DUNE OPEN WORLD RPG INCOMING!

www.pcgamer.com/amp/funcom-is-making-an-open-world-multiplayer-dune-game/

>tfw we might actually get a decent open world RPG Dune game

Attached: dune-book-cover.jpg (524x725, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nopy.to/p0Almeby/BehindTheDuneV2-15.EXE
youtube.com/watch?v=KJgql2dXAiI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

neat i guess

you haven't really played anything funcom since dreamnigger have you?

this will never happen/be good/anything

>funcom
so it'll be survival crafting shit like conan exile

It would have to be from heretics

>Funcom

Alright, which one of you fuckers was it?

Attached: Monkey-Paw-.jpg (225x225, 6K)

how would you even do an open world dune game? if you limited the scope to just arrakis, the open world exploration would be boring af beyond riding sandworms if you were a fremen. they should make a 4x dune game, that would work better.

>funcom mmo
Y-yaaay

How the fuck does Funcom keep getting these licences to ruin!? They wouldn't let EA rerelease the Dune RTSes but they'll let Funcom make this!

Final version of superior Dune game, coming through

nopy.to/p0Almeby/BehindTheDuneV2-15.EXE

>Funcom

Yeahno

>Dune (in this period of time where the average attention span is a match of fortnite and people have issue to read more than a book page per day)
>Open world
>Multiplayer (with a niche franchise)
>The guys from conan exile

I mean more red flags? Its the fucking kremlin.

>Final

Wait, he's done with the game? I have a hard time believing that.

>kremlin
>red flags
1950s called, they want their joke back
Should have gone with china

>You can consider that update like my last “big” update for Behind the Dune. In march, I take decisions on what’s next. It will be Vega Hunters OR the sexy Choose your Adventure app. I need to meet the colleagues.
On BTD, I will correct what has to be corrected depending on what I find, and depending on your feedbacks. Like: Did the “hide Interface” and “fullscreen” options worked for your device ? Did that bring unexpected problems for your device ?

I thought Conan Exiles was decent, the world design was great, the maps looked interesting had loads of verticality, crafting was challenging and complex but not intimidating, allowed you to build basically whatever you want. Combat was trash though , combat was broken actually thinking bout it, still potential for a Dune game though

this

Oh, neat. I hope he continues to work on Vega Hunters then.

>funcom

Attached: 1538363102603.jpg (882x960, 76K)

I thought the movie was great and a good complement to the book while not being a copy, kinda like fight club

>multiplayer
Into the trash it goes.

>Funcom in 2019

Attached: 1550347723275.gif (200x200, 948K)

Dune: the story of black gay midget matriarchy with rich white liberals as their protectors fighting against the evil Trump people.

2019 everyone, drink it in.

Rts like dune 200 but imo like you said the best way would be a 4x a la Endless space

It's gonna be Conan Exiles but Dune. It's fucking awful that garbage Funcom is sitting on the Conan license, making sure no one can make a good Conan game.

Agreed. Its more of a guilty pleasure for me but yeah Dune 1984 is underrated as fuck. Honestly, everything surrounding that movie is interesting as fuck like the original cut that was supposedly 5 hours long to the fact that some theaters handed out dictionaries for the vernacular. Very odd stuff.

does Funcom make anything fun?

>multiplayer
>open world
It's literally nothing

>funcom
My sides are in orbit

Attached: 1541557451869.png (600x610, 565K)

Funcom is probably ran by 90% trannies now

Attached: 1546847903502.jpg (1651x1100, 862K)

Anarchy Online WAS fun, but it then got boring after being same content for over 10 years

isnt conan too old for copyright?

>mmo
>open world
>fuckcom
Whatever.

And everyone gets a Shai mount... MMOs were a mistake.

The stories are public domain, but the character isn't.

>open world multi-
stopped reading right there

No, some of the original stories are now old enough to be public domain but the character is still owned by a licensing company.

uhh excuse me sweetie, but they made the best mmo

No piece of Dune media tie in will ever be good.

Attached: FossDuneGuildTug.jpg (600x443, 267K)

>open world
Oh boy I can't wait to capture 247 harkonen camps and clear 36 regions of the one sandworm menacing each

An open world RPG is just about the last thing I'd want, but I'll keep an eye on it because it's Dune, I guess.

Doesn't say anything about "RPG" in the article, though.

jodorowskys would have been very good

At least weaponized screeching will be intuitively familiar for today's average Internet user.

>open world
>multiplayer
It's gonna be shit

Got the mobile version?

>multiplayer
trash

>open world multiplayer

Attached: 1532913638307.png (492x503, 439K)

>Funcom

Attached: 1424076007080.jpg (468x400, 36K)

The stories are conan himself isn't. It's wierd

That's from the movie, not the books. In the books they basically just learn super martial arts.

Watch jodorowskys what if the original movie came out
Also
Read the metabarons the story is neat butt the juan jimenes artstyle is god tier

Attached: 155491.jpg (686x1200, 200K)

I love the Lynch movie but it's a fucking mess. I have basically the same opinion of it that Harlan Ellison did.
youtube.com/watch?v=KJgql2dXAiI

1st mod released replaces all dialogue with "SPICE MUST FLOW"

Call me when the better sci-fi series get a vidya adaption.

Attached: 51ec2-ioi6l.jpg (349x524, 40K)

Implying it wouldn't be based on Lynch's version. It's what the majority of potential customers are going to expect.
And I might finally need a refresher read, but didn't Paul only teach his fedayeen the Gesserit jitsu?

didn't really like consider phlebas desu,

Read that book recently, it was pretty garbo desu

I think considering all the bullshit that went behind that movie before Lynch was put in charge, he probably did the best he could. Like Ellison said, the real miracle is it even got made and released.

Funny thing is Frank Herbert was just so exicted that his book was being made into a movie. He was smiling and happy on set the whole time.

You could've at least said Foundation.
How the fuck would Foundation even work as a game when Asimov's whole thing was heroes saving the day with their wits instead of action? Point and click adventure?

>Implying it wouldn't be based on Lynch's version.
In fairness if there's one thing that movie is amazing at, it's visuals you'll never forget. No matter how dumb you think it is, no one is going to forget naked Sting with his anime hair.

who's the dev and publisher?

>book is boring and cringey
>publisher knows this, so he puts an awesome giant sandworm on the cover
>it sells like crazy
Giant worms sell, people. It's just a fact of life.

I will only buy if I can lead the based and redpilled Harkonens to victory and receive my very own shota slave as a reward

>funcom

Attached: 1541615603842.jpg (720x862, 55K)

I know part of it was because I was Paul's age (15-16) when I first read the book as a teen, but I really took to Dune and loved it. I think it's great.

>funcom

GARSH, I sure do love me some open world crafting

So since it's funcom, does that mean if I play as a Fremen then I craft water from my own piss?

>Funcom
>multiplayer
>basically going to be half-assed like Conan Exile
Fuck this timeline

Brainlet and/or Zoomer detected.

Real talk, am I the only one that liked Secret World?

>How the fuck would Foundation even work as a game when Asimov's whole thing was heroes saving the day with their wits instead of action? Point and click adventure?
Perhaps a inventor hero? Like Batman or Ironman, I know they have action stuff, but they are also smart

>dune but made by bethesda
>you find jet from abandonned sietch

Attached: 1538996958473.gif (931x682, 426K)

No I meant in terms of what kind of game it'd be.

It says THREE GAMES MINIMUM. The MMO is only one, so what are the other two?

Should I get into it? I have a mid-range PC and don't normally into MMOs or Rustlikes, it's mainly the Conan setting that has me interested

Okay....? I don't give a shit. Nobody does. Why did you bother replying when you have nothing to say? Anyways.

I'm not sure the public is ready for a full fledged Dune game, what with all the slavery, pedophilia and drugs in that universe. Plus you'd need to make the combat really good and that depends on the scale of the world.

mobile strategy game and battle royale

>no one is going to forget naked Sting with his anime hair.

Kek, part of me kinda hopes he's involved with the upcoming reboot somehow. Even as a quick little cameo or something.

Attached: 1537118282828_dunemovieposterstingfeydrauthav3.jpg (1366x2049, 498K)

>funcom

heh

>funcom

Attached: 1541625314183.jpg (500x670, 109K)

>Foundation
is fucking garbage.

it only gets good when it crosses over into Robots cycle which is exactly one novel

Good actor despite saying only a few lines in the movie. Carried it purely through body language.

Well, perhaps something made by Telltale could work, if they still were active.

>Funcom is currently working with Petroglyph on Conan stuff
>Petroglyph is former Westwood devs whose expertise is RTS
BATTLE FOR DUNE IS COMIN BACK BABY

i hope not

>standard mmorpg with formulaic quest-loot-grind playloop and guady scenery designed to coddle them
>it's ineffectual, you can only build your character proper in Arrakis
>all the good loot is in Arrakis
>all the exp is in Arrakis
>the real game is in Arrakis
>massive debuffs, desolate scenery, and difficulty spike make it absolutely painful to play but whoever controls Arrakis controls the server
Arrakis exists to train the faithful.

>pcgaymer.com
Fuck off back to tumblr.

Just tell me the shields will look like they do in the movie

Attached: 9454_1194.gif (320x180, 915K)

>funcom
Oh boy what a totally legitimate company who is known for all of their good games.

It would've worked great as a normal game but I dropped it when the friend I planned to play it with couldn't play. Setting, writing etc. are great, gameplay is meh.

Dune 2 2000 2

You could've just said Emperor: Battle for Dune 2 War for Dune

Dune 40000

Attached: 000000001.jpg (299x168, 9K)

I'll admit it would amuse me if they did this. Just little references to the aesthetic of the Lynch movie.

>40k copies dune
>So dune copies 40k
full circle!

Remake of the original strategy/quest/adventure one.

Attached: dune_2.png (640x400, 17K)

Real talk, when I saw the movie I didn't know it was almost universally panned by critics (David Ansen of Newsweek is afaik the only major critic of the time that actually gave it a glowing review) and most audiences hated it. I really loved it, and when I found out its reputation I was just baffled that so many hated it. I thought at the very least more people would like it.

Aesthetics is by far the movie's strongest point. It's why the Westwood games used its look for their FMVs.

Attached: MV5BYTVhNWJmMjMtNTE5Yy00YjMxLTlhMGMtYmM5NTJmMzE1NDA5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg (1600x680, 121K)

not a mmo

This.
The Culture Series is patrician tier, everyone saying otherwise is a fucking pleb

there's already a pretty good dune game though the update is a bit slow

>I was just baffled that so many hated it. I thought at the very least more people would like it.

The short version is; Audiences at the time were expecting Star Wars 2.0 (it was marketed as such) and got Space Jihad with a David Lynch twist instead. The ironic thing is nowadays Star Wars has being driven in to the fucking ground while Dune remains largely untainted (at least for now)

Hasn't Dune always been a pretty niche thing, even within Sci-fi? I mean I know it has a "loyal" fan following and it's become more socially known over the years through word of mouth mostly. Yet, it's still kind of niche and pretty outdated (the younger generations aren't interested in it). I mean it's interesting, but even myself who is a big Sci-fi and fantasy fan hasn't read / watched any of the Dune media...

You really should read the first book user. The sequels are hit or miss but Dune should be read by anyone who calls themselves a Sci-Fi fan.

It's on my agenda, want to watch the movies once too.

Dune was some of the most popular sci-fi in a time before computers
it's really irrelevant in the modern age

If they are going to make a Dune MMO, then I hope they try to emulate Star Wars: Galaxies. It's the only way it'll work.

>not metabarons
>funcum
yeah ok

Attached: 1550354806907.jpg (596x883, 297K)

Well the whole spice concept and over-reliance on something exterior from oneself is still a prevalent allegory for many things, of course it's an older concept than Dune but because it's such a time-transcending idea it still holds cultural significance.

bump

I think it's because Dune is too weird of a movie to taint and too dense of a book to.....assuming you never read anything Brian and KJA wrote.

>open world
>multiplayer
>funcom
They forgot the survival tag in the headline

Attached: 1454644098446.gif (300x217, 1011K)

>we might actually get a decent

Read the link again.
>www.pcgamer.com/amp/funcom-is-making-an-open-world-multiplayer-dune-game
>funcom-is-making-an-open-world-multiplayer-dune-game
>open-world-multiplayer-dune-game
>-multiplayer-

>conan exiles reskinned
no thanks

>Dune
Oh, sweet
>it's an open world...
PASS

I kind of want this but it would be impossible to do it justice. Without the emotional core it would just be 'EVEN BIGGER ships!'

>funcom
>multiplayer

Attached: 1550843940205.jpg (480x471, 43K)

Get cancer and die, fuckboy

>CTRL+F >funcom
>1/17 results

The seethe on this tranny is intense.

More like Plebtrician. More like Consider Plebs.
Same, Consider Phlebas was just all-around bad.

Spice in the game will be a hot commodity that gives you some temporary buffs and turns your eyes blue after extended use ha

It's going to be a Dune game to Conan Exiles the same way Atlas is to Ark Survival Evolved. Fucking screencap this post you know I'm right.

Attached: 1548272789670.gif (500x281, 1.78M)

Whose dick I gotta suck for a new Dune RTS?

>open world RPG Dune game
I mean yeah I guess technically a giant fucking desert is an open world. Gonna be boring as fuck probably.

>multiplayer
And dropped.

I want a dune game, but not this.

>open world
>multiplayer
Well, I hope the other 2 games will be good.

Sum up your favorite dune novel or concept in one sentence.
>muh golden path

I'd argue Herbert actually made a smart as fuck decision by having the backstory involve humans banning computers/AI and replacing them with biotech. It means he could do bascially whatever without worrying about it seeming dumb or outdated since it's all like an alt-future thing.

Compare to stories that DID use computers written in the same timeframe that grossly misgauged their actual future use

>the same gormless faggots who made the half finished trash Conan Exiles is making a Dune game
Hard fuckin' pass.

Attached: 204-hank-hill-whatever.jpg (208x210, 9K)

Jodorowsky-fags are like Wehrmachtaboos who think the Axis could've actually won the war