ITT: books that would make a good Yea Forumsidya adaptation

ITT: books that would make a good Yea Forumsidya adaptation

Attached: Hyperion_cover.jpg (220x383, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sDR8HKC9wgI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiping_Rebellion
youtube.com/watch?v=ItXiO4gl4jM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That book is contrived and gay

Foundation could be a kino grand strat game.

i'm stuck at the fucking union level bros

Attached: invisible man.jpg (260x399, 15K)

Nevernight Chronicle
it would make a really edgy Dishonored

Hyperion is great. Fall is ok

Its Endymion that is fake and gay. Athena Jeebus is an awful character

Blood Meridian

RDR2 should have been it but Cuckstar made it shit

Dune RPG never ever.

One of my fav sci fi books but that would not translate at all to a video game, especially the first one.

Top tier books and an amazing setting.

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (1000x611, 183K)

It'd be a fine point and click game from the late 90s, otherwise although I love the first book I don't see it in vidya form.

pic related though would be a great candidate though in my opinion, retool the flow a little bit and you could have a pretty good Deus Ex-like vidya with most of the game being played as Case bumbling through Alpha Protocol-like dialogue, doing stealth/hacking in cyberspace and some segments with the souped up Molly doing the typical Adam Jensen non-ghost stealth segments with a big body count

Attached: neuromancer.jpg (548x411, 80K)

>trash book makes suitable material for videogame
yes

The Time Machine. Herbert George Wells
Dracula Bram Stocker.

a watchmen game where you play as nite owl and solve elaborate crimes that start out campy and then take a turn for the grotesque
like scooby doo meets law and order SVU

Lord of the fli- oh wait battle royale already covered something similar.

>Dracula. Bram Stoker.

Attached: The-Compleat-Dying-Earth.jpg (414x639, 45K)

Villa straylight and the rue jules verne would be amazing to see in a video game

the first law should have a game or a show

Attached: the_feared.png (1175x679, 1.02M)

no

>The Island of Doctor Moreau
Also

What is the House of Leaves of videogames?

dracula games are pretty good, try them

>dracula
youtube.com/watch?v=sDR8HKC9wgI

Undertale

Literally just about to start this book, what am I in for?

Read this recently, good classic sci-fi

I love this book and it's a damn shame that we'll never see a decent adaption of the first book in literally any other medium

hard to say, as text it's a simple thriller horror game, a lot of games fit
new remedy game looks like house of leaves on surface
as a presentation, also many games fit, games like jazzpunk, edith finch, ethan carter, recent boon of picturesque sidescrollers like ori, or that blind simulator game or that recent eastshade, but eastshade is more like point and click

Attached: RoadsidePicnic.jpg (294x499, 44K)

i know that probably none of you will read this book (because why would you lol) but the nonfiction events in this book are so mind-bending that it would make for one of the greatest games of all time

>make the journey in secret across a civil-war torn land in order to reform the budding kingdom threatening to bring down the old order

>witness genocide contests carried out by generals on their own citizens

>take part in glorious battles with anime-esque resolutions one of the battles literally entails a general ordering his men to dig a trench miles long in order to flood the rebel camp without risking the lives of his own men

>the first twist: your religious crusade has been co-opted by ethnic strife and has taken on a meaning of its own

>the second twist: you lose, but change the fabric of society through your actions in a way that will shape the future of your nation to the present day

the end result: 30 million dead and a kingdom so weakened by their victory that they never recover

real life puts lord of the rings to shame
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiping_Rebellion

Attached: 71Asw9zCsjL.jpg (650x1000, 145K)

>what am I in for?
hm, it's like alien but with actual lore
I liked it a lot.

Any good long Lovecraft work. I haven't finished at the mountains of madness, but the basic premise is some university flies a bunch of their best 1920s era airplanes down to Antarctica for some research and encounter shaggoths I think.

stalker is already a game.

Loved Hyperion. Really enjoyed Fall. Dropped Endymion after 20 chapters.

we dream of historic china set game for decades now, everyone afraid to touch the area
for one it's really hard, secondly too many politics involved, chinese are pissy about everything

It's also pretty drastically different from both the book and the movie.
Especially when it comes to the Wish Granter itself.
There's a handful of very good point-and-click adventure games directly adapting some of his works, and there's a At the Mountains of Madness one too, if I remember right.

>Literally just about to start this book, what am I in for?
Bunch of interesting scifi short stories brought together into an over-arcing mystery plot, be prepared that it leaves a lot hanging for the second book with the over-arcing plot

Attached: frfbfstpx2a4oebbl1qi.gif (1920x1455, 1.56M)

Personally I could go for a 1700-1900 game set in the middle east.

youtube.com/watch?v=ItXiO4gl4jM

There is basically, check out Vivisector Beast Within. Pretty decent shooter with some awesome enemy design.

Hyperion would be a terrible game. Now the Dune Universe, that would have great games.

I watched the movie after the book, and I thought whole movie that paranormal is real in it, Tarkovsky is a hack for fucks sake wasted such great material on his existential bullshit

Attached: 220px-Sabriel_Book_Cover.jpg (220x365, 27K)

>country that systematically murders dozens of millions of its own people in crazy uprisings every century doesn't get good historical games because their politics wouldn't allow it and they are a significant market to pander to
suffering. so many wuxia films would make for top tier action games

I heard this is a great book and I wanna read it as well as more scifi and fantasy but I'm a dummy who struggles to get enjoyment fom a book.

I loved reading non-fiction as a kid but my teacher bgot mad at that and banned me from reading non-fiction. All the fiction books in class were dogshit like "Janie goes to her aunts and finds the button missing from her aunties blouse" now I barely have any moretivation for reading

Attached: download.png (211x239, 9K)

arab decline, meh
middle east is only interesting pre modern age

the zone in the movie is a metaphor for communism

>The Taiping Rebellion began in the southern province of Guangxi when local officials launched a campaign of religious persecution against a millenarian sect known as the God Worshipping Society led by Hong Xiuquan, who believed himself to be the younger brother of Jesus Christ. The goals of the Taipings were religious, nationalist, and political in nature; they sought the conversion of the Chinese people to the Taiping's version of Christianity, the overthrow of the ruling Manchus, and a wholesale transformation and reformation of the state.
>His first contact with Christian pamphlets occurred in 1836 when he directly received American Congregationalist missionary Edwin Stevens' personal copy of the Good Words to Admonish the Age. He only briefly looked over and did not carefully examine it. Subsequently, Hong had supposedly experienced mystical visions in the wake of his third failure of the imperial examinations in 1837 and after failing for a fourth time in 1843, he sat down to carefully examine the tracts with his distant cousin Feng Yunshan, believing that they were "the key to interpreting his visions" coming to the conclusion that he was "the son of God the Father and the younger brother of Jesus Christ who had been directed to rid the world of demon worship."
>Devolving into total war the conflict was the largest in China since the Qing conquest in 1644, and it also ranks as one of the bloodiest wars in human history, the bloodiest civil war, and the largest conflict of the 19th century, with estimates of the war dead ranging from 20–70 million to as high as 100 million, with millions more displaced.
That missionary punched above his weight.

Attached: jesus-christ-1.jpg (516x535, 55K)

Anime book games when?

Attached: 58B07DE7-5DF7-422A-9D0C-3FFA598A069A.jpg (1242x1691, 948K)

Would make a great point and click investigation game

Attached: name-of-the-rose2-600x926.jpg (600x926, 136K)

I am thinking its too hard to give the shrike justice outside the book.

>fail civil service exam a few times
>life is over, no recovering from this
>wait a minute, that pamphlet...
And so, the brother of Jesus Christ attempted to claim his birthright.

I liked both a lot, though the movie's ending with Monkey just felt rather tacked-on. I feel like a direct adaptation would lose some of the pure sense of alienation that comes from not being able to actually see the things being described in the book. It never details the monsters, just simply mentions them offhand and leaves the mental imagery and specifics to your imagination. You're not given the gorey specifics of what happened in the Meat Grinder, but instead left wondering just how horrific it was.

I loved this series' system for death.

>Good sci fi
B A I T

hm, first person detective game in this setting would be amazing, kingdom come monastery section is sort of that
adored monastery section in that game

that's why nobody likes our "arts" peoples, they are too narrow minded they think only about power holders and pat yourself on the back for it

Id imagine this guy would love to make such a game considering he's a fan of the writer and the book

Attached: 56474563452345.jpg (577x625, 67K)

I had that problem coming out of my earlier teenage years, my solution was to just read a chapter a day from a book I found interesting on the surface until I got really into it and read more than one chapter at a time. I believe in you user, you can do it if I can.

It's a metaphor for grogghnauld garroumblphst you retard.

>good Sci-fi
>not only Arthur C Clarke and Isaac Asimov
Cringe desu-ne.

>taipings win
>china totally different
>history totally changed
>huge population of chinese version of mormons
shieet

yeah, that's what was good about it
message of original is completely lost is my main problem

perfect thanks user!

the religious aspects of the rebellion were fraying at the edges even at the height of their success
much like modern china, things were much less sincere / regulated outside of the political heart of the kingdom
it essentially broke down into ideological / ethnic motivations for most of the participants - the development of which i think would make for an interesting story in itself

>Arthur C Clarke
he is a mediocre writer, concepts are fine but he barely implements them

sounds good

Attached: Gene Wolfe.jpg (1629x2500, 1.42M)

I recommend you stay away fromthe books he wrote right before his death.

How would you do an unreliable narrator in vidya?

Arthur C Clarke was a naughty paedo man too

Good taste user, reading House of Chains right now. I can't put it down.

>unreliable narrator in vidya?
same way you do reliable one?

if you only read ender's game don't @ me
the extended universe takes off with some crazy whiplash

Attached: 220px-Xenocide_cover.jpg (220x334, 20K)

100%. I read the Rama series.

ender's game is also pretty good, i'm a sucker for sports anime, it's essentially that

Attached: 6046.jpg (700x681, 396K)

Yeah it's prob my favorite fantasy series. Btw I would recommend you read Return of the Crimson Guard after Reaper's Gale. It's commonly suggested as the main ISE book you should read, the rest are optional.

it always baffled me how different the writing is between the books
it starts off with a young adult soft sci fi and then immediately speaker for the dead goes full autismo and never hits the brakes
bean's books were cool too, best character

Except video games are almost always seen and not told. I guess it could be said Spec Ops The Line or Hellblade have unreliable narrators?

>ywn play a soldier that’s forced to cross the wall for a mission, and ends up getting way over his head
It has a glacier filled with tanned blondes, for god’s sake.

caves of qud is pretty close

>Look at me, what you all consider to be good, I call shit!

What a tedious life you must lead.

nice

Thanks for the advice user, will have to grab it before charging ahead!

that's not what I said,let me translate
he is a mediocre writer- his text is weak, stylistics lacking, characters aren't full
concepts are fine- sciffi parts are good
that simple.

Btw what do you think of Karsa Orlong? I'm curious to see if how I felt is shared by other people and no one I know reads the series.

Attached: 1534656980673.png (1768x1212, 160K)

If you don't know what the book is, don't post.

get out

I've read it, it's dreck.

yikes

Fav character in the book so far. I saw the reveal coming when they kept referring to him as 'that giant' etc. Granted I'm only halfway through as of now so we'll see! My buddy who introduced me to the series told me to hurry up because apparently book 5 is the goat.

>tfw no Moorcock vidya

Attached: elric amano.jpg (500x723, 66K)

what, it fits

I believe he was also caught regualrly going to thailand for lick licks

Not anyone's first choice, but you can't argue against economics. Hope he had a ball.

>invisible man
>sci fi
what did he mean by this

>Fav character in the book so far.

He's actually the main character of the sequel series the author is currently writing.

My idea for it being a game where you take form of the leader and you command the littluns and other characters long enough for them to be rescued with your choices changing the outcomes for better or worse. I believe the concept of the book alone can work on different game styles not limited to my base idea, but I see potential for a vidya adaptation.

Attached: serveimage[1].jpg&sp=e3275c18dae5b285446dc5a478c06067.jpg (560x875, 121K)

Oh rad. What did you think of him user?

Thailand is the first choice for UK paedos going abroad.

There's no fucking way this would translate well into a video game.

Not a book but I'd love to see the same team from Platinum that developed Vanquish do Red Eyes the manga with video game justice for a game adaption.

Attached: Grahad 7.jpg (1017x750, 65K)

There already is a Neuromancer game.

got me to chuckle but it is him writing the diary afterall

playing a stuttering half wit as he survives the early roman empire would be pretty great

Attached: iclaudius.jpg (306x435, 45K)

manga actually works the best for videogames, specially shounen sagas work best for RPGs
there isn't a single one done right yet, fuck I'd even take naruto RPG, make me average ninja during the war climbing the ranks

I like the idea of an ARMOR game. A basic DOOM copy but you're fighting the ants and its a gory melee game with some firearms.

punching through eyes, ripping off limbs and using them as clubs, nuking ant nests

An action RPG of Guin Saga is a dream to me, taking elements from The Witcher games but with a more refined combat.

Attached: guin-saga-1.jpg (570x800, 107K)

>furshit
no thanks

>used to read all the time as a kid
>stephen king, dean coontz in middle school (sucks king is a cuck, fuck twitter for ruining celebrities for me)
>Herbert and Clavell in early HS
>Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy and Kingsley as I graduated
>absolutely fuck all since then, some shitty but fun light novels and that's it
>tfw 28
All of these books look so interesting though. How the fuck do I get back into reading after a decade of letting my brain rot with vidya and shitposting
Just to stay on topic, I think Clavell's work would be amazing games if they made each book its own game. Ofc they'd probably be ots movie games but it would be fun at least

Attached: 1535323781938.png (348x291, 23K)

Serious question: Why are gamers so obsessed with stupid fantasy bullshit? It's boring as fuck.

Go hit up Yea Forums and lurk around so you feel like a brainlet and motivate yourself.

Attached: 1544201091372.jpg (1024x768, 200K)

=>not Mok
>not Raest
>not Gothos
>not Quick Ben
>not the Bridgeburners in general

Fuck all of them. Kruppe is MVP.

Fucking shit opinion and I bet you probably didn't even shed a tear for Coltaine.

Red Eyes could be amazing, a more serious and ''grounded'' version of Vanquish is something I've been hoping for years even though I love the original and I'm a big fan of Red Eyes, shame about the translation though.

Sure, but it's ancient and I was thinking in terms of a modern game for OP's question.

Bull-fucking-shit, mate. I was bawling my eyes out during "The Fall" scene. I just really fucking like Kruppe.

Attached: 1544196805039.jpg (732x498, 50K)

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

Attached: Starshiptroopers.jpg (297x499, 37K)

>They don't know

www.pcgamer.com/amp/funcom-is-making-an-open-world-multiplayer-dune-game/

Any author that makes the technologically superior race of the setting be a bunch of dinosaurs with swords in their arms is okay in my book.

This sounds fucking amazing.

It already got a game.

crossed vidya when?

Attached: 9e4995499a10f25908510608ea92f822._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg (1280x1968, 628K)

The book or the movie? There is a specific difference.

Too inconsistent and edgy. It'll be worse then Hatred

Attached: crossedSJWshit.jpg (600x383, 97K)

Say one thing thing about Logan Ninefingers...

Not a book but I like the idea of a Stronty Dog game.

Attached: Stronty Dog.jpg (182x278, 19K)

as my father used to say once you got a task to do, its better to do it than live with the fear of it...

It'd make a better game than the book, because the book is absolute dog shit and should never have been written.

Made for a good film.

Ignoring the fact that there was a game-
> retool the flow a little bit and you could have a pretty good Deus Ex-like vidya
It's like you didn't even read the fucking book

what's going on here?

Look up Conarium.

Malazan book of fallen

If you make it a 1 to 1 adaptation plot wise you're not going to have much gameplay left outside of the last third of fucking around Straylight, mind elaborating on what bothers you so?

>It'd make a better game than the book,

I don't see how Hyperion would make for a good game. It's a collection of random stories that don't really tie together with most of the major world events (galactic war) never being fully explained. How would the gameplay of living the life of an ancient drunk poet work out? Or the story of a priest who spends forever being killed and resurrected.

Attached: an_artist__s_hands_by_junalesca-d55on6r.jpg (1209x661, 106K)

I didn't mean it would make a good game.
I meant that it was a fucking terrible book. That was the entire point.

Because nothing about Case's plotline lends itself towards making an Immersive Sim. At all. I guess you could restructure the whole game around Molly but at that point it's more of a side story than an adaptation.

>tfw no Nihei vidya

Attached: blame stairway.jpg (1024x723, 167K)

Still alive still alive

I think it does, I'm not saying you need to be running around carrying an arsenal with you, upgrading your character and sneaking through stealth arenas as Case. Rather that the core gameplay is you walking around in the first person looking at things, interacting with them and talking to people like for example in the Observer, which would be a better example in this case now that it popped up in my mind.

If you're one of those people who got mad that they dropped Tom Bombadil out of the LotR movies and want it to be a perfect adaptation I guess I get your point, but otherwise I think what I described wouldn't be too much of a long shot when it comes to delivering on the main idea of the book, which is a washed up hacker getting a second chance to return to life by signing up for a crazy op far beyond him

Then citing Deus Ex was a shit decision on your part.
I don't give a flying fuck about accuracy of adaptation, I'm just saying you can't make Case's story into an Immersive Sim.

One of our biggest failures as a society is that we never made a game where you have a skateboard and a grappling hook.

Attached: 51yI5lXG7IL.jpg (334x500, 57K)

Pretty sure it wasn't a grappling hook

Good. The butter cunt deserves irrelevancy

They're not perfect novels but they would make a great setting for all sorts of games. I think it was even originally envisioned as a pen-and-paper RPG.

Attached: Leviathan_Wakes.jpg (254x391, 31K)

testing

>objective: escape

Attached: eros.jpg (1200x675, 93K)

Just like they do for movies. The adaptations of Canon classics are all trash while pulp airport literature like the godfather or stalker or gob forbid the shining, a Stephen King novel not worth the paper it's printed on, all gave us kino.
What works in a medium doesn't corresponds to what work in another.

amazon is making a series of snow cash

Damn, I fucking loved this book.

I haven't read a good book in such a long time. I spend all my time studying Japanese, playing Japanese video games and watching anime. I love those things but in the end the quality of the actual writing just doesn't compare. Sci fi isn't even that good as far as the writing is concerned but it is still a lot better than any anime or light novel. Honestly the longer I stay in Japan and consume only Japanese things the more I miss and like western things.

Thanks for reading my blog.

It's not a metaphor of anything. Tarko detested metaphor, allegory and symbolism. He went to autistic lengths to remove any trace of it for pure representation of things and feelings.

>amazon

Attached: C50AD364-6807-4934-B32D-028622403DAD.jpg (451x475, 33K)

Glad he took the Tolkien pill

Jules Verne and Phillip Dick are the only two sci-fi genre writers of any literary merit.

I thought Bruce Sterling was pretty good

House of Chains was the climax of the series. Midnight Tides was great, although disconnected.

It went downhill past there. Waited so long for the Crippled God to come out and it was underwhelming. Still worth reading, but dragged on too long.

Damn, that cover is superb.

Maybe if Asimov could write

Its based off ideas for a chinese mmo rpg he got hired to write for but they scrapped the idea before he even had a chance to bring them forth

Lara Croft type of game would be great.

Attached: Starlight and Shadows #01 - Daughter of the Drow by Elaine Cunningham.jpg (579x993, 164K)

I only remember the part where the midget is yelling at the writer with the huge dong to shut up then the writer says she wasn't complaining when she came last night and she blinks and walks away.

Pretty much written for FromSoft

Attached: 1528571428482.jpg (257x388, 21K)

I thought of this too, but I'm not sure how you'd deal with the issue of travel times. They're such an important factor in the stories but you can't exactly expect players to wait months to get anywhere, and yet if you don't you're undermining a lot of what makes the universe work. Kind of makes it hard to do any kind of multiplayer game.

>every single book is either fantasy or sci-fi

Yea Forums has the worst taste in non-gaming media.

Well, Sci-Fi and fantasy are the best genres for video games faggot. No one would play an Atlus Shrugged or The Ego and his Own video game.

Why don't you share some of your superior tastes with us user? Yeah, The Old Man and the Sea would make an amazing video game.

what are fantasy novels with ROMANCE

>CTRL+F
>No Wolfe
Come on bruh, I know all of you faggots don't know anything about Yea Forums but Book of the New Sun is literally the upper echelon of literature.

>tfw no games set in the Culture universe

Attached: ibcp.jpg (179x281, 12K)

The Farseer trilogy
>tfw no fat Molly tits

>Generation P or WE games never ever
Feels bad man.

Attached: 76171.jpg (313x475, 134K)

You play as Powell and Donovan trying to figure out why the fuck the robots are retarded and how to fix em.

Attached: 1533850394103.jpg (350x521, 20K)

>tap shoulder buttons to paddle the canoe

Attached: file.png (334x500, 360K)

Attached: lambdadelto_1923346912485063787_8545030281.jpg (720x405, 48K)

>skill into the enemy mind
>force him to commit sudoku
>trusty animal companion and shit

Daymn, this sounds like medieval Psi-Ops.

>those
>top tier books

user those are shitted out young adult books. The quality of those is about zero. Read tolkien and shit please.

Plus lots of stealth