Why is Resident Evil so terrible?

>playing resident evil for the first time after hearing it's one of the greatest games of all time
>inventory is restricted to 6 slots
>a key takes up the same space as a gun
>you can't drop items, which means you literally get punished for picking up items

Why is this allowed?

>you damn casual,you have resource management! go back to your cinematic triple-A games!
No, all I'm demanding is a sensible inventory system, like one where items take up different amount of space in your inventory depending on their weight. Like survival horror games made BEFORE Resident Evil had, such as Alone in the Dark from 1992.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Js7_wsrLmdQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pVyOCssIXgQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Most of the later games had large items take up two slots. Think of it this way: Guns and weapons are strapped to your back or holstered at your belt, there's only so many you can carry. Keys go in your pocket, but you can only fit a couple in there if you have a roach or two rolled up for emergencies. Think of it as half your inventory being pocketed, the other half carried externally.

And how do you know these keys just weren't big and heavy?

Or that the guns are incredibly small and light.

>omg why does a tactical survival horror add realism

Zoomer leave.

Attached: 1551234453410.jpg (500x333, 56K)

>And how do you know these keys just weren't big and heavy?
Because before you pick them up, you see the keys lying in the game world, and they are tiny.

the inventory system is not only fine it's a fun mechanic to plan around. you found an item and can't pick it up right now? make a mental note of it and remember it for your next excursion from the item box.

you shouldn't be accidentally picking up items after maybe two mistakes, and if you do then that's what it is, a mistake.

Clearly they are one of those things that grow when you put them in water and Chris and Jill were just really sweaty. Sweat + key = big key.

DESU I almost never play as Chris in RE1 for this reason. Dont have an issue with Jill in 1 or any of the other games at all (except 0 making the hookshot two fucking slots and making you lug it all the way to end game). But fuck RE1 Chris

>Zoomer leave.
You do realize the OP cited Alone in the Dark? Resident Evil itself is basically the dumbed down, zoomer version of Alone in the Dark.

Attached: 1551017810907.png (558x614, 29K)

go play RE4 you faggot. its more your speed

Attached: becca_face_serious4.jpg (406x399, 41K)

you do realize that the just googled it to bolster his "argument", right? I use quotations because being bad at a game isn't an argument.

>being unable to put a key in your pocket
>realism

Attached: 1523451916032.jpg (454x284, 36K)

Inventory management is a staple of Resident Evil. While it's not exactly realistic all the time. The fact that your inventory is small adds a layer of anxiety to the horror experience unless you've beaten the game multiple times.

>MAC11 with a silencer takes up more inventory space than a Remington M1100

It's all the paperwork involved to carry it that make it that way.

It's to force you to plan ahead between trips to the item box. You have to decide if you really need to carry that extra key or ammo. If you're going through a familiar path, do you really need to carry herbs? You fucked up and killed two zombies in a room you frequently go through without blowing off their heads, are you going to carry some kerosene to clean them up? It adds to the survival aspect of the game.

>>omg why does a tactical survival horror add realism

You are aware that Resident Evil has item boxes endowed with the magical property of teleporting their contents to other item boxes?

Attached: 1545495000863.jpg (766x940, 156K)

>u iz retaord

No, not really. He is a zoomer.

>pocket doesn't count as a space in your inventory
Use your imagination, you dumb zoomer fuck.

game is designed around that you idiot. so you are saying you would like to have some fuking 60-100 bullett stacks taking up one slot and carrying keyes for free? get fuckd casuall peasant.

Attached: 1503964267069.png (438x503, 122K)

>add realism
Did I say total realism? Fucking dickheads jumping ahead to conclusions. This must be the power of the (((global community))) aka the shiternet.

realism isn't fun faggot

>Did I say total realism?
So, you're implying it's partial realism? What part of RE"s inventory system is realistic?

Attached: Resident Evil 2 Claire.webm (1272x716, 924K)

>another thread about a crying baby whomst wants his soft, gay fee fees validated

Attached: 213vdpnivf411.png (2700x1200, 285K)

It's just how the game is designed. I don't think it adds more realism because like OP said, keys and guns are not the same size. That said, realism is not the be all and end all in video games, or at least certainly should not be. I really like the inventory management in RE and in general. It's a staple of survival horror for a reason, it adds an extra layer for you to think about and plan.

>why doesn’t this game completely follow the rules of reality?

I really hate faggots like you, it’s like asking why you can’t blow up doors and need to find keys.

>you literally get punished for picking up items
you are such a fucking idiot.

NO WHY ARE THE CLASSIC GAMES NOT POWER FANTASIES THAT PLAY THEMSELVES LIKE RE4? NO NO NO NO

Of course you get punished for picking up items. It's part of the gameplay that you have to decide what is and isn't worth taking with you.

You're probably carrying two guns with ammo for both and ink ribbons. You rarely need to have more than one gun+ammo or two guns and leave the ammo in the storage box. All you have to do is put a little bit of thought into what you're doing and it's not an issue.

And yeah, it's unrealistic that a key takes up as much space as a gun, but it's designed that way so that you have to make the choice. Lots of things in RE are unrealistic for the sake of the gameplay, you gotta accept that.

Attached: lickerbutthole.png (1795x996, 2.56M)

Yeah, I hate inventory too in old RE games. It's not fun to run back and forth from item box to your objective.

Everyone knows what Alone in the Dark is, that doesn’t stop it from being inferior to the RE games. Being first doesn’t make you the best.

damn, user, you're getting good at this.

I am playing it for the first time too and I am pushing through about 12 saves in. I can tell it's a game that you will have to replay since you will game over the first times..
Not enough gasoline, new zombies, you get burned with your lighter, door knobs stop working, just leave the door open cunt.
Just accept you WiLl 100% game over a few times and restart.

Attached: 123123344234.jpg (225x224, 8K)

>suck at the game
>blame the game
Every time.

I wanna get into the RE series, should i start with REmake or RE zero? Should i skip Nemesis until Capcom makes R3make or is it essential for understanding the overall plot? Are there any essential spin-offs in the series? Is The Evil Within series good?

Think the whole as puzzle/logic game.

> should i start with REmake or RE zero?
Remake, RE:Zero is not as good, but more than that it has a lot of things in it that are only cool if you've played the other games. Don't play Zero until you've played at least Remake and RE2. (If you're gonna play RE2make instead of RE2 then it doesn't matter as much.)

> Should i skip Nemesis until Capcom makes R3make or is it essential for understanding the overall plot?
Depends entirely on what RE3make is like, so can't say yet.

>Are there any essential spin-offs in the series?
By and large, any spinoff in the RE universe is best avoided.

I would recommend playing the games in this order:

RE2 > REmake > RE3 > RE0 > RE2make

>It's not fun to run back and forth from item box to your objective
then only pick up what you need and if you're unsure then leave some free spaces.
you remind me of a coworker that would complain about having to run out to his car to get little tools that we used pretty often, and when asked why he doesn't just keep it in his pocket he would say "he doesn't like it taking up space"

Weren't the small keys stackable? Like bullets and ink ribbons were?

How are RE2make and RE2 different?

Start with 1996 RE1

Attached: 1549423458282.jpg (1015x676, 55K)

Some backstory that didn't really matter was left out (Irons being a rapist, Ada doesn't mention John though he's referenced in REmake). Otherwise nothing that really matters was changed. The 'canon' ClaireA/LeonB story from the original still had inconsistencies that didn't match up with what later games and Wesker Reports said.

There is literally not point in playing the original over REmake unless you enjoy really bad voice acting and graphics that aged like milk.

They play completely differently (over the shoulder vs fixed camera), RE2make has all new puzzles, new and different enemies, a different story, etc etc. If you can play older games, it's definitely worth playing the original first.

>ClaireA/LeonB story from the original still had inconsistencies that didn't match up with what later games and Wesker Reports said

That's because Capcom went completely off the rails with the later games and retconned things so that they could make their super action games.

Wrong both games are different enough to warrant a playthrough of each, REmake also has bad voice acting so I don't know what your point is

>bad voice acting and graphics that aged like milk.
If I may interject, it aged like fine wine
youtube.com/watch?v=Js7_wsrLmdQ

REmake has bad voice acting.. but RE1 has HORRENDOUS voice acting.

Bad voice acting shouldn't discourage people from playing an entire game, it's not a film

It's better to just play REmake then play it again with a different character than waste time with the original.

>drop items

People like you are the reason 0 exists please shut the fuck up.

I dont know what you are talking about
youtube.com/watch?v=pVyOCssIXgQ

only the old keys in REmake1. can't remember if they were in the original though.

>People like you are the reason 0 exists please shut the fuck up.

>a basic game feature that literally exists in every game
>bad

Why?

>literally exists in every game
doesn't exist in the game RE1.

Because REmake is better in every single way, and the original has aged so poorly that it feels like you're playing roblox.

remake, but play 1 too (same for 2)
don't skip it, but no.
outbreak.
yes

I pick up only what I need leaving almost everything lying on the ground, I carry only one weapon and I don't carry around tapes. Still there was a couple of times I had to run back to an item box because I picked up quest items/ammo and realized I actually need another item to use right now to solve some puzzle. It's just a shitty design, it brings nothing to the game. It's not fun, it's not challenging, it requires no thinking or whatever.
You can pick up a blue gemstone almost at the beginning of the game and you might carry it around thinking you'd use it soon enough, but you actually need it a couple of hours later. You can pick up a shield in the beginning of the game but you actually use it a lot later. So when you encounter places when you need to use these items, you have to run all the way back to an item box and then run back to the place you need to use them. Is it really what makes it a SURVIVAL HORROR? Having to manage your tiny inventory and run back and forth? You just like it because it's makes the game more time consuming and inconvenient for the sake of inconvenience. RE2 Remake and RE7 give you a lot more space in your inventory and they're still scary and make you panic. Silent Hill doesn't have any limitation at all, and it's fucking 4000 times scarier than any of the old RE games. Fuck off with your dumb shit.

Yeah but why, actually explain instead of making empty blanket statements

Why do all of Chris and Rebecca's interactions sound so lewd?

How can anyone get scared when the game sounds like an Adult Swim original low budget comedy.

She is his Ada.

>just leave the door open cunt.
you want bioweapons? because that is how you get bioweapons.

and 0 is still better than most mainline games

Hot

Attached: FaceApp_1551278995431.jpg (406x399, 97K)

I read that the game was originally going to have Japanese audio, but it was so terrible they scrapped it in favor of English one.

>Exists in every game
Really? Normally in every game, if you "drop" an item its gone forever and you pretty much erase it from existence, do tell about other games that let you recover dropped objects that are not tps/fps

>REmake 2
>Can't access most of the Evidence Lockers since the keypad is missing 2 key caps
>Can't just push the membrane in manually with your small finger, the tip of your knife, a low caliber bullet, a pen or pencil you could probably find in a police station...
>The replacement keys take up the same inventory space as a sawn off M79 or M870 in a cruiser configuration

Also, if the helicopter had 6 Tyrants to drop on Raccoon City, how were there five for the special forces team to kill in the railgun room of Nemesis if two Tyrants die in RE2? Assuming the one chasing Claire into the sewers under the orphanage that Birkin nearly bisected is concurrently canon to the one that Leon rockets to death in his story.

>Really? Normally in every game, if you "drop" an item its gone forever and you pretty much erase it from existence, do tell about other games that let you recover dropped objects that are not tps/fps

>do tell about other games that let you recover dropped objects that are not tps/fps

Other survival horror games like Alone in the Dark. Pretty much any western action game or western rpg ever made.

Items disappearing is only really a thing in Japanese games. I have no idea why.

Attached: 1546372689490.jpg (1002x857, 54K)

Best I hear about this is:
>hurr, it's MUH REALISM, you can't run around with 500 kg on your back!
Fuck your shit, a small key taking up the same space as a shotgun or 140+ rounds of handgun ammo isn't realistic at all.

Apart from that, play REmake, not original RE 1 and use Jill. She has 8 inventory spaces and it's really more than feasibly enough. You also don't need to take ammo and herbs with you all the times, because that game has very few enemies. If you can't get from one safe room to the next with the 15 rounds you have loaded into the gun you're doing something wrong.
And don't play Chris' story at all, unless you really start to dig the gameplay. The extra bit of story Chris gets simply isn't worth a second run. Just look the Rebecca scenes up on jewtube.

>Still there was a couple of times I had to run back to an item box because I picked up quest items/ammo and realized I actually need another item to use right now to solve some puzzle. It's just a shitty design
if it's only a couple of times then it's not really that much of a hindrance.
>it brings nothing to the game
wrong. cleared areas don't always stay cleared, paths get blocked off forcing players to travel through even more rooms that might change in terms of safety, and most importantly it forces the player to stay within a certain range of items that they can use, so even if you horde a ton of supplies you can't just take them all with you to one encounter. that's kinda the whole design of survival horror.
>You can pick up a blue gemstone almost at the beginning of the game and you might carry it around thinking you'd use it soon enough
so you make a mistake and you learn. unless you have short term memory loss you lose 10 min and move on.
>Is it really what makes it a SURVIVAL HORROR?
then stop hording. when you explore the game ends up telling you what to look for most of the time, in an all but direct way.

Bad engine design. A lot of Japanese games still use frame rate for a lot of calculations!

Then don't fill up your inventory all the time and take the essentials. your pistol, ammo for it and a healing item, only take your full arsenal if you think a boss or something big is coming up.
Is there a way to disable the game leaving reminders on the map for the re2 remake? I feel like the maps aren't big enough anyway to really need them.

This. Next their will be fags complaining about the item box. Play RE0 and see how well that shit works.

There's enough of a difference to justify playing both.

I don't think that you should assume there are two Mr. X's and once gets killed by Birkin and one by Leon. They're one and the same, and the canon is simply a fucked up alternative universe bullshit thing.
Because no matter what, the B character also has to defeat G1, and everything down there magically reverted back to pre A-Character state. Same for G2 and G3.

>IT'S REALLLLLY POWERFUL, ESPECIALLY AGAINST LIVING THINGS!
What the fuck did Barry mean by this?

Living things are made of fleshy bits, nonliving things like tanks are made of armory bits that it wouldn't be effective against.

So what exactly was with the office under the statue in the police station? Who's was that?

if someone's dead then it doesn't matter much if you beat it with a stick or shoot it with a gun. it's already dead. if it's still alive though

Hunters and bosses are weak to it, since those are living things, zombies are not living things so those shots would be wasted on them.

If this type of shit bothers you then you shouldn't be playing a RE game to begin with.

Who's to say they are not heavy af in the REverse?

>Game is so shit
>Cus inventory system

Is that it? Do retards really have a game spoiled for them by a single mechanic? I mean I was fuming well fight Zagi on hard in ToV but im having a blast now. I think the single fights in ToV on hard are all gimmicky shit since they go from normal mode set piece tier shit to kite groups and don't get even remotely touched shit fests but that doesn't make the game bad at all.

>>you can't drop items, which means you literally get punished for picking up items
Use the storage box you stupid faggot.

Attached: 2761425522e5eb45517abdf6d0fb7ee792b44f55_hq.jpg (1024x576, 42K)

>don't play the actual game because it's too hard and watch it on fucking jewtube
I unironically hope you kill yourself.
But they aren't fighting tanks in the mansion, they're fighting literal zombies.

Fancy panic room.

Except I did play both routes, and it isn't hard at all.
But the 5 minutes of Rebecca aren't worth another 3-4 hours of doing the exact same thing. You fucking moron.

sounds like you need to create your own game play and balance it.

The helicopter that dropped the tyrants in the original isn't seen, so the number of tyrants isn't limited by that anymore. I would say there were two Tyrants in the RPD just not at the same time. It's a small retcon and not really something to be blow out over.

RE zombies aren't dead though.

>I-I totally didn't have any trouble guys!
ZOOM ZOOM AWAY

Might as well be, im not using acid shots on them

Irons' obviously. All the secret shit in the station was stuff he set up. No one else except maybe Wesker knew about them.

Okay, guys. Doing a Hardcore Minimalist run, this shut is nerve-wracking, the game is tense as hell and even scary again. Should I pick the Matilda stock or leave it to save one slot for future use? I can't get rid of weapon parts so once I get that it's in my inventory for good.

Attached: De4Qyk_U0AAEP_p.jpg (506x709, 45K)

Resident Evil is one of those franchises some people think is good, but is actually trash. I'll never understand their delusion.

>WOW WHY DOES THIS VIDEO GAME USE COMMON VIDEO GAME TROPES FOR THE PURPOSE OF GAMEPLAY???

Attached: 1401772107316.gif (320x240, 702K)

I rarely use it myself. I prefer to use the shotty on things like dogs/G eyeball tumors.

The Attache Case system is top tier, much better than your bullshit "lol drop items on the ground and then carry them up to the end game manually" Rebeccafag.

I personally find it pretty handy for staggering a zombie in a pitch, though the shotgun can get rid of them just as well.

I haven't really routed this other than my knowledge through S+ ranking the game a bunch, so the gunpowder is going to be annoying. I don't remember where most of the High-grade gunpowder is.

this.
demake2 not having a BR mode with cosmetic rewards really shows how dated the series is and how out of touch crapcom is with gamers.

>how to spot a zoomer: the post

Funny thing is that REmake 2 has a crossover with a BR game.

Best weapons for G3? I found a shotty/flamethrower/knife combination worked pretty well? I've also used a magnum/knife combo for G2 but I'm not sure that's the best. I have more trouble reading his reactions.

>452590809
>demake2
>gamers
Trying to hard, no (You) for you.

>actually defending the grappling hook
Wew lad.

>MUH REALISM OVER GOOD MECHANICS
Fucking zoomers

>if the helicopter had 6 Tyrants to drop on Raccoon City
There is no cutscene of the Tyrant dropping, so we don't know if this fact is canon in the new universe.

>two Tyrants
Maybe, maybe not. There's one that got killed by Birkin, there's one that killed Ben and got smashed by the SWAT truck, there's one that got sent out by Mommy Birkin to take out Ada, and there's one that shows up in the East Wing and evolves into Super Tyrant.
Obviously, it's possible that there's some overlap - BenKiller, AdaHunter and SuperTyrant could all be the same tyrant but considering context and timing, it's more likely they are three separate Tyrants.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, Cartman.

>in the new universe.
The REmake's writing being so sloppy doesn't mean we're in a new timeline.

RE0 is bad.
Fight me.

It is always the same circlejerking fags too. Every RE2 thread has the same people. Nobody with taste is going to be convinced by this shit.

>>WOW WHY DOES THIS VIDEO GAME USE COMMON VIDEO GAME TROPES FOR THE PURPOSE OF GAMEPLAY???

>being unable to drop an item
>common video game trope
The fuck kind of games do you play?

Attached: 1546447579000.png (1078x541, 975K)

At what point would you ever have more than one of those?
I love RE but keys taking up inventory space AT ALL is the stupidest shit

>I love RE but keys taking up inventory space AT ALL is the stupidest shit
Why? It's an item, gaining one item's utility is paid in a single slot's worth of space. It's a fair trade.

learn the map structure and memorise the lockbox locations, keep the paths to lockboxes enemy free
IE git gud faggot

Attached: 2Q==.jpg (300x142, 12K)

Hah pathetic beta onions boy fagsual op you do realize this is Yea Forums the most professional hardcore gamers out there we don’t understand this fun word you speak of see we live on another plane of exsistence that casuals will never achieve this plane is called Mom’s basement and all this fun innovative games they mean nothing to us cause we are the most hardcore gamers out there we are so hardcore that we don’t even have jobs
We are Yea Forums
We are retards

zoomer fuck

I'm about to play Code Veronica
What should I expect?

>Why is Resident Evil so terrible?
SphereHunter.

>item that can be of use can be stored
sorry not all videogames are for whiny scrubs like you.
Go back to minecraft.

Dont say that name ever again