I'm thinking about getting this. Does it hold up? What about the multiplayer, is it still alive?

I'm thinking about getting this. Does it hold up? What about the multiplayer, is it still alive?

Attached: quake.png (946x496, 537K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/CGj4gXyCzg0
i.imgur.com/U71eEFe.png
youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU
youtube.com/watch?v=bDgRpOKVzoM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

yes but use patches, the base game barely runs on steam

Ohhhh shittt son! Is that monster getting ready to do the default dance!? He's about to hit the dab!!!! LMFAOOMG

Worth it for community content. Don't forget to play with the OST.

Attached: codename_mourningvale.webm (480x270, 1.44M)

Yes. Use FitzQuake Mark V, and have the soundtrack and .lit/.vis files for the maps.

>Does it hold up?

ayo hol up, why you want to fucking buy it? Game is older than the people posting here? Just "get it" somewhere else.

Piracy is thievery no matter what you try to argue with it.

Besides, buying it give the money directly to the devs, which is good.

Just pirate it. Nobody who worked on the game will get any of the money you spend on it.

Attached: your post.gif (320x228, 1.78M)

Damn right it does. I started playing it for the first time just a couple of weeks ago, and man, does it have godtier atmosphere. It's not as fast paced as Doom, but it certainly keeps the tension.

>buying a 23y/o game
>giving money to Zenimax
>buying it on Steam

what a tool

Attached: 1310316317862jpg.jpg (384x332, 24K)

It isn't going to the original devs. It's going to Bethesda to fun another F076.

Yeah. Get the GoG release. The steam release doesn't have any CD audio. Or just pirate it like a normal person
should have a link to a copy in the OP

its a worse version of Doom

How is that digital stores don't include the fucking OST?

And doom 3 better then quake 2 right?

Quake 2 was a tech demo.

they're both shit
quake 2 is probably slightly better

Downloading the pirate version, will I be able to play online?

more like doom 3 then quake 2

It's his decision if he likes to "own" it

Attached: fag-buys-music-1.gif (600x610, 49K)

just pirate it
youtu.be/CGj4gXyCzg0

Attached: 1499174258541.gif (671x673, 29K)

maybe blue guy buys mobile games?
or pays indian scammers with them

Isn't Quake 4 just Doom 3 2?

>stars rating
Take me back.

Attached: chair_clattering.jpg (1024x427, 21K)

buy it and then immediately download quakespasm and turn off texture filtering.

also if your mouse jumps around on you using quakespasm read this shit

"You don't need a patch or mess with dll files. Run quakespasm.exe instead of quakespasm-sdl12.exe. This will fix the mouse jumping issue.

Explanation: It's a bug in an older version of the SDL library. Quakespasm comes with two versions of it, SDL 1 and SDL 2. You can choose which one to use by using the different executables to start the game (quakespasm.exe for SDL 2 and quakespasm-sdl12.exe for SDL 1.2)"

You can if you download EzQuake or nQuake. Either way there is nobody playing MP these days unless you find someone else and arrange a match with them.
You should just download Quakespasm or Darkplaces and focus on single player. You can download one of the MP ports I mentioned as well, but it's only going to gather dust. Pic related explains everything (too large for 4chin).
If you REALLY want to play Quake multiplayer then you should either buy QL or try out Quake Champions, which is free. Both have small but active communities.

i.imgur.com/U71eEFe.png

Attached: quake time.png (500x497, 154K)

>Does it hold up?

oh absolutely i played this shit like 2 years ago and i had a blast, still holds up remarkably well

>What about the multiplayer, is it still alive?

i have no idea, never tried it

also also, make sure to write down what runes you aquire. There is a console command that can restore your runes if the save file corrupts and then you'll have to open a console command and load the final map. It has only happened to me once and honestly, quake can be beaten quickly in one sitting. Just thought i'd give you a heads up.

Also also, if you do some googling, look up on how to get the music playing. specifically for quakespasm. It will make the game so much better. Reznor made an awesome soundtrack

Make sure to enable permanent mouse look in the console.
I forget the command.

heres one think boomers will never admit:

Quake aged much better than Doom

Attached: 1411553811223.jpg (225x255, 11K)

youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU

boomers actually say that all the time
boring no effort levels near the end of the game are much worse than busted no effort enemies appearing near the end

>If Quake was done today
So, Quake Champions? Fine

Q2 is better

youtube.com/watch?v=bDgRpOKVzoM

Attached: quads.jpg (500x502, 197K)

get quake 2 instead

Q2 just have better weapons and multiplayer. Oh, and colored lighting

Friendly reminder that in 7 days 3D Realms will announce a new FPS game on Quake engine (read: Darkplaces) and that Levelord and the journos already love it.

really? i was playing that the other day and it was just annoying how many monster closets there are with enemies appearing all the time after you press a bottom or behind you after you enter a room

quake didnt have that shit if i remember correctly

Yes. You don't seem to get that you're not playing the original version of Quake online ever. It's a DOS game that doesn't even support TCP/IP connections without an external add-on that only works on Windows 9x. anyway. Whether you pay or pirate you'll be using a modern OpenGL source port made by fans to play in either single or multi player.

If you want to play Quake classic multiplayer, you'd better buy five 1996 DOS machines to set up a bloody IPX token ring network for your retro cave.

back tracking

Is the game still alive? It was good but needed more maps and modes.

No.

No.

>five
I don't know why I typed five when I, of course, meant four.

Wish you could play the old rendering engine with musics.

Attached: sorlag.jpg (878x804, 527K)

It's far from its golden days, but mapfags still working on it (other stuff is hard to find these days). Check the video, it has useful info and sources.