games

Attached: 1479534638373.jpg (1100x1758, 888K)

Even the modern rpgs are all like almost a decade old.

I enjoyed that game too

>developed between 1991 and 2001
FF 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
>developed between 2004 and 2009
FF 13
>developed between 2006 and 2016
FF 15

Attached: 1430920999269s.jpg (125x123, 2K)

literal fucking retard, he isnt shilling, stop trying to pretend like you're not a newfag and spam buzzwords you see on this site.

Is that supposed to be Infinite Space in the bottom corner?

Death End re;Quest (2018)

I think you meant to type "www.reddit.com" in your browser, kiddo

>>VI i can agree is somewhat unfinished but I still love it

Even I and II are notorious for how unfinished they are in spots, with spells not working and the infamous balance issues of II. IX suffered from having to cut a lot of story concepts to get the game out the door, which is why Freya's arc ends so abruptly and Amarant feels like such a non-character. You'd be surprised how much gets left on the cutting room floor.

>When’s the RS3 remake?

Soon™

I don’t really like IX so I agree. II’s issues seem to mostly be deliberate, which isn’t exactly better.

>about to call out poster for being stupid saying Lost Odyssey is 'truly great'
>other posters already have

keep up the good work. Fuckin terribly average obsolete game with a 3D skin.

Only redeeming features being the art and Dreams.

Attached: 1550798245473.gif (500x450, 19K)

>When’s the RS3 remake?
It will probably come out in spring given how they drastically altered the original development plans to make it a global release for all platforms.
If they sticked to the original Vita+Phone release it would have come out already, but later they decided to port it to fucking everywhere like they did with the global RS2 rerelease so they're taking their time to make it happen, moreover Re: UniverSe has been a gigantic hit in Japan so Ichikawa and Kawazu are probably jumping between that and overseeing the RS3 remaster.

"Deliberate" is a bit of a misnomer. II's system was, as far as I'm aware, one of the first of its kind, so there wasn't really a template to follow and they just had to wing it and hope for the best.

If you put aside how structurally the game was pretty much Ultima IV, II was technically the first of its kind when it came to battle and character growth mechanic, in those terms there really wasn't any template to follow, it was just one man exploring completely new possibilities which were later fully realized with the SaGa series, so you can kind of close an eye on a lot of oversights since it was actually pretty groundbreaking in what it tried to accomplish.

That's like, you opinion man

>>developed between 2006 and 2016
>FF 15

don't forget the unnecessary XIII seques

I just want another Suikoden. Is there any games like it out there?

I didn't think Suikoden IV was that bad, just kinda weak in some aspects

Attached: 61AKsgTItfL._SX342_.jpg (342x343, 37K)

The Japs I think hit a generational turnover during the PS3/360 era. The old talent retired and new talent lacked the same qualities. It's the same for anime, all the gold is from the 90s-mid 2000s.

>It's the same for anime, all the gold is from the 90s-mid 2000s.

Attached: 14908115541828.jpg (1202x900, 125K)