The Flaws of Morrowind

I already know what the responses to this will be. I'l surely get a "You're just a filthy casual who can't handle a real RPG." or maybe "Stupid Skyrim fanboys." perhaps even the good old "Must be a troll." but this game is incredibly overrated.

Let me tell you about a little thing called nostalgia, the dictionary definition is "pleasure and sadness that is caused by remembering something from the past and wishing that you could experience it again" this is why so many people like this game. I am pretty sure that most of the playerbase got this when they were young, and it reminds them of a happier time. They are the ones who go around blindly yelling how good it is. I will try to show you my counters

The combat in this game is god awful and if you don't see any flaws in it then you need to realize how much of a fanboy you are. The random chance makes no sense and takes all strategy out of combat. I have never held a sledge hammer in my life, but I guarentee you I could hit a guy with it. It is not "realistic" to miss people as much as your character does, I am willing to bet your character would lose in a fist fight with you. It is more realistic for your damage to go up, since you would get better at using your weapon and therefor better at hitting hard. The random chance doesn't allow strategy since there is literally nothing you can do to make it better without leveling up many times. Look at a game like XCOM, it's combat is done with a random chance, but there are factors to it. Your chance of hitting somebody goes up the closer you are to them. Keep in mind that in Morrowinfd you still have to hit the people you are fighting, you have to make contact with your weapon and once you have done so, the game decides if you made contact. There is no method to it, you can't try to avoid there attacks then hit them when the moment is right, just click and load your last save until the world decides that win your fight.

1/2

Attached: morrowind.jpg (220x293, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/app/22320/discussions/0/540739319669322721/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

2/2

Characters are non-existant. Give the personality of any NPC who is not part of a quest-line, you can't can you. The lack of voice acting could be forgiven, but there is no personality, they are all just lore vending machines with copy-pasted dialogue. Skyrim may not have any realy memorable characters either, but at least they have personalities!

The journal is god awful. I will agree that it is annoying that the only way to know where to go in Skyrim is by the quest markers, since the journal isn't useful. The thing is, Morrowind's journal is hardly any better. The lack of organization and really bad directions, it is terrible. What is worse, following a marker that tells you where to go or constantly opening the journal trying to decipher directions and searching the same area for an hour trying to find the path. Some missions have completely wrong directions, it's a nightmare.

I don't blame people for liking it, even the aspects I have listed. People who do are only huge Morrowind fans. Don't use these in arguements against Skyrim. This game has the fan base it does because of fond memories, not because it still holds up. Feel free to like it and refuse to see the flaws in it, but please don't go posting that you are right in the most smug way possible. (I get that it is kind of ironic, but I am countering some of the main points used to say Morrowind>Skyrim, I have seen all of these used to call Skyrim casual like it is the worst thing a game can be.) I'm sure some people will play Morrowind for the first time now and like it, but those people make up a fraction of it's player base.

Attached: morrowind2.jpg (1280x720, 160K)

didn't read KEK.

Can we talk abotu the goat rpg now?

Attached: goatrpg.jpg (1440x1080, 1.04M)

Im not huge into morrowind but i will give in to this bait.

>combat sucks
no it doesnt, once you get a few levels and actually use the proper gear, its piss easy.

>NPCs suck
The only thing that sucks about them is how static they are, meaning that they will always be in a place 24/7 other than that there's no real issue, not to mention how they have the most dialog out of all the TES games to date.

>journal sucks
Be glad that bloodmoon is a thing, but "really bad directions"? You can do better than that.

So your complains are somewhat given but arent really a deal breaker, if all this isnt bait i suggest you to just try to at least invest in the game instead of going in with the "this is gonna suck ass" attitude because of course you gonna have a bad time like this, and if you dont like it? Its cool, like you said nobody HAS to like everything or what the majority of people do. As to why people think Morrowind is superior to Skyrim, well, its because despite its objectively few flaws, Morrowind remains a superior RPG entry than Skyrim, you can talk shit about a game that was made back in 2002 sure, but a game made in 2011 should have NOT been like that.

Not every quest has to be the most intricate shit there is because if it was, you'd find it cheesy or bad in general, but if intricate shit gives you a hardon, go ahead and do the Eltonbrand quest, without hints.

Attached: 1456728572674.png (1519x597, 64K)

>XCOM combat is good because different factors affect your chance to hit
>Morrowind combat is bad because different factors affect your chance to hit

Attached: 1550588933490.png (396x458, 228K)

it is a very flawed game.
I still enjoy it for the freedom, setting and exploration.
But really is a better game

There is zero point critiquing a 20 year old game

I played this game far after Skyrim released and I wholeheartedly think its a better game in general. The combat is not bad, you faggots just don't understand nor appreciate it, face this fact and move on, otherwise play an actual table top game in your lifetime.
The characters are existent, otherwise you wouldn't see people taking notice of fargoth, Dagoth ur, vivec etc. NOT EVERY CHARACTER NEEDS TO BE A CENTRE PIECE!!!
Does every guard in Oblivion/Skyrim have different personalities? NO! Does anyone give a shit? NO!

bumpulon

>nostalgia
I only played it very little as a kid, I played it more as an adult. There are other games I played and loved as a kid, I don't like so much today, morrowind is not one of them.
>'l surely get a "You're just a filthy casual who can't handle a real RPG." The combat in this game is god awful and if you don't see any flaws in it then you need to realize how much of a fanboy you are. The random chance makes no sense and takes all strategy out of combat.
Create a character with the skills you want to use in mind. And if you do have a skill you want too low, you can train it at a trainer and get it up that way. The combat is the way it is because early RPGs were based on DnD style games with similar mechanics, it isn't a terrible mechanic decision if you understand how to build a character, the combat isn't based on "realism". Also if you try to hit someone with a sledgehammer in real life, there is a good chance he will avoid it, especially if they're trained.
>Characters are non-existant.
There are many interesting characters in the game, and your disposition they have towards you changes based on faction and renoun(i think), it's not like that in the newer Elder Scrolls games.
>The journal is god awful.
The journal isn't perfect, but it certainly isn't awful, it's an immersive way to keep track of quests and get to quests.
>I'm sure some people will play Morrowind for the first time now and like it, but those people make up a fraction of it's player base.
It's a game that requires more focus then most modern games to enjoy. Skyrim is a lot easier to get into, so yes there are going to be more people that would prefer Skyrim's instant gratification, to the more slow burn of Morrowind. I like both Skyrim and Morrowind, and have probably spent more time in Skyrim then Morrowind. Morrowind is a lot more RPG heavy and I would rate it higher then Skyrim of my all time favorite games.

Baldur's Gate 2 is regarded as one of the best RPGs ever made and it has the same shit

im upset every guard doesn't have personality in oblivion and skyrim, feels unrealistic that they're all clones.

>unrealistic
>fantasy game

I actually played it for the first time last year and loved it but I can completely understand why others wouldn't. The combat is pretty much based on dice rolls like classic tabletop rpgs. I've always been a fan of tabletop so it didn't bother me too much

There is personality to be found in npcs but you are right about the lack of voice acting. Most npcs are information blocks or vending blocks to sell too.

The journal is exactly what it is. A journal. It may be archaic but once you learn to navigate it, it isn't too bad.

Overall even with the problems you listed I loved exploring the world and playing through morrowind more than I enjoyed skyrim. The feeling of starting out as just some random pleb who can't even hit a mudcrab and becoming some kind of bizarro jesus was actually pretty fun and interesting. Also it really got me into elder scrolls lore.

didn't read, you're just a filthy casual who can't handle a real RPG

TL/DR version:
>combat is bad
>npcs are all the same
>journal is bad

All objectively true, though I don't really see why you're bitching about it.
If you were expecting a "flawless Yea Forums masterpiece" to actually be flawless, I'm not really sure what to tell you.

Attached: altmer3.png (943x902, 998K)

>morrowind isnt perfect

Wow, what a hot take!! It's still the best open world RPG we have though.

Sure we can.

Attached: Snap199_1.jpg (800x600, 107K)

>once you get a few levels and actually use the proper gear, combat is piss easy.
That doesn't make it GOOD.
It's barely adequate. Better than the mouse gesture shitshow of Daggerfall, but that isn't much. Oblivion and Skyrim failed in other ways, but fighting enemies was definitely more fun in those.
>NPCs
Most of them have the exact same dialogue responses. Play without the LGNPC mods sometimes, and see how bad it was.
>if all this isnt bait
Of course it's bait. OP wanted to talk about Morrowind, and "hey guise lets talk about morrowind" doesn't generate nearly enough replies to stay on the board.

>I'm not really sure what to tell you.
Allow me: "Never trust / listen to Yea Forums."

You know what else? It's ugly, even for a game from 2002. The environments are okay, despite the short draw distance, but the character models are terrible.
I mean, look at this body. What the fuck is even happening with that torso? Why do the textures look like that?

Attached: screenshot000.png (426x617, 298K)

If you mean nuCOM, the combat isn't good since it can be gamed so easily. It's more of a board game, same as everything else Firaxis shits out these days. You're essentially playing Risk: Enemy Unknown.

Morrowind's combat works and I like it more than any other Elder Scrolls game, but I also don't play Elder Scrolls for the gameplay. I play it for wacky mods, both lewd and otherwise, but I find it dull. At least with Morrowind the magic and alchemy system made it fun.

I like its ugliness

I find holding the LMB and moving my character while fighting really helps out. Then again, this was on OpenMW. Point is, don't just fucking stand there and tap the button, you fucking s'wit.

Yeah whatever OP, I got this game in the worst year of my life and if it was so fucking bad how did I manage to get every person in my class to buy it back when it was 5 bucks 13 years ago?

"never listen to Yea Forums" is just a cope that consolefags tell themselves to feel good that the only games their IQ allows them to play are Ubishit and MOBAshit

I gotta give him the bad directions argument at least partially. There are a few moments in the game the directions are fucked, but the only one I can recall right now is the Mehrunes Dagon quest (which is the worst offender, imo).

no TES combat is good by your standarts, Morrowind has a slow and risky early game, oblivion's staggering blows is on every level and skyrim is a click-spam fest.

I dont use this dialog mod actually, yeah some lines are generic but you cant say they're bland like say the ones in Skyrim.

I havent done that quest specificly but other stuff i did were pretty straight forward, yeah its not easy to find things at first but the directions surely help.

Morrowind has the best Waifu though.

Attached: d9zke7l-653b88c5-dd8b-4607-9d54-b1ded01f41c3.jpg (1002x652, 92K)

I just played it a while ago for the first time and enjoyed it btw

morrowind>skyrim in many many ways, and I still enjoyed skyrim a lot because of mods.

>random chance
Maybe the combat is misleading to people who just picked the game up blind sure, but there's nothing wrong with missing your attacks when you're fighting someone who is more proficient than you in an RPG type game, or failing to cast a spell. Just level up like you're supposed to to get better.

That's just you being a roleplaylet. Unimportant NPCs respond in a manner that is befitting to them for the most part.

>I dont use this dialog mod actually
Why not? Do you use something else?
It's so much better than Vanilla. You can actually talk to random people in those Bitter Coast fishing villages, and learn what kind of people they are.

I actually had it in but i recently did a clean install so i guess i have to grab it again.

It's the world user. It's not like I have an alternative with a game that has as unique of a setting, interesting lore, aesthetic and story in an open world but ALSO has great combat and dialogue.

You just can't pick and choose your elements from games

I will ad though that I really like the magic and alchemy in this game. It makes mages feel like engineers or scientists and not just archers with more flashy animations.

Not him but personally I'd rather not care about each and every individuals life story, if that's what that mod is like. I enjoy imagining their daily lives and looking at their surroundings to figure info out myself.

I don't know how the mod is exactly though.

Sorry for the dumb question, but what game is this?

Have you heard about outward, it will come out next month. I actually don't know if it will be good and consider this a shill but at least check it out when it's out. I don't even know if it has a lot of dialogue it just looked neat.

>It is not "realistic" to miss people as much as your character does, I am willing to bet your character would lose in a fist fight with you. It is more realistic for your damage to go up, since you would get better at using your weapon and therefor better at hitting hard.

Neither is more realistic than the other. Both are abstractions of what is really happening. In Morrowind, your character's skill with a weapon, and the enemy's ability to dodge are abstracted into a dice roll. In oblivion, they are abstracted into a damage number. Both contradict their visual representation. It is entirely a personal problem if you can suspend your disbelief for one and not the other.

I would even go as far as to say that Morrowind's combat is significantly better because at least this specific issue gos away once your agility and weapon skill are fairly high. While in Oblivion and Skyrim, enemies remain sword sponges forever.

>I am willing to bet your character would lose in a fist fight with you

My character's hand to hand is 100 and has like 250 strength. I doubt it.

>Give the personality of any NPC who is not part of a quest-line, you can't can you

Creeper is a sarcastic, friendly jew. The hard part of this was thinking of an npc that's not part of a quest.

>Morrowind's journal is hardly any better. The lack of organization and really bad directions, it is terrible

This was fixed in GotY edition. The journal now let's you select a specific quest and filter by topics.

The bulk of the mod is individual NPC life stories, yeah. I don't care about most of them either, but I like that if I ever do want to ask where an NPC is from, they'll have an answer.
I also like having some more varied answers for "latest rumors" and other common topics.

No, I haven't. Might look into it. Why did you bring it up specifically?

It really wants you to play a short/long blade character,with light/heavy armor.

Unless you like Ordinators attacking you on sight.

There kinda is if you think it is put on a pedestal that it doesn't deserve being put on.
I hated it when it was released in 2002 because of the stationary wikipedia articles that they try to sell off as NPCs killing any and all immersion there might have been for this game.

The game isn't good. Back then it only had graphics going for it. Now it doesn't even have that because it aged terribly and it looks ass now.

God you are obsessed. Just use a trip next time, it's obvious who you are every time you post because you always say they same shit.

Anyway, Wikipedia barely even existed in 2002, you dumbfuck cockgobbling zoomer.

Attached: 1550944504323.jpg (552x528, 23K)

If you meant to respond to me, outward seems to have a pretty interesting setting and what i consider refreshing RPG features. I still don't know if it will be an empty bland open world cause the map looks too big. Apparenlty theres three big factions and it reminded me of the great houses sort of, with each having a focus like magic

> killing any and all immersion there might have been for this game.
You don't know how to roleplay that's all

>The game isn't good
>Back then it only had graphics going for it.
So wrong. People play despite that by the way because there's a lot more to it.

Risen 2

>You don't know how to roleplay that's all
Yes, if you blatantly ignore a game's fault and go to the extremes to rationalize it, "roleplay" around it, then literally any and every game ever is fun, no matter how terrrible they actually are. Not an argument.

>So wrong. People play despite that by the way because there's a lot more to it.
Not really.

> then literally any and every game ever is fun
Morrowind provides the tools to roleplay, that's the difference.

>Not really.
>what is everything else despite the graphics
Gee I don't know I guess there's no content in morrowind.

Why was this deleted? Are mods retarded?

Attached: morrowindfags will defend this.png (1148x305, 193K)

NPCs in Morrowind are basically the same wikipedia pages, you get a huge list of terms that you get mostly the same exact responses, it's an extremely lazy way to do NPC dialog. Also the game lacks voice acting, there's no excuse for this awful repeated-paragraph-dispenser robots in Morrowind.

If you want an example of a similar system but well done, Ultima VII has NPCs with unique responses that feel much more believable. It surely helps that Ultima VII has far better writing than any bethesda game.

>Not every quest has to be the most intricate shit there is
having more than one way of finishing should be standard though

>I have never held a sledge hammer in my life, but I guarentee you I could hit a guy with it.
Actually you probably won't. You have no idea of unwieldy sledge hammer are.

>Gee I don't know I guess there's no content in morrowind.
This, but unironically. Playing mailman between two legged wikipedia articles is not content.

So fantasy games don't need to have any effort put into making NPCs that are supposed to represent people? How convenient. "But it's fantasy!" is the ultimate brainlet post.

You lack a cerebrum, that's all. No biggie. It's not like NPCs convey information in a characterized manner or anything.

>light/heavy armor
The best light armor is glass, at 50 points. The second best is chitin, at 10 points.
(If you got Tribunal, you can get dark brotherhood edgelord armor worth 30 points just by sleeping, but that almost feels like cheating.)
The best heavy armor is daedric, at 80 points. Second best is ebony, at 70. Third best is dwemer, at 20.
Medium armor is different. The very best armor is worse (Indoril, 45 points), but at lower levels you can just walk into Meldor's shop in Balmora and buy a suit of bone mold with 15-18 points of armor on each piece.
That's better than any pre-glass (or Tribunal) light armor. That's probably better than any heavy armor you can easily get - steel is exactly 15 points for every piece.
Orcish armor is worth 30 points, better than any pre-ebony heavy armor. It's not sold in most shops, but it's hell of a lot more common than ebony. There are several orcs with full suits you can find and kill.
Medium armor is the absolute best you can wear until late game, unless you've memorized the armor piece locations and can gather a full suit of glass at level one. (A full suit of daedric wouldn't actually help you - you won't have the strength to even carry it until later.)

Attached: Bonemold_Armor_-_Morrowind.png (600x1000, 1.43M)

Searching -realism- in an RPG is a fool's errand.
Morrowind does have bad combat, but for completely different reasons. MUH RNG is the criticism of the superficial.

You are generally kinda right about the characters' personality, although I can think of few people with personality (the mage guild boss being an incompetent or that mage guild's quest giver being obsessed with dorf shit.

>really bad directions
This is a really exaggerated criticism that doesn't really correspond with reality.

>It's not like NPCs convey information in a characterized manner or anything.
In Morrowind they literally don't.

he's right though, in Morrowind there's nothing to NPCs besides shitting out some quest or the resolution for one. Here's an example of a typical Morrowind quest
>Hey there's a spy in one of the mage's guilds in the place
>go probe the members all over our guilds to expose him
>talk to evertyone about spy
>10+ guild members have the same canned "not me" reply to the question regarding the spy
>1 guy points out who he suspects, the other is the spy, the other is some guy who trust the spy
>you get some fake certificate from the spy and expose him
>boom quest done
>there's no talk of motivations, where the spy comes from etc
Morrowind and Bethesda games in general feel soulless. The NPCs never feel like people, it's all a mechanical thing. Here have tons of caves that look exactly the same. All their games seem to have been created by some fucking robot that programs X amount of caves, temples and shit that all look alike and are boring, just as the NPCs, the combat and pretty much everything.

dream REEEEEEEE

Attached: beast_morrowind_ashzombie.png (502x930, 221K)

Yes it is flawed game but the "Your first TES game is special" trope is true.
It doesn't matter how shitty a game it is compared to the latter games to these anons.
Just the way it is user.

>The combat in this game is god awful
There is nothing inherently wrong with diceroll combat. It is more of a player feedback problem where hitting and missing having the same animation has the potential for generating confusion and breaking immersion.
>The random chance makes no sense
It makes sense in an RPG where your character presumably starts off too weak and clumsy to hurt their opponents. After a few level ups, the combat actually becomes fairly reliable.
>takes all strategy out of combat
I would argue the opposite. You rely less on your own skills and more on that of your character and on equipment characteristics.
>I guarentee you I could hit a guy with it.
What is your guarantee worth? You underestimate the heft of a sledgehammer.
>The random chance doesn't allow strategy since there is literally nothing you can do to make it better without leveling up many times.
You can level up or pick your equipment more carefully. Or you can mind your battles. All of these require some strategic thinking.
Alri-
>Give the personality of any NPC who is not part of a quest-line, you can't can you.
So there are personalities in the game. I can't name unique NPCs unrelated to quests in most games. I don't think not knowing everything about every stranger you meet is a flaw. Most NPCs only exist to occupy space and Morrowind's fulfill this task adequately.
>The journal is god awful.
True.

>there's no talk of motivations, where the spy comes from etc
House Telvanni.

People respond a different way depending on what they're supposed to know or be. It's not every single NPC that speaks differently of course, but that isn't completely necessary. You can absolutely roleplay from it and remain immersed, unless you're someone who NEEDS to be handheld into immersion and can't use their own imagination. And again, morrowind provides the tools, so yes it's a valid argument. Having everyone be a special character isn't the only way to deal with immersion problems.

Nah you're soulless if you can't use the tools provided by these games to roleplay. Also that example isn't correspondent to all the quests in the game at all. There's plenty of detail, in my opinion just enough.

The way the combat is done in Morrowind is retarded, you have slow hulking enemies, you're wielding a sword, and you're constantly missing. Missing what, the brute that walks slower than the player character, while you use a light weapon? A smarter way to do it would be to have a glancing bow aspect to it, as if you can't use it properly or whatever, and you inflict less damage than true blows. Missing makes more sense in the context of something like shooting in Shadowrun Returns and its expansions, shooting percentages with longer range and so on. But to stand face to face to a big dinosaur-whatever is its name, and miss miss miss, that makes no sense. Deus Ex has a much better implemented mix of proficiency and real time combat, with the reduced accuracy for weapons, and how you can dish much bigger damage with melee if you master that skill. With the sledgehammer or heavy weapons in Morrowind, they could have implemented some interrupt system, where a swing of those weapons, especially at low skill levels, takes a while and the enemy can prevent you from attacking by hitting your first mid-swing. As it is, the whole thing just seems like a shitty system that makes no sense in the context of fights.

I'm replaying Morrowind now for the first time in like ten years. While you're not exactly wrong about any of the points you make, I still love the game and am falling in love with it all over again.

There's just something about it. It's the exploration of this alien land, the rich lore, the perfectly paced main quest, the amazing art direction, the level of immersion. I think people overblow it's main issues such as combat. As long as you aren't a retard with your build and your stamina management, you'll get through fine. But man if you don't like it you don't like it. At least you gave it a fair shake.

I played Morrowind for the first time last year and loved it, so it's not nostalgia. Of course the game is deeply flawed but I love it anyway.
>I have never held a sledge hammer in my life, but I guarentee you I could hit a guy with it.
Try actually holding a sledgehammer sometime, they're really fucking heavy, mang.

NPCs have shared responses like it they linked to the same wikipedia article on the central server.
If you are willing to rationalize it and do the mental gymnastics to roleplay around it, more power to you, it doesn't stop being immersion breaking and complete shit.

To roleplay there needs to be some immersion, but at every turn bethesda games remind me that it's a shitty game, with its robotic paragraph-repeaters NPCs, or its samey environments, or its copypasta spells of big ball bigger ball, biggest ball with aoe, recolor for different elements, there's zero creativity in many parts of those games.

It was their first 3D game, duh. The artists/3D modelers were probably the same people who worked on Daggerfall.

>"If you have to explain why a joke is funny it isn't"

You are defending the mechanic when the implementation of it is the issue.
Morrowinds combat was just bad.
No amount of explaining can fix that.

what are your predictions for the next TES game?

>m-muh soul
Not so much the best thing Morrowdrones can come up with, as the only thing.

While it's true that it doesn't make much sense from an aesthetic perspective, every RPG that has missing is about the same. It's far from being retarded, it's pretty reasonable. Mostly it's not as big of an issue as people make it to be, it's just like any other rule, unless you expect to fight well against, or cheese, a really strong enemy from the start.

Not every NPC has a shared response. There's no need for those that do share a response to say the same thing in different words if the end result is the same response. That's an absolute petty reason to lose immersion, as immersion isn't even only born from dialogue as much as they're a part of it.

There is so much immersion in these games, but in the end they're still games. Those things are expected, and the games are not without glaring flaws, but if you can't into suspension of disbelief AT ALL then you're mentally crippled.

The guy mentioned soul first. In fact I didn't even say the game's best thing is the soul.

>Not every NPC has a shared response.
Oh right, only 95%. That changes everything.

Ironically the worst thing about Morrowind is something only boomers will remember.

The game was almost unplayably slow on 2002 hardware. It wasn't due to the graphic card, but because it was such a CPU whore that nothing released that year could smoothly crunch the big world at a reasonable draw distance.

Attached: 1528056796357.jpg (381x353, 39K)

Yes, I agree. I think at least half of the players complaining about the combat would not be as frustrated if the game had animations where the player was shown missing or the opponent was shown dodging or parrying. Still, I first played the game last year and accepting that the combat is more abstracted is not as hard as people make it out to be.
Some people are against the very concept of diceroll, but I agree that Morrowind's combat is flawed (not to the extent of being absolutely terrible though).

But thats the case for most TES quests tho.

I wish i had more trust within Bethesda, but after Skyrim and Fallout 4 i am almost certain nothing will change, it will probably have a few cool features only to be drowned in a sea of casualization and blandness much like Skyrim. IF they make a game that isnt infested with bugs, IF they sell it on steam, IF they add more to gameplay instead of remove more, IF the world is believable and your actions reflect upon it, IF its anything like pre-Skyrim, then maybe juuuust maybe there's a good game we're gonna look forward too.

Attached: 600px-OB-npc-Imperial_Legion_Guard.jpg (600x600, 109K)

RNG is fine in turn based.
There are far better ways to show progression in real time combat.

I didnt have any problems with pentium 4. the only thing I remember that the initial load time was enough to make a sandwich meanwhile.

Attached: 1506250533001.jpg (795x550, 183K)

Some people you talk to don't know about a subject at all even if you can ask them, or they have different opinions, depending on their background. So sometimes if you ask around you can be surprised. Generic camonna tong thugs will say different things from a khajiit, but still among themselves share responses. That's perfectly fine because:

You still have the environment, the background, the items, the clothes, the races, all that to give character to people, while still getting information in an efficient, but not entirely bland, manner.

I can't suspend my disbelief enough to handle things like "every cave looks the exact same", or "hey this NPC repeats the same answer to that question that everyone else does". Even ignoring the combat the world seems devoid of humanity with things like these.

Worked fine on northwood celeron too.

It was horrible on P3 + Riva TNT 2 Ultra. Then I upgraded to P4 + GeForce 4 MX 440 and it ran great but there was no shader water (the MX card didn't support pixel shaders). It wasn't until I got a GeForce 4800 Ti that I was finally able to appreciate Morrowind in all its glory.

Attached: boomers_fishing.png (1500x761, 322K)

Might have been alright on one of the super expensive 2.8 or 3 ghz models that came out later that year but the P4 range available at launch couldn't run the game very well. As I said, playable but not a great experience.

Efficient from a development perspective, that I will give you.
Won't help much the player though who expected to play a role playing game, and not some mess with information article dispensers scattered around the world in place of NPCs.

>Let me tell you about a little thing called nostalgia

you fucked up right at the beginning

>The combat in this game is god awful and if you don't see any flaws in it then you need to realize how much of a fanboy you are.

its a crpg, learn to build character. if you focus on combat in chargen youll have a decent fighter right off the boat. you are just too stupid to do so

>There is nothing inherently wrong with diceroll combat
Diceroll combat in action RPGs is a mistake, yes. When you can evade incoming attacks without actively dodging them because your Agility stat is high, or you cannot hit a mudcrab / scrib with your dagger because your arbitrary weapon skill stat is low even though your attacks phase right through them, that's flawed gameplay design.
Diceroll combat works only for turn-based games. Action movement implies the player's skill can override his character's weaknesses if he's skilled enough, but Morrowind gives far more importance to the character's strength. It doesn't matter if you carefully aimed and your arrow visually hits an opponent: whether it hits or not is decided by an arbitrary stat, which is retarded.

>What is your guarantee worth? You underestimate the heft of a sledgehammer.
Now you're just defending the indefensible. He could make the same argument for using a dagger or his own fists, and the result is the same: he hits nothing. This isn't how real life works.

whatever u faggots say, morrowind spell crafting system is fucking goat. especially when you unlock all sliders from 100 to 500

Attached: bottom.png (400x667, 596K)

but the spells themselves are boring, the destruction magic is all the fucking same no matter the element, it's always touch, small ball, medium ball, large ball with AoE, rinse and repeat for other elements. Sure you can combine stuff, but you're just combining the same boring shit.

Reminder that Oblivion is the GOAT.

One small detail that bugged me about Morrowind.
I am know everyone on the island had a name.
Why did I know them all?
Not just in town but go into a cave with bandits and I somehow knew that is Jim and Grumbol standing there.
A little thing to be sure but it bugged me.

you are boring shit. you can create damage str spells to make armored opponents unable to move as their gear becomes too heavy. you can disintegrate their gear in a flash if you wanted, too. you could combine long lasting stamina drain with summon skeleton to make enemy faint while skeleton beats on him. just shows how unimaginative you are

>judging old game through current tech standards lens
Fair enough but you have to consider what TES3 introduced to the industry. Interesting lore setting, open world, self navigation, wildly custom character attributes, fantastic music. I get that even I wouldn't want to replay the game without combat mods but this combination of design in a fully 3D space wasn't really fleshed out as this even in it's crude ways. Play it with mods and low expectations understanding why it was an important step for the industry (even if no studio has actually iterated something worth your time using this step).

Attached: 1551212650518.jpg (540x720, 82K)

roll

>The game was almost unplayably slow on 2002 hardware
All the big RPGs of the time were, Gothic was the same shit and looked worse too.

I actually judged it to be a shit game in 2002, which it is.

rolo

When thinking "I am sure" but deciding to write "I know" for brevity's sake goes wrong.

But Ultima VII is older than Morrowind and it did NPC dialogue for example much better than it, with the same topics system.

The only flaw is that eventually, could be 5 hours from now, could be 5 years, you will stop playing and never pick it up again. Like your mother setting you down for the last time as a child

Attached: 1410389551368.png (356x504, 138K)

Reminder to check out multiplayer

Attached: tes3mp_dagoth_ur.jpg (1920x1080, 606K)

I actually agree with that, for oblivion and skyrim especially, but sometimes caves are just caves, someone's tomb is just a traditional tomb, a mine is just a mine. Technically caves would look the same, although oblivion's are all literally copy pasted by one guy.

For NPCs, I don't think you absolutely need to be able to ask every NPC the same question, and receive a different answer. For some characters this is important, like for example a slave will say something different than a rich guy, and this will increase the worth of the world immensely. The way other games do it is just to not allow you to ask an NPC about something at all.

I am actually thankful that I'm able to ask about key words that someone uses and receive an informative answer, it feels like I'm actually exchanging words with the NPC to an extent. Doesn't fully make sense, but that's more a problem if you want to talk to everyone in town. It's definitely efficient for the player too.

Yeah that's weird, but personally I'd rather they have names than just be called bandit like in later games. They're all unique NPCs too though so it makes more sense than randomly generated npcs. I do like when you discover their names through the environment or something quest related.

Why haven't you joined the winning team yet?
>OpenMW
>Fully open source
>Built in multiplayer
>Soon to allow for a dehardcoded Morrowind
>Can be used on Android
>Eventually will support Oblivion and Skyrim

Attached: 746483.jpg (816x979, 93K)

Let's discuss some lesser mentioned flaws.
>container weight limits lower than character weight limits
Aside from not making sense, having to scatter my unique loot around is annoying.

>I actually prefer wikipedia article stations as opposed to actual NPCs
OK

Hell yeah I'm doing this shit. I just finished my Telvanni run.
TFW I get Telvanni again

My problem with Morrowind is mostly related to how static the world is. Both Daggerfall and Oblivion did a far better world of making the world feel alive, in their own way. Daggerfall had scale, Oblivion had dynamic (stupid) NPCs, and both had schedules that meant the day/night cycle actually meant something.

Morrowind itself doesn't have it but you can script schedules in Morrowind too.

I can understand criticism of Morrowind, but the ones you picked are just retarded and because the game isn't made for streamline lovers doesn't mean it's bad game design. That why you're called a stupid casual; you think like one.

nigger me and a bro played through a shit ton of the game multiplayer

friendly fire is such a bitch

All Bethesda games I play feel overly static. There's that scripted moment where you're ambushed by a thief, but that was just a scripted event that will happen once and never again. The world is always devoid of roaming parties and such. The groups traveling in STALKER SoC for example help to make the world feel alive.

This is true, but you can also decline his part in the sidequest and kill him at your leisure. In Oblivion or Skyrim he'd be marked as essential and the only way you could get rid of the quest is by completing it.

As to the name thing.
You don't need to know every extras name in a movie.
Not everyone in a game needs an in depth backstory. Some times you are just sword fodder.

>talk to someone
>they mention something
>you can ask them about that something and they respond properly
vs
>someone mentions something
>they have to give you a full explanation before you even ask whenever they mention anything new

Makes perfect sense and other RPGs would benefit from having more topics to talk about. Maybe that's why wikipedia articles are made that way too?

It's just my personal preference because I like to look into the background story of the things I defeat. How they lived, what they did, who they were, etc. It's just games have that opportunity to have way more detail than a movie can in the envinronment. It's definitely not necessary, but it's an opportunity nonetheless.

The only thing I hate about Bethesda games is how they make your character a braindead retard who knows absolutely NOTHING about world. You don't know anything about the land you're in, you don't know anything about other lands, you don't even know anything about your own race.

>What is a Khajiit - Says the Khajiit
>Grey quarter? Why are Dunmer all grey? - Says the Dunmer
Not to mention the stupid shit
>What about you? Do you hate the Dunmer too? - Says the Dunmer to the Dunmer
>Are you one of those Skyrim are for Nords type? Yes people like me should be kicked out

>When you can evade incoming attacks without actively dodging them because your Agility stat is high, or you cannot hit a mudcrab / scrib with your dagger because your arbitrary weapon skill stat is low even though your attacks phase right through them
When the fuck did "RPG" start meaning "first-person shooter but you have a sword"?
When you lose a fight because your character, as measured by his skills and attributes, can't fight worth shit, that is how the world should work. If you don't take any combat skills at character generation, then wild animals should pose a genuine threat.
I'm not trying to say Morrowind combat was GOOD, but criticizing it for being an RPG is just retarded.

Attached: red year.png (1280x731, 186K)

>only option is to ask about something every kid knows about
>Wtf? Where are you from? You don't know that trees have leaves? Damn you must have hit your head really hard! Anyway, so....

I absolutly love Skyrim, spent nearly 1000 hours on it.

I hate people that says that Skyrim is crap and everyone thinking different is just a casual fanboy. i like Bethesda policies and the direction they are taking with their games and I'm looking forward to Fallout 4 in anticipation.

Thus being said, you are the same of the one you criticize, but in reverse order. If someone prefears Morrowind over Skyrim is not an elitist old school. Tastes are tastes, and having absolute opinions is always a mistake. In games like this immersion is everything, if someone does not get immersed for some reasons they can't enjoy. That's what happened with me and Oblivion. But i don't think the ones that liked Oblivion or prefear it over Skyrim are crazy. All Bethesda products have super quality and technology.

Morrowind had superior writing, the mainquest is far more interesting and better written than Skyrim's. It has an incredibly fresh and weird world, something unique in a fantasy setting. And it is appelling and fun even 12 years after release. Combat system is cluncky, but is also very rewarding when you master it. Skyrim becomes too easy too soon.

I'm enjoying my current playthrough, so mine can't be nostalgia becouse I'm playing Morrowind (with all its pros and cons) today.

Even if there are people that will not enjoy anything after Morrowind becouse they sink in nostalgia, there are also other people who prefears it over tastes, and posts like yours only strengthen their ideas.

>Morrowind and Bethesda games in general feel soulless. The NPCs never feel like people, it's all a mechanical thing. Here have tons of caves that look exactly the same. All their games seem to have been created by some fucking robot that programs X amount of caves, temples and shit that all look alike and are boring, just as the NPCs, the combat and pretty much everything.

Bethesda do rely on procedural generation and AI a little too much, but you're supposed to be able to use this thing called your imagination, to skip over those things and fill in the blanks. If you can't do that, then maybe role playing games aren't what you should be playing.

Well he said action RPG, not just any RPG

>The combat in this game is god awful
yeah having it being real time was a mistake
>he random chance makes no sense and takes all strategy out of combat.
this is completely wrong though and you cite xcom because it has more "factors at play"
but really it's morrowind that has more complex calculations going on.
actually for characters you can't really interact with I'd say they are more memorable than anything in modern nurpgs, everyone remembers fargoth, the rogue that holds you up but is in love with some girl at the tavern, the naked nord that got tricked by a witch etc
you just have shit taste buddy

The journal is actually extremely good.

So this is where OP got it from. Cool.

Attached: 1549331311970.jpg (1024x1004, 291K)

>Goes to Solstheim
>Wait you mean you don't have Jarls here?
Oh now you know what a fucking Jarl is?

but I played an older RPG than that called Ultima 7 and had way more fun with it, because it never felt like I was exploring cave #2357 that looks like all the other ones, talking to robotic NPC #967

>i like Bethesda policies and the direction they are taking with their games and I'm looking forward to Fallout 4 in anticipation.
Neat pasta

>Nostalgia

I played this for the first time in 2016 after playing both Oblivion and Skyrim and I enjoyed it more than both.

I replayed MW last year, for the first time since before Oblivion came out. I had my fair share of complaints about it but they're not the ones I usually hear or the ones I remembered.

By far my biggest problem with the game was how shallow it felt outside the main questline. I see people praise the faction quests all the time (usually while shitting on Skyrim) and it really makes me wonder if they've actually played the game, because they're almost entirely forgettable sequences of repetitive fetch/kill quests where you spend 15 minutes running to some random cave for 5 minutes worth of fighting and then rinse and repeat.

There's also a shortage of interesting locations and dungeons in the game, and a weird situation where you spend 90% of your time running back and forth across the same 10 or 20% of the map while almost never visiting whole swathes of it at all. Caldera and the whole region around it is probably the most prominent example of these.

lol I remember this. Worst part is you don't know if it will be worth asking cause it opens up new dialogue sometimes so you have to be a jackass.

It's from I almost took it seriously

You have some good points. I am kind of feeding the trolls by posting this, but after seeing so many threads where they say how "Skyrim is crap" and "Morrowind is the best game of all time with no flaws and if you diagree you are a candy druch loving casual" I got fed up and decided to post this.

You are right that immersion can save a game, and it is rather subjective what is immersive, I tried to take a more objective look at this. I disagree about the writing though, the plot may be more interesting but the amount of emotionless copy-paste NPCs are terrible.

I really tried to like Morrowind, I have nine hours in that game but all of them were dreadful. I did play Skyrim first, but I don't really have nostalgia for it since my life hasn't changed much since I got it. I haven't seen anybody that didn't start with Morrowind like it the most.

Also, I should add that I still think it's a really good game and probably the best overall in the series, it's just not by far the best in every single way and has some pretty glaring deficiencies.

>I'm looking forward to Fallout 4
>Morrowind [...] is appelling and fun even 12 years after release.

Attached: good heavens would you look at the time.jpg (439x417, 126K)

Have any of you ever played Pillars of Eternity? Because they have a nifty way of making you not stupid and still let new players understand shit.

They have a "Lore" stat in which the higher it is the more well "Lore" and information you know. Now we all know some faggot will overestimate himself max it out and whine he doesn't have shit spoon fed right? Wrong! Pillars 2 amended this by adding a highlight option so say in Skyrim someone says
>The Jarl is up in the castle.
Jarl is bolded green. If you put your cursor to it, it will show a description of what it is.

God damn, this was the truth.
I was use to playing games at 1024x768, but Morrowind fucking slogged at 640x480 on my P3. This game only ever worked well once 2.0Ghz+ P4s eventually hit the market. Once you had once of those a Geforce 2 could run the game, it was just so fucking CPU bound.

user please stop copypasting Steam forum posts from 2014

Don't listen to this shill this german autist posts the same image every time of his game in every morrowind thread.

>What about you? Do you hate the Dunmer too? - Says the Dunmer to the Dunmer

Replace dunmer with white people and that accurately depicts liberals. Replace it with brown people and it accurately depicts /pol/.

>Hero fest 4%
>Legendary Hero: Neloth the Redoran Mage of House Hlaalu
>Born in Telvannis which is located east of Cyrodiil
>"Feel the wrath of an Orismer wizard!"

Attached: 13314.png (100x100, 10K)

If the CPU was the bottleneck then the resolution shouldn't have mattered too much. But yeah, even on those early 2.0 GHz+ P4s they still weren't fast enough to run the game very smoothly. You needed around a 3.0 GHz P4 to play the game at a really good speed.

My old 2.26 GHz P4 which I bought around the time Morrowind came out (I bought it for the game actually) was far from smooth. It wasn't the fastest P4 out at the time, you could get a 2.5 GHz model but I doubt it would have made much of a difference.

Though I do admit that I forgot you could get a 3.0 GHz model already that year but it was insanely expensive.

Best sound design of any game.

Attached: balmora.png (1280x960, 1.44M)

Yeah, the mages guild's mushroom collecting comes to mind as well, but as bland as it is it's fitting at least. Fitting but certainly a waste of time. I would have enjoyed that part much more if I played back when the game released, but I do have a bit of time to spend since I didn't play a shit ton of MMOs with fetch quests.

I definitely appreciate that. I played a bit of poe but my game crashed and I'm putting it off for now. RPGs like it are not 100% my thing anyway, the world and sometimes the pacing just doesn't do it for me soon enough. I get really antsy worrying that I'm just gonna waste days of my time for a bad story that doesn't go somewhere that interests me.

Attached: goat.png (950x880, 331K)

The game is massively overrated, that much is known. But fanboys will deny it, case in point:
>no it doesnt, once you get a few levels and actually use the proper gear, its piss easy.
The combat is garbage, it requires barely no thought into it besides understanding the basics behind the stamina system. There's no strategy, you can spam potions in your inventory so that also takes away from whatever resource management you could need in the middle of combat. Moreover, the game becoming "piss easy" is a bad thing, not a good thing. It's extremely easy to break Morrowind's combat.
>not to mention how they have the most dialog out of all the TES games to date.
The most copypasted dialogue out of all TES games to date, you mean? Skyrim's vendors have the same issue and it was one of the worst parts of Skyrim's NPCs, now imagine that but in EVERY Morrowind NPCs except for the truly unique ones.
>Be glad that bloodmoon is a thing, but "really bad directions"? You can do better than that.
I agree that Bloodmoon massively improved the journal. Though there are quests with bad directions, they are in the minority.

What can't be denied, however, is that most quests in Morrowind are so generic that the only thing that makes them stand apart from each other is having to solve them without a quest marker. On a repeat playthrough, when you know where everything is, you will see how boring nearly all of them are. It's not that Skyrim's quests "got boring", it's that the presence of quest markers showed how generic they truly were, which was already a problem back in Morrowind.

>It is not "realistic" to miss people as much as your character does
stopped reading right there, this faggot hasnt played morrowind

>fewer wepons, armor and spells than Morrowind
it's shit

Quality > quantity, a lesson bethesda never took.

>What can't be denied, however, is that most quests in Morrowind are so generic that the only thing that makes them stand apart from each other is having to solve them without a quest marker. On a repeat playthrough, when you know where everything is, you will see how boring nearly all of them are. It's not that Skyrim's quests "got boring", it's that the presence of quest markers showed how generic they truly were, which was already a problem back in Morrowind.

What makes Morrowind's quests compelling is how they tie into Morrowind as a whole. The Dark Brotherhood from Oblivion is good for a direct comparison. The quests themselves are better designed and more varied than the Morag Tong quests from Morrowind, which typically amount to no more than go to location and kill someone. But they're also very self contained. The quests don't give you any insight to the province. Some random person wants some other random person dead or someone wants to attain more power within the guild itself. The Morag Tong, on the other hand, is an important part of Morrowind's culture. It's compelling to learn that and why Morrowind has a secretive yet legal guild of assassin's. The quests themselves often deal with the internal and external house politics and you see another piece of the puzzle that makes up Morrowind by doing them. Whether you're helping the Imperial Legion maintain it's grip on the province or going on a pilgrimage for the Tribunal Temple, you're always putting those pieces together.

Game's an RPG not an action game. Finding resources in the world and utilizing them is fine, but I agree the game could benefit from you being limited in how many potions you can use.

Also being able to become really strong is not a bad thing, what's bad is if you read a guide on how to do it really, or exploit stuff and complain later. Ultimately the freedom is refreshing and welcomed by many players.

>copypasted dialogue
The only bad part about skyrim's vendors is you get tired of HEARING them say the same phrase. That's not a problem in morrowind of course. If you learned about a topic you can just not click it again. Also many NPCs in morrowind have different opinions in certain topics, while in other topics it's just not really necessary.

They did with Oblivion and Skyrim

they have the same issues as Morrowind, Oblivion's copypasta caves and ruins are laughable, sure you have 50 or whatever amount of dungeons, but they all literally look the exact same, it's the same assets rearranged in a different way over and over until you're sick of looking at the same crap

Oblivion has like 200 dungeons fyi

Both Oblivion and Morrowind had copypasted dungeons, their lead dungeon designer had a big long article about this.

By the nine

There a mod to increase the draw distance in OpenMW? And where can I download the latest version of the multiplayer mod?

There should be distant land options for OpenMW

and they all look the same, they clearly have a quantity over quality approach

it was just fyi

Aren't the guys strolling around upper Balmora not part pf quests? The strong nord and the redguard and the lady.

>Have 110 Enchantment
>Use Golden Saint to make on use on target Damage Health 100
>Can machine gun shoot it
Did I break the game?

>muh immersion

Attached: d90.png (644x800, 15K)

I played Morrowind after Skyrim and I think it’s the better game. I have no nostalgia for it.

I too fellow youngster played Morrowind after Skyrim and agree.
It is a shame they can't go back to the way they made when I was young... I mean the way they used to.

That is E Plurubus Unum.
It's going to break an become boring unless you work at maintaining a challenge.

Usually at that point people are done with the game. It takes a lot of gold and time to get there.

base game it isn't
with tribunal it's good

OP here, forgot to mention I found this on the steam discussion forums for morrowind. I actually am enjoying morrowind, I've got about 10 hours on my playthrough now.

The combat isn't amazing but I'm used to dicerolls by now, I don't think the directions are even that bad a lot of the time it's just following a road.