What is the best gaming storyline & where does it rank among other fictional works you've seen?

What is the best gaming storyline & where does it rank among other fictional works you've seen?

Attached: Planescape Torment.jpg (800x964, 149K)

Edge of Tomorrow, and it's decent but not really comparable to a great story or non-video-game movie.

Planescape and second. The best book I read is fifth.

I think planetscape is overblown with how good the story is

It's so laden with it that it's practically all frosting

Now actraiser 2 now that was a story

Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Just outside the top 5
> 1. Qualia The Purple
> 2. Serial Experiments Lain
> 3. Mulholland Drive
> 4. Key: The Metal Idol
> 5. Revolutionary Girl Utena
> 6. Persona 2: Innocent Sin
> 7. Promised Neverland (Jailbreak Arc)
> 8. A Lolipop or a Bullet
> 9. Pan's Labyrinth
> 10. Panzer Dragoon Saga
> 11. Secret of The Cerulean Sand
> 12. Uzumaki
> 13. Perfect Blue
> 14. Higurashi Nako No Koro Ni Kai
> 15 .Spirited Away

For pure mind fuck Mario Brothers 2

Utena isn't that good u fookin pleb

>Perfect Blue

Attached: 1551083879161.gif (444x250, 3.04M)

>picks the worst and most boring David lunch
>haha I'm so deep guise I know what umm talking about

You are literally a soulless Jew

Begone Rebecca sugar

>No paprika

Attached: This file name was from tumblr so I changed it so you wouldn't notice.gif (371x266, 1.78M)

MGSV plot >>>>>>>>>>>. Planescape torment

Paprika had good tunes and a surprisingly uplifting climax in spite of the seeming pandering. But it's not top 10 material.

I rank Umineko very high in the mystery genre.

Isn't this the game that got sjwfied in their "enhanced" edition?

a hitchcock ripoff in your top 15 of all time you must be deluded

Nice try Kojima.

No that was Baldur's Gate.

Nah, Planescape: Torment has a very nice Enhanced Edition, with the original writer, Chris Avellone, rewriting some parts that he felt were clunky/bad/unfinished/unclear.

>picks the worst and most boring David lunch
It's like you've never seen inland empire.

Why do gamers think that games and cgi-heavy movies have the best stories? This entire thread is people who have never read a book in their lives claiming that some shitty anime or sci-fi movie or whatever is "the best story ever".

What's your pick for best story ever, and what makes it great?

But Planescape Torment is legitimately well written?
I agree that "best story ever" stuff is bullshit, but you can appreciate good writing if you see it.

This. Most modern gamers (especially on Yea Forums) are the type of people that only watch popcorn movies and think that's a "normal" thing to do.

>but you can appreciate good writing if you see it.
Sadly, a lot of people can't.

Books are overrated. Sure, your Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow or Sound & Fury are great. But it's not like they somehow totally outclass Planescape or Evangelion. They're all on a similar level.

Arcanum is pretty good too. I recommend it to everyone who enjoyed PS:T and original Fallouts.

>Ulysses
>Gravity's Rainbow
>Sound & Fury
>Evangelion

Attached: this is you.gif (630x354, 3.58M)

great argument.

I always find it funny when random people think they know better than the collective literary community and scholars of the past 100 years.

Have you read them?

My favorite novel is L’Étranger, which is odd because I wouldn’t consider myself a nihilist.

>"muh lady"
>"*tips*"

>doesn't even use the "muh" meme right
I'm actually impressed, this is a literary tour de force in the realm of trolling.

Ghost Trick
2. Higurashi anime and manga
1. Bebop

The idea of ranking 'stories' is retarded in the first place. It's all about form. For example Ulysses has been cited, but really the story is just a day in Dublin. It's the form of the novel that makes it so good. If you want to talk about writing, then video game writing is almost universally terrible compared to other mediums (literature, film). Just look at the novelized form of planescape, it's terrible, but that again just highlights how important form is and how it doesn't work when isolated from the game. Avellone is the best writer in video games though, especially if you only consider mainstream stuff.

Attached: 1513602814892.jpg (1000x1392, 239K)

Camus isn't a nihilist

Ah yes, the prose. The prooooooose. the PROOOOOOOSE. There's a reason why the pseuds on this website are always so willing to talk about "the prose" of a book when discussing its merits or flaws. Why attempt to analyze the merits and effects of the literary devices used to add to the development of characters, why attempt to understand the interplay of the perspectives of different characters and the emphasis this places on different themes, the spectrum of ironies used throughout the novel, the historical significance of the novel and the influence it has spawned in literary tradition or the influences seen throughout the work, the specific structure and literary underpinnings of the novel and the way it influences the tone, the author's relationship to the characters and the theme, the presentation of the novel itself to the audience and thus the relationship between reader and text --- why do any of this, when you could talk about "the prose?" You know that you have such a deep understanding of the book, don't you, when you talk about "the prose," the "musicality of it," the "sparseness." What a great artistic touch you have, don't you! Such a highly refined poetic sense! And you feel like such a true reader of literature when you are able to compare these styles: "I am partial to the lyricism of Joyce's prose, as well as the clean and scientific prose of Borges," you might say. What a deep understanding you show! Because the "prose" of a work is such an accessible topic, something that is felt immediately in the body and senses, a nice little sensation and flutter of the heart. Art obviously has nothing else to it, nothing other than the little sensations that I experience, because why should i attempt to understand it on a deeper level than this, when I have such a "refined" sense of the "prose?" Why even attempt to analyze the prose and the poetic and rhythmical underpinnings of it, when I could use a pretty little metaphor for it?

It matters little that virtually every reader of literature has access to the music of the words and so my understanding is not quite so advanced as I would think, that form is something that goes hand in hand with theme, that I missed all the deep relationships between characters and between text and reader that existed in the work and that comprise a large part of the literary merit of the text, for my understanding of "the prose" shows such a mastery of language, a fine-tuned sense of the magical flow of the words! Having understood this work, I may as well move onto the next, the next bundle of pretty sensations to experience, the next bagful of fun linguistic treats!

based

The book or the manga for Qualia?

Unironically great prose.

Manga always

Planescape Torment is a shit game. The only people who think it's good are retarded zoomers who never played it and pretend to be smart.

if you took away player interaction then the best video game story would be around a 6 or a 7/10. the added immersion from being able to move around and act within that world bumps it up to the full 10. even shitty stories are palatable in video games because of this immersion bonus.

"no"

Sadly everytime we try to talk about this game Yea Forums just has to leak into this fucking board to remind that, yes videogames are braindead

because PT is genuinely well written with very well handled symbolism and mythological-like themes.

>muh "muh' meme'

PT is written like shit. Everything in it reads like it was written by a retarded emo.

ok

Attached: 1551257680145.png (285x267, 148K)

I'm pretty sure the last of us beats most oscar winning books like steven king.

Sorry, kid. There's no coming back from that.

Attached: 1530975348574.png (954x121, 8K)

>> 4. Key: The Metal Idol
>muh 2 hour info dumb just before the final episode

POPULAR GAME BAD
OBSCURE GAME GOOD